PDA

View Full Version : "Bone Headed?"

CaptainKickass
07-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Preface:
You PR posters are extremely entertaining and bring a much better and even more dramatic version of reality than say - "reality tv" for example.

I've literally read everything in this chat room since the playoffs and I have a question.

How much did Favre's season ending interception in OT, during the NFC Championship game at Lambeau. affect what's been referred to as "Favre-Gate"?

I ask because of the following reasons- which of course leads to more questions:

- I personally feel like it's a bunch but, How many times have we seen BF throw an ill advised INT in a crucial moment - particularily in the playoffs?

-It's been said that MM built his coaching resume on QB development. This goes back to Aaron Brooks in NO. When MM and Brooks parted company - did Brooks really suck afterwards?

- I find myself wondering if Favre maybe took it upon himself to call a different play than what was "sent in". Is it possible that Favre's final shot during that game was his way of (I'm paraphrasing someone else) "sticking it" to TT? Or... does BF just have that natural tendency to crack in the big game? If so, does that make him fit better with the greatest choking team I know - The Minnesota Bi-Queens?

Carry on posters, carry on.

prsnfoto
07-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Preface:
You PR posters are extremely entertaining and bring a much better and even more dramatic version of reality than say - "reality tv" for example.

I've literally read everything in this chat room since the playoffs and I have a question.

How much did Favre's season ending interception in OT, during the NFC Championship game at Lambeau. affect what's been referred to as "Favre-Gate"?

I ask because of the following reasons- which of course leads to more questions:

- I personally feel like it's a bunch but, How many times have we seen BF throw an ill advised INT in a crucial moment - particularily in the playoffs?

-It's been said that MM built his coaching resume on QB development. This goes back to Aaron Brooks in NO. When MM and Brooks parted company - did Brooks really suck afterwards?

- I find myself wondering if Favre maybe took it upon himself to call a different play than what was "sent in". Is it possible that Favre's final shot during that game was his way of (I'm paraphrasing someone else) "sticking it" to TT? Or... does BF just have that natural tendency to crack in the big game? If so, does that make him fit better with the greatest choking team I know - The Minnesota Bi-Queens?

Carry on posters, carry on.

It was his first read he threw it and it was a bad pass MM has never said Brett called a bad audible. As far as playoff losses if you want to place blame the Rams, Falcons(he had no WR's), and Vikings losses in my opinion you could put on him the rest were due to offciating(49er's) and horrible coaching and Reggie and the D-line sucking ass(Broncos).

Lurker64
07-28-2008, 02:16 AM
In the interest of complete honesty, I believe that in order for the Packers to win another Superbowl, we will have to have a QB that plays well in at least most of the following:

1) The Snow.
2) The Cold.
3) The Wind.
4) Dallas.

Last year, Favre saw all four conditions, played well in one of them (snow) and very poorly in the other three, so he's batting .250. Rodgers only got to see one of those conditions (Dallas), but be played very well.

So I'm not personally convinced that Favre is the best QB for the Packers in 2008. He probably would be the QB that wins the most games in September through November, but I'm not sure I trust him in the playoffs, in bad weather, or on the road in big games.

If I had seen Favre play well in extreme conditions or big games last year, I would be much more excited about having him back. As it stands, I'm worried that if Favre were annointed the starter we could win 11-12 games, but if we have to go to Dallas or if we have a home playoff game in adverse conditions, he just can't get us over the hump.

prsnfoto
07-28-2008, 02:28 AM
In the interest of complete honesty, I believe that in order for the Packers to win another Superbowl, we will have to have a QB that plays well in at least most of the following:

1) The Snow.
2) The Cold.
3) The Wind.
4) Dallas.

Last year, Favre saw all four conditions, played well in one of them (snow) and very poorly in the other three, so he's batting .250. Rodgers only got to see one of those conditions (Dallas), but be played very well.

So I'm not personally convinced that Favre is the best QB for the Packers in 2008. He probably would be the QB that wins the most games in September through November, but I'm not sure I trust him in the playoffs, in bad weather, or on the road in big games.

If I had seen Favre play well in extreme conditions or big games last year, I would be much more excited about having him back. As it stands, I'm worried that if Favre were annointed the starter we could win 11-12 games, but if we have to go to Dallas or if we have a home playoff game in adverse conditions, he just can't get us over the hump.

But obviously Rodgers can and win at least 4 regular season games?

mission
07-28-2008, 02:47 AM

1) The Snow.
2) The Cold.
3) The Wind.
4) Dallas.

This post is all that has to be said to anyone who just quite doesn't understand this situation. I have so many friends down here in Atlanta just spouting off about everything and anything and really have no understanding of the situation, the green bay packers, what playing football is actually like, how important a healthy team dynamic is, flash and glam and big end of game touchdowns doesn't always equate to a better result, etc, etc ... I could go on all day.

I was a highly rated (stats, records, conference awards) high school quarterback (Monroe, WI you already know about the program...) and not that that matters to anyone regarding anything but i know football. i coached quarterbacks at uw-lacrosse hs camps and for jeff tricky summer camps... i see it in rodgers, his poise, demeanor, cockiness/swagger ... favre has a flare for the dramatic. see the broncos big win, the giants loss, the retirement, the unretirement ...

dramatic doesn't usually win super bowls. being cool, calm and collected does ... you hear what joe montana said in the huddle before a crucial end-of-game SB (playoff?) drive?

he said ...

"hey, is that john candy over there?"

and went on to drive his boys down the field... cool as the other fucking side of the pillow.

barring injury, aaron rodgers is a better quarterback for the green bay packers football team. first year stats for rodgers might be down from favre 2007 but this is a team with a long future (captain obvious?) and preserving legacy just for the fuckin sake of it because you dont understand football doesnt mean we're better off in 2010 or 2011.

even IF rodgers goes down and this board erupts with "i told ya so's", im still fine putting a young brohm in there and watching this team develop... there will be speed bumps but a stop gap isnt the solution right now and brett favre is just not as much of a packer fan as i am ...

and because of that, because im more of a fan of the packers than brett favre, we are no longer on the same page.

sue me... im a rational, logical and football-knowledgeable packers fan -- and i want whats best for my team.

Lurker64
07-28-2008, 04:38 AM
But obviously Rodgers can and win at least 4 regular season games?

Now I'm not saying this is the case right here and right now, but if the choice is between the one guy you know can't get you there and the other guy who may or may not be able to get you there, that choice is pretty simple isn't it?

Favre played well last year, but he's getting up there in age. Quarterbacks in their late 30s are unlike fine wine, as parts of their games start to fall off with age. I have confidence that Favre is a good QB, but I have no confidence in improving his ability to perform in adverse conditions over what he showed last year.

oregonpackfan
07-28-2008, 11:22 AM
No, I hardly carry any resentment or vendetta towards Favre and the interception in the NFL Championship game. Yes, Favre was guilty of the occasional "boneheaded" play. His positive contributions to the Packers, however, far outweigh his shortcomings.