PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart Posted; Training Camp Roster Analysis

Farley Face
07-26-2008, 02:11 PM
The official depth chart was finally posted this morning. No surprises that I see. We will have to cut some quality players to reach 53 at the end of camp.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

boiga
07-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Wynn being behind both Herron and Morency at running back is a little surprising to me. He had a couple of good runs last year before he went down, but it seems he's on the chopping block.

ND72
07-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Wynn being behind both Herron and Morency at running back is a little surprising to me. He had a couple of good runs last year before he went down, but it seems he's on the chopping block.

Not really. He'll be cut.

Farley Face
07-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I think Moll and Bush are definitely on the bubble.

If Barbre beats out Colledge, and I believe he will, that moves Colledge to backup guard and tackle on the left side and leaves Orrin Thompson off the 53 man final roster.

Kuhn will be challenged heavily by both White and Powdrell at backup FB, but I suspect his special teams play will ultimately secure him the spot.

Barring a LB injury during camp I don't see where there is room for Hodge, even if we keep a 6th linebacker (we only carried 5 to open the season last year).

Unless someone falls on their face I think all our draft picks make the roster except Swain, who I see landing on the practice squad.

Farley Face
07-26-2008, 05:41 PM
It is interesting to note that only one rookie (Sitton) goes in to camp on either the first or second team of our roster. With no 1st round pick that might be expected, but I think it speaks more to the depth we now have from 1 through 53.

Wasn't that long ago we were relying on high round draft picks to fill many of those spots, some as starters.

Farley Face
07-26-2008, 05:56 PM
It is interesting to note that only one rookie (Sitton) goes in to camp on either the first or second team of our roster. With no 1st round pick that might be expected, but I think it speaks more to the depth we now have from 1 through 53.

Wasn't that long ago we were relying on high round draft picks to fill many of those spots, some as starters.

My bad, Brohm should be included as well as a draft pick in the two deep. And our entire deep snapping crew, but I think the point is still valid.

ND72
07-26-2008, 07:56 PM
I really have a feeling Jeremy Thompson will quickly make his way into the DE rotation.

Partial
07-26-2008, 07:59 PM
How is Will Blackmon not the starter at both return positions... He showed to be completely lights out and dominate at it!!! We're in Barny with the way this organization operates lately...

motife
07-26-2008, 08:14 PM
The Packers were offering Favre originally for a 3rd rounder and a starting caiber defensive Tackle. They're really worried about depth there now with Jolly, Harrell and Colin Cole all questionable.

That still might be a possibiltiy down the road. Apparently the Bucs don't have any spare DT's. That's why they've started talking about a first round pick.

They've had Jenkins playing DT all through the OTA's and almost unbelievably Michael Montgomery.

Lurker64
07-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Tramon Williams averaged 22.8 yards/return on kick returns (30) and 19.7 yards/return on punt (6) returns last year, with 2 KRs at 40+ and 1 PR that was a 94 yard touchdown.

Will Blackmon, on the other hand returned one kick (for three yards) last year and had an average of 13.3 yards on 8 punt returns last year, with the long being a 57 yard touchdown.

Are you sure you weren't thinking of Williams and not Blackmon when you're thinking of "lights out" and "potential to dominate"? Williams deserves to be the starter at both positions, Blackmon didn't return more than 9 kicks last year.

motife
07-26-2008, 08:23 PM
They should offer Favre to the Vikings even up for DT Kevin Williams. Take it or leave it.

Partial
Blackmon definitely at punts. He had two fantastic returns in the Oakland game and has shown when healthy he is one of the finest returners and best athletes in the NFL.

Partial
They should offer Favre to the Vikings even up for DT Kevin Williams. Take it or leave it.

:lol: :lol:

motife
07-26-2008, 08:25 PM
"lights out" .

no one is allowed to use the term "lights out" other than Shawn Merriman.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/07/24/nfl-star-says-its-lights-out-for-clothing-company/2

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Tramon Williams averaged 22.8 yards/return on kick returns (30) and 19.7 yards/return on punt (6) returns last year, with 2 KRs at 40+ and 1 PR that was a 94 yard touchdown.

To be fair, Tramon's punt return was a missed FG return. Pretty fluky. He got around one guy and then all he had to do was avoid a teammate (Jason Hunter?) to get the TD. I like Tramon, but he didn't wow me on returns. I think Tramon has the potential to be a solid returner. I think Blackmon has the potential to be dynamic.

RashanGary
07-26-2008, 08:48 PM

To be fair, Tramon's punt return was a missed FG return. Pretty fluky. He got around one guy and then all he had to do was avoid a teammate (Jason Hunter?) to get the TD. I like Tramon, but he didn't wow me on returns. I think Tramon has the potential to be a solid returner. I think Blackmon has the potential to be dynamic.

I agree with this. Williams looked better on defense though.

digitaldean
07-26-2008, 08:55 PM

OOOOO!!! I like you thinking on that!!!!

Then we would find out if Minny is that deadly serious about #4.

packrat
07-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Our PK must be the best guy on the team--he is the only one with zero competition.

falco
07-26-2008, 10:36 PM

tramon was ok at returns - his real talent is as a shutdown corner - why risk your future HOF corner on returns!!!

jmbarnes101
07-27-2008, 12:27 PM
I have two questions.

1. What is a PC/KC?
2. Who is our long snapper?

Oh, and I believe that Blackmon should be returning kicks. He's extremely explosive and if he can stay healthy would be a great boon to our team.

Zool
07-27-2008, 02:13 PM
I guess I'm a little surprised that OJ Coston is listed as the starting LG.

Guiness
07-27-2008, 03:22 PM
I have two questions.

1. What is a PC/KC?
2. Who is our long snapper?

Well, your 2 Q's are related :idea:

The guys listed as PC and KC are the long snappers brought into camp. I'm guessing it means Punting formation Center and Kicking formation Center.

Joemailman
07-27-2008, 03:26 PM
I guess I'm a little surprised that OJ Coston is listed as the starting LG.

Colledge is listed as the starting LG. Coston is listed as 2nd C.

Zool
07-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Ahh...i went to espn and they have Coston listed starting.

Fritz
07-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Ahh...i went to espn and they have Coston listed starting.

That's cuz they know that THE JUICE IS THE TRUTH.