PDA

View Full Version : Biggest reason for optimism? Biggest worry?

RashanGary
07-24-2008, 08:44 PM
My biggest reason for optimism is the slew of 23-26 year old players that are in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th years where improvement is most likely. More than likely there will be a handfull of very pleasant suprises from guys like Wynn, Jackson, James Jones, Aaron Rouse, Aaron Rodgers, Jolly, Hawk, Harrell, Korey Hall, Atari Bigby, Tramon Williams and many of the other young guys.

My biggest worry is the Dline. Harrell's injuries from college to his first year in the NFL are a concern. Jollys possible drug problem is a concern. More than anything, our only young, promising guys in their 2nd and 3rd years have issues that make you worry. Considering improvement from within chances are down and we didn't bring anyone in, I just don't have a lot of optimism for steps forward. We lost Corey Williams and the rest of the line is more likely to be less productive than more productive because they're at ages where improvement is unlikely. I just don't see a lot of upside unless Harrell and/or Jolly suprise the shit out of us. Maybe Muir, one of the long shots or the rookie step up, but I don't think that's the most likely sinerio either.

MJZiggy
07-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Biggest optimism: Receivers

Biggest worry: Long snapper. (Just wait, people, you've been spoiled for years.)

Joemailman
07-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Optimism: Defense. The relatively big contracts given to Chillar and Poppinga suggest McCarthy is serious about mixing things up on defense, particularly using the LB's more to pressure the QB.

Concern: The offensive line has to be more consistent in their run blocking. If the running game struggles, it's doubtful that Arod can carry the offense on his shoulders the way Favre did at times last year.

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Optimism-
RB,
WR's

Concern

DL Pass Rush
QB play and durability

RashanGary
07-24-2008, 08:58 PM
As a possible suprise positive, I think we could see no drop off at QB and that could shock a lot of Packer fans who worship Brett Favre and think he's irreplacable.

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
As a possible suprise positive, I think we could see no drop off at QB and that could shock a lot of Packer fans who worship Brett Favre and think he's irreplacable.

Or he could suck, get hurt, and we'd appreciate what we had more and hope Brian Brohm is good

GBRulz
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Biggest Optimism: Ryan Grant and our running game.

Concern: Aging CB's, especially Harris.

MJZiggy
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
You're such an optimist, B!! Glass half full, baby!!!

GBRulz
07-24-2008, 09:03 PM
As a possible suprise positive, I think we could see no drop off at QB

Why? Is Favre coming back? :lol: :P

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 09:07 PM
You're such an optimist, B!! Glass half full, baby!!!

I didn't predict that; just provided a homerism alternative

Glass half full would say he can be somewhat comparable so there would only be a slight dropoff.

Of course

that's assuming he be Aaron Durable Rodgers instead of Erin Jessica Rodgers :lol:

RashanGary
07-24-2008, 09:08 PM
As a possible suprise positive, I think we could see no drop off at QB

Why? Is Favre coming back? :lol: :P

If you were my wife I'd slap you for that ;)

And I know you're scared.

MJZiggy
07-24-2008, 09:10 PM
She'd knock you on your ass in a heartbeat, JH.

Rastak
07-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Reminds me of the Bugs Bunny routine...."did you stop beating your wife"....

well I....umm I never......

but in this case more like a curt denial.....

RashanGary
07-24-2008, 09:12 PM

I'm one of the toughest woman beaters ever, I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Packerarcher
07-24-2008, 09:21 PM

You are a fucking idiot,if you had actually been a Packer fan for more than a few years you would understand how idiotic your Favre bashing is.

Optimism- It's the Packers,if I remained a diehard fan in the 70's&80's I am sure I will live through this season.

Concern- No Brett Favre,there is no way that Rodgers is going to come in in his FIRST season and not have any drop off. Rodgers also seems very frail,but compared to the Ironman QB Favre most would. I still say Rodgers gets hurt before the midway point of the season.

Concern-TT's ego to do the "right" thing for the team. I thinks this may just be the right thing for TT and not the team. Who knows what other vetran players TT will deem undeserving to play in Green Bay. Not that TT is known for going after big name free agents,but TT's ego will keep them away should he go after any in the future.

Concern-The Packers pass rush or lack there of.

Concern-The Packers dragging ass putting together a deal for Grant. Sure he can't sign with anyone else but show the guy a little respect. This just REEKS of TT,he shows players except his unproven pet(Rodgers)no respect.

GBRulz
07-24-2008, 09:24 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/League_of_Cantankerous_Misanthropes/InternetToughGuy.jpg

dissident94
07-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Anyone with any football knowledge at all would have to put QB as the main concern.

ANyone who doens't understand that really hasn't followed this game that much or have just been blinded by good QB play for the last 2 decades.

Countless guys have been drafted in the first round. Most have failed.
Rodgers could be the next bradshaw but more than likely will be an Akili Smith.
Thats why I was very pleased we drafted 2 qbs

pbmax
07-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Optimism? Offensive line. Its year three in developing our guards and odds are in this year someone will finally step forward. It took Rivera and Wahle three years, hopefully we see that jump this year.

Pessimism? Defensive line. Jolly's drinking Purple Drank. Williams is gone, Harrell is injured. They may not be as good this year, nor as deep. And I don't see the pass rush improving. I fear 3rd down yet again.

pbmax
07-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Favre was the next Bradshaw. I am hoping Aaron Rodgers is the next Ken O'Brien.

Anyone with any football knowledge at all would have to put QB as the main concern.

ANyone who doens't understand that really hasn't followed this game that much or have just been blinded by good QB play for the last 2 decades.

Bretsky
07-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Favre was the next Bradshaw. I am hoping Aaron Rodgers is the next Ken O'Brien.

Ken O'brien ? Maybe my memory is bad, but he stands out to me as never being too good

boiga
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Pessimism? Defensive line. Jolly's drinking Purple Drank. Williams is gone, Harrell is injured. They may not be as good this year, nor as deep. And I don't see the pass rush improving. I fear 3rd down yet again.While I concur with your concerns regarding the DL, I think they have something cooked up for 3rd downs. They practiced a lot of LB blitz packages during the OTC's and considering Poppinga's new contract, I think we should expect a lot more of our pressure to come outside the defensive line.

Optimism: the passing game. Our number of weapons just seems to keep growing. If we can keep up our downfield blocking and YAC, guys like Lee, Humphrey, and Jones are going to be monster performers this year.

The Shadow
07-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Optimism : youngest team in the NFL just one bad pass away from the Super Bowl, masterful salary cap management, continuing influx of talent, a tough administration willing to make the tough calls.

Concern : Al Harris.

packers11
07-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Optimism : Youngest team in NFL, emerging NFL studs.

Concern : Bob Sanders - Can you get a bit more creative ???
Kurt Schottenheimer - Why are you still here ???

Zool
07-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Optimism: hell im a sports fan, im optimistic every year about everything

Concern: D-Tackles and O-guard situation. Harrell is out for an unknown timeframe. Not even sure if/when Jolly will be allowed to report, though it seems like he hasnt been detained.

Its always the lines that scare me. 2 weeks from now we'll all probably have different opinions.

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Concerned: DT, Rodgers durability
Optimistic: Everything else

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Optimistic: Rodgers, LBs, Emerging secondary players, Ruvell Martin

Concern: Harrell, Nick Collins, aging CBs (Harris)

Partial
07-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Optimistic - McCarthy is a good coach, Chad Clifton and Chuck Woodson are lights out

Concerns - Offense cannot score without Favre, everything else.

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 01:07 AM

Your NOT serious?

3irty1
07-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Optimistic
Offense should still be best in division by a long shot.

Concern
Age and depth at CB
Injury, shitiness, and dumbassness at DT
Long Snapper who sucks way more than Rob Davis

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Hope: more experienced roster top to bottom, greater depth

Concern: first time starter at QB, lack of consistent pass rush

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 08:02 AM

Again...I've got $50 that says Rodgers won't come close to Favre's 2007 numbers. Put up or shut up.

Fritz
07-25-2008, 08:57 AM

I'm one of the toughest woman beaters ever, I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Okay, I'm going to take this as you joking, cuz no way could anyone be proud of that.

My concerns? the defense, man. Aging corners, possibly weak d-line.

Optimism? I think the o-line will be good and the running game better too.

Bretsky
07-26-2008, 10:40 PM
A new biggest worry has to be Justin Harrell

Word from MM is that Harrell is still not ready due to injuries and is classified as week to week

I have not seen a huge upside, but he needs to at least be a healthy plugger and an average DL with Williams gone