PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy: Favre's days as our starting QB are over

Brando19
07-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy says even he doesn't know how the Brett Favre unretirement saga will play out over the next few days. But he does know this: Aaron Rodgers is his starting quarterback.

In his season-opening news conference at Lambeau Field on Saturday, McCarthy made a firm commitment to Rodgers and reiterated that the team committed to moving forward after Favre retired in March.

McCarthy acknowledged the possibility that Favre, who is having serious second thoughts about his football future, could report to training camp with the rest of the team and even be in uniform for their first practice Monday morning. But he'll have to file for reinstatement with the league first, then pass a physical.

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy says even he doesn't know how the Brett Favre unretirement saga will play out over the next few days. But he does know this: Aaron Rodgers is his starting quarterback.

The NFL Network reported Friday morning that Favre told Packers general manager Ted Thompson he plans to report to training camp and could file his reinstatement letter as early as Friday, a move perhaps designed to force the team to quickly trade the three-time MVP.

Speculation on a potential new home for Favre has centered on Tampa Bay, but the New York Jets also are emerging as a potential trade partner for the Packers. Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said Friday that general manager Mike Tannenbaum told him the team has talked to the Packers about Favre.

It didn't sound like Tannenbaum assured Pennington that the Jets aren't interested.

"Bottom line, an organization has to take a look at every player available in this league. Period," Pennington said. "A general manager and a head coach is going to do everything they can do to make their team as good as they can make it. That's their job."

Tannenbaum would not confirm conversations with the Packers.

Pennington, who already is competing with Kellen Clemens for the starting job in Jets camp, said he wasn't overreacting to the Jets' potential trade for Favre.

"My whole focus is on this camp," Pennington said. "Winning this starting quarterback battle, so I don't really have any thoughts. It's part of the business: speculation, calls, one organization calling another about players. There's nothing to be said. As a player, you never react until it's actually done."

Earlier Friday, Jets coach Eric Mangini dodged questions about the team's interest in Favre.

"I'm happy with the quarterbacks we have and we look at a lot of different scenarios every night," Mangini said. "And trust me when I tell you that we look into a lot of different scenarios every night. It's just normal operating procedure for us."

That's just about the only thing normal in the ongoing saga surrounding Favre's football future. And if he follows through with his intention to show up to camp, Favre would likely become an even bigger distraction to a team that's spent the past several offseasons dealing with his constant waffling on whether to retire.

The Packers committed to moving on with Aaron Rodgers after Favre retired in early March, led them to believe he was coming back in late March, then decided to stay retired -- until he apparently changed his mind once again in recent weeks.

In an interview with Fox News last week, Favre said it was "tempting" to show up to Packers camp to call the Packers' "bluff."

But, Favre added: "I don't want to go back there just to stick it to them."

Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy reiterated Thursday that if Favre were to return to the Packers, it would be in "a different role" -- presumably not as the starter.

"But what's going to happen if that occurs, we'll have to look and see the situation at the time," Murphy said, speaking with reporters after Thursday's Packers shareholders meeting. "That's a little bit of a technicality. But I guess there's two questions. We have said we would welcome him back. But whether he will come back is another question. And a lot of it goes back to, we want to work with Brett, and be fair to him and help give him what he wants,"

Once Favre's request to be reinstated is approved by the commissioner, the Packers must place him on their active roster or release him. Thompson has said the team has no plans to release Favre.

The Packers have filed tampering charges against the Minnesota Vikings, suspecting that interest from their division rival was the main reason Favre suddenly changed his mind on retirement.

Favre's rights belong to the Packers until his contract expires after the 2010 season.

Favre ripped Thompson during the interview for being untruthful with him on a series of personnel moves in recent years. But Murphy said Thursday he didn't think a potential return by Favre would cause tension within the team.

"I don't think so," Murphy said. "We have such respect for Brett and what he's meant to this organization, there will be no tension. But that's a call that Ted and Mike have to make."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/07/26/bc.fbn.favre.packers.ap/index.html

Brando19
07-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Other notes from MM press conference http://www.packers.com/news/blogs/packerscom_blog/

Head Coach Mike McCarthy did not have any update on the situation with Brett Favre on Saturday, except to say that neither he, the organization, nor the league office has received confirmation from Favre that he plans to report to training camp on Sunday.

McCarthy did not get into too many hypotheticals, but he did say that if Favre applies for reinstatement and reports to camp, he would need to pass his physical and an additional workout and would then join the team on the practice field. He did not divulge any plan for giving Favre practice snaps as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

"Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. I’ve stated it over and over again, and I hope we can understand that," McCarthy said. "That’s where I am as head coach of the Green Bay Packers."

Other comments from McCarthy’s season-opening press conference:

(on Favre’s retirement)
"We’ve moved on since Day 1, March 17 (the start of the offseason program), and that’s as a football team. We’ve been preparing every member of our football team to move forward."

"It’s time to coach. That’s where I’m at."

(on having spoken to Rodgers two or three times in the past several weeks)
"He knows where we stand. This is a great opportunity for him, and he has the full support of the organization."

(on his message to the team Sunday)
"I want them to focus on how confident and strong we felt as a football team when we walked out those doors June 19 (at the conclusion of mini-camp)."

"I can’t ask anything more than the football team has given us in the offseason program. We asked for more time and more commitment, and we were able to hit those targets. On June 19, everyone felt great about our football team, and when we get together tomorrow, we have to pick up from there."

(on Ryan Grant’s contract situation)
"I am concerned, because missing OTAs is different than missing training camp practices. Both sides are working diligently to get this business matter resolved. I’m hopeful we’ll get it resolved here soon."

McCarthy also noted that Johnny Jolly’s legal issue in Houston will not prevent him from reporting to camp on Sunday, though Jolly could be limited in practice initially due to his recovery from shoulder surgery.

Among other injured players, McCarthy said Justin Harrell (back) would probably be week-to-week, but he didn’t foresee any problems with Colin Cole (forearm), Will Blackmon (foot) and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee) being able to practice. All players will be taking physicals on Sunday.

mmmdk
07-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Respect to McCarthy; I'm joining the Mike III bandwagon :D

mmmdk
07-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Quote from McCarthy:

Awesome; made my day! :D

RashanGary
07-26-2008, 01:42 PM
* McCarthy hedged quite a bit when pressed about what will happen if Favre shows up, but it sounds like the quarterback would have to pass a physical, then spend some time working on the side with the rehab group before he would be cleared to practice. If he gets through that, he could practice. McCarthy wouldn't directly address those hypotheticals, though, noting repeatedly that Favre first must apply for reinstatement. Favre still hasn't told McCarthy "specifically" that he's 100 percent sure he'll play this season, nor that he'll report.

This is kind of what I was hoping for. They can keep him in the Don Hutson Center for about a week or three to work him into shape. This keeps him away from the team and away from the offense. Then when the team feels he's ready "hopefully never" They can trot him out there. TC is only a few weeks long so hopefully they can stall enough to get him on another team.

RashanGary
07-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Last year the Patriots dealt week in and week out with the spygate drama. Players were called cheaters, Moss had assult charges filed and through all of it the team just binded together and fought adversity. I didn't want Brett to show up, but now I want him to do it to prove the Packers aren't going to flinch. Also, I don't think it will tear them apart. I think it will help them learn to deal with adversity and show them how not to act if you have success in your career.

They can give him his own room without a roomate and his own lockerroom away from the team like he used to have and his old parking spot "away from the team". This could work out quite well for everyone.

Brando19
07-26-2008, 01:48 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

* Players are required to report by 7:30 a.m. Sunday. They'll undergo physicals in the morning, have an administrative meeting in the afternoon and a football meeting at night. The first practice is at 8:45 a.m. Monday.

* GM Ted Thompson will make the first of his weekly media addresses Monday afternoon.

Now, here's what Packers coach Mike McCarthy is saying in his pre-camp media conference ...

* On Brett Favre: "I really don't have anything to update, as far as where he is."

* If Favre shows up: "The first step is reinstatement, and the second is he would be a part of his 80-man roster, and we'll go from there."

* There have been conversations between Favre and Ted Thompson, but he has not confirmed he is coming to training camp.

* He talked to Favre "for quite awhile" at last week's Packers Hall of Fame banquet. They texted yesterday, but nothing substantive.

* "Aaron Rodgers is the starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers." He's a little annoyed answering the question.

* On when he knew it was Rodgers' team, he says of Favre: "Thinking and committing are two different scenarios, and we've moved forward as a football team."

* On trade talks with Jets and Bucs: "Those are not conversations for me. ... We never talk about trade talks, potential player acquisitions or anything. ... Right now the options are clear, and right now, I'm getting ready to coach the 80 guys on our roster."

* Favre ever said 100 percent committed and will play? "Not specifically as you just stated. I think he's going through a lot, as far as making his decision. ... I'm not here to speak for Brett Favre."

* He jokes about watching ESPN all summer. "I'm trying to get you off my butt here."

* How much spoke with Aaron Rodgers: "I've spoken with Aaron a couple times ... two, three times. ... He knows where we stand. It's a great opportunity for him, and he has the full support of the organization."

* Who gives better chance to win in 2008: Avoids question, says it's more complicated than that.

* On what he'll tell the team: "The first thing I want to remind them is how confident and how strong we felt as a team when we walked out those doors ... June 19. ... I will address the Brett Favre situation with the football team."

* On how hard to keep from being a distraction if Favre shows: "It'll be a challenge, there's no doubt about it." Never experienced anything like it. "I promise you we'll have a plan for it."

* Just talked to Al Harris, said did good job with his media appearances addressing Favre. Concerned about difference of opinion in locker room? "I don't think it's the huge concern, because it will not be the first time" there's been a disagreement. Communication is key. "It will be discussed. The direction will be made clear to everybody, and then everybody will be held accountable to move in that direction. It's as simple as that."

* Timetable for final resolution? "I do not have an answer for you."

* No concrete plans for reps if Favre shows, but it's been discussed. Note: We are 11+ minutes in, and all questions have been about Favre.

* This process been draining? "It's part of my job responsibility." Doesn't like talking on phone that much, but that's the way it is.

* Tailoring offense to Rodgers' strengths isn't the big factor in not wanting Favre back.

* If Favre is reinstated and passes physical, they'll "evaluate where he is" physically, put him in rehab program, etc. Favre has not worked out with API. Concerned about condition? "He's genetically gifted. ... That's something I'd wait to have an opinion on."

* His recollection of June 20 talk with Favre is different than Favre's. Wasn't confirmed he wanted to come back. "It's a process that none of us wanted to go through, but it's never easy ... it's not like Brett Favre called me up and I said "No, you can't play."

* He offers $50 for a question not about Favre. He gets another question about Favre.

* On Johnny Jolly: He's going through rehab. Doesn't have anything to report on legal issue. Court date Tuesday was postponed. He says he hopes the $50 thing doesn't violate the gambling policy. He was quite clearly joking about it.

* Team hit targets through offseason, even with extra work because of condensed training camp schedule. On excitement for camp: "Can't happen soon enough."

* Did Favre stuff take by surprise? "It's gone on so long for me personally, so I can't really call it by surprise. ... The way it's gone has been disappointing. ... I don't think this is necessary, why we're here today ..."

* On Ryan Grant being unsigned: "I am concerned, because missing OTAs is a lot different than missing training-camp practices." Both sides are working diligently. "I'm hopeful we'll get it resolved here soon." Has not seen Grant, doesn't know if he's in town.

* Safe to say if Favre shows, he'll be in uniform and will practice. "That's probably a good approach, yeah."

* On Brian Brohm: He was holding the ball a lot in offseason practices, but it was part of the learning process. Never had a rookie QB pick up the mental side as quickly. "He just needs reps like every young quarterback."

* On whether Jolly will report: "Johnny will report tomorrow, is my understanding." Physically, they'll probably be smart with him because of his shoulder injury.

* On Justin Harrell: "He's not ready yet." He'll be week-to-week. That does not sound good.

* On reps for rookies if Favre shows: "I'm not there yet." It's a hypothetical, he would have to work through it.

* On whether Favre's locker still in place: "There's a locker there." Doesn't think it got shipped.

* Harrell on PUP? "I'll know more tomorrow." Saw him yesterday, talked to Dr. Pat McKenzie briefly. McKenzie said he'd be week-to-week.

* On other injured guys: Cole probably fine. Blackmon ready to go. KGB was running Thursday in SwimEx, looks ready to go.

* On Favre ripping Thompson on national TV: Will keep taking high road.

* This is biggest challenge faced. "Time, committment of time. It's about winning football games. There's been a large time committment to this."

* Any chance Favre would be QB again? "You never say ever. Once again, he's on reserve/retired, and if he (applies), he'll be a part of our roster. That's about as far as we can go."

* Anything would do different with Favre? "We've talked about a number of times doing an autopsy of this situation, because I think there are so many lessons to learn from this." Communication must be looked at -- potential problem. "There's no script for this. ... I think as an organization ... we've handled it the right way in terms of doing the right thing for the Green Bay Packers and (respecting) Brett Favre and his career."

* Think fans are understanding Packers' direction, and how much matter? "I know if I was a fan on the outside looking in, you don't have all the facts. ... I just hope they respect the fact that we're going about this in the positive manner ... with the Packers' best interests at hand. ... They can disagree. That's OK. I'm not going to sit here and say I've made every decision that's correct. ... I respect their passion. I respect everything about our fans; there's nothing like them."

* Fair to say direction of team tailored to Rodgers, if not offense? "Moving forward as a football team is really the identity of the football team. Brett Favre's had an incredible career. ... The football team has moved forward with the emphasis on defense, because that's what I believe in. ... The defense will be our starting point." It's nothing new, but he looks for defense to do more, step forward. That carries over to special teams. Offense is third part.

* Think Rodgers sitting a fourth year would damage pysche or ability to keep? All practical concerns. Direction and committment, not concerned.

* Thompson as supervisor, did he order to go with Rodgers? "The only thing I've ever been ordered to do ... is come to these press conferences. We're 100 percent committed to Aaron."

boiga
07-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I agree about McCarthy being awesome and all, but it almost seems that McCarthy is more pissed at Brett than Ted is. He didn't mention Brett at all in his speech to the shareholders, he isn't willing to even consider Brett starting for the Packers again, and is the only one from the Packers who openly called Brett out about throwing Campen under the bus.

I wonder if that's going to be the biggest schism on the team if Brett tries to remain a Packer. After all, it is ultimately McCarthy's decision who starts, not Thompson's. But could people become McCarthy haters over Brett? He's so much more likable then Ted after all.

RashanGary
07-26-2008, 01:58 PM
No, I don't think they'll become McCarthy haters. It's nice to see McCarthy speakign out. He's a strong, charismatic voice. I understand where Thompson is coming from, but many pepole can't relate. People can relate to McCArthy so it's good to have him up there. As TC goes on and people see Rodgers in preseason adn then in the season I think this will all go away. It's adversity, but some of the greatest teams overcame the most of it. Bring Brett on. I'm ready after hearing MM.

BF4MVP
07-26-2008, 02:01 PM
I thought I recalled McCarthy saying "never say never" when asked if there was a chance that Brett could be the starter again..Although he did say over and over that Aaron Rodgers is the starter..

I guess I was mistaken..

Chevelle2
07-26-2008, 02:02 PM
No you were right, he did say that. Just taking the high road, IMO.

boiga
07-26-2008, 02:04 PM
No , you weren't mistaken, it's just that it seems he considers that bridge crossed. If he wanted Brett to start, he'd say that brett was working out with the first team on monday. He didn't do that, just kept talking up Rodgers and begging for more diverse question.

He can't preclude the possibility, but McCarthy's seems to have given up on Brett as a Packer more than anyone.

Then again, these are just my observations, so don't take me too seriously.

Edit: other interesting notes:
-Jolly's in rehab, great.
-McCarthy agrees that we really need Grant in camp on monday.

bobblehead
07-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Quote from McCarthy:

I became a huge MM fan the day after the dallas game last year. It was my favorite quote I can remember....something like this:

I don't care where we play them. We'll play them in the parking lot for all I care.

Classic!!

Chevelle2
07-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Quote from McCarthy:

I became a huge MM fan the day after the dallas game last year. It was my favorite quote I can remember....something like this:

I don't care where we play them. We'll play them in the parking lot for all I care.

Classic!!

I'd take this football team anywhere. I'm not concerned with what this games means. Not at all. We'll play anybody. And I think we've proven that. We'll play them in a parking lot, or in Dallas, Texas. It doesn't matter;"

Kiwon
07-26-2008, 06:21 PM
I may have had it wrong but I thought the general message from TT was that Brett was welcome to come back and compete for the starting job.

However, MM's "we've moved on" as an organization message is now clearly augmented with "Rodgers is our starting quarterback."

So did the Packers' message change during the last few weeks or was I mistaken to believe that Brett was publicly invited back to compete for the starting job?

boiga
07-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Not exactly. What TT said was the Brett would be welcome to come back and that the Packers would be a better team with him on the roster. However, if he comes back, it would have to be with the understanding that "his role has changed."

Ted never exactly clarified what that meant. They have been explicit in not ruling out the possibility that he could start. However, they also leave the door open to his being the back up, and have never mentioned what kind of competition they might allow between him and Rodgers.

Their stance is, "Come on back, we'll figure out what to do with you when you're on the roster."

motife
07-26-2008, 06:38 PM
the questions and answers were very good:

(After reinstatement and then a physical, what comes next?)
If we get to that point, number one. See what kind of shape he is in, just like you do with any player that you haven't seen in a while. See what kind of shape he is in; we haven't seen Brett since the last game. I saw him Saturday night. He looks good; he looks like he is in good shape. We'll have some type of workout for him. We'd have to evaluate where he is.

(So you might have a workout, and then what?)
We have a program for that. Maybe one or two options; put him through the individual part of it, put him in the rehab or prehab program. We'd have to see what kind of shape he is in first.

(Do you know if Brett has been working out with the same people he did in the past?)
API? My understanding is he has not.

Would there be any concern about his conditioning?)
He is obviously genetically gifted. I don't think anybody can deny that. That's something I would wait to have an opinion on.

(How difficult was it for you to tell Brett that the team was moving on?)
My recollection of that conversation and his is a little different, but things that were said in that conversation were number one, in the best interest of the football team. To me, when I talked to Brett on June 20, it still wasn't confirmed that he wanted to come back, that he was 100 percent. That's really the essence of the conversation that was important to me. I know we talked for a long time. I know it's been tough on him. It's a process that none of us wanted to go through. It's not like Brett Favre called me up and I said, 'No way, you can't come back.' That wasn't the case.

(If a player goes on national television and basically calls his boss a liar, how do you deal with that?)
Just how we're dealing with it today, and how we've dealt with it since Day 1. We've taken the high road, for as difficult as it's been at times, that's where we are as an organization. That's where Mark Murphy is based on his communication, that's where Ted Thompson is, and that's where I am.

(Is this the toughest thing you have had to deal with as a coach?)
Yeah, I'd say so. I think that would be accurate.

(In what way?)
Time. Commitment of time. It's about winning football games, and there's been a large time commitment to this.

Is there any chance that Brett will be the starting quarterback for the Packers again?)
You never say never. Once again, he's on reserve/retired, and if he reinstates he'll be a part of our roster. That's about as far as really we can go.

(Aaron has been patient, waiting for his turn, so do you think it would damage his development to sit another year and make it harder for the team to re-sign him?)
Those are all very practical concerns, but because of the direction and the commitment we've made to Aaron and the direction this 2008 football team is going, it's something I'm not concerned about.

(Ted is your boss; did he order you to go with Aaron as your starting quarterback, or did he defer to your quarterback expertise and allow you to make that call?)
I'll say this ... the only thing I've ever been ordered to do as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers is to come to these press conferences, and that's the truth. We're 100 percent committed to Aaron..

(Do you feel that the team has handled this properly or do you think mistakes have been made along the way?)
I think that's a great question. We've talked about a number of times doing an autopsy of this situation, because I think there are so many lessons to learn from this. I think the first aspect you have to look closely at is communication. Usually when you have problems and things get to the point that we're in right now, it's potentially a problem. All those things will be looked at. There is no script for this, because if there is one, we would have found it already. But I'll just say this. I think as an organization, and the people involved in the organization, I think we've handled it the right way based on doing what's best for the Green Bay Packers, and also respecting Brett Favre and his career here. That has been a challenge.

(Are you concerned at all that the relationship will be adversarial now in the future?)
Well, it takes two sides to every relationship. I know how the Green Bay Packers feel, and they're very strong as far as their commitment to people that work here, the traditions of the Green Bay Packers, and the legacies of the players who have played here. I know there's a very strong respect and willingness to continue that relationship.

RashanGary
07-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Not exactly. What TT said was the Brett would be welcome to come back and that the Packers would be a better team with him on the roster. However, if he comes back, it would have to be with the understanding that "his role has changed."

Ted never exactly clarified what that meant. They have been explicit in not ruling out the possibility that he could start. However, they also leave the door open to his being the back up, and have never mentioned what kind of competition they might allow between him and Rodgers.

Their stance is, "Come on back, we'll figure out what to do with you when you're on the roster."

Yep. Sounds like they'll have him working with the training staff for a little while. That's certainly a different role.

Kiwon
07-26-2008, 07:15 PM

Thanks, boiga. Good post.

Partial
07-26-2008, 07:49 PM
* McCarthy hedged quite a bit when pressed about what will happen if Favre shows up, but it sounds like the quarterback would have to pass a physical, then spend some time working on the side with the rehab group before he would be cleared to practice. If he gets through that, he could practice. McCarthy wouldn't directly address those hypotheticals, though, noting repeatedly that Favre first must apply for reinstatement. Favre still hasn't told McCarthy "specifically" that he's 100 percent sure he'll play this season, nor that he'll report.

This is kind of what I was hoping for. They can keep him in the Don Hutson Center for about a week or three to work him into shape. This keeps him away from the team and away from the offense. Then when the team feels he's ready "hopefully never" They can trot him out there. TC is only a few weeks long so hopefully they can stall enough to get him on another team.

I personally hope that the Packers are practicing outside and Favre deliberating overshoots a receiver and drills you square in the dome with a heater. Maybe it would knock some sense into you.

I don't think I've met anyone who has such a lack of respect for one of the greatest players ever. It would almost be worth it to see the Packers fail miserably and have A-Rod put up at 45.0 rating while Favre guides a team to the playoffs just to see you leave this place in shame.

PackerBlues
07-26-2008, 07:55 PM

I personally hope that the Packers are practicing outside and Favre deliberating overshoots a receiver and drills you square in the dome with a heater. Maybe it would knock some sense into you.

I don't think I've met anyone who has such a lack of respect for one of the greatest players ever. It would almost be worth it to see the Packers fail miserably and have A-Rod put up at 45.0 rating while Favre guides a team to the playoffs just to see you leave this place in shame.

Partial <-----------What he said. :worship:

alquaal
07-26-2008, 09:08 PM
"I personally hope that the Packers are practicing outside and Favre deliberating overshoots a receiver and drills you square in the dome with a heater. Maybe it would knock some sense into you. "

I know this wasn't aimed at me but I do agree with JustinHarrell. I will be at several practices this TC but I aint too scared. I will be wearing a Packers jersey. I'll be plenty safe from Favre fastballs ( in the incredibley unlikely circumstance that he would actually be there). A Giants jersey? Not so much.

RashanGary
07-26-2008, 09:14 PM
What's up Aqual, I'm from Iron MOuntain. . . NOt too far for your home town.

Zool
07-26-2008, 09:17 PM

Partial <-----------What he said. :worship:

This should give you some perspective P.

Packerarcher
07-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Partial,you have to remember not only is JH an idiot he is a bandwagon packer fan that jumped on in the last 4 or 5 years. In that extensive time as a "fan" he has become more knowledgeable than any coach or analyst.

Bretsky
07-26-2008, 09:56 PM
READ HIS QUOTE ABOUT J HARRELL

Has to be a concern

He's not there yet; we'll take it week to week. Does not sound promising

Deputy Nutz
07-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I hope McCarthy realizes the pressure that he is putting on Rodgers when he keeps announcing him the as the "Starting Quarterback no matter what happens".

The Packers plan on trading Favre, bottom line. I hope it is to the Jets, because I think a Favre Jets Jersey would be pretty cool looking.

This whole situation sucks, On one side you have Favre, who technically never lost his job as the starting QB. Rodgers certainly never beat him out of the position.

On the other hand, Favre quit. He pretended to hang up his helmet and cleats. The Packers had to turn over the football team to Rodgers.

Has anyone cared to ask Rodgers how he feels about being given the starting job without having to compete for it? Here is where the pressure comes in, if his play doesn't back it up, not only is he fucked, but McCarthy and Thompson will be stoned by the same people that have switched to their side in the Packers verse Brett Favre. Mark my words, this franchise as we know it now rests completely on Aaron Rodgers' shoulders.

Lastly, if Favre wants to play football the Packers need to do the honorable thing and let him play. If Favre just wants to play football he should have no problems going to the Jets. I don't like it one bit that the Packers are trying to sit on Favre. He deserves better than that even after that god awful interview with Greta.

gex
07-26-2008, 11:51 PM
I hope McCarthy realizes the pressure that he is putting on Rodgers when he keeps announcing him the as the "Starting Quarterback no matter what happens".

The Packers plan on trading Favre, bottom line. I hope it is to the Jets, because I think a Favre Jets Jersey would be pretty cool looking.

This whole situation sucks, On one side you have Favre, who technically never lost his job as the starting QB. Rodgers certainly never beat him out of the position.

On the other hand, Favre quit. He pretended to hang up his helmet and cleats. The Packers had to turn over the football team to Rodgers.

Has anyone cared to ask Rodgers how he feels about being given the starting job without having to compete for it? Here is where the pressure comes in, if his play doesn't back it up, not only is he fucked, but McCarthy and Thompson will be stoned by the same people that have switched to their side in the Packers verse Brett Favre. Mark my words, this franchise as we know it now rests completely on Aaron Rodgers' shoulders.

Lastly, if Favre wants to play football the Packers need to do the honorable thing and let him play. If Favre just wants to play football he should have no problems going to the Jets. I don't like it one bit that the Packers are trying to sit on Favre. He deserves better than that even after that god awful interview with Greta.

Excellent post and very good perspective.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 12:04 AM

The one tiny little point that you're missing in all of this is that it's Favre's move in the chess match, not the team's. IF Favre wants to play is looking like a big if because his actions don't back up his words. The Packers aren't trying to do anything with him (except give the Jets permission to talk to him). There's no sitting on him going on.

Jimx29
07-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Post #1

Post #2

I looked high and hard at both of your first two posts and i'm not seeing anywhere where coach said anything at all like "Favre's days as our starting quarterback are over"

Why would you have that in the thread title? Are ya practicing writing for espn? :?:

Tarlam!
07-27-2008, 01:46 AM
It would almost be worth it to see the Packers fail miserably and have A-Rod put up at 45.0 rating while Favre guides a team to the playoffs just to see you leave this place in shame.

Partial, IMO it would never be worth it to see a Packer player or Packer team fail for any reason.

I also think you need to be more careful in calling for posters to leave this place, because you might find yourself at the wrong end of this practice sooner than you expect if your example becomes the norm around here.

Nick/JH has always had this stance towards Favre, but he doesn't try and consciously provoke the forum as Tank does. I see no need to call for anyone else's head around here. Tank deserved what he got.

P, I like you, but I have met you personally and we've had some one on one hang time. You don't always come across in your posts as you are in real life. People that have never met you can only go by your forum persona.

Just some friendly observations from your Aussie buddy.

Tarlam!
07-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Partial,you have to remember not only is JH an idiot he is a bandwagon packer fan that jumped on in the last 4 or 5 years.

I guess that makes me a band-wagoner, too, because I am a relative "babe" of a Pack-Fan.

Please advise me, oh true Packer Fan, what baptism we unworthy band-wagoners must absolve before we, too, are allowed to have and share opinions.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 08:43 PM

The one tiny little point that you're missing in all of this is that it's Favre's move in the chess match, not the team's. IF Favre wants to play is looking like a big if because his actions don't back up his words. The Packers aren't trying to do anything with him (except give the Jets permission to talk to him). There's no sitting on him going on.

They are, you can't tell someone that you won't let them in the door to play for the Packers, but yet not release him or trade him. If he doesn't want to play for the Jets or Tampa, thats on him, not the Packers, I am just saying that he deserves to play football in the NFL.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 08:46 PM
I am just saying that he deserves to play football in the NFL.

Yep and you shouldn't even be saying it because it's well documented that TT contacted most of the league looking for a trade. It's a non issue.

VegasPackFan
07-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Partial,you have to remember not only is JH an idiot he is a bandwagon packer fan that jumped on in the last 4 or 5 years.

I guess that makes me a band-wagoner, too, because I am a relative "babe" of a Pack-Fan.

Please advise me, oh true Packer Fan, what baptism we unworthy band-wagoners must absolve before we, too, are allowed to have and share opinions.

20+ years of totally sucky and frustrating football.

VegasPackFan
07-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Just kidding, by the way ^^^^^

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 08:53 PM
On one side you have Favre, who technically never lost his job as the starting QB. Rodgers certainly never beat him out of the position.

Holy moses. Who can retire from a job, have the employer retool the organization around the replacement, then demand their old job back?

Nutz, I didn't realize you were such a Favre pole smoker. You have inhaled too deeply.

If Favre just wants to play football he should have no problems going to the Jets. I don't like it one bit that the Packers are trying to sit on Favre.

You are very ill informed. Favre has already sneered at playing for the Jets.
Favre is raising a public stink in hopes of pressuring TT into releasing him.

But thank you for playing.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Double Post

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 09:00 PM
HH, I don't even think he read the things Favre said today

He's sitting here arguing the "Free Favre" point when Brett FAvre said himself that he's not accepting the trades on the table.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 09:01 PM
On one side you have Favre, who technically never lost his job as the starting QB. Rodgers certainly never beat him out of the position.

Holy moses. Who can retire from a job, have the employer retool the organization around the replacement, then demand their old job back?

Nutz, I didn't realize you were such a Favre pole smoker. You have inhaled too deeply.

If Favre just wants to play football he should have no problems going to the Jets. I don't like it one bit that the Packers are trying to sit on Favre.

You are very ill informed. Favre has already sneered at playing for the Jets.
Favre is raising a public stink in hopes of pressuring TT into releasing him.

But thank you for playing.

Well then I guess it is on Favre then. Like I said, if it is only about playing football than Favre should have no problems playing for the Jets. I guess he has a problem with it.

What didn't I say that you don't understand?

In detail please explain to me how the Packers retooled their franchise due to the retirement of Brett Favre? Drafting a QB they should have drafted regardless? Come on explain to me the secret offense McCarthy has built around Aaron Rodgers. Please I am dying to know!!!

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 09:03 PM
HH, I don't even think he read the things Favre said today

He's sitting here arguing the "Free Favre" point when Brett FAvre said himself that he's not accepting the trades on the table.

Actually, if either of you two could read a post correctly you wouldn't be fucking idiots, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 09:05 PM

I think its a question of personal loyalty. People who are Favre sentimentalists hear only what they want to hear.

Normally sane people like Bretsky are waging a "Let Favre Play" campaign. Never mind that what Favre is actually angling for is to get out of his contract. IF he just wanted to play, it could have happened weeks ago.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 09:06 PM
How about promising his team taht this year would be about them and not about one player. How patting his defense on the back and telling them this will be their year to stand out. HOw abotu telling his ST's that this is the year they get to step up and prove that they can win as a "TEAM". How abotu telling the WR's and RB's that it's not going to be Brett making them what they are, but this year it's going to be about them.

It's all a big step forward for this TEAM. This TEAM that has worked their asses off and kicked ass last year. This TEAM that has been undersold and underappreciated because one player constantly hogged the spotlight with diva like offseason dramas and idiotic game losing plays in big games that everyone always chaulks up to "brett's shitty surroudning cast".

They made a promise to the TEAM that they were going to move forward. This isn't about Aaron Rodgers. This is about the OL that have been tossed under the bus. This is about the WR's that have been told they were nothing without Favre and told that they were not enough by FAvre. This is about the RB's who are told they can't do it without FAvre. This is about a guy who doesn't give a shit about the team finally leaving. This is a great day that is made an awful day by the public who doesn't realize what goes on behind closed doors. This is about "moving forward" as a team and as much as the Favre knob bobbers want to believe FAvre is some golden god, I think that team is more than ready to move on. He's not a good teammate.

This is about the team. This is about the Packers.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 09:10 PM
In detail please explain to me how the Packers retooled their franchise due to the retirement of Brett Favre? Drafting a QB they should have drafted regardless? Come on explain to me the secret offense McCarthy has built around Aaron Rodgers. Please I am dying to know!!!

I think this has more to do with the psychology of the team than X and O's. McGinn layed this out pretty well:

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=13397

I expect the Packers have several reasons for preferring Rodgers. Among them, the fact that Favre has been acting very unstabley.

I don't know if MM & TT made the best decision, it might have been wiser to take FAvre back. But I certainly respect that they thought about it carefully, and have their reasons for sticking their necks out.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 09:14 PM
How about promising his team taht this year would be about them and not about one player. How patting his defense on the back and telling them this will be their year to stand out. HOw abotu telling his ST's that this is the year they get to step up and prove that they can win as a "TEAM". How abotu telling the WR's and RB's that it's not going to be Brett making them what they are, but this year it's going to be about them.

It's all a big step forward for this TEAM. This TEAM that has worked their asses off and kicked ass last year. This TEAM that has been undersold and underappreciated because one player constantly hogged the spotlight with diva like offseason dramas and idiotic game losing plays in big games that everyone always chaulks up to "brett's shitty surroudning cast".

They made a promise to the TEAM that they were going to move forward. This isn't about Aaron Rodgers. This is about the OL that have been tossed under the bus. This is about the WR's that have been told they were nothing without Favre and told that they were not enough by FAvre. This is about the RB's who are told they can't do it without FAvre. This is about a guy who doesn't give a shit about the team finally leaving. This is a great day that is made an awful day by the public who doesn't realize what goes on behind closed doors.

You are so full of shit it squirts out of your nose. You rant about TEAM!!! How many football teams have you played on? How many times have you layed out a would be tackler that allows the running back to score, yet you get no recognition for it? Your name doesn't show up in the paper, you are not the one quoted, but oh that little shit running back that can't take one hit without fumbling is king for the day. He gets fucked at the party that night, mean while you are in the trainers room packed in ice.

Above is reality. Rodgers will now become the attention whore in Green Bay whether he likes it or not. Thats football you dumb ass. That is how it has alway been, and always will be.

The media and the attention will always surround the best players, especially in football, Favre has been the best player in Green Bay since 1996, thats just the way it is.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 09:17 PM
McCarthy has said this is about the team and this is what's best for the Packers. Take that however you want. Brett's no longer a team guy. He's a me guy. You don't want to see it, so you won't. McCarthy knows more about what is best for this team than you do.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 09:21 PM
McCarthy has said this is about the team and this is what's best for the Packers. Take that however you want. Brett's no longer a team guy. He's a me guy. You don't want to see it, so you won't.

I could say the same to you, but you won't see it that way. McCarthy, "really it is about me, and my ability to win regardless of QBs, I am that good, fuck Favre, I don't need him."

I could say that, do I believe it no. I know reality, Favre fucked up and retired. The door opened for McCarthy and Thompson to make their mark in the first year of A.F. Now Favre has mucked that up with trying to rise from retirement and rain on their parade. Rodgers is now fucked, poor guy.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh well, now we get some drama to watch during TC as well. Hopefully they come out and make it worth it this year. It's been a hell of a ride.

If they win this year and Brett's gone I'll bet it won't be about everyone needing Brett to win and them being stumblebums. I'll bet a lot of people on the PACKERS look forward to that day.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Nutz, if that's the true logic, why did they take him back the first time he unretired?

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Favre fucked up and retired. The door opened for McCarthy and Thompson to make their mark in the first year of A.F.

Nice theory, except you ignore the facts. Thompson and his tubby pal welcomed Favre back after he unretired the first time late March. Even in early June, when Favre was sending mixed signals, McCarthy asked him if he was 100% committed to football, and Favre said "no." This comes from Favre.

TT & MM bent over backwards to accomodate the Prima Donna. But then at some point, they made a choice.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Nutz, if that's the true logic, why did they take him back the first time he unretired?

I guess I could have just said this. :lol: But why say something in 10 words when it can be done in 500?

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Nutz doesn't like to use what is happened and what is said to formulate his opinions. He forumlates opinioons and then selects information to support them. That's what all good loyalists do. The rest of you sicken me.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Actually, Blue, that's not rhetorical. I'm trying to grasp the logic here.

Deputy Nutz
Favre fucked up and retired. The door opened for McCarthy and Thompson to make their mark in the first year of A.F.

Nice theory, except you ignore the facts. Thompson and his tubby pal welcomed Favre back after he unretired the first time late March. Even in early June, when Favre was sending mixed signals, McCarthy asked him if he was 100% committed to football, and Favre said "no." This comes from Favre.

TT & MM bent over backwards to accomodate the Prima Donna. But then at some point, they made a choice.

Absolutely right, I can't argue with that. But what has changed since March? What has changed since June? Did Rodgers all of a sudden sprout into an All-Pro QB? If he did I missed it. Simple what has changed? I guess OTAs and Mini-Camps work wonders. Favre should be banished for missing those.

I guess they gave Favre his chance, he backed out. Are they willing to gamble the franchise, or better yet their jobs? Risky business, risky.

boiga
I could say that, do I believe it no. I know reality, Favre fucked up and retired. The door opened for McCarthy and Thompson to make their mark in the first year of A.F. Now Favre has mucked that up with trying to rise from retirement and rain on their parade. Rodgers is now fucked, poor guy.I don't see why people are disagreeing with this bit. McCarthy and Ted had to make their post Favre mark eventually because the guy is ancient. He wasn't going to be here forever.

However, if Rodgers can play, then this whole mess will be resolved quite handily. We just have to hope that he can.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 09:31 PM

I guess I could have just said this. :lol: But why say something in 10 words when it can be done in 500?

Because you could have over 10,000 posts then.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Absolutely right, I can't argue with that. But what has changed since March? What has changed since June? Did Rodgers all of a sudden sprout into an All-Pro QB? If he did I missed it. Simple what has changed? I guess OTAs and Mini-Camps work wonders. Favre should be banished for missing those.

It's hard to say exactly what changed the minds of TT && MM.
Just like it's hard to say exactly what changed Favre's mind.

I think they liked what they saw from A-Rod is minicamps. And they decided to make a firm commitment. Its not a question of "banishing" Favre - he retired and the team went in a new direction.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Nutz doesn't like to use what is happened and what is said to formulate his opinions. He forumlates opinioons and then selects information to support them. That's what all good loyalists do. The rest of you sicken me.

So much shit has spewed over from this and honestly I feel I have called a spade a spade in a lot of this. I have called Favre out about his decisions and failure to move on his chance to come back to Green Bay.

Simple what I fail to understand in all of this, is MM's and TT's undying loyalty to Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers hasn't proved shit. It is annoying and I can't wrap my head around "moving foward" with an inexperienced QB. Very rarely does a team move foward on the shoulders of an inexperience QB. Sure maybe in 2010, but in 2008? When all the pieces should be in place to go after a title? Too many Egos on both sides, to much pride and stubbornness. It makes it an all out pathetic situation.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Regardless of my post count (don't get snippy with me, bub) you didn't answer my question.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Regardless of my post count (don't get snippy with me, bub) you didn't answer my question.

I answered Harlan's question because he showed better detail.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 09:39 PM

back off, Nurse Ratchet. Nutz didn't answer your question because he does not have one.

Show a little grace. A little respect for the male ego.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 09:39 PM

I answered Harlan's question because he showed better detail.

I'll remember that...

boiga
07-27-2008, 09:41 PM
It's hard to say exactly what changed the minds of TT && MM.
Just like it's hard to say exactly what changed Favre's mind.

I think they liked what they saw from A-Rod is minicamps. And they decided to make a firm commitment. Its not a question of "banishing" Favre - he retired and the team went in a new direction.I don't think it's anything that complicated. They just decided they couldn't wait for Favre to get over his waffling before deciding the direction of the team. They emphasized the OTA's, the team unity, and everything the team had to do to make the transition to a post Favre Packers as seamless as possible.

By the time Brett decided in July, they felt that the transition had already been made and going back would mean undoing all the progress that had been made that summer. So, they decided to keep "moving forward" as they like to say.

They think the transition has been made and to change that go back would make the team worse, not better. So, Favre got cut off.

I agree it sucks to be him, but it's a bed of his own making.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 09:42 PM

Who said they were going to take him back? They were going to meet with him. The idea of Favre coming back was agreeable with Thompson and McCarthy, but they might not have liked the terms Favre would have layed out for his return. They could have simply said, "thanks but no thanks". they never had that chance because Favre couldn't commit.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 09:45 PM
What "terms" could he possibly have laid out that aren't in his contract? He comes back, they pay him piles of cash. M3 has always had him limited in practices, so it's not like they were gonna slave drive him...

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Conspiracy Theory Alert:

Besides MM and TT saying they were going to welcome Brett back with open arms - how do we know that they weren't going to go down to convince him to stay retired in March. It certainly makes the Pack look good to say they were going to welcome him back, but what if they were going down to try to get him to stay retired? No one knows what they were going to really do - and I could see them just saying they would try to get him back (even if they weren't).

We are all assuming that they were going to welcome them back (heck - the Pack Mgmt said so). However, its tough for me to think in three months, that they would change their tune so dramatically that they don't want him in to compete, even with his waffling.

Something seems wrong with the fact that they were going to fly MM and TT down to welcome him back with open arms, but in three months....tell him to go fly a kite.

Yeah - I know that it is far-fetched, but it seems that Campen was the alert guy - that when Favre go the feeling to play, to set into motion actions to try to get him to reconsider.

I know, I know - conpiracy theory and I should get my tinfoil hat on.

boiga
07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
You don't really charter a jet to convince somewhere to stay away. Also, Favre never denied the time line's validity.

Like I just said, in march they hadn't tried to transition the team yet. It was before the draft, before the OTA's, before everything. Nothing had been done that couldn't be undone by changing some plans.

By July, they'd drafted, talked, trained, and prepared. Now they think they can't go back.

cpk1994
07-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Conspiracy Theory Alert:

Besides MM and TT saying they were going to welcome Brett back with open arms - how do we know that they weren't going to go down to convince him to stay retired in March. It certainly makes the Pack look good to say they were going to welcome him back, but what if they were going down to try to get him to stay retired? No one knows what they were going to really do - and I could see them just saying they would try to get him back (even if they weren't).

We are all assuming that they were going to welcome them back (heck - the Pack Mgmt said so). However, its tough for me to think in three months, that they would change their tune so dramatically that they don't want him in to compete, even with his waffling.

Something seems wrong with the fact that they were going to fly MM and TT down to welcome him back with open arms, but in three months....tell him to go fly a kite.

Yeah - I know that it is far-fetched, but it seems that Campen was the alert guy - that when Favre go the feeling to play, to set into motion actions to try to get him to reconsider.

I know, I know - conpiracy theory and I should get my tinfoil hat on.The only one saying Favre isn't beiong allowed to compete is Favre. But he seems to forget that , HE retired, HE asked back and they said "yes, HE changed his mind and then stayed retired, HE asked back again and they said no, HE then threw the team under the bus, HE got all pissy when Greta asked him if he would go and compete for the job, basically saying no, and now he's mad they won't let him compete(HIS claim)? Gee, Brett if you can't figure out why they aren't giving you what you want, your brain is offically dead.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 10:01 PM
I think Favre is the only one who is coming out and saying it - but with MM saying - Arod will be our starting QB - we have moved on - he can play some other role" -- all those indicate he won't be able to compete.

If they were so willing - why don't they say, "Since he retired, we moved Arod to the starting QB. He is more than willing to compete for the starting position". That seems reaonable - however all they are saying is that they have moved on and Arod is the QB. In addition - they don't even want him in camp.

I don't disagree that Favre originally didn't want to compete - however, he has stated now he wants to and it seems that the Packers don't want him to.

Joemailman
07-27-2008, 10:18 PM
We now know it is TT who won't let Favre play. MM is just a bystander.
http://www.packerpalace.com/rock08.html

digitaldean
07-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Charles Schulz must be rolling over in his grave....

boiga
07-27-2008, 10:22 PM
We now know it is TT who won't let Favre play. MM is just a bystander.
http://www.packerpalace.com/rock08.htmlThat's really not true. Ted has no ability to decide who is starting or not. That's all McCarthy, and Mac sounds more pissed at brett than anyone.

Zool
07-27-2008, 10:26 PM
When did Favre win the other 2 trophies?