PDA

View Full Version : Worst Case Scenario for the Packers

vince
07-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm thinking that the worst thing that could happen to the Packers in this Favre stand-off is that Brett would wait until later in the preseason - perhaps until just prior to opening day to apply for reinstatement. Today, the Packers can likely trade Brett Favre for conditional picks and control who would have his rights.

At some point in the preseason though, every team, including the Bucs and Jets, are going to have to make a decision regarding their quarterback and get one ready to play. If Brett waits until just AFTER that time, the Packers could be in a position where they can't even give him away in a trade scenario, since no team will want his big contract on their roster at that point. At least that's what Brett may well be hoping for.

At that point, the Packers would have only two choices, neither of which is what they want.... Give him a roster spot, but keep him inactive and pay him $12 million OR give him his unconditional release and allow him to sign wherever he chooses.

I believe Favre's hope is to use his big contract to his advantage in this way. By doing so, he may well put the Packers in an unenviable position of having to eat $12 million or release him.

I guess it would be justifiable for the Packers since he's been quite an icon, but that's a pretty shitty position to put a team that's helped make you more than $100 million.

Hopefully, some quarterback would go down early and a trade could be negotiated very soon after he's reinstated, because once he applies, he's committed...

RashanGary
07-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Vince, that's what I've been thinking for a while. That's his last piece of leverage but I don't think he wants to get that far either. I think he wants to get in a camp.

MJZiggy
07-26-2008, 08:50 PM
I wonder if once camp starts they could trade his rights--that way if he wants to put a team in a shitty position, at least it's not our team he's doing it to...And if Goodell is sticking his nose in now, I can only imagine what he'd have to say about the late comeback.

digitaldean
07-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Vince,

I agree that this is a possibility. But Favre really does need to get into a training camp to become more familiarized with who he is playing with.

If he tries pushing the issue the last day of training camp, the Packers would be in a bind, for sure. And yes, it would be a crappy way to behave. But so has all this talking to the media, but not sitting down with the parties involved and getting this hammered out once and for all.

If he does get released, he still has to find a team that is willing to just let him be the QB and dump their presumed starter (if their starter isn't hurt).

The positives aren't all on Favre's side. He's rolling the dice, and it just may come up snake eyes for him.

The worst case for BOTH sides (from a PR standpoint) is for Favre to come in and be the backup. That would put even more unnecessary pressure on Rodgers and this team.

RashanGary
07-26-2008, 08:54 PM
HIs release is his release. It puts him with the Vikings no matter what. AT that point I'm OK with it. It gives us a chance to get one up on them with the first game and then Brett has to get acclaimated to a new system during the season. If it gets that far, I think you just let him go and gear up to play him at the Metrodome because he won't be ready for the first game.

MJZiggy
Actually, Dean, I think the worst case would be Favre getting his release only to find out no one wants him at all...

vince
I'm not sure if they can do that Zig, since he's on the reserve/retired list, but if they can, that makes a lot of sense. Trade his rights now for future considerations if possible.

Packerarcher
07-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Hopefully, some quarterback would go down early and a trade could be negotiated very soon after he's reinstated, because once he applies, he's committed...[/quote]

You will not have to hope to long,Rodgers will be out for the season by game 4 or 5 IF he lasts that long.

Chevelle2
07-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Hopefully, some quarterback would go down early and a trade could be negotiated very soon after he's reinstated, because once he applies, he's committed...

You will not have to hope to long,Rodgers will be out for the season by game 4 or 5 IF he lasts that long.[/quote]

Here we go..... :roll:

gbgary
07-26-2008, 10:01 PM
the longer the media circus stays in town the worse it becomes for the Packers. whatever happens it needs to happen fast...like yesterday-fast. what a freakin' shame. :roll:

vince
07-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah we know arch. Rodgers is a stickman pussy who will go on IR because of a hangnail and you guarantee it. You're a broken record man. His injury history amounts to two isolated incidents in 7 seasons of collegiate and professional football. Anyone can get hurt. It's a violent sport. How about we see what happens before declaring him out early in the year?

bobblehead
07-26-2008, 11:17 PM

You will not have to hope to long,Rodgers will be out for the season by game 4 or 5 IF he lasts that long.[/quote]

Tank, you crack me up, how many times you gotta come back?

mmmdk
07-27-2008, 06:49 AM

Could be...do ya think Vinny would play for the Pack? :lol: Now that would be the tell tale of how far out the odds are of Favre returning to Packers.