PDA

View Full Version : ""GRANT NEGOTIATIONS AT A STANDSTILL ""

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 07:50 AM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/default.aspx

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 07:52 AM
"We're no closer to a deal than when I made the initial phone call," Herman said. "For the first time, they called me last Friday and I thought we would get started. We're more than willing to compromise. We want to do something fair for Ryan.

"At this point, we're not negotiating. Every time I've offered to come out there they've put me off. Ryan is very disappointed. His position is if that's the way it's going to be, he's not coming. That's where we are."

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm not overly worried with Grant being in camp day one. He is in a different boat than the rookies. As long as he can be in camp in time for 2 preseason games, he'll be OK.

I'm guessing Thompson has a few other things on the burner right now...namely rookie deals and the Favre situation. I'm guessing Grant's deal will see more forward motion next week.

SkinBasket
07-25-2008, 08:49 AM
I still don't like these guys who have no actual leverage being bitches about coming into camp. Of course the last 5 years in particular have seen the squeaky wheel get the grease in this league, so why not?

Fritz
07-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Well, he's just trying to get what he can while he can. A RB's lifespan is damn short.

I think he'll miss a week or so and then get signed. Proof of that? Uhh...umm...

Zool
07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
I dont think I would sign the $400k tender either and risk getting hurt. It would be nice to be in on the negotiations that happened and see how far apart they are in actual dollars.

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 09:58 AM
I still don't like these guys who have no actual leverage being bitches about coming into camp.

The guy doesn't have a deal...risking injury without one would be stupid on Grant's part. He participated in OTAs even without a contract. Signing some podunk $400k deal would give him ZERO leverage...he has plenty right now as the only proven RB on the Packer roster.

IMO, Green Bay is the one dragging their feet here. Grant has done everything he should at this point, and he's been all class. He's a needed component for this team goig forward...ESPECIALLY with Thompson's decision to not make Favre part of those plans.

Get the guy signed Thompson. If you can pay out lavishly for Poppinga, then you can fork a few bucks over to Grant.

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Ted can (maybe) only do one thing at a time.

He's such a great GM.

boiga
07-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I agree that Grant has been all class, but I'm not sure about his agent. This seems more like a bargaining ploy than anything. It's only been one week since the Packers last communicated him and he starts whining to the media complaining about "no progress." This has been a tough week for the management, so I can understand why they are postponing Grant's deal while working through the draft picks. It's not like Ryan has anywhere else to go.

I agree that Grant should get paid, but he needs us as much as we need him.

SkinBasket
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
He's such a great GM.

Glad to see you finally realized very few GMs could take a team from 4-12, no depth, and cutting players to get under the cap to 13-3 with depth and youth all for 20 some odd million under the cap in two years.

Maybe you're not such a fool after all.

Zool
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
In all honesty, we have no idea what Grant and his agent are asking for. If they are looking for 5/$35 with $16mil guaranteed over the first 2 seasons, that seems way too high. None of us actually know whats happening. Maybe Tedly is only offering 5/$15. That seems low, but I'm just making a point.

SkinBasket
07-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm just making a point.

That you're a total queerboat?

Zool
07-25-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm just making a point.

That you're a total queerboat?

Well I was going to go on a 60 minute diatribe about my dishwasher and how the repair man touched my no-no spots, but this seemed more relevant.

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 10:21 AM
This seems more like a bargaining ploy than anything.

That is the whole point of an agent.

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 10:24 AM
He's such a great GM.

Glad to see you finally realized very few GMs could take a team from 4-12, no depth, and cutting players to get under the cap to 13-3 with depth and youth all for 20 some odd million under the cap in two years.

Check all that out in 2008 Packer fan. At season's end.Then come back to me. :D

SkinBasket
07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
He's such a great GM.

Check all that out in 2008 Packer fan. At season's end.Then come back to me. :D

Check what out dummy? You going to lend me your time machine so I can gain the same valuable insight you've been sharing with us about our doomed future? Or are you going to just be embarrassingly wrong again like you were last preseason?

Packerarcher
07-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Read the whol article below,I called this one a few days ago. Sounds like more of the TT EGO MACHINE. Just as I said in my post the other day that I would bet anything he was lying through his teeth about "working on the Grant deal". TT is a fucking snake and is a CANCER to the team.

Green Bay -- What Ryan Grant's agent thought was a promising beginning to negotiations has become nothing more than a false start and the chances of the Green Bay Packers running back being in uniform for the start of training camp don't look good.

Allen Herman said he has not heard from the Packers since Tuesday and has given up calling them in an attempt to get a long-term deal done for Grant, whose contract expired at the end of last season.

"I've done everything I can to be cooperative," Herman said late Thursday night. "But if you've not had any dialogue there's nothing you can do. Can things change tomorrow or Saturday? Yes. But I have no reason to call them. I've called them so many times."

Grant, whose only options as an exclusive rights free agent are to sign with the Packers or hold out, has made it clear he will not report to camp Sunday if he does not have a new deal. The starting running back attended all of the team's off-season workouts, but he did not take part in the on-field activities because he wasn't under contract.

The Packers have made Grant a required one-year, $370,000 tender offer, but Herman said under no circumstances will he sign it. He said Grant would have taken part in off-season workouts had the Packers agreed to sign him to an injury protection deal, but they would not.

At the Packers' shareholders meeting Thursday, general manager Ted Thompson said the club was trying to sign Grant to a long-term deal, but he did not comment any further.

Herman maintains that Grant is willing to accept a deal that would largely be performance-based and would require him to hit statistical benchmarks in order to get the full value of the contract. He has conceded that Grant has only had one season as a starter, but he maintains the fact that he's entering his fourth year takes some of the risk out of the equation.

Grant spent his first two seasons with the New York Giants, the first as a member of their practice squad and the second on the non-football injury list after slicing up his hand in an off-field accident. After joining the Packers via a trade last year, Grant rushed for 956 yards and eight touchdowns and was the NFL's second leading-rusher over the last eight games.

"We're no closer to a deal than when I made the initial phone call," Herman said. "For the first time, they called me last Friday and I thought we would get started. We're more than willing to compromise. We want to do something fair for Ryan.

"At this point, we're not negotiating. Every time I've offered to come out there or to have (negotiator) Russ (Ball) come out to New York to talk, they've put me off. Ryan is very disappointed. His position is if that's the way it's going to be, he's not coming. That's where we are."

Asked if Grant was prepared to hold out as long as it takes to get what he wants, Herman said: "He's a very, strong-willed guy. He's very intelligent. He understands the nature of what's going on here."

boiga
07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Allen Herman said he has not heard from the Packers since Tuesday So, you're pissing your self over 3 DAYS of no communication? During which time Ted's been working on the Favre trade, inking rookies, and the shareholder meeting? Herman's pissing in the wind with this complaint to the press.

They talked on tuesday, so how could you say Ted's statement on thursday that they're working on the contract is a lie?

Partial
07-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Way to go TT. Talk about a miserable off-season. He is showing that he is incompetent.[/quote]

Fosco33
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
What is Grant really worth after a half-season of success (and one 'great' playoff game where 2 early fumbles almost ended the season - and a 23 carry, 29 yr game vs. the Giants)?

Can he handle the punishment for an entire year?

Do the Packers have more faith in Jackson that we're able to see?

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2008, 01:15 PM
What is Grant really worth after a half-season of success (and one 'great' playoff game where 2 early fumbles almost ended the season - and a 13 carry, 29 yr game vs. the Giants)?

Fixed.

mmmdk
07-25-2008, 01:17 PM
How much is Grant demanding? Can't find anything about demands/Packers counter offer...it's probably not public but in case I missed it!?

Lurker64
07-25-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't think we've any indication from either side about what sort of years or dollars anybody here is looking for. This whole set of negotiations has been shrouded in mystery.

digitaldean
07-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Packers' Ryan Grant optimistic about new contract

Sporting News - Print this article PRINT
Sporting News - RSS Feed
Posted: July 25, 2008
Dennis Dillon
Sporting News

After several months of no movement in contract negotiations, the representative for Green Bay Packers running back Ryan Grant is cautiously optimistic that a new contract could be hammered out within the next day, paving the way for Grant to report for the start of training camp Sunday.

Alan Herman, Grant's agent, received a phone call midday Friday from Packers vice president of football administration Russ Ball, who told Herman the team has called the NFL for clarification on Herman's contract proposal and how it could affect Green Bay's salary cap in 2008 and future years.

Herman declined to reveal exactly what he is asking for, saying it was a performance-based contract proposal that would trigger various monies if Grant met specific performance standards. Grant was paid $310,000 in 2007—"probably the greatest bargain in the history of football," Herman said.

An obscure running back who did not play a down in his first two NFL seasons with the New York Giants, Grant authored an improbable story last season after being traded to Green Bay on Sept. 1 for a sixth-round pick in the '08 draft. He became a starter in Week 9 (the Packers' eighth game) and rushed for 956 yards and eight touchdowns on the season. He added 230 yards on 40 carries in two playoff games, establishing Packers postseason rushing records for yards (201) and touchdowns (three) in a divisional-round win over Seattle.

boiga
07-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Herman's as bad as Bus with all of this press manipulation. Does he really have to complain/gloat to the media every time that there is an inch of movement?

Still, it's good to know that a deal is getting done. Thanks for the update digitaldean.

SkinBasket
07-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Way to go TT. Talk about a miserable off-season. He is showing that he is incompetent.

I think I'll judge TT by the way the season goes, not by how the preseason goes. It's kind of hard to forget all the hysteria, hatred, and anguish put into last preseason by many posters here bemoaning the doom Ted had brought upon us. In a lot of respects, it's deja vu all over again.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3589/horde9lpthuk6.jpg