PDA

View Full Version : OH OH, I THINK WE LOST HIM !!

Packers4Ever
07-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Just watching Coach on WTMJ Milwaukee and the way he talked

Brett won't be returning this fall. About 3 times Coach reminded

the press room or wherever he was located, that "we had decided to move

on."

Packers4Ever
07-26-2008, 05:33 PM

on."

I can't believe this after what we've been hearing all day,

hope I heard wrong but I don't think so.

mmmdk
07-26-2008, 05:37 PM

on."

What does the tiny Favre voices tell you?

The Shadow
07-26-2008, 05:38 PM

on."

lol! :D

motife
07-26-2008, 06:11 PM
McCarthy gave me the impression he could work with Favre if he came and wouldn't rule out starting him either.

(After reinstatement and then a physical, what comes next?)
If we get to that point, number one. See what kind of shape he is in, just like you do with any player that you haven't seen in a while. See what kind of shape he is in; we haven't seen Brett since the last game. I saw him Saturday night. He looks good; he looks like he is in good shape. We'll have some type of workout for him. We'd have to evaluate where he is.

(So you might have a workout, and then what?)
We have a program for that. Maybe one or two options; put him through the individual part of it, put him in the rehab or prehab program. We'd have to see what kind of shape he is in first.

(Do you know if Brett has been working out with the same people he did in the past?)
API? My understanding is he has not.

Would there be any concern about his conditioning?)
He is obviously genetically gifted. I don't think anybody can deny that. That's something I would wait to have an opinion on.

(How difficult was it for you to tell Brett that the team was moving on?)
My recollection of that conversation and his is a little different, but things that were said in that conversation were number one, in the best interest of the football team. To me, when I talked to Brett on June 20, it still wasn't confirmed that he wanted to come back, that he was 100 percent. That's really the essence of the conversation that was important to me. I know we talked for a long time. I know it's been tough on him. It's a process that none of us wanted to go through. It's not like Brett Favre called me up and I said, 'No way, you can't come back.' That wasn't the case.

(If a player goes on national television and basically calls his boss a liar, how do you deal with that?)
Just how we're dealing with it today, and how we've dealt with it since Day 1. We've taken the high road, for as difficult as it's been at times, that's where we are as an organization. That's where Mark Murphy is based on his communication, that's where Ted Thompson is, and that's where I am.

(Is this the toughest thing you have had to deal with as a coach?)
Yeah, I'd say so. I think that would be accurate.

(In what way?)
Time. Commitment of time. It's about winning football games, and there's been a large time commitment to this.

Is there any chance that Brett will be the starting quarterback for the Packers again?)
You never say never. Once again, he's on reserve/retired, and if he reinstates he'll be a part of our roster. That's about as far as really we can go.

(Aaron has been patient, waiting for his turn, so do you think it would damage his development to sit another year and make it harder for the team to re-sign him?)
Those are all very practical concerns, but because of the direction and the commitment we've made to Aaron and the direction this 2008 football team is going, it's something I'm not concerned about.

(Ted is your boss; did he order you to go with Aaron as your starting quarterback, or did he defer to your quarterback expertise and allow you to make that call?)
I'll say this ... the only thing I've ever been ordered to do as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers is to come to these press conferences, and that's the truth. We're 100 percent committed to Aaron..

(Do you feel that the team has handled this properly or do you think mistakes have been made along the way?)
I think that's a great question. We've talked about a number of times doing an autopsy of this situation, because I think there are so many lessons to learn from this. I think the first aspect you have to look closely at is communication. Usually when you have problems and things get to the point that we're in right now, it's potentially a problem. All those things will be looked at. There is no script for this, because if there is one, we would have found it already. But I'll just say this. I think as an organization, and the people involved in the organization, I think we've handled it the right way based on doing what's best for the Green Bay Packers, and also respecting Brett Favre and his career here. That has been a challenge.

(Are you concerned at all that the relationship will be adversarial now in the future?)
Well, it takes two sides to every relationship. I know how the Green Bay Packers feel, and they're very strong as far as their commitment to people that work here, the traditions of the Green Bay Packers, and the legacies of the players who have played here. I know there's a very strong respect and willingness to continue that relationship.

gex
07-26-2008, 06:18 PM
mmmdk wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PlantPage55
07-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Coach was a funny show. That Craig T. Nelson needs to get back into the limelight.

Packers4Ever
07-26-2008, 07:05 PM
mmmdk wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Beats the heck out of me, Gex ! :wink:

Will you be stopping at Lambeau this fall, mmmdk ?

Packers4Ever
07-26-2008, 07:16 PM
McCarthy gave me the impression he could work with Favre if he came and wouldn't rule out starting him either.

(After reinstatement and then a physical, what comes next?)
If we get to that point, number one. See what kind of shape he is in, just like you do with any player that you haven't seen in a while. See what kind of shape he is in; we haven't seen Brett since the last game. I saw him Saturday night. He looks good; he looks like he is in good shape. We'll have some type of workout for him. We'd have to evaluate where he is.

(So you might have a workout, and then what?)
We have a program for that. Maybe one or two options; put him through the individual part of it, put him in the rehab or prehab program. We'd have to see what kind of shape he is in first.

(Do you know if Brett has been working out with the same people he did in the past?)
API? My understanding is he has not.

Would there be any concern about his conditioning?)
He is obviously genetically gifted. I don't think anybody can deny that. That's something I would wait to have an opinion on.

(How difficult was it for you to tell Brett that the team was moving on?)
My recollection of that conversation and his is a little different, but things that were said in that conversation were number one, in the best interest of the football team. To me, when I talked to Brett on June 20, it still wasn't confirmed that he wanted to come back, that he was 100 percent. That's really the essence of the conversation that was important to me. I know we talked for a long time. I know it's been tough on him. It's a process that none of us wanted to go through. It's not like Brett Favre called me up and I said, 'No way, you can't come back.' That wasn't the case.

(If a player goes on national television and basically calls his boss a liar, how do you deal with that?)
Just how we're dealing with it today, and how we've dealt with it since Day 1. We've taken the high road, for as difficult as it's been at times, that's where we are as an organization. That's where Mark Murphy is based on his communication, that's where Ted Thompson is, and that's where I am.

(Is this the toughest thing you have had to deal with as a coach?)
Yeah, I'd say so. I think that would be accurate.

(In what way?)
Time. Commitment of time. It's about winning football games, and there's been a large time commitment to this.

Is there any chance that Brett will be the starting quarterback for the Packers again?)
You never say never. Once again, he's on reserve/retired, and if he reinstates he'll be a part of our roster. That's about as far as really we can go.

(Aaron has been patient, waiting for his turn, so do you think it would damage his development to sit another year and make it harder for the team to re-sign him?)
Those are all very practical concerns, but because of the direction and the commitment we've made to Aaron and the direction this 2008 football team is going, it's something I'm not concerned about.

(Ted is your boss; did he order you to go with Aaron as your starting quarterback, or did he defer to your quarterback expertise and allow you to make that call?)
I'll say this ... the only thing I've ever been ordered to do as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers is to come to these press conferences, and that's the truth. We're 100 percent committed to Aaron..

(Do you feel that the team has handled this properly or do you think mistakes have been made along the way?)
I think that's a great question. We've talked about a number of times doing an autopsy of this situation, because I think there are so many lessons to learn from this. I think the first aspect you have to look closely at is communication. Usually when you have problems and things get to the point that we're in right now, it's potentially a problem. All those things will be looked at. There is no script for this, because if there is one, we would have found it already. But I'll just say this. I think as an organization, and the people involved in the organization, I think we've handled it the right way based on doing what's best for the Green Bay Packers, and also respecting Brett Favre and his career here. That has been a challenge.

(Are you concerned at all that the relationship will be adversarial now in the future?)
Well, it takes two sides to every relationship. I know how the Green Bay Packers feel, and they're very strong as far as their commitment to people that work here, the traditions of the Green Bay Packers, and the legacies of the players who have played here. I know there's a very strong respect and willingness to continue that relationship. \

Thanks, Motife, I think I missed all this and came in on the end of it where Coach was talking about making the QB choice. It came out like they'd made their choice...... :|