PDA

View Full Version : Shareholders Meeting Update

GBRulz
07-24-2008, 10:38 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080724/PKR01/80724040/1978

Green Bay Packers President Mark Murphy opened today's shareholders meeting by saying, "Good morning, how are you all doing?"

Watch below for running updates from Press-Gazette reporter Tony Walter, who's at the meeting. Refresh this story regularly and look for the time of day in bold that indicates new updates.

10 a.m.: There was applause as Murphy talked about his enthusiasm.

A woman signed for the hearing impaired.

He commented on the Brett Favre situation right away, saying it is a football decision, but pointing out that he has been closely involved.

"We're all in unison," Murphy said, and there was a combination of cheers and boos."We want to be fair to Brett but we also want to do what's in the best interest of the Green Bay Packers."

There were calls from the stands from fans asking that the Packers bring Favre back.

10:07 a.m.: It's apparent that there are a lot of shareholders who are going to be vocal about their desire to have Favre returned to the team for 2008.

Murphy is getting ready to call Ted Thompson to the stage, praising him for his work.

When Thompson walked to the podium, there were more cheers than boos, and a majority of the shareholders stood to applaud him.

Thompson is praising the passion and love of the fans.

"We are family here, but family sometime disagree. But we'll always be family," he said.

He said it's been a difficult time for everyone. He said it's a complicated matter that they'll continue to work through. He said the team will always look to God for guidance.

"We're very excited about this team coming forward," he said.

10:12 a.m.: Thompson said the team is well on its way to signing draft choices.

He said the team is continuing to address the contract needs of current players. He said running back Ryan Grant is one of the contracts being discussed. He doesn't anticipate a long-term problem, he said.

It's interesting that both Murphy and Thompson have talked about the Favre situation right away.

Thompson started a position-by-position discussion by mentioning the receivers. Everyone is waiting for him to talk about quarterbacks.

10:14 a.m.: Thompson said the quarterback situation is next.

"Easy," he said.

Then he talked about the three on the roster, including Aaron Rodgers.

He didn't dwell on the QB position and didn't mention Favre.

10:24 a.m.: Thompsn seems quite relaxed facing the shareholders, probably because he mentioned the Favre issue right off the bat.

He mentioned a contract extension to linebacker Brady Poppinga.

He actually used some humor, saying defensive backs are not normal people, drawing laughs from the crowd.

He said he wants to continue to build from within.

"Our focus is to win, and to win now," he said. "We said that last year."

He said the team is proud of 2007 but added, "But we're not satisfied."
Pre-Shareholders Meeting Information

Even Elvis showed up in support of Brett Favre for this morning's Green Bay Packers shareholders meeting.

“Honestly, I think there’s going to be trouble with Ted Thompson today. There’s going to be heckling,” said Tom Rakowski of Wind Lake, Wis., who was dressed in full Evis attire, with a cheesehead that said “Favre is King.”

Shareholders are being entertained prior to the 10 a.m. meeting with a showing of the team’s 2007 highlight film. It includes excerpts from Brett Favre’s retirement press conference in March but also includes his achievements last season.

The Packers expect about 10,00-12,000 shareholders to attend the east side stands were filling up fast.

There are about 20 chairs on the stage, with about a dozen TV cameras set up in front of the stands.

Other notes:

# Wearing a Favre jersey, Lynn VandeYacht of Neenah, attended her first shareholders meeting today to show support of Brett Favre.

“I’d love to see him come back, but I think the way it is now, that won’t happen,” said VandeYacht, who also had a sign that read “Ted how many false words will you be responsible for today?”

“No matter what happens with Brett Favre, Mark Murphy needs to release Ted Thompson,” she said.

# Debi Stinner a former Eagles’ fan turned Packers’ cheesehead, came from Pennsylvania to attend her first shareholders meeting.

“I’m very excited, she said. “I love everything about the Packers. But I’ve been about disowned by my family.”

Steiner, a third-grade teacher, says she uses the Packers to teach students about teamwork. “I stress that I’m not a Packers fan just because I like the team. I like what they stand for and I start teaching the kids what it’s like to be a team.”

# The Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre debate also is causing rift between Packers fans and even marriage.

Mark Probst of Appleton supports Rodgers. He wore a no-name No. 12 jersey, but replaced the nameplate area with the words “move on.”

“Aaron Rodgers said it best -- get on board or shut up,” he said.

His wife, Patti, doesn’t agree. “Trade Ted instead,” she said. “If you’re going to make it to the Super Bowl, it won’t be with Aaron Rodgers.”

-- Sarah Kloepping, Tony Walter/Press-Gazette

Rastak
07-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Are any of the PackerRats shareholders attending?

GBRulz
07-24-2008, 10:42 AM
I thought ND72 said that he was attending today.

Rastak
07-24-2008, 10:50 AM

I'm guessing it would be quite interesting. Sounds like a pretty good sized crowd.

GBRulz
07-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah, even "Elvis" is there, lol.

Pugger
07-24-2008, 10:53 AM
I didn't attend. For some reason the post office didn't forward my proxy up here again this year. These meetings aren't as much fun now as they were before the last stock sale. Back then the meeting was at the Midway Motel and only 100 people were there. Back then you could REALLY get up close to the powers that be and rub elbows with all the big wigs in the organization. It is too bad that some fans/stockholders still think this mess with Brett is all TT's doing. :roll: I can't wait until WE ALL move on...

RashanGary
07-24-2008, 11:12 AM
It didn't sound like the boos were too bad. That's good. It also sounds like the organization is firmly standing behind Ted Thompson here. Murphy said this was a decision that was in the best interest of the organization. They're not doing this so they can get worse, they're doing it to get better.

I'm a little burned out of the Favre talk, but it will come to an end and we'll have a lot of football issues to talk about in just a few short days.

pbmax
07-24-2008, 11:16 AM
GB Press Gazette said Thompson left to cheers, no booing. JSOnline had cheers and standing O winning over boos when he was introduced.

McCarthy got unanimous support according to both.

boiga
07-24-2008, 11:31 AM
GB Press Gazette said Thompson left to cheers, no booing. JSOnline had cheers and standing O winning over boos when he was introduced.

McCarthy got unanimous support according to both.That's certainly reassuring. It seems that most of the die hards have accepted facts as they stand rather than complaining over what could have been.

That should give the packer brass at least two games worth of good will should we stumble coming out of the gate this year.

ND72
07-24-2008, 11:53 AM

I was going to but found out last night I had to type a paper for a class I'm taking this summer due today....SO I had to cancel that trip. My buddy is there though.

digitaldean
07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Got to love PFT's level of journalism:
____
As Packers General Manager Ted Thompson awkwardly attempts to keep the fans happy while keeping the franchise’s most popular player away, he had a rough go of it today at the team’s shareholders’ meeting.

Multiple reports indicate that the majority of the thousands of shareholders who showed up today in Green Bay were anti-Thompson and pro-Brett Favre.

The Green Bay Press Gazette reports that Thompson was greeted by a number of fans shouting, “Bring Brett back.” And a PFT reader who attended the meeting estimated that three-fourths of those in attendance were booing Thompson.

For his part, Thompson tried to stay positive and look forward, not backward.

“We are family here, but family sometime disagree. But we’ll always be family,” he said. ” We’re very excited about this team coming forward.”
______
JSO and GBPress Gazette were reporting boos giving way to a standing O for TT.

Somehow Florio's not following up on his "source. :oops:

DannoMac21
07-24-2008, 02:07 PM
What could the Packers acquire for Ted Thompson, if in fact they did trade him as the last lady suggested?

prsnfoto
07-24-2008, 02:07 PM
____
As Packers General Manager Ted Thompson awkwardly attempts to keep the fans happy while keeping the franchise’s most popular player away, he had a rough go of it today at the team’s shareholders’ meeting.

Multiple reports indicate that the majority of the thousands of shareholders who showed up today in Green Bay were anti-Thompson and pro-Brett Favre.

The Green Bay Press Gazette reports that Thompson was greeted by a number of fans shouting, “Bring Brett back.” And a PFT reader who attended the meeting estimated that three-fourths of those in attendance were booing Thompson.

“We are family here, but family sometime disagree. But we’ll always be family,” he said. ” We’re very excited about this team coming forward.”
______

My boss called me this afternoon and he and his buddies that were THERE said it was about 60% booing and 40% cheers, he also said TT's exit was not positive he was heckled heavily so it appears the Press Gazette guy is the one exagerating the crowd.

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
____

______

My boss called me this afternoon and he and his buddies that were THERE said it was about 60% booing and 40% cheers, he also said TT's exit was not positive he was heckled heavily so it appears the Press Gazette guy is the one exagerating the crowd.

You appear to be on the "pro-Favre" side. Are your buddies? Maybe that skewed their perception. Does it really matter though. Thompson hasn't been very popular. If the team continues to win, those fans will be on his side. If not, he'll be elsewhere.

prsnfoto
07-24-2008, 02:24 PM
____

______

You appear to be on the "pro-Favre" side. Are your buddies? Maybe that skewed their perception. Does it really matter though. Thompson hasn't been very popular. If the team continues to win, those fans will be on his side. If not, he'll be elsewhere.

My boss is, one of his buddies is not and the other guy went to drink beer afterwards, I will be the first to admit Brett was wrong in how he handled this but none of us except Brett and TT know what really happened my position is that a GM's job is to put the best product on the field and that is clearly not what he is doing and for that reason if they don't go to the playoffs he should be fired. I am a hard ass like that, on the flip side I would let Brett play and if he sucked I would sit his ass down and give the ball to Rodgers.

RashanGary
07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Thompson hasn't been very popular. If the team continues to win, those fans will be on his side. If not, he'll be elsewhere.

This is spot on. Every decision from McCarthy to Javon Walker to Ahman Green and now Brett Favre has been torn to high hell by some of the mentally challenged extremist Packer faithfull. Like with those decisions this one will be judged on how it plays out, not on the immediate fan reaction. Ted Thompson is charged with the task of building a winner. He'll be judged on that; nothing more, nothing less.

Pacopete4
07-24-2008, 03:14 PM
I cant see this decision comparing to Green, Walker, or McCarthy....

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Who to believe?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080724/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_packers_shareholders_1

Support for Favre muted as Pack shareholders meet
By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. - There were plenty of No. 4 jerseys in the stands and a smattering of jeers for general manager Ted Thompson at Thursday morning's annual meeting of Green Bay Packers shareholders at Lambeau Field.

But the meeting hardly turned into a bring-back-Brett Favre rally.

Most of the 9,375 shareholders attending the meeting pleasantly applauded Thompson and team president and CEO Mark Murphy, then gave a raucous standing ovation to head coach Mike McCarthy. The reaction seemed to indicate that many of the fans who own a tiny stake in the team they love are backing the front office in its ongoing standoff with the semiretired franchise quarterback.

boiga
07-24-2008, 05:02 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/24/thompson-hears-from-the-shareholders.aspx

"He wouldn't even look at me, he wouldn't answer my question. I said I'm distressed and could you just answer my question."

Thompson eventually replied, saying, "There's a lot of distress." Jeez, sucks to be him right now.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Espn on OTL with Bob Ley..and everyone's fav..sal pal...said it was a standing ovation for TT.

I say fire TT and bring back The Motorcycle Boy as leader of the Packers.

GBRulz
07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
I talked to a couple of people who went there, said overall it was about a 50/50 split between support for Brett or TT. For the most part, it seemed like most people want Brett back and agree that he gives us our best chance to win, but also don't like the way he handled this at all and support the organization. That's kinda what I had figured.

They said the new TC tents are cool though.

rbaloha1
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
it appears TT had more support than BF.

What if the situation was reversed? The media outside of Wisconsin reveal in playing up the drama creating more "news."

This "news" fuels BF which leads to childish antics. Maybe since BF is now exposed, the drama subsides as the behind the scenes negotiating occurrs.

GO PACK GO!

pbmax
07-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I wish I could have gone. I would have purchased the custom Thompson Oilers jersey we talked about last year.

pbmax
07-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Wilde (State Journal) on the radio said inside the atrium, while the pro-Favre shareholders were more agressive in pressing their case to Thompson, he said the meet and greet was still more pro-Packer org than pro-Favre.

His impression of the whole thing was surprise. he expected over 50% to be negative towards Thompson, said it was the reverse.

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I wish I could have gone. I would have purchased the custom Thompson Oilers jersey we talked about last year.

I have the 2004 Pro Bowl Favre Jersey on now; it's the most unique looking Favre uniform IMO that I've seen. Blue, Red, and White with a bunch of emblems on it. Pretty GQish even thought I wouldn't be remotely qualified to be GQey

pbmax
07-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Per AP article:

In other developments Thursday, Green Bay's shareholders' meeting at Lambeau Field drew plenty of No. 4 jerseys in the stands and a smattering of jeers for general manager Ted Thompson.

The meeting, however, hardly turned into a bring-back-Favre rally.

Most of the 9,375 shareholders attending the meeting pleasantly applauded Thompson and Murphy before giving a raucous standing ovation to head coach Mike McCarthy. The reaction seemed to indicate that many of the fans who own a tiny stake in the team they love are backing the front office in its ongoing standoff with the semiretired franchise quarterback.

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
I talked to a couple of people who went there, said overall it was about a 50/50 split between support for Brett or TT. For the most part, it seemed like most people want Brett back and agree that he gives us our best chance to win, but also don't like the way he handled this at all and support the organization. That's kinda what I had figured.

My guess is with the exception of a few, most agree with this. However, some are willing to look past Favre's bad doings and want to bring him back to win now, while others do not.

gex
07-24-2008, 10:28 PM
According to the news on tv here it was 75% Favre 25% TT.
Lot of boos and criticizm for TT.

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2008, 10:36 PM

I trust this report the most.

gex
07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Found this somwhere sometime ago.

"Brett, I owe you an apology. I have broken faith. I have sinned against you in my heart. A year ago at this time, I was saying unkind things about you to other Packers fans. Things like "It's time for him to retire before he ruins his legacy with another 30-interception season." And: "Every season he plays just postpones our next Super Bowl hopes by another year." And: "He's the only quarterback alive whose decisionmaking gets worse as he gets older." Brett, I'm sorry. All those things I said about you? They were true. Face it: You're just not the same quarterback you were 10 years ago, and I don't mean physically. Half the time, you don't seem to have the heart for a whole 60-minute game. You'll squander a perfectly promising drive by throwing deep into double coverage, for no apparent reason other than to cut the tension. (Holmgren would've kicked your ass for it. Sherman didn't, which is probably why you keep doing it.) Then, you'll make that ridiculous little-boy grimace-face, like "How could this have happened?" which makes me want to reach through the TV screen and shake you. Afterwards, you'll say something preposterous about how your mistakes weren't really mistakes because you were just trying to "make something happen."

But you know what? None of that matters. After last season ended, I realized something had changed. I wanted you to come back. And it wasn't because you'd managed to lead the Green Bay to a perfectly respectable and better-than-expected 8-8 finish. Nor was it because this season's prospects look even better, with a core of talented young defensive players (Aaron Kampman, Cullen Jenkins, A.J. Hawk, Nick Barnett) who should guarantee the Pack a playoff spot no matter what happens on offense. Nor is it because, seriously, Aaron Rodgers? Brett, I don't care about those things. I don't care if we make the playoffs or not. I don't care if you throw 40 picks this year, and you make that stupid face every time. If I wanted to watch someone execute perfect plays, I'd root for Peyton Manning. I don't. I want to watch the guy who got called for a late hit against the Vikings after decking the cornerback who'd picked him off. The guy who got knocked silly in the Jets game, then popped up and threw a touchdown he didn't remember afterwards. The guy who played the best game of his life the night his dad's body lay cooling on a slab -- turning a throwaway Raiders game into the most poignant night of my career as a fan. If the other stuff -- the insane decisions, the dumb risks, the misguided belief in an ability to turn any broken play into six points -- if all that comes along with the package, so be it. I just want it to last as long as possible. "