PDA

View Full Version : Favre signs letter of reinstatement; ready to send

Brando19
07-27-2008, 01:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3507141

Brett Favre has signed his letter seeking reinstatement to the Green Bay Packers but may not send it to the NFL until Monday or Tuesday.

He offered to compete for his old job but was told that wasn't possible.

He admits he has spoken to Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress but says it wasn't tampering.

He's open to a trade but not just to the New York Jets or Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He's hoping commissioner Roger Goodell can mediate the impasse that he has reached with the Packers.

Such is the drama that continues to build as Favre did not report Sunday to the Packers camp along with the rest of the team.

Favre admitted in a telephone interview that he stayed away Sunday in part because general manager Ted Thompson pleaded with him to delay his arrival.

"I asked Ted [Saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' and Ted was just about shattered," said Favre in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

Consequently, Favre did not fax a letter he has signed to request his reinstatement as an active player to the league office on Saturday. That did not sit well with Favre's wife Deanna or his agent, James "Bus" Cook.

"Deanna, Bus, everyone here [in Mississippi] says, 'You're so stupid, letting [the Packers] play you like this," said Favre. "They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so."

Favre said that Thompson wasn't receptive to the veteran quarterback winning his job back from Aaron Rodgers. He relayed his most recent conversation Saturday with the GM.

"I said, 'Let me compete, you'll know I'll win this job' and Ted said again, 'Brett, things have changed. Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback.' It's pretty clear -- and this is what I told the commissioner -- that they want me to go away, stay retired. They would much rather see me in a Packers' uniform, paying me $12 million to be a backup -- which you know they really don't want -- rather than see in another uniform, no matter what they say. They'll drag this out, asking a king's ransom [in a trade], hoping it all goes away."

Goodell has spoken to Favre twice, most recently on Saturday.

"Roger is willing to help but he has to be careful," said Favre. "I told him I could easily send in this letter (of reinstatement) but they really don't want me there and it'll be a big circus. They play this both ways. Privately, they don't want me there. Publicly, if I sent in the letter but didn't show up right away, they could always fine me or say, `See, why isn't he here? He really doesn't want to play.' Give me my release and see if I want to play or not."

It appears Tuesday is Favre's soft deadline to report to camp or possibly be traded. According to Favre, Thompson asked him if he was interested in a trade. "Yeah, but not just to the teams you want me to go to," Favre said, relaying his conversation with the Packers' GM.

The Packers have given permission to the New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers to talk to Favre. The Jets have had conversations with Cook but have not talked directly to Favre.

Favre would not admit that the Vikings are his preferred team of choice but he confirmed he has spoken with Childress and admitted as much to both Goodell and NFL director of security Milt Alherich. The Packers filed a tampering complaint against the Vikings.

"I have never denied talking to Childress," said Favre. "I've known [Childress] for about 12 years going back to when he and Jay Norvell were assistants at Wisconsin and they used to come in and sit in our quarterback meetings. And then Brad went to Philadelphia to be with Andy Reid and, you know, Andy and I are big buddies so the relations continued.

'Like I told Milt and like I told the commissioner, I've spoken to Childress. I've spoken to Darren Bevill [Vikings offensive coordinator], I've spoken to Andy Reid, I've spoken to Mike Sherman, Matt Millen, Steve Mariucci & I've spoken to a lot of guys who are my friends and guys who have coached me, either talked to them or left messages."

Favre claims that his communications with many of those coaches, including Childress, was a matter of seeing if it was within reason to change his mind about retirement.

"I called them and asked them, 'Am I crazy? Am I wrong for pushing this? Can I still play the game? Should I let it die? I mean, I think you know what the answer is. I can still play. I said it when I retired [in March]. Now I've had a change of heart about playing but I've always known I can still play."

Favre said Alherich asked him point-blank if Childress or anybody with the Vikings enticed him to play again.

"I told Milt, 'No, I wasn't [enticed],'" said Favre. "I told Milt and Roger Goodell that if talking to teams is tampering, then there's about seven-to-10 teams that are guilty of tampering. But Brad isn't going to try to entice me because he knows that even if he wanted me to play there, it's not going to happen. The Packers aren't going to let that happen.

"So Brad and I, yeah, we talk and we exchange text messages. The Packers know that. After we beat them last year, Brad sent me a text message, teasing me how a gray-haired quarterback could still play. And the Packers were aware of that because I shared a laugh with 'em about that."

Favre adamantly denied reports that the Packers had evidence of his communications with Childress because they had the phone records from Favre's team-issued cell phone.

"That's just bogus," said Favre. "I don't have a Packers' cell phone. Never have. I told Ted [on Thursday] that he and [coach Mike] McCarthy needed to clear up this cell phone thing. I told him they needed to get in front of the media and admit that I don't have one of their cell phones. And Ted said, 'Well, I think somebody already squashed that [story].' But that isn't enough. They need to get up and admit it's ridiculous and bogus."

boiga
07-27-2008, 01:35 PM
yikes.... we're screwed.

Trade options are out of the picture. The Buc's and Jets were the only teams interested. Favre's not gonna take a backup job, and he's gonna keep complaining to the press until he gets his way.

This is an impasse that doesn't have a way out. The only option remaining is to pay the guy 12.7 million dollars to stay home. It's that or give him up to the vikings.

Brando19
07-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Very true, boiga. I wonder what TT meant by he'd be fired if Brett showed up? Hmm

boiga
07-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I agree, that was the weirdest part. It's hard for me to imagine TT pleading for anything right now.

If TT's job is seriously on the line over this, then the firm stance on "moving on" wasn't his call in the first place. Did the Board of Directors demand this end smoothly? Did M3 decide he doesn't want Brett Favre as his QB anymore?

What the heck... And if BF didn't want TT to get fired, he probably shouldn't have talked about that in the first place.

On the other hand, we might get tampering charges against another 7-10 teams if brett turns over his phone records. Anyone want 10 5th round picks?

Partial
07-27-2008, 01:48 PM
TT is a snake. He won't let him come in and compete? Why? Because he is afraid his ego takes a big hit when a 39 year old beats out his wonderboy precious draft pick? Gag me. These actions are inexcusable.

While Favre didn't handle the situation well, I can certainly understand where he is coming from. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

If I were him, I'd go in and get ol' Teddy fired. Why not force his hand? You're Brett Favre. Who is Ted Thompson but a nobody who will go down in history as the man who drove BF away.

packers11
07-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Brett just shut up and show up...

The faster you get your ass there, the faster this shit will finally end...

You will either be the #1 QB in or out of GB, you will not be sitting anywhere at 12 million a year...

DonHutson
07-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Remember this is Brett's take on the conversation. He could have easily exaggerated "We don't want you here causing a distraction" into "Please, please don't show up and get me in trouble."

And now he's willing to compete for the job? Wasn't he above that last week?

boiga
07-27-2008, 02:00 PM
And now he's willing to compete for the job? Wasn't he above that last week?I think it's more that he's willing to compete for the job as long as he knows that he will win it. However, a fair competition can't exist because Brett would just go to the press if he lost and the pressure from the fan base to sit Rodgers would be historic. No one would buy it if M3 came out of camp saying Rodgers earned it, even if he did (the potential of which is open to debate).

A competition is not really a viable option considering the lack of faith between Favre and the Packers' organization.

If I were him, I'd go in and get ol' Teddy fired. Why not force his hand? You're Brett Favre. Who is Ted Thompson but a nobody who will go down in history as the man who drove BF away. But if he caves, what precedent would that set? Could you imagine our next round of contract negotiations? Every single player would hold out for a better contract because they know that the organization doesn't have faith in the GM. Grant's agent will keep demanding more. We'll likely lose Williams, Jennings, Bigby and other improving players because their demands will start becoming unrealistic.

If one player can out muscle the team leadership, they all will try to do the same. The Packers will become the Falcons.

Partial
07-27-2008, 02:02 PM
The Packers area already becoming the falcons. Their egomaniac GM has decided and forced the coach to use his injury prone, inexperienced draft pick over the best quarterback ever who is playing at as high of a level as anyone in the NFL.

In addition to that, they are holding the player hostage and won't let him play.

Classy organization. I am disgusted and would spit in the face of Ted if given the chance.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 02:03 PM
And now he's willing to compete for the job? Wasn't he above that last week?Maybe but he is willing now and if he is being told he is not welcome at Lambeau Field that is bullshit. I have to wonder if this is more about Favre vs M3 than it is about Favre vs TT. He deserves to at least have a chance to compete for the job.

Zool
07-27-2008, 02:05 PM
I have to wonder if this is more about Favre vs M3 than it is about Favre vs TT. He deserves to at least have a chance to compete for the job.

I've actually been wondering this for a week now. Just a gut feeling I have, that MM might want to make his print on the team without being overshadowed. Kinda the same reason I thought Holmgren left.

Partial
07-27-2008, 02:07 PM
And now he's willing to compete for the job? Wasn't he above that last week?Maybe but he is willing now and if he is being told he is not welcome at Lambeau Field that is bullshit. I have to wonder if this is more about Favre vs M3 than it is about Favre vs TT. He deserves to at least have a chance to compete for the job.

Don't be a fool, M3 would love Favre. What coach doesn't want to win?!? M3 is thinking about this year. TT is thinking long term. Problem is, long term thinking is what the brewers did for 25 years when they didn't make the playoffs.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I have to wonder if this is more about Favre vs M3 than it is about Favre vs TT. He deserves to at least have a chance to compete for the job.

I've actually been wondering this for a week now. Just a gut feeling I have, that MM might want to make his print on the team without being overshadowed. Kinda the same reason I thought Holmgren left.So do you agree he should get a chance to compete for the job?? If M3 is gonna shield ARod lik that then he isnt the hardnose, tough coach will all believe him to be.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 02:12 PM
This needs to end soon - the longer it goes on, the worse it gets for the Packers.

Regardless of what we all want to think - this is a special situation. Goodell is involved and will continue to be involved. While Favre has screwed up, he is still money (big money) for the NFL. No way do they want the publicity of a "purposeful" benching of Favre and will work to make sure that doesn't happen.

If Favre shows up, and they lock him out or don't let him compete, you can bet that Goodell will be demanding they do something, thus removing any type of leveraging the Pack may have in a trade.

In addition - it would not be beneficial to the team to have Favre in the locker room. I will assure you, most of the veterans will want Favre to play over Rogers because they need to win now, not in a year or two and there is no way AR is better than Favre in the short-term. It will be a tense situation - and in the end, the Packers will be hurt, even if they trade him at the last second.

I know that TT wants Favre to stay retired - but this is not going to happen.

The options are dwindling......we need to take whatever we can now.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Don't be a fool, M3 would love Favre. What coach doesn't want to win?!? M3 is thinking about this year. TT is thinking long term. Problem is, long term thinking is what the brewers did for 25 years when they didn't make the playoffs.I dont know P. I seriously wonder if M3 is the one pushing this more than anyone else. He would have been the one to tell Rodger the job is his not TT.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 02:14 PM
I will assure you, most of the veterans will want Favre to play over Rogers because they need to win now, not in a year or two and there is no way AR is better than Favre in the short-term.
This is my belief also and if it is true then it doesnt matter what happens, the vets will be pissed. It may also make them wonder if they might not be replaced with a younger less skilled player someday soon.

Partial
07-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Don't be a fool, M3 would love Favre. What coach doesn't want to win?!? M3 is thinking about this year. TT is thinking long term. Problem is, long term thinking is what the brewers did for 25 years when they didn't make the playoffs.I dont know P. I seriously wonder if M3 is the one pushing this more than anyone else. He would have been the one to tell Rodger the job is his not TT.

I don't believe for a second that M3 chooses the starters. TT calls the shots. And that is a shame. Why would M3 risk his career on an inexperienced, injury prone unknown entity that will probably have a ceiling much lower than the 39 year old who is an absolute tank, chock full of experience, and has shown that he can still play as good as anyone.

It doesn't add up. It certainly isn't the sort of short term thinking you expect a coach to have. If M3 is not focused on getting a super bowl this year and this year only, he is not the coach we thought he is and not the right man for the job.

TT is the one who has to plan for the future. Not M3.

boiga
07-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, Favre did dick around M3 more than anyone this off season. McCarthy was the one who got pissed when Favre threw Campen under the bus. Favre's disregarded McCarthy's highly touted off season program for three years straight. McCarthy has the job Brett still wishes mooch had gotten.

Plus McCarthy is pissed at Brett over that June phone conversation. Brett couldn't commit to playing 100% so M3 ignored his wishywashyness about staying retired. Then Brett comes back and says that he told them so in June. That had to have been embarrassing.

Mike has a bunch of good reasons to be peeved at brett.

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 02:16 PM
yikes.... we're screwed.

Trade options are out of the picture. The Buc's and Jets were the only teams interested. Favre's not gonna take a backup job, and he's gonna keep complaining to the press until he gets his way.

This is an impasse that doesn't have a way out. The only option remaining is to pay the guy 12.7 million dollars to stay home. It's that or give him up to the vikings.

How the fuck is HE screwing the Packers you fucking idiot. You all slam Brettbut if he really wanted to he could tatally fuck things up for the Packers. It really is to bad Favre is to good of a guy to not fuck over TT by showing up in camp at the onset. But he gave the fuckhead a break. TT should man up and let Brett compete for the starting job. But then all of you TT & Rodgers leghumpers would whine when Brett schooled pussy boy Rodgers. The real option here is to let the real all pro QB play, that would be Favre for you slow fucks.

Zool
07-27-2008, 02:18 PM

I've actually been wondering this for a week now. Just a gut feeling I have, that MM might want to make his print on the team without being overshadowed. Kinda the same reason I thought Holmgren left.So do you agree he should get a chance to compete for the job?? If M3 is gonna shield ARod lik that then he isnt the hardnose, tough coach will all believe him to be.

I've long said that Brett should just shut his stupid ass up and send the letter. Then show up at camp. Been saying that for 3-4 weeks now. But he just keeps going to the press. That's the part I don't like. If someone with some political background could just get a hold of Brett every off season he'd be an unstoppable marketable machine. Maybe Javon should speak to the press in Oakland telling Favre to honor his contract?

He's not gifted his starting spot by some sort of birth right. Get your ass into camp and play.

Zool
07-27-2008, 02:20 PM
yikes.... we're screwed.

How the fuck is HE screwing the Packers you fucking idiot. You all slam Brettbut if he really wanted to he could tatally fuck things up for the Packers. It really is to bad Favre is to good of a guy to not fuck over TT by showing up in camp at the onset. But he gave the fuckhead a break. TT should man up and let Brett compete for the starting job. But then all of you TT & Rodgers leghumpers would whine when Brett schooled pussy boy Rodgers. The real option here is to let the real all pro QB play, that would be Favre for you slow fucks.

I dont envy anyone that has to live with or near you.

Brando19
07-27-2008, 02:20 PM
yikes.... we're screwed.

Haha... what an angry post. I hope you're not around any sharp knives or guns.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 02:21 PM
How the fuck is HE screwing the Packers you fucking idiot. You all slam Brettbut if he really wanted to he could tatally fuck things up for the Packers. It really is to bad Favre is to good of a guy to not fuck over TT by showing up in camp at the onset. But he gave the fuckhead a break. TT should man up and let Brett compete for the starting job. But then all of you TT & Rodgers leghumpers would whine when Brett schooled pussy boy Rodgers. The real option here is to let the real all pro QB play, that would be Favre for you slow fucks.Hey man you need to calm your ass down with that mess. Boiga is not showing you any disrespect and is a really cool new member of this forum. Dont go making him think that is how we do it here because it ISNT.

You want respect you show respect.

ARE WE CLEAR?? AGAIN, ARE WE CLEAR???

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
I will assure you, most of the veterans will want Favre to play over Rogers because they need to win now, not in a year or two and there is no way AR is better than Favre in the short-term.
This is my belief also and if it is true then it doesnt matter what happens, the vets will be pissed. It may also make them wonder if they might not be replaced with a younger less skilled player someday soon.

EXACTLY, I have said this for a while now. Kinda the same thing Ditka was getting at in his "no loyalty" interview also IMO.

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 02:27 PM
How the fuck is HE screwing the Packers you fucking idiot. You all slam Brettbut if he really wanted to he could tatally fuck things up for the Packers. It really is to bad Favre is to good of a guy to not fuck over TT by showing up in camp at the onset. But he gave the fuckhead a break. TT should man up and let Brett compete for the starting job. But then all of you TT & Rodgers leghumpers would whine when Brett schooled pussy boy Rodgers. The real option here is to let the real all pro QB play, that would be Favre for you slow fucks.Hey man you need to calm your ass down with that mess. Boiga is not showing you any disrespect and is a really cool new member of this forum. Dont go making him think that is how we do it here because it ISNT.

Sorry I guess I am just to used to dealing with jJustin Harrel on here getting sick of other people not having ANY respect for Favre.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Eh, fuck it. It's already a circus. Bring on all you got Brett.

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 02:29 PM

I rest my case.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 02:30 PM

Sorry I guess I am just to used to dealing with jJustin Harrel on here getting sick of other people not having ANY respect for Favre.

Everybody here has some respect for Favre, I'm sure JH has some deep down in him. It's just we're all sick of this situation. Everybody wants it to end. Ted, Mike, Brett and his family, the fans, everybody with the exception of the media.

I can tell from the way Brett talked about Ted that TT is really exhausted through the whole thing.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Eh, fuck it. It's already a circus. Bring on all you got Brett.You dont want that.

If Favre gets to compete you will likely be looking foolish for believing ARod is better right now.

In fact you said Favre was gonna suck last year if I recall.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 02:37 PM

I rest my case.OK , maybe we can make an exception with harrell. :lol:

boiga
07-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks Madtown, and no worries archer, I've got thick skin.

Like I said earlier, the only reason it would make sense for Ted to keep Brett out of TC is if he is determined that the only reason Brett wants to be reinstated is to force a trade or release. If Brett really wanted to play for the packers, he'd take whatever role M3 gave him. He's not interested.

So, he's forcing his way out, making Ted look bad to the media, and trying his darnd'st to get on the Vikes roster.

Partial
07-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Eh, fuck it. It's already a circus. Bring on all you got Brett.You dont want that.

If Favre gets to compete you will likely be looking foolish for believing ARod is better right now.

In fact you said Favre was gonna suck last year if I recall.

I'm pretty sure he did as well. It just goes to show how WRONG some people can be. That player who sucked put up one of those legendary seasons that will be remembered forever.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 02:43 PM
If Brett really wanted to play for the packers, he'd take whatever role M3 gave him. He's not interested.

So, he's forcing his way out, making Ted look bad to the media, and trying his darnd'st to get on the Vikes roster.
Thats where I am confused. It sounds like Favre decided he had smeared enough shit all over himself the last few weeks and now wants to come in and win his old job back. But it doesnt sound like he would be accepted in any role by the Pack and if Favre is not welcome in G&G that is a shame.

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks Madtown, and no worries archer, I've got thick skin.

Like I said earlier, the only reason it would make sense for Ted to keep Brett out of TC is if he is determined that the only reason Brett wants to be reinstated is to force a trade or release. If Brett really wanted to play for the packers, he'd take whatever role M3 gave him. He's not interested.

boiga,I don't think they have ANY role for him. By accepting any role what do you mean? Why should he come in as a backup when he is clearly the better talent. Say that he did come in as a backup to Rodgers. How long do you let a pro bowl QB sit on the bench if your unproven QB stinks? You know as well as I do that if Brett is on the bench and Rodgers isn't getting it done halftime of the first game that fans will be screaming for Favre.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 02:51 PM
If Brett really wanted to play for the packers, he'd take whatever role M3 gave him. He's not interested.

Thats where I am confused. It sounds like Favre decided he had smeared enough shit all over himself the last few weeks and now wants to come in and win his old job back. But it doesnt sound like he would be accepted in any role by the Pack and if Favre is not welcome in G&G that is a shame.

Favre burned too many bridges. The Greta interview sealed it.

motife
07-27-2008, 02:55 PM
reader comment on the "Am I welcome in the buidling?" story :

annex50 says:

July 27th, 2008 at 3:33 pm
THIS WHOLE THING IS BECAUSE OF THE MADDEN CURSE, DON’T YOU GET IT!?

motife
07-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Ted Thompson DID NOT say "You'll get me fired".

That's Favre BS.

this penchant for Favre airing his dirty laundry, most of it untrue, is disgraceful.

Notice also, how he manipulates his mom, wife, brother, Roger Goddell, Peter King, Chris Mortensen, Greta Van Susteren for his selfish reasons.

He needs to get Kurt Warner's wife calling radio shows now.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Favre burned too many bridges. The Greta interview sealed it.What bridges did he burn? With TT? With M3? I bet the guys who have lined up with him on Sundays dont feel that way.

Favre is not the Packers but neither are TT or M3. The beef is between them and shouldn't be considered unrepairable IMO.

Rastak
07-27-2008, 02:59 PM

annex50 says:

LOL, and people were wondering how the curse would manifest itself. Damn, I didn't even see it! By god, the dude is right! The Madden curse is underway!

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 03:01 PM

annex50 says:

LOL, and people were wondering how the curse would manifest itself. Damn, I didn't even see it! By god, the dude is right! The Madden curse is underway!This may be true. Since the curse cannot not stop him from playing by injury it will just stop him from getting on the field.

That person is a smart guy. Send him an invite Rastak.

Rastak
07-27-2008, 03:01 PM

That's Favre BS.

this penchant for him airing dirty laundry, most of it untrue, is disgraceful.

With all due respect, you weren't there and have no idea what he said. I would agree it seems rather unlikely. I would also say this does have a very destructive potential to TT's career.

Guiness
07-27-2008, 03:06 PM

That's Favre BS.

I agree that I really can't see TT saying that, especially at this point, when the gloves are off.

This interview/statement has to be about the weirdest piece of the puzzle yet. Where did this come from? Did he talk to Mortenson this week-end? I can't see why he'd talk to him at this point.

All too weird.

gex
07-27-2008, 03:07 PM

I know how you feel archer, it's like 10 haters here posting ad naseum in every thread how much we should hate Favre and whoever doesn't feal that way must be out of their minds. Maybe we didn't get the memo that all the cool kids are hating these days. :D

btw ,Mad can I email you a picture that you can make my avatar, Ive tried and tried but cant get it downsized or something like that.

Joemailman
07-27-2008, 03:09 PM
yikes.... we're screwed.

Haha... what an angry post. I hope you're not around any sharp knives or guns.

I hope he doesn't have any trouble starting his lawnmower.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2008, 03:10 PM
btw ,Mad can I email you a picture that you can make my avatar, Ive tried and tried but cant get it downsized or something like that.
Shoot it my way. admin@packerrats.com

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2008, 03:36 PM
After reading this latest story on ESPN, I've officially become anti-Favre. I think Favre's being a real asshat in this whole thing. I wish he'd just go away. Trade him to Tampa Bay for a 7th round pick.

Partial
07-27-2008, 03:38 PM
After reading this latest story on ESPN, I've officially become anti-Favre. I think Favre's being a real asshat in this whole thing. I wish he'd just go away. Trade him to Tampa Bay for a 7th round pick.

why? I'm serious. My interpretation is they won't let him compete. All he wants is a chance to show what he can do. He wants a fair competition with A-Rod. TT says no,

motife
07-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I have no problem with Favre coming back to compete for a starting job or backup Aaron.

The real problem here is he needs to keep his mouth shut and DO not TALK.

That's what creates the media circus. He's a Major League Whiner. His lack of maturity here, in a million different stupid decisions, is breathtaking. Seriously.

If he wants to come back, just do it. Don't blab about it.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2008, 03:41 PM
why? I'm serious. My interpretation is they won't let him compete. All he wants is a chance to show what he can do. He wants a fair competition with A-Rod. TT says no,

I couldn't care less about Ted Thompson. This has nothing to do with Thompson. I'm talking about Favre. I'm done with him.

Partial
07-27-2008, 03:43 PM

I couldn't care less about Ted Thompson. This has nothing to do with Thompson. I'm talking about Favre. I'm done with him.

Right, I get it, but what set you off in the article? I thought that was a pretty Favre friendly article.

Joemailman
07-27-2008, 03:43 PM
What really hurts is that Brett is apparently ignoring my sig.

motife
07-27-2008, 03:46 PM
here's another good comment. It's from PFT :

leroybrown says:

July 27th, 2008 at 4:03 pm
he who talks the most is lying the majority of the time. it’s highly doubtful thompson would have given favre such naive ammo by that statement. he’s become a retired/unretired/retired/unretired arrogant, bipolar disgrace. shut up favre, go away.

GoBrewersGo says:

July 27th, 2008 at 3:54 pm
Has anyone ever seen Ted Thompson display any type of emotion? While I’m sure he’d like to avoid Favre showing up, I have a hard time picturing Thompson “begging” Favre to spare his job.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Right, I get it, but what set you off in the article? I thought that was a pretty Favre friendly article.

I'm tired of the vacillating.
I'm tired of the whining.
I'm tired of watching him throw people under the bus.

I don't think I even trust what he says anymore.

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 03:57 PM

Partial,I think your interpretation is spot on. My only question is why,really what do the Green Bay Packers have to lose by lettin Brett come in and compete for the job. Really if you think about it it would be smart,if he comes in and wins the starting job he is an inspired Brett Favre. I think we all saw last year when in his mind he has "something to prove". Last year Brett was a little or more than a little pissed that the media was saying he was to old and had lost it. I say bring him in let him compete for the starting job and he will win it. Then if TT & the coaching staff has taken care of the rest of the team the Pack will have one hell of a season. But the way things are going Favre may be tearing it up somewhere else and TT won't even have Grant signed by the first game. :x

The Shadow
07-27-2008, 04:00 PM

You are certainly not alone with those sentiments.

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2008, 04:09 PM
The stuff being put out by the media is so out of character with what we have always known or thought we knew about Favre that I just can't help believing STILL that it is the God damned media assholes stirring up trouble. I mean, that's what those bastards DO--all the time, in every context.

Can't you just picture some little piece of crap reporter coming up and asking Brett some insidious leading question with bad implications, and the weary not-to-bright-anyway Favre saying, "yeah, I suppose so", and the dipshit media guy running with it. I really think that is where most of these weird sounding stories and unsubstantiated quotes come from.

falco
07-27-2008, 04:15 PM

You are certainly not alone with those sentiments.

i agree 100%

at this point, I want to watch Favre go somewhere else and suck, preferably somewhere where we can kick his ass twice a year and watch him mope off the field

how about to chicago where he can get benched for kyle orton

falco
07-27-2008, 04:16 PM
The stuff being put out by the media is so out of character with what we have always known or thought we knew about Favre that I just can't help believing STILL that it is the God damned media assholes stirring up trouble. I mean, that's what those bastards DO--all the time, in every context.

Can't you just picture some little piece of crap reporter coming up and asking Brett some insidious leading question with bad implications, and the weary not-to-bright-anyway Favre saying, "yeah, I suppose so", and the dipshit media guy running with it. I really think that is where most of these weird sounding stories and unsubstantiated quotes come from.

i think the problem tex is that Favre has always been appeased and given everything he wanted - the minute he hasn't, his true character has shown - look at his comments on Randy Moss, mooch, and the guards

motife
07-27-2008, 04:23 PM
another interestng comment, not because I agree with it :

Montauk J. Jones
Brett Favre is a lying sack of sh-t. He's hardly bright, his who *** entourage is a bunck of non thinking hicks.

Favre can still play? Maybe in week three against detroit but not in a money game, a cold game, and God know's not a playoff game. Bigger the game, bigger the choke job.

I'd ship him to New York for a 7th round pick and never look back. At some point Favre will have to shut up and produce and he won't and can't.

And Ted Thompson begging this d-bag to do anything? Thompson has zero respect for that moron and rightly so and I am pretty sure the only thing Thompson would beg of Favre is to quit calling and being a piss ant. I mean what a low life redneck hick.

One thing about Rogers is we won't watch some wild eyed Qb choking away the big game or folding like a cheap suit in the playoff's.

July 27, 2008 4:09 PM

Fritz
07-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Trade Brett Favre for Pat Williams. Screw it.

Cheesehead Craig
07-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Favre is doing the old double talk here. He accuses TT of it but Favre is doing it himself. Which is the truth Brett, is it this:

Favre admitted in a telephone interview that he stayed away Sunday in part because general manager Ted Thompson pleaded with him to delay his arrival.

"I asked Ted [Saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' and Ted was just about shattered," said Favre in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.'

Or is it this (from another thread here):

Favre told SI.com here at his home west of Hattiesburg, Miss., Saturday night: "I had planned on reporting for the start of Packers training camp Sunday, but Ted Thompson asked if I would give him a couple of days to try to get the situation resolved. I agreed to do that. I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers, and I hope in the next few days we can come to an agreement that would allow me to continue playing football.''

You can't say TT is begging you in one interview to not come and then have him be reasonable in another one. That's like saying the weather never bothers you as a QB then saying the wind was goofy and that's why the throw wasn't on target and you threw an INT.

Fritz
07-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I think, Craigly, that TT's request means that Favre will be traded very soon. Why else ask Favre not to show?

boiga
07-27-2008, 05:35 PM
boiga,I don't think they have ANY role for him. By accepting any role what do you mean? Why should he come in as a backup when he is clearly the better talent. Say that he did come in as a backup to Rodgers. How long do you let a pro bowl QB sit on the bench if your unproven QB stinks? You know as well as I do that if Brett is on the bench and Rodgers isn't getting it done halftime of the first game that fans will be screaming for Favre. I've been planning on giving Rodgers the benefit of the doubt for two games. If he stinks it up for three games straight, everyone will rightly be demanding Favre returns until Brohm is ready.

But, Aaron has been a good enough sport these last three years that he deserves his chance. If Rodgers has just 1 lights out performance in any of those first three games, I'll be ready to say goodbye to Brett for good. He needs to retire sometime, and if Rodgers can keep us going in his absence, now would be the time for it.

Heck, beating the Vikings opening night would be enough to make me a Rodgers believer for good. But, your absolutely right that if he can't manage at this level, we'll wish we never let Brett go. Brett as backup would be golden for the packers and easily worth 12 million, because it would be a perfect hedge to our bet on Aaron.

Unfortunately, Favre's not willing to be a good sport about this, so the entire point is moot and the Packers will be royally screwed if Rodgers can't deliver. That's all the more reason to root for A-Rod, but it'll certainly make me more nervous during the monday night opener.

Right now, if we want the Packers to succeed we have no cjoice but to hope that Rodgers gets the job done.

@Mr. Craig Good catch on the contradiction.

Fritz
07-27-2008, 05:42 PM
I wonder if they'll have Mr. Rodgers wear a red sweater during practices...

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
I think, Craigly, that TT's request means that Favre will be traded very soon. Why else ask Favre not to show?

There are a lot of reasons why the PAckers don't want Favre in camp. Its a PR plus to show the team moving ahead without him, and better for the team psychology.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the Packers and Favre are now in a hostile, irreconcilable fight.

Favre was stupid to go along with Thompson's delaying tactic. It was nothing more, it was critical (to the PAckers position) to get camp started without Favre.

Chevelle2
07-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Ive been away all day - can someone explain to me the purpose of Favre signing the papers, but not sending them?

PackerTimer
07-27-2008, 06:56 PM

The problem is that most articles are pro-Favre. Even when he's full of shit, like he is here.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Ive been away all day - can someone explain to me the purpose of Favre signing the papers, but not sending them?

He has to face some unpleasantness once the papers are signed. He probably doesn't want to come to the GB camp where he is unwanted by the coaches. And perhaps he thinks TT will then trade him to the JEts, which could lead to further unpleasantness.

Honestly, I think Favre wins by reporting to GB for training camp, and he should just do it.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 07:06 PM

That's Favre BS.

this penchant for him airing dirty laundry, most of it untrue, is disgraceful.

With all due respect, you weren't there and have no idea what he said. I would agree it seems rather unlikely. I would also say this does have a very destructive potential to TT's career.

It doesn't sound like something that tight-lipped Teddy would say, unless it was a joke.

Whatever Thompson said to Favre it worked. Thompson succeeded in keeping Favre away from camp for the important opening days.

Chevelle2
07-27-2008, 07:07 PM
I also don't get this "youll get me fired" comment, WTF?

How is this airing dirty laundry?

(Sorry for the confusion on my part. I have a splitting headache, and just got back from the Brewers game, so Im pissed too)

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 07:08 PM

He has to face some unpleasantness once the papers are signed. He probably doesn't want to come to the GB camp where he is unwanted by the coaches. And perhaps he thinks TT will then trade him to the JEts, which could lead to further unpleasantness.

Honestly, I think Favre wins by reporting to GB for training camp, and he should just do it.

I was thinking this too and hoped on hope that he wouldnt' show up but after listening to McCarthy I still think the Packers will win this. They can put him in rehab, give him his own room without a roommate and keep him in his own lockerroom and parking spot like he had last year. He was away all offseason. There is plenty of instances where a player had to rehab and get caught up before they joined the team. It sounds like that is what they would do to Brett. I say bring him on and let him march around the Packers facility but never see the field.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 07:13 PM
This is a media shit storm and fans are up in arms but the Packers still have a great young team. They'll line up on Sundays and kick ass. The shit storm is out here. When they're at practice and in meetings they just need to focus and set a high standard. McCarthy just needs to keep their media access very limited and focus on football. He can get his players to rally around football and use that as their outlet.

HowardRoark
07-27-2008, 07:17 PM
"I asked Ted [Saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' and Ted was just about shattered," said Favre in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

"Deanna, Bus, everyone here [in Mississippi] says, 'You're so stupid, letting [the Packers] play you like this," said Favre. "They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so."

Favre said that Thompson wasn't receptive to the veteran quarterback winning his job back from Aaron Rodgers. He relayed his most recent conversation Saturday with the GM.

"I said, 'Let me compete, you'll know I'll win this job' and Ted said again, 'Brett, things have changed. Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback.' It's pretty clear -- and this is what I told the commissioner -- that they want me to go away, stay retired. They would much rather see me in a Packers' uniform, paying me $12 million to be a backup -- which you know they really don't want -- rather than see in another uniform, no matter what they say. They'll drag this out, asking a king's ransom [in a trade], hoping it all goes away."

"Roger is willing to help but he has to be careful," said Favre. "I told him I could easily send in this letter (of reinstatement) but they really don't want me there and it'll be a big circus. They play this both ways. Privately, they don't want me there. Publicly, if I sent in the letter but didn't show up right away, they could always fine me or say, `See, why isn't he here? He really doesn't want to play.' Give me my release and see if I want to play or not."

What kind of self respecting 38/39 year old male talks this way? Who the fuck quotes other people in a gossipy manner in public? It is time for him to be moved on……real quick.

I agree with whoever said we should trade him for Williams (MN)....get anybody, and do it with Minnesota. Favre won’t play for more than a year anyway. Get it over with.

Adversity reveals character...........

Chevelle2
07-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I was under the impression Favre may have been allowed to compete....is this not the case anymore? I think thats kind of unfair....thoughts?

mission
07-27-2008, 07:25 PM
i dont care if he goes to MN either ... let's do it. talk about good football...

he'll be so amped up to play well that he'll throw 3 picks and get knocked out by bigby on a blitz...

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I was under the impression Favre may have been allowed to compete....is this not the case anymore? I think thats kind of unfair....thoughts?

IT sounds like the PAckers see Favre as a disruptive force on the team.

The question as to whether it is fair comes down to whether Favre truly is willing to accept a backup job. If his idea of a competition is that he "of course" will win the job, as he has suggested, then it doesn't sound like he will accept a coaches decision unless it goes his way.

PackerTimer
07-27-2008, 07:26 PM

I don't think he was ever told that. He's full of BS, like he has been since the beginning. Does anybody honestly believe TT was "shattered?" Or that he begged himb to stay away. It doesn't even jive with what Favre said earlier this weekend when he said it was a cordial conversation and they agreed that he'd give them a few days.

And how would this cost TT his job? How can anybody believe TT said this? Everybody who matters in the organization has put up a united front in support of the Packers position since this whole mess started. How now is TT is danger of being fired? It's a load of crap. Now TT was an unreasonable, emotional wreck.

I love how everybody says the Packers are being disrespectful towards Favre. Favre has been the only one who has disrespected anybody in this whole mess. The Packers have been pretty tight lipped about it. He sounds like somebody who's trying so hard to sway things his way that he's just exhagerating or out right lying about everything. He's desparately trying to make the Packers look bad. It's kind of sad how many people buy it.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't care if he goes to Minny either. I want him to be cut the day before the start of the season though. Not now, he'd have shown that you can throw a pissy fit and get your way.

The Shadow
07-27-2008, 07:29 PM

I don't think he was ever told that. He's full of BS, like he has been since the beginning. Does anybody honestly believe TT was "shattered?" Or that he begged himb to stay away. It doesn't even jive with what Favre said earlier this weekend when he said it was a cordial conversation and they agreed that he'd give them a few days.

And how would this cost TT his job? How can anybody believe TT said this? Everybody who matters in the organization has put up a united front in support of the Packers position since this whole mess started. How now is TT is danger of being fired? It's a load of crap. Now TT was an unreasonable, emotional wreck.

I love how everybody says the Packers are being disrespectful towards Favre. Favre has been the only one who has disrespected anybody in this whole mess. The Packers have been pretty tight lipped about it. He sounds like somebody who's trying so hard to sway things his way that he's just exhagerating or out right lying about everything. He's desparately trying to make the Packers look bad. It's kind of sad how many people buy it.

Never underestimate the tenacity of the Favre worshippers.

PackerTimer
07-27-2008, 07:29 PM

IT sounds like the PAckers see Favre as a disruptive force on the team.

The question as to whether it is fair comes down to whether Favre truly is willing to accept a backup job. If his idea of a competition is that he "of course" will win the job, as he has suggested, then it doesn't sound like he will accept a coaches decision unless it goes his way.

Good point HH. Favre said in the interview that they (the Packers) know he'd win the job. Do they? With him saying stuff like this already maybe the Packers simply know that if at the end of camp they don't give the job to Favre he'll start whining to the media again.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Does anybody honestly believe TT was "shattered?" Or that he begged himb to stay away.

I think Thompson manipulated Favre and got what he wanted - Favre out of camp for a few days. Favre's retelling is probably an exaggeration, but its also probably true he doesn't realize that he was played.

Favre sounds like Jed Clampett laughing at the fools from the oil company who wanted to give him thousands of dollars for his land.

boiga
07-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Here's the exact quote from the Morenson article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3507141
"I said, 'Let me compete, you'll know I'll win this job' and Ted said again, 'Brett, things have changed. Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback.' It's pretty clear -- and this is what I told the commissioner -- that they want me to go away, stay retired. They would much rather see me in a Packers' uniform, paying me $12 million to be a backup -- which you know they really don't want -- rather than see in another uniform, no matter what they say. They'll drag this out, asking a king's ransom [in a trade], hoping it all goes away." So they never explicitly denied him any opportunity. They just let him know Aaron's job to lose at this point, the same as in most quarterback competitions.

And considering that Brett turned down the two teams offering a dime for him, he can't really talk about stalling trade options. The team's right. Pay him 12.7 million to be a backup.

Chevelle2
07-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Here's the exact quote from the Morenson article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3507141
"I said, 'Let me compete, you'll know I'll win this job' and Ted said again, 'Brett, things have changed. Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback.' It's pretty clear -- and this is what I told the commissioner -- that they want me to go away, stay retired. They would much rather see me in a Packers' uniform, paying me $12 million to be a backup -- which you know they really don't want -- rather than see in another uniform, no matter what they say. They'll drag this out, asking a king's ransom [in a trade], hoping it all goes away." So they never explicitly denied him any opportunity. They just let him know Aaron's job to lose at this point, the same as in most quarterback competitions.

And considering that Brett turned down the two teams offering a dime for him, he can't really talk about stalling trade options. The team's right. Pay him 12.7 million to be a backup.

He did?

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 07:39 PM

He did?

It appears Tuesday is Favre's soft deadline to report to camp or possibly be traded. According to Favre, Thompson asked him if he was interested in a trade. "Yeah, but not just to the teams you want me to go to," Favre said, relaying his conversation with the Packers' GM.

boiga
07-27-2008, 07:40 PM
You should really read that Mortenson article... but then again if I had a headache, I wouldn't want to either. Here's the relevant quote again: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3507141

So yeah, he's refuesed the Bucs and the Jets. I don't think he's realized that no one else wants him though. This is what is leading people to believe that he'll just stay retired after all.

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2008, 07:41 PM
I've been as consistently as anybody in favor of the actions of Thompson, McCarthy, etc. and against what is attributed to Favre. I REPEAT, though, I don't think Favre is voluntarily coming up with most of the shit he is attributed to be saying.

He is giving half-hearted "yes" answers to rotten leading questions by a bunch of God damned media troublemakers. To a very very limited extent, Favre is to blame, but not near as badly as many in here seem to be saying. He isn't a villain; He is merely a not-too-bright dupe of media assholes trying to stir up trouble.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 07:43 PM
TT and MM know Favre can't come into camp. No matter what they do...separate him, keep him in his own room, put him in rehab, it will be a media circus and everyone will understand they don't want him to compete....just to go away.

I have a feeling that if it goes that way, no matter how many bridges Favre has burned, Goodell will get involved. No way will he let this drag out....you think that Goodell is getting involved now, wait until Favre comes to camp and the Packers make it clear he will not compete for the starting job.

Frankly, I am surprised that anyone thinks that they will let him compete. Everything that TT and MM has said so far is basically they will not let him compete....that Arod is the QB. I personally believe that Brett wants to compete....and while he may get pissed if he is not annointed the starter, if Arod truly outplays him, then its it will be reported and he loses even more traction.

However, if he does outplay Arod in the preseason and they don't let him start.....it will get rip the team apart.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 07:44 PM
He wants to get cut and go to the Vikings. I would wait till the last day of camp and cut him.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 07:45 PM
So yeah, he's refuesed the Bucs and the Jets. I don't think he's realized that no one else wants him though. This is what is leading people to believe that he'll just stay retired after all.

The only reason I can think of refusing the Bucs is the story about it being too hot.

I think Favre is just going to keep this drama going in hopes of getting his release. Good luck with that. Best case for Favre is that an injury occurs to Aaron Rodgers or to another QB on a top-tier NFL team.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 07:46 PM
He wants to get cut and go to the Vikings. I would wait till the last day of camp and cut him.

why cut him? Let him be the backup. OR if he's being a bitch, pay him to sit home.

But I don't think we're gonna get to this point, we won't see Favre in a packer jersey again.

falco
You should really read that Mortenson article... but then again if I had a headache, I wouldn't want to either. Here's the relevant quote again: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3507141

boiga, I think you're reading it wrong...

he is not saying "just not to the teams..."

he is saying "not just to the teams..."

the inference is that there are other teams he interested in a trade to in addition to the teams TT wants

RashanGary
Brett's best play is to piss of the Packers so badly and make it so ugly that they cut him. IN that case he woudl go to the Vikings in time for TC and then get to play the Packers on Monday night.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Brett's best play is to piss of the Packers so badly and make it so ugly that they cut him.

well ya, that may very well be his game, but the packers can keep on the interactive roster and trade him when a good opportunity arises.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 07:52 PM
To be honest, if Brett wanted to piss off the Pack - he would not have agreed to wait before coming to TC.

I truly believe that TT said something to the effect of "don't come to camp, it will get me fired" - but more in a joking manner. He knows the madness that would result (as does Brett) and in now way wants that in his camp. Brett knows it also. He was probably just joking around and saying....all that madness would get me fired. No way do I think it was serious.

Every media person would be in GB every day, watching Arod and Favre in practise - commenting on who did what. Meanwhile, they would interview every person on the team...and you know someone would say something wrong and it will all blow up.

I will state this again....the Pack cannot let Favre get into camp, unless they are willing to provide an open competition, which I don't think they want.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Everything here is really obvious. I'm suprised that people don't see what is happening.

Favre realized the Packers "moved on". The Packers tried to avoid this and tried to pressure him to stay retired. Brett talks to Bevell and Childress and realizes he'd be welcome in Minny where they are going for broke witout a QB. Brett is using that initial pressure to keep him retired as a PR tool. His agent and Mortenson are workign together to create a "free Brett" drama in which it appears the Packers are tryinig to keep him retired. They would probably like that, but since Brett really pushed it they're willing to trade him outside the division. Now Brett is throwing a huge pissy fit and using every ounce of positive publicity that he built up to piss off the Packers and make it not worth it to them to keep him around at all. He's willing to come in (knowing he doesn't want to be here) to make a circus for his old teammates and hopefully get released. He does not want to be here anymore. He wants to be in Minnesota and he's willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

boiga
07-27-2008, 07:54 PM
boiga, I think you're reading it wrong...

he is not saying "just not to the teams..."

he is saying "not just to the teams..."

the inference is that there are other teams he interested in a trade to in addition to the teams TT wantsMaybe so. Mortenson read it that Tampa and the Jets were out of the picture too, but I have as much faith in Mortenson's analysis as I do his ability to life Gilbert Brown over his head.

Also, the Press Gazette cites an unnamed source (I hate those) with this gem: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080727/PKR01/80727004/1954/PKR03
However, the source close to Favre said if another team gets a deal in place with the Packers, Favre probably would be willing to go to the new team, depending on how his conversation with the team’s coach goes.

So if they're willing to guarantee his position as starter, maybe he will be a Buccaneer after all...

digitaldean
07-27-2008, 07:56 PM

Harv,
I'm kind of leaning strongly that way too.

Brett could have talked to M3 and TT last weekend after the Packer HOF stuff, but he didn't.

From what I saw on ESPN, Favre wants more say on which teams are involved than just the Bucs and Jets.

I don't get this, what an arrogant ass! The guy who was told that Rodgers is the starter, now has the cajones to say, "OK, but I get to pick where you send me". What kind of crap is that?

I also find Favre's comments as of late to be fairly dubious. During M3's conference yesterday, I sensed that he was pretty pissed at Brett's version of their June conversation.

Something more substantial has to have happened between TT, M3 and Favre that they now don't even want him here.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Or they want Arod to prepare for the upcoming season and they don't want the media circus and other crap that would come with Favre coming to TC.

I honestly think this doesn't have anything to do with Favre's discussions with other media outlets and everything to do with getting ready for the season, which will be nearly impossible with all the distractions that Favre coming to TC would bring.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 08:08 PM
The Pcakers will still have the same amount of meetings. They still have the same amout of practice. They still have to sleep every night.

The life of a football player during trainging camp is pretty structured and busy. The Packers do not have to let Brett on the field and they will not. The players will go to work every day and work their butts off to make the team and make their money. They will be overloaded with football stuff and if the media gets too crazy they restrict media access a whole lot.

The Packers are nto goign to stop practicing. They're not going to stop going to meetings. They're going to work hard and get ready for the season no matter what happens.

REally, who cares if Brett shows up. Just isolate him and work hard with the guys that are there. It's a media drama, but they're not going to stop getting ready for the season.

When the Packers show up on Sundays and kick ass this will all go away. It's a 5 week camp that could get ugly. I say bring it. Trade him if he accepts but if he drags it out to the end then cut him on the last day and move on.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Sorry....don't believe it.

You don't think Driver, Clifton, and the other vets aren't going to be on Favre's side? You don't think they will let that be known.

Remember, while we are a young team, the other players need to win now and will make that known.

Meanwhile, while there may be a media lockdown, it can only happen for a little, and you don't think Favre will be talking?

Sorry, just don't see any good at him coming to camp and I don't think that the team will go on as if nothing happened. Not when it comes to Favre - the leader of the team last year - who led them to the NFC championship with the youngest team in the league.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 08:14 PM
I say bring it on. I don't think Clifton gives two shits about Favre. Driver is about his only friend on this team. Maybe Al Harris.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 08:15 PM
The whole offense perked up when Brett went down against Dallas. For the first time in many years it was about the team and they loved it. They fed off of it.

Brett's done here and I have a strong feeling his lockerroom support is almost nil.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 08:15 PM
We may get to see who is right. However, Driver and Harris would be considered the leaders on offense and defense - so I have to believe they would have some influence on the other players.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Dude, did you read any of the interviews with the Cowboys after that game.

They all said that when Favre went out, they went to a vanilla D since they did not know what to expect from Arod (they didn't game plan against him).

Did you ever wonder why it seems that every QB that comes in mid-game rips up the other team and then the next week, sucks. It because of game planning. Until Arod goes out there, with everyone knowing he will be out there, and tears it up, I will take his performance with a grain of salt.

]{ilr]3
07-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Remember this is Brett's take on the conversation. He could have easily exaggerated "We don't want you here causing a distraction" into "Please, please don't show up and get me in trouble."

And now he's willing to compete for the job? Wasn't he above that last week?

I agree! I cannot believe that TT would ever say anything like this to a player he has been playing hardball with!

"He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.'

VegasPackFan
Digitadean wrote:

Something more substantial has to have happened between TT, M3 and Favre that they now don't even want him here.

This is what really has me perplexed. I honestly think that there is WAY more going on than what we know. All these theories about TT and his ego wanting to get rid of him, or MM holding a grudge because BF wanted Mooch for the coach, etc etc etc, make me chuckle. I dont think any of these theories hold the answer.

There has to be a REAL, CONCRETE reason why the Pack are so adamant about moving on. There has to be something that was said or done either during last season, or during the offseason that put everyone in the position they are in now.

Could it be something about the NFC Championship game? Either BF's performance, or maybe even something he said or did immediately following the game?

Is BF trying to wrest back some of the control and treatment he was getting during the Shermy days (now that he has finally put up a great season under this regime)?

It has to be something more than what we and even the media are hearing.

TT and MM have been fairly tight lipped and not saying too much, essentially taking the high road.

Why would the entire organization back this course of action - to not even allow him back to compete? There is not one non-player in the entire org that has dissented from this as far as I know. Why would that be? You cant tell me that there is not one exec or staff memeber that would argue for BF's return or even leak something out unless there was a very clear concrete reason for everyone to truly believe that the team has got to move on at this point.

The Shadow

You don't think Driver, Clifton, and the other vets aren't going to be on Favre's side? You don't think they will let that be known.

Sorry, just don't see any good at him coming to camp and I don't think that the team will go on as if nothing happened. Not when it comes to Favre - the leader of the team last year .

Reminds me of when the Cult INSISTED that Wahle and Rivera, with a chance to take care of their families for years with a new fat contract, would gladly take less money to 'win one for Brett Favre'.
I think they both signed with new teams in record amounts of time.

I think many of the players are a bit tired of Favre hogging the spotlight and the media attention, as well as holding their team hostage every year with the diva routine. They are pros, and want to be recognized for at least playing some itty bitty role in the Packers success.

Cheesehead Craig
07-27-2008, 08:23 PM
I was more referring to the fact that in one place, Favre is making himself look great and that he has TT by the shorthairs and another he's saying the whole thing is being taken care of reasonably.

It's like a story where it gets more fantastic and dramatic each time someone tells it. It's getting more and more different each time it's told. You quickly realize that the teller is become just an attention-loving blowhard.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 08:24 PM
I think there is a big difference.

If Favre comes into camp AND is not allowed to compete, regardless of what you want to believe, it will rip the team apart.

And while I don't disagree that some are sick of Favre's attitude, remember that TO had teammate supporters in Philly - and I have to believe his behavior is a heck of a lot different than Favre's just wanting to get a chance.

gex
07-27-2008, 08:26 PM

Remember, while we are a young team, the other players need to win now and will make that known.

Meanwhile, while there may be a media lockdown, it can only happen for a little, and you don't think Favre will be talking?

Sorry, just don't see any good at him coming to camp and I don't think that the team will go on as if nothing happened. Not when it comes to Favre - the leader of the team last year - who led them to the NFC championship with the youngest team in the league.

Its starting to sound like the plot from Gladiator.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Favre does not want a chance. You heard him in the Greta interview. His stance is "why should I" compete for my job.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Well after all of this, I can pretty much claim to hate 75% of all the posters here at Packerrats. It is a sad day when I have to cross over to the thoughts and feelings of Partial and Packerblues. I actually half heartedly agree with Tex's crazy idea of blaming the media.

Funny, Brett Favre helped rebuild Lambeau Field, and restore the legend of the mighty Green Bay Packers, he gave this team everything he had and more, and now they won't even allow him in the door. Shameful day in Packerland. It makes me down right sick to my stomach. You all can bitch and hate on Favre with his media act, but he has the right, he is pissed. They won't let him in the door to even compete for a starting QB job, but yet they won't get a deal done so the man can play football.

All I can say is, Aaron Rodgers better be able to play some football, because right now he has more eyes on him than any other QB in the National football league. He fails, the Ted fails, and McCarthy fails.

Disgusting simply disgusting.

digitaldean
07-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Favre does not want a chance. You heard him in the Greta interview. His stance is "why should I" compete for my job.

But now with his latest mag. interview, he states that he is willing to compete with AR for the starting gig.

Man, this sucks. An icon like this finishing up his career in this type of squabble. Regardless of which side of the fence we Rats are on, this has got to just suck canal water.

Nutz, you've got the right to hate 75% of the posters here. Maybe I'm one of them, I don't know. :?: Sad, if it's getting to that.

I have been critical of the Favre media game, mainly because they could have resolved this one on one. Could have been done last weekend after the HOF dinner. But nothing was done.

Yes, Favre was the main ingredient that resurrected this franchise in a wide variety of ways, no doubt. But the constant carrying on over the last 3 seasons has to wear thin with management, don't ya think?

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Favre is doing the old double talk here. He accuses TT of it but Favre is doing it himself. Which is the truth Brett, is it this:

"I asked Ted [Saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' and Ted was just about shattered," said Favre in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.'

Or is it this (from another thread here):

Favre told SI.com here at his home west of Hattiesburg, Miss., Saturday night: "I had planned on reporting for the start of Packers training camp Sunday, but Ted Thompson asked if I would give him a couple of days to try to get the situation resolved. I agreed to do that. I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers, and I hope in the next few days we can come to an agreement that would allow me to continue playing football.''

You can't say TT is begging you in one interview to not come and then have him be reasonable in another one. That's like saying the weather never bothers you as a QB then saying the wind was goofy and that's why the throw wasn't on target and you threw an INT.

See this, this is what crazy Tex is talking about. in the first quote look at exactly what Favre is saying and what the reporter is saying. Favre said nothing about Thompson Pleading with him, that was the reporter.

I honestly believe Favre feels and can accurately be quoted closer to the second quote by SI. That is just my opinion, but anyways...

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 08:46 PM
They won't let him in the door to even compete for a starting QB job.

Do you think Favre would be a happy camper if the coaches selected Rodgers? IF Favre would accept the backup role, I expect they would happily want him on the roster.

And what does "compete" mean? The coaches may prefer Rodgers for a lot of reasons beyond his preseason stats.
"Compete" to you and Favre probably means he gets the starting job.

but yet they won't get a deal done so the man can play football. .

complete bullshit. Favre today scoffed at the teams the PAckers have found with interest in Favre. He is being highly selective, that's his right, but you can't then blame the team.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Well after all of this, I can pretty much claim to hate 75% of all the posters here at Packerrats. It is a sad day when I have to cross over to the thoughts and feelings of Partial and Packerblues. I actually half heartedly agree with Tex's crazy idea of blaming the media.

Funny, Brett Favre helped rebuild Lambeau Field, and restore the legend of the mighty Green Bay Packers, he gave this team everything he had and more, and now they won't even allow him in the door. Shameful day in Packerland. It makes me down right sick to my stomach. You all can bitch and hate on Favre with his media act, but he has the right, he is pissed. They won't let him in the door to even compete for a starting QB job, but yet they won't get a deal done so the man can play football.

All I can say is, Aaron Rodgers better be able to play some football, because right now he has more eyes on him than any other QB in the National football league. He fails, the Ted fails, and McCarthy fails.

Yeah, it's a sad day because your idol is sitting in interviews and throwing his current OL, WR's and coach under the bus because he ddin't like the ones TT gave him. He doesn't want to show up to fight for the job he retired from back. He said "why should I". He's flip flopping around, not even knowing if he wants to play football anymore and then expects his coach to take the job from the hard workign kid who acctually committed to the program and loves his teammates.

He wants to be released and he's throwing a huge hissy fit. The only thing sad in all of this is Brett FAvre.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
They won't let him in the door to even compete for a starting QB job.

Do you think Favre would be a happy camper if the coaches selected Rodgers? IF Favre would accept the backup role, I expect they would happily want him on the roster.

And what does "compete" mean? The coaches may prefer Rodgers for a lot of reasons beyond his preseason stats.
"Compete" to you and Favre probably means he gets the starting job.

but yet they won't get a deal done so the man can play football. .

complete bullshit. Favre today scoffed at the teams the PAckers have found with interest in Favre. He is being highly selective, that's his right, but you can't then blame the team.

I want him to be a JET. I am selfish and would not like to see him compete against the Packers, but what does that really matter anymore. This season is already going down as one of the worst in the history of the franchise. Shame, just shame.

It is on him, if the Packers have a deal in place with any team and Favre refuses to play, thats on him.

Compete under fair circumstances, thats what I would hope for. I don't think Rodgers can beat Favre out. Simply not enough game experience to handle everything an opposing team can throw at him, pocket awareness for one, that comes with experience, something Rodgers doesn't have yet. Sure it will come to intelligent QBs, but even Favre would fail to read the blitz or pick up the pressure in his early days and get blind sided and cough up the football. Right now Favre is the better QB. If Rodgers had two years of starting experience under his belt it might be a different story. I am tired of the sell job the Packers media agents are doing to try and convince me that Rodgers is the next coming of Steve Young.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 08:56 PM

Yeah, it's a sad day because your idol is sitting in interviews and throwing his current OL, WR's and coach under the bus because he ddin't like the ones TT gave him. He doesn't want to show up to fight for the job he retired from back. He said "why should I". He's flip flopping around, not even knowing if he wants to play football anymore and then expects his coach to take the job from the hard workign kid who acctually committed to the program and loves his teammates.

He wants to be released and he's throwing a huge hissy fit. The only thing sad in all of this is Brett FAvre.

I thought Tarlam said in a different thread that you don't go looking to antagonize? Well Tarlam is certainly fucked at this point.

I would rather idolize Favre than Rodgers.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Compete under fair circumstances, thats what I would hope for. I don't think Rodgers can beat Favre out. Simply not enough game experience to handle everything an opposing team

ya, but you are never gonna get that fair competition. Rodgers would have to totally stink it up to lose his job. The coaches don't have to allow a "fair competition" in the sense of an objective comparison. They are entitled to their own subjective reasons, some not related to current performance.

I basically agree with you, though, I wish Favre would come into camp, and just let the chips fall where they may.

But they can't do that if Favre is not prepared to play second fiddle if that's what the coaches decide.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 09:02 PM
All Hail Deputy Nutz!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have no problem with an open competition with Arod and I don't know why the Pack didn't go this route. It provides a penalty to Favre to his indecision and mind-changing, and give Arod a shot to win the job (that if he can't - he shouldn't have it anyway).

However, to not let him compete is wrong. I can see why he is pissed and demanding his release. And regardless of what some people say, if he came to camp and they wouldn't let him compete....a lot of players would be pissed too.

Its tough - because I love the Pack, but I love Favre for what he has done for the Pack. I know how hard it is to find a QB - I was there before Favre and knew how Green Bay was the Siberia of the NFL.

I don't begrudge MM and TT wanting to move forward. They both need to do what they think it best for the long term (though I think the short-term should be on their mind). However, I am pissed that they seem willing to toss Favre aside and keep him from playing the game.

boiga
07-27-2008, 09:04 PM

You don't think Driver, Clifton, and the other vets aren't going to be on Favre's side? You don't think they will let that be known.Those guys will accept who ever management tells them is the leader... unless that leader starts losing games for them. Ted and M3 have built up a lot of good relationships with the veterans by quietly paying them when what they deserved. Our vets are as happy with management as any team in the league.

Disgusting simply disgusting.We love you anyways, and I agree that if Rodgers can't play everyone in the organization is screwed.

The have stated that they will let Favre in, and that they'll let him practice, they just won't necessarily let him start. Favre's message is that he "just wants to play" but if you look a little deeper, that really means he couldn't stand sitting on the bench.

I posted this earlier, but oh well, here's one of Favre's anonymous crew: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080727/PKR01/80727004/1954/PKR03
However, the source close to Favre said if another team gets a deal in place with the Packers, Favre probably would be willing to go to the new team, depending on how his conversation with the team’s coach goes.

“He wants to play,” the source said. There too it seems that no matter who he is traded to, he wants the guarantee that he won't spend the year warming the bench. Do you remember how miserable he was for the second half of that Dallas game? He even left early because he couldn't stand to watch. Brett no longer has the capability of sitting the bench happily.

The Packers couldn't guarantee him playing time and he won't play for a team unless they do.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Compete under fair circumstances, thats what I would hope for. I don't think Rodgers can beat Favre out. Simply not enough game experience to handle everything an opposing team

ya, but you are never gonna get that fair competition. Rodgers would have to totally stink it up to lose his job. The coaches don't have to allow a "fair competition" in the sense of an objective comparison. They are entitled to their own subjective reasons, some not related to current performance.

I basically agree with you, though, I wish Favre would come into camp, and just let the chips fall where they may.

But they can't do that if Favre is not prepared to play second fiddle if that's what the coaches decide.

Then it is too bad because regardless the best player should play, It is PRIDE fucking everything up.

Favre shouldn't play second fiddle, if he can't beat out Rodgers, then well he should go back to retirement.

Partial
07-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Nutzy, the sooner you realize that I've got a good head on my shoulders the better off we'll be.

Favre is getting a raw deal. It's unfortunate.

Partial
07-27-2008, 09:13 PM

Hey dumbass, he threw the shitty offensive linemen under the bus that started here for a year when Favre was running for his life when we went 4-12. Aka, he put up with the bad shit, and wanted TT to sign the best receiver ever for pennies. I cannot believe you can accuse him of being a dumbass after the numbers and behavior Moss exhibited this year.

In retrospect, your boy TT looks like an idiot for not pulling the Moss trigger. He set an NFL record for touchdowns and was as good of an influence as we could have asked for. Hell, maybe he would have put us over the top and got us a superbowl win.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Favre should play second fiddle, if he can't beat out Rodgers, then well he should go back to retirement.

I guess you meant to say "shouldn't play second fiddle".

I suppose that Favre agrees 100% with you.

And it is exactly why the Packers don't want him in camp - he won't accept the coaches decision if it goes against him.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Nutzy, the sooner you realize that I've got a good head on my shoulders the better off we'll be.

"love me, daddy"

cpk1994
07-27-2008, 09:31 PM

Hey dumbass, he threw the shitty offensive linemen under the bus that started here for a year when Favre was running for his life when we went 4-12. Aka, he put up with the bad shit, and wanted TT to sign the best receiver ever for pennies. I cannot believe you can accuse him of being a dumbass after the numbers and behavior Moss exhibited this year.

In retrospect, your boy TT looks like an idiot for not pulling the Moss trigger. He set an NFL record for touchdowns and was as good of an influence as we could have asked for. Hell, maybe he would have put us over the top and got us a superbowl win.LIke he helped the Patriots win the SUper Bowl. Oh wait. The only one that looks like an idiot is you.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey everyone. Let's not let this tear us appart. It's acctually good fun if you loosen up a bit.

If you believe the Packers will suck, who cares. It's a football game. People are dropping dead with war and disease. Women are getting raped, childeren abused and neglected. This really isn't that big. IT's not worth hating anyone over.

IF you believe the Packers will be better for it, then you can wait and watch. Maybe you'll be right, maybe not but there are better things to do than hate a bunch of people you see as blind loyalists.

This is really a great time to be a Packer fan. We get to learn about messy squabbles and watch football at the same time. Look on the bright side of things and don't let your lives revolve around what happens iwth the Packers or Brett Favre. It's a fun distraction, not a reason for depression, anger or disgust. Just have fun with it. That's why we follow.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey everyone. Let's not let this tear us appart. It's acctually good fun if you loosen up a bit.

If you believe the Packers will suck, who cares. It's a football game. People are dropping dead with war and disease. Women are getting raped, childeren abused and neglected. This really isn't that big. IT's not worth hating anyone over.

IF you believe the Packers will be better for it, then you can wait and watch. Maybe you'll be right, maybe not but there are better things to do than hate a bunch of people you see as blind loyalists.

This is really a great time to be a Packer fan. We get to learn about messy squabbles and watch football at the same time. Look on the bright side of things and don't let your lives revolve around what happens iwth the Packers or Brett Favre. It's a fun distraction, not a reason for depression, anger or disgust. Just have fun with it. That's why we follow.

Honestly it is a horrible time to be a Packer fan. Regardless how you feel about Brett Favre, Ted Thompson, or Mike McCarthy it is embarrassing and pathetic situation for this organization to be in.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Amen, Nutz.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Honestly it is a horrible time to be a Packer fan. Regardless how you feel about Brett Favre, Ted Thompson, or Mike McCarthy it is embarrassing and pathetic situation for this organization to be in.

Agreed. The Favre saga is fascinating in a train wreck sort of way. But it is destructive for the packers, fans and Favre. 100% of it should have been done behind the scenes.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 09:43 PM

I, personally, think it makes Brett look horrible but I'm not worried about it. They'll show up, work their tails off in practice and meetings. The only time they'll deal with this is when they're asked questions during the 30 minute media sessions each day. Other than that everyone has a job to earn. I don't think it's a horrible time to be a Packer fan. I'm still looking forward to the season becaue I feel very strrongly about this TEAM. I'm intrigued as hell to get a look at Rodgers too.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Interesting wrinkle to the fiasco - those people who have said Favre won't go to the Jets or the Bucs - see below:

That agreement, presumably, would be a trade. The New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have emerged as two potential trade partners for the Packers, and Favre told si.com that he would consider a trade to any team.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25872717/

If this is the case - then it really is on the Pack now.[/quote]

boiga
07-27-2008, 09:56 PM
According to an anonymous source at the Press Gazette, Brett doesn't like the bucs or jets, but could be convinced after a talk with their coach.

All he's angling for is a guarantee of playing time, in my opinion.

Partial
07-27-2008, 10:02 PM

In retrospect, your boy TT looks like an idiot for not pulling the Moss trigger. He set an NFL record for touchdowns and was as good of an influence as we could have asked for. Hell, maybe he would have put us over the top and got us a superbowl win.LIke he helped the Patriots win the SUper Bowl. Oh wait. The only one that looks like an idiot is you.

No, its impossible to tell. Who knows how good they'd have been without him. We know that we were damn close. Imagine having Jennings as a 3 and Driver as a 2. Our offense would have been that much better.

The Shadow
07-27-2008, 10:03 PM
"In retrospect, your boy TT looks like an idiot..."

Brilliant! You have the entire weight of the NFL, who voted Thompson 'Executive of the Year" behind you on that one.

The Shadow
07-27-2008, 10:05 PM
"Honestly it is a horrible time to be a Packer fan."

It's NEVER a horrible time to be a Packer fan.
The Green Bay Packers are the best sports enterprise of the Cosmos!

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I say bring it on. I don't think Clifton gives two shits about Favre. Driver is about his only friend on this team. Maybe Al Harris.

You really have no clue do you. Maybe if TT would let you come up for air more often you wouldn't be such a fucking idiot.

Guiness
07-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Digitadean wrote:

This is what really has me perplexed. [snip]

I'm with you two on this one.

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 10:27 PM

Sorry, just don't see any good at him coming to camp and I don't think that the team will go on as if nothing happened. Not when it comes to Favre - the leader of the team last year .

Reminds me of when the Cult INSISTED that Wahle and Rivera, with a chance to take care of their families for years with a new fat contract, would gladly take less money to 'win one for Brett Favre'.

I think many of the players are a bit tired of Favre hogging the spotlight and the media attention, as well as holding their team hostage every year with the diva routine. They are pros, and want to be recognized for at least playing some itty bitty role in the Packers success.

Your posts are getting almost as bad as JH's.

Zool
07-27-2008, 10:27 PM

Yours are reaching Tank level. Which is worse?

Partial
07-27-2008, 10:29 PM

Debatable.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 10:32 PM

Debatable.

Tank was funny sometimes. JH? Not intentionally.

Zool
07-27-2008, 10:38 PM

Debatable.

We have very different ideas about Tanks humor level. I guess if you consider laughing at him funny.

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 10:42 PM

Who is Tank? Zool,don't worry your closing on Harrell.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 10:42 PM

Debatable.

We have very different ideas about Tanks humor level. I guess if you consider laughing at him funny.

Tank was a right dick sometimes, but when he was in character I found him to be quite amusing. He was best in the RR, however. When he brought himself into the Pack Chat it usually turned bad.

Zool
07-27-2008, 10:50 PM

So long as I dont come to an internet forum spewing BS so I can get my "LOOK AT ME" fix, I'm OK with whatever you have to say. How long till you start singing the praises of Coldplay?

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 10:57 PM

So long as I dont come to an internet forum spewing BS so I can get my "LOOK AT ME" fix, I'm OK with whatever you have to say. How long till you start singing the praises of Coldplay?

I can assure you that if you EVER see a post of mine that praises Coldplay I have either started drinking very heavily again,or aliens have taken over my body.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 11:03 PM

Was a long and dark December....

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 01:09 AM

FAVRE SAYS THOMPSON BEGGED HIM NOT TO RETURN

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2008, 3:03 p.m.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Packers quarterback Brett Favre has signed a letter requesting reinstatement, but that Favre might not send it until Monday or Tuesday.

Per Mort, Favre says that G.M. Ted Thompson “pleaded” with Favre to give the team more time to figure out the situation.

“I asked Ted [Saturday], ‘Am I welcome in the building if I report?’ and Ted was just about shattered,” Favre said.

“He said, ‘Brett, you can’t do that — you’ll get me fired.’

I told him I’m not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let’s try to resolve this over the next two or three days.”

Favre also said he’s getting pressure from his agent, Bus Cook, and his wife, Deanna, to move forward.

“Deanna, Bus, everyone here [in Mississippi] says, ‘You’re so stupid, letting [the Packers] play you like this,” Favre said. “They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so.”

Favre also said that he asked Thompson to let him genuinely compete for the starting job in Green Bay.

“I said, ‘Let me compete, you’ll know I’ll win this job’ and Ted said again, ‘Brett, things have changed. Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback.’

It’s pretty clear — and this is what I told the commissioner — that they want me to go away, stay retired. They would much rather see me in a Packers’ uniform, paying me $12 million to be a backup — which you know they really don’t want — rather than see in another uniform, no matter what they say. They’ll drag this out, asking a king’s ransom [in a trade], hoping it all goes away.”

And so the situation, which seemed two days ago to be destined to resolve amicably, is getting uglier.

If Favre is portraying his call with Thompson accurately (and it’s possible that Favre is exaggerating, to put it kindly), the Packers are backed into a corner, and it very well could be that their only options are to genuinely welcome him back, or let him walk.

Finally, these latest developments make Taco Bill’s newest offering even more appropriate.

Bretsky
07-28-2008, 07:53 AM
My gut tells me Favre knew all along the Packers did not want him to show and have been angling for him to retire; this should really not be a surprise to anybody

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2008, 08:12 AM
LOL...at bretskys sig

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 08:37 AM
My gut tells me Favre knew all along the Packers did not want him to show and have been angling for him to retire; this should really not be a surprise to anybody

B. You and I know that.

As amongst loyal Packer fans that see and feel the immensity of the pain in this ugly mess as it will be written into GREEN BAY PACKER HISTORY.

That's all you and I need to sense B. As we watch this whole thing play out. We and others here and in Packer Nation sense the real reason for our misery.

We understand just how this has hurt a Packer Legend. That really bothers me. It should never have gone down this way. It's way beyond UGLY at present. Where's it going?

Favre should never have been expected to stay dow after he was kicked to the ground. Why?

Brett Favre is Brett Favre. We have seen that and just that for some 270+ consecutive Packer games.

I go back to a question I've had in my crop and something that stirs me ' deep in the gut ' since just before the first snap of the ball in the N Y Giants @ Green Bay Packers NFC Championship game.

What was MM thinking that week as he prepared for that game at that time of year?

This maybe. . . '' A few 'indoor' practises boys. Piece of cake Packers. We own this one. '' **

My opinion: Indoor practises !?? Come on!! :idea:

and ** Inspiring? Well my faith informs this Packer fan that one day we who want and need to know . Will know it all B and all others that love Brett Favre and really feel he deserved more on OUR team then we've witnessed in 2008.

The damned damn themselves. Mess in wrong and you wrong yourself. All blame falls on your head if you don't use your head for ' the right ' and in your best interests in your LIFE. I learned ' that way ' from a lot of sources in my lifetime and wanted to share it with this forum because I catre about all.

That's not anything to do with hatred. It's a lot to do with concern. This story exceeds Packer History. Packer Upper Management. Ted Thompson. Mike McCarthy. Aaron Rodgers. The Packer players. Packer FANS... and now apparantly and sadly for me and other's here. Last and least? Brett Favre.

Brett Favre!? Come on! :(

Today. Ted Thompson still has a way out. A clear out and trading Favre sure isn't that way B. That's too silly and bad for Ted Thompson. So Packer fans. We're seeing Ted Thompson posing again. He wants too high a price. A FIRST ROUND ' Compensatory ' PICK hahaa for a castoff Brett Favre. I see a contradiction in that and that's falling badly all over Ted Thompson.

Translation Packer fans. Our Packer GM..Ted Thompson is playing the I'll be my shit, shitty again card. Ted Thompson wants to force all buyers
( even maybe interested in Brett Favre ) away from Ted Thompsons table.

I have always seen this right.Ted Thompson has made every move with one focus and clear agenda in sight. Remove Brett Favre and do so delicately.That has been as a result. A delicate balancing act for Ted Thompson.

B. with ALL respect to YOU and all members at Packerrats.

You can fool some of the people some of the time. You can fool some people all of the time. ** You can't fool some people any of the time.

Some of us here may spin it differently, than I woodbuck27 has and does. We are still on the same page. I believe that. We're embarassed and as Packer fans shamed for Ted Thompson's way. We realize again.

Ted Thompson's stinking up his joint again.

He's got to get out of the way of himself. I'm pulling for him again even after all the times he did have a better way. I carry perpetual hope inside of me for Ted Thompson.

HOPE. Always 'the Best way' in my experience. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

Guiness
07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
"In retrospect, your boy TT looks like an idiot..."

Brilliant! You have the entire weight of the NFL, who voted Thompson 'Executive of the Year" behind you on that one.

I'm guessing he won't be a repeat winner!

Not saying he looks like an idiot, but there's no possible way for him to come out of the Favre and Grant situations smelling like a rose!!!

Bretsky
07-28-2008, 05:17 PM
LOL...at bretskys sig

Thanks Mobb