PDA

View Full Version : Not another Favre Thread: Any new news about Grant?

Farley Face
07-21-2008, 11:00 PM
This isn't an anti "TT", sign him for whatever thread, I'm honestly curious, has anyone heard anything? TC is days away and I haven't heard anything. Any chance this turns into a game of chicken and they open camp without him signed? I gotta believe if all we heard out of Kiln is how great it is to be riding a tractor this story about our starting tailback would be getting more attention from the media (and fans for that matter).

Bretsky
07-21-2008, 11:15 PM
They interviewed Grant today on the Packer Flagship Milwaukee station

Very likely they start Camp W/O Grant. Interviewed him and noted both sides were still talking but it didn't sound like they were that close. He was not committal when they asked if he'd be at camp either way

Zool
07-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I'll throw out a glass half full take. RB's can miss some camp and not lose as much as other positions. That being said, I'd still love to see a slew of signings the next 3 days starting with Grant.

Farley Face
07-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Very likely they start Camp W/O Grant. Interviewed him and noted both sides were still talking but it didn't sound like they were that close. He was not committal when they asked if he'd be at camp either way

Not the news I wanted, but thanks for the update Bretsky. Hoping they can find common ground and get him to camp on terms they can both live with.

Zool
07-21-2008, 11:19 PM

Not the news I wanted, but thanks for the update Bretsky. Hoping they can find common ground and get him to camp on terms they can both live with.

There was an article with Grants agent on Friday that said they had agreed to years, now it was just down to $'s. Pay the man Tedly/Brandts replacement. Get some focus somewhere else for a while.

Farley Face
07-21-2008, 11:25 PM

There was an article with Grants agent on Friday that said they had agreed to years, now it was just down to $'s. Pay the man Tedly/Brandts replacement. Get some focus somewhere else for a while.

I'd love to offer a solution but this is an interesting negotiation. Hoping like you our new negotiator earns his stripes here. From what I have heard his agent seems reasonable but we shall see I suppose.

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2008, 12:34 AM
I like Grant not being in camp. He can't get hurt sitting at home watching TV. And there is intense competition for the backup spot, give those guys the extra reps.

Badgerinmaine
07-22-2008, 09:37 AM
He's in a cool fantasy football ad on TV...

Joemailman
07-22-2008, 09:44 AM

If they have the years agreed on, this should get done. They may wrangle about how the contract should be structured, but Grant will get a contract befitting one of the better starting RB's in the league.

ND72
07-22-2008, 10:04 AM
This is stupid. Ted Thompson gave him a 1 year RFA tender, sign that, it's worth around $4 million dollars. Get into camp, and be WORKING on signing your long term contract. I heard on the Appleton ESPN radio that Grants wants somewhere in the range of a 4 year $20-30 Million dollar deal. I'm sorry, I know he did AWESOME last year...but it was 8 games. Yes, he should get paid, but until he proves it a full season, he should not expect to get a high range of dollars. He should have signed the tender months ago to be under contract, and be working on this deal all through the OTA's and so on.

bobblehead
07-22-2008, 10:38 AM
This is stupid. Ted Thompson gave him a 1 year RFA tender, sign that, it's worth around $4 million dollars. Get into camp, and be WORKING on signing your long term contract. I heard on the Appleton ESPN radio that Grants wants somewhere in the range of a 4 year $20-30 Million dollar deal. I'm sorry, I know he did AWESOME last year...but it was 8 games. Yes, he should get paid, but until he proves it a full season, he should not expect to get a high range of dollars. He should have signed the tender months ago to be under contract, and be working on this deal all through the OTA's and so on.

Actually the one year tender was worth about 1/10th of that. 400k I think.

I heard they are working on a 3/4 year deal. I absolutely can not see giving him a 4 year 20 million deal, gotta be 5 imo. With 4 you get one year of his FA and give him about 18 million more than you are required to for the 3 years. I'd love to be listening in. The game has changed a bit though, Uhrlacher cried his way into a huge raise with no leverage, so what the hell, maybe they will pay him I don't know anymore.

ND72
07-22-2008, 11:34 AM

I heard they are working on a 3/4 year deal. I absolutely can not see giving him a 4 year 20 million deal, gotta be 5 imo. With 4 you get one year of his FA and give him about 18 million more than you are required to for the 3 years. I'd love to be listening in. The game has changed a bit though, Uhrlacher cried his way into a huge raise with no leverage, so what the hell, maybe they will pay him I don't know anymore.

400K? My bad, I thought I heard around $4 Mill. ANYWAY. Personally, if I'm Ted Thompson, I pull a Chuck Woodson deal with Grant. Insentive based. Does he deserve it? Yes, do we know for sure he's "the man"...eh, kind of I guess. We just don't know if he can make it a full season. IMO, he NEEDS to be at every camp. I know there aren't many fans of my boy Brandon Jackson, but coaches are speaking of him in the highest regards because of his offseason work he's done. If Jackson gets all the reps in camp, and comes through like they're all hoping, Grant could get pushed back a bit.

PackerBlues
07-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Gee, I dont know guys......if Grant wouldn't sign a one year tender.......doesnt that make him a Diva? :bs:

Zool
07-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Gee, I dont know guys......if Grant wouldn't sign a one year tender.......doesnt that make him a Diva? :bs:

If you ever had a thought that didnt start with der, would the hampster be surprised?

Joemailman
07-22-2008, 12:10 PM

400K? My bad, I thought I heard around $4 Mill. ANYWAY. Personally, if I'm Ted Thompson, I pull a Chuck Woodson deal with Grant. Insentive based. Does he deserve it? Yes, do we know for sure he's "the man"...eh, kind of I guess. We just don't know if he can make it a full season. IMO, he NEEDS to be at every camp. I know there aren't many fans of my boy Brandon Jackson, but coaches are speaking of him in the highest regards because of his offseason work he's done. If Jackson gets all the reps in camp, and comes through like they're all hoping, Grant could get pushed back a bit.

I was thinking the same think about Brandon Jackson. He finished strong last year, and is stronger this year. If I were Grant, I wouldn't let Jackson spend too much time as the #1 RB in camp. Jackson could end up being as big a pleasant surprise as Grant was last year.

retailguy
07-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I like Grant not being in camp. He can't get hurt sitting at home watching TV. And there is intense competition for the backup spot, give those guys the extra reps.

You've never heard of Brandon Marshall, have you? Those McDonalds bags can be lethal.