PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Grant - A "Me" guy

Partial
07-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Ryan Grant is a horrible teammate. All off-season while his teammates were working out, he was sitting on the sidelines watching.

Now that its time for training camp, again he is at home watching. Who in their right mind wouldn't accept a 1.5 milion dollar signing bonus that Teddy offered him!

Ryan Grant - first rate dick.

RIPackerFan
07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I heard that TT and MM said that they have moved on and that Ryan can return to the team in a different role. However, they don't want him to come to camp yet.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2008, 10:12 PM
:lol: This isn't highschool, he doesn't have a contract.

The Shadow
07-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Ryan Grant is a horrible teammate. All off-season while his teammates were working out, he was sitting on the sidelines watching.

Now that its time for training camp, again he is at home watching. Who in their right mind wouldn't accept a 1.5 milion dollar signing bonus that Teddy offered him!

Ryan Grant - first rate dick.

Weak.

Pacopete4
07-27-2008, 10:13 PM
I've been sayin all along, TT is a weasle

imscott72
07-27-2008, 10:17 PM
We don't know what the offer was, regardless Grant is under contract and should be in camp. I get tired of players pulling this year after year. What gives players the right to have one good season, or half of one in Ryan's case, then get their contract torn up and a new one drawn up? It's rediculous. If I do a couple good things at work I don't get a new contract. Hell I'm lucky to get a compliment.. :roll: He needs to get his ass in camp and earn his money just like the rest of us do. I'm sick of it.

boiga
07-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Edit: Actually Grant's not under contract, he just has nowhere else to go. He really can't risk injury until he signs something because he would be left without even bus fare home.

The funny thing is that in both cases they have agents acting like complete douches.

Cook and Herman should get married and have ugly ugly children far away from the NFL.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 10:21 PM
During that Seattle game, after the two fumbles, all the guys were coming up to him and giving him support. If the guy was a right dick and a bad teammate, I don't think you would of seen so much of a support group.

I've watched interviews with Grant, read pieces about him, he's as good as they come. He wants to be in camp. Partial, don't mistake what Grant's agent says for who Ryan Grant is. All of these guys are pawns and will follow whatever their agent says, in most cases.

This situation will play out and Ryan will sign a deal with the Pack. Following that, Ryan will help the Pack win games. It's that simple. Nothing in this situation has downgraded my opinion of Grant at all. This is just the NFL being the NFL.

Partial
07-27-2008, 10:26 PM
During that Seattle game, after the two fumbles, all the guys were coming up to him and giving him support. If the guy was a right dick and a bad teammate, I don't think you would of seen so much of a support group.

I've watched interviews with Grant, read pieces about him, he's as good as they come. He wants to be in camp. Partial, don't mistake what Grant's agent says for who Ryan Grant is. All of these guys are pawns and will follow whatever their agent says, in most cases.

This situation will play out and Ryan will sign a deal with the Pack. Following that, Ryan will help the Pack win games. It's that simple. Nothing in this situation has downgraded my opinion of Grant at all. This is just the NFL being the NFL.

No way. The team should move on. He missed all of the off-season. Grant should be punished. It would be really unfair to Brandon Jackson to have Grant start again.

So much was learned in the off-season and the offense was already implemented. We're past the point of no return.

Ryan Grant shouldn't be allowed to play for the Packers, but we also don't want him to play for anyone else.

imscott72
07-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Edit: Actually Grant's not under contract, he just has nowhere else to go. He really can't risk injury until he signs something because he would be left without even bus fare home.

The funny thing is that in both cases they have agents acting like complete douches.

Cook and Herman should get married and have ugly ugly children far away from the NFL.

Yeah my bad. Meant to say he could sign his minimum tender and play the year and then cash in. Bottom line is he should be in camp.

Zool
07-27-2008, 10:30 PM
No way. The team should move on. He missed all of the off-season. Grant should be punished. It would be really unfair to Brandon Jackson to have Grant start again.

So much was learned in the off-season and the offense was already implemented. We're past the point of no return.

Ryan Grant shouldn't be allowed to play for the Packers, but we also don't want him to play for anyone else.

You know what he's right. Grant said he was going to sign the contract, then changed his mind when they brought it to him to sign.

Then he said "sign me or release me" and started letting his mom talk to the press about how he feels disrespected and unwanted. Then he told the media he was going to sign. Then said he wasn't but told them that Thompson didn't want him to sign.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 10:30 PM

I think you're joking, being tongue-in-cheek and all. But you never know with Partial, so I'll make a case anyway.

Brandon Jackson- 267, 1 TD

Ryan Grant- 956, 8 TD

Packerarcher
07-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Hey I called it on this whole deal with TT not getting things done with Grant. I posted it a couple of weeks ago maybe more,TT is a snake and it's time to get rid of him. But I said that the minute he was hired so my dislike for TT is nothing new. The executive of the year thing he got last year would never of happend had the team went 8-8. Two big reasons they had a winning season was Favre and Grant. Look how TT is showing his appreciation to both of them.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 10:40 PM
The executive of the year thing he got last year would never of happend had the team went 8-8.

Um....duh?

digitaldean
07-27-2008, 10:44 PM
TT's a snake?

I don't agree with some of his moves (e.g., Harrell, re-signing Poppinga, lack of a big name FA), but I see his moves in getting Jennings, Jones and Grant do have to merit some kudos.

It seems odd that some gloss over this. I criticize TT, but I don't think he's a snake.

Is he a choirboy in all this, probably not. But I don't think that TT is the pure scoundrel he's being made out to be.

NewsBruin
07-27-2008, 10:52 PM
We don't know what the offer was, regardless Grant is under contract and should be in camp. I get tired of players pulling this year after year. What gives players the right to have one good season, or half of one in Ryan's case, then get their contract torn up and a new one drawn up? It's rediculous. If I do a couple good things at work I don't get a new contract. Hell I'm lucky to get a compliment.. :roll: He needs to get his ass in camp and earn his money just like the rest of us do. I'm sick of it.

Maybe you should become a professional football player.

As was said above, Grant IS NOT under contract; he just can't sign with anyone else. He shouldn't practice if he could get hurt and is not protected.

I haven't heard the terms that are being argued, so I can't say who's in the wrong here, although I'll place more blame with the Packers if they didn't start negotiations the Monday after losing to the Giants.

I've heard Grant's agent say that both sides are interested in an incentive-based contract, which I think is awful from Grant's interest. There's too much that could affect Grant's numbers that is not under his control. If our run defense sucks, and the opponents get lots of time on the field; If our total defense sucks, and McCarthy goes to 4WR/1TE sets to catch up; if Allen Barbre falls on Grant's knee or Grant gets a concussion and has to choose between health or $. None of these have anything to do with Grant's heart or talent, but would totally kick his paycheck in the ass.

We're well under the cap; we can afford some wiggle room with our top players. I would like to see Grant get an escalator-based contract that rewards his effort in 2008 with pay raises in 2009 and 2010, with some guaranteed and base cash for 2008.

I would like to believe in the "if you play hard, eventually you'll get rewarded" mentality, but in a league where you can get cut anytime, even for wanting to get paid what you signed a contract for, I'm for the players getting what they are worth as soon as they can get it.

cpk1994
07-27-2008, 10:56 PM

I think you're joking, being tongue-in-cheek and all. But you never know with Partial, so I'll make a case anyway.

Ryan Grant- 956, 8 TDPartial not being tongue-in-cheek. He is so pissed off that his Lortd Favre is getting piled on that he made a weak attempt to do tthe same to Grant what others are syaing about his Lord Favre

Chevelle2
07-27-2008, 10:58 PM

You know what he's right. Grant said he was going to sign the contract, then changed his mind when they brought it to him to sign.

Then he said "sign me or release me" and started letting his mom talk to the press about how he feels disrespected and unwanted. Then he told the media he was going to sign. Then said he wasn't but told them that Thompson didn't want him to sign.

Dude you forgot when Grant went on national TV in a scripted interview and blasted the organization, then starting calling the Bears to see if they wanted his services.

Bretsky
07-27-2008, 11:04 PM
I'll say this; a 1,5MIL bonus for a multi year deal is crap.

But TT will make sure this deal gets done; he's going to equip his boy with every offensive weapon possible to give him a chance for success after he ditches Favre off to another team

The Shadow
07-27-2008, 11:04 PM

It's tough when an attempt at sarcasm has to be redone, isn't it?

Partial
07-27-2008, 11:05 PM

Ryan Grant- 956, 8 TDPartial not being tongue-in-cheek. He is so pissed off that his Lortd Favre is getting piled on that he made a weak attempt to do tthe same to Grant what others are syaing about his Lord Favre

Dude, its a joke. Chill out. But, funny, how the situations oddly parallel one another and the young, up and comer is being allowed back as the starter.

Chevelle2
07-27-2008, 11:05 PM

But TT will make sure this deal gets done; he's going to equip his boy with every offensive weapon possible to give him a chance for success after he ditches Favre off to another team

Thats a good point, even if its for Rodgers sake.

Zool
07-27-2008, 11:07 PM

There's no reason they cant drop a $3.5-$4 mil bonus on the guy unless the team is bleeding cash and they are trying to pinch pennies. Its not like this mid-level deal is going to set some standard across the league for RFA RB's with 1 year of accrued time. This is a rare circumstance.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Dude, its a joke. Chill out. But, funny, how the situations oddly parallel one another and the young, up and comer is being allowed back as the starter.

The situation is oddly parallel in your mind. This is like how in the mind of Mark Kurlansky every major event in world history was caused by salt.

It's not really that similar.

Lurker64
07-27-2008, 11:15 PM
The situation is oddly parallel in your mind. This is like how in the mind of Mark Kurlansky every major event in world history was caused by salt.

Except for the ones that were cause by cod instead.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 11:16 PM

Except for the ones that were cause by cod instead.

Holy crap, somebody got it. :shock:

Props to you Lurker.

Partial
07-27-2008, 11:19 PM

It's pretty gosh darn similiar. The reason the team moved on is they installed the whole offense supposedly and couldn't go back now. The team has shown confidence in BJack, and now they expect him to come in and take a backseat to the veteran who hasn't worked out all offseason?

GAB. They're practically identical short of Grant not bad mouthing his boss. But, it could get to that point shortly.

Bretsky
07-27-2008, 11:21 PM

There's no reason they cant drop a $3.5-$4 mil bonus on the guy unless the team is bleeding cash and they are trying to pinch pennies. Its not like this mid-level deal is going to set some standard across the league for RFA RB's with 1 year of accrued time. This is a rare circumstance.

If they feel he's their starter, yet unproven, I was figuring on a conservative deal with a 5,000,000 or so signing...or roster bonus...aka...more frontloading....better future cap relief. 1,5MIL; let's get real. An agent would be an idiot to even consider that.

BallHawk
They are practically identical short of:

Grant not retiring
Grant never considering retirement
Grant being brought in by Ted, not Ron
Grant working out at the team complex during mini-camp
Grant having consistently stated he wants to be a Packer
Grant not being under contract

But, yeah, apart from that, it's exactly the same. Spooky.

NewsBruin
I thought I knew, but I don't know for sure: What did Grant do when he came to Green Bay for OTA's? He hasn't practiced plays or team drills, but he has kept up with all the offense education, right? It's not like he's been watching The Real World and working on his macrimae skills.

Ryan Grant is as proven of a back as we've got. I was not impressed with Brandon Jackson's draft evaluation that he lacks explosiveness and elusiveness, and as much as I have a mini-crush on DeShawn Wynn and his physical talent, I will have to believe he has what it takes from the neck up to make it to the end of this season in the NFL. Out of those, I think none can pass-block like Grant, and that's a huge quality. Anyone who thinks our current HB stable has a 16-game starter without Ryan Grant is living on wishes and rainbows right now.

You know, we're pretty good with cash, and if we blow $2-4M on a signing bonus for a player who didn't play up to his first 8 games, then I don't think it's that huge of a loss. I don't think anything more than $4M at signing is necessary, but I would like to see some guaranteed cash at other intervals too.

Meanwhile, that $1.75M bonus is for a SIX YEAR contract. Ryan Grant is smart to not sign that. When his next one comes up, he'll be 31 and have a rocking chair in the Shady Pines Halfback Retirement Home with his name on it.

Unless there's real assurances that a contract would be redone, Grant should not sign anything greater than a 4-year contract. Most players only get one really great signing bonus in their career, and $1.75 million is not a great bonus for a starting halfback.

Finally, running back is the most likely "plug-and-play" position in the NFL. There is a huge difference in teaching an offense to a quarterback and to a running back. That works both for and against Ryan Grant, but it's not comparable to teaching Rogers the playbook and having him work on all the receivers' timing, when Grant just has to know "block for 3 and then run to the seam."

cpk1994
07-27-2008, 11:24 PM

It's pretty gosh darn similiar. The reason the team moved on is they installed the whole offense supposedly and couldn't go back now. The team has shown confidence in BJack, and now they expect him to come in and take a backseat to the veteran who hasn't worked out all offseason?

GAB. They're practically identical short of Grant not bad mouthing his boss. But, it could get to that point shortly.Good god, you are pathetic.

Lurker64
07-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Realistically, right now the pressure is on both Ryan Grant and the Packers and deals frequently get done quickly once camp days start getting missed. It's not uncommon for draft picks to miss a day or two and then come to terms (Hawk missed the first day of his rookie camp due to not being under contract, and just so you don't think this is a TT-only thing, so did this year's #5 pick Glen Dorsey).

The Grant situation is essentially unprecedented in the history of the NFL, but the pressure is on both sides to get the deal in. A lot of what we're hearing from his agent have to be taken with a grain of salt since he's largely just jockeying for a better deal for his client (if he wasn't doing so, he'd be a bad agent.)

Bretsky
07-27-2008, 11:33 PM
The agent sure came out strong

"I can't believe after 5 1/2 months, after the Packers said to us that this was a unique situation, that the Packers take care of their own, that we would get in a situation as unreasonable as this," Herman said. "I've never seen anything like that in my 24 years in the business."

Freak Out
07-27-2008, 11:35 PM

You got that right. Grant was smart to skip this first go.

gex
07-27-2008, 11:35 PM

GAB. They're practically identical short of Grant not bad mouthing his boss. But, it could get to that point shortly.Good god, you are pathetic.

:roll: :beat: ]

cpk = same story, different thread

boiga
07-27-2008, 11:37 PM
I agree that he was right not to take the offer. I just wish his agent knew better than to complain about each step of the bargaining process to the media. From past experience, that's the best way to get Thompson to NOT give you what you want.

Herman's a douche.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 11:43 PM

"I can't believe after 5 1/2 months, after the Packers said to us that this was a unique situation, that the Packers take care of their own, that we would get in a situation as unreasonable as this," Herman said. "I've never seen anything like that in my 24 years in the business."

I have to admit, the 24 years in the business quip made me chuckle.

DannoMac21
07-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Okay, so before I post this, I definitely know what replies are about to come.

"LoLz maibee I kan talk 2 Farve on fasebuhk!1!11"

But, I did what Chevelle did and added Shaun Bodiford as a friend. I looked through his photo album and stuff, and it's all legit. Sure, you can easily underestimate Facebook, but when there's pictures of you doing it up in college, hanging with family, out on dates, etc...

He was on Facebook chat, so I talked to him...

Dan
hey man

i just wanna say im a big fan of yours

Shaun
thanks.. but i dont play for the pack anymore.

Dan
so i heard

keep your head up man

you know you have talent

we know you have talent

green bay's cold anyways haha

Shaun
thank you. yeah green bay hasnt been to good to me..

Dan
id assume not

im a huge pack fan and shit

but man shits goin down the drain right now

i hear we're lowballing ryan grant and shit

Shaun
nah it will be great this yr. yeah they feel they can go without him and play wit brandon jackson..

a rod lost so mmcuh weight.

Dan
thats sweet

whats the locker room like?

like are they towards favre or rodgers?

Shaun
they really dont care.

Dan
what about you?

Shaun
i went to junior college wit a rod. his a great friend o fmine..

Again, I know the replies I'm going to get, but for those who actually have a Facebook account and can relate to know that this is valid. I just thought it was interesting what he said about the Pack thinking they can go with Jackson.

BallHawk
07-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Maybe Facebook can be semi-reputable, but I can't say I believe what a #6 WR says. Nothing against him, but he has no idea what's going on upstairs. Not even guys like DD and Greg have a 100% clear idea of what's going on.

woodbuck27
07-27-2008, 11:56 PM

Solid. :D

Charles Woodson
07-27-2008, 11:59 PM

"LoLz maibee I kan talk 2 Favre on fasebuhk!1!11"

But, I did what Chevelle did and added Shaun Bodiford as a friend. I looked through his photo album and stuff, and it's all legit. Sure, you can easily underestimate Facebook, but when there's pictures of you doing it up in college, hanging with family, out on dates, etc...

Dan
hey man

Shaun

Dan
so i heard

keep your head up man

you know you have talent

we know you have talent

Shaun

Dan
id assume not

Shaun
nah it will be great this yr. yeah they feel they can go without him and play wit brandon jackson..

Dan
thats sweet

Shaun
they really dont care.

Dan
what about you?

Shaun

Again, I know the replies I'm going to get, but for those who actually have a Facebook account and can relate to know that this is valid. I just thought it was interesting what he said about the Pack thinking they can go with Jackson.

Ha i just added him too, but i cant belive they think they can go on without Grant...

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 12:01 AM

Dan
hey man

Shaun

Dan
so i heard

keep your head up man

you know you have talent

we know you have talent

Shaun

Dan
id assume not

Shaun

Dan
thats sweet

Shaun
they really dont care.

Dan
what about you?

Shaun

Should you have posted that private? one to one conversation?

Just a thought ..maybe heads up for you DannoMac21. Not to summon debate.

Lurker64
07-28-2008, 12:08 AM

Well, to be honest I'm not sure a situation like Ryan Grant's has ever occurred in the 88 years that the NFL has existed. So that he hasn't seen anything like this in 24 years should be no surprise.

DannoMac21
07-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Talking to him a little more...

Dan
so do you know where youre going next?

Shaun
nope. i have to rehab my back so i can get back soon..

11:49pmDan
damn

well good luck with that man

Shaun
thanks. hopefully in 3 yrs i could be a primer wr. we still be chatiting online.

Dan
you leavin back any big friends on the team?

other than rodgers obv

Shaun
atari bigby... will blackmon... c. wood. james jones

them are the guys i talk to on the phone off season... atari bigby gonna be my best man..

mission
07-28-2008, 01:34 AM
hey shaun -- im a big fan of yours ...

LOL

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

fan of his ..... for what? never doing anything cool.

do they also sell men's clothes where you shop danno?

between woody, partial and whoever else here, it's really gettin comedic ....

DannoMac21
07-28-2008, 02:40 AM

Dan
hey man

Shaun

Dan
so i heard

keep your head up man

you know you have talent

we know you have talent

Shaun

Dan
id assume not

Shaun

Dan
thats sweet

Shaun
they really dont care.

Dan
what about you?

Shaun

Should you have posted that private? one to one conversation?

Just a thought ..maybe heads up for you DannoMac21. Not to summon debate.

Thanks brah, but I think I know what I'm doing. If there were anything private, I wouldn't have included it.

AV David
07-28-2008, 05:27 AM
TT is a snake and it's time to get rid of him. But I said that the minute he was hired so my dislike for TT is nothing new

Packer Archer

I am curious why you felt TT was a snake, and disliked him, from the minute he was hired?

The only reason that comes to mind is you wanted Mike Sherman to stay.

Is that it?

It just blows me away you could be that unhappy with TT before he even sat down at his desk.

Lurker64
07-28-2008, 05:39 AM
It just blows me away you could be that unhappy with TT before he even sat down at his desk.

Just take this as evidence as to why you should immediately discount everything PackerArcher says about Thompson.

Any reasonable person would realize that there are some things that Thompson does well (he drafted guys like Greg Jennings, he found guys like Ryan Grant, Atari Bigby, and Donald Lee on the proverbial scrapheap, he went out and got Woodson and Pickett), and there are also things he doesn't do as well as he could (I'm sure we can all come up with our own lists, starting with a general malaise about free agency). All in all, it looks like the good outweighs the bad and that Thompson is at least better than a sizeable number of NFL GMs. Is he the worst? Absolutely not. Is he the best? Probably not, but it's too early to tell.

SkinBasket
07-28-2008, 07:26 AM
So I was in an AOL Chatroom last night and ran into Tootie Robbins.

SkinBasket: What's up fatty?

Toots: I'm hungry.

SkinBasket: Cool. I'm a big fan. Hank Stram once said you had the biggest colon in the league. I was hooked. I would love to rub your balls on my face.

Toots: You're name sounds tasty. Do you have food?

SkinBasket: So... what you think about Brett?

Toots: Does he have cookies?

SkinBasket: So where's he going to play?

Toots: I just shit my pants.

SkinBasket: Why didn't you get up?

Toots: ??

SkinBasket: You know to shit?

Toots: I'm hungry.

cpk1994
07-28-2008, 08:14 AM

Just take this as evidence as to why you should immediately discount everything PackerArcher says about Thompson.

Any reasonable person would realize that there are some things that Thompson does well (he drafted guys like Greg Jennings, he found guys like Ryan Grant, Atari Bigby, and Donald Lee on the proverbial scrapheap, he went out and got Woodson and Pickett), and there are also things he doesn't do as well as he could (I'm sure we can all come up with our own lists, starting with a general malaise about free agency). All in all, it looks like the good outweighs the bad and that Thompson is at least better than a sizeable number of NFL GMs. Is he the worst? Absolutely not. Is he the best? Probably not, but it's too early to tell.He is at least a giant step up from his predesessor, Mike Sherman.