PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! Favre'll show up for camp!

boiga
07-25-2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/25/favre-will-show-up-for-camp/

Lurker64
07-25-2008, 10:33 AM
I'll believe it when I see it, to be honest.

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Being reported on NFLN right now based on a phone call Brett had with Ted yesterday.

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM
WTF is going on?

I thought we had moved on. I thought we just had a shareholders meeting and there was a united front.

You can't just bring Favre to camp at this point and have any credibility left if you are the Packers IMO.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 10:49 AM
It shows to other teams, Favre is committed.

Speedens up the process for a trade.

Lurker64
07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I think you can definitely bring Favre in if he shows up on your terms, that is to say "he's not guaranteed the starting job, he knows this, and he accepts this."

Training camp will be interesting, particularly if Favre is not traded and Aaron legitimately beats out Brett during the preseason.

SkinBasket
07-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Maybe they could alternate series during the season. Or maybe we can devise a package where both are on the field at the same time.

Lurker64
07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Maybe they could alternate series during the season. Or maybe we can devise a package where both are on the field at the same time.

Well, Favre has been long praised for his blocking...

sepporepi
07-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Let him pick up 30 pounds and make him a fullback :lol: .

He can throw a few option passes each game :lol:

sheepshead
07-25-2008, 11:00 AM

Well, Favre has been long praised for his blocking...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

digitaldean
07-25-2008, 11:01 AM
http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/

JSO reporting Favre's official website has removed any reference of the Packers (except for links to news reports).

Sure looks like a deal will be done relatively soon.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 11:03 AM
profootballweekly

The way we hear it, the Bucs are serious about preparing a deal to acquire QB Brett Favre. Sources say Tampa Bay’s offer to the Packers for Favre is likely to include a second-round pick, one more draft choice or perhaps a player, as well. Bucs GM Bruce Allen would like to get something done sooner rather than later, perhaps within the next few days to avoided letting the distracting rumors linger and also to give Favre as much time as possible to learn the offense.

RashanGary
07-25-2008, 11:04 AM
I really don't want him back. I hope this is not true.

pbmax
07-25-2008, 11:05 AM
He's being brought to camp, or at least its being leaked, so they can drive a better deal with the team(s) Favre wishes to go to.

Favre said he didn't want to be a backup. T2 said the role, if reinstated, would need to be determined. For a week or three we will see M3 dance around the depth chart questions and everyone counting the number of throws with the first team.

Then he will get dealt. Can't believe Thompson has the stones for this, I am surprised, pleasantly so. Also surprised and impressed Favre, at least for the leak, is willing to either ignore or go along with the non-starter role.

The only person who is going to suffer is McCarthy whose press conferences will make Watergate look like its just a hotel. If he actually arrives.

RashanGary
07-25-2008, 11:05 AM
profootballweekly

The way we hear it, the Bucs are serious about preparing a deal to acquire QB Brett Favre. Sources say Tampa Bay’s offer to the Packers for Favre is likely to include a second-round pick, one more draft choice or perhaps a player, as well. Bucs GM Bruce Allen would like to get something done sooner rather than later, perhaps within the next few days to avoided letting the distracting rumors linger and also to give Favre as much time as possible to learn the offense.

This would make my week.

sheepshead
07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
from earlier this morning:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/25/sp-bucs-lead-in-favre-stakes/?sports-bucs

pbmax
07-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Chevelle, was that a new item or from their last publication date? just curious since they only print once per week. Good news if true, a second would be a good pickup.

profootballweekly

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 11:08 AM
WHAT THE FUCK???

from another forum

Just heard Rich Eisen on the Dan Patrick show confirm that Favre is coming back to Packers and will report to camp on Sunday. Adam Schefter also said that Favre and TT had a cordial phone conversation yesterday and it appears Brett will be competing for the starting job in camp. He told TT he wants to play in Green Bay.

sheepshead
07-25-2008, 11:09 AM
My nerves....

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 11:10 AM

Did you see that high school team that developed an offense with 2 QBs and that allowed all 11 players on offense to be eligible?

Obviously, that won't happen in the NFL...but it was hilarious to see the clips of the plays that team runs.

boiga
07-25-2008, 11:16 AM
WHAT THE FUCK???

from another forum

Just heard Rich Eisen on the Dan Patrick show confirm that Favre is coming back to Packers and will report to camp on Sunday. Adam Schefter also said that Favre and TT had a cordial phone conversation yesterday and it appears Brett will be competing for the starting job in camp. He told TT he wants to play in Green Bay.Yikes...

I'm not sure whether to hope that this is just a ploy for a better trade deal, or that Favre has finally removed his head from his ass and is willing to be a team player again. Both situations would be an improvement from the current standoff... but jeez.

Are we too late to pass it all off as water under the bridge?

Lurker64
07-25-2008, 11:16 AM
We're in one of those weird places where it's impossible to tell "what's true" from "what's being concocted to drive up the market value of Favre."

At least nobody's going on Fox News now...

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 11:17 AM
WHAT THE FUCK???

from another forum

Just heard Rich Eisen on the Dan Patrick show confirm that Favre is coming back to Packers and will report to camp on Sunday. Adam Schefter also said that Favre and TT had a cordial phone conversation yesterday and it appears Brett will be competing for the starting job in camp. He told TT he wants to play in Green Bay.Yikes...

I'm not sure whether to hope that this is just a ploy for a better trade deal, or that Favre has finally removed his head from his ass and is willing to be a team player again. Both situations would be an improvement from the current standoff... but jeez.

Are we too late to pass it all off as water under the bridge?

Could the Packers and Favre trying to create the illusion that he will play for the Pack, just like the Dolphins did with Taylor.

pbmax
07-25-2008, 11:20 AM
After the quotes yesterday (or non quotes) at the shareholder's meeting, I think they are reading into this too far.

WHAT THE FUCK???

from another forum

Just heard Rich Eisen on the Dan Patrick show confirm that Favre is coming back to Packers and will report to camp on Sunday. Adam Schefter also said that Favre and TT had a cordial phone conversation yesterday and it appears Brett will be competing for the starting job in camp. He told TT he wants to play in Green Bay.

boiga
07-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Could the Packers and Favre trying to create the illusion that he will play for the Pack, just like the Dolphins did with Taylor. Of course it's possible. But just the knowledge that Brett and Ted had a cordial telephone conversation after all that's been said is pretty jarring.

Then again, this phone call was on Monday, right? If Brett had seriously determined to come back to TC and compete, they would have made the announcement yesterday at the rally, right? This must be a trading ploy.

Dang you ted and Brett for raising my hopes yet again!

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 11:21 AM
I'd think that it's just a ploy to show Brett is committed to playing and that he will play somewhere. I find it hard to believe after all of this that TT will just have him back. There's too much scorched earth between them. Unless Favre said "Ted, what I said was said out of frustration. If you are willing to have me back I'll compete for the job."

But would Ted make the odds even? Would he give an edge to Rodgers or would it be "let the best man win."

This is crazy. There are too many possible scenarios and reasons for all of this. God, I hope this is resolved by Saturday night.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I think him coming out and saying he will report and filing his papers means......

THEY FOUND AN AMICABLE TRADING PARTNER

Freak Out
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Well....... :lol: It has to be because of a trade deal...

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 11:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3504613

JETS GET PERMISSION TO TALK TO FAVRE

packrat
07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I just got a call from my second cousin's girl friend that she saw Brett's locker being loaded on a u-haul headed for Green Bay.

boiga
07-25-2008, 11:35 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=2918F979C2874F696317B4B4828284E2? id=09000d5d809817f1&template=with-video&confirm=true

During a telephone conversation Thursday with Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson, quarterback Brett Favre conveyed he is planning to return to the team and report to training camp this weekend.

I really wonder when on thursday this call was made. Was Ted really facing down all those fans in the atrium with the full knowledge that Brett would likely be in Green Bay by monday? Or did Brett see that the Packers didn't trash him in the shareholder meeting and decided to play nice?

If Ted knew all of this before the meeting, then that man has balls of steel to not even hint to the fans what was going on.

Rastak
07-25-2008, 12:01 PM
The latest from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3504613

The New York Jets have received permission to talk to retired Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre, a source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Friday.

Also Friday, a Packers source told Mortensen that Favre informed Packers general manager Ted Thompson by phone on Thursday that he was planning to report to the team's training camp this weekend.

The Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have expressed interest in Favre, according to a Packers source.

Favre, who retired in April, hasn't made a decision on whether to send in his reinstatement letter. He would need to do that to report to camp.

Favre has asked to be released from his contract and is aware of the Jets' and Bucs' interest, the source said. The Packers have no intention of releasing Favre from his contract, which expires after the 2010 season.

The Packers made phone calls Tuesday to several teams after being encouraged by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to resolve the controversy surrounding Favre before camp opens, according to league and players union sources.

On Wednesday, NFL officials said privately that Favre and the Packers have been talking about which teams he'd be willing to go to in a potential trade, according to ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

It was the clearest signal yet that the Packers will deal Favre to resolve the current stalemate. Green Bay, which has committed to Aaron Rodgers as its quarterback of the future, wants to keep Favre away from its NFC North rivals -- especially the Minnesota Vikings.

Goodell has been briefed by Thompson on the status of the team's approach with Favre. Goodell has encouraged the Packers to accelerate that process by surveying teams around the league to determine if there is a trade partner, sources said.

Goodell also has spoken with Favre, the sources said, telling the veteran passer that he was willing to assist in the process, if necessary.

Several teams in the AFC and NFC confirmed they have been contacted by the Packers.

On Thursday, at the Packers' annual shareholders meeting, team president and CEO Mark Murphy hinted at the possibility of Favre playing for another team by conjuring the image of Joe Montana in a Kansas City Chiefs uniform.

"We want to have positive feelings about Brett and the Packers, and we want him to continue to be a part of the Packer family," Murphy said. "I think the way this is handled will be important in terms of how that plays out in the future. But I'm also cognizant of some of the things that have happened in the past with Joe Montana ending his career with the Chiefs, now you look back on it, most people might not remember that he played with the Chiefs. They remember he was a 49er."

Information from ESPN reporters Chris Mortensen and Sal Paolantonio and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Lurker64
07-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I wonder how the Jets are going to find $12 million worth of cap room in a hurry. They had like $18 million at the start of free agency, but they spent a lot of it signing FAs. I guess that's one reason to not spend all your cap money in FA every year...

gbgary
07-25-2008, 12:17 PM
:shock: wow...the carnival just turned into a full-blown three-ring circus.

Fosco33
07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
So did he file the reinstatement papers w/ the league?

Jimx29
07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
No matter what happens, it still just blows my effing mind that TT and his HUGE ego doesn't want Brett at QB....... :roll:

boiga
07-25-2008, 12:25 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/25/favre-appears-headed-to-green-bay.aspx
JSO caught up to the news. Here's an interesting snip:

The Packers, the source said, have told laid out their plan at quarterback, including a committment to Aaron Rodgers as the starter, but apparently Favre is willing to come in and either compete for the job or play a secondary role. It doesn't appear the Packers have any objection to Favre coming back as long as he understands the current pecking order.

A league source said the word coming from Cook is that Favre's first choice is to play for the Packers, who he thinks have as good a chance as any team to go to the Super Bowl. According to the source, Cook has expressed that to various people.

It would certainly be nice if they were serious... but I doubt it.

3irty1
07-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Good odds that he's coming back to start I'd say. Couldn't be happier.

RashanGary
07-25-2008, 12:30 PM

I'd say there are good odds that you'll be disappointed. Trade seems much more likely.

Partial
07-25-2008, 12:31 PM
My guess is all the management felt the heat from 50% of Packer fans ready to turn Aaron Rodgers into Nancy Kerrigan, and realized how wrong wrong wrong they are for turning their back on the face of the franchise and for spitting in the face of fans ready to win now.

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 12:32 PM

The odds are still less than 50% that he'll be starting for the Pack against the Vikes.

Partial
07-25-2008, 12:33 PM

The odds are still less than 50% that he'll be starting for the Pack against the Vikes.

What crack are you smoking? If they don't intend to trade him, how can you NOT start him?!?

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 12:34 PM

You certainly must know by now, if you have two quarterbacks that means you don't have one. I am all for a QB competition in preseason, but whoever wins must be annointed the full time QB. No alternating series or quarters or whatever. The offense will be less efficient. I like to use Arizona as an example. They have all the talent in the world surrounding thier TWO fine quarterbacks, but as long as they have TWO quarterbacks they'll never have the ONE quarterback that will take them where they want to go.

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM

What crack are you smoking? If they don't intend to trade him, how can you NOT start him?!?

If you've already made a commitment to another QB.

And they do intend to trade him. If anything, I'm pretty sure that would be their first choice, especially if they can get a 2nd.

What makes you think that Favre will be the starter? Logically.

3irty1
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM

You certainly must know by now, if you have two quarterbacks that means you don't have one. I am all for a QB competition in preseason, but whoever wins must be annointed the full time QB. No alternating series or quarters or whatever. The offense will be less efficient. I like to use Arizona as an example. They have all the talent in the world surrounding thier TWO fine quarterbacks, but as long as they have TWO quarterbacks they'll never have the ONE quarterback that will take them where they want to go.

He was joking.

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 12:37 PM
My guess is all the management felt the heat from 50% of Packer fans ready to turn Aaron Rodgers into Nancy Kerrigan, and realized how wrong wrong wrong they are for turning their back on the face of the franchise and for spitting in the face of fans ready to win now.

It's not 50/50 anymore. When this thing first broke out I think Favre had a majority of supporters, but his comments and actions have swayed opinion away from him and to Rodgers. I'd think the majority of people would be fine with Aaron as the QB on opening day.

Partial
07-25-2008, 12:38 PM

And they do intend to trade him. If anything, I'm pretty sure that would be their first choice, especially if they can get a 2nd.

I think he'll be traded as well, what a shame, but it is what it is.

I suspect if he's on the roster they willh ave no choice but to go with the better player. That is without a doubt Favre.

Partial
07-25-2008, 12:38 PM

It's not 50/50 anymore. When this thing first broke out I think Favre had a majority of supporters, but his comments and actions have swayed opinion away from him and to Rodgers. I'd think the majority of people would be fine with Aaron as the QB on opening day.

Really, because all reports don't have the shareholder meeting divided at 50/50?!?

I think you're wrong, especially if he reports to camp and rides the pine. People either want him gone or starting. No one but you and Harrell wants him here on the bench.

3irty1
07-25-2008, 12:40 PM

Because I don't think there is a deal out there where we will get good value for Favre (even if someone would offer up a 2nd round pick). I also think that come week 1 they will start the best QB on their roster seeing as how this is a professional football team. The Packers give Favre the best chance to win and Favre gives the Packers the best chance to win. I'm hoping Favre got over himself and thanked Thompson for the opportunity to compete for his old job.

gbgary
07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
the only way anyone in camp can concentrate and and get any serious work done is to either give him the starting job right away (so half the media will leave) or trade him (so all the media will leave). this needs taken care of right away!!!

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Really, because all reports don't have the shareholder meeting divided at 50/50?!?

I think you're wrong, especially if he reports to camp and rides the pine. People either want him gone or starting. No one but you and Harrell wants him here on the bench.

First off, let's see if these reports are true. From the cell phone to retiring again, nothing in the media can be believed. I'll believe it if on Sunday Favre shows up in a red jersey and packer shorts. Personally, I think he'll be playing for a different team by Sunday, but we have to wait and see.

And, no, I don't want Favre on the bench. It's a distraction, a distraction that would damage the team. I wanted Favre to stay retired, but since that isn't the case I just want him on another team, whether it be in the NFC or the AFC. I just want to move on from this scenario and move forward with the team we have.

boiga
07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I think you can definitely bring Favre in if he shows up on your terms, that is to say "he's not guaranteed the starting job, he knows this, and he accepts this."

Training camp will be interesting, particularly if Favre is not traded and Aaron legitimately beats out Brett during the preseason.Apparently, that's exactly what they said to him, unless this entire thing is a ploy of course.

Unfortunately, I really don't see any way that Packer fans would ever accept the result if McCarthy decides that Rodgers won the TC battle. People would assume bias/revenge and things would be pretty ugly, especially if Brett pulled another prima donna act.

I mean, those of you who want Favre back as starter, would you accept McCarthy's word that Rodgers was the better QB in training camp?

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Boiga hit the nail on the head. There is no way Rodgers can truly, fairly, at least in the eyes of some fans, win this job. No matter what happens, there will be cries of favoritism and bias.

MTPackerfan
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Boiga hit the nail on the head. There is no way Rodgers can truly, fairly, at least in the eyes of some fans, win this job. No matter what happens, there will be cries of favoritism and bias.

Agreed!

pbmax
07-25-2008, 01:08 PM
If that scenario was true, then the Packers wouldn't be granting permission to teams seeking to talk to him.

The New York Jets have received permission to talk to retired Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre, a source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Friday.

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM

This will be settled once and for all in the preseason games. People can watch for themselves as the games are on TV. You can see if Rodgers outplays Favre, just like you can see if Favre outplays Rodgers. The bias only comes in if you give Favre a free pass for mistakes that you wouldn't give Rodgers a pass for. If you are completely objective and grade them equally, then there is no bias.

Favre: "Meh, he threw an INT, no big deal he's done it before."

Rodgers: "OMG he threw an INT he SUX, trade him NOW."

If you think like that, you are right in that Rodgers has no shot at winning a competition. And I can see many people with that mindset. Shame.

3irty1
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM

Unless of course Favre plays like complete crap. But I don't see you would go with Rodgers over Favre even if they performed about the same in preseason.

mmmdk
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
profootballweekly

This would make my week.

With all that has transpired this is the best way to go. I'm not smiling but I accept it and I see no other alternative. Favre screwed that up...YES HE DID SORRY!

PACKERS4EVER :pack:

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 01:19 PM
If that scenario was true, then the Packers wouldn't be granting permission to teams seeking to talk to him.

I agree. Favre is DONE with Green Bay, and those holding out hope simply refuse to accept the obvious.

He won't be in camp...that circus is NOT what McCarthy wants to deal with when real work is at hand.

Rastak
07-25-2008, 01:19 PM

This will be settled once and for all in the preseason games. People can watch for themselves as the games are on TV. You can see if Rodgers outplays Favre, just like you can see if Favre outplays Rodgers. The bias only comes in if you give Favre a free pass for mistakes that you wouldn't give Rodgers a pass for. If you are completely objective and grade them equally, then there is no bias.

If you think like that, you are right in that Rodgers has no shot at winning a competition. And I can see many people with that mindset. Shame.

Unless they alternate playing with the first team and against 1st team defenses it's apples and oranges comparing the two. That's why preseason can sometimes be hard to judge.

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 01:21 PM
That's why preseason can sometimes be hard to judge.

Preseason is impossible to judge because defenses simply aren't running full schemes in game situations.

Just because Rodgers tears up preseason defenses is not a sign that he could handle more complex blitz packages and coverages that he will see in the regular season. Those are the growing pains that Rodgers will realize...and the only way to learn is the hard way by starting and playing in regular season NFL games.

Lurker64
07-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Unless of course Favre plays like complete crap. But I don't see you would go with Rodgers over Favre even if they performed about the same in preseason.

I would say that if they perform "about the same" in preseason and camp, you would have to go with Rodgers over Favre. At this point in their respective careers, Rodgers is getting better and Favre is getting un-better. If they're about equal, go with the guy who could be your starter for another decade.

Pacopete4
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
these message boards are gonna suck even more than they do now when we suck dick this season cuz of a- distractions, b- rodgers blows and brohm is not ready

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM

Unless they alternate playing with the first team and against 1st team defenses it's apples and oranges comparing the two. That's why preseason can sometimes be hard to judge.

Let them alternate in preseason then. Preseason is supposed to be where you judge your players current ability against one another to form your depth chart. So let them alternate series in the preseason and then see who's performing better. I just don't want to see them alternating series anymore come September. Someone has to win it before then. And I would agree that if the competition is too close to call, then the nod should go to Favre. I would hope that one of them goes out and wins it on the field rather than leaving it close so MM has to make a tough decision sitting at a desk in his office.

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 01:35 PM
these message boards are gonna suck even more than they do now when we suck dick this season cuz of a- distractions, b- rodgers blows and brohm is not ready

Can't argue with the logic and reasoning behind that post. :roll:

Pacopete4
07-25-2008, 01:38 PM
it just seems like nothing is working out.. no matter how you turn it, if favre starts for us there is still bad blood there and if he is traded is a big black mark on Brett and this teams storied franchise... and that to me sucks, its a heart breaker

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Preseason is impossible to judge because defenses simply aren't running full schemes in game situations.

Just because Rodgers tears up preseason defenses is not a sign that he could handle more complex blitz packages and coverages that he will see in the regular season. Those are the growing pains that Rodgers will realize...and the only way to learn is the hard way by starting and playing in regular season NFL games.

Then what the hell do they even play the preseason for if not to evaluate the players and form a depth chart? I mean, how would YOU accurately judge a competition between the two of them? Or would you just simply state that there is no competition and just give the job to Favre?

Seriously Leaper, this needs to be settled before the regular season begins. Somehow, if Favre is to be a Packer in 2008, McCarthy has to find a way for the two of them to compete and then judge that competition to crown a winner. We can't have two starting QB's come September. It's not fair to Rodgers to just give the job to Favre period, no questions asked. Rodgers at the very least has earned the right to compete for the job. If preseason isn't the place for that competition, then what is?

boiga
07-25-2008, 01:43 PM
I think we all understand your sentiment, pacopete.

My ideal situation has always been that Favre comes back to the Packers but willing chooses to adopt a role in the supporting caste. He's a gold mine of experience and if he truely accepts the job as A-Rod's mentor this season, we'd become a much better team even if Brett is sitting on the bench.

That way, we can all just get along, right?

3irty1
07-25-2008, 01:51 PM

I would say that if they perform "about the same" in preseason and camp, you would have to go with Rodgers over Favre. At this point in their respective careers, Rodgers is getting better and Favre is getting un-better. If they're about equal, go with the guy who could be your starter for another decade.

That's true assuming you can tell everything in the world from preseason which isn't the case. Them having the same skill level and them being about the same in preseason are two different things. I don't think preseason is a stong enough indicator to go with Rodgers over Favre should they both be the same. Favre is proven.

cpk1994
these message boards are gonna suck even more than they do now when we suck dick this season cuz of a- distractions, b- rodgers blows and brohm is not readyWhy do you even bother coming here if all you are going to do is spew garbage. I hope Roddgers throws for over 3500 yeards so he can persaonally stick your foot down your goddamn throat.

Chevelle2
KFFL:

Favre has no interest in Jets.

LOCAL NEWS IN GB:

Favre has no interest in Tampa

:drma:

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2008, 01:56 PM
So, does this mean Favre is coming back to force the Packers to release him or is he genuinely interested in competing for the starting job?

packers11
07-25-2008, 01:57 PM
KFFL:

LOCAL NEWS IN GB:

He wants in Green Bay or in Minnesota...

This is interesting...

packers11
07-25-2008, 01:57 PM
So, does this mean Favre is coming back to force the Packers to release him or is he genuinely interested in competing for the starting job?

Either Or...

I think he would do either... I think hes going to decline ALL TRADES though...

boiga
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Chevelle, is that really the case? Because after those two, the only teams that'd pay for him are the vikings and bears.

If Favre really did turn down both Tampa and the Jets, he doesn't have anywhere else to go but Green Bay.

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Rodgers blows? Did I miss something last year? Maybe we were watching different players named Aaron Rodgers, but the one I was watching did pretty well...

Pugger
07-25-2008, 01:59 PM
My hubby and I were watching the noon news here in GB. He turned to me and said "See? What did I tell ya? I had a feeling he'd come back to camp". :shock:

After all the reports and interviews, NOTHING would surprise me now... :roll:

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
What's wrong with Tampa? They're a playoff team. I can understand the Jets being a bad destination, but Tampa?

Sigh.

boiga
07-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Here's JSO's take on Favre's mindset:
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/25/favre-knows-situation-hasn-t-change-in-gb.aspx

There are indications that Favre still wants to play for the Packers and will accept whatever role he's given when training camp opens. He's confident that he'll be able to outperform Rodgers and force them to play him.

So, then the question becomes what Brett would do if he DOESN'T get the starting job against the vikes... Would he retire in week 2, twelve million dollars richer?

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 02:02 PM
What's wrong with Tampa? They're a playoff team. I can understand the Jets being a bad destination, but Tampa?

Sigh.

Gruden would actually make him work.

packers11
07-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Here's JSO's take on Favre's mindset:
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/25/favre-knows-situation-hasn-t-change-in-gb.aspx

There are indications that Favre still wants to play for the Packers and will accept whatever role he's given when training camp opens. He's confident that he'll be able to outperform Rodgers and force them to play him.

So, then the question becomes what Brett would do if he DOESN'T get the starting job against the vikes...

Yea your out of your mind...

MM is going to break the 250 something streak because he feels Brett needs to be on the bench... I'll bet my bank account that if they do compete, Favre will blow Rodgers out of the water.

Pacopete4
07-25-2008, 02:03 PM
these message boards are gonna suck even more than they do now when we suck dick this season cuz of a- distractions, b- rodgers blows and brohm is not readyWhy do you even bother coming here if all you are going to do is spew garbage. I hope Roddgers throws for over 3500 yeards so he can persaonally stick your foot down your goddamn throat.

Why not keep Favre who threw for 4,155?... makes sense to me

gex
07-25-2008, 02:03 PM
cpk1994 wrote:

I hope Roddgers throws for over 3500 yeards so he can persaonally stick your foot down your goddamn throat.

I personally hope Rodgers sucks and gets hurt then we can get rid of him and his daddy TT, start over w/Brohm and tell you to stfu.

hoosier
07-25-2008, 02:05 PM
KFFL:

LOCAL NEWS IN GB:

He wants in Green Bay or in Minnesota...

This is interesting...

If that's true, if Favre really shot down a trade to Tampa or NYJ, and if he's really insisting on coming back and sticking it to 'em, then if I were TT I'd stick it right back: put him through a few weeks of training camp and then stick him on the IR for the year. End of consecutive game streak.

The Shadow
07-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Favre will be dealt withinthe next couple of days. My money is on the Jets.
It's time we were recompensed for the John Hadl boondoggle.

packers11
07-25-2008, 02:06 PM
If that's true, if Favre really shot down a trade to Tampa or NYJ, and if he's really insisting on coming back and sticking it to 'em, then if I were TT I'd stick it right back: put him through a few weeks of training camp and then stick him on the IR for the year. End of consecutive game streak.

Yes because Godell would let that happen... Like the media would let that pass... You are out of your MIND...

MateoInMex
This is a bluff IMHO.

I'm sorry, but how could a 16 year vet w/ 2 Superbowl appearances, how many MVP's.... come into Training Camp after being a play away from the SuperBowl last year as a back-up?

This soap opera is becoming more than annoying. At least in Spanish Language soap operas, there exists hot chicks with nice racks. I don't know what the hell to call this though.

Freak Out
Come on people...don't hold back anything here...this is an open forum.

Freak Out
07-25-2008, 02:08 PM
It's time we were recompensed for the John Hadl boondoggle.

Ha ha......nice one Shadow,

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Then what the hell do they even play the preseason for if not to evaluate the players and form a depth chart?

Preseason IS useful...don't get me wrong. However, it is not truly a great barometer for how well a QB is going to do. Offenses and defenses are just too vanilla in the preseason to make an accurate judgment on how well a QB will handle "live" bullets, so to speak.

I mean, how would YOU accurately judge a competition between the two of them? Or would you just simply state that there is no competition and just give the job to Favre?

Personally, I would give the job to Favre. He's the better QB right now. He has more experience in his pinky than Rodgers has in his entire body.

A competition really is stupid, and I've said as much. FAVRE IS BETTER. There is no logical way to argue that Rodgers is comparable to Favre RIGHT NOW. Sure, I see the logic behind the long term plan...and agree that there are logical reasons for playing Rodgers in 2008 and "moving on".

However, the notion that Rodgers will play as well as Favre would in 2008 is not one of those logical reasons IMO.

My take has always been that if you had both, you utilize both. Favre should be the starter...Rodgers should see time in a unique role and in mop up duty. Both have value...both can play...using both would help the Packers in 2008.

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 02:13 PM

Then you will be wrong.

Favre has the right to veto any trade...and he sure as hell won't go to the Jets.

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 02:15 PM

Yeah...paying Favre $13M is sure a great way to stick it to him.

HowardRoark
07-25-2008, 02:16 PM

O.K.

I like hot chicks with nice racks....especially Latinas.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Personally, I would give the job to Favre. He's the better QB right now.

But how can one accurately say this? We don't know what goes on every day in practice, we don't know what goes on every day during film session. How quickly we forget Favre 05 and 06 campaigns. Clearly he needs sick talent around him to have a good year, at this age.

What if Rodgers can decipher film faster than any QB MM has ever worked with? What if his accuracy is unparalleled, what if his ball security is like none other? There must be something which is making TT and MM go with another option. As good as Favre was last year, they must think Rodgers is even better, and thats exciting to me.

To me, there HAS to be a reason that MM - a smart man who has worked with a plethora of QBs - wants Rodgers, and he knows more than you or I.

hoosier
07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

You think Favre is doing it for the money? You think the Packers' bottom line would suffer? At this point it's sounding like Favre might pay $13 big ones for the chance to stick it to TT.

Rastak
07-25-2008, 02:26 PM

You think Favre is doing it for the money? You think the Packers' bottom line would suffer? At this point it's sounding like Favre might pay $13 big ones for the chance to stick it to TT.

What exactly do you think the league would do if they put Favre on IR and he said he isn't injured and so do his doctors? You do know it's a rules violation to declare non-existent injuries. Although for some reason it doesn't apply to New England.....

SkinBasket
07-25-2008, 02:27 PM

http://www.creepygif.com/images/full/477.gif

The Leaper
How quickly we forget Favre 05 and 06 campaigns.

I don't forget...I remember vividly Favre having to play on an offense with Samkon Gado at RB and throwing to WRs like Taco Wallace.

Tom Brady could not have produced anything with our offense in 2005.

Charles Woodson
Now this is what i dont understand...
A team like the Jets could make a decent amount on getting Favre, then turning around and dealing him to the Vikings... What a twist that would be.
But still, i honestly dont think theres any way that Favre goes to the Jets, i mean playing in the same Div as the patriots would suckk.

My money is on him being a viking some how, although it would suck

SkinBasket
07-25-2008, 02:28 PM

Don't forget the pillaging of the village and the raping of the livestock.

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 02:29 PM
As good as Favre was last year, they must think Rodgers is even better, and thats exciting to me.

If you believe that, I have some great beachfront property in Florida to sell you.

Both McCarthy and Thompson are on record as saying they were all ready for Favre to come back and be the starter in 2008 after last season...and looking forward to it.

The notion that Rodgers is a better QB than Favre right now was not crossing their mind.

Lurker64
07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
A team like the Jets could make a decent amount on getting Favre, then turning around and dealing him to the Vikings... What a twist that would be.
But still, i honestly dont think theres any way that Favre goes to the Jets, i mean playing in the same Div as the patriots would suckk.

If Favre is dealt, the deal will either be conditional with some things kicking in if Favre is dealt in the 2008 or 2009 seasons -or- it will be based on a gentlemen's agreement to not deal Favre again. If it's the latter and the GM turns around and deals him anyway, Thompson will let it be known that the offending GM is not trustworthy. This will hurt his standing among other GMs in the league and make it more difficult to negotiate with other teams (as well as players).

The Vikes would have to make a hell of an offer for either of these things to happen.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 02:32 PM
As good as Favre was last year, they must think Rodgers is even better, and thats exciting to me.

If you believe that, I have some great beachfront property in Florida to sell you.

Both McCarthy and Thompson are on record as saying they were all ready for Favre to come back and be the starter in 2008 after last season...and looking forward to it.

The notion that Rodgers is a better QB than Favre right now was not crossing their mind.

Maybe you dont know what it means to be politically correct. I guess if you blindly follow Favre around, bashing everyone under the sun is completely acceptable.

Hasn't crossed there minds? What about their dreams? Do you know if they have dreamt about it? :roll:

Zool
07-25-2008, 02:32 PM

Don't forget the pillaging of the village and the raping of the livestock.

I was in the back yard the other day and Thompson was back there shitting in the bird bath screaming Partial is right about me!

boiga
07-25-2008, 02:34 PM

The notion that Rodgers is a better QB than Favre right now was not crossing their mind.But like you said, The Leaper, there are a lot of good long term reasons for Rodgers to get significant play time this season. We need to see if he's the future of this team before the end of the year or we will have wasted all the time spent on him.

Even if Brett does come back and convinces management to let him start, I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers was still given 40-50% of the downs. This transition has to come eventually, and now is as good of a time as any.

Pacopete4
07-25-2008, 02:36 PM
you want them to split time?... cha, right

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Hasn't crossed there minds? What about their dreams? Do you know if they have dreamt about it? :roll:

My point was that they clearly did not think Rodgers was a better option than Favre at the end of last season...because they wanted Favre to return in 2008 AS THE STARTER until he couldn't make up his mind.

Favre's retirement was what made Rodgers the starter...not the fact that Rodgers has proven himself to be better than Favre.

Pacopete4
07-25-2008, 02:39 PM
When the source close to Favre was asked what he thought the quarterback would do, the source said: “Brett said ‘if my dad were still alive, he’d tell me to get on that plane and report to practice’.”

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/PKR01/80725057/1058

I wish his dad was still alive cuz this mess woulda never happened...

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 02:40 PM

My point was that they clearly did not think Rodgers was a better option than Favre at the end of last season...because they wanted Favre to return in 2008 AS THE STARTER until he couldn't make up his mind.

Favre's retirement was what made Rodgers the starter...not the fact that Rodgers has proven himself to be better than Favre.

so they say

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 02:41 PM
When the source close to Favre was asked what he thought the quarterback would do, the source said: “Brett said ‘if my dad were still alive, he’d tell me to get on that plane and report to practice’.”

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/PKR01/80725057/1058

:shock:

We might actually be getting him back.....

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Even if Brett does come back and convinces management to let him start, I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers was still given 40-50% of the downs. This transition has to come eventually, and now is as good of a time as any.

40-50% is too much.

I could see continuing to develop the packages they've created for Rodgers and letting him play a couple series in some games. The threat of Rodgers playing makes things harder on the opposing defense, who will have to prepare for him even if he doesn't play.

The Packers have the depth at WR and smart enough offensive coaches to pull something like that off IMO...and work it to their advantage.

Merlin
All of this speculation is getting ridiculous. Why don't we just split the forum in three and the people who worship Rodgers can stay on one side and the people who worship Favre on the other and then the people who are Packer Fans and want the best players available playing for the Packers in middle, that is what it comes down to. Rodgers played "ok" against Dallas he didn't do anything spectacular accept not get hurt. Rodgers has NEVER torn it up in the pre-season, not by a long shot. Favre hasn't torn it up in pre-season as far back as I can remember. So I am thinking pre-season isn't really the way to judge this contest. Rodgers has never competed for his job in the NFL at any level. He was Thompson's guy out of the gate and I agree that Favre needs to compete in training camp.

Saying whoever is better is a lost cause and an argument that has zero merit. You simply cannot compare the two. Favre is coming off of one of the best seasons in an awesome career. Rodgers has yet to prove anything, not one thing. So the decision should be clear to anyone with a pulse. What this comes down to is bias. Those of you who think Rodgers is the second coming refuse to see anything negative there and those who are solidly in Favre's corner refuse to see anything positive. Personally, I don't think Rodgers is our guy, there are too many things he does that he should not be doing after three years in the NFL. Can he change? Sure, and I hope he does. Bottom line is what is best for the Packers and the team winning and the second Favre asks for reinstatement and is subsequently reinstated, that will be Favre starting. That should not be in dispute among respectable Packer fans. Does this mean Favre remains the starter the entire season? Does that mean McCarthy doesn't pull the plug at some point? No, it means that Brett Favre gives the Green Bay Packers the best opportunity at this time to win NFL football games. Sorry, but that is the reality like it or not.

The Leaper
so they say

Yeah...they did say. That's my point.

gex
07-25-2008, 02:43 PM
If Favre comes back, he will be the starter. Ther is no way any sane person sits the MVP of the team from the year before.

But later in the year they could work some packages in for poor fragile Aaron, let him show other teams what he's got.

The Leaper
07-25-2008, 02:43 PM

Exactly...his dad would've smacked him upside the head a long time ago.

Pacopete4
07-25-2008, 02:47 PM
probably woulda had a few words to TT too... neither handled this situation well

Zool
07-25-2008, 02:47 PM
All of this speculation is getting ridiculous. Why don't we just split the forum in three and the people who worship Rodgers can stay on one side and the people who worship Favre on the other and then the people who are Packer Fans and want the best players available playing for the Packers in middle, that is what it comes down to. Rodgers played "ok" against Dallas he didn't do anything spectacular accept not get hurt. Rodgers has NEVER torn it up in the pre-season, not by a long shot. Favre hasn't torn it up in pre-season as far back as I can remember. So I am thinking pre-season isn't really the way to judge this contest. Rodgers has never competed for his job in the NFL at any level. He was Thompson's guy out of the gate and I agree that Favre needs to compete in training camp.

Saying whoever is better is a lost cause and an argument that has zero merit. You simply cannot compare the two. Favre is coming off of one of the best seasons in an awesome career. Rodgers has yet to prove anything, not one thing. So the decision should be clear to anyone with a pulse. What this comes down to is bias. Those of you who think Rodgers is the second coming refuse to see anything negative there and those who are solidly in Favre's corner refuse to see anything positive. Personally, I don't think Rodgers is our guy, there are too many things he does that he should not be doing after three years in the NFL. Can he change? Sure, and I hope he does. Bottom line is what is best for the Packers and the team winning and the second Favre asks for reinstatement and is subsequently reinstated, that will be Favre starting. That should not be in dispute among respectable Packer fans. Does this mean Favre remains the starter the entire season? Does that mean McCarthy doesn't pull the plug at some point? No, it means that Brett Favre gives the Green Bay Packers the best opportunity at this time to win NFL football games. Sorry, but that is the reality like it or not.

God damnit if this doesnt make sense.

boiga
07-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Exactly...his dad would've smacked him upside the head a long time ago.Here here! Maybe an otherworldly smack is what's changed brett's mind about reporting to camp and competing in the first place. He certainly needed one after that interview with Greta.

Oh, Schefter from NFLN has a fairly quality discussion in a 10 minute video here: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8098235e

He goes through a lot of the same points that we are debating... and seems about as lost as any of us too.

Big points: -the only two teams that make sense right now for a trade are the Jets and Bucc's.

-No matter how good Rodgers is, he'll have little to no chance in a straight up competition with Favre.

-The Packers might be bringing Brett solely on the hope that another team's starting QB goes down in the preseason. That would make the trade climate significantly more friendly.

MadtownPacker
07-25-2008, 03:01 PM
If Favre shows up he is planning on playing for the Packers. No way he shows his faces then leaves. This is gonna get good.

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
If Favre shows up he is planning on playing for the Packers. No way he shows his faces then leaves. This is gonna get good.

If by good you mean a circus for the whole organization, than, yes, it will be damn good.

SkinBasket
07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Personally, I don't think Rodgers is our guy, there are too many things he does that he should not be doing after three years in the NFL.

The argument about who's better for the team right now aside, what is it Rodgers is "doing" that he shouldn't?

MadtownPacker
07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
If by good you mean a circus for the whole organization, than, yes, it will be damn good.Quit being such a wimp with that crybaby bullshit. It is fuck ing ENTERTAINMENT and if you think this isnt the shit the NFL powers dream about then you are lying to yourself. Drama brings ratings and stay or go the Favre news aint going away unless he stays retired.

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
If by good you mean a circus for the whole organization, than, yes, it will be damn good.Quit being such a wimp with that crybaby bullshit. It is fuck ing ENTERTAINMENT and if you think this isnt the shit the NFL powers dream about then you are lying to yourself. Drama brings ratings and stay or go the Favre news aint going away unless he stays retired.

Favre sitting on the bench doesn't bring ratings.

MadtownPacker
07-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Favre sitting on the bench doesn't bring ratings.Are you kidding?? That would be an even worse car crash that people would not be able to turn away from.

But if he is serious about competing for a starting job I dont think he loses to Rodgers.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 03:26 PM
All of this speculation is getting ridiculous. Why don't we just split the forum in three and the people who worship Rodgers can stay on one side and the people who worship Favre on the other and then the people who are Packer Fans and want the best players available playing for the Packers in middle, that is what it comes down to.

Count me a Rodgers worshiper! HE even looks like Jesus.

And is that a blessing of the multitudes he's doing with those hands?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bfC00m37jeej/610x.jpg

BallHawk
07-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Favre sitting on the bench doesn't bring ratings.Are you kidding?? That would be an even worse car crash that people would not be able to turn away from.

But if he is serious about competing for a starting job I dont think he loses to Rodgers.

You think people are going to tune in to a Packers game and say "There's Favre holding a clipboard. Maybe, if we're lucky, Rodgers will get hurt and Favre will play"?

Ratings will be high if Favre plays, as always. The NFL would like Favre on another team, ratings-wise. You think ratings wouldn't be sky-high for Favre's debut against the Saints, if he goes to Tampa? Can you imagine the ratings for when the Packers travel to Tampa, if Favre is a Bucs?

Having Rodgers starting for the Pack and Favre starting for another team would be heavenly for the NFL.

The Shadow
07-25-2008, 04:05 PM

The problem is that he would be sticking it to the Green Bay Packers.
As a fan of the Green Bay Packers, he would be sticking it to me.
I prefer to remain unstuck.

pbmax
07-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Favre does not have a veto, he has the ability to refuse to show or not negotiate with the team. Call it a line item veto.

And this is what conditional draft picks are for. Its a second rounder if he is on the roster at all during the next two seasons, its a seventh rounder if he doesn't show.

Then you will be wrong.

Favre has the right to veto any trade...and he sure as hell won't go to the Jets.

motife
07-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Favre: Not Interested in Talking About Jets, Bucs
July 25, 2008 by sfhayes
Stranger and stranger. Chris Mortensen reported that Ted Thompson and Brett Favre spoke yesterday and that Favre told Thompson he planned to report to camp. Thompson told Favre that both the Bucaneers and Jets were interested in trading for him and, according to Mortensen, Favre was “not interested” in talking about those trades.

If Favre refuses to be traded to a playoff contender like Tampa Bay, he will confirm the growing suspicions many of us have that he orchestrated this entire thing so that he could play for the Vikings.

Jay Glazer just posted an article on Jets/Bucs and it already has 991 ciomments.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8361098/Jets,-Bucs-show-interest-as-Favre-preps-for-camp

pbmax
07-25-2008, 04:46 PM
And for this scenario you ask for the highest pick in a round, not a specific teams pick. So you term it the higher of any picks in the second round or th lowest of multiple picks in the first.

boiga
07-25-2008, 04:47 PM
But is he not interested in "talking" about those trades, or is he not interested in playing for either team?

One potential way to look at this is that Favre is keeping mum on the subject to allow ted to bump up the bidding war between the two. This could be the first pro-packers move Favre has made all off season.

Ironic, considering it eases him into another team's roster.

pbmax
07-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Its now officially a game of chicken. Who will blink first? Can McCarthy stand 320 questions per day?

Can Favre stomach playing second string?

My nightmare scenario is that he starts this year. I'm not worried about him playing poorly, except for the cold and the playoffs. But if he starts. then we get to relive this for the next two years as well. And each time they will need to wait until training camp opens to find out if he is coming back.

He is going to be moved for conditional picks.

cpk1994
07-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Personally, I don't think Rodgers is our guy, there are too many things he does that he should not be doing after three years in the NFL.

The argument about who's better for the team right now aside, what is it Rodgers is "doing" that he shouldn't?Don't feed Merlin, Skin. He has hated A-Rod from day 1 and refuses to give any credit to him as it feeds into his anti-TT agenda. Don't feed the tool.

gex
07-25-2008, 05:11 PM
cpk1994 wrote:

Don't feed Merlin, Skin. He has hated A-Rod from day 1 and refuses to give any credit to him as it feeds into his anti-TT agenda. Don't feed the tool.

The only tool here is the hater that is you! Go suck TT's smooth ballsickles.

The Shadow
07-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Is anyone else around here beginning to detect the pungent 'aroma' of tank once again despoiling the sweet atmosphere of healthy discourse?

Jimx29
07-25-2008, 05:21 PM

Exactly...his dad would've smacked him upside the head a long time ago.
probably woulda had a few words to TT too... neither handled this situation well

I believe that I agree with that sentiment :)
http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=13122

gex
07-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Fuck you Shadow , I'm tired of you and other posters dumping on the man for fucking changing his mind. Its not an unspeekable act. It's fucking a human trait that many pro athletes have done before. Not that you can remember, but you have changed your mind many a times in your lifetime.

HowardRoark
07-25-2008, 05:35 PM
no matter what.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVX7HZFUmMc

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I really don't want him back. I hope this is not true.

Favre coming to Packer Camp

JH and TT's nightmare :lol:

outflow
07-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I would assume that Favre gets a bulk of the playing time during the preseason then. :wink:

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm tired of you and other posters dumping on the man for fucking changing his mind. Its not an unspeekable act.

Its fine that he changed his mind. But the Packers can change their mind too. They already moved on with the post-Favre era by July.

Why has there even been a big drama? When the team informed Favre that the team had moved on, Favre should have just been a man and gone about his business. Explore his options with other teams through Thompson. Or accept that his starter role was not guaranteed, and negotiate with McCarthy about starting camp as a backup.

It's called life - things don't always go our way. Divas may not have learned that lesson.

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 05:43 PM

If they are about even then you ignore past accomplishments in favor of the unknown :?:

THIS is whty TT will trade Brett Favre......he does not have to make the call then

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 05:45 PM

I hope Favre throws for another 4000 for Green Bay. If they get rid of him then I hope Rodgers throws for 4000 for Green Bay

cpk1994
07-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Fuck you Shadow , I'm tired of you and other posters dumping on the man for fucking changing his mind. Its not an unspeekable act. It's fucking a human trait that many pro athletes have done before. Not that you can remember, but you have changed your mind many a times in your lifetime.Then leave. No one is forcing you to read those kind of posts. Hell you can even go back to sniffing Favre;'s jock. You have that right, just as we have the right to call Favre on his BS.

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Fuck you Shadow , I'm tired of you and other posters dumping on the man for fucking changing his mind. Its not an unspeekable act. It's fucking a human trait that many pro athletes have done before. Not that you can remember, but you have changed your mind many a times in your lifetime.

Shadow has been dumping on Favre LONG before this happend Gex

Joemailman
07-25-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't think the idea of Favre accepting the backup role is as crazy and remote as most seem to think. Favre may be wanting to step back from the acrimony that's been created, and may want to mend fences with the organization and his fans. If Favre were to accept the backup role, he would be as popular, or perhaps more popular than ever. He would be delivering a kick to the groin of everyone who says he is no longer a team guy.

In addition, there would be a very good chance he would be the starter at some point in the season. Last year, only ten QB's started all 16 games. Given that Rodgers hasn't exactly looked like an ironman, it is highly likely he'll get to make a key contribution on a team that has a good chance to go to the Super Bowl.

GBRulz
07-25-2008, 06:59 PM
I see two scenarios here. Either Favre is traded very soon OR he is given the starting job back. I'm sorry, but I cannot see a QB battle through TC. It would be more distracting than productive. Fans standing 5-6 rows deep at the fence who are yelling out, causing distractions, etc. Also, I cannot see how it wouldn't be a distraction in the locker room, either. I think players already feel like they are walking on eggshells as it is.

It bothers me most that four months ago, the Packers wanted him back as their starter. Now, they don't want him back. The fact that Rodgers has never had to compete for his position is what I disagree with. Just like in his 2nd year, he was already labeled as back-up. Now, he slides into the starting role. But four months ago, TT wanted Favre as the starter.

I don't like the way Favre has gone about things this whole off-season but TT has one responsibility here...you put your best players on the field. The best players NOW, not the ones that MIGHT be somewhere down the road.

Let Brett have the starting job back or trade him. I don't see it any other way.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 07:07 PM
he is given the starting job back.

When they decided a month ago that they didn't want Favre back as the starter, they must have had their reasons. What has changed since then that would cause McCarthy change his mind?

It bothers me most that four months ago, the Packers wanted him back as their starter.

What bothers you about this?

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't think the idea of Favre accepting the backup role is as crazy and remote as most seem to think. Favre may be wanting to step back from the acrimony that's been created, and may want to mend fences with the organization and his fans. If Favre were to accept the backup role, he would be as popular, or perhaps more popular than ever. He would be delivering a kick to the groin of everyone who says he is no longer a team guy.

I too think this could and should happen. But probably wishful thinking, too good to be true.

RashanGary
07-25-2008, 07:08 PM
The Packers made a calculated decison to go through the media shit storm of moving on from Brett Favre. If they were not 100% on board with that decision they would have cut it off before it got ugly.

I think the options are trade, trade or trade with release coming only on day one of the season if it gets that far. The Packers are sure about moving forward. I think all actions point to that.

GBRulz
07-25-2008, 07:11 PM
It bothers me most that four months ago, the Packers wanted him back as their starter.

Is that the best you can do? You're slacking, Blue.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 07:11 PM
I think the options are trade, trade or trade with release coming only on day one of the season if it gets that far.

Favre will get his release when his contract runs out in 2010. Options are trade, come to camp and accept backup job, stay retired.

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Anybody think Favre is dumb?

He's in control of 'the Brett Favre ' show ladies and gentleman.

Stay tuned. :D

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 07:13 PM

Is that the best you can do? You're slacking, Blue.

ok, I'll rephrase:

What about this bothers you? Do you understand their reasoning?

Oscar
07-25-2008, 07:14 PM

I'll tell ya....Gex.... I hope you change your mind and go back to where ever it is you came from...The cursing and name calling can go with ya.. :smack:

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:17 PM
I see two scenarios here. Either Favre is traded very soon OR he is given the starting job back. I'm sorry, but I cannot see a QB battle through TC. It would be more distracting than productive. Fans standing 5-6 rows deep at the fence who are yelling out, causing distractions, etc. Also, I cannot see how it wouldn't be a distraction in the locker room, either. I think players already feel like they are walking on eggshells as it is.

It bothers me most that four months ago, the Packers wanted him back as their starter. Now, they don't want him back. The fact that Rodgers has never had to compete for his position is what I disagree with. Just like in his 2nd year, he was already labeled as back-up. Now, he slides into the starting role. But four months ago, TT wanted Favre as the starter.

I don't like the way Favre has gone about things this whole off-season but TT has one responsibility here...you put your best players on the field. The best players NOW, not the ones that MIGHT be somewhere down the road.

Let Brett have the starting job back or trade him. I don't see it any other way.

That's how Favre see's it too M.

he is 'in control'.

He waited as long as he could to slap that one on TT. It is a game of Cat n' Mouse that begins with TT and will end with Favre winning.

I assure y'all of that. TT can't play Favre's game. It's called 'the Right Way'.

GBRulz
07-25-2008, 07:19 PM
What about this bothers you? Do you understand their reasoning?

It bothers me most that four months ago, the Packers wanted him back as their starter. Now, they don't want him back.

No, I really don't. If TT is all about having a winning team, wouldn't you want your best players on the field? I'm as sick of this soap opera as much as anyone, but the player who gives us the best chance to win is not Aaron Rodgers.

Four months ago he wanted Brett. Now he doesn't. What changed? Did Brett take a spill on the golf cart and hurt his knee or something that we don't know about?

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 07:20 PM

he is 'in control'.

He waited as long as he could to slap that one on TT. It is a game of Cat n' Mouse that begins with TT and will end with Favre winning.

I assure y'all of that. TT can't play Favre's game. It's called 'the Right Way'.

You are the first person I've ever heard say that Brett Favre handled this offseason 'the right way'.

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:23 PM
TT will now trap himself? Don't think he's that stupid.

He only wins awarding the starting job to Favre . Anything else and he loses.

Fans will remember what TT does with Favre for decades to forever.

TT is just 'a guy'. Here today and gone. he has a certain determinant role now on Favre as a Packer.

He won't trade Favre NOT if if Favre says NO!!

Favre is back Packer fans . COUNT ON IT!!! He flushed Ted Thompson out. It's too simple now to see otherwise. :D

Favre behind OUR center for game one inOUR season in 2008.

TT is trapped. To look smart. :D I love it.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 07:24 PM

he is 'in control'.

Favre is not going to become the starting QB in Green Bay by playing public relations games.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Four months ago he wanted Brett. Now he doesn't. What changed? Did Brett take a spill on the golf cart and hurt his knee or something that we don't know about?

What changed is that the team was retooled during those 4 months to move-on without Favre.
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=13397

There are two ways of looking at it. And its not at all certain which way is correct. But TT & MM have the right to make the choice.

GBRulz
07-25-2008, 07:29 PM
There are two ways of looking at it. And its not at all certain which way is correct. But TT & MM have the right to make the choice.

Exactly. and I will support them if they make the right choice!

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:29 PM

he is 'in control'.

Favre is not going to become the starting QB in Green Bay by playing public relations games.

Right but he is the starting QB for OUR team last I saw. He will START IF HE SO DESIRES.

FAVRE STUMBLED. HE'S HUMAN BUT HE WINS THE LONG SUIT OR THE END GAME.

EASY TO WIN VS TED THOMPSON THOUGH HH.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 07:30 PM

he is 'in control'.

Right but he is the starting QB for OUR team last I saw. He will staRT IF HE SO DESIRES.

Can Chillar make the same plea?

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 07:31 PM

And I'm 100% behind them if their choice works out!

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 07:32 PM

Will you support them if they make the right choice even if it isn't the one you agree with right now?

Will you support them even if they make the wrong choice because you support the Green Bay Packers?

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 07:33 PM

not really. a lot of fans rally behind the team against the player.

but beyond personal loyalties, Favre has lost the argument on the merits with most people.

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Easy enough choice. Only one choice :D to take all heat off the books.

Favar starts for the Packers. It's a lock or TT is a fool.

TT is a tad slow but NO fool with the attention and direction of his boss's in full view if he ships Favre. Favre is under contract for the next three seasons.mmmmm That has to really bug TT.

It's not his call any longer.

Wake up Packer fans. :D

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 07:36 PM

Easy enough choice. Only one choice :D to take alll heat off the books.

TT is a tad slow but NO fool with the attention and direction of his boss's in full view if he ships Favre.Favre is under contract for the next three seasons.mmmmm That has to really bug TT.

You are correct. It's Mike McCarthy's call whether Favre starts or not.

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:38 PM

but beyond personal loyalties, Favre has lost the argument on the merits with most people.

NOT ENOUGH HH...don't be fooled or deluded.

I watch it all too carefully man.

Favre has to be given his job back as he's declared.It's simple Harlan.

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:41 PM

Easy enough choice. Only one choice :D to take alll heat off the books.

TT is a tad slow but NO fool with the attention and direction of his boss's in full view if he ships Favre.Favre is under contract for the next three seasons.mmmmm That has to really bug TT.

You are correct. It's Mike McCarthy's call whether Favre starts or not.

Favre will continue his sreak on opening day proudly as a Packer and exactly where he planned on playing. Anyone not paying attention?

He retires or he starts in Green Bay.He plays.GOOD WINS AGAIN!!!

A little hard on GOOD of late.

It's the perfect ending of a bad nightmare the past few weeks.

Favre is back. End of STORY. Mr. RELIABLE = Brett Favre.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Mr. RELIABLE = Brett Favre.

Huh??

Postseason Since 1998:

1 super bowl loss
19 touchdowns
19 interceptions
1 fumble.
3-7 record

3 Playoff Wins Since 1998

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:45 PM

Huh??

Postseason Since 1998:

1 super bowl loss
19 touchdowns
19 interceptions
1 fumble.
3-7 record

13-3 in 2007 season.What's your point?

He at least got us to the darn playoff's mister.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 07:47 PM

Huh??

Postseason Since 1998:

1 super bowl loss
19 touchdowns
19 interceptions
1 fumble.
3-7 record

13-3 in 2007 season.Whats your point?

I GIANT Interception.

If you are fine with mediocracy, go be a Lions fan.

3 Playoff Wins Since 1998[/quote]

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Woody's on fire this eve. I'm staying out of his path.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Woody's on fire this eve. I'm staying out of his path.

On the path to mediocracy

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:52 PM

Favre never argued. He changed his mind about retiring. Unheard of? The timing? So what!! He's OUR best chance to get to the playoffs and he does it and takes us to a SB appearance and decides again after this season.

He's under contract till end of 2010.

TT may hide behind MM but too obvious. Favre is ready and we may see Favre benched but that's too stupid for reality. Too easy too simple to not forcast now. GREAT for Brett.

It's called REALITY THERAPY and it's valid. :D

Favre is surely back.

Kiwon
07-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Seeing is believing and until Farve is in camp with the rest of the team then I can't get excited over this.

Who knows what "revelations" might come out in the interim? Who knows if Farve won't change his mind again and retire/quit? Who knows if TT doesn't get a great offer for Farve and trades him away?

I hoped that Farve would come to camp and compete all along. The loveable dipstick has created trouble the whole offseason. I wish he would ignore the media circus he helped to create and just be quiet and play.

Joemailman
07-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Chevelle is so worked up, he's inventing words. Mediocracy? :shock:

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:56 PM

I think I know where YOU are and CONGRATULATIONS . Your a good YOUNG man. :D

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 07:57 PM

Bushism :wink:

woodbuck27
07-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Seeing is believing and until Favre is in camp with the rest of the team then I can't get excited over this.

Who knows what "revelations" might come out in the interim? Who knows if Favre won't change his mind again and retire/quit? Who knows if TT doesn't get a great offer for Favre and trades him away?

I hoped that Favre would come to camp and compete all along. The loveable dipstick has created trouble the whole offseason. I wish he would ignore the media circus he helped to create and just be quiet and play.

Yes! and Personality's ...hard to change. :D

texaspackerbacker
07-25-2008, 08:03 PM
People are dreaming if they think Favre will be starting for the Packers.

He won't, and he shouldn't. The team is better off with Rodgers at QB. Favre can play his chess game by saying he will report even though he hasn't even filed for reinstatement. He may actually even report. However, I'm fairly sure the decision has been made that he won't start.

Which is the best case scenario? We snag a first round pick from the Jets or whoever? Brett quietly fades back into retirement? Or he reports, is paid his $12 million, and rides the bench/serves as insurance against a Rodgers injury?

I'd be very happy with any of those. I honestly think Brett is suggestive enough that if handled correctly, he could be content as a backup--being "one of the guys" and an enthusiastic back-slapping member of a winning team. If that happens, though, the Packers should hire armed guards to keep trouble-making media assholes far away from him with their insidious questions.

Kiwon
07-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Seeing is believing and until Favre is in camp with the rest of the team then I can't get excited over this.

Who knows what "revelations" might come out in the interim? Who knows if Favre won't change his mind again and retire/quit? Who knows if TT doesn't get a great offer for Favre and trades him away?

I hoped that Favre would come to camp and compete all along. The loveable dipstick has created trouble the whole offseason. I wish he would ignore the media circus he helped to create and just be quiet and play.

Yes! and Personality's ...hard to change. :D

I know, wishful thinking on my part. :)

At least Packer fans can't complain about being overlooked by the national media. Green Bay's hotels, motels should be running full pretty soon.

The Shadow
07-25-2008, 08:53 PM

he is 'in control'.

Right but he is the starting QB for OUR team last I saw. He will START IF HE SO DESIRES.

Yup, Brett Favre is really winning the Spoiled Diva competition, hands down.

vince
07-25-2008, 09:01 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/

Who do you blame for the Brett Favre mess?

Brett Favre...............8,686............72% of all votes
Ted Thompson.........2,595............22% of all votes
Bus Cook.................623................5% of all votes
Mike McCarthy..........148................1% of all votes

Total Votes...............12,052

MJZiggy
07-25-2008, 09:19 PM

he is 'in control'.

Dunno, Buck last I saw, he was retired...He won't start until he does the paperwork no matter how much he desires it. And all we've heard so far are contradictions.

BZnDallas
07-25-2008, 09:27 PM
i'm not going to type up here and call people names... i'll even try not to argue with other people b/c every one has their own opinions... opinions are like armpits... everybody has them and they all stink...

first of all i think with favre the packers are a solid super bowl contender... with rodgers i think we are a solid playoff team... now obviously both senarios depend on each man staying healthy the whole year...

secondly i wish favre wouldn't have retired in march... i wish he would have come back the first time (before the draft and OTAs) when TT and MM were going to let him be the starter... and i believe if he would keep his mouth shut and show up for training camp he could beat out AR and be the starter opening day '08... and i also believe its because of his wishy/washy antics that it has come down to that...

thirdly i am ultimately a GB Packer FAN!... as of now BF is my fav. player (and i have the bobble heads, jersey, signed mini helmet, etc... to prove it)... but i'll be a Packer fan whether brett suits up for the green and gold or not... at first i wasn't too sure about TT... he made moves i didn't understand and i questioned him... then he made a couple more moves i questioned... but as far as i'm concerned he has done a hell of a job building this team and putting young playmakers around the QB position... i will trust TT in the decision he makes about this absurd BF fiasco b/c i think he has shown he deserves it...

all i know is, i want this whole ordeal to end... i'd prefer to see brett come to training camp and try and win the starting job back... if not i'd like to see him come back and be a backup/mentor... after that i'd prefer he retire... and if those three senarios don't pan out, it would be really weird watching him in another jersey throwing rockets to other recievers... does he really want to put his original fans through that?... is coming back to play another year or two worth it to him that much? its not for me to say... i'll watch whoever is under center for my GB Packers every sunday/monday/or thursday... and live and die by my green and gold!!

Defense First
07-25-2008, 09:35 PM
I blame Father Time.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/

Who do you blame for the Brett Favre mess?

Brett Favre...............8,686............72% of all votes
Ted Thompson.........2,595............22% of all votes
Bus Cook.................623................5% of all votes
Mike McCarthy..........148................1% of all votes

Total Votes...............12,052

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 09:41 PM

Huh??

Postseason Since 1998:

1 super bowl loss
19 touchdowns
19 interceptions
1 fumble.
3-7 record

If you want to argue that A-Rod can't lead this team to a SB win this year, I'll agree with you. But don't suggest that Rodgers can't lead this team to the playoffs. With the talent surrounding the QB on this team, I don't see how he doesn't get to the post season.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 09:42 PM
In fact, if Rodgers can't win 3 playoff games within the next 5 years, let alone 10, he doesn't belong on this team.

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 09:50 PM

Will you support them if they make the right choice even if it isn't the one you agree with right now?

Will you support them even if they make the wrong choice because you support the Green Bay Packers?

As fans we have the right to criticize when GM's make the wrong decision. You can be a Packer fan and still ridicule...or glorify...a GM's decision

Zool
07-25-2008, 09:58 PM
As fans we have the right to criticize when GM's make the wrong decision. You can be a Packer fan and still ridicule...or glorify...a GM's decision

At the same time, you cant support the team and call Favre an idiot without being called a Favre hater. And in Shadow's case, get told to "fuck off". Can't wait till September.

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 09:59 PM
In fact, if Rodgers can't win 3 playoff games within the next 5 years, let alone 10, he doesn't belong on this team.

To be honest I love debating this Favre stuff and enjoy rapping back and forth with a strong majority of the posters in here. Gunakor...Mailman....Vince...most in here....they are realistic enough where we can agree to disagree in a friendly matter.

But this continuous trashing of Favre and dwelling on his playoff record alone while ignoring his accomplishments IMO discredit you enough to make it hard to take your over the top views serious enough to debate.

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 09:59 PM

I can criticize the decisions our GM makes while remaining supportive of our GM himself. And it's not fair to judge TT's entire tenure as our GM on one single decision. He's made a helluva lot of good decisions that led to 13-3 last year. That can't be overlooked.

In any case, he won't get it wrong. If Favre comes back to Green Bay and starts then TT wins. If Rodgers starts and begins a new era of consistent winning then TT wins. If Favre leaves and Rodgers stinks and Brohm comes in as the savior in the coming seasons then TT wins. The only way TT loses is if Green Bay returns to the Siberia of the NFL that it was in the 70's and 80's. As stacked as he's made this team for Rodgers/Favre/Brohm/whoever, I don't see that as even a remote possibility.

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 10:00 PM

Huh??

Postseason Since 1998:

1 super bowl loss
19 touchdowns
19 interceptions
1 fumble.
3-7 record

If you want to argue that A-Rod can't lead this team to a SB win this year, I'll agree with you. But don't suggest that Rodgers can't lead this team to the playoffs. With the talent surrounding the QB on this team, I don't see how he doesn't get to the post season.

IMO AROD makes us a strong playoff contender if he stays healthy
IMO Favre makes us a strong SB contender

Reality IMO is barring injuries if we get near average play from our QB we should be in the playoff hunt and probably win the division.

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 10:01 PM

I can criticize the decisions our GM makes while remaining supportive of our GM himself. And it's not fair to judge TT's entire tenure as our GM on one single decision. He's made a helluva lot of good decisions that led to 13-3 last year. That can't be overlooked.

In any case, he won't get it wrong. If Favre comes back to Green Bay and starts then TT wins. If Rodgers starts and begins a new era of consistent winning then TT wins. If Favre leaves and Rodgers stinks and Brohm comes in as the savior in the coming seasons then TT wins. The only way TT loses is if Green Bay returns to the Siberia of the NFL that it was in the 70's and 80's. As stacked as he's made this team for Rodgers/Favre/Brohm/whoever, I don't see that as even a remote possibility.

Completely Agree

Gunakor
07-25-2008, 10:03 PM

Huh??

Postseason Since 1998:

1 super bowl loss
19 touchdowns
19 interceptions
1 fumble.
3-7 record

IMO AROD makes us a strong playoff contender if he stays healthy
IMO Favre makes us a strong SB contender

Reality IMO is barring injuries if we get near average play from our QB we should be in the playoff hunt and probably win the division.

Agreed, and to be honest with all of the offseason distractions and such there really isn't anything more I ask for from this season. Just a division win and a playoff berth. I'm happy with that. Remember, this is the beginning of a new era here. A division win and playoff appearance is a great way to get the new era underway.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 10:04 PM

To be honest I love debating this Favre stuff and enjoy rapping back and forth with a strong majority of the posters in here. Gunakor...Mailman....Vince...most in here....they are realistic enough where we can agree to disagree in a friendly matter.

But this continuous trashing of Favre and dwelling on his playoff record alone while ignoring his accomplishments IMO discredit you enough to make it hard to take your over the top views serious enough to debate.

I think his regular season achievements are fantastic. I just think that he doesn't have what it takes to get us to the SB. His past teams, were pretty good.

1998: 13-3
2001: 12-4
2002: 12-4
2003: 10-6
2004: 10-6
2007: 13-3

Average wins per year: 11.53

GBRulz
07-25-2008, 10:13 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 10:13 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The verbiage is cute, but the FACTS say otherwise.

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 10:16 PM

I think his regular season achievements are fantastic. I just think that he doesn't have what it takes to get us to the SB. His past teams, were pretty good.

I didn't mean to criticize you if it seemed like I was, but you come accross as an over the top hater when you dwell on that in bold print. It seems to be your mojo and what I recognize you by.

I'd much prefer a breakdown of the playoff losses. Without doing the research the game that I try to blackout is the Rams game...quite possibly the worst performance I've seen by a QB in the playoffs with all those INT's.

Early on, when Favre got those MVP's, we were not nearly as good as Dallas.
He seemed to play well in those lossed overall but did throw some costly INT's. Those Dallas teams were so stacked he was often trying to make a play out of nothing. Sometimes those work and sometimes not.

It's hard for me to trash him for the Phily game. Sherman was at his worst that game. The Packers dominated that game statistically and on the ground. Favre had a very very solid game until that last nightmarish throw.
But Sherman lost that game when he didn't go for it on 4th and 1. I don't even want to go back to 4th and 26; obviously that was ugly too. But what really sticks out in my mind was 4th and 1 and we punt when the Eagles DL are completely sucking wind.

The Giants game. Favre was good in half one, decent in quarter 3, and terrible in quarter 4 and OT. You can throw the hard dart at him for that game....but there are MANY darts to go around.

Green Bay got little to no pressure on Eli Manning (special thanks to Sanders)
Al Harris had a rough game to say the least
Brandon Jackson running up his OL's ass& a flipping LB makes that tackle
Ruvell Martin drops and incredibly key pass
J Bush fails to fall on the dam fumble
And the horrible horrible pass

ALL of those factors led to our terrible loss and if you modify any of them we might have been in the Super Bowl.

My overall point ? Favre has not been great or terrible in playoff games IMO

When breaking that record, it's not that telling of Favre's career.

Last, but not least, IMO Favre has the best chance of taking us back to the SB

I'm a now guy; that's why I want to see him as our QB despite the bullshit.

Chevelle2
07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
^Ill get back to you tomorrow I gotta run.

Believe it or not, I LOVE Favre, Im just ready for it to be over.

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 10:20 PM
^Ill get back to you tomorrow I gotta run.

I find it very hard to believe you to be anything but a hater

MJZiggy
07-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I have a worry. Someone please tell me I'm completely off even thinking it...but what if Favre comes back, the fans and media become a major distraction and after a couple days of it (cause we KNOW that's all it would take) Favre moves practice into the Hutson Center and closes them to press and public? He'd have a reason to do it at that point....

GBRulz
07-25-2008, 10:21 PM

LOL - I would hate to see it when there is someone you actually don't like.

GBRulz
07-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I have a worry. Someone please tell me I'm completely off even thinking it...but what if Favre comes back, the fans and media become a major distraction and after a couple days of it (cause we KNOW that's all it would take) Favre moves practice into the Hutson Center and closes them to press and public? He'd have a reason to do it at that point....

Seriously, if they start pulling that shit, the city and fans will turn on them so fast and that is something they cannot afford being a publicly owned team.

So yeah, you are completely off based on your thinking....but what's new? :lol: :P

MJZiggy
07-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Just for that, watch him do it!!

Bretsky
07-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Brewers lost
Packer frustration

Dang, I'm looking for a lesbian show :!:

GBRulz
07-25-2008, 10:30 PM
I know, right?

M3 practices indoors enough as it is. His reasoning... "To provide a constant environment." What that means, I have no clue.

MJZiggy
07-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Maybe it means an environment that is consistently unlike anything they see on the field on Sunday?

Joemailman
07-25-2008, 10:32 PM
The Packers are making plans to make big money by people showing up to practice. It won't happen.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm in a minority of about 4 people nationwide, but I don't think Favre coming to camp will be that disruptive. If McCarthy has regular contact with Favre, things can only get better, much better. IT will work out.

Jesus, if Bosnia got solved, Favre coming to training camp can be negotiated between adults. Well, between McCarthy and Favre. :lol:

bobblehead
07-26-2008, 01:39 AM
I know, right?

M3 practices indoors enough as it is. His reasoning... "To provide a constant environment." What that means, I have no clue.

that means if the game is sunny, no wind, moderate temperature, perfect field conditions we will be totally ready.....ok, my only knock on MM as a coach.

woodbuck27
07-26-2008, 02:14 AM

he is 'in control'.

Dunno, Buck last I saw, he was retired...He won't start until he does the paperwork no matter how much he desires it. And all we've heard so far are contradictions.

mj It's clear that Favre is back.

He sat and waited and he told us all. He told us a week or so ago he'd call TT 's bluff and lets see if TT airs his drawers. Through this whole thing Favre has been very straight up. The people around him couldn't keep control of their emotions. A lot of cajun Blood?

The Packer haters want Favre to disappear. He's still 'the man' mj. The Madden game anyone!! Favre still the face of the NFL. Arn't we so proud of Brett Favre.

I know the support for Favre is overwhelming in here. Real Favre fans all the way.

TT's totally out of character to move Favre to a contender and Favre won't accept a trade to a team he doesn't approve of. He's a lot like YOU or I that way mj. He choose's his employer and well why move out of the house you built when the pay and surroundings are so comfortable. Not Rocket Science mj. Reality Therapy Lady.

Favre is a Packer first. He signed a contract years ago to retire as an active player fr. the Packers. Are you forgetting that mj? You've got a superior memory in my observation mj. Right that contract runs through 2010 at least.

Favre felt we were close last season but they loaded him down too much. Favre's call. He knows his body, He knows himself.

It's obvious now to anyone following this story that Favre and TT arn't on the same page. That's always been obvious to me. Painfully so.

If he came back too soon then that allows TT more time to screw up. Favre is looking after TT who's about as swift as a glacier. Coming in from the dark on the weekend Farve keeps the press really focused on he and TT.

Will TT panic and error now. I think not. It's a little or a lot like this:

Favre.... " Want to trade me TT ?''

TT .... " well ahhh,errr,uhhh,mmmm, Brett I think so .. it might be best ahhh well ... sorry Brett..YES "

Favre..."Dangerous move Ted, any way YOU look at it. Want to go over it?"

TT...." Ahhh well errr, mmm choke choke..I'm busy now Brett.maybe later "

Hahahahahaha poor Ted. :D

woodbuck27
07-26-2008, 02:30 AM
I'm in a minority of about 4 people nationwide, but I don't think Favre coming to camp will be that disruptive. If McCarthy has regular contact with Favre, things can only get better, much better. IT will work out.

Jesus, if Bosnia got solved, Favre coming to training camp can be negotiated between adults. Well, between McCarthy and Favre. :lol:

Poor Ted . He was so close.

Just a riot for me. :D X 4

Pacopete4
07-26-2008, 03:26 AM

Pretty good teams don't win Super Bowls... if you remember right, when the Packers won the Super Bowl it was because they had the #1 defense in the league and an offense that could pound the ball down peoples throats along with a great play action passing game... we held the ball for most of the game.... in a lot of the years you just posted, we didnt have close to that and if wasn't for Favre and his talent throwing the football our team might have been pathetic... time to pull your heads out of your asses and realize what a true talent he really is...

woodbuck27
07-26-2008, 03:39 AM

He won't, and he shouldn't. The team is better off with Rodgers at QB. Favre can play his chess game by saying he will report even though he hasn't even filed for reinstatement. He may actually even report. However, I'm fairly sure the decision has been made that he won't start.

Which is the best case scenario? We snag a first round pick from the Jets or whoever? Brett quietly fades back into retirement? Or he reports, is paid his $12 million, and rides the bench/serves as insurance against a Rodgers injury?

I'd be very happy with any of those. I honestly think Brett is suggestive enough that if handled correctly, he could be content as a backup--being "one of the guys" and an enthusiastic back-slapping member of a winning team. If that happens, though, the Packers should hire armed guards to keep trouble-making media assholes far away from him with their insidious questions.

:D X 100 You missed your calling as a comedian texaspackerbacker

Aaron Rodgers over Favre to start. Gonna do a Tonya Harding on Favre Big Guy? Aaron Rodgers over Favre?? In your worst nightmares. :D

woodbuck27
07-26-2008, 03:52 AM

OK this is too simple:

Factor this into your thinking. Your a Vegas odds maker and your reputation dictates all inegrity and common sense.

Packers odds of wining a NFC Championship for the 2008 season.

a) Better or worse With Favre at Starting QB over Aaron Rodgers?

Just to be sure or make it really clear.

b) Better or worse with Aaron Rodgers at Starting QB over Brett Favre?

What did YOU discover? I see what any media outlet and newspaper sports reporter and NFL expert and well, any sensable Packer or NFL fan will see. TT will see it too. TT won't blow this one. Will he? :D

hint: FAVRE !!!!

th87
07-26-2008, 05:17 AM

OK this is too simple:

Factor this into your thinking. Your a Vegas odds maker and your reputation dictates all inegrity and common sense.

What did YOU discover? I see what any media outlet and newspaper sports reporter and NFL expert and well, any sensable Packer or NFL fan will see. TT will see it too. TT won't blow this one. Will he? :D

You know, I think I'll trust the GENERAL MANAGER of the team, whose JOB depends on making the right decision, rather than some fans who think they're GMs. That's just me.

SkinBasket
07-26-2008, 07:41 AM

The argument about who's better for the team right now aside, what is it Rodgers is "doing" that he shouldn't?Don't feed Merlin, Skin. He has hated A-Rod from day 1 and refuses to give any credit to him as it feeds into his anti-TT agenda. Don't feed the tool.

Which is why I asked the question. Seems Merlin, as usual, doesn't have answers to back up the fart bubbles floating around inside his head.

SkinBasket
07-26-2008, 07:53 AM
OK this is too simple:

You know, I think I'll trust the GENERAL MANAGER of the team, whose JOB depends on making the right decision, rather than some fans who think they're GMs. That's just me.

Don't be stupid. Woody was right about how Ted put together a 4 win team last year. How he had doomed us by not finding a RB. How he hadn't put any weapons around Favre. How he didn't sign any FAs who would help us get to the play-offs. Look how that turned out. Woody has a very solid history of being absolutely correct in his assessment of Ted Thompson and what this team does and doesn't need that it's pure insanity to challenge him.

cpk1994
07-26-2008, 08:43 AM

I'd be very happy with any of those. I honestly think Brett is suggestive enough that if handled correctly, he could be content as a backup--being "one of the guys" and an enthusiastic back-slapping member of a winning team. If that happens, though, the Packers should hire armed guards to keep trouble-making media assholes far away from him with their insidious questions.Wouldn't matter. Favre would just call them on the phone.

PlantPage55
07-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Personally, I want Brett to stay home, but how hilariously epic would this image be:

First day of training camp, cameras locked on his truck as it rolls into the parking lot.

Brett parks, exits the truck, ignores the media for a bit as he goes to the back of the truck and pulls out an individual wooden locker and carries it into the Packer facilities.

:lol:

Merlin
07-26-2008, 10:29 AM

Which is why I asked the question. Seems Merlin, as usual, doesn't have answers to back up the fart bubbles floating around inside his head.

Your responses are as expected and fit your modus operandi when the facts do not support your opinion. You resort to taking one line out of context within an entire post and then personally attack the poster because of your own jealousy, hatred, inadequacies, or just plain stupidity. Neither of you either alone or collectively have ever had an original thought, idea, or opinion, and at times it is difficult to determine who's head is shoved up who's ass. I won't sink to your level and give in to the kindergarten games you choose to embark on. I prefer to have respectful conversations with people and agree to disagree at times. I am surely not going to converse with anyone who never let's reality interfere with their logic, you can't fix stupid.

Chevelle2
07-26-2008, 10:32 AM
If Favre were serious about playing with GB, his papers would be in by now.

His papers NOT being in, tells me he and TT are working on a trade that would appease him, and Favre is waiting to approve.

Thoughts?

MJZiggy
07-26-2008, 10:40 AM
This was what I meant when I responded to Woodbuck somewhere around here about Favre being retired until he does the paperwork and all of the news being contradictory. The problem I can see so clearly brewing is that Favre shows up for camp without having submitted the papers and being cleared to play and then the Packers can't let him into camp, starting another media shitstorm.

Badgerinmaine
07-26-2008, 12:17 PM

His papers NOT being in, tells me he and TT are working on a trade that would appease him, and Favre is waiting to approve.

Thoughts?

You may be right, and at this point it may be the best outcome, especially if they deal him out of the NFC.

sheepshead
07-26-2008, 01:16 PM

Thoughts?

You may be right, and at this point it may be the best outcome, especially if they deal him out of the NFC.

This appears to be the harsh reality of the situation.

Gunakor
07-26-2008, 02:58 PM

OK this is too simple:

Well Woody, I can't really answer that right now. I haven't seen Aaron Rodgers as a starting QB yet, so I have no idea if he gives us a better chance than Favre. What I do know - and pay attention here - is that for as great of a regular season QB Favre is and has been, he has not been incredibly good in the playoffs over the last decade. He does not own the cold like he used to.

Rodgers will get us to the playoffs. And it is there that the two will be judged against one another. Can Rodgers handle the cold better than the greybeard? I don't know, but I wouldn't bet against him. In any case, do not state as fact that Favre gives us a better chance because you don't know either. You haven't seen Rodgers as a starter either, and neither of us have seen Rodgers take a snap in the postseason. So we'll see.

Gunakor
07-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Aaron Rodgers over Favre to start. Gonna do a Tonya Harding on Favre Big Guy? Aaron Rodgers over Favre?? In your worst nightmares. :D

If I'm understanding MM correctly, that is exactly what is gonna happen. Your worst nightmare maybe. Not ours. Rodgers is the starter, Favre shows up and he's NOT the starter. Straight from MM's mouth. Regardless what TT and Favre's deal is, ultimately it is MM's decision and MM's decision alone whether Favre starts if he's on the roster. And from the sounds of things, he's already made that decision publicly.

The Shadow
07-26-2008, 04:30 PM
[quote="woodbuck27"

Favre is a Packer first.[/quote]

I think Favre is strictly a Favre first.

RashanGary
07-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Favre is a Packer first.

I think Favre is strictly a Favre first.

:lol:

Understatement of the week.

Joemailman
07-26-2008, 05:09 PM

If I'm understanding MM correctly, that is exactly what is gonna happen. Your worst nightmare maybe. Not ours. Rodgers is the starter, Favre shows up and he's NOT the starter. Straight from MM's mouth. Regardless what TT and Favre's deal is, ultimately it is MM's decision and MM's decision alone whether Favre starts if he's on the roster. And from the sounds of things, he's already made that decision publicly.

It's pretty clear from MM's comments that Arod would have to play himself out of the starting job to lose it. Even if Favre were to play lights out, Arod will still be the starter as long as he doesn't completely bomb. People who want Favre on the team, and I'm one of them, will have to accept the fact that Favre will be the backup barring a serious Arod injury.

Packers4Ever
07-26-2008, 05:42 PM

Total agreement here, B.

Packers4Ever
07-26-2008, 06:05 PM
i'm not going to type up here and call people names... i'll even try not to argue with other people b/c every one has their own opinions... opinions are like armpits... everybody has them and they all stink...

first of all i think with favre the packers are a solid super bowl contender... with rodgers i think we are a solid playoff team... now obviously both senarios depend on each man staying healthy the whole year...

secondly i wish favre wouldn't have retired in march... i wish he would have come back the first time (before the draft and OTAs) when TT and MM were going to let him be the starter... and i believe if he would keep his mouth shut and show up for training camp he could beat out AR and be the starter opening day '08... and i also believe its because of his wishy/washy antics that it has come down to that...

thirdly i am ultimately a GB Packer FAN!... as of now BF is my fav. player (and i have the bobble heads, jersey, signed mini helmet, etc... to prove it)... but i'll be a Packer fan whether brett suits up for the green and gold or not... at first i wasn't too sure about TT... he made moves i didn't understand and i questioned him... then he made a couple more moves i questioned... but as far as i'm concerned he has done a hell of a job building this team and putting young playmakers around the QB position... i will trust TT in the decision he makes about this absurd BF fiasco b/c i think he has shown he deserves it...

all i know is, i want this whole ordeal to end... i'd prefer to see brett come to training camp and try and win the starting job back... if not i'd like to see him come back and be a backup/mentor... after that i'd prefer he retire... and if those three senarios don't pan out, it would be really weird watching him in another jersey throwing rockets to other recievers... does he really want to put his original fans through that?... is coming back to play another year or two worth it to him that much? its not for me to say... i'll watch whoever is under center for my GB Packers every sunday/monday/or thursday... and live and die by my green and gold!!

Nice post, BZ, welcome to PackerRats, you make a lot of sense here. It's been a long spring and summer keeping up with and worrying about the Pack but we're almost there. We have to go along with the decision that's
being made - I don't always go along with TT but basically I think he's done a great job revamping the team, pulling in a lot of great young players, Haven't seen many 'bummers' yet ! He's the boss and we have to trust he knows what he's doing.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
It's pretty clear from MM's comments that Arod would have to play himself out of the starting job to lose it. Even if Favre were to play lights out, Arod will still be the starter as long as he doesn't completely bomb. People who want Favre on the team, and I'm one of them, will have to accept the fact that Favre will be the backup barring a serious Arod injury.

I agree, the team is much better with Favre back on the team.

Sounds like the door has been slammed on that option, if Chris Mortenson-Favre can be believed.

Mortenson blames the Packers for not letting Favre compete. But on the other side, was Favre really willing to accept the backup job? Maybe the Packers are just being realistic.