PDA

View Full Version : Favre admits talking to Childress

motife
07-27-2008, 09:32 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/07/27/favre.camp.deadline/index.html
Favre, Pack find middle ground in avoiding camp circus -- for now Story Highlights
Brett Favre says the Vikings never enticed him with an informal offer
It's becoming obvious the Packers don't want Favre back in any active role

SUMRALL, Miss. -- Three new storylines emerged in the Brett Favre Saga Saturday night, as the 38-year-old temporarily unemployed quarterback decided to smoke the peace pipe with Packers general manager Ted Thompson -- for now -- and shelve plans to show up at the opening of Green Bay's training camp Sunday.

Favre may be playing this high-stakes game with the Packers, with a new referee: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who told Favre late Saturday afternoon in a telephone conversation he would do what he could to try to help Favre and the team come to a decision both sides could live with. But as Saturday night turned into Sunday, it was virtually impossible to see what that solution might be.

Favre told SI.com here at his home west of Hattiesburg, Miss., Saturday night: "I had planned on reporting for the start of Packers training camp Sunday, but Ted Thompson asked if I would give him a couple of days to try to get the situation resolved. I agreed to do that. I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers, and I hope in the next few days we can come to an agreement that would allow me to continue playing football.''

Favre also said: "I've also spoken with Commissioner Goodell a couple of times this week, in hopes that he could be some sort of arbitrator in this. I hope he can be.''

The Green Bay quarterback also flatly denied the Minnesota Vikings had tampered with him as he considered whether to return to play earlier this month. He said he talked to Vikings coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, but he said he talks to both men and text-messages them often, as well as to other NFL coaches in and out of season.

Bevell coached the Green Bay quarterbacks from 2003-05, while Childress spent a lot of time in Green Bay studying the Packers offense as a University of Wisconsin assistant in the mid-1990s.
But that may not be enough to prevent the league from finding the Vikings guilty of tampering. Favre was interviewed this week by the league's vice president of security, Milt Ahlerich, about the Packers' belief that the Vikings tampered.

"I have no qualms about admitting I talked to them,'' Favre said. "Talking with Milt, he said, 'Brett, did they entice you?' I said no, 'I don't need to be enticed anywhere.' They absolutely did not entice me to come to Minnesota.''

In an earlier conversation with Thompson on Saturday, Favre said he was led to believe he would not be allowed to compete for the starting quarterback job with Aaron Rodgers. Coach Mike McCarthy said strongly that Rodgers would be his starting quarterback this year. Favre said he would consider a trade to any team, but he was noncommittal about going to either the Jets or Bucs -- the two suitors most often mentioned for Favre.

What has become obvious in the Favre affair is the Packers don't want him returning to the team in any active role. That's one of the reasons why a solution to this seemsso far off, even if Favre puts pressure on the team by reporting by, say, Wednesday.

It could be that the Packers will force Favre to stay away from the team to avoid the kind of distractions defending division champs don't need, even if they have to pay him his 2008 salary of $12.7 million.

"I told Roger, 'We're at an impasse. I would like a total release,' '' Favre said.

The Packers won't grant his wish, fearful that he'll sign with either the Vikings or Bears. They're probably right. And so the standoff goes on. The first couple of Packer practices will go on without the sideshow of Favre, but it's a temporary reprieve from all-Favre, all-the-time coverage cycling back in midweek.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Favre said he was led to believe he would not be allowed to compete for the starting quarterback job with Aaron Rodgers.This is something that doesn't settle well with me because this whole time Packers management had made it seem like Favre could come in to compete.

It could be that the Packers will force Favre to stay away from the team to avoid the kind of distractions defending division champs don't need, even if they have to pay him his 2008 salary of $12.7 million.Getting back the QB that helped make you defending division champs is a distraction?

boiga
07-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Favre said he was led to believe he would not be allowed to compete for the starting quarterback job with Aaron Rodgers.This is something that doesn't settle well with me because this whole time Packers management had made it seem like Favre could come in to compete.But I'm not sure what Favre means by that either. Most quarterback competitions really just mean that if the guy with the job screws up, the other guy will take the reins. My interpretation is that the Packer brass refused to guarantee Favre anything and that sounded to him like he would not be allowed to steal the job back from Rodgers.

However, Brett knows that if Aaron bombs, he'd be the qb for the packers again. That's not good enough for him though.

It could be that the Packers will force Favre to stay away from the team to avoid the kind of distractions defending division champs don't need, even if they have to pay him his 2008 salary of $12.7 million.Getting back the QB that helped make you defending division champs is a distraction? When he whines to the press every three days, yes that is a distraction. Brett also virtually admitted in this article that he's putting his own desires over the best interest of the team, and expects the Packers to cave in to his demands. You have to admit that Brett isn't acting like the best role model to the rookies.

Edit: This article is making Brett seem just as petulant as he was in the Greta interview. Then again, I have to wonder what PK is holding back for the MMQB article. After this bombshell, what more could there be?

cpk1994
07-27-2008, 10:44 AM
As I posted in another thread, Favre has put the final nail in the Vikings tampering charge coffin. What an idiot. Yeah sure, Brett, you didn't talk to Childress about playing for the Vikings. I mean what else could two people who aren't friends possibly have to talk about. I really believe Brett has no idea just how much of a moron he truely is.

Rastak
07-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Here's Favre's side...

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/

Favre went on to tell ESPN that his communications with Childress and other coaches was to get their reaction about his decision to change his mind about coming out of retirement. As he did in the article on the Sports Illustrated website, Favre denied that Childress or Bevell tried to talk him into playing and he told this to Alherich when the two met after the Packers filed tampering charges against the Vikings.

“I told Milt and Roger Goodell that if talking to teams is tampering, then there’s about seven to 10 teams that are guilty of tampering,” Favre said. “But Brad isn’t going to entice me because he knows that even if he wanted me to play there, it’s not going to happen. The Packers aren’t going to let that happen.

“So Brad and I, yeah, we talk and we exchange text messages. The Packers know that. After we beat them last year, Brad sent me a text message, teasing me how a gray-haired quarterback could still play. And the Packers were aware of that because I shared a laugh with ‘em about that.”

Finally, Favre reacted strongly to the reports that the Packers have evidence of the Vikings having tampered with him because he had a team-owned phone that enabled Green Bay’s front office officials to look at the records.

“That’s just bogus,” Favre told Mortensen. “I don’t have a Packers’ cell phone. Never have. I told Ted [on Thursday] that he and [coach Mike] McCarthy needed to clear up this cell phone thing. I told him they needed to get in front of the media and admit that I don’t have one of their cell phones. And Ted said, ‘Well, I think somebody already squashed that [story].’ But that isn’t enough. They need to get up and admit it’s ridiculous and bogus.”

Fritz
07-27-2008, 05:31 PM
As a Packer fan, sure, I'd love to see the Vikes get dinged for tampering. As a human being in the US, I think it would suck. If Goodell has the power to convict the Vikes based on phone records and nothing else - purely circumstantial evidence - then who is there to check that kind of wanton power?

It's like this: I've always though Brad Childress's mustache is, in the vernacular, kinda gay. So what if Favre has developed an interest in growing a "gay" mustache as a kind of code to the world that he, Mr. MVP, is bisexual? It could be, couldn't it? No one else who's a head coach has that mustache, right? So it's possible, isn't it?

You've got about as much credibility with that argument as you do with the one that Favre was on the horn with Childress to work out playing with the Vikes. Sure it's possible. But when you can convict on circumstantial evidence alone, the world is getting scary.

Now watch a "Favre is Gay" thread develop...oops.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 05:45 PM
As a Packer fan, sure, I'd love to see the Vikes get dinged for tampering. As a human being in the US, I think it would suck. If Goodell has the power to convict the Vikes based on phone records and nothing else - purely circumstantial evidence - then who is there to check that kind of wanton power?

It's like this: I've always though Brad Childress's mustache is, in the vernacular, kinda gay. So what if Favre has developed an interest in growing a "gay" mustache as a kind of code to the world that he, Mr. MVP, is bisexual? It could be, couldn't it? No one else who's a head coach has that mustache, right? So it's possible, isn't it?

You've got about as much credibility with that argument as you do with the one that Favre was on the horn with Childress to work out playing with the Vikes. Sure it's possible. But when you can convict on circumstantial evidence alone, the world is getting scary.

Now watch a "Favre is Gay" thread develop...oops.

Now if he grows a moustache, Deanna will be crushed.

Think of it as an employer/employee relationship. Has no one ever gotten fired before or punished in any way for suspicion of wrongdoing?

Fritz
07-27-2008, 05:47 PM
My colors are showing, Zig. Sure, people in employment relationships get fired for suspicion all the time. But for the most part I think that sucks.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Fair enough.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2008, 09:46 PM
If he really wants to go to Minnesota, the last thing he's going to admit is that Childress was tampering with him. That would guarantee that he wouldn't go to Minnesota.

cpk1994
07-27-2008, 09:49 PM
If he really wants to go to Minnesota, the last thing he's going to admit is that Childress was tampering with him. That would guarantee that he wouldn't go to Minnesota.It looks like he just guaranteed he isn't going to Minnesota anyway.

digitaldean
07-27-2008, 09:49 PM
If it comes out that he was actively pushing to go to the Vikings, wouldn't that affect his standing to a certain degree?? Trying to get to play for his former team's division rival may be the best way to stick it to TT (which I think he relishes), but it might torpedo good will with fans.

prsnfoto
07-28-2008, 02:24 AM
As I posted in another thread, Favre has put the final nail in the Vikings tampering charge coffin. What an idiot. Yeah sure, Brett, you didn't talk to Childress about playing for the Vikings. I mean what else could two people who aren't friends possibly have to talk about. I really believe Brett has no idea just how much of a moron he truely is.

You have absolutely no proof to back this up he stated he called reid ,Holmgren, Bevell, Childress,Miilen(not good) and others to ask if he could still play and shock they all told him YES. You are a hater I am sorry your wife(nope not gonna go there).

cpk1994
07-28-2008, 08:11 AM

You have absolutely no proof to back this up he stated he called reid ,Holmgren, Bevell, Childress,Miilen(not good) and others to ask if he could still play and shock they all told him YES. You are a hater I am sorry your wife(nope not gonna go there).The Bears didn't have any proof either and the Niners got busted. Its about the standard that Goodell set. Judging by the rest of your post, you are a Favre jock sniffing moron and Im sorry your wife(nope, not gonna go there).

Rastak
07-28-2008, 08:14 AM

You have absolutely no proof to back this up he stated he called reid ,Holmgren, Bevell, Childress,Miilen(not good) and others to ask if he could still play and shock they all told him YES. You are a hater I am sorry your wife(nope not gonna go there).The Bears didn't have any proof either and the Niners got busted. Its about the standard that Goodell set. Judging by the rest of your post, you are a Favre jock sniffing moron and Im sorry your wife(nope, not gonna go there).

Yes they did, it has been reported that incriminating emails were found. This did not get reported at the time, only the calls to Briggs agent. Why do you keep ignoring this fact in your posts?