PDA

View Full Version : quotes on Donnell Washington, OTA notes from various sources

motife
06-10-2006, 01:44 AM
http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060609/APC02/60609054/1892

Posted June 9, 2006

Packers cut DT Washington

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Post-Crescent staff writer

GREEN BAY – For most of this off-season defensive tackle Donnell Washington has had an attitude and a weight problem. Finally, the Green Bay Packers decided they had had enough.

The Packers cut Washington in a move that surprised many of his teammates.

“I was stunned,” Defensive tackle Corey Williams said. “It just goes to show how quickly it can all end in this league.”

After being taken in the third round of the 2004 NFL draft, Washington certainly expected to be around a lot longer than this. But after being held out of Green Bay’s first minicamp for showing up out of shape, Washington found himself in Mike McCarthy’s doghouse and obviously never was able to dig his way out.

“We had the situation there with the first minicamp, but I never gave him an ultimatum,” McCarthy said. “This is professional sports and we just went in another direction.”

Washington’s release is yet another disastrous pick from Mike Sherman’s reign as general manager. Two of the three third-round picks from the 2004 draft, Washington and cornerback Joey Thomas, have already been released and the other third-round pick, punter B.J. Sander is hardly a lock to make this team.

In two seasons with the Packers, Washington never saw the field in a regular-season game. He spent his rookie season on injured reserve with a foot injury and was inactive for 15 of the Packers’ 16 games last season.

“Obviously, the guys upstairs saw something they didn’t like,” Defensive tackle Colin Cole said. “It just shows you that if you can’t perform and you can’t do what they ask of you, you’ll be gone.”

Dylan B. Tomlinson can be reached at 920-965-5429 or by e-mail at dtomlinson@postcrescent.com.

motife
06-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Notes: Not worth the weight
Team waives DT Washington
By TODD ROSIAK
trosiak@journalsentinel.com
Posted: June 9, 2006
Green Bay - After getting by for two seasons on nothing more than the promise of his physical ability, Donnell Washington was finally shown the door.

The Green Bay Packers on Friday confirmed that they waived the 6-foot-6, 328-pound defensive tackle who, in the team's post-draft minicamp in early May, was deemed to be so far out of condition that coach Mike McCarthy wouldn't allow him to practice.

"We wish him the best," McCarthy said. "We've got a number of young guys we feel good about. It's a numbers game and it'll go on the wire today."

Washington's fate with the Packers appears to have been decided on Thursday, though.

He wasn't in attendance at practice but because the workouts are voluntary and other players have come and go over the course of the last two weeks, that wasn't out of the ordinary to those observing.

As it turns out, he apparently had already been shown the door.

"We saw him in here. He was in here working out," defensive tackle Corey Williams said. "Right before we went out to practice, we didn't see him, so I figured he had to leave, something with his family or something. Then we found out they had released him."

Former coach and general manager Mike Sherman traded a fourth-round pick in order to move up 14 spots in the third round of the 2004 draft to select Washington out of Clemson, where he forged a reputation as a physically gifted but underachieving player before leaving after his junior year.

As a rookie, Washington suffered an arch injury in training camp and was placed on injured reserve before the start of the season.

He made the team last year but was inactive for 15 of Green Bay's 16 games and did not play in the lone game in which he suited up.

Listed at 320 pounds as a rookie, Washington reported to the Packers before their first 2006 minicamp weighing 345 pounds. He had dropped to 338 by the team's second minicamp two weeks later and was allowed to take part.

"I don't think it was an attitude problem," Williams said. "Donnell was just the type of guy who was always just kind of off to himself."

Washington was one of the team's strongest players, able to bench-press more than 500 pounds, but was likely facing an uphill battle to make the team.

Ryan Pickett,Williams, Colin Cole and Cullen Jenkins were all ahead of Washington on the depth chart.

The team also drafted Johnny Jolly in the sixth round in April and signed Kenderick Allen.

Washington is the most recent example of the team's poor track record with third-round picks in recent years.

Of the eight chosen in that round by Green Bay 2000, only punter B.J. Sander and defensive end Kenny Peterson remain with the team.

"In this league, you can be here one day and gone the next. You can't come in here and mess around," Williams said. "You've got to come in and do your job. They're always looking to replace you. What you won't do somebody else will do."

Roll call
For the second time this week, quarterback Brett Favre was not in attendance on Clarke Hinkle Field as the Packers hit the midway point of their slate of 14 voluntary practices.

Missing for personal reasons, according to McCarthy, were fullback Vonta Leach and linebackers Abdul Hodge and Nick Barnett.

Cornerback Al Harris continues to sit out, apparently because he's unhappy with his contract.

Cornerback Charles Woodson and Pickett, Green Bay's two big-ticket free-agent signees in the off-season, have missed all seven practices thus far and there appears to be no timetable for their return.

"I'm not going to get into individual (cases)," McCarthy said when asked if he expected either player to show next week. "I think I went down the wrong road with you gentlemen a couple of weeks ago getting into this one and that one.

"To me, they are voluntary sessions, and as an organization we will adhere to that. But as a football coach we do want everybody here."

Wide receiver Chad Lucas, who played in NFL Europe this spring, attended for the first time but did not practice.

Linebacker A.J. Hawk, meanwhile, appears set to jump in with the team next week.

"I would be shocked if he wasn't here Monday," McCarthy said.

Injury list
Running backs Ahman Green, Arliss Beach, Chaz Williams and Najeh Davenport, linebackers Tim Goodwell, Brady Poppinga and Byron Santiago and tackles Adrian Klemm and Chad Clifton all remained out but observed practice.

Extra yardage
With Favre out, the offense once again struggled.

"When Brett's not here, everybody can't take the day off," said quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who ran the No. 1 offense. "Sometimes I don't know if the effort level is the same. Monday and Friday, Brett didn't practice and I felt like those were our two worst practices of the week." . . .

Cornerback Jason Horton picked off two passes and knocked down two others. . . .

Billy Cundiff and Dave Rayner both missed to the left on 40-yard field goal tries into the wind.

MadtownPacker
06-10-2006, 02:20 AM
"When Brett's not here, everybody can't take the day off," said quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who ran the No. 1 offense. "Sometimes I don't know if the effort level is the same. Monday and Friday, Brett didn't practice and I felt like those were our two worst practices of the week." . . .

Whoa, he's calling out the whole O? He better have been laughing when he said this.

Partial
06-10-2006, 02:43 AM
good for him. I like A-Rod's swagger and confidence!

motife
06-10-2006, 07:04 AM
a few other notes from the Wisconsin State Journal's Jason Wilde :
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=87183&ntpid=1

Packers: Finally fed up with Washington
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
June 10, 2006

GREEN BAY - On the Green Bay Packers' list of all-time biggest draft busts, Donnell Washington will never eclipse Tony Mandarich, Rich Campbell, Jamal Reynolds, Terrell Buckley or Brent Fullwood.

But that doesn't mean Washington, a 2004 third-round pick who was released by the team Friday, doesn't merit consideration as a colossal disappointment, even though his profile wasn't as high.

Taken with the second of three third-round picks by then-coach and general manager Mike Sherman, the defensive tackle from Clemson never played a regular-season snap during his two years with the Packers.

The 6-foot-6, 338-pound Washington spent his rookie season on injured reserve after suffering a foot injury in training camp, then didn't play in a game last year - he was deactivated for 15 games and didn't play in the one game for which he dressed. He then showed up at the post-draft minicamp in early May in such bad shape that the team wouldn't allow him to practice.

"It looked like it was going to be difficult for him to compete for a spot on the roster," general manager Ted Thompson said Friday. "Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I'm sorry it didn't work out here, but that doesn't mean it's not going to work out somewhere else for him."

Washington learned of his release Thursday before the team's organized team activity practice. When he wasn't on the field for Friday's workout, reporters questioned coach Mike McCarthy about Washington's whereabouts and McCarthy delivered the news.

Asked if he gave Washington an ultimatum after failing his fitness test at the post-draft minicamp, McCarthy said, "We had the situation with the first minicamp, but I never gave him an ultimatum. This is professional sports and we just went in another direction."

With Washington's release, only one of Sherman's three third-rounders remains on the roster: punter B.J. Sander, who so far has been outpunted by Jon Ryan, a former CFL player. Cornerback Joey Thomas was cut midway through last season and latched on with the New Orleans Saints.

Attempts to reach Washington were unsuccessful Friday, but Corey Williams, his friend and fellow defensive tackle, said Washington's release came as a shock.

"I was stunned. Nobody was expecting that," said Williams, who was drafted three rounds after Washington in 2004 but has played in 24 regular-season games. "But in this league you can be here one day and gone the next. You can't come in here and mess around. You've got to come in and do your job. They're always looking to replace you."

Extra points

Quarterback Brett Favre did not practice, and the offense struggled without him. "When Brett's not here, everybody can't take the day off," backup Aaron Rodgers said. "Monday and Friday, Brett didn't practice and I felt like those were our two worst practices of the week. Obviously that reflects badly on myself, leading the No. 1 team." ... Middle linebackers Nick Barnett and Abdul Hodge missed practice for what McCarthy termed "family matters." Fullback Vonta Leach also missed practice for what McCarthy said was a "personal" matter. ... With Barnett and Hodge gone, Ben Taylor lined up with the first defense at middle linebacker. ... McCarthy refused to address why cornerback Charles Woodson and nose tackle Ryan Pickett, the team's two big free agent acquisitions this offseason, haven't shown up for an OTA practice. "I'm not going to sit here and single out individuals and go through every single case. I will deal with that directly on an individual basis like I have been," McCarthy said. "They are voluntary sessions, and as an organization we will adhere to that. But as a football coach we do want everybody here."... First-round pick A.J. Hawk did not arrive as the team had hoped but should be here after Ohio State graduation ceremonies are held this weekend. "I would be shocked if he wasn't here Monday," McCarthy said. ... Wide receiver Chad Lucas arrived from NFL Europe, but he only watched practice.

NoVaDMak
06-10-2006, 07:09 AM
"When Brett's not here, everybody can't take the day off," backup Aaron Rodgers said. "Monday and Friday, Brett didn't practice and I felt like those were our two worst practices of the week. Obviously that reflects badly on myself, leading the No. 1 team." ...

Madtown- I would have thought the same thing, except they left out the last part of the quote. Glad to see Rodgers taking the responsibility upon himself that he needs to get the job done as well.

motife
06-10-2006, 07:53 AM
http://www.miningjournal.net/stories/articles.asp?articleID=4151

General manager Ted Thompson said Friday that Washington’s earlier conditioning issue ‘â↚¬Ëœwasnâ€â⠞¢t the determining factor’à¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ for releasing him.

‘â↚¬ËœQuite frankly, we’re kind of excited about some of the fellas we have at that position,Ã¢â‚¬â„¢à ¢â‚¬â„¢ Thompson said.

Washington was under contract through 2007.

Defensive lineman Kenny Peterson, whose locker was next to Washington’s, said Washington seemed to be taking the news in stride when they spoke Friday morning. But Peterson said players were surprised of the decision.

‘â↚¬ËœYou hate to see one of your buddies not be here with you anymore, especially somebody that you care about and you build a relationship with,â€™à€™ Peterson said.

≤ Ugly without Favre: Quarterback Brett Favre was among several notable players who didn’t practice Friday, and his absence was felt by the offense.

Right tackle Mark Tauscher called the execution ‘â↚¬Ëœsloppy.â€â „¢Ã¢â‚¬â„¢

Aaron Rodgers, who filled in for Favre with the No. 1 offense, was more blunt with criticism of the unit.

‘â↚¬ËœWhen Brett’s not here, everybody can’t take the day off. Sometimes, I don’t know if the effort level is the same,â€™à€™ Rodgers said.

Friday’s practice was a review of special game situations installed the previous day, including red-zone and two-minute work. The defense picked off three passes Friday.

Cornerback Jason Horton intercepted two throws made by Rodgers, one during a two-minute drill.

≤ Crowd of no-shows: Linebackers Nick Barnett and Abdul Hodge and fullback Vonta Leach also weren’t present Friday for what McCarthy said were ‘â↚¬Ëœpersonal matters.’à ¢â‚¬â„¢

Still missing were cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson, nose tackle Ryan Pickett and rookie linebacker A.J. Hawk.

motife
06-10-2006, 07:59 AM
http://www.beloitdailynews.com/articles/2006/06/09/sports/sports14.txt

Packers' ‘D' shines in drills
Posted: Friday, Jun 09, 2006 - 02:20:26 pm CDT
Unit intercepts five passes

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) - Despite still not having four of its projected starters on hand for the organized team activities, the Green Bay Packers defense dominated the last 45 minutes of practice Thursday.

The unit came up with five interceptions, including two at the expense of Brett Favre.

Middle linebacker Nick Barnett picked off an errant pass thrown by Favre in the flat on a fourth-and-1 play inside the opponent's 15-yard line during a two-minute drill.

Favre conceded after practice that he's struggling to comprehend new terminology in the version of the West Coast offense adopted by McCarthy. Favre, though, didn't blame the interception on the play calling.

“My arm is not near where it needs to be yet,” he said.

First-year cornerback Therrian Fontenot intercepted a pass by Favre in a passing drill toward the end of practice.

Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers also was stymied during the two-minute drill on a pass that landed in the hands of safety Marviel Underwood.

Rodgers and rookie Ingle Martin later had short passes batted and intercepted by defensive tackle Jerome Nichols and defensive end Jason Hunter on back-to-back plays.

Nose tackle Ryan Pickett and cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson have yet to report for the voluntary OTAs, which started May 31.

Rookie linebacker A.J. Hawk also has missed the first six practices but might be on the field Friday, a team spokesman said later Thursday.

Hawk, taken by the Packers fifth overall in the draft, completed his final exams this week at Ohio State. He will graduate Sunday.

FAVRE ON BOARD: Brett Favre likes the new Packers' training camp

RYAN'S HOPE: Jon Ryan took another step Thursday in his battle with incumbent punter B.J. Sander.

Ryan, an import from the Canadian Football League, averaged 47.3 yards in his four punts early in practice. He boomed his last kick 62 yards, with it hitting inside the 5-yard line. Sander, on the other hand, averaged only 34 yards in four attempts with a long of 39.

mraynrand
06-10-2006, 08:12 AM
I love the titles for the Washington artivles:

"Packers can't weight for Washington. Packers fed up with Washington. Packers D-line bloated with players, including Washington. Famine zone departs Green Bay with the release of Washington.

Patler
06-10-2006, 10:21 AM
In all fairness to Washington, I do not ever remember reading anything about a weight problem for him until this Spring. Just the opposite, he was described as a physical specimen who could still get bigger as a rookie.

To listen to him and if you believe him, he thought getting bigger is something the team wanted, but he approached it the wrong way. He might simply be a confused young man that doesn't understand what is expected of him, nor how to do it. He left college early. He just turned 22. He burned up his chances in GB, but another team that can offer strong quidance and direction to him might still get something out of him.

RashanGary
06-10-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't think Donnell is Packer people. I heard Johnny Jolly on 107.5 and he does not take this oppertunity lightly.

Harry Sydney was telling him how important it is for him to take his career seriously and how he only gets one chance. It was kind of touching because you could hear the respect in Jollys voice when he answered "yes sir" ect...You could really hear that he was taking Harry's advice and that he really believed hard work was the only way to succeed.

People forget that he had a very good career in college and was only hurt by his poor combine that he ran with a hurt ankle.

I really think Jolly is going to make us forget quickly about Washington. After listening to Jolly, I have a sense of what Thompson and McCarthy mean by Packer people. I get a good feeling about alot of these rookies. I think the locker room is getting filled with a bunch of self motivators.

Bretsky
06-10-2006, 10:49 PM
In all fairness to Washington, I do not ever remember reading anything about a weight problem for him until this Spring. Just the opposite, he was described as a physical specimen who could still get bigger as a rookie.

To listen to him and if you believe him, he thought getting bigger is something the team wanted, but he approached it the wrong way. He might simply be a confused young man that doesn't understand what is expected of him, nor how to do it. He left college early. He just turned 22. He burned up his chances in GB, but another team that can offer strong quidance and direction to him might still get something out of him.

Maybe weight wasn't an issue, but lack of motivation and laziness was from the get go per the scouting reports I recall. And for a DT, it's not hard to predict if he's that type of football player weight could become an issue. Clearly Sherman couldn't motivate him, and TT didn't want to put up with his lazy crap attitude/approach anymore. Happy Trails.

retailguy
06-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Maybe weight wasn't an issue, but lack of motivation and laziness was from the get go per the scouting reports I recall. And for a DT, it's not hard to predict if he's that type of football player weight could become an issue. Clearly Sherman couldn't motivate him, and TT didn't want to put up with his lazy crap attitude/approach anymore. Happy Trails.

Isn't it sad that this opportunity was right in front of him and he blew it. And doesn't even know he blew it?

Whoa, this guy just baffles the mind. I guess he'll live fine off the 1.5 mill he made, but what could have been?.... Sick.

Bretsky
06-11-2006, 01:08 AM

Isn't it sad that this opportunity was right in front of him and he blew it. And doesn't even know he blew it?

Whoa, this guy just baffles the mind. I guess he'll live fine off the 1.5 mill he made, but what could have been?.... Sick.

It is really sad how some don't appreciate and embrace the opportunity, and I don't understand what happened from last year when there were all those positive media reports and DW staying in Green Bay and working out all off season.

Somebody in here, can't remember who, made mention on how they have a friend who lives by DW and smokes the funny stuff with him all offseason. Hope it isn't true, but heck, it makes as much sense as anything else.

RashanGary
06-11-2006, 01:30 AM
That was me Bretsky...

According to my former co-worker, he smoked dope regularly. I never saw it, but the guy has no reason to lie to me. He said C. Hunt smoked too. Big surprise.

Patler
06-11-2006, 06:58 AM

I agree completely, and do not lament his departure at all. Things went bad for Washington last year, motivationally. Yes, motivation was the knock against him coming out of college, but he seemed set on reversing that. He openly acknowledged it. If you recall, during his early rookie training camp, before he got hurt, they talked about what tremendous condition he was in. He continued that last off season, staying in GB and attending all the workout sessions, OTAs, everything. The coaches said he even came in for extra work with the new defensive coaches on little things, like using his hands, etc. But then, the pads came on, preseason started, and he still couldn't play. He saw no action for the second straight year.

I think he gave up, or wrongly looked for the answer in being much bigger. I find that that sort of misdirection in ones life very sad, for anyone, regardless of what they do. I can not find it in me to berate him for it. I really hope he can find another coaching staff that can help him, give him direction and focus. Or, I hope he finds another life path that is satisfying. From recent comments of other players, it seems he is a bit of a loner. He keeps to himself, which is difficult for a borderline athlete. It can be a very lonely place to be.

packerpete
06-11-2006, 12:10 PM
This sad story seems to repeat itself regularly.

see the life story of:

James Lee
Cletidus Hunt
Gabe Wilkins
Darius Holland
Jonathan Brown
Jermaine Smith
Jamal Reynolds
On and on and on and on.....

As far as how Washington was handled, he got a lot more than he deserved, he should have been held up to public ridicule for his lack of motivation. He walks away with a huge bank account, more than most get.

Anyone who thinks he was mislead or used in any way is a complete idiot. The exact opposite is true, who lost and who won in this exchange?

Get real or be quiet.

woodbuck27
06-11-2006, 12:40 PM
"I really think Jolly is going to make us forget quickly about Washington. After listening to Jolly, I have a sense of what Thompson and McCarthy mean by Packer people. I get a good feeling about alot of these rookies. I think the locker room is getting filled with a bunch of self motivators." NickCollins

Man, I sure do hope you are right Nick as that will be the biggest factor necessary for us to make any real turnaround in the next 2-3 seasons.

It's really a matter of inspection, or trial by fire and then ' weed and feed '.

I would want a 53-man roster, that first and foremost, is in not just showing up mode, but serious about Packer Pride and Honor.

Every single man on OUR side has to have the proper attitude or see ya ! I want a Packer team of Packer contributors all season long, not Prima Donna's.

Excuses have to be properly defined as 'proper excuses'.

RashanGary
06-11-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm hoping so too buck.....

I get that feeling from Hawk, Hodge, Jolly, Jennings, Spitz, Blackmon ect.......I'm a little leary of Colledge. Apparently he got a 30 on his wonderlic and seems to be quite intelligent. It will probably help him early, but it seems that intelligent people get very bored very early. I hope he can keep it interesting for himself and just force himself to grind through the workouts and practices even though it's boring as hell. He seems like a competitor on the field so he should be the same nasty, tough, hard core football player he was in college.

We'll see. I like College, but I don't think he's going to be one of those well liked players in the locker room. He seems to have confidence in his thoughts and self. Sometimes other men dont' always appreciate that.

Patler
06-11-2006, 02:27 PM

see the life story of:

James Lee
Cletidus Hunt
Gabe Wilkins
Darius Holland
Jonathan Brown
Jermaine Smith
Jamal Reynolds

As far as how Washington was handled, he got a lot more than he deserved, he should have been held up to public ridicule for his lack of motivation. He walks away with a huge bank account, more than most get.

Anyone who thinks he was mislead or used in any way is a complete idiot. The exact opposite is true, who lost and who won in this exchange?

Get real or be quiet.

Who said anything about him being used or mislead?
Who expressed an opinion that he didn't deserve to be released?
What in the world are you ranting about??? :?:

packerpete
06-11-2006, 11:23 PM

see the life story of:

James Lee
Cletidus Hunt
Gabe Wilkins
Darius Holland
Jonathan Brown
Jermaine Smith
Jamal Reynolds

Get real or be quiet.

Who said anything about him being used or mislead?
Who expressed an opinion that he didn't deserve to be released?
What in the world are you ranting about??? :?:

wrong thread, this was supposed to be posted in the MM is a prima donna thread. Im going to copy and paste.

BTW, my comments that shamrock so vehemently reacted to were in response to those made by APB, aka Tank inthe aforementioned thread

Fritz
06-12-2006, 05:56 AM

I agree completely, and do not lament his departure at all. Things went bad for Washington last year, motivationally. Yes, motivation was the knock against him coming out of college, but he seemed set on reversing that. He openly acknowledged it. If you recall, during his early rookie training camp, before he got hurt, they talked about what tremendous condition he was in. He continued that last off season, staying in GB and attending all the workout sessions, OTAs, everything. The coaches said he even came in for extra work with the new defensive coaches on little things, like using his hands, etc. But then, the pads came on, preseason started, and he still couldn't play. He saw no action for the second straight year.

I think he gave up, or wrongly looked for the answer in being much bigger. I find that that sort of misdirection in ones life very sad, for anyone, regardless of what they do. I can not find it in me to berate him for it. I really hope he can find another coaching staff that can help him, give him direction and focus. Or, I hope he finds another life path that is satisfying. From recent comments of other players, it seems he is a bit of a loner. He keeps to himself, which is difficult for a borderline athlete. It can be a very lonely place to be.

Here's my theory: what is it that contributes to lack of motivation? Pot. So when DW came out of college, he was huffing away and thinking he could just show up. Then he found out it didn't work that way, and after his friend Cletidus Hunt got dumped, DW didn't have a connection to get the stuff in GB. So he stopped, got in shape, and seemed headed for better things. But then he met up with some psuedo-liberal named "Tank" who turned him on to some really good shit, and DW started regularly toking and consequently becoming unmotivated once again.

In "helping out" DW, Tank unwittingly helped further destroy the reputation of his hero, Mike Sherman.

OKC PackerFan
06-12-2006, 10:09 PM
From the quote below it looks like the different direction the Packers went with Washington was Kenderick Allen. Allen dropped his weight and Washington didn't.

[quote="motife"]MONDAY, June 12, 2006, 3:23 p.m.
Weight down, Allen moves up

When the Green Bay Packers held their first minicamp in early May, defensive tackle Kenderick Allen weighed 341 pounds and huffed and puffed his way through practice. "It was like putting an overweight fighter in the ring," admitted Allen. "He ain't going to last too long." The New York Giants had cut Allen in late April for not participating in their off-season workouts and the Packers signed him as a free agent.

But Allen said after the Packers' practice Monday - as their off-season team activities continue - that his weight was down to 325, just about his natural playing weight. And it has shown on the practice field. Allen is moving better in individual drills and being downright overpowering on occasion in one-one pass rushing sessions. "He's a beast," said guard Junius Coston.

At 6-foot-5 and 325, Allen has a similar build to recently cut defensive tackle Donnell Washington, who was listed at 6-6 and 328. In truth, Washington probably had a better physique. Washington had pipes bigger than Popeye. But unlike Washington, Allen plays with leverage. His strong suit is playing the inside running game. But Allen also has been bull-rushing linemen into the lap of an imaginary quarterback in one-on-one pass rushing drills. He also has been getting some work with the No. 1 defense. Allen was paired with Cullen Jenkins Monday, and they split time with the tandem of Corey Williams and Colin Cole. Allen played 14 games with the Giants last season and has played in 29 over the course of his three-year career. He spent his first season with New Orleans. Allen, who played at Louisiana State, signed with the Saints in 2003 as a non-drafted free agent.