PDA

View Full Version : Silverstein blog on Favre trade efforts

Patler
07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Very interesting, it true:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/23/packers-contacting-quot-everybody-quot.aspx

the most interesting to me:

A well-connected NFL source said that he was told by one club that the Packers were basically told to contact "everybody" to see if there is interest. In other words, Goodell wants the Packers to either find a trading partner or exhaust all possibilities, thereby making it clear to Favre what to do.

The Packers, in turn, have contacted almost every team in the league with the exception of NFC North clubs and a few teams with established quarterbacks such as Indianapolis, New England and Dallas to gauge interest.

It is believed most teams want to see Favre apply for reinstatement before they begin serious trade talks so that they know whether he's really committed to playing. The fact Favre won't be able to play with the Minnesota Vikings - the Packers' NFC North rival -- may have lessened his desire to come back.

Harlan Huckleby
07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
I find a lot of this speculation annoying.

Silverstein suggests the Packers "may not be serious" about trading Favre. Well, maybe they have mixed feelings, but so what. All reports are that Favre is extremely fussy about where he wants to play, which just tells me he has mixed feelings as well.

I just don't think there is that much gamemanship going on. Its as simple as Favre not having unretired yet. Some sort of trade can and will happen if that's what Favre wants.

Patler
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
I just don't think there is that much gamemanship going on. Its as simple as Favre not having unretired yet. Some sort of trade can and will happen if that's what Favre wants.

Actually, that's what I got out of the article, and why I quoted the section I di. Everyone seems to be waiting for Favre, including would-be trading partners.

cpk1994
07-24-2008, 06:59 AM

Silverstein suggests the Packers "may not be serious" about trading Favre. Well, maybe they have mixed feelings, but so what. All reports are that Favre is extremely fussy about where he wants to play, which just tells me he has mixed feelings as well.

I just don't think there is that much gamemanship going on. Its as simple as Favre not having unretired yet. Some sort of trade can and will happen if that's what Favre wants.Exactly, and thats why Goodell shouldn't be barking at TT.

sheepshead
07-24-2008, 07:32 AM

You know with his attitude, salary, history of loosing in domes and age, it may not be that simple.

Fritz
07-24-2008, 08:42 AM
The fact that Favre has not yet applied for reinstatement suggets to me that the theory that Favre really only wanted/wants to come back if it's with the Vikings has some truth to it.

Patler, the article that was spun off this blog by Silverstein also suggest that there is "sentiment" in the locker room to move on with Rodgers, though the articel also says that without interviewing individual players it's hard to be sure.

I find this fascinating. If a player's primary concern (if he's okay with his contract) is getting to the Superbowl, then what does it mean that the players may be ready to just move on with Rodgers? Are they simply human and tired of the circus? Are they pissed, feeling like Favre kinda jerked them around, retiring and then kinda unretiring maybe then retiring again then maybe unretiring? Or do they have so much faith in Rodgers that that, combined with the other stuff, pushed them over?

Or maybe it's not true.

The Leaper
07-24-2008, 09:01 AM
The players ultimately will back the organization, even if they deep down wish Favre was QB in 2008.

Brett Favre doesn't sign any of their paychecks.

Fritz
07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
I dunno Leap. I think players often (quietly) back one another against management. Favre was kind of an exception to this with his JWalk comments a couple years ago. Management and employees don't usually have each other's backs.

texaspackerbacker
07-24-2008, 09:21 AM
I read this article too, and I didn't believe a word of it. There's not even a hint of any rules violation. Why the hell would the commissioner's office be sticking their nose in?

Cheesehead Craig
07-24-2008, 10:18 AM
I read this article too, and I didn't believe a word of it. There's not even a hint of any rules violation. Why the hell would the commissioner's office be sticking their nose in?
Because Brett Favre is the biggest marketing commodity in the NFL. The sooner the league knows it can print a jersey with his name on it for another team, the sooner they can make millions of $.

That is Goodell's one and only reason for getting involved, MONEY. He could give a rat's ass about anything else in this situation.

mmmdk
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM

You know with his attitude, salary, history of loosing in domes and age, it may not be that simple.

Favre can't win in the cold anymore or heat (Tampa rumor?)...a dome is what Favre wants. Favre can still play; he just ran himself out of Title Town.

Arizona, St.Louis or Atlanta are dome options. Tampa would still be the perfect spot along with Zona. I can't see any AFC teams fitting Favre in other than Miami.

Pugger
07-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Ding Ding Ding!! Cheesehead Craig has probably hit the nail on the head concerning Goodell!

I'm wondering if other teams may be just as concerned as TT and MM were about Farve not being 100% committed to playing this year. They may be looking at Farve's inaction - not yet filing his reinstatement papers - negatively. Plus the fact that Brett is going to be 39 in October, TT probably asking for high picks and Favre's lackluster play in big games the last few years - Seattle notwithstanding - may be stifling their enthusiasm for the RETIRED QB. :?:

cheesner
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
The fact that Favre has not yet applied for reinstatement suggets to me that the theory that Favre really only wanted/wants to come back if it's with the Vikings has some truth to it.

Patler, the article that was spun off this blog by Silverstein also suggest that there is "sentiment" in the locker room to move on with Rodgers, though the articel also says that without interviewing individual players it's hard to be sure.

I find this fascinating. If a player's primary concern (if he's okay with his contract) is getting to the Superbowl, then what does it mean that the players may be ready to just move on with Rodgers? Are they simply human and tired of the circus? Are they pissed, feeling like Favre kinda jerked them around, retiring and then kinda unretiring maybe then retiring again then maybe unretiring? Or do they have so much faith in Rodgers that that, combined with the other stuff, pushed them over?

Or maybe it's not true.

Or maybe the players believe that they are more likely to win the superbowl with Rodgers. Maybe they were dissappointed that Brett did not appear to want to play in that last game vrs the Giants. Maybe because before the game he was distant, disinterested, and just talked about hating the cold. Maybe some of the veterans, trying to get the team pumped up during the game where put off with Brett grumbling about 'being on a beach somewhere right now would be nice'.

bobblehead
07-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Because Brett Favre is the biggest marketing commodity in the NFL. The sooner the league knows it can print a jersey with his name on it for another team, the sooner they can make millions of $.

That is Goodell's one and only reason for getting involved, MONEY. He could give a rat's ass about anything else in this situation.

Spot on, when you can't figure something out follow the money. I broke my own cardinal rule and was upset at goodell getting involved, but I forgot to follow the money after I couldn't figure it out.

prsnfoto
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM

Or maybe it's not true.

Or maybe the players believe that they are more likely to win the superbowl with Rodgers. Maybe they were dissappointed that Brett did not appear to want to play in that last game vrs the Giants. Maybe because before the game he was distant, disinterested, and just talked about hating the cold. Maybe some of the veterans, trying to get the team pumped up during the game where put off with Brett grumbling about 'being on a beach somewhere right now would be nice'.

He had a QB rating over 100 at halftime I would hardly say that he didn't want to be there if our coach wasn't a fucking idiot and abandoned the run with our horseshit O-line the game would have been over or had Al "torch me softly" Harris could have stopped Plaxico ONCE or had the coaches changed the scheme we would have won. But of course you are right cheesenuts the guy that made a stupid throw but played well 90% of the game is to blame not the coaches,O-line or Al Harris who played well 0%.

Packerarcher
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I said it a while ago BUT NOOO no one would LISTEN. THE PACKERS and NOW the NFL are loosing MONEY on this. The best thing for the team as far as winning and money would have been to just bring Brett back when he wanted to come back. Now TT has fucked it all up,he could have had it all now he will have NOTHING.

The Leaper
07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
I still laugh every time I see some dumbass claim Favre is the primary reason we lost to the Giants...or that Favre somehow didn't come to play in that game.

Zool
07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Probably about the same I feel everytime someone says that Thompson is out to get Favre and wanted him gone back in 2006.

mmmdk
07-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Or maybe it's not true.

He had a QB rating over 100 at halftime I would hardly say that he didn't want to be there if our coach wasn't a fucking idiot and abandoned the run with our horseshit O-line the game would have been over or had Al "torch me softly" Harris could have stopped Plaxico ONCE or had the coaches changed the scheme we would have won. But of course you are right cheesenuts the guy that made a stupid throw but played well 90% of the game is to blame not the coaches,O-line or Al Harris who played well 0%.

Yeah that one long TD pass pretty much made up Favre's rating at half time... :roll: Driver was wide open.

The Leaper
07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah that one long TD pass pretty much made up Favre's rating at half time... :roll: Driver was wide open.

So just because it is one play, it shouldn't count?

Then I guess we can throw out the OT INT as well and call it even.

prsnfoto
07-24-2008, 01:59 PM

No it doesn't work that way with the haters they go all the way back to the Denver SB loss and every playoff game that was lost was Favre's fault, which was a very similar type game Brett played plenty good enough to win it was Reggie and the gang that couldn't stop the run Curtis Ennis would have rang up 200 yards in that game. Back to this year 236 yards and 2TD's and yes 2 INT's is not that bad when you consider that he WAS the only offense and it was horrible conditions. Manning had it way easier he had a running game and a coaching staff behind him. I actually like MM but he has not coached well in the few big games they have had and I am sure all the Favre bashers will remember that if it continues to hold true.

mmmdk
07-24-2008, 07:11 PM

I don't see where I state that the pass doesn't count?; stop your mind from playing tricks on you.

I don't why I'm a Favre hater; I loathe his current actions and I frankly just want Favre to move on. That was NEVER my stance prior to this debacle; I wanted Favre to play on...then he retired. I've called Favre 'not the sharpest knife around' numerous times throughout his career - that was when he threw games away with his wild ways - no biggie. But I still love Favre and I'm forgivng him as we speak.

bobblehead
07-24-2008, 07:54 PM

No it doesn't work that way with the haters they go all the way back to the Denver SB loss and every playoff game that was lost was Favre's fault, which was a very similar type game Brett played plenty good enough to win it was Reggie and the gang that couldn't stop the run Curtis Ennis would have rang up 200 yards in that game. Back to this year 236 yards and 2TD's and yes 2 INT's is not that bad when you consider that he WAS the only offense and it was horrible conditions. Manning had it way easier he had a running game and a coaching staff behind him. I actually like MM but he has not coached well in the few big games they have had and I am sure all the Favre bashers will remember that if it continues to hold true.

Favre basher here. I agree that MM's theory of not practicing in bitter cold is hurting us. If you haven't caught a BF bullet when your fingers are numb, you probably won't catch it the first few times. Living in the cold is very different than butting heads with strahan in the cold. Its different than catching and punting a football that is frozen. He needs to get his guys in the cold when they have cold games coming up. We looked soft and weak in the second bears game and in the NFC championship game....and we still almost won the second one. BF in no way lost that game for us, but he didn't win it either. bigby impressed me more than anyone in that game, he looked like he was hungry. This might be a HUGE year for him....almost as big as falco thinks twilliams is gonna have.

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Bottom line is that Goodell's intervention will have no effect whatsoever. Goodell may be frustrated (aren't we all?), but what the F is he going to do, force the Packers to make a trade they wouldn;t otherwise make? Tell Favre to hurry up and decide or he is going to hold his breath and stamp his feet?

I have to question Goodell's judgement here, particularly on the heels of his atrocious handling of the Patriot Spy Gate. Burning all the evidence? Even Richard Nixon didn't go that far, he just had Rosemary erase a tape or two.

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2008, 11:22 PM
I have to question Goodell's judgement here, particularly on the heels of his atrocious handling of the Patriot Spy Gate. Burning all the evidence? Even Richard Nixon didn't go that far, he just had Rosemary erase a tape or two.

Agreed--especially in regards to Spy Gate. I like some of the things he's done, but he needs to be careful not to go overboard.