PDA

View Full Version : article on Junius Coston

motife
06-10-2006, 01:46 AM
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/sports/14783691.htm

Coston makes big jump to lead role
Associated Press
GREEN BAY, Wis. - Junius Coston wasn't sure what the future held after enduring what was a lost rookie season all the way around.

The Green Bay Packers hit rock bottom with a 4-12 record.

Worse yet, Coston saw the field in only two games, both for cameo appearances.

"It was tougher than anything I ever did as far as football-wise," said Coston, who's played since he was a sophomore in high school. "Especially we didn't have that good of a season, so it makes it even worse. It was pretty bad."

The bad, though, brought out the good in Coston, a fifth-round draft pick out of North Carolina A&T. With the arrival of a new head coach in Mike McCarthy, who replaced a fired Mike Sherman, came a new approach on offense and a belated opportunity for the young offensive lineman.

After nearly three months of offseason workouts, Coston has emerged as the leading candidate to start for the Packers next season at right guard. He's been manning the spot with the No. 1 offense in practice.

"He's gotten better from the offseason program through the minicamps and now the OTAs (organized team activities). He's steadily improving," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "What he's doing is he's stacking good practices on top of each other. That's how you get better."

The Packers have been searching for a capable replacement since Pro Bowler Marco Rivera bolted for Dallas in free agency last offseason. Coston, who incidentally has Rivera's old uniform number (62), has his sights set on taking over the position on a permanent basis.

Never mind that he lacks the all-important NFL game experience that makes him a 22-year-old "redshirt" rookie this year. He was summoned to line up at left tackle for the final three offensive plays of the Packers' 52-3 rout of New Orleans on Oct. 9 and was in on one special-teams play two weeks later at Minnesota.

"I really didn't know what to expect (after last season), to tell you the truth," Coston said. "I just knew I was going to be here in the offseason and try to do my best to put myself in the best position."

Coston's extensive time as a bench warmer all last season and the fact he played in the small-school Division I-AA college ranks didn't concern the new coaches. They pegged him as starting caliber from the start of the offseason program March 20.

"I'm kind of a fan of Junius. He's a versatile player, and I think he has a chance to be a good player," general manager Ted Thompson said. "For a lot of these fellas who never have been into the fray on the NFL level, it will be a new experience. (But) we feel pretty confident that he can play."

Thompson drafted Coston as a center, where he started his last two seasons in college. He also started at right tackle as a sophomore and played some at both guard spots his freshman year.

Moving to right guard on a full-time basis has opened Coston's eyes. Jagodzinski, though, hasn't been dissuaded in the least by the development of Coston at the position. Jagodzinski said that the 6-foot-3-inch, 312-pound Coston is the prototype for right guard in the Packers' newly implemented zone-blocking scheme, which requires the interior linemen to be relatively svelte.

"He's athletic. He can stay on his feet. He has power. He can redirect. He does a lot of the things we're looking for. He's what they're supposed to look like," Jagodzinski said.

Coston is in sharp contrast to 338-pound Will Whitticker, who was the starter at right guard as a rookie for most of last season but doesn't fit the new scheme. Whitticker has been working at left tackle in place of Chad Clifton, who's recovering from knee surgery.

Jagodzinski said he won't know until the preseason whether Coston can cut it as a starter.

Rookie Jason Spitz, a third-round draft pick, is Coston's top challenger. Daryn Colledge, a second-round draft pick this year, is the front-runner at left guard.

"I haven't seen him in pads yet," Jagodzinski said of Coston. "Some guys look great in shorts, and when you come in to pads, then some guys disappear. Some guys disappear during shorts and show up in pads. We just have to reserve judgment on the kind of performer he is until we see him going full go in pads. But, we really like the things he's doing right now."

Without getting ahead of himself, the soft-spoken Coston was forthright about what a place in the starting lineup would mean on opening day, Sept. 10, after a year of inactivity.

"I can't even explain it to you. It would mean the world to me," he said.

BF4MVP
06-10-2006, 01:53 AM
Very nice article. I hope "Juice" does well.

Harlan Huckleby
06-10-2006, 04:43 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/?id=348760

Whitticker the surprise of training camp
Rookie poised to start at guard
By ROB REISCHEL
August 18, 2005

Green Bay - Two short years ago, Will Whitticker was wondering whether his football future was a thing of the past.

Will Whitticker has impressed coaches in camp and could be the starting right guard when the season opens.

Set to enter his junior year at Michigan State, the Spartans' coaching staff was down on Whitticker. They didn't think he worked hard enough off the field. And they didn't always care for his effort on it, either.

So despite the fact Whitticker had started 19 games during his first two years, the MSU coaches stripped him of that privilege. And Whitticker spent the 2003 season backing up Paul Harker, a little-used player before that.

"They thought I was slacking off and he just won the job over me," Whitticker said. "I guess it was kind of a wake-up call."

Whatever it was, it worked. Today, Whitticker would have to qualify as perhaps the greatest surprise in the Green Bay Packers training camp.

Whitticker was Green Bay's starting right guard last Thursday in the Packers' exhibition season opener against San Diego and figures to draw the start Saturday when Green Bay travels to Buffalo. And if Whitticker continues to hold his own, he could very well be Green Bay's starter at that position when the Packers open the regular season Sept. 11 at Detroit.

"It's all taking me by surprise," said Whitticker, who regained his starting job during his senior year at MSU. "You're grateful when you're given that opportunity to go out there. What's going on right now, I wouldn't ever have imagined it."

Whitticker was taken in the seventh round of April's draft and began training camp as a good bet to spend the year on the practice squad.

Now, it would be a surprise if he didn't make Green Bay's final 53-man roster.

"He's emerged," Packers offensive coordinator Tom Rossley said. "You always have rookies that come in and surprise you and he's been one of those guys."

Whitticker certainly doesn't look the part. He's baby-faced and has more than his share of baby fat on that 6-foot-5 3/8 frame.

But the 320-pound Whitticker is a better athlete than he appears.

Whitticker was a basketball center at Marion (Ind.) High School, where he and current Portland Trail Blazers standout Zach Randolph led their school to a state championship in 2000.

Whitticker has ideal size to anchor against bull-rushers. He has good feet, decent quickness and the ability to maneuver in space, which could make him a good fit for a Green Bay offense that asks its guards to pull and trap.

Against San Diego, Whitticker did a nice job getting to the second level and introduced himself to Chargers linebacker Randall Godfrey several times. He was also assignment-sure in the passing game, giving quarterback Brett Favre ample time to throw.

"I'm just grateful to be playing," Whitticker said. "They entrusted me and believed I could come in here and play and contribute and I think I showed that (against San Diego).

"It didn't matter if I was a free agent or got drafted in the first round. I've just got to make the most of my opportunities."

If those opportunities are to continue, Whitticker must continue to erase several knocks against him. Coming out of MSU, scouts ripped his lack of consistency. They didn't think he was powerful enough in the run game and didn't play to his ability all the time.

In Green Bay, though, that hasn't been the case. And while the Packers say nothing is settled at right guard, Whitticker could have a slight edge.

"You've just got to take it day by day and go out there and play hard that day, that play, that practice," Whitticker said. "I've just got to concentrate on that because Sept. 3 is far away when they make the final cuts. And Sept. 11 is even father away."

Still, when that date arrives, Whitticker could become the Packers' first rookie guard to start a season opener since Bill Bain in 1975.

Veteran Matt O'Dwyer was expected to win the job. But he was slowed by a recent neck stinger, then hurt himself against San Diego with holding and off-sides penalties.

"Missing those few days kind of put me in a hole, not knowing if I could even go or not," O'Dwyer said. "With a good week of practice and that game feel, which I haven't had for a long time, it'll be a lot better. But I have work to do."

Atlas Herrion, who spent last year on the practice squad, started at right guard during Green Bay's scrimmage with Buffalo on Aug. 5. But he's been running with the third team of late.

Veteran Grey Ruegamer might be another option at right guard. But if Las Vegas were picking a favorite, it might just tab Whitticker.

"I didn't think this would be happening," Whitticker said. "I just wanted to go out there and play hard and show that I can improve every day. That's the No. 1 thing you've got to do and that's what I've been trying to do."

Which is why his future appears brighter than ever.

Patler
06-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Harlan, it you read articles about the two, the difference is attitude. The article you quoted clearly raised questions about Whittikers drive, motivation, effort. If you read more about Coston it is the opposite, plus they often refer to his "mean streak" when he just keeps after opponents.

That said, I wasn't as down on Whittiker as some last year. But he probably won't fit their new system and will be gone. I would not be surprised to see him surface elsewhere.

Patler
06-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Motife;
Out of curiosity, why is the newspaper in Fort Wayne Indiana carrying an article about a Green Bay packer from North Carolina? Is there some tie to the Fort Wayne area, or Indiana? I can't believe they cover all of the NFL to that extent, an article about a reserve who never played!

mraynrand
06-10-2006, 08:08 AM
That said, I wasn't as down on Whittiker as some last year. But he probably won't fit their new system and will be gone. I would not be surprised to see him surface elsewhere.

It looks like it will depend on whether he has the feet to be a Tackle. He certainly has the size. What up with Clifton, anyway? Is that surgical knee coming along, or is there a problem there?

Harlan Huckleby
06-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Harlan, it you read articles about the two, the difference is attitude. The article you quoted clearly raised questions about Whittikers drive, motivation, effort.

Oh come on. They both are glowing puff-pieces. The criticism of Whittiker was a background caveat, not an emphasis. You are the spin meister!

I'm trying to rain on a parade and all you can do is bring sunshine.

EVERY year there are TONS of training camp rags-to-riches stories. Last summer it was Mike Hawkins and Roy Manning. There will be more this summer. I'm not being cynical, the players may turn out fine, but the stories mean nothing. The real season, against top competition, is all that counts.

Oh ya, and I also am not down on Whittiker. He remains an unknown, he could still be really good with more development.

Bretsky
06-10-2006, 08:29 AM
A wise man named Patler really liked a OL named Atlas Herion, who got some nice press/hype for being on the practice squad all year and working out in GB etc..................

Now Coston certainly deserves more attention since he was a 5th round pick, but I'd point out like HH that at this point the hype doesn't mean a lot to me.

When looking at our interior OL you either believe we're going to be really good using blind faith evidence or you think we'll struggle due to limited or no experience.

And one of the biggest keys to our season will be which side ends up being correct.

Harlan Huckleby
06-10-2006, 08:31 AM
The big problem with Shamler is that he is such a good debator, and so often wrong. These persuasive types can be very dangerous. Hitler in the 1930's comes to mind.

Patler
06-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Oh come on. They both are glowing puff-pieces. The criticism of Whittiker was a background caveat, not an emphasis. You are the spin meister!

That's why I reserve comment until reading numerous articles about them, and I put more stock in the pre-draft analysis articles than team articles after the draft. If you read those, Whittikiers motivation is questioned, though his size/athleticism is not. Coston's experience is questioned along with the large step up he must make in competition level. His atleticism and motivation are not question.

After just two years, you can start to see a difference in the personalities of players drafted by Sherman and Thompson. Sherman took a lot of guys with superior athletic abilities and questionable motivation; like Lee, Washington, even Joey Thomas; and impressive physical specimens whose performance was not up to par like the aforementioned and Chris johnson, Brennan Curtin even Kenny Peterson. He took a few "football guys" like Kampman and Wells, but he was more intrigued by atleticism, like Barnett, Carroll. In reading predraft evaluations of his selections you seldom see descriptions like "tough" "over-achiever" or "mean".

Thompson is a bit the other way. He has drafted a few atletes with less than stellar backgrounds, like Hawkins, and somewhat afterthoughts like Whittiker, but a lot more of the guys reputed to be "tough", "mean" or "football guys", including Collins, Underwood, Poppinga, Coston, Hawk, Colledge, Jennings, Hodge and Spitz. "Tough", "mean" etc. are words used often in their descriptions.

Patler
06-10-2006, 09:04 AM
A wise man named Patler really liked a OL named Atlas Herion, who got some nice press/hype for being on the practice squad all year and working out in GB etc..................

In fairness to Patler, his belief in Atlas Herrion was based on much more than a few puff articles. If I recall correctly (and I am positive that I do!), one thing that stuck out in his mind about Herrion was the fact that GB did NOT designate him for NFL-E while including him near the top of their guard candidates list. They seemed to have some confidence in his ability after having watched him in practices the previous year. He seemed a logical candiated for NFL-E, like Rivera had been.. By not sending him, it seemed to show they wanted him fresh for the season. That is why Patler listed him as a strong darkhorse candiate for guard.

Besides, as Patler stated several times, every team should have a lineman named "Atlas"! :smile:

Bretsky
06-10-2006, 09:09 AM

In fairness to Patler, his belief in Atlas Herrion was based on much more than a few puff articles. If I recall correctly (and I am positive that I do!), one thing that stuck out in his mind about Herrion was the fact that GB did NOT designate him for NFL-E while including him near the top of their guard candidates list. They seemed to have some confidence in his ability after having watched him in practices the previous year. He seemed a logical candiated for NFL-E, like Rivera had been.. By not sending him, it seemed to show they wanted him fresh for the season. That is why Patler listed him as a strong darkhorse candiate for guard.

Besides, as Patler stated several times, every team should have a lineman named "Atlas"! :smile:

Hmmm; you sure do remember what Patler stated pretty well; must have some insider knowledge. It's a complement to Patler, wherever he is, that I recall this so well (who would ever think I'd remember a debate about Atlas Herion or how one defended Matt ODwyer) ; I get into several debates in here and the ones I remember the most are points made by the individuals whose knowledge I respect.

Patler
06-10-2006, 09:12 AM
The big problem with Shamler is that he is such a good debator, and so often wrong. These persuasive types can be very dangerous. Hitler in the 1930's comes to mind.

A typical Harlan "comeback". Plays to the emotions, with no facts, substance or basis whatsoever! A bald, unsupported statement intended to incite and not inform; to appeal and not advise.

Hitler? Pretty low of you HH. But, the intelligent posters of those board will not be swayed. You can not fool them! :mrgreen:

wist43
06-10-2006, 09:18 AM

Now Coston certainly deserves more attention since he was a 5th round pick, but I'd point out like HH that at this point the hype doesn't mean a lot to me.

When looking at our interior OL you either believe we're going to be really good using blind faith evidence or you think we'll struggle due to limited or no experience.

And one of the biggest keys to our season will be which side ends up being correct.

Of course they're going to struggle... I don't think even the most optmistic among us would try to argue that they're going to come out as a well-oiled machine.

You're looking at basically starting 3 rookies in the interior of your line - the talent level of everyone of them an unknown.

That said, I have high hopes for Coston and Colledge... I'm not too high on Wells, although he I think he has a chance. I'd rather see Spitz win the Center job.

Add to that a new blocking scheme, and not much of a threat in the passing game, and there can be no doubt that they're going to struggle.

Patler
06-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Hmmm; you sure do remember what Patler stated pretty well; must have some insider knowledge. It's a complement to Patler, wherever he is, that I recall this so well (who would ever think I'd remember a debate about Atlas Herion or how one defended Matt ODwyer) ; I get into several debates in here and the ones I remember the most are points made by the individuals whose knowledge I respect.

Some how, the things Patler has said just seem to stick with me!

Regarding O'Dwyer - a good pickup by GB, not because he worked out, but because he was a proven, longtime starter who was brought in at no cost and given a chance to fill a hole in the lineup. It wasn't successful, but the Packers were none the worse for having done it. It worked several times in the past with players who were supposedly over the hill.

Patler
06-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I agree with Wist. Go back and read the articles about Rivera and Wahle when they became starters. Both were considered the weakest links by far on the O-line. Each took several years to establish themselves and solidify their spots as starters.

We can't expect Coston or whoever starts on the right side to come in like Clifton and Tauscher did at the tackles a few years back. Collidge, maybe will be a little less shaky simply based on the evaluation justifying his high draft pick. But he too will have growing pains. However, that doesn't mean the offense will be totally ineffective.

Wells I expect will be whatever he really is. He's been around, he has started and played a fair number of games at both center and guard. Not that he won't get better; but I don't expect to see a huge change from whatever he is at the start of the season to later in the season, or next year. He will be whatever he is.

The overall play and coordination of the line should improve for much of the season. With 60% new starters and a new approach, coordination will improve for quite some time.

Bretsky
06-10-2006, 09:40 AM

Of course they're going to struggle... I don't think even the most optmistic among us would try to argue that they're going to come out as a well-oiled machine.

You're looking at basically starting 3 rookies in the interior of your line - the talent level of everyone of them an unknown.

That said, I have high hopes for Coston and Colledge... I'm not too high on Wells, although he I think he has a chance. I'd rather see Spitz win the Center job.

Add to that a new blocking scheme, and not much of a threat in the passing game, and there can be no doubt that they're going to struggle.

It's interesting you aren't on board with Wells.

IMO he's the most capable of the three to step right in and perform at an average level, but in reality his upside is probably the most limited of the three you mentioned.

Colledge could be special if what we read about him and TT's comments are correct, and I'm not buying into the Coston hype til I see him perform. Jury out on Spitz as well but the media/reports we read are that he has a OL mentality and the talent is there.

mraynrand
06-10-2006, 09:42 AM

Q: What happened to Atlas?
A: Atlas Shrugged

Bretsky
06-10-2006, 09:42 AM
I agree with Wist. Go back and read the articles about Rivera and Wahle when they became starters. Both were considered the weakest links by far on the O-line. Each took several years to establish themselves and solidify their spots as starters.

We can't expect Coston or whoever starts on the right side to come in like Clifton and Tauscher did at the tackles a few years back. Collidge, maybe will be a little less shaky simply based on the evaluation justifying his high draft pick. But he too will have growing pains. However, that doesn't mean the offense will be totally ineffective.

Wells I expect will be whatever he really is. He's been around, he has started and played a fair number of games at both center and guard. Not that he won't get better; but I don't expect to see a huge change from whatever he is at the start of the season to later in the season, or next year. He will be whatever he is.

The overall play and coordination of the line should improve for much of the season. With 60% new starters and a new approach, coordination will improve for quite some time.

IF this line develps we could be a serious contented in two years IF Brett Favre stays around. Lots of ifs though.

mraynrand
06-10-2006, 09:44 AM
IF this line develps we could be a serious contented in two years IF Brett Favre stays around. Lots of ifs though.

Or if they develop a serviceable QB, a great running game and a solid defense, they could be very good without a 38 year old Brett Favre.

BF4MVP
06-10-2006, 09:51 AM
So ahh, Shamrockfan, are you Patler? And if so, where's Snoopy?

Scott Campbell
06-10-2006, 09:57 AM
It's summer and were undefeated. I like glowing fluff pieces this time of year.

Scott Campbell
06-10-2006, 10:01 AM

I think you could say almost the same thing about the D-Line too.

RashanGary
06-10-2006, 11:00 AM
If it was still Shermans scheme, I'd be a fan of Whittaker.

As far as how he plays at tackle....I never listed this on my OTA reports, but his feet do not appear to be very quick. He struggles mightily to get out on the edge. It's like he's straining to get his weight moving.

I've seen other NFL tackles look exactly like that but they are usually the ones who are backing up the starter and we abuse them by putting KGB in and edge rushing around him.

I think he looks like crap at tackle. If he lost 20 LBS he'd probably be a little quicker out of his stance and he wouldn't look so helpless gettting back to cover the edge. He is not in great shape and that doesn't help him much. Hopefully he can slim down. If he was lighter I think he might be an effective player.

I agree with shamrock that if he leaves here he'll latch on somewhere else and could be a good starter at RG in most schemes. It won't matter in most schemes if he has that extra weight. There is a point where it gets bad, but whitt looks like an NFL RG right now. He's looks stronger and although he's over weight, he looks alot better than last year IMO. I'm really hoping he can get his weight in check because he's a pretty quick learner and IMO his biggest problem last year was how underdeveloped he was physically. He doesn't have that problem this year but the scheme might run him out of town.

motife
06-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Here's another article about Junius Coston starting that appeared today :

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060610/SPORTS11/106100043/1001
Coston makes leap on depth chart
By Reed Schreck
ROCKFORD REGISTER STAR
GREEN BAY, Wis. — If any holdover’s situation has changed most dramatically from one season to the next, it might be that of Green Bay Packers offensive guard Junius Coston.

He was drafted in the fifth round of the 2005 NFL draft out of North Carolina A&T. The 6-foot-3, 317-pounder saw action in two games as a rookie — against New Orleans on Oct. 9, taking the last three snaps at left tackle; and one play on special teams Oct. 23 against Minnesota.

The rest of the time he was listed as inactive.

Now, he’s manning right guard with the first unit at the team’s organized team activities. Even with the change in coaches from Mike Sherman to Mike McCarthy, the search goes on to replace longtime anchors Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle at the two guard slots.

“It doesn’t matter if I start or not,” Coston said. “If I don’t get my technique right, I get mad at myself.

“I get frustrated at times. Even last year, I put pressure on myself to be perfect every play.”

Coston’s focus is solely on doing things right. Who plays, and how much, will take care of itself.

When Coston feels he does something wrong, he said he tries to correct it “on the next play or next day.”

He literally takes his work home with him.

“I’ll at least look it (the playbook) over even if I feel I know it,” he said.
Draft-day snub

Rookie linebacker Abdul Hodge, chosen in the third round, figured he’d go higher in this year’s NFL draft.

“In a way, it was disappointing,” he said. “I had high production in college. I felt I was one of the better linebackers.

“But everything happens for a reason. I’m in a good situation. I can’t complain about anything.”

OTA?

It stands for organized team activities. They’re going on now and they’re voluntary. But almost all the players are present.

“Until five or six days ago,” Favre said Thursday, “I didn’t know what OTA meant. All I’d heard of was minicamps.

“Any guy doing OTAs would rather be somewhere else. But it’s beneficial for us. I know I needed to be here. When OTAs are over, guys are still going to need training camp. But this gives us a good foundation to start from.”

Bossman641
06-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Here's another article about Junius Coston starting that appeared today :

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060610/SPORTS11/106100043/1001
Coston makes leap on depth chart
By Reed Schreck
ROCKFORD REGISTER STAR
GREEN BAY, Wis. — If any holdover’s situation has changed most dramatically from one season to the next, it might be that of Green Bay Packers offensive guard Junius Coston.

He was drafted in the fifth round of the 2005 NFL draft out of North Carolina A&T. The 6-foot-3, 317-pounder saw action in two games as a rookie — against New Orleans on Oct. 9, taking the last three snaps at left tackle; and one play on special teams Oct. 23 against Minnesota.

The rest of the time he was listed as inactive.

Now, he’s manning right guard with the first unit at the team’s organized team activities. Even with the change in coaches from Mike Sherman to Mike McCarthy, the search goes on to replace longtime anchors Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle at the two guard slots.

“It doesn’t matter if I start or not,” Coston said. “If I don’t get my technique right, I get mad at myself.

“I get frustrated at times. Even last year, I put pressure on myself to be perfect every play.”

Coston’s focus is solely on doing things right. Who plays, and how much, will take care of itself.

When Coston feels he does something wrong, he said he tries to correct it “on the next play or next day.”

He literally takes his work home with him.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ll at least look it (the playbook) over even if I feel I know it,” he said.
Draft-day snub

Rookie linebacker Abdul Hodge, chosen in the third round, figured he’d go higher in this year’s NFL draft.

“In a way, it was disappointing,” he said. “I had high production in college. I felt I was one of the better linebackers.

“But everything happens for a reason. I’m in a good situation. I can’t complain about anything.”

OTA?

It stands for organized team activities. They’re going on now and they’re voluntary. But almost all the players are present.

“Until five or six days ago,” Favre said Thursday, “I didn’t know what OTA meant. All I’d heard of was minicamps.

“Any guy doing OTAs would rather be somewhere else. But it’s beneficial for us. I know I needed to be here. When OTAs are over, guys are still going to need training camp. But this gives us a good foundation to start from.”

Wow Motife, you dig deep.
An article from my home town? Impressive

Harlan Huckleby
06-10-2006, 02:26 PM

A typical Harlan "comeback". Plays to the emotions, with no facts, substance or basis whatsoever! A bald, unsupported statement intended to incite and not inform; to appeal and not advise.

Hitler? Pretty low of you HH. But, the intelligent posters of those board will not be swayed. You can not fool them! :mrgreen:

It appears that I have stepped on toes once again. I am just having a little fun with you, don't be st***y. Shamler, there is no comparison between you and Hitler. He was a much shorter man.

Patler
06-10-2006, 02:39 PM

It appears that I have stepped on toes once again. I am just having a little fun with you, don't be st***y. Shamler, there is no comparison between you and Hitler. He was a much shorter man.

You stepped on no ones toes Harlan. What makes you think you have?
I, too, was just pulling your leash, so to speak.

It never ceases to amaze me how defensive you get when someone responds to your smart alec comments. You immediate jump into the "explain and accuse mode" in which the other person is accused of being offended.

Lighten up man! I'm not offended in the least. After all, your opinion is meaningless to me.

mraynrand
06-10-2006, 04:18 PM
This thread has evolved into the script for "Grumpy Old Men III"

Patler
06-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Now I'm grumpy....and old. :sad: :sad:

Harlan Huckleby
06-10-2006, 07:01 PM
This thread has evolved into the script for "Grumpy Old Men III"

yes, perfect.

swede
06-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Q: What happened to Atlas?
A: Atlas Shrugged

Okay, good one, but let's see you work "The Fountainhead" in somewhere. :smile:

woodbuck27
06-10-2006, 09:15 PM
". . .not much of a threat in the passing game, and there can be no doubt that they're going to struggle." wist

wist. I have taken a similiar attitude as you, regarding the amount of success that I realistically believe the Packers will show us in 2006.

Last season after TC, I saw real problems in store, and I felt they might only win four games, give or take one. I'm not too prowd of my prognostication last season. We all suffered through as much adversity as any fan needs to endure, and it was far worse for the Packers players.

I like to think that was the final wake up call, and this season we will 'in fact' have positives to cheer about.

I like any realistic Packer fan, have real concerns over OUR OL. We will, as it now stands, have to endure three inexperienced players growing pains in the middle of that OL. I'm getting to resent this term we hear now all the time but in fact 'it is what it is' on OUR OL. It will look really sloppy at times but what if. . . .

I don't think we are as bad off in OUR passing game as you may. We all would agree, that to set up any passing game of success, that OL has to pave the way to be successful on the running game.

Now to look at the passing attack.

We all have great faith in DD. Brett Favre seems really pleased TT signed Rod Gardner. Maybe Robert Ferguson steps up and shows his potential, and Boerigter as well. I feel in there we have three talented WR's. The good news is that Rookie WR Greg Jennings is shining to date, and when I see him on video I am so impressed, and the same goes for Rookie CB/WR Will Blackmon. Both of these Rookies have a ton of talent and versatility, and both can handle kicks, as well. These are all solid potentials as fast WR's and with Gardner and Boe, bigger targets than we had last season. It just won't be Favre trying to go to Donald Driver. I see explosive potential in this group of wideouts.

We are all expecting the first half of the Season to test OUR OL. I believe in the effort that M3 and his Coach's are putting in. 4-12 last season means serious business this. There is alot of professional pride at stake for several unnamed players, that want so badly to give whats necessary for a rebound.

Do you believe the Packers can win as little as 6-8 games wist?