PDA

View Full Version : Donnell Washington, see ya hope you enjoyed your stay.

chain_gang
06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
From Jsonline

FRIDAY, June 9, 2006, 1:36 p.m.
Packers release Donnell Washington

The Green Bay Packers have released defensive end Donnell Washington, coach Mike McCarthy said today. Washington was drafted by the Packers out of Clemson in the third round in 2004, but never played a game for them.

He spent his entire rookie year on the injured-reserve list with a foot/arch injury that he suffered in training camp. Then last season, Washington was perhaps the final player to make the final 53-man roster, then was inactive all 16 games.

Washington drew McCarthy's wrath when he showed up for the Packers' first minicamp at 345 pounds, at least 10 more than where he was told to be. McCarthy was so livid that he didn't allow Washington to practice that camp. Washington dropped seven pounds since then and was allowed to take part in Green Bay's second minicamp and ongoing organized team activities.

BallHawk
06-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Somebody roll the Happy Day's theme song.

DONNELL WASHINGTON'S FAT ASS IS OUT OF GREEN BAY!!!!!!!

red
06-09-2006, 01:57 PM
another high mike sherman draft pick that turns out to be a complete waste

chain_gang
06-09-2006, 01:59 PM

Sadly, it's so true, and this probably isn't the end of them.

pittstang5
06-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Wow. I'm a little surprised. I didn't think he'd make the final roster, but to release him now and instead of preseason......why? I guess he must be really lazy or something. :roll: I wonder how long until the Texans pick him up. (wink, wink)

red
06-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Wow. I'm a little surprised. I didn't think he'd make the final roster, but to release him now and instead of preseason......why? I guess he must be really lazy or something. :roll: I wonder how long until the Texans pick him up. (wink, wink)

i'm serious, we should be trying to trade these guys to the texans. if sherman was stupid enough to waste high picks on some of these guys, then you can probably get a later round pick from him for the same players

BallHawk
06-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Maybe TT and MM were setting an example. You screw around and are unfit, than get the hell out of Green Bay.

Deputy Nutz
06-09-2006, 02:09 PM
This is bullshit. What is he going to tell his father?

Tony Oday
06-09-2006, 02:09 PM
I like it CYA FATTY!!!!

Murphy37
06-09-2006, 02:10 PM
I like it. There are plenty of other fat turds out there who never played an NFL game that we can bring in. Way to set the standard MM and TT.

RashanGary
06-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Thompson's regime is looking to be the polar opposite of Mike Shermans as GM. Players show the slightest sign of being unruly or unmotivated and they are gone. It seems like guys had 10 chances with Sherman. I didn't hate Sherman as a coach, but as a GM he was worthless. This is a really good sign IMO. Johnny Jolly will probably make the roster and acctually contribute.

BallHawk
06-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Johnny Jolly is the coolest name, also if he does well we can call him the Jolly Giant.

Harlan Huckleby
06-09-2006, 02:44 PM
It doesn't say much for Thompson using a roster spot for him last year.

I don't know, not a mortal sin to make a mistake with the last roster spot. But Thompson was very defensive in his press conference last fall. Most people saw that he was a stiff.

Willard
06-09-2006, 02:45 PM
2 down, 1 to go?

3rd round picks from 2004:
Joey Thomas -- gone
Donnell Washington -- gone
BJ Sander -- hanging in there like a loose tooth

red
06-09-2006, 02:54 PM
2 down, 1 to go?

Joey Thomas -- gone

don't forget we gave up our 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks to get those 3 third rounders

Travbrew
06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
This is bullshit. What is he going to tell his father?

Good question.
Last week I came into work and there was a signed D. Washington football card on my desk that my boss got from Donnell's father. I guess I'll have to use it as a coaster for my beers.
If I run into Mr. Washington, I will ask what he knows or thinks of the situation.

AtlPackFan
06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Wow. I'm a little surprised. I didn't think he'd make the final roster, but to release him now and instead of preseason......why?

I was kind of surprized with the timing of the release too but I guess why spend more time coaching someone if you know he isn't going to be around.

woodbuck27
06-09-2006, 03:11 PM
No kidding (and my guess) that was just a message that there may be more coming.

Cobra Kai
06-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Makes you wonder if his missing yesterdays OTA had something to do with his release or if the release was already in the works and they told him to go home...

Notes: Defense taking it one day at a time
Unit works on forcing turnovers
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: June 8, 2006

Roll call: Defensive tackle Donnell Washington joined the usual no-shows, cornerbacks Al Harris, Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, at the voluntary practice Thursday.

Willard
06-09-2006, 03:14 PM
2 down, 1 to go?

Joey Thomas -- gone

don't forget we gave up our 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks to get those 3 third rounders

Thanks for your kind reminder. That little tidbit is plenty to keep this scowl on my face! The move that just kills me is not just picking a punter in the 3rd, but thinking that BJ is such a hot commodity that its necessary to TRADE UP to get him. Draft rooms around the country must have been rolling on the floor over that brilliant move.

Partial
06-09-2006, 03:24 PM
2 down, 1 to go?

Joey Thomas -- gone

- But -

If Wells and Carroll turn into solid starters, it will be one of Sherman's best drafts.

mraynrand
06-09-2006, 03:55 PM

Washington now joins the distinguished group of round three failures at DT, including Darius Holland, Jonathan Brown, and Steve Warren (all Ron Wolf picks).

Rastak
06-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Johnny Jolly is the coolest name, also if he does well we can call him the Jolly Giant.

I hate that name.....hate it. There was a guy in the Twin Cities that kidnapped a little girl from a store and molested then killed her several years ago. It was bad enough I remembered the assholes name. The guy's name? I kid you not...John Jolly.....not that I blame this guy of course.....I'll just never forget that name.

pbmax
06-09-2006, 04:26 PM
I don't see this story anywhere, except that Washington missed a practice. DOn't see it on JSOnline or KFFL. Did I miss a joke?

red
06-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I don't see this story anywhere, except that Washington missed a practice. DOn't see it on JSOnline or KFFL. Did I miss a joke?

hmmm, interesting

i can't find it anywhere either, not even js online where this thread took its quote from

wait here we go, someone posted the link at packerchatters

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=6/9/2006&id=7074

MichiganPackerFan
06-09-2006, 07:35 PM
When somebody's getting that much cash to perform or risk going back to work at UPS, how can you be such a lazy fat ass???

hurleyfan
06-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Hello Tank, what say ye about the great Sherman as GM?

Another great draft pick right?!

Patler
06-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Wow. I'm a little surprised. I didn't think he'd make the final roster, but to release him now and instead of preseason......why?

I was kind of surprized with the timing of the release too but I guess why spend more time coaching someone if you know he isn't going to be around.

The Packers will be releasing a lot of players in the upcoming weeks. They have to be at 80 by the start of training camp (not including NFL-E players). They have lots of draftees to include in that number, as they sign them. Washington wasn't likely to make the 80 anyway, especially with the relatively large number of D-lineman they already have..

mraynrand
06-09-2006, 10:00 PM
The Packers will be releasing a lot of players in the upcoming weeks. They have to be at 80 by the start of training camp

Shamrock,

You seem to be saying that Washington's release coincides with a need to reduce roster numbers to training camp levels. I find it more interesting that the camp food budget estimates were handed to TT just minutes prior to the release of Washington. Rumor has it that TT asked for the estimates to be refigured.

KYPack
06-09-2006, 10:44 PM
There was also some liability exposure. If the Packers allowed that guy around and he died of heat stroke (or whatever), it'd be on them for allowing him to work in camp.

He was the lock of the year to be cut.

Does anybody want to buy a Sander jersey?

Anti-Polar Bear
06-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Why do people like to make fun of fat overweight DTs? Gilbert Brown played overweight througout his career in GB, yet nobody gives a fuck.

swede
06-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Notice they don't make fun of them to their faces.

oregonpackfan
06-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Cutting Washington is a postive sign that the new HC is not afraid to clean house of the mistakes Sherman made. McCarthy has my support in this decision.

Oregonpackfan

motife
06-10-2006, 01:54 AM
I think the play of John Jolly in the OTA's made the decision for Thompson and McCarthy. Pickett, Corey Williams, Cullen Jenkins, and Colin Cole were so far ahead of Donell, and Donell's apathy made it easy.

mraynrand
06-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Why do people like to make fun of fat overweight DTs? Gilbert Brown played overweight througout his career in GB, yet nobody gives a fuck.

I cared, APB. I cared. So does Nicholas Kristof of the NYT, who recognizes trans fats as a greater evil than even al Qaeda.

wist43
06-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Plain and simple - Washington couldn't play.

All you needed to do was look at him in practice and you could tell immediately that he couldn't move his feet, he played too high, and he couldn't play with leverage.

Makes you wonder what the Packer scouts were smoking when they recommended this guy.

Patler
06-10-2006, 09:45 AM

All you needed to do was look at him in practice and you could tell immediately that he couldn't move his feet, he played too high, and he couldn't play with leverage.

Makes you wonder what the Packer scouts were smoking when they recommended this guy.

Wasn't the Washington pick the one that a story later came out to say caused a few of the scouts to walk out of the room? I remember something like that about one of the Sherman picks, and I vaguely remember it as being Washington.

Maybe I'm hallucinating, too!

Bretsky
06-10-2006, 09:48 AM

You are absolutely right Wist; the Packers spent four draft picks to pick up James Lee and Washington and neither could play or give them any time worth a crap. It IS worrisome that we still have the same scouts though.......but we can still thank God Sherman doesn't run the draft anymore.

B

Patler
06-10-2006, 10:02 AM

You are absolutely right Wist; the Packers spent four draft picks to pick up James Lee and Washington and neither could play or give them any time worth a crap. It IS worrisome that we still have the same scouts though.......but we can still thank God Sherman doesn't run the draft anymore.

B

Most of these scouts were here when Wolf was here too. They did not go from being good evaluators under Wolf to being poor evaluators under Sherman, to maybe being good again under Thompson. While the last two drafts have a lot to prove yet, I don't see any huge red flags for any of higher picks yet from those rounds. Percentages will tell you that many will have short, unproductive careers, but other than Craig Bragg, who was a 6th round pick, we haven't seen total losers like Washington, Lee maybe even Peterson who were traded up for and Thomas, all of who were high picks (1st day picks).

Scott Campbell
06-10-2006, 10:08 AM

http://www.packerforum.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10289/normal_sherman_sleep.jpg

At this moment, everyone at the combine knew that Donnel Washington could not play at the NFL level.

mraynrand
06-10-2006, 10:16 AM
You are absolutely right Wist; the Packers spent four draft picks to pick up James Lee and Washington and neither could play or give them any time worth a crap.
B

Lee is the hottest FA prospect in NFLE. Washington was only slightly worse than Jonathan Brown or Steve Warren. Sherman traded lower round picks to move up in the third and fifth rounds to get these guys. Peterson and Kampman were also picked in the third and fifth rounds, respectively, and they've provided some life. Jenkins was a rookie FA.

YES, Lee and Washington SUCK, and they were wasted picks. Sherman was a marginal GM. But keep some perspective here guys.

BTW, I love that pic of Shermy sleeping at the combine. I can't get enough of it. I tune into NFL network everytime I have insomnia and voila! - INstant cure!

Patler
06-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Lee is the hottest FA prospect in NFLE. Washington was only slightly worse than Jonathan Brown or Steve Warren. Sherman traded lower round picks to move up in the third and fifth rounds to get these guys. Peterson and Kampman were also picked in the third and fifth rounds, respectively, and they've provided some life. Jenkins was a rookie FA.

YES, Lee and Washington SUCK, and they were wasted picks. Sherman was a marginal GM. But keep some perspective here guys.

The hottest FA prospect in NFLE means Lee is one of the best in the botom of the barrel of NFLE. The best NFLE players are not FAs, they were signed by teams already and designated to NFLE. Lee wasn't even good enough for that.

I consider Peterson to be pertty much of a flop, too. he has contributed very little. I do not expect him to be on the final roster this year, but I hope he surprises me.

Steve Warren played and contributed to some extent. He had a knack for knocking down passes. Washington never even saw the field.

oregonpackfan
06-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Lee is the hottest FA prospect in NFLE? I would love to see video clips of his alleged great plays there.

During Lee's stay at Oregon State, I watched every televised game of the Beavers and a few ones in person. I cannot recall Lee ever making a significant play for the Beavers. Please remember that Lee did not even start for the Beavers because his collegiate skills were so marginal.

Sherman, demonstrating his poor evaluative skills of college players, took a second-string defensive lineman and traded up to make James Lee his fifth round pick. Most Oregon State coaches, fans, and sportswriters knew this selection would be a dud for the Packers.

Oregonpackfan

mraynrand
06-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Lee is the hottest FA prospect in NFLE? I would love to see video clips of his alleged great plays there.

C'mon guys! I guess wry humor doesn't translate over the web. Top NFLE FA is like "Senior Grease Trap Cleaner" at Mickey D's.