PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting Providers

retailguy
07-22-2008, 09:23 PM
All,

My webhost has been sold, service is now crappy, email issues are frequent, I'm fed up and ready to move.

In the past I've always had a small reseller account for two primary reasons, private nameservers and multiple domain support.

I understand that now, I may not need a reseller account for that.

I primarily use email, no ecommerce any longer, just looking for rock solid reliability, good support, and good value.

suggestions?

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2008, 09:39 PM
I love crystaltech.com. Fantastic support, been with them for 7 years.

digitaldean
07-22-2008, 10:04 PM
I have used hostmonster.com for my sites.

I've only had to use the email support, but it's always been fast and helpful.

HarveyWallbangers
07-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I've been thinking about trying dreamhost.com out. Has anybody tried them?

digitaldean
07-22-2008, 11:59 PM
I've been thinking about trying dreamhost.com out. Has anybody tried them?

Personally, I've never used them.

Found some reviews on them, kind of a mixed bag.
1.) great price
2.) had some issues with uptime

http://www.webhostingjury.com/reviews/DreamHost

HarveyWallbangers
07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
My webhost has been sold, service is now crappy, email issues are frequent, I'm fed up and ready to move.

Which host are you currently using?

HarveyWallbangers
07-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Host Monster looks like a good choice--after researching a few web hosting companies.

retailguy
07-23-2008, 01:44 PM

Which host are you currently using?

I used to live in Western Washington and did business with a small company in Vancouver BC called Budgethost.ca.

I knew the owner, who was from Ontario, got personalized service, and he's now out of the picture as he sold out. Things change. Don't know the new people, can't contact support, emails are not being delivered.... yadda yadda yadda....

retailguy
07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Host Monster looks like a good choice--after researching a few web hosting companies.

I looked at this earlier today and it looks like a good possibility as does the one Harlan mentioned.

I probably need to call both of them and see what they have to say.

retailguy
07-23-2008, 07:29 PM
What about GoDaddy? Anybody use them, or do anything other than gape at the women, or register domains?

digitaldean
07-23-2008, 10:31 PM
What about GoDaddy? Anybody use them, or do anything other than gape at the women, or register domains?

I buy all my domains through them. (hint: enter in "tek3" into any coupon code field and you get a 10% discount). I hosted a site through GoDaddy a few years ago. OK, not great. But I haven't tried them recently, they may have improved.

Partial
07-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Well, is 100% uptime crucial? Are you just using them for email or actually hosting contact that adds up to dollars during the day?

Dreamhost or GoDaddy are both good enough for your average users needs. Search on Slickdeals for coupons. I know GoDaddy is extremely inexpensive with coupons.

HarveyWallbangers
07-23-2008, 10:48 PM
How about Host Monster or Bluehost? They are cheaper than Dreamhost. I don't need anything fancy. I'll do some Ruby development, but nothing extraordinary.

Partial
07-24-2008, 01:04 AM
How about Host Monster or Bluehost? They are cheaper than Dreamhost. I don't need anything fancy. I'll do some Ruby development, but nothing extraordinary.

I'll ask a guy that I work with tomorrow. I believe he has a host that he can run Jboss or other app servers from.