PDA

View Full Version : I love Alaska...

Freak Out
07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
....but this shit is getting old. Fresh snow in the mountains around town.

http://www.adn.com/life/story/473786.html

Gloomy summer set for infamy
CHILLY: Anchorage could hit 65 degrees for fewest days on record.

By GEORGE BRYSON
gbryson@adn.com

(07/24/08 00:10:35)
The coldest summer ever? You might be looking at it, weather folks say.

Right now the so-called summer of '08 is on pace to produce the fewest days ever recorded in which the temperature in Anchorage managed to reach 65 degrees.

That unhappy record was set in 1970, when we only made it to the 65-degree mark, which many Alaskans consider a nice temperature, 16 days out of 365.

This year, however -- with the summer more than half over -- there have been only seven 65-degree days so far. And that's with just a month of potential "balmy" days remaining and the forecast looking gloomy.

National Weather Service meteorologist Sam Albanese, a storm warning coordinator for Alaska, says the outlook is for Anchorage to remain cool and cloudy through the rest of July.

"There's no real warm feature moving in," Albanese said. "And that's just been the pattern we've been stuck in for a couple weeks now."

In the Matanuska Valley on Wednesday snow dusted the Chugach. On the Kenai Peninsula, rain was raising Six-Mile River to flood levels and rafting trips had to be canceled.

So if the cold and drizzle are going to continue anyway, why not shoot for a record? The mark is well within reach, Albanese said:

"It's probably going to go down as the summer with the least number of 65-degree days."

MEASURING THE MISERY

In terms of "coldest summer ever," however, a better measure might be the number of days Anchorage fails to even reach 60.

There too, 2008 is a contender, having so far notched only 35 such days -- far below the summer-long average of 88.

Unless we get 10 more days of 60-degree or warmer temperatures, we're going to break the dismal 1971 record of only 46 such days, a possibility too awful to contemplate.

Still, according to a series of charts cobbled together Tuesday evening by a night-shift meteorologist in the weather service's Anchorage office, the current summer clearly has broken company with the record-setting warmth of recent years. Consider:

• 70-degree days. So far this summer there have been two. Usually there are 15. Last year there were 21. In 2004 there were 49.

• 75-degree days. So far this summer there've been zero. Usually there are four. It may be hard to remember, but last year there were 21. In 2004 there were 23.

So are all bets off on global warming? Hardly, scientists say. Climate change is a function of long-term trends, not single summers or individual hurricanes.

Last year the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change concluded that it's "unequivocal" the world is warming, considering how 11 of the warmest years on record have occurred in the past 13 years.

So what's going on in Alaska, which also posted a fairly frigid winter?

LA NINA

Federal meteorologists trace a lot of the cool weather to ocean temperatures in the South Pacific.

When the seas off the coast of Peru are 2 to 4 degrees cooler than normal, a La Nina weather pattern develops, which brings cooler-than- normal weather to Alaska.

For most of the past year, La Nina (the opposite of El Nino, in which warmer-than-normal ocean temperatures occur off Peru) has prevailed. But that's now beginning to change.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Web site, water temperatures in the eastern South Pacific began to warm this summer -- and the weather should eventually follow.

The current three-month outlook posted by the national Climate Prediction Center in Camp Springs, Md., calls for below-normal temperatures for the south coast of Alaska from August through October -- turning to above-normal temperatures from October through December.
:alc:

MJZiggy
07-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Come visit. Warm up.

Charles Woodson
07-24-2008, 07:09 PM
mid 80s in miami 8-)

Tyrone Bigguns
07-24-2008, 07:12 PM
108 in the 'nix.

Kiwon
07-24-2008, 07:25 PM
:shock: Oh no, Freaky.

Keep the faith. Don't turn to the Dark Side.

Man-made Global Warming is undeniable, incontrovertible.

Mankind has the power to change the planet, even the universe.

We want things to be cold. Don't you care about the polar bears?

We've only got 42 years, no, 10 years, no just 18 months before our very planet turns on us. Oh the humanity! But that's the problem - humanity.

Alas, even our divine leader, Al Gore, is failing us. There may be no hope.

~

Al Gore: "We may have less than ten years in order to make dramatic changes, lest we lose the chance to avoid catastrophic results from the climate crisis."

Tom Brokaw: "Let me ask you about your personal lifestyle. Why was it necessary for you to have a 10,000-square-foot home? It's going to be more energy intensive than a smaller home for just the two of you."

Al Gore: "I don't claim to be perfect, and all of us who care about this issue or are trying to do our part, but I will say this, we buy green energy."

~

Really?

NASHVILLE – In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more energy-efficient, the former Vice President’s home energy use surged more than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

“A man’s commitment to his beliefs is best measured by what he does behind the closed doors of his own home,” said Drew Johnson, President of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research. “Al Gore is a hypocrite and a fraud when it comes to his commitment to the environment, judging by his home energy consumption.”

In the past year, Gore’s home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

In February 2007, An Inconvenient Truth, a film based on a climate change speech developed by Gore, won an Academy Award for best documentary feature. The next day, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research uncovered that Gore’s Nashville home guzzled 20 times more electricity than the average American household.

After the Tennessee Center for Policy Research exposed Gore’s massive home energy use, the former Vice President scurried to make his home more energy-efficient. Despite adding solar panels, installing a geothermal system, replacing existing light bulbs with more efficient models, and overhauling the home’s windows and ductwork, Gore now consumes more electricity than before the “green” overhaul.

Since taking steps to make his home more environmentally-friendly last June, Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month – 1,638 kWh more energy per month than the year before the renovations. By comparison, the average American household consumes 11,040 kWh in an entire year, according to the Energy Information Administration. The cost of Gore’s electric bills over the past year topped $16,533."

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=764

.................................................. ............

Your pain is our gain, Freaky, so don't complain. Take one for Team Human. Your being cold is saving the planet and allowing Al Gore to use more energy for himself as he goes about the business of getting the rest of us to cut back on our energy usage.

Freak Out
07-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Come visit. Warm up.

I've actually been alternating weekends in Alaska and the lower 48. I'll stay here one weekend and fish/hike or kayak and the next if the weather is nasty (which it has been all summer) I'll head to Oregon or Washington. I have been planning on making a trip to New Glarus via Chicago for a beer run but haven't done it yet.....and I need to make a visit to the DC area as well.

I have a boatload of Alaska Airlines miles I need to use.

Who knows....I could get a wild hair for some dogfish head.....

MJZiggy
07-24-2008, 07:33 PM
You know I got it. And Kivon, does everything have to get political? (I knew someone would bring it up) I thought this was just a legitimate bitch about snow in July.

Kiwon
07-24-2008, 07:41 PM
You know I got it. And Kivon, does everything have to get political? (I knew someone would bring it up) I thought this was just a legitimate bitch about snow in July.

Kivon is my cousin.

Yes, it HAS to be political. We've only got 18 months to live. Get a grip on reality.

Let Brett play so that he can enjoy the frozen tundra of Lambeau one last time.

( :cry: :cry: :cry: I just want to say that I love everyone on this blog right now, even TB. :cry: :cry: )

Tyrone Bigguns
07-24-2008, 07:45 PM
'Since Bush came into office, federal spending is up 24 percent,' says Drew Johnson, policy analyst at National Taxpayers Union. 'I always thought that if the Republicans could control both houses of Congress and the presidency, taxes would fall, spending would fall, and the deficit would go down. So it's frustrating that once we finally got our way the Republicans stopped acting like Republicans.'

Freak Out
07-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Talk about a thread jack.... :jack:

Freezing level was a tad below 4000 feet today. Fuck.....

Kiwon
07-24-2008, 08:02 PM
'Since Bush came into office, federal spending is up 24 percent,' says Drew Johnson, policy analyst at National Taxpayers Union. 'I always thought that if the Republicans could control both houses of Congress and the presidency, taxes would fall, spending would fall, and the deficit would go down. So it's frustrating that once we finally got our way the Republicans stopped acting like Republicans.'

Nice catch, TB. They started acting like morally-bankrupt, unprincipled Lib Democrats and sold out their conservative base down the river.

What'cha think of John Edwards' love child story?

I hope he/she has his hair. Do you think Jesse Jackson gave him a few pointers in how to secretly transfer money from a non-profit into a personal account undetected? Jesse got caught. Edwards probably would too but there isn't anyone in the MSM that will investigate the story.

I wonder if they compared calendars if Johnny didn't hook up with the little mistress while his courageous wife was having her chemo treatments?

Wait, am I being too inquisitive? Liberals don't believe in judging and I wouldn't want to add stress to what must be a painful personal moment that if it happened to a Republican would be splashed over every newspaper and network newscast in the country.

Kiwon
07-24-2008, 08:04 PM
:jack: Jacked and rejacked :jack:

I got your back, homey. 8-)

Have a great summer in beautiful Alaska!

I envy you. It's hot and muggy here.

BallHawk
07-24-2008, 08:08 PM
No politics in a thread dealing with Alaska.

I believe FYI started with a political comment dealing with Alaska.

Freak Out
07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Uncle Teddy looks to be in a little trouble.....We knew this was coming, after all his years in Congress and all the influence he has had it was only a matter of time. Now if we can get his son Ben here in the State on corruption charges....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/29/AR2008072901416.html?hpid=topnews

Sen. Ted Stevens Indicted in Alaska Corruption Probe

By Carrie Johnson and Paul Kane
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, July 29, 2008; 2:28 PM

Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens (R) was charged with seven counts of making false statements on his financial disclosure forms in an indictment unsealed in federal court in the District this afternoon.

The indictment accuses Stevens, former chairman of the powerful Appropriations Committee, of concealing payments of more than $250,000 in goods and services he allegedly received from an oil company. The items include home improvements, autos and household items.

The Alaska oil firm, Veco, and its onetime leader Bill Allen, asked for help in return. Allen and another former Veco official pleaded guilty in May 2007 in connection with their role in the bribery of Alaskan public officials.

The indictment charges Stevens with violating the Ethics in Government Act between 2001 and 2006 by hiding payments from Allen, Veco and two other people. The law requires elected officials to disclose gifts and debts that exceed $10,000 during any point in the year.

Brendan Sullivan, a defense lawyer for Stevens, did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

Stevens, a senator since 1968, "knowingly and willfully engaged in a scheme to conceal a material fact" according to the 28-page indictment.

Items Stevens received include the creation of a new first floor, garage, and a wraparound deck on a Girdwood, Alaska property the lawmaker dubbed "the chalet," according to the court papers. He also received a professional Viking gas grill and a tool cabinet, prosecutors said.

In return, Allen and his company sought funding and help with international projects in Pakistan and Russia, as well as federal grant and contract requests, according to the charges. Veco officials also sought assistance to construct a natural gas pipeline on Alaska's north slope.

The news shook the Senate as members of the two parties were convening their weekly policy lunches. Republicans were at their political headquarters, the National Republican Senatorial Committee, and most Democrats declined to comment.

Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), Stevens' closest friend in the Senate, said he was "not surprised" by the indictment because the investigation has been going on so long, but said he still supports Stevens.

The Stevens case is part of a broad Justice Department investigation into corruption in Alaska that already has netted the two guilty pleas from Veco executives and two more from lobbyists in the state. Three former state representatives have been found guilty of corruption connected to Veco's efforts to win tax legislation in Juneau for its plan to build a natural gas pipeline in Alaska.

A state senator and a former representative are awaiting trial.

Stevens, 84, is a larger than life political figure in Alaska. The longest serving Republican in the history of the Senate, Stevens has used his perch as a senior member of the Appropriations Committee to funnel billions of dollars to his home state. He is locked in a tight re-election battle with Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich (D), who in recent polls had edged slightly ahead of Stevens.

Stevens is now the ranking member of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, with oversight of the telecommunications, fishing, airline and other industries.

Stevens and his son, former state senator Ben Stevens (R), have been figures in the Veco case since it became public on Aug. 31, 2006, when the FBI raided the offices of several Alaska legislators, including the younger Stevens. Last July agents from the FBI and Internal Revenue Service raided Ted Stevens' home.

The home remodeling, which took place in 2000, involved putting the senator's one-story, A-frame house on stilts and building a new ground floor, making it two stories.

Allen testified in court last year that his employees worked on an expansive reconstruction of Stevens' home. He said he personally oversaw the rebuilding of Stevens's house near Anchorage, visiting the home about once a month, and gave the senator furniture.

"I gave Ted some old furniture," Allen testified. "I don't think there was a lot of material. There was some labor."

Contractors previously told a federal grand jury that Veco executives supervised renovations at Stevens's house and that bills for the work went to Veco for Allen's approval. Allen had earlier pleaded guilty to bribing state lawmakers in Anchorage.

In a letter to a friend who is a former federal prosecutor, Stevens has said he paid more than $130,000 for the renovations, according to the Seattle Times, which reported on the document.

Stevens is among more than a dozen current and former members of Congress who have come under federal investigation in recent years because of their ties to lobbyists and corporate interests.

The Alaska investigation has centered on Allen's efforts to bribe lawmakers by handing out wads of hundred-dollar bills in an effort to win favorable tax legislation in Alaska for a natural gas pipeline long sought by the energy industry and leaders of both political parties there.

Veco has benefited from actions by the federal government. It has received more than $30 million in federal contracts since 2000, according to a search of the database of FedSpending.org, which tracks contracts given to private companies. The largest contracts were for logistical services provided to the National Science Foundation for work in Alaska.

In June 2007 Ted Stevens first publicly acknowledged he was the focus of the investigation, telling The Post that federal investigators had given him a document preservation request as part of the Veco probe. He added that "my son is also under investigation."

The inquiry has been run by the Justice Department's Public Integrity Section, overseeing a team of FBI agents and two assistant U.S. attorneys in Anchorage.

Freak Out
07-29-2008, 01:38 PM
No politics in a thread dealing with Alaska.

I believe FYI started with a political comment dealing with Alaska.

Sorry. :oops:

oregonpackfan
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
All the hot air coming from Ted Stevens denying he did anything wrong should warm up the weather a bit... 8-)

MJZiggy
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Well if you're not going to take my advice and come visit, then I don't know what to tell you, lol.

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 02:04 AM

and for the 2nd time today I agree with ty. Chemo for the republican party...go obama. If we are lucky the healthy cells...er congressman will survive.

Freak Out
08-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Thank you...!

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/487182.html

Legislature passes $1,200 resources rebate

By WESLEY LOY
wloy@adn.com

(08/07/08 21:47:08)

JUNEAU - Alaskans are about to be $1,200 richer. State legislators late Thursday passed a nearly $1 billion package of energy relief measures, including the hefty "resource rebate" for Alaska residents.

The action capped a long day of tense negotiations between House and Senate leaders to iron out differences in their respective versions of the legislation ahead of a midnight deadline, the scheduled end of the 30-day special session.

The final action came about three hours before the deadline in the House of Representatives, where members voted 35-3 to accept some changes the Senate had made.

Passage of the energy package was the Legislature's second major action of the special session. Earlier they approved an exclusive natural gas pipeline license for TransCanada Corp.

"I am just real pleased with the relief we've provided," said Rep. Mary Nelson, D-Bethel. "This is a big deal. This is a big night for Alaskans."

Gov. Sarah Palin is almost certain to sign the bill to pay Alaskans the $1,200 rebate.

It was Palin, after all, who last month proposed that lawmakers pay out a $1,200 resource rebate as a way for the state to share some of its multibillion-dollar oil revenue surplus with Alaska residents.

The governor also asked lawmakers to temporarily suspend the state's motor fuel tax, which is 8 cents on a gallon of gasoline. The suspension, which lawmakers passed, also covers taxes on diesel and marine and aviation fuel.

The resource rebate will be tacked onto Alaska Permanent Fund dividend checks going out this fall.

This year's dividend already was expected to be a big one - a record, in fact - at more than $2,000. With the rebate added on, the check likely will total more than $3,200.

What's more, Alaskans can expect to receive their dividends sooner than normal this year.

The current schedule has the first payments going out as direct deposits beginning Oct. 2 with paper checks going out over the ensuing weeks.

Now state officials are aiming to start dividends rolling perhaps in September as a way to get money into people's hands faster to buy heating fuel or take care of other needs, said Jerry Burnett, an official in the Department of Revenue.

The energy relief package also includes money to expand the state's Power Cost Equalization program, which provides electricity subsidies in rural areas where power costs are much higher than in the state's major city, Anchorage.

Contact Wes Loy at (907) 586-1531 or wloy@adn.com

oregonpackfan
08-08-2008, 01:09 AM
So to counter the cold weather, will Alaskans be taking that $1,200 and buying more wall insulation, a new winter coat, and special mukluks(sp?)? :)

Freak Out
08-08-2008, 01:16 AM
So to counter the cold weather, will Alaskans be taking that $1,200 and buying more wall insulation, a new winter coat, and special mukluks(sp?)? :)

Most will spend it on booze. Some will fly direct to Hawaii.

Freak Out
11-11-2008, 07:46 PM
People up here will use any excuse to go buy guns a ammo. I've never used an election as an excuse to go but a new gun but it's as good as any I guess.

http://www.adn.com/politics/story/585071.html

Armed and nervous in Alaska
Fears rise that Democrats will assault Second Amendment rights

By JAMES HALPIN
jhalpin@adn.com

(11/10/08 22:22:24)

On the neatly stacked ammunition shelves at the Alaska Shooters Supply is a sign: "There is no such thing as too much ammo."

But in recent days, there has been concern about too little.

Over the past week, ammunition has been selling by the pallet-load at the shop. Guns, particularly military-style weapons, are a hot ticket.

And high-capacity magazines were selling so well, the Boniface Parkway shop ran out the week of the Nov. 4 election.

That's no coincidence. Fear of stiffer gun laws after Barack Obama's successful presidential bid and a Congress with a larger Democratic edge is prompting gun enthusiasts across the country to stock up in record numbers.

"Obama is the best gun salesman we've had in the last 50 years," said Jack Murray, Alaska Shooters Supply owner. "We sold more guns (the day after the election) than I have on any one particular day in 21 years. I was crying all the way to the bank."

Through last week, his shop was pulling in between three and six times its daily sales average, Murray said. The store sold 18 rifles Wednesday, compared with five or six on a normal day. Semiautomatics, assault rifles, large magazines and military-caliber ammunition were flying off the shelves, he said.

"They're not buying by the box. They're buying by the case," Murray said.

The scene at Murray's store was repeating itself across Anchorage and the country. The rush appears to have started building before Election Day as Obama and his party looked to be headed for a big day at the ballot box.

SURGE IN BACKGROUND CHECKS

Through this Sept. 30, the FBI had conducted 8.47 million background checks on prospective gun owners, compared with 7.84 million through that date in 2007, according to data compiled for the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. That amounts to an 8 percent increase.

The trend intensified last month when, as an Obama win looked increasingly inevitable, there were more than 108,000 more background checks for gun purchases than in October 2007, a 15 percent increase.

"People are absolutely petrified of unilateral and silly increases in ammunition taxes. I've probably sold 70- or 80,000 rounds of ammunition over the past couple of days," Ken Feinman, manager of Wild West Guns off Homer Drive and East 71st Avenue, said Thursday. "I think there's an element of panic going on, and it's pretty much universal among all the shops here."

Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, also thinks the Democratic surge is a top reason guns are suddenly a hot commodity.

"I don't think he'll be able to stand up to that anti-Second Amendment wing of the Democratic Party that's just been spoiling for a chance to ban America's guns," LaPierre said of Obama.

Throughout his campaign, Obama voiced support for the right to bear arms and vowed to protect gun-ownership rights. However, he does favor "common sense" gun laws and has voted as a lawmaker to leave gun-makers and dealers open to lawsuits. As an Illinois state lawmaker, he supported a ban on all forms of semiautomatic weapons and tighter state restrictions on firearms in general.

It's not surprising, then, that the pro-gun control Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence endorsed Obama and called his win Tuesday "a major victory."

NRA TARGETS OBAMA

But Obama's record on guns also impassioned groups like the NRA, which waged a spirited, multimillion-dollar campaign portraying him as a threat to gun owners. In the days before the election, the association's political arm issued a "special election message" equating a vote for Obama to a vote against gun ownership.

"Barack Obama has such a long, openly anti-gun record that he cannot hide his true stance," the statement says. "Obama, with his career of supporting every gun control scheme he's ever encountered, represents a real threat to Second Amendment rights."

Gun advocates take some solace in the current makeup of the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled 5-4 this summer to strike down the District of Columbia's 32-year ban on handguns. For now, gun rights supporters hold a narrow edge on the court, but Obama could appoint justices who would swing it the other way.

Meanwhile, gun sales remained strong and steady at Anchorage shops like Wild West Guns, where sales Thursday were up 700 percent over the same time last year and 300 percent for the month overall, Feinman said. Based on talk in the aisles, there was no doubt the surge was in response to the election, he said.

The spike there also included weapons like semiautomatic military rifles -- those that were banned under Bill Clinton's administration -- which have historically been targeted by gun control proponents, he said.

Feinman's clients include people from all walks, he said -- doctors, lawyers and police officers. All of them are concerned Obama will take aim at gun ownership, he said.

"Obviously, there's a great deal of fear that the new administration, rather than concentrating on fighting crime, is going to pick on legitimate gun owners," Feinman said. "I think there's some legitimate concern on the part of the people. I just think they should take a deep breath and calm down a little bit and perhaps think of ways other than just buying."

Gunakor
11-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Why are assault rifles being sold to civilians in Alaska anyway? What reason would a civilian have to own an assault rifle in the first place? Handguns for self defense, okay. Rifles and shotguns for hunting, no big deal. Assault rifles? I'd think you could ban civilian ownership of assault rifles without infringing on the second amendment. There's no good reason why anyone other than military personnel would need to own one.

LL2
11-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Come visit. Warm up.

I've actually been alternating weekends in Alaska and the lower 48. I'll stay here one weekend and fish/hike or kayak and the next if the weather is nasty (which it has been all summer) I'll head to Oregon or Washington. I have been planning on making a trip to New Glarus via Chicago for a beer run but haven't done it yet.....and I need to make a visit to the DC area as well.

Well, maybe some Chicago rats could meet up for a game and beer?

swede
11-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Why are assault rifles being sold to civilians in Alaska anyway? What reason would a civilian have to own an assault rifle in the first place? Handguns for self defense, okay. Rifles and shotguns for hunting, no big deal. Assault rifles? I'd think you could ban civilian ownership of assault rifles without infringing on the second amendment. There's no good reason why anyone other than military personnel would need to own one.

They believe that someone may be coming to take the other ones away.

Iron Mike
11-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Come visit. Warm up.

Either that, or go get hammered in New Glarus and head back for hot dogs at The Weiners Circle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1LPf9mnyU)

Freak Out
11-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Come visit. Warm up.

Either that, or go get hammered in New Glarus and head back for hot dogs at The Weiners Circle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1LPf9mnyU)

Has the New Glarus apple ale been released yet?

Iron Mike
11-12-2008, 07:42 PM

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers.cfm?BeerID=18

I haven't seen it, but that doesn't mean it's not available yet.

Leinenkugel's used to make a seasonal "Apple Spice," but apparently this year they made a seasonal "Fireside Nut Brown Ale" that's pretty good.

http://www.leinie.com/fireside_nut_brown.html

Rumour has it that they didn't brew a whole lot of batches, tho. :(

Iron Mike
11-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Most will spend it on booze. Some will fly direct to Hawaii.

Mmmmmmmm....kalua pig.

http://photos.igougo.com/images/p332494-Hawaii_(Big_Island)_HI-Kalua_Pig.jpg

Freak Out
11-12-2008, 08:38 PM

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers.cfm?BeerID=18

I haven't seen it, but that doesn't mean it's not available yet.

Leinenkugel's used to make a seasonal "Apple Spice," but apparently this year they made a seasonal "Fireside Nut Brown Ale" that's pretty good.

http://www.leinie.com/fireside_nut_brown.html

Rumour has it that they didn't brew a whole lot of batches, tho. :(

That's the stuff Mike...I'm going to have to call my Gal at discount liquors and have her save me some. They also made a Berliner Weiss unplugged that was outstanding if you like the sour/tart style.

Alaskan just released a rare bottled version of their Baltic Porter......just outstanding!

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/artman/publish/article_205.shtml

:glug:

bobblehead
11-12-2008, 10:25 PM

what was the actual purpose of the second amendment again?

Gunakor
11-13-2008, 02:37 PM

Giving citizens (or militias, depending on your interpretation) the ability to defend themselves and protect this country from tyrrany.

Like I said, I'm all for the ability to own a gun. I think citizens should have the right to arm themselves. It's the type of gun they are arming themselves with that I have a problem with.

What is the actual purpose or intent of the citizen buying military grade weapons and ammunition?

HowardRoark
11-13-2008, 02:49 PM

Giving citizens (or militias, depending on your interpretation) the ability to defend themselves and protect this country from tyrrany.

Like I said, I'm all for the ability to own a gun. I think citizens should have the right to arm themselves. It's the type of gun they are arming themselves with that I have a problem with.

What is the actual purpose or intent of the citizen buying military grade weapons and ammunition?

...... to defend themselves and protect this country from tyrrany.

Gunakor
11-13-2008, 03:00 PM

Great. Tell them to enlist then. Our military could use the help. My problem is with CITIZENS owning military grade weapons. Unnecessary.

Protect themselves from tyrrany? Don't we have police that do that? National Guard if they can't handle it? People don't need to own those types of weapons and keep them in their houses. That's my point.

Freak Out
11-13-2008, 05:25 PM

Great. Tell them to enlist then. Our military could use the help. My problem is with CITIZENS owning military grade weapons. Unnecessary.

Protect themselves from tyrrany? Don't we have police that do that? National Guard if they can't handle it? People don't need to own those types of weapons and keep them in their houses. That's my point.

If we ever need to overthrow the government through force of arms we will need the good shit.

HowardRoark
11-13-2008, 05:49 PM

You actually made the point, but not the one you thought you did.

Freak Out
05-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Should there be criminal charges filed? Leaving a loaded gun lying around for a three year old to pick up? Criminal.

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/14/1278088/3-year-old-killed-from-self-inflicted.html

Freak Out
06-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Future dinner. :)

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/28/1299009/mama-moose-gives-birth-in-the.html#id=1298993&view=large_view

Freak Out
09-21-2010, 09:15 PM
It's that time of year again.

http://www.adn.com/2010/09/21/1464875/permanent-fund-dividend-is-1281.html

3irty1
09-21-2010, 09:21 PM
To the liquor store?

I should dropped you a PM while I was up this summer. Could have hooked you up with enough salmon to get you through the winter.

Freak Out
09-21-2010, 11:18 PM
To the liquor store?

I should dropped you a PM while I was up this summer. Could have hooked you up with enough salmon to get you through the winter.

I have a freezer full but thank you anyway. I love to smoke and will always do as much as possible given the opportunity. I could eat salmon everyday really.

You coming next summer?

3irty1
09-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Most likely.

Freak Out
10-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Happy Alaska day!

How times have changed.

http://newsminer.com/bookmark/9951430-Alaska-Day-Holiday-reminds-us-of-our-history-and-our-future

Freak Out
11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
I just love being cold.... -25 to -45 wind chills. My nipples are hard.

Joemailman
11-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Close up the Beer Garden yet?

Freak Out
11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Close up the Beer Garden yet?

Never!