PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Offer to Grant "Insulting"

cpk1994
07-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Per JSO:
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/27/agent-packers-offer-to-grant-quot-insulting-quot.aspx

EDIT: title spelling fixed

Jimx29
07-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Yet another sign that TT's ego is far larger than anyone ever expected.
Effin moron...... :roll:

Lurker64
07-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Or you know, Grant's agent is asking for way too much based on only half a season's work. Why is everything always TT's fault?

Rastak
07-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Or you know, Grant's agent is asking for way too much based on only half a season's work. Why is everything always TT's fault?

I think it's the asshole media asking loaded and leading questions..... :lol:

Brohm
07-27-2008, 05:35 PM
I hope the agent isn't thinking that Grant is comparable to Hester. Who's the moron then?

gex
07-27-2008, 05:35 PM

As the omni-potent king of all that is packer nation TT must take the blame along with the praise. :lol:

Fritz
07-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Sounds like Ted offered him twelve bucks an hour, with a raise in six months to thirteen and a half.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Or, Numb's being sarcastic.

Since when do agents whine to the press about contract negotiations. This dude needs to be fired immediately and Grant needs a real agent.

falco
07-27-2008, 05:37 PM
what is the date by which he must report to get an accrued season? or is that irrelevant since he has not signed his tender?

Fritz
07-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Seems like lotsa agents use the media as a bargaining tool.

Y'kniw, if Grant owned the only football, he could just take it and go home. He'd have a hell of a lot more leverage that way.

falco
07-27-2008, 05:41 PM
to me, this whole thing is going to have a bigger impact on our team this year than the favre controversy

imscott72
07-27-2008, 05:43 PM

Since when do agents whine to the press about contract negotiations. This dude needs to be fired immediately and Grant needs a real agent.

I think his agent is taking advantage of the Favre situation knowing many fans are upset with TT and his handling of that. Clearly he's trying to turn even more fans against TT in hoping he lands a big deal for Grant. Grant played half a season. He doesn't deserve Hester type money. Hold your ground TT.

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 05:48 PM

I think his agent is taking advantage of the Favre situation knowing many fans are upset with TT and his handling of that. Clearly he's trying to turn even more fans against TT in hoping he lands a big deal for Grant. Grant played half a season. He doesn't deserve Hester type money. Hold your ground TT.

Well if it backfired on Favre, what in hell makes him think this will work in Grant's favor especially knowing how tight teams keep these negotiations. Grant has to remember that the Packers don't actually HAVE to do shit. Grant at this point practically IS slave labor (well-paid for a slave but still) and if he's not careful could wind up right out of a job.

boiga
07-27-2008, 05:50 PM
I think his agent is taking advantage of the Favre situation knowing many fans are upset with TT and his handling of that. Clearly he's trying to turn even more fans against TT in hoping he lands a big deal for Grant. Grant played half a season. He doesn't deserve Hester type money. Hold your ground TT.Agreed. I lost all respect for Herman when he started complaining about not being contacted by the Packers for a whole TWO DAYS.

He's talking to the media after every minor discussion with the organization and trying to get the media on his side, a la Favre. Grant needs a new agent who will understand that even if he gets underpaid now, Ted'll take care of him if he outperforms his contract, just like Driver, Harris, Kampman, and every other veteran on this roster.

Heck, Hester didn't even deserve Hester money

imscott72
07-27-2008, 05:52 PM

Well if it backfired on Favre, what in hell makes him think this will work in Grant's favor especially knowing how tight teams keep these negotiations. Grant has to remember that the Packers don't actually HAVE to do shit. Grant at this point practically IS slave labor (well-paid for a slave but still) and if he's not careful could wind up right out of a job.

He won't be out of a job. It worked for Javon Walker. Walker got two huge deals if memory serves me correctly by whining and getting traded despite being damaged goods.

Brohm
07-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah I don't understand the agen being a prick when the options are: compromise or sit with no money or accrued time and age a year just to end up back where you started + get a bad rep while TT finds some other piece to plug in the ZBS :?:

As it has been pointed out many times, the Packers don't have to do anything. Guess the agent wants to get his big cut now as Grant is 25, probably cuts bait with him as he won't ever be a cash cow once this one is done.

Farley Face
07-27-2008, 05:56 PM
If I am to believe his agent this does appear to be a lowball offer, but I agree Hester money is not a starting point for negotiation. I believe TT and crew want him signed but to a deal that recognizes his mere 8 game resume'.

Complete BS his jackarse agent is choosing to negotiate through the media. Low class and ultimately ineffective in my opinion. Does TT seem like a guy that gives a crap about the media?

MJZiggy
07-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Dude just has sleazebag written all over him. Then again do we know of any agents who aren't sleazebags these days?

sheepshead
07-27-2008, 06:10 PM

wait a minute--you immediately side with an agent in case like this?

ND72
07-27-2008, 06:16 PM

Grant has yet to put in a full season, so why dish out the money without proof? make it an incentives based contract, and let it increase next year if he reaches this years bench marks.

bobblehead
07-27-2008, 06:18 PM
My my how people come around to my point of view as we move on. I tried to say he has no leverage and really needs to sign his tender, get another solid 10 games in then ask for a nice contract. And just as I said, we need to get something from him...like 5-6 years of contract.

We can't compare to the bears, they are assclowns....Uhrlacher whines...gets 10 mill....hester whines....gets 10 mill. Hester is a one trick pony....good trick, but so was that dude with kansas city, the human joystick, forget his name. How valuable is hester when every team figures out to simply kick away from him? Desmond Howard to the raiders anyone?

ND72
07-27-2008, 06:24 PM
My my how people come around to my point of view as we move on. I tried to say he has no leverage and really needs to sign his tender, get another solid 10 games in then ask for a nice contract. And just as I said, we need to get something from him...like 5-6 years of contract.

We can't compare to the bears, they are assclowns....Uhrlacher whines...gets 10 mill....hester whines....gets 10 mill. Hester is a one trick pony....good trick, but so was that dude with kansas city, the human joystick, forget his name. How valuable is hester when every team figures out to simply kick away from him? Desmond Howard to the raiders anyone?

THANK YOU! :hug:

falco
07-27-2008, 06:26 PM
i really hope they play hardball here - as much as we need grant, he needs to see that green bay has his tit in the proverbial wringer

the best part is, you can say "hey, maybe he'll be forced to play but he won't sign that new contract later in the season when he is doing well", but in the long run he has no choice but to play in GB for a long while anyway - plenty of time to find a replacement

Farley Face
07-27-2008, 06:28 PM
He is a dynamic player with a case of fumble-itis and no leverage. Yeah let's throw him $10 mill in guaranteed cash and hope for the best.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 06:43 PM
By this logic Samkon Gado deserved Devin Hester money.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 06:44 PM
He is a dynamic player with a case of fumble-itis and no leverage. Yeah let's throw him $10 mill in guaranteed cash and hope for the best.

In Grant's defense, he only had two fumbles on the year before the Seattle game.

Guiness
07-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Well, at least we now have some numbers to consider.

$1.75 mil signing for a 6yr contract is indeed chump change - but, once again, we're talking about a guy who played for half a season. We were expecting an incentive laden contract, not big money up front. He's right, this is a unique situation; offering big $$$ up front would be what you do in a normal situation to an elite player, not in this situation.

The other comment though, that if he produced the #'s he did last year, he'd get less than $1mil are a cause for concern, but that's an apples and oranges thing. First of all, I hope he'd put up better numbers over a full season than what he did in half a season...and would 950yds and 8tds be deserving of huge dollars? Maybe not, but I would think it's worth more than $1million though.

bobblehead - the 'human joystick' was Dante Hall - traded to St-L before last season for a 3rd and 5th rounder. I actually mentioned him in the Hester thread.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 07:02 PM
I know Grant played well last year but we only had a couple underdeveloped rookies. Now those two rookies have made great physical and mental strides. I hope the Packers take a strong stand here.

Zool
07-27-2008, 07:04 PM
I sure as hell hope they don't. Without Brett, there's about $30mil under the cap. Give the kid a check up front and tons of incentives.

ND72
07-27-2008, 07:35 PM
I sure as hell hope they don't. Without Brett, there's about $30mil under the cap. Give the kid a check up front and tons of incentives.

Agreed. Don't overpay, but give him a big thank you, and then you can earn it as we go.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 07:35 PM

Agreed. We've got the money. Frontloaded, incentive-laden contract is the way to go.

falco
07-27-2008, 07:44 PM

Agreed. We've got the money. Frontloaded, incentive-laden contract is the way to go.

obviously we know very little, but it appears they are trying to do just that

falco
07-27-2008, 07:50 PM
this shit pisses me off to no end

"If he does what he did last year, he wouldn't even earn $1 million," Herman said of the 956 yards and eight touchdowns Grant produced last season.

here is what I want to know

a) how much will grant make this year if he signs the tender? more than $1 million???

b) how much will he earn this year if he DOESN'T sign the tender??? zero? how about the year after that?

his options are pretty freaking limited

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 08:02 PM
This is exactly what is wrong with the NFL. Grant had a very good half of a season, yet he is fighting an up hill battle to get paid, mean while a guy like Darren McFadden hasn't played a snap in the NFL and is making over ten million a year. Grant doesn't have much under his belt as a proven player in the NFL, but these rookies have nothing and are making more than pro bowl players.

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2008, 08:02 PM
As somebody said in the blog after the article, getting the Grant situation resolved is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than the whole Favre mess. Nothing would hurt Packer prospects this year more than not having Grant or having him unmotivated.

I've been one of Thompson's biggest supporters in just about every context, but he loses me if he persists in low-balling a legitimate budding superstar, Grant.

Give the man a six year contract for a little more per year than Hester got. He's worth it.

digitaldean
07-27-2008, 08:04 PM

I'm all for that.

I'm also all done with these agents/players that have to do all their talking through media.

gex
07-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Play hardball TT don't let these players think they can push you around.

I hope he trades Grants ass,

He has missed ota's and now training camp, we don't need that kind of player on our team.

Grant is only thinking about Grant.

VegasPackFan
07-27-2008, 08:37 PM
I do think the agent is trying to get the media to just pile on with this TT thing, ala Favre.

We do need Grant, though, and I agree that you should give him a nice signing bonus as a way to say 'thank you for stepping up last year" and then give him big incentives to continue on the path.

Put it in there that if he has another great season, they will negotaite a longer term, guranteed deal next off season or something.

This way, he gets compensated for his great performance last year (albeit limited), stays motivated this year, and we find out if he is the real deal or not.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 08:42 PM
I've been one of Thompson's biggest supporters in just about every context, but he loses me if he persists in low-balling a legitimate budding superstar, Grant.

Sums it up for me too, Tex. I love TT to death, but he always pulls of this lowballing shit. I remember when he gave the most pathetic lowball to Jon Ryan coming out of the CFL. I know, he was a CFL player, but it was downright pathetic.

If TT does this too often he's going to prevent players from even looking at Green Bay. Once you get a reputation, it sticks with you.

Give Grant 4 years.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Play hardball TT don't let these players think they can push you around.

I hope he trades Grants ass,

He has missed ota's and now training camp, we don't need that kind of player on our team.

Grant is only thinking about Grant.

He was at OTAs he just didn't participate physically.

RashanGary
07-27-2008, 08:45 PM
He didn't lowball Kampman, Pickett, Woodson, Tausher (when he gave him extra money with no extention), Driver, Jenkins or Poppinga.

I guess he does lowball agents and players when they try to force their way out of a contract way too early. He did that with Walker and now Grant.

DannoMac21
07-27-2008, 08:47 PM
*Sigh*

Things are not looking good right now for Packer fans. Yes, we're very close to getting the Favre controversy out of the way. But we haven't signed one rookie. We haven't signed Grant.

Joemailman
07-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Actually, I believe the rookies are all signed.

Zool
07-27-2008, 08:49 PM
*Sigh*

Things are not looking good right now for Packer fans. Yes, we're very close to getting the Favre controversy out of the way. But we haven't signed one rookie. We haven't signed Grant.

Actually i believe the count is at 4 rookies signed.

imscott72
07-27-2008, 08:51 PM
The rookies are all signed as of today..

Zool
07-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Ahh I missed this one.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/07/27/1/

Packers Sign Draft Picks Nelson, Brohm And Lee

posted 07/27/2008

The Green Bay Packers have signed wide receiver Jordy Nelson, quarterback Brian Brohm and cornerback Pat Lee. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the signings Sunday.

Nelson, the team's first of three second-round selections (No. 36 overall), enjoyed the most prolific single season in Kansas State history with 122 receptions for 1,606 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2007. The 6-foot-3, 217-pound player returned two punts for scores and threw two touchdown passes as a senior. He was a consensus All-America selection and one of three finalists for the Biletnikoff Award.

Brohm, a 6-foot-3, 223-pound signal caller, was selected No. 56 overall. A three-year starter at Louisville, he finished his career as the Big East's all-time leader in passing yards (10,775) and completions (780). He led the Big East in total offense and passing for three straight seasons (2005-07) and was awarded all-conference honors each year.

Lee, Green Bay's third second-round pick (No. 60 overall), earned second-team All-SEC recognition from the Associated Press in 2007. A 6-foot, 194-pound player from Auburn, Lee led the team with 12 passes defensed last season and tied for the team lead with four interceptions.

Bretsky
07-27-2008, 10:39 PM

Gosh I hope you are kidding

Partial
07-27-2008, 10:40 PM
He didn't lowball Kampman, Pickett, Woodson, Tausher (when he gave him extra money with no extention), Driver, Jenkins or Poppinga.

I guess he does lowball agents and players when they try to force their way out of a contract way too early. He did that with Walker and now Grant.

What? He definitely lowballed Kampman. Kampman is extremely underpaid for what he does. Tauscher and Clifton are still paid pretty low.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 10:44 PM

What? He definitely lowballed Kampman. Kampman is extremely underpaid for what he does. Tauscher and Clifton are still paid pretty low.

They accepted their contracts, did they not?

Contracts are just going up and up, one year can make a helluva difference.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2008, 10:54 PM

Partial, stick to what you know. It's in the Romper Room. At the time Kampman signed, his contract was not a lowball offer. Kampman had come off a 6.5 sack season and got a very nice package. Many thought we overpaid for him. You don't resign a guy on the verge of FA without offering a fair deal.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=1937&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

The Leaper
07-28-2008, 09:27 AM
offering big $$$ up front would be what you do in a normal situation to an elite player, not in this situation.

1.75M isn't big money...it isn't even mediocre money by NFL standards. It is exactly what Grant's agent called it...insulting.

Poppinga is anything but elite...and he got twice what Grant was offered. If Grant is willing to sign a long term deal (5+ years) that is highly incentive laden, then the Packers should be willing to pony up around $4M in bonus coin.

Grant proved he is a capable starter last year...and has the potential to be a very good RB. He's worth way more than a 1.75M signing bonus.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Gosh I hope you are kidding

Good Lord MJZiggy what has happened to YOU? :idea:

Look inside of yourself please. I see you eating yourself up. That's just sad to me. I care for YOU. :)

PACKERS FOREVER!

boiga
07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
The difference between Poppinga and Grant is that Brady would be a free man at the end of the season. Grant either plays for us or goes home for another two years.

Sure Grant is the more valuable player, but there's not reason to pay market value for a guy who can't go on the market. I agree they should give him so fiscal security, but holding out for Hester money won't help anyone.

The Leaper
07-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Sure Grant is the more valuable player, but there's not reason to pay market value for a guy who can't go on the market. I agree they should give him so fiscal security, but holding out for Hester money won't help anyone.

Grant doesn't seem to be looking to break the bank. A starting tailback capable of putting up 1500 yards and 10+ TDs in a season (which Grant seems able to do based on half a season of work) banks more coin than even Hester got. Grant certainly isn't going to get market value...we all know that.

A 1.75M bonus in today's NFL is an insult. It speaks poorly of Thompson IMO. Don't kid yourself...players around the league see this shit. Market value for Grant if he was an UFA? $20M bonus? Maybe more?

boiga
07-28-2008, 10:04 AM
I agree... but we also haven't seen the full contract. There's supposed to be a lot of meat on this thing in the form of incentives. Sure, if he runs less the 1000 yards over the course of the season, he won't get paid squat, but to accomplish in a full year what he did in half a season last year would make him a bust anyways.

We don't know what he would get paid if he runs for 1500 yards, gets a probowl birth, or scores 10 touchdowns... all of which are attainable goals considering his performance last year.

If that level of performance nets him 5 million a year, then everyone should be happy, and they'd likely renegotiate something more stable in two or three years. According to the news sources, Russ Ball only slashed the guaranteed portion of the contract Herman asked for, not the incentive part. If the incentives were through the moon, Ball would be right to cut down on the guarantees.

MadScientist
07-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Dude just has sleazebag written all over him. Then again do we know of any agents who aren't sleazebags these days?
There are agents that aren't sleazebags, they are the ones you don't know because the deals get done, the players and teams are happy, or at least satisfied. They also tend not to do their negotiating through the press.

bobblehead
07-28-2008, 11:45 AM

Grant doesn't seem to be looking to break the bank. A starting tailback capable of putting up 1500 yards and 10+ TDs in a season (which Grant seems able to do based on half a season of work) banks more coin than even Hester got. Grant certainly isn't going to get market value...we all know that.

A 1.75M bonus in today's NFL is an insult. It speaks poorly of Thompson IMO. Don't kid yourself...players around the league see this shit. Market value for Grant if he was an UFA? $20M bonus? Maybe more?

Actually his agent left out everything except the bonus. We don't actually know what he was offered. All we know is that a guy who played 8 NFL games and 2 playoff games (1 good with 2 fumbles, one bad) was offered a 1.75 million bonus....that is IT. For all we know his contract could get HUGE if he performs. If the agent wants this in the press, put the ENTIRE offer in the press.

The Leaper
07-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Guaranteed money is what counts in the NFL...at least in terms of contract negotiation.

I understand Grant isn't going to get a huge bonus...but 20-25% of what he could expect on the open market is a reasonable place to start, don't you think?

Less than 10%? Insulting.

Fritz
07-28-2008, 11:57 AM

Partial, stick to what you know. It's in the Romper Room. At the time Kampman signed, his contract was not a lowball offer. Kampman had come off a 6.5 sack season and got a very nice package. Many thought we overpaid for him. You don't resign a guy on the verge of FA without offering a fair deal.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=1937&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Agreed. If Kampman - or any of the players - were so underpaid, why would they sign?

bobblehead
03-08-2009, 04:11 PM
This is the best bump I could find about Grants agent running to the press. Unfortunately the link is no longer active, but rats reactions are still here.

Patler
03-08-2009, 04:15 PM
This is the best bump I could find about Grants agent running to the press. Unfortunately the link is no longer active, but rats reactions are still here.

Here's an active link to another paper at the same time:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/298109

bobblehead
03-09-2009, 01:33 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29548649.html

yea, I also found this link today. TT wanted 6 years to buy out some FA years and offered 1.75 mil up front and the agent went apeshit. For a guy with ZERO leverage I thought TT might have been being fair (especially since the agent left out ALL other details).

In the end Grant pocketed over 5 million last year which he didn't earn, and he will pocket more this year which I hope to God he will earn. If not he will be gone, rich and a flop.

Patler
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29548649.html

In the end Grant pocketed over 5 million last year which he didn't earn, and he will pocket more this year which I hope to God he will earn. If not he will be gone, rich and a flop.

I don't know, Grant didn't have as great a year as we had hoped he might, but I have a hard time calling it a flop, or part of what will be a flopped career if he has the same sort of year next year. I think your standards might be a little too high.

1200+ yards, no matter how you get it, has value.

Having an elite back like Green, with the 4.5-5 yards/carry averages year after year spoiled us. There have been many really good backs who haven't come close to the types of numbers Green put up. Some haven't approached what Grant did last year.

If Grant completes the last three years of his contract exactly as he did in 2008, his first year under the contract, he will be the 3rd leading rusher in Packer history. Would you consider that a flop, and not worth the $15M-$17M he might earn doing it?

You can complain about his average, his lack of long runs, what ever. It still comes down to the fact that only six times has a Packer back gained more yards rushing than Grant did in 2008, and only three players did it. Grant's average in 2008 (3.9) equaled Levens' career average with the Packers, and surpassed Edgar Bennett's Packer career average of 3.6 by a fair amount.

All in all, 2008 wasn't that bad for Grant, even if it wasn't as good as hoped for.