View Full Version : Grant may have deal in place by Sunday

motife
07-25-2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=438211
Packers' Ryan Grant optimistic about new contract
Posted: July 25, 2008
Dennis Dillon
Sporting News

After several months of no movement in contract negotiations, the representative for Green Bay Packers running back Ryan Grant is cautiously optimistic that a new contract could be hammered out within the next day, paving the way for Grant to report for the start of training camp Sunday.

Alan Herman, Grant's agent, received a phone call midday Friday from Packers vice president of football administration Russ Ball, who told Herman the team has called the NFL for clarification on Herman's contract proposal and how it could affect Green Bay's salary cap in 2008 and future years.

Herman declined to reveal exactly what he is asking for, saying it was a performance-based contract proposal that would trigger various monies if Grant met specific performance standards. Grant was paid $310,000 in 2007—"probably the greatest bargain in the history of football," Herman said.

An obscure running back who did not play a down in his first two NFL seasons with the New York Giants, Grant authored an improbable story last season after being traded to Green Bay on Sept. 1 for a sixth-round pick in the '08 draft. He became a starter in Week 9 (the Packers' eighth game) and rushed for 956 yards and eight touchdowns on the season. He added 230 yards on 40 carries in two playoff games, establishing Packers postseason rushing records for yards (201) and touchdowns (three) in a divisional-round win over Seattle

Farley Face
07-25-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=438211
Packers' Ryan Grant optimistic about new contract
Posted: July 25, 2008
Dennis Dillon
Sporting News

After several months of no movement in contract negotiations, the representative for Green Bay Packers running back Ryan Grant is cautiously optimistic that a new contract could be hammered out within the next day, paving the way for Grant to report for the start of training camp Sunday.

Alan Herman, Grant's agent, received a phone call midday Friday from Packers vice president of football administration Russ Ball, who told Herman the team has called the NFL for clarification on Herman's contract proposal and how it could affect Green Bay's salary cap in 2008 and future years.

Herman declined to reveal exactly what he is asking for, saying it was a performance-based contract proposal that would trigger various monies if Grant met specific performance standards. Grant was paid $310,000 in 2007—"probably the greatest bargain in the history of football," Herman said.

An obscure running back who did not play a down in his first two NFL seasons with the New York Giants, Grant authored an improbable story last season after being traded to Green Bay on Sept. 1 for a sixth-round pick in the '08 draft. He became a starter in Week 9 (the Packers' eighth game) and rushed for 956 yards and eight touchdowns on the season. He added 230 yards on 40 carries in two playoff games, establishing Packers postseason rushing records for yards (201) and touchdowns (three) in a divisional-round win over Seattle

This is encouraging. I seem to be in the minority but I'd like him in camp from the get go.

pbmax
07-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Given Tom Brady, Kurt Warner and the fact that the NFL draft used to go 12 rounds, I seriously doubt this. But I know what he means and I'm happy he might be coming soon.

Grant was paid $310,000 in 2007—"probably the greatest bargain in the history of football," Herman said.

Badgerinmaine
07-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Given Tom Brady, Kurt Warner and the fact that the NFL draft used to go 12 rounds, I seriously doubt this. But I know what he means and I'm happy he might be coming soon.

if you go back far enough, it went even more...Bart Starr was a 17th round pick in a draft that went 30 rounds in 1956 (lot fewer teams back then, of course).

I'd be very happy to see Grant's contract settled soon.

Joemailman
07-25-2008, 08:44 PM
There will be no big delay getting Grant signed. If TT values a guy, he gets him signed. If he wasn't prepared to pay the necessary money to sign Grant, he would have traded him before the draft.

bobblehead
07-26-2008, 01:45 AM

Grant was paid $310,000 in 2007—"probably the greatest bargain in the history of football," Herman said.

You beat me to it, when I read that i was about to make a remark about agents who don't overstate things and bring up brady...but i do hope they get something fair to him and the team worked out.

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2008, 02:02 AM
I"m not turned off by the agent's statement. That's what he's supposed to do. An incentive based contract seems like a win-win for both sides. Actually, all contracts should be at least partially incentive based.

mmmdk
07-26-2008, 02:06 AM
Grant with a signed contract would be great news..eventually!