PDA

View Full Version : Brady Poppinga Given Contract Extension

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
No details yet on the terms, but Brady Pop has apparently signed an extension with the team today.

boiga
07-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Good for him. I always liked Brady on the team and was somewhat worried that he would be pushed out when we bargain hunted Chillar from the rams. He was a beast against the run last year, and while having issues in coverage has shown consistent improvement over the years.

Besides, the guy's hilarious in interviews.

mmmdk
07-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Poppin' Champagne here in Europe. Poppinga is a Packer I like :pack:

boiga
07-24-2008, 01:48 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Poppinga gets a four-year contract extension
The contract extension for linebacker Brady Poppinga runs through the 2012 season, his agent Michael Hoffman said.

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson announced the deal at the annual shareholders meeting this morning.

"It was just finalized today," Hoffman said. "We finished it over the weekend, and Brady signed it today."

Hoffman wouldn't disclose the terms of the deal but said "it compares favorably to what other top linebackers received in the 2008 free agent market."

Poppinga was scheduled to earn $9270,000 in 2008, the final year of his original four-year rookie contract. The Packers signed free-agent linebacker Brandon Chillar this offseason, right about the time the Packers began contract talks with Poppinga.

"We’ve been working on this since March or April," Hoffman said. "That’s when they initiated discussions, and we were thrilled that we could finalize it before camp."

Poppinga is expected to compete with Chillar for the starting job at strong-side linebacker.

"In all honestly, he was happy that they signed Chillar," Hoffman said. "He’s excited about his future. I don't think he ever questioned his role at all. Brady's a competitor, and it shows a great commitment from the organization. But Brady knows he's still got to go out there and play."

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

prsnfoto
07-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Wow if he was due to make $9270,000 this year he must have got a 4 year 60 million dollar deal. :D :D :shock:

RashanGary
07-24-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm guessing it's a base deal at 5 years, 17 million with 4 million coming in the first year either as bonuses or first year salary. I'd guess there is an additional 5 million in incentives.

Just guessing.

packers11
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Poppinga deal worth around $17 million for five years

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/24/poppinga-deal-worth-around-17-million-for-five-years.aspx

packers11
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
That seems like a bit to much for him... :?

Pacopete4
07-24-2008, 03:36 PM
a lot of money for a guy that cant cover a TE

The Leaper
07-24-2008, 03:40 PM
His deal was roughly similar to these other two LBs:

Bailey (58 games) - 265 tackles (4.57), 7 sacks, 2 INT, 11 pass def
Mitchell (75 games) - 378 tackles (5.04), 8 sacks, 4 INTs, 18 pass def
Poppinga (44 games) - 138 tackles (3.14), 3 sacks, 2 INT, 6 pass def

Honestly, I don't consider Pop in the class of either Bailey or Mitchell. Pop is a one trick pony...run defense. He can't play in coverage, and he isn't overly effective rushing the passer.

Bailey averages almost 1.5 more tackles per game and Mitchell almost 2 more tackles per game.

Pop is not worth more than $3M a year.

swede
07-24-2008, 03:44 PM
I'd be ticked if it's that much money.

The whole idea of managing a football team in the cap era is to spend way less money than everyone else on the average and above average players. Only the premium players should be eating up cap space.

That's why you have to let good guys go once in a while when some other team wants to pay them huge money. Carolina, Dallas, and Houston have done that favor for us in the past.

I'm happy Poppy is still with us, but I'd just hate to find out he's making more coin than the league average at his position.

Lurker64
07-24-2008, 03:51 PM
I think this will depend on where Poppinga's ceiling is. He's steadily improved every year in the league so far; last year his run fills were outstanding and his pass coverage was adequate, better than the previous year on both counts. If he continues to improve and has a high ceiling, then this might be a deal . If he doesn't continue to improve or he has a low ceiling, you can always cut him.

I mean, after all, we did sign Kampman to his first extension when the consensus on him was that he was a "try hard guy with limited ability and potential." It's probable that the Green Bay Packers know things about Poppinga that we do not.

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
His deal was roughly similar to these other two LBs:

Bailey (58 games) - 265 tackles (4.57), 7 sacks, 2 INT, 11 pass def
Mitchell (75 games) - 378 tackles (5.04), 8 sacks, 4 INTs, 18 pass def
Poppinga (44 games) - 138 tackles (3.14), 3 sacks, 2 INT, 6 pass def

Honestly, I don't consider Pop in the class of either Bailey or Mitchell. Pop is a one trick pony...run defense. He can't play in coverage, and he isn't overly effective rushing the passer.

Bailey averages almost 1.5 more tackles per game and Mitchell almost 2 more tackles per game.

Pop is not worth more than $3M a year.

You can't really compare stats. Bailey has been on the field more than Poppinga. Poppinga didn't start as a rookie and rarely plays on 3rd down. Of course, he won't have as many tackles or passes defensed. Bailey has been a huge disappointment. I don't consider Bailey much better than Poppinga. I do consider Mitchell a better player.

packers11
07-24-2008, 04:20 PM
they should have done Grant's contract before Brady's... Grant NEEDS to be in training camp :!:

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2008, 04:22 PM
they should have done Grant's contract before Brady's... Grant NEEDS to be in training camp :!:

It's not a choice that the Packers are making. They were in negotiations with both guys. Maybe Poppinga was easier to sign.

boiga
07-24-2008, 04:47 PM
It's not a choice that the Packers are making. They were in negotiations with both guys. Maybe Poppinga was easier to sign.It's also that Brady's contract is comparable to other free agent LB's of similar skill/experience on the market.

There are no comparisons to Grant's case because he is a 25 year old 2nd year player with 3 years of experience in NFL. If Grant doesn't get paid now, his next chance for an offer will be when he turns 28, an age at which most RB's are already declining from wear and tear. But, Grant can't shop himself around like Poppinga can because the packers own him.

With Poppinga, we knew what fair market value was. With Grant, there is no market so the bargaining starting positions become much more complicated.

CaliforniaCheez
07-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Brady has some job security and doesn't have to go elsewhere and prove himself.

He has a better chance of starting in Green Bay and playing with a winner.

Just staying has some value.

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 07:30 PM
This is OK I guess; he's a decent third best LB and a good guy as a teammate

bobblehead
07-24-2008, 07:36 PM
I'd be ticked if it's that much money.

The whole idea of managing a football team in the cap era is to spend way less money than everyone else on the average and above average players. Only the premium players should be eating up cap space.

That's why you have to let good guys go once in a while when some other team wants to pay them huge money. Carolina, Dallas, and Houston have done that favor for us in the past.

I'm happy Poppy is still with us, but I'd just hate to find out he's making more coin than the league average at his position.

I think you are underestimating keeping guys in a system they have learned. I also think poppinga has been very underrated by packer fans cuz he does dirty work and was owned in pass sets his first full season.

He is an absolute beast against FB's and G's and is getting much better in coverage. He is a high energy guy who sets a great example of how to go about being a pro. I think this is about the max deal he could expect, but I think his attitude and hustle got it for him. He deserves it.

edit: this also backs up what I said about the chillar signing...we got a good player at a bargain price, don't read anything into poppinga based on chillar.

The Leaper
07-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Maybe Poppinga was easier to sign.

Considering they overpaid for him, it must have been quite a bit easier.

The Leaper
07-24-2008, 08:39 PM
He is an absolute beast against FB's and G's and is getting much better in coverage. He is a high energy guy who sets a great example of how to go about being a pro. I think this is about the max deal he could expect, but I think his attitude and hustle got it for him. He deserves it.

Better in coverage? He only seemed to do better because the Packers had to remove him from coverage entirely...so at least you didn't have to watch some mediocre tight end burn his ass multiple times a game.

Pop is a great LB against the run, but he is a situational LB. He doesn't deserve to be paid a comparable amount to an every down LB like Mitchell.

Joemailman
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I think the Packers are going to mix things up and utilize all 4 LB's quite a bit. I think Popp will actually be a OLB/DE. If he can be an effective pass rusher, he'll be worth the money.

pbmax
07-24-2008, 09:30 PM
JSO had his talent for special teams as a reason they are paying him starting money even though his replacement might be on the roster.

I would debate to the death the idea of spending this kind of money on a special teams player, except I remember how bad they were from 2001 or so on. At least for this contract, I'll give Thompson a pass.

Beside WR, special teams are the clearest indication of Thompson's hand in improving the talent of the team.

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I think the Packers are going to mix things up .

Did we switch DC's ??

boiga
07-24-2008, 09:53 PM

Did we switch DC's ??No, but reporters did mention that there were occasions during OTC's that all four LB's were on the field at the same time while upping the blitz pressure.

It would certainly be entertaining, right?

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Did we switch DC's ??No, but reporters did mention that there were occasions during OTC's that all four LB's were on the field at the same time while upping the blitz pressure.

Yes, I'm all for it

I was just making a crack referring to my lack of faith in Bob Sanders at designing effective blitz schemes. Along with Schottenheimer, he's the other coach I've never been much of a fan of.

pbmax
07-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Bretsky, I think you are channeling wist :lol:

Yes, I'm all for it

I was just making a crack referring to my lack of faith in Bob Sanders at designing effective blitz schemes. Along with Schottenheimer, he's the other coach I've never been much of a fan of.

bobblehead
07-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Better in coverage? He only seemed to do better because the Packers had to remove him from coverage entirely...so at least you didn't have to watch some mediocre tight end burn his ass multiple times a game.

Pop is a great LB against the run, but he is a situational LB. He doesn't deserve to be paid a comparable amount to an every down LB like Mitchell.

I think they removed him from coverage his first year too, but he got burned on early downs. Doesn't the sam always sit on passing downs in our defense?? Was that new last year?

mission
07-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Im in the "meh" category on this one.

All I can hope for, is like Lurker said, that the Packers have seen enough improvement in the offseason that we *are* getting a bargain now based on what they expect from him coming up. Negotiations going so they're limiting the amount of public praise in his direction to avoid inflating the price ...

meh.

I dunno, Ive never thought too much of him but when he de-cleated that dude last year in sticking up for hawk i was thinkin "ok, maybe i like brady, he's a badass... " so we'll see where it goes.

if anything, it shows guys on the team that hard work gets paid.

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 07:53 AM
I think it will be very difficult to say we earned a "bargain" on this deal. If Poppinga continues to improve in the next 2 years and becomes at least functional in either coverage or pass rushing, then I think you can say the deal was a fair one.

I'm NOT a fan of overpaying guys for special teams work though...and Thompson has now done it twice with LBs. Once guys get paid, they often are a little less likely to throw their bodies around with reckless abandon. Thompson previously improved special teams by drafting a bunch of hungry for playing time rookies and tossing them in there.

Thompson was a former "special teamer" LB...he seems to have a little too much of a soft spot there IMO.

Fritz
07-25-2008, 08:46 AM
It's okay. Looks like the Pack has five guys now - Popp, Chill, Hawk, Barnett, Bishop.

Partial
07-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Overpaid. Another blunder by the Turtle.