PDA

View Full Version : Vikings like Schaub

Pack0514
04-04-2006, 08:03 AM
From KFFL:

Vikings | Team talking trade with Atlanta?
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 05:50:19 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings are talking with the Atlanta Falcons about a trade involving QB Matt Schaub, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The talks were casual and did not lead to formal negotiations, the sources said, but the interaction confirms the Vikings' desire to add depth to the position, either through a trade or in this month's NFL Draft. The Vikings have five picks in the first three rounds and probably would have to part with their first-round pick, No. 17 overall, in order to complete a trade. If the team traded for Schaub, he would be the favorite to be the starting quarterback for the 2006 season.

This kinda scares me, Schaub is a very good QB from what I've seem of him. This might actually put the Vikings over the top and make them favorites for the division. If I were the Vikings, I think I would give up the 1st round pick..... depending on how many years are left on Schaub's contract.

Bretsky
04-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Green Bay should be trading for him after drafting Odell Thurman last year.

This trade, the Culpepper trade, and the Griese signing are examples of why we shouldn't have been desperate to draft a QB.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Who knew then that Griese and especially Culpepper were going to be available?

beakerman
04-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Atlanta wouldn't give him up, when the Jets wanted to trade Abraham for him.... They know Vick will miss at least 5 games every year, they need a back up like Shaub

Rastak
04-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Atlanta wouldn't give him up, when the Jets wanted to trade Abraham for him.... They know Vick will miss at least 5 games every year, they need a back up like Shaub

Supposedly they want a #1 for him.....I think the price is too high....if I were the Vikes GM I'd give them a 2 and a 3. And if I were Atlanta I'd probably take that and then sign a different veteran backup...use the #2 to draft a young QB....Schaub will be a free agent and will probably leave next year anyway, and you can't pay both Vick and Schuab franchise money. Plus, Blank likes Vick and he sells tickets so I doubt they replace him unless he has a terrible year.

MadtownPacker
04-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Vick aint gonna last 10 games so getting rid of Schaub would be a terrible mistake. Beside, Schaub will win the starting job eventually IMO.

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm hot and cold on Schaub. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being nowhere near as good as some people think, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he turned into another Matt Hasselbeck. He's gotten attention for having good preseasons, but we've seen that before. In the regular season for his career, he has completed 49.3% of his passes with 5 TDs and 4 interceptions. Hell, Nall completed 69% of his passes with 4 TDs and 0 interceptions in the little PT he got.

That being said, for a team like the Vikings (who really need a young QB) I don't think it would be a bad deal gamble to trade their 1st round pick for him.

retailguy
04-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Who knew then that Griese and especially Culpepper were going to be available?

Nobody knew. The point was, SOMEBODY was going to be available. They are every year. Remember Jake Delhomme?

That being said, I do not think Rogers is a bad pick. I also don't think we can judge that as a wasted pick yet either. He has talent. He has pressure. He can't play that much with Favre in town. Carson Palmer didn't throw a pass in his first season. He played like crap for the first 8 games when he did start playing. Chad Pennington didn't play his first two years. He played like crap most of the first half of the third. David Carr still plays poorly, because his offensive line was/is poor. How was our O-line last year when rogers was in there? We are fortunate he didn't get killed in that mop up duty game. We need patience with this guy.

beakerman
04-04-2006, 09:52 AM
That being said, for a team like the Vikings (who really need a young QB) I don't think it would be a bad deal gamble to trade their 1st round pick for him.

True, i remember a team that traded a first round pick for a QB that appeared in 2 games and hand 0 completions, on 5 attemps with 3 INTs.... worked out for that club! although i would hate to have the Viqueens end up in the same situation....

Rastak
04-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm hot and cold on Schaub. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being nowhere near as good as some people think, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he turned into another Matt Hasselbeck. He's gotten attention for having good preseasons, but we've seen that before. In the regular season for his career, he has completed 49.3% of his passes with 5 TDs and 4 interceptions. Hell, Nall completed 69% of his passes with 4 TDs and 0 interceptions in the little PT he got.

I'd like to get Ernie Sims, so I'd hate to part with that #1...they would still have 2 seconds and 2 thirds if they dealt that 1st. Brad Johnson would be bummed out for sure.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Why? Does he think he's gonna last another 10 years or something?

jack's smirking revenge
04-04-2006, 09:55 AM
I think Shaub would do well as a Vike. They're developing a pretty solid offense and have a great line. Like Nall, he's shining moments have come during preseason, but I find it interesting that Buffalo is considering trading Losman because they're so excited about Nall. Either way, the Vikes will get another QB this season. I'd actually it rather be Schaub than one of the top3 QBs in the draft--I'd hate to see them solidify that position for the future, much like we did with Favre.

tyler

Rastak
04-04-2006, 09:59 AM
I think Shaub would do well as a Vike. They're developing a pretty solid offense and have a great line. Like Nall, he's shining moments have come during preseason, but I find it interesting that Buffalo is considering trading Losman because they're so excited about Nall. Either way, the Vikes will get another QB this season. I'd actually it rather be Schaub than one of the top3 QBs in the draft--I'd hate to see them solidify that position for the future, much like we did with Favre.

tyler

Schaub is 24 years old.

jack's smirking revenge
04-04-2006, 10:04 AM
That is true... Still, there is a bit of a difference between a 20/21 punk straight out of college and a 24/25 year-old benchwarmer, just in the perspective of years. Most players ride off into the sunset in their early 30s, so Schaub's clock is already ticking.

I still think it'd be a great move for the Vikes, even if I am critical of the age. 24/25 is still young, for sure.

tyler