PDA

View Full Version : No Packer Phone For Favre?

pbmax
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080723/PKR01/80723178/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

This would mean McGinn, Clayton and Wilde got it wrong if Dougherty is right. That's a big miss.

boiga
07-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Unless, of course, Florio is right that the Packers are covering up a potential trading cap scandal regarding the packer owned phones. I don't really care one way or the other though. The league will find out whether there were any phone calls no matter which phone was used. Who knows?

Maybe campen just peeked into Favre's call history while Brett was in the john?

DonHutson
07-24-2008, 03:31 PM
The slap on the wrist the Packers would get for giving Favre a phone should be far smaller than the penalties for tampering if Childress and Bevell have been talking to Favre.

bobblehead
07-24-2008, 07:55 PM
I would disconnect those phones anyway, they are sullied by having contacted the vikings.

Joemailman
07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Assuming the Packers really know something, how did they find out? Did Favre tell Campen about the conversations? Did Favre tell a family member who talked to a reporter, and it eventually made it's way to the Packers? Loose lips sink ships.

Rastak
07-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Assuming the Packers really know something, how did they find out? Did Favre tell Campen about the conversations? Did Favre tell a family member who talked to a reporter, and it eventually made it's way to the Packers? Loose lips sink ships.

I was wondering the same thing. Telling Campen wouldn't be anywhere near enough evidence though. Anybody could report anybody else and convict them if all you needed was hearsay. They must have more than that, or it was a good diversionary tactic by TT.

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
It ain't a court of law. Campen's word vs. Favre's word then. Threaten to make them take a lie detector if they have two different stories. I'm assuming the NFL can get the phone logs, so it's not like they won't find out if Chilly called Favre (or vice versa) in a phone that can be monitored.

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
TED THOMPSON picked off the bugged phone conversations from Jack Bauer

Rastak
07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
It ain't a court of law. Campen's word vs. Favre's word then. Threaten to make them take a lie detector if they have two different stories. I'm assuming the NFL can get the phone logs, so it's not like they won't find out if Chilly called Favre (or vice versa) in a phone that can be monitored.

1) It's against federal law to force someone to take a lie detector test. That would be interesting.

2) How is it legal to monitor a phone you don't own?

The only way they could get phone records is if the Packers owned the cell phone. Unless the NFL claims they own the Vikings phones or they threaten the old "unless you turn over records trumping the law we will asusme you are guilty".

I have no idea what evidence the Packers presented. You can't order someone to take a lie detector test though. Unless Mike Shannanigan is running the league, of course!

packrat
07-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Favre's jealous cousin picked the phone bill out of the garbage and sent it to TT.

Joemailman
07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
If Campen had information regarding calls between Favre and the Vikings, Campen's word might have been enough for the NFL to launch their investigation. The Packers don't need irrefutable proof to launch a tampering complaint.

bobblehead
07-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Patriot act...not new england. That bill has to go, now its interfering with the NFL.

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2008, 11:11 PM
1) It's against federal law to force someone to take a lie detector test. That would be interesting.

The only way they could get phone records is if the Packers owned the cell phone. Unless the NFL claims they own the Vikings phones or they threaten the old "unless you turn over records trumping the law we will asusme you are guilty".

I'm not sure how it went down or what rules are in place, but if they don't have to give email and phone records, then how can anything be "proven" (again, not a court of law). How did the NFL fine the 49ers for tampering with Lance Briggs? I'm guessing that the NFL has some means to monitor. Otherwise, how would they ever prove tampering? Why did the NFL security team go to Minneapolis? To interview Brad Childress, so he could claim that he didn't talk to Favre? Reports from the 49ers-Bears tampering case, showed the NFL found that Rosenhaus and the 49ers talked over the phone. It also showed the 49ers had email correspondence with Briggs or his agent. I'm not an expert on the case, but if you are correct, I wonder how the NFL could have legally gotten those records in that case?

Rastak
07-25-2008, 05:49 AM

I'm not sure how it went down or what rules are in place, but if they don't have to give email and phone records, then how can anything be "proven" (again, not a court of law). How did the NFL fine the 49ers for tampering with Lance Briggs? I'm guessing that the NFL has some means to monitor. Otherwise, how would they ever prove tampering? Why did the NFL security team go to Minneapolis? To interview Brad Childress, so he could claim that he didn't talk to Favre? Reports from the 49ers-Bears tampering case, showed the NFL found that Rosenhaus and the 49ers talked over the phone. It also showed the 49ers had email correspondence with Briggs or his agent. I'm not an expert on the case, but if you are correct, I wonder how the NFL could have legally gotten those records in that case?

Not sure. It's a good question. I'm sure the NFL has the right to ask for them. to be volunteered I just know they can't grab private phone records and you can't force lie deterctor tests so they must have some means.

I think the email thing likly sunk the 49ers. It had to contain specifics.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 07:33 AM
I found this comment from someone in the Green Bay Press Gazette discussion about this article. Not sure how to verify it though. Maybe this explains the difference in "source" information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Marco Rivera was interviewed this afternoon on a Dallas sports radio station, and he said that the cell phone Favre used was not issued to Favre, but to someone else on the Packer staff. Favre borrowed the phone, placed calls to the vikings coaching staff using the phone, and that is the evidence that the Packers submitted for their tampering charge. Rivera spoke with Favre about it this weekend in GB (Rivera was there in support of the Frank Winters and the other inductees into the Pack HOF).

packrat
07-25-2008, 07:34 AM
As a private organization, the NFL can have rules that require teams to provide records as a condition of membership. I can't force a guy on the street to give a urine test, but if he wants a job, I can make it a condition of employment.

pbmax
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
I think it might be volunteering in the sense that you volunteer for a five mile run or latrine duty in the Army. Technically, you are volunteering, but the true reason is you fear the consequences of not acting.

To maintain their status in the league, the team must turn over records of all sorts that a private business would not. Like gate receipts or local revenue figures. And they do it gladly, because while Ziggy is wealthy, I bet he likes the checks from the league for their national TV contract.

Not sure. It's a good question. I'm sure the NFL has the right to ask for them. to be volunteered I just know they can't grab private phone records and you can't force lie deterctor tests so they must have some means.

I think the email thing likly sunk the 49ers. It had to contain specifics.

Fritz
07-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Why would Marco Rivera have a team-issued cell phone?