PDA

View Full Version : Commish involved in Favre issue?

Rastak
07-22-2008, 09:49 PM
From Mortenson at ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3500610

Updated: July 22, 2008, 10:41 PM ET
The Green Bay Packers got busy making phone calls Tuesday to several teams after being encouraged by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to resolve the controversy surrounding quarterback Brett Favre before they begin training camp Sunday, according to league and players union sources.

The Packers exploring trade options for Favre was first reported by the NFL Network.

The commissioner has been briefed by Packers general manager Ted Thompson on the status of the team's approach with Favre, who has said he wants to play again. Sources said Thompson reaffirmed to the commissioner that the organization wants to "move on" without Favre. Consequently, Goodell encouraged the GM to accelerate the process by surveying teams around the league to determine if there is a trade partner, the sources said.

The commissioner made it clear to Thompson that Favre will be reinstated as an active player if he makes the request, a decision that is forthcoming by Favre.

Goodell also has spoken with Favre, the sources said, telling the veteran passer that he was willing to assist in the process, if necessary.

Several teams in the AFC and NFC confirmed they were contacted by the Packers.

While Favre clearly prefers to play for the Minnesota Vikings, the logical trade partner appears to be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Bucs coach Jon Gruden once served as Favre's position coach in Green Bay and the Bucs have embraced veterans quarterbacks.

The Bucs also have been at a contract impasse with 38-year-old Jeff Garcia, who plans to report to training camp but only after missing a day or two to attend a reunion event with his father. The Bucs say it is an excused absence, but the relationship is strained.

Favre retired in early March, but recently has been having second thoughts about playing in 2008. He has asked to be released from his contract, a request the team has no plans to grant. The team has said it is committed to Aaron Rodgers, Favre's former understudy, as its quarterback of the future.

Favre's contractual rights belong to the Packers until his current deal expires after the 2010 season.

Meanwhile, a source told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on Tuesday that Favre has continued to use a cell phone issued by the Packers, and when the team checked the phone records, they showed "repeated calls to coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell."

The Packers filed a tampering charge against the Vikings last week, and while talking to Bevell, his former quarterbacks coach in Green Bay, might not show much, discussions with Minnesota's head coach may raise red flags.

The Vikings aren't commenting on the claim.

Green Bay's players report to training camp on Monday, with the first practice Tuesday.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Chevelle2
07-22-2008, 09:52 PM
WTF does this mean? Goodell is a strange fellow.

Joemailman
07-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Sounds like the Commish drafted Favre in his fantasy league. :lol:

Actually, not a bad move. The NFL has become practically a one story league, and having its most recognizable player in a spat with one of its premier franchises is not great PR.

Bretsky
07-22-2008, 09:57 PM

It means the commiss is smart in telling TT to get this ordeal over with because it's bad for everybody. Some will say this is meddling; I say kudos to a commissioner with stones

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Sources said Thompson reaffirmed to the commissioner that the organization wants to "move on" without Favre. Consequently, Goodell encouraged the GM to accelerate the process by surveying teams around the league to determine if there is a trade partner, the sources said.

Wouldn't Thompson's conversations with Goodell be highly sensitive and confidential?

What kind of "sources" would have access to this information, and also be willing to spill the beans? Obviously Goodell will know who the sources are, if they in fact exist.

I believe leaks where some party has an interest in leaking, but I don't see why anybody involved here would be taking a leak.

Chevelle2
07-22-2008, 09:59 PM

It means the commiss is smart in telling TT to get this ordeal over with because it's bad for everybody. Some will say this is meddling; I say kudos to a commissioner with stones

Yeah your right, I was just kinda confused initially, but you are correct.

Just hope MM doesn't say later he was "rushed" into a decision

:wink:

Bretsky
07-22-2008, 10:00 PM

Yeah your right, I was just kinda confused initially, but you are correct.

Just hope MM doesn't say later he was "rushed" into a decision

:wink:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That was actually pretty dam funny

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2008, 10:01 PM
It means the commiss is smart in telling TT to get this ordeal over with because it's bad for everybody.

Can you imagine any person in the universe has a greater interest in getting this over with than TT?

I really doubt that TT needs any prodding. Favre hasn't demonstrated his commitment to playing, he's the one dragging this out by not filing papers.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-22-2008, 10:09 PM

Actually, not a bad move. The NFL has become practically a one story league, and having its most recognizable player in a spat with one of its premier franchises is not great PR.

Yeah. Let's get favre off the front page and return drug users and assault charges to their rightful place. Step on down mr. kaczur and mr. thurman.

Packerarcher
07-22-2008, 10:10 PM
So will the Commish and the NFL be there to put TT into the witness protection program when/if Rodgers gets hurt and there is no one to save the day.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-22-2008, 10:16 PM
So will the Commish and the NFL be there to put TT into the witness protection program when/if Rodgers gets hurt and there is no one to save the day.

that is when the annointed one will lead us...Joey Harrington.

Bretsky
07-22-2008, 10:16 PM

IF AROD goes down early and ends up injury prone some will throw TT under the bus short term and become Brian Brohm fans long term.

As long as AROD wins the decision will not be ripped much IMO. If GB does not win then it'll be a trying year for the Packer front office after they send Favre packing

Joemailman
07-22-2008, 10:19 PM
It means the commiss is smart in telling TT to get this ordeal over with because it's bad for everybody.

Can you imagine any person in the universe has a greater interest in getting this over with than TT?

I really doubt that TT needs any prodding. Favre hasn't demonstrated his commitment to playing, he's the one dragging this out by not filing papers.

The story says Goodell has talked to Favre also. I suspect he's also telling Favre to make a decision one way or the other on whether he wants to play.

MJZiggy
07-22-2008, 10:25 PM
He may also appease him and tell him that if GB finds a trade partner that he's willing to go to, he could be traded without being added to the active roster at 2nd string...

Joemailman
07-22-2008, 10:30 PM

Yeah. Let's get favre off the front page and return drug users and assault charges to their rightful place. Step on down mr. kaczur and mr. thurman.

It's training camp time. They want warm fuzzy optimistic stories from every team about why their fans should be wildly optimistic this year. They don't want Favre going on Fox News talking about how his boss sucks.

oregonpackfan
07-22-2008, 11:11 PM

that is when the annointed one will lead us...Joey Harrington.

Planning an all-expenses paid trip to Oregon, Tyrone? :)
Lots of Oregonians would love to hear you say that.

Unfortunately, Harrington has had the misfortune of being on most of the worst teams in the NFL--Lions, Dolphins, Falcons. One of these years he will come back home to Portland and pursue a second career as a jazz pianist. He's actually a talented musician.

bobblehead
07-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Its becoming painfully obvious that brett retired cuz TT and MM held him accountable and he didn't like it. It is looking a lot like he talked with the vikes and tried to "manipulate" TT and the packeres into his release so he could play with the vikings. Now that he was outsmarted again by TT he doesn't want to play, TT can talk to whoever he wants, but unless BF gets his way and ends up with the vikes he ain't returning.

HarveyWallbangers
07-22-2008, 11:42 PM
It means the commiss is smart in telling TT and the Favre camp to get this ordeal over with because it's bad for everybody. Some will say this is meddling; I say kudos to a commissioner with stones

Fixed.

Guiness
07-23-2008, 02:10 AM
Sources said Thompson reaffirmed to the commissioner that the organization wants to "move on" without Favre. Consequently, Goodell encouraged the GM to accelerate the process by surveying teams around the league to determine if there is a trade partner, the sources said.

Wouldn't Thompson's conversations with Goodell be highly sensitive and confidential?

What kind of "sources" would have access to this information, and also be willing to spill the beans? Obviously Goodell will know who the sources are, if they in fact exist.

I believe leaks where some party has an interest in leaking, but I don't see why anybody involved here would be taking a leak.

I'm guessing this line tells the story

Several teams in the AFC and NFC confirmed they were contacted by the Packers.
If they've been contacting other teams, that's how the cat got out of the bag

-Hello, this is Ted Thompson calling to inquire in your interest in Brett Favre...

Pacopete4
07-23-2008, 02:14 AM
the thing is.. why would some team give us anything good right now? They know we are trying to dump him before camp.. so why would they try to give up anything worth a damn..

if I was a team I would wait to see how it plays out with us because if Favre goes to camp and we truely do not want him, we will give him away for even less.. and it still will have to be to a team Favre likes cuz he can just not report to the team and make his way back to the Pack starting it all over again...

I just don't see a trade working for the packers that much, if they dont want him to play, their best business move is to have him as a backup and if he dont like that, then he will stay retired... but to trade him and get really not much in return is stupid to me..

ps. I still think Favre should be our QB, im talking as if I were Ted "Weasley" Thompson

cpk1994
07-23-2008, 06:30 AM

It means the commiss is smart in telling TT to get this ordeal over with because it's bad for everybody. Some will say this is meddling; I say kudos to a commissioner with stonesThis is meddling. The commish has no right telling a team what to do with a RETIRED player. Brett is still RETIRED, Roger. TT dsoens't have do anything at all.

BallHawk
07-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Favre used a cell phone given to him by the Packers to make the calls?

I love Brett, but he certainly isn't the smartest guy in the world. :|

RashanGary
07-23-2008, 07:19 AM
I think this was putting more pressure on Favre than the Packers.

Favre wants to drag this out to force his way into the Vikings. The Packers filed tampering, now Goodell steps in to put a rush on things. If Goodell wants to get something done before camp then that would mean a trade and I think that is exactly what the Packers are looking for.

Thanks for looking out, Rog. Don't mess with the man, Brett :)

The Leaper
07-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Goodell is certainly overstepping his bounds here. He has no right to suggest or order a team to make certain roster moves.

If anyone should be called, it should be Favre. He's the one who needs to turn in paperwork before anything else happens.

Chevelle2
07-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Goodell is certainly overstepping his bounds here. He has no right to suggest or order a team to make certain roster moves.

If anyone should be called, it should be Favre. He's the one who needs to turn in paperwork before anything else happens.

He isn't though. He is just saying to hurry up the process.

GBRulz
07-23-2008, 07:50 AM

It means the commiss is smart in telling TT to get this ordeal over with because it's bad for everybody. Some will say this is meddling; I say kudos to a commissioner with stonesThis is meddling. The commish has no right telling a team what to do with a RETIRED player. Brett is still RETIRED, Roger. TT dsoens't have do anything at all.

I agree. Brett is getting the crappiest advice from his agent on not having filed those papers.

The Leaper
07-23-2008, 07:59 AM

Well, he has no right to do that either. The Packers have the right to sit on this if they want to. Goodell should have ZERO ability to influence teams in personnel decisions.

As I pointed out, if Goodell wants this to "hurry up", then he should call Favre.

BallHawk
07-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Bus Cook is a shmuck.

Chevelle2
07-23-2008, 08:05 AM

Well, he has no right to do that either. The Packers have the right to sit on this if they want to. Goodell should have ZERO ability to influence teams in personnel decisions.

As I pointed out, if Goodell wants this to "hurry up", then he should call Favre.

He has.

Ballboy
07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
This is just silly....what are the Packers supposed to do?

To my knowledge, Brett hasn't asked for reinstatement, why should the Packers to anything?

It would be a smooth thing if teams could trade away retired players.

Guiness
07-23-2008, 10:15 AM
It would be a smooth thing if teams could trade away retired players.

For some reason Wimpy's line (from Popeye) comes to mind
"I'll happily pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today"

boiga
07-23-2008, 10:23 AM
This is just silly....what are the Packers supposed to do?

To my knowledge, Brett hasn't asked for reinstatement, why should the Packers to anything?

It would be a smooth thing if teams could trade away retired players.They can. It would just be a conditional trade for Brett's rights should he come out of retirement. But this kind of trade wouldn't be a strong negotiating point because Brett could simply end trade talks by vowing to stay retired.

Honestly, the commish's involvement in this makes perfect sense to me because we have reached an impasse. The Packers are perfectly capable of sitting on their hands and swallowing Brett's salary for the year instead of going out and seeking trade options. But Brett can keep the controversy rolling until the sixth week of the season, allowing it to dominate the NFL news circuit and make everyone look bad.

So, for the sake of better PR, the commissioner convinces Ted that removing the distraction is better for all parties. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot less interest in Brett than he had hoped... so there might BE no quick resolution.

Unstoppable force vs immovable object, right? Weren't people clamoring for an impartial negotiator to all of this? And isn't that what Goodell gets paid for?

Patler
07-23-2008, 10:43 AM
The Commissioner has no business brokering any kind of deal between teams, or putting pressure on any team to trade, release or otherwise change any relationship with a player under contract to the team.

There is no impasse. The next move is clearly up to Favre. There is absolutely no reason that the Packers should do anything at this point, unless and until Favre asks for re-instatement on the active list of players. If he is not willing to do that, why should the Packers do anything at all?

The commish told the Packers he will re-instate Favre? Wow, that must have been a shock to the Packers! :roll: OF COURSE he will re-instate him, just as he would any other retired player who decides to un-retire. There is absolutely no reason for him not to, and it should not take any time to do it.

I think the commissioner should absolutely stay out of this matter. What next? Grant and the Packers don't reach agreement, Grant requests his release, should the commissioner get involved? What about the next high-profile player who wants his unexpired contract renegotiated? Should the commissioner step in?

This will all play its natural course if the people just let it. Training camp will start, and Favre will or will not ask for re-instatement. If he doesn't, story over. If he does, the Packers will do something. They aren't about to go into the season with a disgruntled, whining, backup QB making $13 million. There is absolutely no reason for the commissioner to push one resloution over another. It's up to the Packers and Favre.

Fritz
07-23-2008, 11:17 AM
I absolutely agree with Patler and strongly, strongly disagree with Bretsky. This isn't a commish with stones; this is a commish trying to do PR work at the expense of the Packers.

What kind of bargaining position has the commissioner's move put the Packers in? It has effectively taken away one of TT's strongest cards - that the Pack owns the rights and doesn't HAVE to do anything. Now teams know that TT is being "urged" (like Uncle Rico "urges" you) to settle this matter.

I think Goodell's involvement has hurt the Packers. It's created an unfair advantage for other teams in a way that falls outside the rules. Goodell didn't intervene when Stahan hemmed and hawed - hell, he's never intervened like this before. What crap!

On another note, if in deed Favre was also speaking with Brad Childish, doesn't that kinda make the tampering a slam dunk? I don't recall those two being big pals. And it ought to cost something more than what San Fran's vague contact with Briggs cost them.

Rastak
07-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I absolutely agree with Patler and strongly, strongly disagree with Bretsky. This isn't a commish with stones; this is a commish trying to do PR work at the expense of the Packers.

What kind of bargaining position has the commissioner's move put the Packers in? It has effectively taken away one of TT's strongest cards - that the Pack owns the rights and doesn't HAVE to do anything. Now teams know that TT is being "urged" (like Uncle Rico "urges" you) to settle this matter.

I think Goodell's involvement has hurt the Packers. It's created an unfair advantage for other teams in a way that falls outside the rules. Goodell didn't intervene when Stahan hemmed and hawed - hell, he's never intervened like this before. What crap!

On another note, if in deed Favre was also speaking with Brad Childress, doesn't that kinda make the tampering a slam dunk? I don't recall those two being big pals. And it ought to cost something more than what San Fran's vague contact with Briggs cost them.

Fixed your shitty spelling Fritz!

Actually, it depends on who called who....and length of conversation.

Players can call whomever the hell they want. They could call every GM or coach in the league. The team being called can't discuss the guy playing for them. My take on the Childress thing is if Favre called Chilly and they talked for two hours I gotta side with the Packers in thinking there was something going on. 10 minute call, no evidence. If Chilly called Favre, slam dunk.

As far the Commish thing, Patler is right but I think they are trying to stave off a public relations fiasco if things get worse, Favre being the popular fellow he is around the NFL.

3irty1
07-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I think this was putting more pressure on Favre than the Packers.

I agree. This puts more pressure on Favre to be agreeable and be happy with any trade TT can find with any partner. My guess is that Favre doesn't like his options and staying retired or a backup roll with GB starts looking pretty good.

Fritz
07-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Here's another point: the end of the article says Goodell will reinstate Favre, whose decision is forthcoming. It implies that Favre has decided to and will apply, but it does say "decision" and not what that decision definitely is.

Why hasn't Favre applied yet? Does he think by not doing so he lowers the Packers' ability to get more? A definitely reinstated Favre would seem to be worth more than a maybe Favre.

The more I think about this, the more I think Favre is lashing out at the pack as much as he is simply burning to play again.

Fritz
07-23-2008, 11:34 AM

On another note, if in deed Favre was also speaking with Brad Childress, doesn't that kinda make the tampering a slam dunk? I don't recall those two being big pals. And it ought to cost something more than what San Fran's vague contact with Briggs cost them.

Fixed your shitty spelling Fritz!

Actually, it depends on who called who....and length of conversation.

Players can call whomever the hell they want. They could call every GM or coach in the league. The team being called can't discuss the guy playing for them. My take on the Childress thing is if Favre called Chilly and they talked for two hours I gotta side with the Packers in thinking there was something going on. 10 minute call, no evidence. If Chilly called Favre, slam dunk.

As far the Commish thing, Patler is right but I think they are trying to stave off a public relations fiasco if things get worse, Favre being the popular fellow he is around the NFL.

Don't know, Ras...from what i here about your man "Chilly" my spelling wasn't off.

Your points about who called who are worth considering. Still, if they have no prior relationship, and the league is making these calls based on circumstantial evidence, as some posters here are saying, it doesn't look good.

By the way, does anyone know if Favre has some kind of no-trade or limited trade clause?

cpk1994
07-23-2008, 11:37 AM

He isn't though. He is just saying to hurry up the process.TEchnically he is when he goes to TT. TT shouldn't have to do anything until Brett files his paperwork, IF HE EVEN WANTS TO PLAY. TT should tell the commish buzz off until Favre decides to get reinstated.

Fritz
07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
I absoultely agree. I'd tell the commish that I'll think about doing something when the player indicates he's going to play - by sending in the reinstatement papers.

Ultimately, I'd tell the commish that he's overstepped his bounds on this one, and he needs to butt out.

Patler
07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
If the commissioner felt he had to do something to limit a PR nightmare, he should have called Favre and his agent and told them to either request reinstatement or shut-up. If they kept up with their complaints, he should have issued a statement saying that Brett Favre will remain on the retired list until such time as he requests reinstatement. He is and will be considered by the league and all teams to be retired.

In short, he should have stood behind the team and the contract. He should have stood up to Brett Favre. That would have taken stones, but he is taking the easy way out by not confronting Favre and instead giving in to him.

Murphy and Thompson should tell him to keep his nose out of the dealings between a player and the team.

Fritz
07-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Exactly.

Besides, does anyone think Goodell would have gone to these lengths if the player had been less popular or talented? He's trying to address this as a public relations matter, when it is not his job to interfere in what is a plyer-team stalemate.

if he wants to work on publicity, there are plenty of NFL players carrying drugs (even a Packer, supposedly - Jolly), shooting off guns, and hanging out at strip clubs at 3:00 a.m. to keep him busy.

boiga
07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Why hasn't Favre applied yet? Does he think by not doing so he lowers the Packers' ability to get more? A definitely reinstated Favre would seem to be worth more than a maybe Favre. You guys are missing out on one aspect of this situation.

Favre WILL NOT ask for reinstatement until he knows that there is a trade set in stone that he considers favorable. If he does, then the packers own him. He will be obligated to show up at training camp and can be substantially fined by the packers for not showing, showing up but not doing what he is told, or any other reason the Packers want to invent.

Also, if Favre asks for reinstatement and is on the packers' roster for 1 game day, he will receive 12 million dollars guaranteed. The only out that the packers have in that situation is to trade him immediately or release him (to go play for the vikings.) Brett has until week 6 to decide whether to be that big of a douche... but what's to stop him? His legacy's in the crapper already, right?

That possibility would, of course, be a fiasco for the PR of the Packers, the NFL, and the entire sport. So if Goodell steps in to try to convince both sides to avoid that worst case scenario, more power to him.

Fritz
07-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Boiga - I agree with everything you wrote - until the last paragraph. I just don't think it's Goodells' job to meddle in a team's affairs with its players if there has been no violation of any league rules.

Pugger
07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I'll echo others here and say Goodell should be speaking to Brett and NOT TT. Until Mr. Undecided files those reinstatement papers TT doesn't have to do squat. And if Brett doesn't file, he can just sit and ride his tractor in MS for all I care. :roll: This entire fiasco is getting tiresome...

Gunakor
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I'll echo others here and say Goodell should be speaking to Brett and NOT TT. Until Mr. Undecided files those reinstatement papers TT doesn't have to do squat. And if Brett doesn't file, he can just sit and ride his tractor in MS for all I care. :roll: This entire fiasco is getting tiresome...

Goodell spoke to Favre as well. Both sides have had a discussion with Goodell about speeding this up. Mortensen said he expects Favre to send in his papers within the next 72 hours. Then the ball is back in Thompson's court.

Patler
07-23-2008, 12:22 PM
You guys are missing out on one aspect of this situation.

Favre WILL NOT ask for reinstatement until he knows that there is a trade set in stone that he considers favorable. If he does, then the packers own him. He will be obligated to show up at training camp and can be substantially fined by the packers for not showing, showing up but not doing what he is told, or any other reason the Packers want to invent.

Also, if Favre asks for reinstatement and is on the packers' roster for 1 game day, he will receive 12 million dollars guaranteed. The only out that the packers have in that situation is to trade him immediately or release him (to go play for the vikings.) Brett has until week 6 to decide whether to be that big of a douche... but what's to stop him? His legacy's in the crapper already, right?

That possibility would, of course, be a fiasco for the PR of the Packers, the NFL, and the entire sport. So if Goodell steps in to try to convince both sides to avoid that worst case scenario, more power to him.

I haven't missed that point. Favre and his agent have said as much. The problem is, it doesn't make any sense. The Packers own Favre now. The have to do absolutely nothing, and Favre has no choice but to sit in Mississippi or request reinstatement. If he sits in Mississippi as he is now, the Packers have exactly what they want from this.

If he requests reinstatement AND shows up at camp, what will the packers do? Pay him $13 million and not play him? I doubt it.

boiga
07-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Boiga - I agree with everything you wrote - until the last paragraph. I just don't think it's Goodells' job to meddle in a team's affairs with its players if there has been no violation of any league rules.While I understand your sentiment, I'm not sure whether Goodell is "meddling" or "arbitrating." From the snippets being released, it could be either.

In my opinion, a little arbitration could be necessary at this point as neither party trust the other enough to reach a meaningful settlement in the short term.

I haven't missed that point. Favre and his agent have said as much. The problem is, it doesn't make any sense. The Packers own Favre now. The have to do absolutely nothing, and Favre has no choice but to sit in Mississippi or request reinstatement. If he sits in Mississippi as he is now, the Packers have exactly what they want from this.

If he requests reinstatement AND shows up at camp, what will the packers do? Pay him $13 million and not play him? I doubt it. Save that they'll waste 12 million if he decides to reinstate but not play in week 5. Sure, I'm almost willing to pay him the money to sit in Hattiesberg too, at this point. But it would not be a good business decision.

Favre can still screw over the Packers, and it's in TT's best interest to not let him do so.

Chevelle2
07-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Goodell's wife, and Im not kidding

Edit: wrong picture

Patler
07-23-2008, 02:27 PM

If he requests reinstatement AND shows up at camp, what will the packers do? Pay him $13 million and not play him? I doubt it.

Save that they'll waste 12 million if he decides to reinstate but not play in week 5. Sure, I'm almost willing to pay him the money to sit in Hattiesberg too, at this point. But it would not be a good business decision.

Favre can still screw over the Packers, and it's in TT's best interest to not let him do so.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting, that he can force the Packers to pay him his full salary? He can not decide to reinstate, not report and get paid. He can't reinstate during the season, report and force the Packers to pay him unless they chose to. The Packers will always have some time to decide whether to place him on their active roster and pay him, release him and not pay him, or trade him and pay only a portion of what he is owed with the other team paying the rest. The Packers will pay him only if the Packers decide they want to pay him rather than do either of the other things they can do.

He is owed his full salary as a veteran if he is on the active roster for the first game of the season. To do that he would have to reinstate and report early enough. If he reports later he is owed only a proportionate share if the Packer put him on the roster.

But again, the only way Favre forces them to do anything is by reinstating. Otherwise, they can simply do nothing.

boiga
07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
My understanding though, is that if Favre decides to be reinstated the day before the season opener, his full contract comes back into effect. So unless a trade is prearranged, the packers hand will be forced. They will either have to let him show up, and therefore pay him 12 million for sitting on the bench 1 game, or release him, at which point he could still play most of the season for the vikings.

Both options are so bad for the Packers that in essence it is going to be their obligation to arrange a trade before that could happen. We can't control where he goes but not pay him.

Patler
07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
My understanding though, is that if Favre decides to be reinstated the day before the season opener, his full contract comes back into effect. So unless a trade is prearranged, the packers hand will be forced. They will either have to let him show up, and therefore pay him 12 million for sitting on the bench 1 game, or release him, at which point he could still play most of the season for the vikings.

The teams are never forced to decide without the player at least presenting himself to the team for a physical and some type of readiness evaluation. The league routinely grants exemptions for teams to evaluate a player who comes off an inactive category of some type. They would likely allow the Packers to bring him to practice and run him through drills. At worst the Packers will always have at least a few days in which to arrange a trade.

Harlan Huckleby
07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Boiga - I agree with everything you wrote - until the last paragraph. I just don't think it's Goodells' job to meddle in a team's affairs with its players if there has been no violation of any league rules.

ya, I thought Goodells meddling was very strange.

If Favre wants to wait to apply for reninstatement that's his right.

And why should the team seek a trade before Favre reapplies?

Recent reports said that FAvre has turned-down some proposed teams from Thompson. If this is true, it sounds like Favre never complied with Thompson's request to give him a list of teams he is interested in playing for. Sounds like Favre is not being cooperative.

bobblehead
07-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Here is the deal. TT has outsmarted and been one step ahead of Favre every step of the way. I'm now confident that whatever stunt favre may be contemplating TT has thought of and has a solution.

Personally I would offer him to the vikes straight up for a 1st and a 2nd next year and see if they really want him....then I would proceed to kick his ass twice this year and win the division.

The only reason this got ugly is because brett wants to stick it to TT for whatever reasons he dreamed up and ONLY wants to play for the vikings. If he simply wanted to play he would have returned to the packers or had Bus work out a trade.

pbmax
07-23-2008, 06:20 PM
This is actually an argument for him to ask for reinstatement. However, he could avoid the fines, put the pressure on and still have training camp time with his new team if he reinstates mid-training camp.

Remember what Chris Simms is being quoted as saying, that Bruce Allen has been asking him if the Bucs offense could be picked up by someone with limited time and reps in camp. You could read this as fighting for the job with Garcia OR Favre comes in midway through camp.

Until Favre gets reinstated and the Packers demonstrate they are willing to have him here, they little trade leverage because its still quite possible he will be released or traded for a bag of seventh rounders.

Goodell, I hope, was just urging sanity. If he is really pressuring the Packers, then he better demonstrate the same decisiveness the next time TO, Pete Kendall, Chad Johnson, or Jake Plummer are trying to strong arm a team into trading them (or not trading them) even though they are under contract.

HarveyWallbangers
07-23-2008, 06:23 PM

Is this even true? Plenty of guys have retired early, and the team has gotten the player's signing bonus. I think the Packers would have a legitimate grievance if this were to happen. Again, I'm not sure about what would happen in this case, but it seems like Favre and the Packers would be heading to court if this happened.

pbmax
07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Favre and Cook have miscalculated the public reaction, but their timing has been fine, if you believe, as I do, that very early in this process Favre decided he wanted to leave.

The release gambit would have been nice for them, but it also put the Packers in a position to have to say, outright, NO, to the player. This probably seemed like a win-win at the time. They didn't get the boost with the fan sympathy they may have wished for, but they did get the Packers to agree to move him.

Cook has said he wants to avoid the circus, questions about backing up or competing, and fines that would happen if he reports. But that doesn't preclude him from asking for reinstatement in the second week of August, when he would still get camp and preseason time in.

Unless Favre sincerely does not want to report (as opposed to this being a leverage play), that is their likely next step. And without it, I don't see the Packers getting much in trade.

pbmax
07-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Its the first game, vested vets are guaranteed their salary if they are on the roster the day of game 1. That is why some vets get cut on Sat night, and then resigned Monday morning over the first weekend.

If its week six, then Favre would get pro-rated checks, cap hit would be lower. And the guarantee I am not sure about, but since vets sign immediately after game 1 for a non-guaranteed amount, I doubt his would be either.

Is this even true? Plenty of guys have retired early, and the team has gotten the player's signing bonus. I think the Packers would have a legitimate grievance if this were to happen. Again, I'm not sure about what would happen in this case, but it seems like Favre and the Packers would be heading to court if this happened.

MJZiggy
07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Fact is, if he wants to get on anyone's roster and try to learn the system, he's going to have to get there damn soon. Someone mentioned teams wanting to wait as long as possible to drop his value, but that logic doesn't work because if h won't go to a team that won't start him, then he needs to be in camp ASAP learning the new system. You guys remember how much trouble he had with M3's change in terminology?

Bretsky
07-23-2008, 06:45 PM
If a team wants him they will want him soon so he can get learning the new offense and terminology. And with TT not wanting him it's likely we won't get what some deem to be fair market value. But this mess needs resolution

Carolina_Packer
07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
If a team wants him they will want him soon so he can get learning the new offense and terminology. And with TT not wanting him it's likely we won't get what some deem to be fair market value. But this mess needs resolution

Allen Iverson trade from Philly anyone? Former GM Billy King cleared out his locker and devalued his trade value by trashing him to the media. Favre retired and Iverson didn't; I konw that. TT has not trashed Favre, but there are some similarities in that GB is now over a barrell in a way if they want to trade him. The commish has stepped in (or over-stepped in). So, the team's options are to let him file for reinstatement and add him to the active roster or try and trade him when he is retired, which may net them less than if he filed for reinstatement already. I just hope they get FMV for him if they go the trade route. I can't see Favre being reinstated and staying with the team at this point. He's not going to stay as a backup.

As for Goodell's involvement, why does Favre get the star treatment when there are other unhappy players in the league and he does nothing? Is this enabling Favre? Chad Johnson, Plaxico Burress and Devin Hester are unhappy (probably others too) and Goodell is not stepping in on their behalf. What gives?

Pugger
07-24-2008, 10:13 AM
The only reason Goodell stuck his nose into this is because we're talking about an iconic popular RETIRED player.

After all I've read and heard about this mess I'm with Fritz here and Brett probably has wanted OUT of GB all along because he has a problem with TT. Brett probably realized TT wouldn't trade him to the team he covets (the queens) so he has tried his darnest to make TT look like the villian and hoped that it would force TT to release him unconditionally. Thankfully TT isn't that stupid. So Brett is now deciding what to do - should he file the papers and be prepared to go to some AFC team that TT will ship him off to or should he just stay retired?

MJZiggy
07-24-2008, 09:01 PM
All I know is that I was sitting on the train this morning and a man was reading the paper and on the back page in the kids post was a 9-inch square picture of Favre with the headline "Should Athletes Quit their Quitting?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/23/AR2008072303280.html

I can't wait til this whole mess gets sorted out.

Rastak
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
All I know is that I was sitting on the train this morning and a man was reading the paper and on the back page in the kids post was a 9-inch square picture of Favre with the headline "Should Athletes Quit their Quitting?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/23/AR2008072303280.html

I can't wait til this whole mess gets sorted out.

Sitting on the train? Where the hell are you, London?

MJZiggy
07-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Fine, the Metro. Better?

Rastak
07-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Fine, the Metro. Better?

London would be more fun.

MJZiggy
07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
So let's go to London. Why not?

Rastak
07-24-2008, 09:13 PM