PDA

View Full Version : Favre Watch '08

Partial
07-26-2008, 09:38 PM
According to CBS 58 interviewing Favre's neighbors, they have yet to see him arrive. With camp starting at 7:30 am, you'd think he'd be here by now.

Seems like he's not showing up :(

RashanGary
07-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Eh, bring him on. This is a team of great guys and hard workers. They will overcome all of this.

Partial
07-26-2008, 09:47 PM
yep, and they'll go tot he playoffs with BF as their starting QB.

One has to wonder if they just intend to keep him. Everyone is talking trade, but who knows. Favre burned the bridges imo but who knows? Sometimes you take the good with the bad when it comes to superstar quarterbacks.

vince
07-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Partial, please read the following quote from McCarthy and the article linked below, and tell me how you rectify this statement and those events with your position.

(Are you concerned at all that the relationship will be adversarial now in the future?)
McCarthy: Well, it takes two sides to every relationship. I know how the Green Bay Packers feel, and they're very strong as far as their commitment to people that work here, the traditions of the Green Bay Packers, and the legacies of the players who have played here. I know there's a very strong respect and willingness to continue that relationship.

http://packerrats.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=187&Itemid=1

Brett Favre dumped the Green Bay Packers and us fans long before the Packers moved on. It amazes me how some refuse to allow themselves to see that.

MJZiggy
07-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I kinda think that when Favre lost the PR battle here, not only did the fans see it, but the GMs around the league saw it as well, because they're sure not beating down TT's door that I have seen...

Partial
07-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Partial, please read the following quote from McCarthy and the article linked below, and tell me how you rectify this statement and those events with your position.

(Are you concerned at all that the relationship will be adversarial now in the future?)
McCarthy: Well, it takes two sides to every relationship. I know how the Green Bay Packers feel, and they're very strong as far as their commitment to people that work here, the traditions of the Green Bay Packers, and the legacies of the players who have played here. I know there's a very strong respect and willingness to continue that relationship.

Brett Favre dumped the Green Bay Packers and us fans long before the Packers moved on. It amazes me how some refuse to allow themselves to see that.

I don't think Favre was right, but I don't think the Packers were right either.

As far as a good amount of the content of your article is concerned, we've heard a white and a black. I'm sure the truth is gray, so I am withholding judgement or statement on that.

I think Favre would rather start for the Packers than play for the Vikings. Even though Favre fouled, with everyone and their mother speculating that he wasn't going to stay retired, the Packers should have been prepared in the event he wanted to come back.

My beef is they have the team to win now and Brett hung with them during the 4-12 doom and gloom to see the sun shine. Now that its almost dawn, they're not letting him take his team through the day.

As a Packer fan, that is highly dissapointing. It has nothing to do with my love of Favre or my distaste of Rodgers. I am sure Rodgers will eventually be a decent quarterback, but now is not the right time or the right place. The time to win is now. Our team is young, stacked, and poised to make a deep playoff run if they have a great quarterback. In my opinion, they could just as easily be 8-8 as 13-3. They need a steady, consistent performer as QB, and Favre has shown consistently to be just that when he has this level of talent around him. Rodgers has not.

Partial
07-26-2008, 10:05 PM
I kinda think that when Favre lost the PR battle here, not only did the fans see it, but the GMs around the league saw it as well, because they're sure not beating down TT's door that I have seen...

Here's the thing: Unless you're close, you don't want a 39 year old quarterback. Why would you?!?

But, the teams that are close tend to have good quarterbacks because it is tough to be good without a good quarterback!

I would think the Vikings, Ravens, and possibly the Chargers would be the only teams interested in him. Why? Because they're close and have a lot of uncertainty at the QB position. Right now they're borderline playoffs, or in the Chargers case playoff teams that will have to battle with two teams with amazing quarterbacks to get to the next level. Favre puts the Vikes and Ravens in the playoffs, and gives the Chargers a better chance at getting past the Patriots than a recovering Phil Rivers.

Chevelle2
07-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Without applying for reinstatement, what are our options if he shows?

Gunakor
07-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Without applying for reinstatement, what are our options if he shows?

If he shows up and hasn't filed for reinstatement yet he's just a spectator. Our options are the same as if he stays home.

MJZiggy
07-26-2008, 10:26 PM
There are no options if he shows without his reinstatement. He simply cannot practice. Nor can he take the physical, the assessment or even enter the facility.

vince
07-26-2008, 10:45 PM

As far as a good amount of the content of your article is concerned, we've heard a white and a black. I'm sure the truth is gray, so I am withholding judgement or statement on that.

I think Favre would rather start for the Packers than play for the Vikings. Even though Favre fouled, with everyone and their mother speculating that he wasn't going to stay retired, the Packers should have been prepared in the event he wanted to come back.

My beef is they have the team to win now and Brett hung with them during the 4-12 doom and gloom to see the sun shine. Now that its almost dawn, they're not letting him take his team through the day.

As a Packer fan, that is highly dissapointing. It has nothing to do with my love of Favre or my distaste of Rodgers. I am sure Rodgers will eventually be a decent quarterback, but now is not the right time or the right place. The time to win is now. Our team is young, stacked, and poised to make a deep playoff run if they have a great quarterback. In my opinion, they could just as easily be 8-8 as 13-3. They need a steady, consistent performer as QB, and Favre has shown consistently to be just that when he has this level of talent around him. Rodgers has not.

You want to continue thinking that Favre would rather play for the Packers than the Vikings, even though the evidence overwhelmingly says the opposite... You want to believe that it's the PACKERS who won't take FAVRE "through the day."

So you're perfectly willing to ignore these facts: 1) a player would publicly throw his coaches and GM under respective buses, 2) a player would use his family, friends and teammates as publicity pauns, 3) a player would repeatedly lie to the team and to the public in an attempt to secure his unconditional release.

If you ignore those facts, or choose to not believe them, then your only alternative in this case is to assert that the GM, coaching staff, President and Board of Directors are all incompetent "Barny's," (to use your description in another thread), that they would proactively alienate their legendary quarterback and piss off significant portions of their fanbase by forcing out perhaps the greatest quarterback ever to play the game merely because he changed his mind too many times. That's a lot to believe.

Here's a newsflash. None of those people managing this billion-dollar company are Barneys. They are upholding the principles of acting in good faith, the value of the team concept, and the importance of professional integrity, while taking a serious PR hit and exposing themselves to signficant financial risk by doing so.

They should be applauded for their actions, and as much as it pains me to say this, Brett Favre should be rejected out of hand - as is being quietly done here.

Brett Favre has quit on YOU, me, his teammates, his coaches, his GM, and all the other fans that are so blindly loyal to him. It's time we all show some values besides selfish greed and win at all costs. This team can win - and do it the right way. We all need to be cheering for that.

The Shadow
07-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Vince : nicely done. One of the best posts I've seen lately.

gex
07-26-2008, 11:40 PM

You want to continue thinking that Favre would rather play for the Packers than the Vikings, even though the evidence overwhelmingly says the opposite... You want to believe that it's the PACKERS who won't take FAVRE "through the day."

So you're perfectly willing to ignore these facts: 1) a player would publicly throw his coaches and GM under respective buses, 2) a player would use his family, friends and teammates as publicity pauns, 3) a player would repeatedly lie to the team and to the public in an attempt to secure his unconditional release.

If you ignore those facts, or choose to not believe them, then your only alternative in this case is to assert that the GM, coaching staff, President and Board of Directors are all incompetent "Barny's," (to use your description in another thread), that they would proactively alienate their legendary quarterback and piss off significant portions of their fanbase by forcing out perhaps the greatest quarterback ever to play the game merely because he changed his mind too many times. That's a lot to believe.

Here's a newsflash. None of those people managing this billion-dollar company are Barneys. They are upholding the principles of acting in good faith, the value of the team concept, and the importance of professional integrity, while taking a serious PR hit and exposing themselves to signficant financial risk by doing so.

They should be applauded for their actions, and as much as it pains me to say this, Brett Favre should be rejected out of hand - as is being quietly done here.

Brett Favre has quit on YOU, me, his teammates, his coaches, his GM, and all the other fans that are so blindly loyal to him. It's time we all show some values besides selfish greed and win at all costs. This team can win - and do it the right way. We all need to be cheering for that.

What are you and the rest of the haters not gonna be satisfied untill you convice all of packer nation to dislike Favre as much you do.

Lurker64
07-26-2008, 11:46 PM

Very, very well said Vince and 100% dead on correct. The nail is smarting after you deadeyed it there.

Bretsky
07-26-2008, 11:57 PM
I respectfully do not agree with some of the post but I've been through it all before. I don't buy for a second we know the whole story; just something I agree to disagree on with some good posters in here

Partial
07-27-2008, 12:07 AM
I respectfully do not agree with some of the post but I've been through it all before. I don't buy for a second we know the whole story; just something I agree to disagree on with some good posters in here

Agreed. I am sure there is fallacy in both sides of the story we've heard.

boiga
07-27-2008, 01:10 AM
I would have liked to give Brett the benefit of the doubt too, but at this juncture it's hard to imagine what might have happened in the background that would justify his actions. After all, the general outline of events, laid out by the packers, was never disputed by Favre.

Sure, there was some miscommunication, but even if Brett wasn't feeling wanted back with his old team, that in no way makes it alright to go sniff around the Vikings.

If the tampering charges hold, and Brett or Cook did have conversations with Childress, then nothing vince said above can be disputed. Brett abandoned us and we're going to have to come to terms with that.

cpk1994
07-27-2008, 06:35 AM

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

and might I add:

:knll:

mmmdk
07-27-2008, 06:40 AM
There are no options if he shows without his reinstatement. He simply cannot practice. Nor can he take the physical, the assessment or even enter the facility.

I hear that Favre has tickets for Packers Hall of Fame at the Atrium...are still saying he can't get in? :D Favre's got time/money to spend.

mmmdk
07-27-2008, 06:41 AM

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

and might I add:

:knll:

Amen - let's focus on Green Bay Packers.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 08:33 AM
But, the teams that are close tend to have good quarterbacks because it is tough to be good without a good quarterback!

I would think the Vikings, Ravens, and possibly the Chargers would be the only teams interested in him. Why? Because they're close and have a lot of uncertainty at the QB position. Right now they're borderline playoffs, or in the Chargers case playoff teams that will have to battle with two teams with amazing quarterbacks to get to the next level. Favre puts the Vikes and Ravens in the playoffs, and gives the Chargers a better chance at getting past the Patriots than a recovering Phil Rivers.

Ravens have already specifically reported no interest in Favre, with all the tampering hubbub, the Vikings will only prove the case if Favre goes there, and I haven't heard anything either way about the Chargers. Didn't they just go through this same kind of mess except without the retirement twist?

Partial
07-27-2008, 11:43 AM
With Brees and Rivers? Dunno, but I know Rivers is coming off an ACL tear in the AFC championship game. Supposedly he participated in day one of camp, but he says the knee still has a long way to go.

Iron Mike
07-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Does it look like this?

http://memorylanesports.com/images/products/gt_nfl_pocket/NFL-PW-GB-MED.jpg

Iron Mike
07-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Does it look like this?

http://memorylanesports.com/images/products/gt_nfl_pocket/NFL-PW-GB-MED.jpg

Ooooohhh, I get it: Brett's not at camp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5duzH4WzIA