PDA

View Full Version : Gannon doubts Favre's return will be successful

Sparkey
07-22-2008, 11:49 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=436717

Rich Gannon has more than a hint of what it's like to be in Brett Favre's shoes.

Like Favre, Gannon, a CBS analyst who works Packers preseason games, played 17 years in the league.

Also like Favre, who is eyeballing a comeback at age 38 -- likely with a new team -- Gannon was 38 when he had to learn a new offense under first-year Oakland Raiders coach Norv Turner in 2004. But, unlike the unshakably confident Favre, Gannon does not believe the NFL's all-time leading passer can join a new team and be successful.

"If Brett goes to a different team, the results will not be as pleasant. He'll struggle," Gannon tells Sporting News. "I think it'll be one (year) and done -- and he won't be happy with the way it ends."

HIGH HURDLES

Favre told a funny story at the Packers hall of fame induction banquet Saturday in Green Bay. The punch line: On the day he met newly-enshrined center Frank Winters, Favre was so out of shape and overweight -- 252 pounds -- that Winters guessed he was a linebacker.

Sixteen years later, Favre is much closer (but not all the way) to his typical playing weight of 225. SN Packers correspondent Tom Silverstein reports that the 17-year veteran "looks like he's been lifting weights but also looks heavy." Then again, although Favre hasn't done much more this offseason than run and throw a bit with high school football players in Hattiesburg, Miss., physical conditioning is well down the list of impediments to a successful comeback for him.

At the top is the Packers' reluctance to trade and/or release Favre, coupled with Favre's distaste for waiting out the process indefinitely. That assumes there will be no remarriage of the current team and its most popular alumnus. "I know first-hand that (G.M.) Ted Thompson and (coach) Mike McCarthy wanted him back in the worst way," says Gannon, a close friend of McCarthy. But the Packers have since committed to Aaron Rodgers, and Favre has asked for his release.

Favre reportedly is interested in joining the Minnesota Vikings. (Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, did not return multiple phone messages.) The Packers have filed tampering charges against the Vikes, however, so you can rule out a trade between those teams.

The Packers might be more willing to connect with the Buccaneers. "Jon Gruden would be absolutely thrilled," says Gannon, who played for Gruden in Oakland and speaks with him regularly. "They've got a history. He has worked with Brett."

A Bucs spokesperson said of the team's interest in Favre, "Our policy is we don't comment on rumors."

Beyond the logistics of switching teams, the biggest potential challenge for Favre is the difficulty of learning a new offensive system on the fly. Remember, Favre struggled in 2006, his first season under McCarthy, posting the third-worst passer rating (72.7) of his career. And that was after fully participating in the team's offseason program. "The interesting thing about that is McCarthy ran the West Coast offense, very similar to what Brett had been running, with just some subtle nuances," Gannon says. "I remember when Norv Turner came to Oakland in 2004, my last year in the league. I had been in pretty much the same sort of system the past eight, nine years. Then Norv came in and changed the system, the verbiage, the terminology. We played our first game in Pittsburgh, and I was scared to death because I just wasn't prepared yet. And I'd been there the whole offseason. I did more work preparing for that game than I ever had."

The Leaper
07-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Of course the Packers wanted him back...he's clearly the best option for the team in 2008 if they want to shoot for a title. Since they were one of the last 4 teams in 2007, shooting for a title is obviously the goal.

However, after Favre decided to become oblivious to reality and refused to commit to the Packers in a sensible fashion, the team moved on. I agree with Gannon...Favre going elsewhere would be a major mistake for him and whoever decides to take him on.

Sparkey
07-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Of course the Packers wanted him back...he's clearly the best option for the team in 2008 if they want to shoot for a title. Since they were one of the last 4 teams in 2007, shooting for a title is obviously the goal.

However, after Favre decided to become oblivious to reality and refused to commit to the Packers in a sensible fashion, the team moved on. I agree with Gannon...Favre going elsewhere would be a major mistake for him and whoever decides to take him on.

Just wanted to post this since I have read posts from some "informed" posters who seem to believe that TT has always wanted to rid himself of Favre.

boiga
07-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Good find Sparkey,

Another take on this story, though, is that McCarthy and Thompson really wanted Favre back... but in a supporting role. Brett could have done a lot to ease the transition into Rodgers if he had so chosen. But apparently he's not as big of a man as they (or I) had hoped.

prsnfoto
07-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Just wanted to post this since I have read posts from some "informed" posters who seem to believe that TT has always wanted to rid himself of Favre.

And Robert Brooks also said that Favre was told after the season by TT that he would not be the starter this year I am sure that is Gospel just like Gannon's OPINION for Christ's sake he was a fucking Viking and Raider and you all take his word for the Lord's. GEEEESH!

Lurker64
07-22-2008, 04:57 PM
And Robert Brooks also said that Favre was told after the season by TT that he would not be the starter this year I am sure that is Gospel just like Gannon's OPINION for Christ's sake he was a fucking Viking and Raider and you all take his word for the Lord's. GEEEESH!

Well, Gannon does have a useful perspective here. When he says that "it's more difficult than you would think for an older QB to move to a new team and a new system and do well", I believe him since he has experience at it. He's not half the QB Favre was, but he does have relevant experience in this matter.

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2008, 09:35 PM
He's not half the QB Favre was, but he does have relevant experience in this matter.

Gannon had an excellent and long career.
Pro Bowl selections - 1999, 2000, 2001 & 2002
Pro Bowl MVP - 2000 & 2001
NFL MVP - 2002

Bretsky
07-22-2008, 09:50 PM
He's not half the QB Favre was, but he does have relevant experience in this matter.

NFL MVP - 2002

A very solid QB in the right system

It's no surprise Ganon would struggle in certain systems; he didn't have the arm strength for some offenses. Smart guy, but limited skills. Favre is much better equipped to have the physical tools to master other systems if his mind can master them.

Kiwon
07-23-2008, 03:47 AM

NFL MVP - 2002

A very solid QB in the right system

It's no surprise Ganon would struggle in certain systems; he didn't have the arm strength for some offenses. Smart guy, but limited skills. Favre is much better equipped to have the physical tools to master other systems if his mind can master them.

I think Gannon's get a good point.

Of course Farve would probably do okay in a west coast-style offense but even if that were the case changing to a new stadium/field and new coaches and teammates is a lot of new tricks for an old dog is learn.

If Farve gets undisciplined and starts to throw into double and triple coverages I could see severe friction with impatient coaches who aren't used to giving a player the latitude to realize and correct his own mistakes.

Foe example, Barry Sanders gained and lost more yards than any running back in modern history. Barry Sanders is Barry Sanders and while he had 23 yards rushing at halftime he usually ended up with 123 for the game. But he needed several opportunities to break through for the big run.

But late in his career new Lions head coach Bobby Ross just couldn't take the -2 and -4 yard runs and stopped giving Sanders the ball. Ross just didn't trust Sanders' playmaking abilities.

The two clashed and Sanders quit in frustration long before he was physically done.

That's why I think Gannon's point is solid and why Farve should pause twice before jumping at a chance to play somewhere else. Of course he likely has no choice where he is traded to but he does have a say so if offered the chance to compete for the starting job with A-Rod.