PDA

View Full Version : Teams Interested In Favre Include....

Chevelle2
07-22-2008, 05:44 PM
San Palatonio just said on ESPN Radio Milwaukee Steve the Homer Drew show that Houston, Baltimore and the NY Jets have expressed interest in the AFC and the Cardinals and Rams in the NFC.

Freak Out
07-22-2008, 05:52 PM
I could see the Cardinals making a run at Favre....with him they have a shot at winning the West and making a playoff run.

motife
07-22-2008, 05:53 PM
The Cardinals?

Leinart, Warner and Favre?

What a receiving corps though. Best 1/2 Favre ever had.

HarveyWallbangers
07-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I could see the Cards doing it to help them at the gate.

Houston makes little sense. Schaub has to be ready to start or he'll never be ready. They gave up a lot for him. Baltimore makes a ton of sense. (Tampa Bay also.) The Jets have horrible QBs, but I'm not sure Favre would want to go there. Not sure what to make of the Rams. I don't think Bulger fits their new offensive scheme like he did the Martz scheme, but it's still pretty strange. They are paying Bulger a TON of money.

motife
07-22-2008, 05:58 PM
apparently the Packers are asking for a 3rd and a player.

However, Jason Taylor may have set the price higher.

Chevelle2
07-22-2008, 05:59 PM
apparently the Packers are asking for a 3rd and a player.

However, Jason Taylor may have set the price higher.

Fantastic!

Chevelle2
07-22-2008, 06:09 PM
This is interesting:

NY JETs - 180K OVER the cap
Arizona - 116K UNDER the cap
Baltimore - 327K UNDER the cap
Houston - 10.6 mill UNDER the cap
St. Louis - 11.5 mil UNDER the cap

Pacopete4
07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Arizona has his best weapons.. he's probably drooling at that opportunity

WARNER, yes WARNER led the league in TD passes, with 21, the last 8 weeks of the season

Tyrone Bigguns
07-22-2008, 06:32 PM
The Cardinals?

Leinart, Warner and Favre?

What a receiving corps though. Best 1/2 Favre ever had.

Maybe 1/2...but, you don't win with just that. The packer superbowl team had better receiver depth...the cards are HOPING Breaston can be the 3rd WR.

I'd put rison as the equivalent of those 2.

The packers had chewy and Jackson at TE, the cards have Leonard Pope.

rbaloha1
07-22-2008, 06:33 PM
due to Mike Sherman's influence.

MS stated BF can play 5 more seasons.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Arizona has his best weapons.. he's probably drooling at that opportunity

WARNER, yes WARNER led the league in TD passes, with 21, the last 8 weeks of the season

I live in AZ...doubt anyone is drooling. They have 2 wrs..and that is it. No proven TE, no established running game, etc.

Oh,yeah...and brett has shown how well he works with a WR when they are demanding a new contract...as boldin is. :roll:

mmmdk
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Arizona would be near perfect for Favre.

pbmax
07-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm doubtful about the Cardinals, unless Leinart's offseason drinking and photography hobbies have turned them off permanently.

And Houston is obvious as they are close to reassembling the Packer offense from 2004.

packinpatland
07-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Jets are close...........I could get Jets tickets.
On second thought..........I can't see myself EVER yelling J-E-T-S.....JETS, JETS, JETS!!!!..........Much rather scream GO PACK GO!

MadtownPacker
07-22-2008, 09:05 PM
If St Lou still has Bruce and Holt that move would be a good risk for a 1-2 year run. It is in the south. It is in a dome. No games against the Rams. They have the money. Seems like all that would make it the spot to happen.

Chevelle2
07-22-2008, 09:09 PM
If St Lou still has Bruce and Holt that move would be a good risk for a 1-2 year run. It is in the south. It is in a dome. No games against the Rams. They have the money. Seems like all that would make it the spot to happen.

Bruce is a niner.

Charles Woodson
07-22-2008, 10:23 PM

Bruce is a niner.

He said IF they still had bruce

Chevelle2
07-22-2008, 10:24 PM

Bruce is a niner.

He said IF they still had bruce

Ah, but looking closer he clearly says HAS.

MJZiggy
07-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Jets are close...........I could get Jets tickets.
On second thought..........I can't see myself EVER yelling J-E-T-S.....JETS, JETS, JETS!!!!..........Much rather scream GO PACK GO!

You could come watch him with me in Baltimore. They don't yell stuff like j-e-t-s. I guess they figure most of the fans can already spell Ravens...

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2008, 10:35 PM
I have a hunch Favre does not want to play on another team. OR more accurately, he is so picky about the situation he wants that it ain't gonna happen.

MJZiggy
07-22-2008, 10:43 PM
I'll buy that...I think if Goodell hadn't stuck his nose into it, the whole thing would have died quietly when camp started. Now, who knows?

Joemailman
07-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I have a hunch Favre does not want to play on another team. OR more accurately, he is so picky about the situation he wants that it ain't gonna happen.

I think you're right. I think his choices are Green Bay (if he's the starter), Minnesota, and maybe Tampa Bay.

digitaldean
07-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Well, Minny would probably be out (unless would like a new "tar and feather" look from the masses for training camp).

Tampa probably makes sense. Keep hearing that if the Packers REALLY wanted him gone, they may have to take a fire sale deal. My thought is, if you aren't going to get that much for him, why trade?

Joemailman
07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Because if you trade him, you control where he ends up. As in, not in Minnesota.

Bretsky
07-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Well, Minny would probably be out (unless would like a new "tar and feather" look from the masses for training camp).

Tampa probably makes sense. Keep hearing that if the Packers REALLY wanted him gone, they may have to take a fire sale deal. My thought is, if you aren't going to get that much for him, why trade?

To get rid of the distraction. Reality is TT does not want Favre in Green Bay IMO and if that's the case get rid of him and live with whatever the consequences may be

There is bitterness; I'm convince there is more laundry that might be aired if this is not resolved soon

Joemailman
07-22-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm sure Michele would let us know if Favre was airing his laundry.

digitaldean
07-22-2008, 11:18 PM
If that is the case, so be it.

I don't want him gone, but if this is just going to fester between the two sides, get it the f*** over with.

There is blame for both sides of this mess, but I still lay most of it at #4's feet.

Now, from the way it sounds we may only get a mid-round draft pick for him.

This acrimony won't subside until WAYYYY after Favre finally retires.

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Reality is TT does not want Favre in Green Bay IMO and if that's the case get rid of him

maybe so. but how does one "get rid" of Favre? He is like nuclear waste, got to be very careful where you put it or it can come back and get ya. You need a place that's not too close by.

And if the reports are true, he doesn't want to go to Tampa because it is too warm. And we haven't even begun to discuss his culinary needs - perhaps a city with good Italian restaraunts is a requirement.

Dabaddestbear
07-23-2008, 04:11 AM
This is interesting:

Funny how everyone is ignoring these facts. He cant be traded to any of those teams without reworking a contract, which I doubt he will do.

Lurker64
07-23-2008, 05:38 AM
This is interesting:

Funny how everyone is ignoring these facts. He cant be traded to any of those teams without reworking a contract, which I doubt he will do.

Well, for teams like Houston and St. Louis, they only need to clear a couple million in cap room, which is generally within the range of what they can by cutting dead weight, and asking the highly paid guys on the roster to take minor paycuts (in exchange for a superbowl run).

I agree though that Baltimore and the Jets would seriously have trouble getting Favre to fit under the cap.

LL2
07-23-2008, 08:41 AM
If Taylar was worth a 2nd rd pick, then the Packers better get a 2nd rd pick and possibly a 3rd or 4th. QB's are more difference makers than DE's and should have more value, although if Favre plays for another team I hope he throws for 30 INT's and 10 TD's and gets benched.

ND72
07-23-2008, 09:27 AM

I think you're right. I think his choices are Green Bay (if he's the starter), Minnesota, and maybe Tampa Bay.

Personally, I think Brett has 2 choices. Show up in Green Bay, or stay in Mississippi.

boiga
07-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Personally, I think Brett has 2 choices. Show up in Green Bay, or stay in Mississippi.
You're probably right.

Favre's likely demands: Guaranteed starter position, chance to go deep in the playoffs, reasonable weather, and can afford his contract.

Packer's demands: Not in the NFC north, is willing to give up a third round draft or better.

The list of teams that fits both sets of demands is really only 1 long: Tampa. And if Favre already turned down that arrangement because "Tampa is too hot" like rumors stated last week... then he's left to stick it out in Mississippi for the rest of the year.

Poor brett...

LL2
07-23-2008, 10:42 AM
You're probably right.

Poor brett...

:lol: Anyone really feeling sorry for him?

Fritz
07-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Not me. I think he's hurt and confused, but he also brought this upon himself

I'm also not clear as to why Favre - if he wants to play so badly again - hasn't applied for reinstatement.

ND72
07-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Not me. I think he's hurt and confused, but he also brought this upon himself

I'm also not clear as to why Favre - if he wants to play so badly again - hasn't applied for reinstatement.

BINGO

Gunakor
07-23-2008, 11:43 AM
San Palatonio just said on ESPN Radio Milwaukee Steve the Homer Drew show that Houston, Baltimore and the NY Jets have expressed interest in the AFC and the Cardinals and Rams in the NFC.

None of those teams would likely interest Favre at all. Houston and the Jets are not contenders, so it would make no sense for Favre to go there unless all he wants to do is play (SB victory isn't important). Baltimore I thought had already said they weren't interested, at least that's what I heard a couple of days ago. Favre would be a backup to Marc Bulger in St. Louis, so I don't see him going there. The Cardinals don't seem to have any room for Favre even if they wanted him. AZ already has a former MVP quarterback and a young former first round draft pick on thier roster. Favre would be looking at the same situation he had in Green Bay, except there'd be an additional QB he'd have to compete with for positioning on the depth chart. And we all know how Brett feels about a competition.

I agree with those who suggest that if Brett isn't welcomed back to Green Bay as a starter that he'll likely just stay retired. No other team offers Brett the opportunity he's looking for in coming back to play. Well, the Vikings did, up until Thompson caught them breaking the rules. Now they are completely out of the picture, so long as Thompson doesn't simply release Favre outright. With nowhere of interest left to go, he'll probably just stay home.

In the end Goodell has no leverage to force anything, he can only suggest that the Packers and Favre speed things up. Regardless what Goodell says, Favre's contract is still currently owned by the Green Bay Packers. If the trading partners TT finds are not of interest to Favre, and TT then tells Favre that the only other way he comes back into the NFL is as a "role player" in Green Bay, then Goodell has no right to say we HAVE to start him or give him his release. I don't have a problem with Goodell butting in, as he's just trying to protect the image of his league from negative media attention. That's his responsibility as commissioner. That said, Goodell can't force anything. What would have happened had Goodell not stepped in is going to happen anyway in the end.

Fritz
07-23-2008, 11:44 AM
This is subject to change but at the moment I'm just so, so irked at the commissioner butting in and consequently weakening the Packers' position that I'd like to see TT either do nothing or trade Favre to a perennial loser.

I'm feeling a little emotional at the moment. It'll pass.

cpk1994
07-23-2008, 11:45 AM

None of those teams would likely interest Favre at all. Houston and the Jets are not contenders, so it would make no sense for Favre to go there unless all he wants to do is play (SB victory isn't important). Baltimore I thought had already said they weren't interested, at least that's what I heard a couple of days ago. Favre would be a backup to Marc Bulger in St. Louis, so I don't see him going there. The Cardinals don't seem to have any room for Favre even if they wanted him. AZ already has a former MVP quarterback and a young former first round draft pick on thier roster. Favre would be looking at the same situation he had in Green Bay, except there'd be an additional QB he'd have to compete with for positioning on the depth chart. And we all know how Brett feels about a competition.

I agree with those who suggest that if Brett isn't welcomed back to Green Bay as a starter that he'll likely just stay retired. No other team offers Brett the opportunity he's looking for in coming back to play. Well, the Vikings did, up until Thompson caught them breaking the rules. Now they are completely out of the picture, so long as Thompson doesn't simply release Favre outright. With nowhere of interest left to go, he'll probably just stay home.

In the end Goodell has no leverage to force anything, he can only suggest that the Packers and Favre speed things up. Regardless what Goodell says, Favre's contract is still currently owned by the Green Bay Packers. If the trading partners TT finds are not of interest to Favre, and TT then tells Favre that the only other way he comes back into the NFL is as a "role player" in Green Bay, then Goodell has no right to say we HAVE to start him or give him his release. I don't have a problem with Goodell butting in, as he's just trying to protect the image of his league from negative media attention. That's his responsibility as commissioner. That said, Goodell can't force anything. What would have happened had Goodell not stepped in is going to happen anyway in the end.If thats the case, Goodell is 1 and half months too late. Goodell needs to mind his own business.

rbaloha1
07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately since we are now "forced" to trade BF, the Packers may only be able obtain a third round pic. Multiple pics are possible. Remember James Lofton? Believe we only received mid round picks.

Throughout the BF ordeal, I thoroughly supported TT. However from the moment BF retired, TT should have only allowed a BF trade. If a trade occurred earlier, the Packers probably receive better draft picks.

Suffice to say, the Packer Nation will not receive BF's true value -- which I argue is similar to Joe Montana -- first and third round picks.

While trading BF alleviates the noise about BF's return, it only exacerbates the issue if AR fails and BF succeeds.

Ideal scenario -- BF stays retired and is only summoned by the Packers if AR has a season ending injury or performs extremely poorly.

Nonetheless, the drama continues.

Gunakor
07-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Unfortunately since we are now "forced" to trade BF, the Packers may only be able obtain a third round pic. Multiple pics are possible. Remember James Lofton? Believe we only received mid round picks.

Throughout the BF ordeal, I thoroughly supported TT. However from the moment BF retired, TT should have only allowed a BF trade. If a trade occurred earlier, the Packers probably receive better draft picks.

Suffice to say, the Packer Nation will not receive BF's true value -- which I argue is similar to Joe Montana -- first and third round picks.

While trading BF alleviates the noise about BF's return, it only exacerbates the issue if AR fails and BF succeeds.

Ideal scenario -- BF stays retired and is only summoned by the Packers if AR has a season ending injury or performs extremely poorly.

Nonetheless, the drama continues.

We aren't forced to do anything at all. Goodell advised us to speed this up, but that's a far stretch from forcing us to. Again, he is property of the Green Bay Packers as soon as he sends in his papers. If TT can't find an agreeable trading parter and decides to keep him on the Packers roster, he's allowed to do so. If MM decides that he's going to be the #2, there's nothing that Goodell can do to stop him. Favre then has 2 options. Either he's the backup or he's retired.

Fritz
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
The ugliest thing I can imagine is Favre coming back out of spite...which he threatened to do in the Sustern interview.

it would divide the team and poison the atmosphere and be a huge, huge distraction. Rodgers throws a bad interception or two, and the pressure would be immense to put Favre in.

If Favre comes back to GB - and that seems highly doubtful now - it's got to be as the starter.

I wish he'd just stay retired, but I don't think that's going to happen. He's gone too far, you'd think, to pull a Gilda Radnor and say "never mind."

Pugger
07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
As long as Mr. Undecided doesn't send in those papers he's still retired. And if Brett thought he could brow beat TT into giving him his release by going on TV and calling his boss a liar, then he is sadly mistaken. I heard this morning that that Einstein used a cell phone issued by the Packers and had conversations with Childress! How stupid was that?? Brett, STFU and go back to MS and your tractor. :roll:

GBRulz
07-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I heard this morning that that Einstein used a cell phone issued by the Packers and had conversations with Childress! How stupid was that?? Brett, STFU and go back to MS and your tractor. :roll:

Maybe he was just asking Childress how he keeps his mustache so trim and neat.

mngolf19
07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
As long as Mr. Undecided doesn't send in those papers he's still retired. And if Brett thought he could brow beat TT into giving him his release by going on TV and calling his boss a liar, then he is sadly mistaken. I heard this morning that that Einstein used a cell phone issued by the Packers and had conversations with Childress! How stupid was that?? Brett, STFU and go back to MS and your tractor. :roll:

This could just be to keep from getting fined for missing camp. He can send in his letter as soon as a trade is complete.

sheepshead
07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
TAMPA — Acquiring Packers quarterback Brett Favre has at least been discussed in the front office of One Buc Place.

General manager Bruce Allen last week asked quarterback Chris Simms how he thought Favre would fare in the Bucs offense with limited practice time.

"He asked me questions about Brett Favre," Simms said. "He asked if I felt Brett would be able to come back and be good here if he didn't have a lot of reps in training camp. I said I thought he would but there would have to be some compromise with coach (Jon) Gruden. He'll just want the play called and to drop back and throw it in there.

"But it's something we talked about."

The Packers reportedly have been gauging interest about trading for Favre and have contacted at least one NFC opponent.

The Bucs run a version of the West Coast offense but Gruden's system has evolved to the point where Favre may need at least a full training camp to pick it up.

Starter Jeff Garcia, who also is 38, is in the final year of his contract and unhappy about the lack of progress on an extension.

Allen declined to comment Tuesday whether the Bucs might be interested in Favre.

"There's been so many reports that have come out in the last few weeks," Allen said. "The only people that can address that are the Packers and/or the player. I can't keep up with all of them."

Asked if he saw any scenario in which Favre might play for the Bucs this season, Allen said, "Again, all of those conversations are hypotheticals. Only the Packers or the player can ever discuss those things."

But apparently, it was a discussion between Allen and Simms. Simms, who has asked to be traded, said Allen sent him a notice requiring him to honor an early reporting date of July 15 at 7 a.m.

Simms, 27, who did not participate in the offseason workout program or mandatory minicamp, complied rather than risk a fine. He said the Bucs wanted to evaluate him and he threw passes to receivers Wednesday and Thursday.

"I did work out, but there were no coaches there," Simms said. "They wanted me to work out and throw to receivers. Bruce did go out on the field one day to check it out."

While Simms will be among the 80 players reporting to the Celebration Hotel on Friday, Garcia has been excused for the weekend to attend a reunion to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Gavilan College's 1973 national title. Garcia's father Bob, who coached Gavilan for 23 seasons, organized the event. Garcia played one season in 1989 at Gavilan before transferring to San Jose State.

The Bucs will bring five quarterbacks to camp, although Simms might be insurance against injury or eventually be traded.

"We'll adapt as we go," Allen said. "The five quarterbacks, as we've talked about, the position is important us. We see it as a need position in the entire NFL. We feel fortunate that we have on our roster four different guys that have won games for the Buccaneers. A lot of teams wish they could say they have two.

"The mind-set is let's make sure everyone we have stays healthy. We've seen our depth depleted at different times at various positions due to injuries," Allen said. "We really like the players that we have in place. We'll see what transpires. It's too hard to predict the future right now.''

In June, Simms said his relationship with Gruden was beyond repair.

"I told Bruce, 'Hey, I have a lot of respect for you,' " Simms said. " 'But I don't see how it can work. There were so many things that were said and done and you knew they were wrong.' He said he was just doing what was best for the team."

Allen said the Bucs must release four players by Friday to comply with the 80-man roster limit.

Offensive lineman Jeremy Zuttah, a third-round pick, reached an agreement, leaving three draft choices unsigned: cornerback Aqib Talib, the first-rounder; receiver/returner Dexter Jackson (second round) and quarterback Josh Johnson (fifth round).

Allen said it appears that running back Cadillac Williams (knee) is headed to the physically unable to perform list. If so, he will count against the roster limit.

"Cadillac is the one you feel is going that way, but not only by league rule," Allen said. "We decided a long time ago we would give him a complete physical at the beginning of camp along with everyone else and make a decision on that day."

Chevelle2
07-23-2008, 01:38 PM
^Either Simms is an idiot, or Allen, a genius for telling Simms to speak. Get the word out to Favre they want him, without being charged with tampering.

sheepshead
07-23-2008, 01:38 PM
from the jets:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/07/22/2008-07-22_if_the_jets_pass_on_brett_favre_theyre_s-3.html

Harlan Huckleby
07-23-2008, 02:57 PM
I think Favre may be waiting around for an injury on another team. At first I dismissed this theory, since it makes more sense for him to get into a team's camp early. But the longer this goes on, that becomes the most likely scenario for him to play this year.

It's not such a bad situaiton, the Packers will probably get a better draft pick this way.

sheepshead
07-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Florio's talking about the eagles now--just put it up...

mmmdk
07-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Florio's talking about the eagles now--just put it up...

No way!

The Shadow
07-24-2008, 12:26 AM
The Jets seem like a good trading partner for Favre. They could use a fan draw and PR coup to compete with the Super Bowl champion Giants, they need a qb, they are an AFC team, and New York should be big enough for Favre's ego (if that's even possible).
I know a lot of posters don't like him, but I'd love to see the Pack get Chad Pennington as part of the deal. Yes, he has less than a cannon arm, and yes, he's had injuries, but he's highly football-smart, and would be a fine #2 while Brohm acquires that 1st year apprenticeship experience. Hopefully, Flynn could sneak on to the practice squad, although it's likely another team would snap him up.

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 12:39 AM
The Jets seem like a good trading partner for Favre. They could use a fan draw and PR coup to compete with the Super Bowl champion Giants, they need a qb, they are an AFC team, and New York should be big enough for Favre's ego (if that's even possible).
I know a lot of posters don't like him, but I'd love to see the Pack get Chad Pennington as part of the deal. Yes, he has less than a cannon arm, and yes, he's had injuries, but he's highly football-smart, and would be a fine #2 while Brohm acquires that 1st year apprenticeship experience. Hopefully, Flynn could sneak on to the practice squad, although it's likely another team would snap him up.

I think Pennington is a fine #2 as long as he doesn't have to play. Frankly I'd be more interested in seeing Brohm play after AROD gets hurt than Pennington.

Gunakor
07-24-2008, 02:33 AM

If Pennington is the #2 and Brohm is the #3, then Brohm certainly isn't going to get enough reps in practice to develop a whole lot. I'm fine with Brohm as the #2. It gives him more practice reps, as well as a better chance to get real game experience. He'll be a better QB for it.

woodbuck27
07-24-2008, 03:24 AM
This is like a 4 week nightmare. :D

sheepshead
07-24-2008, 07:41 AM
How does Brett text with those big thumbs?

Packers: Truth may lie in text messages; Favre to Tampa Bay?
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY — As the Green Bay Packers continue to make calls to prospective trading partners in hopes of dealing Brett Favre before training camp opens, new evidence has emerged in the team's tampering case against the Minnesota Vikings regarding the semi-retired quarterback.

Two NFL sources said Wednesday that, in addition to cell-phone records of calls between Favre and Minnesota coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, the club also claims Favre sent text messages back-and-forth with the two Vikings coaches.

In the aftermath of Favre asking for his outright release July 11, the Packers accused the Vikings of tampering with Favre by engaging in "inappropriate dialogue" with him.

According to an Associated Press report last week, the Packers felt "an investigation of the phone records would show more than 'normal contact' between the Vikings and Favre, even before he formally asked for his release to play for another team."

A league source confirmed previous media reports that Favre was using a Packers-issued cell phone in his alleged communications with Bevell and Childress.

The number of text messages between Favre and the two Vikings coaches would also help prove the Packers' case. However, a spokesman for Verizon Wireless said Wednesday the carrier only keeps the substance of text messages for a brief time and the owners of the phone only have access to the destination numbers of texts sent from the device.

Verizon Wireless is one of the Packers' corporate partners, providing staff phones and sponsoring one of the Lambeau Field entry gates.

"We keep (text messages) for a very short time — days," said David Clevenger, Verizon's executive director of media relations for the Midwest region. "Then, we clean out our computers. We have 68 million customers, and we wouldn't be able to keep all their text messages. We have no reason to do it. There's no way they (the Packers) would be able to go back and pull up what was said (in the texts)."

But, the owners of the phone are able to see where the texts were sent, much like an itemized bill details every call made and received.

"If they own the phone, then they have the right to do that," Clevenger said.

Clevenger also said Verizon only began making text message destination numbers accessible to owners in May.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported NFL security officials were at the Vikings' Winter Park headquarters Wednesday, continuing their investigation into the charges.

While the Star Tribune's sources did not know exactly with whom NFL officials spoke, it's believed Childress and Bevell were questioned.

The NFL arrived at the Vikings' offices only a day before the team was to report to training camp in Mankato, Minn.

The Vikings have remained quiet on the tampering charge since news broke last week.

Owner Zygi Wilf told the Star Tribune last week he wouldn't comment on the Packers' accusation but added, "Let's put it this way, I look forward to the opening game in Green Bay."

The Vikings face the Packers in the regular-season opener Sept. 8 at Lambeau Field, where Favre's No. 4 jersey is scheduled to be retired. ESPN reported Tuesday night that Favre "clearly prefers to play for the Vikings."

However, Tampa Bay is increasingly looking like Favre's destination. Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms told the St. Petersburg Times that general manager Bruce Allen asked him last week how he thought Favre would fare in the Bucs' offense with limited practice time.

"(Allen) asked me questions about Brett Favre," Simms told the paper's NFL reporter, Rick Stroud. "He asked if I felt Brett would be able to come back and be good here if he didn't have a lot of reps in training camp. I said I thought he would but there would have to be some compromise with coach (Jon) Gruden. He'll just want the play called and to drop back and throw it in there.

"But it's something we talked about."

The Bucs run a version of the West Coast offense, and Gruden, a Packers assistant from 1992 through '94, long has admired Favre.

Tampa Bay starter Jeff Garcia, who like Favre is 38, is in the final year of his contract and unhappy about the lack of progress on an extension. The Packers play the Buccaneers Sept. 28 in Tampa.

The Buccaneers have traded for a supposedly-retired quarterback before, acquiring Jake Plummer from Denver last year for a seventh-round pick. Plummer remained retired and never played for the Bucs, who surrendered the pick nonetheless.

An NFL source said Wednesday it's possible Favre will do the same as Plummer and simply not report after the trade is agreed upon.

However, that source said the Packers are actively trying to deal Favre before training camp opens on Monday, which would eliminate the threat of him applying for reinstatement whenever he wanted to and the team having to take him back.

ESPN reported Wednesday that the Packers contacted the Philadelphia Eagles about Favre. Eagles coach Andy Reid was a Packers assistant from 1992-98, and Favre's position coach the final two years.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has also gotten involved, trying to accelerate the trade process to resolve the bitter dispute between Favre and the Packers.

Under that scenario, the Packers would send the rights to Favre, who is on the reserve/retired list, to his new team.

Favre would then have to decide whether he would apply for reinstatement with Goodell's office or simply abandon his unretirement attempt and stay on the sidelines.

The new team would then have the rights to Favre, whose contract is set to expire after the 2010 season.

sheepshead
07-24-2008, 08:16 AM
http://jasonjeffrey.wordpress.com/2008/07/23/95-chance-favre-will-be-a-buccaneer-this-season/

just for fun...

Badgerinmaine
07-24-2008, 08:23 AM
This is like a 4 week nightmare. :D

I'd say that's an optimistic reading. 8-)

Fritz
07-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Why would a GM like Bruce Allen ask a jurneyman QB who's on the outs what he thinks about how quickly Favre could pick up the system? Why would Simms know that any better than Jon Gruden?

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 04:35 PM

Long Live The Shadow!

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 04:39 PM

Long Live The Shadow!

I second that sentiment. BTW, when did you write that?

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 04:41 PM
July 23rd.

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 04:47 PM

Long Live The Shadow!Does it hurt your back when you kiss your own ass? :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 04:48 PM
July 23rd.

I bow to your wisdom. Want to become the second member of the Bad Chad Fan Club?

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 04:51 PM

Nothing is impossible when you love the work!

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 04:56 PM

Nothing is impossible when you love the work!NO argument with that one.

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 05:14 PM

Nothing is impossible when you love the work!NO argument with that one.

:D