PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: Brett stays retired.

sheepshead
07-27-2008, 11:56 AM
No source specifically. Just me after reading all the junk today. I think Brett Favre remains retired and we retire his number later, maybe the Bears Game.

(he will keep working out in hopes of someone getting hurt..Rodgers, McNabb, Hasselback...)

boiga
07-27-2008, 12:05 PM
It's not a bad prediction. If Favre really has turned down trade offers with Tampa and the Jets, there really aren't any other viable trade offers left. His options will be to play backup for the Packers or sit in Miss.

It seems a shame that we have to wish injury on a starting QB somewhere around the league for there to be an equitable resolution to this matter.

bobblehead
07-27-2008, 12:05 PM
I've been saying this since we found out he was trying to get released to go play with the vikings. I said that when TT outsmarts him yet again he will finally just retire and I still believe that. I may be wrong and I wouldn't mind trading him to the AFC and getting a pick or 2 for him though...especially if he really just wants to play.

gbgary
07-27-2008, 12:22 PM
he might stay retired but i kinda doubt it though since he says he doesn't want to be a distraction at camp and still hopes he and the Packers can come to some sort of agreement so he can keep playing. if he does stay retired though i don't think his number will be retired this season. i think he'll be so bitter he won't want to be around for a while.

gex
07-27-2008, 12:31 PM
It's not a bad prediction. If Favre really has turned down trade offers with Tampa and the Jets, there really aren't any other viable trade offers left. His options will be to play backup for the Packers or sit in Miss.

It seems a shame that we have to wish injury on a starting QB somewhere around the league for there to be an equitable resolution to this matter.

iF he does show up and competes, against Annoited Aaron , do you beleive he would nOTwin the ,starting job back?

soRy FOr the grammER,?

sheepshead
07-27-2008, 12:32 PM
you might be right about the number thing, especially if it's public knowledge that he's working out and waiting for a call.

boiga
07-27-2008, 12:38 PM
iF he does show up and competes, against Annoited Aaron , do you beleive he would nOTwin the ,starting job back?

soRy FOr the grammER,?It's quite possible that he is right and the team wouldn't give him the opportunity for a direct competition. If Rodgers bombs or gets injured, that would change of course, but I don't think that they would simply hand him the keys after all of this.

Oh, and apology accepted.

sheepshead
07-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I just looked something up, Joe Montana was traded to the Chiefs in April 1993.

It's July 27th and Brett doent have a team yet.

cpk1994
07-27-2008, 12:58 PM

soRy FOr the grammER,?It's quite possible that he is right and the team wouldn't give him the opportunity for a direct competition. If Rodgers bombs or gets injured, that would change of course, but I don't think that they would simply hand him the keys after all of this.

Oh, and apology accepted.But when asked if he would compete for the job by Greta VanSusteren he said dismissively "Why? Brett doesn't wnat to compete for the job. Amazaing how people forget that.

boiga
07-27-2008, 01:08 PM
True, but it was hoped that he had changed his mind when he decided to report to camp with the knowledge that Rodgers would be practicing with the 1st string team. Unfortunately, his interview this morning with SI shows that he has no desire to come back and play for the Packers. This mean that coming back to camp really was merely a ploy to encourage movement on a trade. He decided to "stick it to them" after all.

The question is whether sheephead is right and he'll just stay retired if he doesn't get his way. It's certainly possible.

gex
07-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Damn, now I'm torn. I didn't really want him to play for another team(I was hoping he would report and do the competition thing, which IMO he would win hands down), but after all of this he can't just stay retired.

cpk1994
07-27-2008, 01:22 PM
True, but it was hoped that he had changed his mind when he decided to report to camp with the knowledge that Rodgers would be practicing with the 1st string team. Unfortunately, his interview this morning with SI shows that he has no desire to come back and play for the Packers. This mean that coming back to camp really was merely a ploy to encourage movement on a trade. He decided to "stick it to them" after all.

The question is whether sheephead is right and he'll just stay retired if he doesn't get his way. It's certainly possible.That was a dumb hope becuase after everything Brett has pulled this, that would be totally out of character. He threw the team under the bus and then can't understand why they won't let him compete for the job? Brett truly is a moron.

gex
07-27-2008, 01:28 PM

The question is whether sheephead is right and he'll just stay retired if he doesn't get his way. It's certainly possible.That was a dumb hope becuase after everything Brett has pulled this, that would be totally out of character. He threw the team under the bus and then can't understand why they won't let him compete for the job? Brett truly is a moron.

Same story, different post/thread. :roll: I think we know how you feel about him, you can give it a rest. :beat:

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2008, 04:23 PM
I lean toward what Sheepshead said too. More than that, I HOPE that's the way it ends up.

falco
07-27-2008, 04:26 PM
at this point, just to end the debacle, I would be fine with the packers cutting Favre, as long as they don't think they can swing a trade with anyone

it may be the healthiest thing for the team

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I wonder what he'd say about a conditional release with the only condition being that he can't start for the Vikings...

motife
07-27-2008, 04:41 PM
I just posted an article by Don Banks from Sports Illustrated sayng the same thing :

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=13509

Fritz
07-27-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm in this weird place now where I'm wondering, since the d-line is in tatters, if the best thing for the Packers would be for Favre to send in his reinstatement papers so Ted can trade him somewhere for a really good defensive tackle.

Do the Jets or Bucs have one of those?

falco
07-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm in this weird place now where I'm wondering, since the d-line is in tatters, if the best thing for the Packers would be for Favre to send in his reinstatement papers so Ted can trade him somewhere for a really good defensive tackle.

Do the Jets or Bucs have one of those?

i know the vikings do

Fritz
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
At this point, I'd ship Favre to Minny for Pat Williams and a #3 next year.

falco
07-27-2008, 05:09 PM
At this point, I'd ship Favre to Minny for Pat Williams and a #3 next year.

i'd rather have kevin since he's a bit younger, but Pat would make more sense - both players would be stop gaps for each team.

not that I think it could happen

Fritz
07-27-2008, 05:10 PM
I just thought Pat was the better of the two. But if Kevin is younger and can be the better of the two, sure.

I just want the merry-go-round to stop, with the Packers getting something out of this other than an Excedrin headache. And Favre would get what he wanted too.

sheepshead
07-27-2008, 06:12 PM
The more we hear nothing, the more this seems likely to me. I know there isn't usually much business conducted on Sunday, but this is clearly a work day in NFL with all the camps opening up.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 06:44 PM
You can stop your speculation, because I am here with the final word:

Favre is angling to get his release. He wants to play, he is going to play, he's just not happy with the options the Packers have presented him so far.

Favre continued his PR battle today through Chris Mortenson.

Uhhh, this is going to continue to be ugly, and probably won't end soon.

Joemailman
07-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Unless the Packers keep Favre, I'm thinking he will be a Viking, even if he has to wait until final cuts are made.

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2008, 07:52 PM
You can stop your speculation, because I am here with the final word:

Favre is angling to get his release. He wants to play, he is going to play, he's just not happy with the options the Packers have presented him so far.

Favre continued his PR battle today through Chris Mortenson.

Uhhh, this is going to continue to be ugly, and probably won't end soon.

I really really don't think there is any chance Favre will get a release--Thompson has said as much. The Packers hold the high cards--assuming they don't mind paying his salary and getting nothing for it. That's the bottom line--pay him to sit. If no team offers enough, if Favre doesn't like the short list of possible trading partners, if the Packers don't do something stupid and unnecessary--like release him or trade him cheap, then he calls their bluff by reporting, and they in turn call his bluff by paying him to sit.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I agree tex, packers hold many more cards.

sheepshead
07-29-2008, 12:51 PM
bump at the risk of self aggrandizing

GBRulz
07-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I still want what I've said all along...that he just stays retired.

I just don't get the logic of wanting to play for another team for one, maybe two years at the most. If he really wanted to play, he should have showed up at Packers TC and put the ball in their court.

Zool
07-29-2008, 02:38 PM
I still want what I've said all along...that he just stays retired.

I just don't get the logic of wanting to play for another team for one, maybe two years at the most. If he really wanted to play, he should have showed up at Packers TC and put the ball in their court.

This situation just needs to end. GBR (probably the biggest Packer homer I've known) just referred to the team as them instead of us. It needs to stop. Brett said in an interview that the fans will forgive him this in the long run. Some might not.