PDA

View Full Version : Objective(?) look at Favre's career by others

Patler
07-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Sorry if this has been linked before. Lots and lots of things to discuss in this Favre career recap:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2291_Favre_fans_give_love_a_bad_name.html

Joemailman
07-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Mot very objective at all. Pretty much a hatchet job on Favre. Their viewpoint is that anyone who wants Favre back is a Favre apologist zombie who cares about Favre more than they do the Packers.

TravisWilliams23
07-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the link Patler. That column could have been written from posts right here at PackerRats. Just about everything in the article has been covered here to some extent. I've been a GREEN BAY PACKERS fan since 1965 and have seen the good and bad. Hall of fame players retire eventually and the organization moves on. I look forward to the upcoming season with high expectations. I will miss #4 if this is indeed his retirement and cheer like hell for #12 if he gets the nod. I have great confidence in TT & MM to do what is best for my TEAM!

Fritz
07-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Mot very objective at all. Pretty much a hatchet job on Favre. Their viewpoint is that anyone who wants Favre back is a Favre apologist zombie who cares about Favre more than they do the Packers.

That'd be a great premise for a movie: Attack of the Favre Apologist Zombies!

Travis Williams makes a good point. At some point - whether it's this year or next or the one after - Favre was/is going to retire. At some point, the Packers will have to move on with someone else under the controls. I've wondered if maybe a person's age has to do with all of this to some degree - I wonder if older fans, who've seen Starr and then the ragamuffins that followed (with the exceptions of Lynn Dickey and Don Majkowski), know a life as a Packer fan without Favre and are more accepting of his departure, while younger fans whose primary memory is of Favre at the helm have a haarder time imagining life without #4.

sharpe1027
07-22-2008, 08:49 AM
That'd be a great premise for a movie: Attack of the Favre Apologist Zombies!

Travis Williams makes a good point. At some point - whether it's this year or next or the one after - Favre was/is going to retire. At some point, the Packers will have to move on with someone else under the controls. I've wondered if maybe a person's age has to do with all of this to some degree - I wonder if older fans, who've seen Starr and then the ragamuffins that followed (with the exceptions of Lynn Dickey and Don Majkowski), know a life as a Packer fan without Favre and are more accepting of his departure, while younger fans whose primary memory is of Favre at the helm have a haarder time imagining life without #4.

I think that could cut both ways. If you remember all the terrible QBs we had for all those years, maybe you are also having are having a hard time trying to let Favre go? :cry: That being said, they had more than QB problems for all those years, right now seems like it may be one of the best times to move on. The team feels like it is on relatively solid ground with a lot of young talent. Will it be enough? I don't know, but they have a legit shot of being good without Favre.

Fritz
07-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Yes, that could be. I do wish though that people (not you, just in general) would acknowledge that it's not just a straight line from Starr to Favre and all esle in between was garbage. Lynn Dickey was a damn good QB. If some of those early 80's teams had any defense at all, that would've been a hell of an era.

packrat
07-22-2008, 09:32 AM
It is refreshing to see opinions backed up with facts instead of some of the mindless rants we see here that turn a blind eye to Brett's failings. Yes, seeing the embarrassment of a washed up Starr influences me in thinking it is time to move on, but so is the utter frustration of seeing playoff run after playoff run ended by a Favre interception that didn't have to be and shouldn't have been. It is time to give a team player a chance instead of another year of seeing the whole team brought down because one guy tried to do it all by himself.