PDA

View Full Version : Best Sports Moment of the Year Award

oregonpackfan
07-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Central Washington and Western Oregon softball teams won the ESPY's Award for "Best Sports Moment of the Year Award.

As some of you recall, the two Division II teams were competing against each other. The Oregon girl hit what appeared to be a three run homer. As she rounded first, she suddenly stopped as she forgot to touch the base. In suddenly stopping she ripped her ACL. She was unable to finish touching the remaining bases.

If a coach or teammate helped her, her scoring run would be disqualified. In a display of remarkable sportsmanship, two Washington players volunteered to carry her around the bases allowing the Oregon girl time to touch each bag with the uninjured leg.

Carried away by the moment
The two softball players who helped Western Oregon's Sara Tucholsky around the bases steal the show at the ESPY Awards -
FACTBOX

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
DOUG BINDER
The Oregonian Staff

Mallory Holtman wasn't interested in re-enacting her now-famous act of sportsmanship for just anybody.

Enter the singer known as "J.T.," host of the ESPYs, which aired Sunday.

"When Justin Timberlake asked, I was like, 'Oh yeah, I'll carry ya,' " Holtman said.
Advertisement

Timberlake may have promised to bring "sexy" back, but Holtman and Central Washington softball teammate Liz Wallace brought sportsmanship back when they lifted Western Oregon's Sara Tucholsky and carried her around the basepaths during a softball game in April.

A torn knee ligament marred Tucholsky's first career home run. After rounding first base, she abruptly turned around to re-tag the bag after missing it, and the knee suddenly gave way.

Holtman and Wallace then did the compassionate thing, assisting their opponent.

ESPYs host Timberlake got in on the players' act during an awards program that saw the three softball players honored as the central figures in the Best Sports Moment of the Year, one of the show's top prizes.

"It's indescribable to be honored like that in a room full of amazing athletes like that," said Tucholsky, who is five weeks along after successful surgery to repair her anterior cruciate ligament.

Tucholsky, Holtman and Wallace are bonded for life because of their moment.

The three were special guests of Bud Selig during Major League Baseball's All-Star weekend. They watched the home run derby from the Yankees' dugout and had front-row seats 10 feet to the right of home plate for the All-Star Game. They were whisked away the next morning to Los Angeles for the ESPY Awards show, which was taped Wednesday.

CONTINUED 1 | 2 Next

http://www.oregonlive.com/softball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/121669711011520.xml&coll=7

Deputy Nutz
07-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Made me want to puke.

I mean a torn knee ligament sucks and all, but it wasn't like she broke her leg in three spots, she could have limped around the bases. Hell Yovani Gallardo pitched an inning with a torn ACL.

Zool
07-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Made me want to puke.

I mean a torn knee ligament sucks and all, but it wasn't like she broke her leg in three spots, she could have limped around the bases. Hell Yovani Gallardo pitched an inning with a torn ACL.

Partial tear on Yoga.

After I tore mine, bruised both leg bones and had cartilage hanging out of the joint I hopped 3 blocks to my truck and drove to Urgent Care.

What a girl she is huh Nutz.

Deputy Nutz
07-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Made me want to puke.

Partial tear on Yoga.

After I tore mine, bruised both leg bones and had cartilage hanging out of the joint I hopped 3 blocks to my truck and drove to Urgent Care.

What a girl she is huh Nutz.

I would have laughed at her for tearing her acl on her home run trot. See you made it three blocks, thats a lot further than a softball diamond.

Partial tears actually hurt worse, maybe not right away, but they hurt a whole heck of a lot more because the ligament is then stressed pretty bad and stays inflamed a lot longer. I partially tore my MCL a year ago wrestling, and then did it on my other knee in BJJ class. they hurt and your knee feels like rubber. The MCL is great, it repairs itself in most cases.

Zool
07-23-2008, 04:55 PM
I had a full tear, and let me tell you, the bone bruise was by far the worst pain of it all. It hurt a year later

BallHawk
07-23-2008, 04:57 PM
How'd you manage to tear your ACL, Zool?

Zool
07-23-2008, 04:59 PM
PLaying bball. Running left, jumped, landed stiff legged, bones hit together and my knee went 6 inches to the left. Its a very audible pop.

My friend thought I wasnt hurt that bad, walked up to me, kicked me in the ass and called me a pussy. Then he saw my face.

Deputy Nutz
07-23-2008, 06:00 PM
PLaying bball. Running left, jumped, landed stiff legged, bones hit together and my knee went 6 inches to the left. Its a very audible pop.

My friend thought I wasnt hurt that bad, walked up to me, kicked me in the ass and called me a pussy. Then he saw my face.

Knee injuries are funny, none of them are ever the same. The total tear, the worst part about it is all the swelling once that is taken care of your knee will swell more often, but there isn't a whole lot of pain, the problem is your knee has the stability of jello, which then leads to more injuries which causes more pain.

Little Whiskey
07-23-2008, 06:57 PM
other knee in BJ class.

is this a class to be giver or an taker?

Deputy Nutz
07-23-2008, 07:37 PM
other knee in BJ class.

is this a class to be giver or an taker?

funny you dirty asswipe

digitaldean
07-23-2008, 10:36 PM

Knee injuries are funny, none of them are ever the same. The total tear, the worst part about it is all the swelling once that is taken care of your knee will swell more often, but there isn't a whole lot of pain, the problem is your knee has the stability of jello, which then leads to more injuries which causes more pain.

Sprained my MCL running earlier this year. Have a partial tear underneath my kneecap. Can't run that well. Was told after this my running every day is over because my knee is too far gone. But they still may want to operate. Why the heck would I have anything done if I can't run anymore anyway. Have been pain free for the most part the last 3 weeks.

Stability is OK, but not great. Just have to wear a knee brace if I do any heavy lifting. Can still bike and swim so it's not all bad.