PDA

View Full Version : PFT - FAVRE IS DONE?

green_bowl_packer
07-21-2008, 07:58 PM
FAVRE IS DONE?
Posted by Mike Florio on July 21, 2008, 8:30 p.m.

We’ve gone 14 straight stories without mentioning Brett Favre, but due to an unconfirmed tip we received today we’ve got to break the string.

We reiterate that this is an unconfirmed tip. Then again, unconfirmed tips have been working out pretty well for us of late, so we’re more inclined than usual to press our luck.

Per the tipster, Favre is abandoning his attempt to return to the NFL. We’re told the Packers presented him with a list of three teams to which they’d attempt to trade him, and that Favre refused each one.

If this is accurate, Favre will be the first high-profile pro athlete who damaged his legacy by not playing for a new team late in his career. Last week’s shameful attempt to win the P.R. battle and to pressure the Packers into letting Brett have his way blew up in Favre’s face, with his surname suddenly less likely to conjure images of championships than to induce nausea.

But even if it’s accurate, look for this thing to continue to bubble up from time to time. We had to endure six years of stories regarding whether he’ll retire; we very well could be destined to have six years of stories regarding whether he’ll unretire.

And if Aaron Rodgers tears, rips, or pops a critical part of his anatomy, it’ll be interesting to see whether the Packers would give him a call — and whether, if they do, Favre will pick up the phone. The events of the last 10 days might have made a zero-year reunion impossible.

Meanwhile, Favre’s apparent decision not to try to return doesn’t change in any way the tampering charge the Packers filed last week against the Vikings. So even though the story of Brett’s potential return could be dead, he did just enough to give us something that we can continue to cover for the next several months.

Whether we want to or not.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/21/favre-is-done/

oregonpackfan
07-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Who are the three alleged teams the Packers would be willing to trade Favre?

Brando19
07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
I was just getting ready to post this. If Favre can't come back and start for the Pack, this is the best scenario as a Packers fan. I guess if this is true, the "When will Rodgers get injured and Brett step in" talk will start up.

Pacopete4
07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
You really think Favre will come back to TT and MM now when they get in a jam if this idea of theirs dont pan out? I highly doubt it...

This young team, and talented and good they are, is being put in an experiment with a unproven QB now... we'll see if TT is a good poker player cuz he's all in...

Lurker64
07-21-2008, 08:11 PM

I'm not sure. The following AFC teams have the cap room to take him: Jacksonville, San Diego, Buffalo, Miami, and Kansas City. Jacksonville and San Diego are set at QB at this point barring injury and wouldn't give Favre a shot at a starter, so I would guess the list consisted of "Buffalo, Miami, and Kansas City".

Bretsky
07-21-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't buy this one bit

But if TT and MM only gave him three teams to consider, then they are both pukes

RashanGary
07-21-2008, 08:13 PM
I do not believe this story. The Packers told Favre they were not having him back, but if Favre is absolutely intent on playing then he still has a couple options.

RashanGary
07-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't buy this one bit

But if TT and MM only gave him three teams to consider, then they are both pukes

If they only gave him three then good for them. They should take it out to the last minute the same way he does every year. It's only fair, right? Favre doesn't need time with the guys, he can jump right in so this should be no problem for him.

Pacopete4
07-21-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't buy this one bit

If they only gave him three then good for them. They should take it out to the last minute the same way he does every year. It's only fair, right? Favre doesn't need time with the guys, he can jump right in so this should be no problem for him.

Harrell.. the best part about that is that he is that good of a QB, and that good of a QB that we probably will never see again so enjoy that position for the rest of your life cuz it'll never get better than it just was, you scum..

Lurker64
07-21-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't buy this one bit

There really are only five total teams that make sense. When you rule out: a) Teams in the NFC and b) Teams that cannot afford to take on his salary. They might have taken out the teams from consideration that they knew wouldn't want him.

There's nothing pukish about refusing to trade him inside your own conference or to waste everybody's time by trying to trade him to a team that can't afford him.

Pacopete4
07-21-2008, 08:26 PM
which are the 5 teams that make sense Lurker?

Lurker64
07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
The following AFC teams have the cap room to take him: Jacksonville, San Diego, Buffalo, Miami, and Kansas City. Jacksonville and San Diego are set at QB at this point barring injury and wouldn't give Favre a shot at a starter, so I would guess the list consisted of "Buffalo, Miami, and Kansas City".

Quoting myself to answer your question. Favre would count $12.7 million dollars against the cap this year if he was traded, and those are the only AFC teams with at least that much cap room.

Out of the NFC teams Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Green Bay, and Tampa Bay are the only teams with the cap room to afford him.

cheesner
07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't buy this one bit

Harrell.. the best part about that is that he is that good of a QB, and that good of a QB that we probably will never see again so enjoy that position for the rest of your life cuz it'll never get better than it just was, you scum..You are probably correct, we have seen the best GB QB we will ever see.

That doesn't mean:

- it wasn't time to move on.
- we won't have SB success in the future.
- that Favre handled this entire situation very well.
- that the Packers are not better off right now going with AR

Please note, I did not say AR is better than BF. Just that we might be better off. The NYG were better without Shockey last season, yet Shockey was a better TE than his back up.

Pacopete4
07-21-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't buy this one bit

Harrell.. the best part about that is that he is that good of a QB, and that good of a QB that we probably will never see again so enjoy that position for the rest of your life cuz it'll never get better than it just was, you scum..You are probably correct, we have seen the best GB QB we will ever see.

That doesn't mean:

- it wasn't time to move on.
- we won't have SB success in the future.
- that Favre handled this entire situation very well.
- that the Packers are not better off right now going with AR

Please note, I did not say AR is better than BF. Just that we might be better off. The NYG were better without Shockey last season, yet Shockey was a better TE than his back up.

Cheesner, you could be exactly right and to be honest I hope you are since it will be Arod this season, I just think Harrell is an unappreciative little prick, ya that about sums it up...

Lurker, sorry bud.. I guess I should learn how to read? haha

SD GB fan
07-21-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't buy this one bit

the fact that they even considered the idea of listing teams in advance is enough. any other player, and he would be gone and TT would have more draft picks to play with. and three teams sounds about the right number anyway. first, favre will probably not play for the NFC at all in the chance that packers play them. second, the teams on this year's schedule is off the list. so that basically leaves the AFC west, north, and east (since we play with afc south).

afc west-chiefs
afc east-bills, jets, dolphins
afc north-maybe baltimore but i don't think they have cap room

so there are only really 4 teams to consider and maybe TT was nice and scratch off dolphins because they are rebuilding from the bottom up.

pbmax
07-21-2008, 08:38 PM
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

-Eliot

pbmax
07-21-2008, 08:40 PM
If correct, I stand corrected. I didn't think T2 would be able stand on the backup and trade ground. I'm not sure this ends it though, he can still report to camp and then it starts all over again.

Joemailman
07-21-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't think Brett wanted to be traded anyway. If he's decided to stay retired, it's because he figures Minnesota is out of the picture. I think that's the only team he was looking to join.

Bretsky
07-21-2008, 08:45 PM
I don't buy this one bit

HE SURE DRAGGED THINGS OUT TIL THE END THIS YEAR

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: [/b]

Bretsky
07-21-2008, 08:47 PM
The following AFC teams have the cap room to take him: Jacksonville, San Diego, Buffalo, Miami, and Kansas City. Jacksonville and San Diego are set at QB at this point barring injury and wouldn't give Favre a shot at a starter, so I would guess the list consisted of "Buffalo, Miami, and Kansas City".

Quoting myself to answer your question. Favre would count $12.7 million dollars against the cap this year if he was traded, and those are the only AFC teams with at least that much cap room.

Out of the NFC teams Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Green Bay, and Tampa Bay are the only teams with the cap room to afford him.

Gosh I hope that's not the argument you are making; anybody can rearrange cap space today to make deals work

retailguy
07-21-2008, 08:50 PM

Gosh I hope that's not the argument you are making; anybody can rearrange cap space today to make deals work

BINGO! :idea:

Tyrone Bigguns
07-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I still think, if he is traded, that Tampa is where it will be.

Why? Cause the only team that plays West Coast offense.

I know many will say that he won't get traded there cause NFC team, but i don't agree.

Yes, we play them...but, on the road....so, we wouldn't have the favre love'in as expected at Lambeau.

I think TT can handle that kind of heat.

Bretsky
07-21-2008, 09:00 PM

I know many will say that he won't get traded there cause NFC team, but i don't agree.

Yes, we play them...but, on the road....so, we wouldn't have the favre love'in as expected at Lambeau.

I agree that TB is the most logical place; I don't agree that TT can handle the heat.

TT does not want Favre to play. I still don't believe the story but if TT gave Favre a few teams they were probably teams that he figures Favre will not go to. Everything the Packers have done the past few weeks PR wise...with several people sending messages...have been designed to keep Favre from coming out of retirement

HarveyWallbangers
07-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I doubt they gave him just three teams as an option. Packers management might have given him a list of teams they don't want him playing for, but it makes no sense that the Packers would give him a least of just three teams. If they were okay with trading him, I'd think they'd be all for trading him to any AFC team. Why not get something for nothing. That would be in the best interests of the Packers.

pbmax
07-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Sure you can rearrange the cap. But $12 million is a lot of rearranging no matter how you slice it. And once you factor in teams not in the market for a 38 year old starter or the teams that would not view Favre as an upgrade, then you are in the single-digits.

What is unknown would be Favre's willingness to work for a cheaper base salary and incentives. That might open a few doors.

YAHTZEE! :!:

BINGO! :idea:

Bretsky
07-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I doubt they gave him just three teams as an option. Packers management might have given him a list of teams they don't want him playing for, but it makes no sense that the Packers would give him a least of just three teams. If they were okay with trading him, I'd think they'd be all for trading him to any AFC team. Why not get something for nothing. That would be in the best interests of the Packers.

Agree; I'd be fine with him getting trades to a NFC team as well. I'd agree that we should keep him out of the division

Tyrone Bigguns
07-21-2008, 09:12 PM

I agree that TB is the most logical place; I don't agree that TT can handle the heat.

TT does not want Favre to play. I still don't believe the story but if TT gave Favre a few teams they were probably teams that he figures Favre will not go to. Everything the Packers have done the past few weeks PR wise...with several people sending messages...have been designed to keep Favre from coming out of retirement

The packers can't stop Favre from coming out of retirement. It is that simple. And, TT is smart/cold/analytical enough to not care one way or the other if Favre plays now. At this stage TT is all about trading him.

TT already had faced the unknown...not having favre this year..so favre coming back equals more picks...it is that simple.

TT can handle the heat...he has been doing it for several years...took it when he "dismantled" the team.

pbmax
07-21-2008, 09:15 PM
How many AFC teams do you see lining up to trade for Favre? If there is a list, then it would be logical the Packers have made calls.

How many teams can you scare up in the AFC that are trading for Favre?

pbmax
07-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Not trading:
Patriots, Colts, Jaguars, Steelers, Browns, Bengals, Chargers, Raiders, Titans, Broncos

Possibly:
Texans, Dolphins, Bills, Chiefs, Ravens

Leaked No Interest:
Jets

If I was drawing up odds, I might inch the Ravens up, as I am not convinced by Flacco and dreck. But I might move Miami down as they have two first day QBs on the roster waiting for a chance to sort themselves out. Even Parcells gave the homegrown QBs in Dallas a year or two before importing Bledsoe.

HarveyWallbangers
07-21-2008, 09:30 PM
How many AFC teams do you see lining up to trade for Favre? If there is a list, then it would be logical the Packers have made calls.

A list that the Packers would be willing to trade him to and a list of teams that could or would want to trade for him aren't the same.

pbmax
07-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Well this could all be whistling into the wind, but if you were to supply Favre with a list, would it be one that you had done some research on or would it be theoretical?

That is not a rhetorical question. I think, if this alleged scenario were to be accurate, then the Packers would be crazy to list teams as possible trading partners that hadn't shown interest.

Three teams could have agreed to the parameters of the deal. Of course, then I would expect THAT to leak, not the list.

A list that the Packers would be willing to trade him to and a list of teams that could or would want to trade for him aren't the same.

MJZiggy
07-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Well this could all be whistling into the wind, but if you were to supply Favre with a list, would it be one that you had done some research on or would it be theoretical?

That is not a rhetorical question. I think, if this alleged scenario were to be accurate, then the Packers would be crazy to list teams as possible trading partners that hadn't shown interest.

Three teams could have agreed to the parameters of the deal. Of course, then I would expect THAT to leak, not the list.

I thought they asked HIM for a list...? and didn't TT want him reinstated before he'd talk to other teams about Favre?

Partial
07-21-2008, 09:41 PM

I'm not sure. The following AFC teams have the cap room to take him: Jacksonville, San Diego, Buffalo, Miami, and Kansas City. Jacksonville and San Diego are set at QB at this point barring injury and wouldn't give Favre a shot at a starter, so I would guess the list consisted of "Buffalo, Miami, and Kansas City".

You used to be a decent poster but you've been rather harrell like lately. Wouldn't give him a shot at starting? Says whom exactly?!? Man... you seem to lack the basic understanding of what teams will do to get to a super bowl.

pbmax
07-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Zig, the "Packers asked for a list of acceptable teams" quote was from Greta in an AP interview prior to the first of the 29 part interview. Last time I checked the transcript (after part 3) that quote was not there and I don't think it made the broadcast. Still, Greta is on record with it and its possible.

Thompson's public stance is that he can't do anything until Favre unretires. This could just be buying time with the public. He can call and look for trading partners even with Favre on the shelf. He could have done this within the rules even if Favre had never expressed a desire to return.

So if Favre believes that he cannot trust Thompson, he might not have coughed up a list. That would leave the Packers with the job of calling around, should they think its beneficial to move him early rather than risk him coming to camp.

At this point, the PFT story looks a little wobbly, as I said, if it got to this point, I would expect rumors of trade parameters, not a list sent to Favre. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that we may be missing puzzle pieces.

I thought they asked HIM for a list...? and didn't TT want him reinstated before he'd talk to other teams about Favre?

pbmax
07-21-2008, 09:56 PM
I do not see the Chargers sitting Phillip Rivers for Favre. Rivers has made the payoffs two years in a row and is much younger. Of course, like everyone except Manning, Rivers has an injury to get through.

And Jacksonville had a superb season from Garrard last year. He is the coach's hand picked choice over previous incumbent Leftwich. He is not sitting for Favre.

Barring injury, which can certainly happen, I don't think those are likely landing spots.

You used to be a decent poster but you've been rather harrell like lately. Wouldn't give him a shot at starting? Says whom exactly?!? Man... you seem to lack the basic understanding of what teams will do to get to a super bowl.

falco
07-21-2008, 09:58 PM

partial, you're about the closest thing to harrell there is here, so you shouldn't talk

EDIT - i complete agree with lurker - both SD and JAX both have young, promising QB's that they wouldn't bench for Favre in his twilight years

HarveyWallbangers
07-21-2008, 10:08 PM

I'd think the Packers would give him a list and vice versa, and then let his agent work out a trade. This has happened in a lot of other instances. I'm sure Favre would be willing to re-negotiate his contract. There are some teams (that aren't on your list of teams with available cap space) that might be willing to move money around to clear up that cap space for him. It's up to Bus Cook to find the right team and the right contract, and then the Packers and that team to find the right compensation.

Jimx29
07-21-2008, 10:10 PM
TT can handle the heat...he has been doing it for several years...took it when he "dismantled" the team.Yea, but if he happens to trade away one of thee best icons in all of football, he better hope he's living in a gated community. There are some heavy drinking diehard Packer fanatics out there that would not take to that very kindly.

woodbuck27
07-21-2008, 10:30 PM
If this is accurate, Favre will be the first high-profile pro athlete who damaged his legacy by not playing for a new team late in his career.

Now that's a REAL PIECE of GARBAGE fr. PFT really really bad.

I won't even debate it.

Lurker64
07-21-2008, 10:41 PM
EDIT - i complete agree with lurker - both SD and JAX both have young, promising QB's that they wouldn't bench for Favre in his twilight years

That's exactly it. The Chargers and the Jaguars expect/hope Rivers and Garrard to be their quarterbacks for many more years. If either of those teams took on Favre and sat Rivers or Garrard, they would damage their relationship with last year's starting QB significantly and these are guys who other teams would want to snap up if they're allowed to hit the market. Rivers/Garrard give their teams a good shot at both winning the superbowl now, and also winning the superbowl in 10 years.

Even if Favre is better than Rivers/Garrard at this point in his career, it just doesn't make sense to give up what that QB can give you every year for the next 5-7 years for 1-2 years of Favre who is not a dramatic upgrade (since San Diego and Jacksonville have good QBs to begin with).

Both SD and JAX have a legitimate shot at the superbowl this year (they're definitely two of my favorites), without Favre. Why would they give up anything to get him?

woodbuck27
07-21-2008, 10:52 PM

The packers can't stop Favre from coming out of retirement. It is that simple. And, TT is smart/cold/analytical enough to not care one way or the other if Favre plays now. At this stage TT is all about trading him
TT already had faced the unknown...not having favre this year..so favre coming back equals more picks...it is that simple.

TT can handle the heat...he has been doing it for several years...took it when he "dismantled" the team.

Who's 'the Good Cop Bad Cop' today? I agree that TT is doing all he can to force Favre to retire having played his last game as a Packer. The story will be just how much TT felt that was best for Brett Favre. Ohhh Ted. This isn't over because after the season Favre had last season if he wants to play he's getting shafted. This is clear.

Imagine your Brett Favre.

For all that is holy could you just try to go there? Management takes your job away and gives it to some young fella with ZERO starting experience and do all you can to eliminate > 12 million dollars from the CAP and still have ""the Favre appreciation BS night".

TT 's not at all good and not that good.

Favre just has to get away from Ted Thompson. TT redefines the term......... ' control freak '. Under no circumstance do I want to see Favre back in the Green and Gold as this has gone. Now he may report and apply more pressure but TT sucks under pressure. Your all going to see. Your going to see. Your going to see.:D It can't be over as this has been handled.

It's outrageous. I wanted Brett Favre to just STOP, as he's getting burned in Green Bay. He's the best QB in the NFC last season and still too many people here would stab his back.

You know your all going to hell if you don't clean up your acts? hahaa :D

karma... Ladies and gentleman. You'll see. Ohh yea.

packers11
07-21-2008, 10:59 PM
PFT...

Favre is done?

I remember a year ago...

"Randy Moss to GB. Deal Done ...."

I'll believe it when I see it...

woodbuck27
07-21-2008, 11:26 PM
PFT...

Favre is done?

I remember a year ago...

"Randy Moss to GB. Deal Done ...."

I'll believe it when I see it...

Favre must rise from 'the flames'.

Lurker64
07-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Favre must rise from 'the flames'.

Brett's playing hockey in Calgary?

GBRulz
07-21-2008, 11:40 PM
This sounds horrible to say, but I would almost welcome this news right now.

We haven't signed any of our picks...Grant is still without a contract.... I sure hope there is some action in the next few days as camp opens this weekend.

Lurker64
07-22-2008, 12:10 AM
We haven't signed any of our picks...Grant is still without a contract.... I sure hope there is some action in the next few days as camp opens this weekend.

While I can't speak too much about the Grant situation, we aren't far out of the norm when it comes to signing draft picks. There are teams with as many picks left to sign as we do who start camp several days sooner (the Colts, for e.g.). First round picks are the hardest to sign and only 6/31 of those are signed. There's only one team with all their picks signed (the Redskins).

It looks like the whole NFL is delaying putting of signing draft picks this year, and likely for reasons other than "we've been unable to reach a deal."

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2008, 12:44 AM
We’re told the Packers presented him with a list of three teams to which they’d attempt to trade him, and that Favre refused each one.

Duluth Eskimos, Arizona Rattlers, Miami Dolphins

Partial
07-22-2008, 12:51 AM
I do not see the Chargers sitting Phillip Rivers for Favre. Rivers has made the payoffs two years in a row and is much younger. Of course, like everyone except Manning, Rivers has an injury to get through.

And Jacksonville had a superb season from Garrard last year. He is the coach's hand picked choice over previous incumbent Leftwich. He is not sitting for Favre.

Barring injury, which can certainly happen, I don't think those are likely landing spots.

I agree with that, but to say given a chance to bring Favre in at some arbitrary cost and wouldn't give him a chance to start is foolish. Competition is good, a chance to bring in a guy to put you over the top is even better.

Partial
07-22-2008, 12:53 AM

partial, you're about the closest thing to harrell there is here, so you shouldn't talk

You're an idiot, then.

But, I agree with you. Favre easily is a better quarterback then both of them for right now and would probably win the job if given the chance.

Now, would the GM bring him in? Unlikely. Their is a difference and Lurker's wording is wrong.

Lurker64
07-22-2008, 04:15 AM
I doubt any team with a starting QB that they're happy with that's young and has significant promise would bring in an aging QB (no matter how good he is) in order to compete for the job. That's a sure way to burn bridges irreparably with the young QB who may well turn out to be a first ballot hall of famer. In April of 1993 the San Francisco 49ers were shopping Joe Montana for a trade. At that time Green Bay had a young promising QB that had only 12 starts under his belt, but showed significant upside. However, in the spring of 1993 there was no question in anybody's mind that Joe Montana would be a better QB for the 1993 season than the young #4 for the Packers, but do you think Wolf (who we all respect as a GM) would have for one second considered bringing Montana in to compete with Favre for the starting job?

He wouldn't have, and if he did he would have been wrong. Sure, we might have won more games in 1993 and 1994, but would Favre really have wanted to stick around after that?

You don't bring in a guy to compete for the job when you're convinced you're set at QB (enough for a superbowl run), no matter who that guy is.

Neither the Chargers or the Jags would trade for Favre with the intention of allowing him to compete for the starting position, moreover if Favre was traded to either of those teams I am not convinced that Favre would win the starting job, particularly because Brett's preseasons have been underwhelming if not "actively unimpressive" for the past few years. If Garrard or Rivers outperformed Favre in the preseason (which is not unlikely), does anybody believe they would still give the aging superstar the starting job (in a year they have serious superbowl aspirations, no less) simply because he's Brett Favre?

Trading Favre to JAX or SD might be worthwhile for the Packers (after all those teams have a lot of good players), but neither the Bolts nor the Jags would consider it for a second.

RashanGary
07-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Maybe the Packers found three teams willing to trade for Favre that they would accept. They then told Favre that these are the options right now. Favre said no.

Still, if worse comes to worse it's going to come down to Favre asking for reinstatement right at the start of the season and the Packers being forced to pay him and keep him as a backup until a trade comes up or release him.

sheepshead
07-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Just heard - the three teams were:

Patriots
Colts
Hamilton Tiger-Cats

cpk1994
07-22-2008, 07:37 AM
If this is accurate, Favre will be the first high-profile pro athlete who damaged his legacy by not playing for a new team late in his career.

Now that's a REAL PIECE of GARBAGE fr. PFT really really bad.

I won't even debate it.Good. That saves 30 sec of everyone elses lives wasting their time reading it.

Fritz
07-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Well, Bretsky, there is some limit to that. Many teams can work out cap room, but there are some, I'm sure, who wouldn't be able to re-work enough contracts.

I'm not so sure that TT wouldn't trade Favre to an NFC team - not a North team, though. But would he trade Favre to a contender like Tampa Bay? I'm not sure. Although if Tampa dangled some high picks - like a couple of seconds or a first and second - wouldn't you be tempted?

prsnfoto
07-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't buy this one bit

Speaking of the other idiot Harrell how is his attempted return from retirement back to the NFL going! :twisted:

pbmax
07-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Woody, management didn't take Favre's job away, he retired. The simple definition is that he gave up his job.

Given your devotion to integrity and truth in dealing with others, what do you make out of Favre's inability to make up his mind?

I believe it is calculated and made public for maximum pressure on the team. But other than a timeline, I have no evidence. I am open to other interpretations.

Why the indecision? And does that indecision worry you that he is not truly 100% committed to do what is necessary to prepare in the offseason?

Management takes your job away and gives it to some young fella with ZERO starting experience and do all you can to eliminate > 12 million dollars from the CAP and still have ""the Favre appreciation BS night".

GBRulz
07-22-2008, 11:31 AM

While I can't speak too much about the Grant situation, we aren't far out of the norm when it comes to signing draft picks. There are teams with as many picks left to sign as we do who start camp several days sooner (the Colts, for e.g.). First round picks are the hardest to sign and only 6/31 of those are signed. There's only one team with all their picks signed (the Redskins).

It looks like the whole NFL is delaying putting of signing draft picks this year, and likely for reasons other than "we've been unable to reach a deal."

Well, we don't have any first rounders to sign so I guess I expected some of our late rounders to be signed already. The Colts signed a WR this morning. I know, I know....I"m being impatient and I know that we've never had a pick lose time in camp due to not being signed on time.

I guess I just want some news other than the Favre drama.

OT but I'd love to see a rookie salary cap. These first rounders not being able to reach a deal because they want $50 mil guaranteed is insane.

ND72
07-22-2008, 11:35 AM
I was just getting ready to post this. If Favre can't come back and start for the Pack, this is the best scenario as a Packers fan. I guess if this is true, the "When will Rodgers get injured and Brett step in" talk will start up.

I wish Favre would just put the man pants on, report to camp, and when the battle.

Chevelle2
07-22-2008, 11:45 AM

I wish Favre would just put the man pants on, report to camp, and when the battle.

He has to turn in his papers first.

Gunakor
07-22-2008, 12:26 PM

I agree with that, but to say given a chance to bring Favre in at some arbitrary cost and wouldn't give him a chance to start is foolish. Competition is good, a chance to bring in a guy to put you over the top is even better.

Partial, Favre has made it very clear he does not want a competition. He wants to be the guaranteed starter. Under no circumstances would he ever be a backup to anybody. He's made that clear. He's not going to agree to a trade to somewhere he'd have to compete for a job.

packinpatland
07-22-2008, 12:42 PM

Patriots
Colts
Hamilton Tiger-Cats

PATRIOTS!!!!!! :shock:
Bretsky............are you still breathing?......use a paper sack......it'll help with hyperventillation

oregonpackfan
07-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Patriots
Colts
Hamilton Tiger-Cats

PATRIOTS!!!!!! :shock:
Bretsky............are you still breathing?......use a paper sack......it'll help with hyperventillation

Patriots and Colts!?

I seriously doubt if Favre would be willing to be the backup QB for anybody much less Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Oh my, the rumors are really flying! :roll:

rbaloha1
07-22-2008, 03:21 PM
by hiring Mike Sherman.

Imagine if MS was still the OC for the Texans.

MS would have convinced ownership to provide ridiculous picks for his "boy."

Just saw on espn that BF spoke to MS. MS stated BF could still play 5 years.

BF to the Texans? Does MS still have influence.

Com'on Texans!