PDA

View Full Version : Does Grant Have ANY Leverage?

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 07:18 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/27/grant-packers-at-odds-on-new-deal/

Grant’s only options are to sign with the Packers, or not play.

So, this tells me, he will eventually sign, because sitting out a year will do him no good, correct?

SkinBasket
07-28-2008, 07:29 AM
As far as I know, it's not just a matter of sitting out a year. It's sitting out forever. If it comes down to it, he can play for the Pack's tender or never play again. I could be wrong though. But I don't think he gains a year of service for not playing.

Zool
07-28-2008, 08:29 AM
As far as I know, it's not just a matter of sitting out a year. It's sitting out forever. If it comes down to it, he can play for the Pack's tender or never play again. I could be wrong though. But I don't think he gains a year of service for not playing.

Thats a big 10-4 skinny. If he doesnt play this year, he will still only have 1 year of service time accrued and will not be eligible for FA. If he signs the tender, he will be eligible next year, but if he has a big year there's nothing stopping the team from hitting him with the franchise tag. Players and agents both want that signing bonus.

sheepshead
07-28-2008, 08:51 AM
none

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 09:06 AM

Thats a big 10-4 skinny. If he doesnt play this year, he will still only have 1 year of service time accrued and will not be eligible for FA. If he signs the tender, he will be eligible next year, but if he has a big year there's nothing stopping the team from hitting him with the franchise tag. Players and agents both want that signing bonus.

I understand. If he sits for TEN scheduled Packer games in 2008. He's a FREE AGENT.

Again... Ted Thompson should look after Ted Thompson... '' the person 'the man' ". He's crtainly hoarded to money to get this one right. Again all really concerned eyes and senses are focused on Ted Thompson. The NFL and all associated are focused on Ted Thompson and his role in OUR future.

That's ' way bigger ' than Ted Thompson. He's now the incumbant Executive of the Year. Based ' in part ' on his astuteness to acquire Ryan Grant. Is he going to wobble and waffle and flip on that part of it? :idea:

PACKERS FOREVER!

The Leaper
07-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Grant has some leverage...namely that Green Bay doesn't have much at RB behind him, and they've decided to go with a QB who has never started an NFL game.

Grant's presence will be needed for the team to have any real success in 2008.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Grant has some leverage...namely that Green Bay doesn't have much at RB behind him, and they've decided to go with a QB who has never started an NFL game.

YOU ARE again...RIGHT The Leaper. :)

PACKERS FOREVER!

SkinBasket
07-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I understand. If he sits for TEN scheduled Packer games in 2008. He's a FREE AGENT.

And if he eats frog livers on the third and fourth Tuesdays in September through December he will become a wizard.

He can opt to show up as late as Week Ten, get credit for the season, and then be an exclusive-rights free agent again in 2009.

Guess where that puts him Woody? I'll give you a hint. It's not very far from where he is right now except he'll be 1 year removed from football and a year older.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 10:38 AM

And if he eats frog livers on the third and fourth Tuesdays in September through December he will become a wizard.

Brilliant skinbasket. Your a piece of work. :D ing. No sad for YOU man.

Guiness
07-28-2008, 10:53 AM
ok, this has been trotted out a bunch of times, so off the top of my head...

Exclusive Rights this year(08), Exclusive rights next year (09), Restricted rights in 2010, THEN unrestricted FA (and he could be franchised) in 11.

That's why the Pack need a 5yr deal before it starts to be any benefit to them - they've got him dead to rights for 4.

I know what you're saying Woody, but Grant's camp HAS to know they need to give up a lot. Them even mentioning Hester's contract tells me they're living in la-la land.

boiga
07-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Here's the transcript from GBPG of Ted's conference:
* On Ryan Grant's sitution (and I'm transcribing this one now because I had to win a five-man shouting match to get it off): "The Ryan Grant thing is, he is in a remarkably unique position year-wise. It's a negotiation. It's ongoing. We do not negotiate in the press. We don't think that serves a purpose. We don't necessarily (get) offended by the fact that some agents like to do that. But we're working through it. Ryan's a good man and a good player, and we're going to try to get him back in here." Do you have a timetable? "I don't. I think that's one of those things I think we spoke of before. It's sort of, the cake's cooked when it's cooked."

So Thompson agrees that Herman's a douche for whining to the media, but is too nice to say so.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Here's the transcript from GBPG of Ted's conference:
* On Ryan Grant's sitution (and I'm transcribing this one now because I had to win a five-man shouting match to get it off): "The Ryan Grant thing is, he is in a remarkably unique position year-wise. It's a negotiation. It's ongoing. We do not negotiate in the press. We don't think that serves a purpose. We don't necessarily (get) offended by the fact that some agents like to do that. But we're working through it. Ryan's a good man and a good player, and we're going to try to get him back in here." Do you have a timetable? "I don't. I think that's one of those things I think we spoke of before. It's sort of, the cake's cooked when it's cooked."

So Thompson agrees that Herman's a douche for whining to the media, but is too nice to say so.

What's TT going to do?

Demonstrate learning from ie. . . how he handled the Bubba Franks situation when TT first arrived with us as GM or not?

Does TT ever grow / learn, or is he always ' just right '? He certainly brought Bubba in too late ( re-call that Packer fans ). We saw the impact on Bubba Franks season.

How that ' just one more impact ' was just another part of 4-12.

PACKERS FOREVER!

boiga
07-28-2008, 03:06 PM
What's TT going to do?

Demonstrate learning from ie. . . how he handled the Bubba Franks situation when TT first arrived with us as GM or not?

Does TT ever grow / learn, or is he always ' just right '? He certainly brought Bubba in too late ( re-call that Packer fans ). We saw the impact on Bubba Franks season.

PACKERS FOREVER!They'll get it done. My expectation is Grant will be happy and in Camp by Thursday. Hopefully Herman will know better than to talk again before the deal gets done.

Grant will get his dough and this should be resolved by the end of the week.

arcilite
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't think how long Bubba was out had anything to do with how he performed that year. Bubba was just... Bubba.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
ok, this has been trotted out a bunch of times, so off the top of my head...

Exclusive Rights this year(08), Exclusive rights next year (09), Restricted rights in 2010, THEN unrestricted FA (and he could be franchised) in 11.

That's why the Pack need a 5yr deal before it starts to be any benefit to them - they've got him dead to rights for 4.

I know what you're saying Woody, but Grant's camp HAS to know they need to give up a lot. Them even mentioning Hester's contract tells me they're living in la-la land.

Ohhh Damn no kidding. That Hester thing blows my socks off. :D Why all the cash to a fella that has yet to prove he can be a weapon as a WR? I know the Bears created some protection there too Guiness.

That he ( Ryan Grant ) sits and ten games into this season and then he's free. . . came off PFT yesterday. I'm not sure that's it. Patler knows Guiness.

How are YOU? Where are YOU?

Ed.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 03:14 PM
What's TT going to do?

PACKERS FOREVER!They'll get it done. My expectation is Grant will be happy and in Camp by Thursday. Hopefully Herman will know better than to talk again before the deal gets done.

Grant will get his dough and this should be resolved by the end of the week.

I just want him in the fold ASAP not in the third week of TC.

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
No sad for YOU man.

Since when did the word sad become a noun?

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 03:16 PM

He can opt to show up as late as Week Ten, get credit for the season, and then be an exclusive-rights free agent again in 2009.

Guess where that puts him Woody? I'll give you a hint. It's not very far from where he is right now except he'll be 1 year removed from football and a year older.

skinbasket. TT needs to sign Ryan Grant ASAP . Just that.

PACKERS FOREVER.

SkinBasket
07-28-2008, 03:18 PM
That he ( Ryan Grant ) sits and ten games into this season and then he's free. . . came off PFT yesterday. I'm not sure that's it.

You read it wrong Woody. (I know gasps all around) Look at my post above, the quote is from the article. Or look at what you quoted from Guiness.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't think how long Bubba was out had anything to do with how he performed that year. Bubba was just... Bubba.

He might have been in decline yes! The fact remains TT drug his feet on getting Bubba into TC. Just that.

he can't apply any such thing RE: Ryan Grant.

Sometimes even a lady has to sit on the public toilet seat before covering it with tissue. It doesn't kill you to utilize expediancy.

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Sometimes even a lady has to sit on the public toilet seat before covering it with tissue. It doesn't kill you to utilize expediancy.

That was some Plato-like shit, right there.

SkinBasket
07-28-2008, 03:25 PM

skinbasket. TT needs to sign Ryan Grant ASAP . Just that.

PACKERS FOREVER.

We all know that Woody. This thread is about what leverage Grant has. We're pointing out, that when it comes down to it, he doesn't really have any outside of whatever pseudo leverage is created by the Packer's need.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 03:25 PM
No sad for YOU man.

It's not used as a noun in that sentence Ballhawk.

No. I'm sad for you man. Does that, work better for YOU BallHawk?

Lurker64
07-28-2008, 03:26 PM
The extent of Ryan Grant's leverage is that he cannot practice or play as a Green Bay Packer until he signs a contract.

If both Grant and his agent were to go absolutely insane, he could sit out the first ten games of this year then sign the tender and play the last six, then do the same thing next year to become a restricted free agent. But the Packers essentially own his rights as much as they can without him being under contract for the next three years.

In case anybody doesn't know this, Grant's status as an Exclusive Rights free agent means that this offseason (and the next, if he doesn't come to an extension), he does not have the ability to negotiate with any teams other than the Green Bay Packers unless the Packers give him permission to do so (they wouldn't.) After two years, he'd be a Restricted Free Agent which would give the Packers the right to match any offer sheet another team signs him to if he's tendered as an RFA.

When you add in the fact that Grant wants to play football and wants to be a Packer, the moral of the story is that Grant is stuck here for at least three years and the extent of his leverage is that his availability is contingent on his contract status.

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 03:28 PM
No sad for YOU man.

I like commas. Commas are your friend.

sheepshead
07-28-2008, 03:30 PM

hard to get TT sweating over this I'm guessing. If TT offered him a nice incentive laden deal, he needs to jump on it and earn his keep.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 03:33 PM

No BallHawk. It's just a little Maritimer common sense. Stated in a humorous manner or an attempt to keep it light. :D

You'd enjoy 'the Maritimes' BallHawk. A very cool place to visit. That's the three Province's of: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island (almost) There was once a ferry bet. PEI and NB and now a causeway BallHawk.

Newfoundland the most eastern Province is ' a hoot '. Very fine people live /survive in NFLD and Labrador.

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Yes, the Maritimes do look like a nice place. Actually, next spring, I'm going to be taking a trip up to Banff and Jasper National Park. Good 'ol Canadian Rockies, eh, Woody? Nothing like it in the world.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 03:40 PM
No sad for YOU man.

I like commas. Commas are your friend.

No. I'm sad, for you man.

This is not implied overkill all. I like skinbasket. It goes way back.

It's cool. 8-)

Bretsky
07-28-2008, 05:58 PM
He has no leverage to GB can lowball the shit out of him when they choose

I suppose if Grant wanted leverage, he could mail them a continous tape of Brandon Jackson finding a way to botch up that screen pass against the Giants...along with the blockers of course.

But Grant's only leverage is if GB thinks their other options are unproven..and they may not care anyways.

RashanGary
07-28-2008, 05:59 PM

I suppose if Grant wanted leverage, he could mail them a continous tape of Brandon Jackson finding a way to botch up that screen pass against the Giants...along with the blockers of course.

But Grant's only leverage is if GB thinks their other options are unproven..and they may not care anyways.

This is right on. The Packers will increase the bonus though. This was the starting point for them. I'd expect him to get about 3 million up front and the rest would have to be earned.

Rastak
07-28-2008, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't say his leverage is zero but it sure is limited. He could sign the tender and suddenly develop a bad back or hammy. He could sit until the day before the regular season. He could be a supreme pain in the ass. I havent't heard enough interviews with the guy to be sure but he doesn't seem like the type to pull that off. He could sit until week 10 and just take it in the wallet hoping the pack caves if the running game sucks. It's a risk. He is not without options but the Packers do have him by the short hairs.

gbgary
07-28-2008, 07:52 PM

I wouldn't say his leverage is zero but it sure is limited. He could sign the tender and suddenly develop a bad back or hammy. He could sit until the day before the regular season. He could be a supreme pain in the ass.

i sure hope neither of these extremes take place. the Packers have plenty of money and can make him a very nice offer. i don't believe he's a flash-in-the-pan and will be worth it. if Rodgers can prove to be a good passer, teams will have to respect the air attack. Grant can have another great year. they should take care of this quick as they have enough distractions as it is.

MJZiggy
07-28-2008, 10:15 PM

No she doesn't. You've never heard the word hover? There are ways to get things done, but yapping at the media seems to be failing athletes colossally lately.

swede
07-28-2008, 11:05 PM

No she doesn't. You've never heard the word hover? There are ways to get things done, but yapping at the media seems to be failing athletes colossally lately.

Without Zig and the other lady rats we'd be without this kind of perspective.

Zig---the litmus test for your next mansqueeze is that he must understand why you drag a laptop around the house tapping away 20 hours a day and laughing and swearing at the screen without any provocation evident to others in the room. Well, if he doesn't understand it he'll at least need to tolerate it with a generous spirit. Toss him back if he don't.