PDA

View Full Version : Peter King : Favre situation to get uglier MMQB

motife
07-28-2008, 08:33 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/07/28/mmqb/index.html#?eref=T1
Standoff in Green Bay: Eventually hell will break loose for Favre, Pack Story Highlights

SUMRALL, Miss. -- Nicest house and property I've ever seen in my years covering the NFL, I thought as I drove from the Favre place early Sunday morning. Good thing Favre loves it so much, because I bet he's going to be spending a lot of time there in the next month or so.

What we have here is a good old-fashioned standoff, one that two or three days away from Packer training camp is not going to fix. All that Brett Favre staying away until Wednesday (that's the day I expect him to walk back into the mayhem up north) is doing is delaying the inevitable. Because when Packer GM Ted Thompson urged Favre to stay home for the first couple of days of Packer camp to let him continue to work on a solution to the problem, what he meant was: Please stay away so we can have a couple of days of normalcy before all hell breaks loose. And we all know that hell is coming.

This morning, I want to run down what I think I know, not what I think I think. I listen to what's being said and read what's being written right now, and none of us in the media really, truly know where Favre is going to end up. I've heard the question 30 times if I've heard it once in the last month, and I always say some derivative of "I don't know, but it's not going to be pretty.''

But here are the Ten Things I Think I Know about the fate of Favre:

1. I think I know Thompson is not going to release Favre. If he did, my best guess is Favre would sign with the Minnesota Vikings, and for the next two years (one at least, but probably two) he would do everything in his power to beat the Packers 49-0 in the four games they played. You think Thompson is unpopular in Green Bay now? Wait to see how hated a man he'll be if he gives Favre the freedom he wants.

2. I think I know Favre is not going to stop demanding his release, at least not now. Thompson asked Favre for a list of teams he'd accept a trade to on Saturday -- for at least the second time -- and Favre would not give him one. That's because the minute Favre gives Thompson a list, the Packers will get a deal done with one of the teams on the list. Which brings us to one of the myths I keep hearing repeated.

3. I think I know Thompson is not asking for a first-round pick in trade for Favre unless he has one of the best years of his life, and unless his new team advances far into the playoffs. I don't know the particulars of the likely conditional trade and I'm not sure Thompson knows exactly what he'd accept, because he hasn't gone far down the road with any team he's discussed Favre with. But I do know the deal would be structured like a guaranteed fourth-round pick that could rise to a three or a two or a one (unlikely) depending on Favre's performance ... or maybe a guaranteed three that could rise to a two or one. Most likely, if Favre stays healthy, the team acquiring him would likely have to surrender a third- or second-round pick to get him.

4. I think I know the biggest myth out there is Thompson is driving such a hard bargain because he hopes no team will trade for Favre, and that Favre would slink back to Mississippi and stay retired. Maybe that was the case a month ago, but it isn't now. Thompson knows Favre is going to continue to push to play. And even though I think Thompson would like to have Favre in reserve in case Aaron Rodgers gets hurt -- imagine what Monday-morning-quarterbacking (hey, King, stop stealing your own line!) would ensue if Thompson traded Favre and Rodgers went down for the year the next day with a torn hammy -- I think he believes it'd be better to just let him go somewhere else now.

5. I think I know the league will not find Minnesota guilty of tampering with Favre. Until visiting Favre here Saturday, I'd thought for sure the Vikes would get docked a fifth- or sixth-rounder in next year's draft because Darrell Bevell and Brad Childress had engaged in phone conversations at a sensitive time of Favre coming back to football while he still was under contract with the Packers. But now I'm convinced the league will do nothing.

Favre often talks with and text-messages Childress, who he got to know when the coch was the Wisconsin offensive coordinator, sitting in on Packer offensive meetings in the mid-nineties. Favre told the league that. And he told them he didn't stop being good friends with Bevell after being coached by him from 2003 to '05 just because Bevell left for the rival Vikings. Favre talks with Andy Reid. He talks with Mike Holmgren. For all I know, he's talked to both of them while this whole affair has been going on.

As he told me Saturday, the Vikings did nothing and said nothing to entice him into coming to play in Minnesota. I believe Roger Goodell, officiating this scrum, will look at the evidence and say to himself: There is no evidence that the Vikings plotted anything with Favre, and the worst thing I could do right now is throw a match into the middle of these fireworks. I'm doing nothing.
6. I think I know, now, why Favre announced his retirement March 6. Now, I'll never think he was pushed. Nudged, maybe. But not pushed. He was too tired, too worn out to think the Packers pushed him over the cliff into retirement.

His words to me Saturday: "I never didn't want to play. My problem was, was I committed to do the offseason program, was I going to be up to the task of doing everything that comes with it -- studying, working out, preparing? Playing was never going to be the problem. What I live for is playing the games.

"I know the perception is that I've waffled," he added. "But any veteran who's played in the league this long is going to have some doubts about playing in a 16th or 17th year. And [the Packers] wanted an answer from me early in the offseason. Ted and I talked about it. We talked about a lot of things. I reiterated to him, 'Ted, I was honest with you guys and gave you an answer March 3.' I could have faked it and came back, and no one would have ever known. I knew I could not have been committed at that time.

"Could I have forced them to wait 'til July before I gave a commitment? Sure. Like I said to Ted, 'You're right, you didn't hold a gun to my head wanting an answer.' But they wanted an answer. I felt like, from a team standpoint, the best thing was to give them an honest answer at that time. If I retired three days before camp, that would have been pretty low-class. This scenario, going back after I retired, might be low-class too, but I was honest and forthright with them.''

7. I think I know the Packers have told Favre, in so many words, that there will be no competition for the starting job. Again, Favre's words: "Ted told me, 'Aaron's our starter.' I asked if I could compete for the job. He said, 'That is not an option.' He said, 'Coming up there obviously is not good. Things have changed. We've moved on.' He basically said, 'You're not going to play here.' I took that to mean, 'You can dress here to keep you from playing in certain places, but ...' ''

And the but, obviously, is that no matter how well Favre would perform in training camp, and no matter how many boos rained down on Thompson and Rodgers, it wouldn't matter. The Packers are going to go with Rodgers, and go down in flames with him if need be.

8. I think I know the Jets are fact-finding about Favre, as are the Bucs. But Favre is lukewarm, at best, about playing in either spot. The best thing either team could do is send a GM or owner, or both, to Mississippi today or tomorrow to fact-find with Favre. He doesn't know either team well. I know the teams don't want to be seen as groveling around Favre and begging him to come because of the impression it would leave about their incumbent quarterbacks, but Favre's in a sensitive spot right now. He's human. He'd like to be loved a little bit right now, or at least gather some information so if he had to make a decision about whether to accept a trade he'd know more than he knows now.

9. I think I know the best solution for this. Yes, I think eventually the Pack might pay Favre his 2008 salary to stay away, though that's not something Favre wants to have happen. The best thing, and the thing Favre and commissioner/referee Goodell discussed Saturday would be for Favre to wait and see about his 2008 team. "Roger said it could be some situation later in the year that we don't know about right now, when the stakes are higher,'' Favre told me. "That's an option. I agree with him.''

My idea: Favre gives the Packers a list of 12 teams outside the NFC North he'd accept a trade to. I'm talking the best teams, like Indy or New England. And if any of those teams suffered a quarterback injury or replaced a quarterback because of performance, Thompson would agree to make a deal with that team based on a sliding scale of compensation depending on when the trade would be made. If a primo team had an injury to its quarterback in Week 4 and could get Favre for a fourth-round pick that could turn into a three or two, they'd jump at it.

Are there problems with this? Yes. You can't force a team to trade for a player, even a player with something left in his tank like Favre. And what if an injury occurs after the Oct. 14 trading deadline? I don't have an answer for that. But staying home, staying in shape, and playing the waiting game has some appeal to Favre. He's not a confrontational person, so I think if he reports to camp this week, he's not going to like the mayhem that ensues and he and the Pack will be looking for a compromise. Maybe that entails keeping him on the roster and paying him to stay away. I don't know. But the endgame, I believe, has to result in Favre on another team at some point this season.

10. I think I know this too shall pass. What was Jerry Rice's last team? Seriously: What team was he with last in the NFL? You don't know. (Well, OK, all you Bronco fans know.) He was in Denver's camp trying to make that team on his way out of the NFL. And the media was all atwitter with stuff like: "You're ruining your legacy, Jerry!''

Today, few people remember that. People remember Rice as a revered 49er. He's got one of the greatest legacies a professional athlete could have. Ditto Favre. Five years down the road the emotion will be out of the equation, and the Packers will be hiring a sculptor to erect a third bronze statue outside Lambeau Field for Favre, joining Lambeau and Lombardi.

"If this doesn't work out,'' Favre said close to midnight Saturday, "there's no way to duplicate the relationship I have with the fans. When Bart Starr was fired by the Packers as coach, it was rough, but look now. He's much bigger than that. He's Bart Starr. Fans forgot the firing. Whatever happens, that will never have an effect on my love for the team or the fans. This is the ugliness of business. I understand.''

Quote of the Week I
"I'm just doing my due diligence for the team. Do you have any interest in trading for Brett Favre?''
--Green Bay director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie, in a telephone conversation with one NFL team last week, according to an official with that team

The team said no. The conversation lasted about 40 seconds.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 09:21 AM
It's becoming WORSE than just ugly.

It's ALL WRONG as some of us know it in our hearts today. Dedicate ourselves as fans in terms of ' the BIG picture ' and ' the Green Bay Packers '.

PACKERS FOREVER! :idea:

Fritz
07-28-2008, 09:23 AM
"Thompson asked Favre for a list of teams he'd accept a trade to on Saturday -- for at least the second time -- and Favre would not give him one. That's because the minute Favre gives Thompson a list, the Packers will get a deal done with one of the teams on the list."

If this is so, then Favre doesn't really want to just play, does he? I don't even know if he knows what he wants. He knows now he's not welcome in Green Bay, he says he just wants to play football, but he won't draw up a list of acceptable teams, nor will he talk with the Jets or Bucs.

I think he's in revenge mode - he wants to force his release so he can go play for the Queens.

boiga
07-28-2008, 09:45 AM
His words to me Saturday: "I never didn't want to play. My problem was, was I committed to do the offseason program, was I going to be up to the task of doing everything that comes with it -- studying, working out, preparing? Playing was never going to be the problem. What I live for is playing the games.
I think this is why M3 is pissed at Favre right now. The only reason Brett retired was to get out of McCarthy's offseason program. You all know highly Mike thinks of offseason improvement, and Brett is now saying the prospect of that amount of work drove him away.

So, here's your evidence TT haters. Ted didn't drive Brett away, McCarthy did by expecting Brett to work with the team during may. McCarthy would not have given him a pass this year, and unless Brett get's special love and treatment, Brett won't play. Like PK said, "He'd like to be loved a little bit."

I can't really disagree with PK's analysis of our situation. If Rodger's stellar, we're cool. Anything else and we're screwed.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 09:59 AM
"Thompson asked Favre for a list of teams he'd accept a trade to on Saturday -- for at least the second time -- and Favre would not give him one. That's because the minute Favre gives Thompson a list, the Packers will get a deal done with one of the teams on the list."

If this is so, then Favre doesn't really want to just play, does he? I don't even know if he knows what he wants. He knows now he's not welcome in Green Bay, he says he just wants to play football, but he won't draw up a list of acceptable teams, nor will he talk with the Jets or Bucs.

I think he's in revenge mode - he wants to force his release so he can go play for the Queens.

Favre thinks as I do ' of a sense '. That he knows ' the real ' Ted Thompson and Favre feels that a lot worse that I can.

Favre does not = revenge. He = Brett Favre and survival in himself Fritz.

Ted Thompson builds the wall for Favre to overcome the best he must in himself.

Brett Favre must be 'his own Man/Person just like all of us. I see that he is. I understand Favre's focus; that attention is clearly what is best for Ted Thompson as his and OUR teams GM. For ' the Green Bay Packers '.

Today so far to my knowledge and clear understanding. Brett Favre still loves 'the Green Bay Packers'. He sure did this past weekend ie on Saturday 26 July,2008 and if we believe Brett Favre? I do.

I certainly believe Brett Favre. I believe that man. Favre's integrity in spite of all the pain and anguish he's had to stand tall through. The other side of it all. Ted Thompson still cowering and posing; 'in the focus' of the press not showing himself well at all. It's obviously that.

Ted Thompson only had one clear decision to make . ONE! Then it all goes away.

Otherwise he and MM and the Packer players and the Packer Organization and ALL Packer fans World Wide... live with the consequences of Ted Thompson.

Brett Favre on Saturday 26 July,2008 was Ted Thompson's BEST friend. Favre gives, has given Ted Thompson every opportunity to see ' just that ' Fritz.

Where's Ted Thompson? :idea:

I really feel deeply that I see it all man. It's too easy for me not to.

I see this Fritz and there's still time for Ted Thompson and his boss's to recover. That is ' my prayer ' for Ted Thompson and Brett Favre and OUR team and for this:

PACKERS FOREVER!

The Shadow
07-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Favre thinks as I do ' of a sense '. That he knows ' the real ' Ted Thompson and Favre feels that a lot worse that I can.

Brett Favre must be 'his own Man/Person just like all of us. I see that he is. I understand Favre's focus; that attention is clearly what is best for Ted Thompson as his and OUR teams GM. For ' the Green Bay Packers '.

Today so far to my knowledge and clear understanding. Brett Favre still loves 'the Green Bay Packers'. He sure did this past weekend ie on Saturday 26 July,2008 and if we believe Brett Favre? I do.

I certainly believe Brett Favre. I believe that man. Favre's integrity in spite of all the pain and anguish he's had to stand tall through. The other side of it all. Ted Thompson still cowering and posing; 'in the focus' of the press not showing himself well at all. It's obviously that.

Otherwise he and MM and the Packer players and the Packer Organization and ALL Packer fans World Wide... live with the consequences of Ted Thompson.

Brett Favre on Saturday 26 July,2008 was Ted Thompson's BEST friend. Favre gives, has given Ted Thompson every opportunity to see ' just that ' Fritz.

I see this Fritz and there's still time for Ted Thompson and his boss's to recover. That is ' my prayer ' for Ted Thompson and Brett Favre and OUR team and for this:

PACKERS FOREVER!

How's life on Pluto?

texaspackerbacker
07-28-2008, 10:33 AM
This King article makes the assumption--wrongly, I think--that the Packers WANT something to happen/WANT a trade. I don't think they do. NOTHING at all is the best of all outcomes. I think that Thompson is deliberately setting the price--first round pick--too high because he prefers NOT to make a trade--and if he does, it will yield more than it ought to.

Every day Favre does nothing, his staying retired becomes more likely--that's a good thing. The question comes down to: does he want to hurt the Packers to the tune of $12 million--a lot of money, but something Favre undoubtedly doesn't really need? Or does he value his legacy with Packer fans more--fading back into retirement instead of getting paid according to his contract for sitting?

And as for the crisis talk, no. There is no crisis; There is no pressure to get anything done; It's business as usual for the players, coaching staff, and Packer administration. It's mainly the God damned media and maybe a few posters that are in such a frenzy about this. I doubt even Favre is all that stressed over the whole mess.

gex
07-28-2008, 10:43 AM

PACKERS FOREVER!

How's life on Pluto? :roll:

How's life with your head in Uranus, old man!

Fkn haters always throwing out their sneaky little insults and jabs.

cpk1994
07-28-2008, 10:46 AM

PACKERS FOREVER!

Pot, meet kettle.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 10:52 AM

PACKERS FOREVER!

How's life on Pluto?

Is ignorance ' in your world ', bliss, The Shadow? It surely isn't in mine man. Thank goodness. I have to be stronger than you ' The Shadow ', as I try my best, to be a friend and serve your strength.

I dedicated my self a long time ago. That dedication sure has a lot more to do with ' the something ', a lot bigger than this man:

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 11:05 AM

PACKERS FOREVER!

Maybe he and those like him will come to their senses one day? Till then we hope for them. We never cringe under their attacks and insults that reflect back on themselves, as the sadly lost people they have become.

I have faith. Therefore never defeated ' in my faith '.

Hate is obvious and onto ' the hater ' only a scar not the mortal wound.

People here need to be TOLD. That we decided on a new way at Packerrats. To attack the post . NOT the poster.

I believe that day is coming; and will build onto OUR Packer Home favourably. That is at hand and correct. :idea:

I'll see that day here.

PACKERRATS FOREVER!

PACKERS FOREVER!

gex
07-28-2008, 11:11 AM

PACKERS FOREVER!

Pot, meet kettle.

Dude, your one of the worst one's here!
I just point out who they are and mirror it back.
Pretty tough seeing how you really are, huh? :oops:

cpk1994
07-28-2008, 11:20 AM

PACKERS FOREVER!

Pot, meet kettle.

Pretty tough seeing how you really are, huh? :oops:You wanna throw out insults and jabs, fine by me. Im not the one trying to act so superior by pointing it out and implying I've never done it before. Pretty tough seeing how you really are, huh? :oops:

bobblehead
07-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I think this is why M3 is pissed at Favre right now. The only reason Brett retired was to get out of McCarthy's offseason program. You all know highly Mike thinks of offseason improvement, and Brett is now saying the prospect of that amount of work drove him away.

So, here's your evidence TT haters. Ted didn't drive Brett away, McCarthy did by expecting Brett to work with the team during may. McCarthy would not have given him a pass this year, and unless Brett get's special love and treatment, Brett won't play. Like PK said, "He'd like to be loved a little bit."

I can't really disagree with PK's analysis of our situation. If Rodger's stellar, we're cool. Anything else and we're screwed.
Bingo number one.

bobblehead
07-28-2008, 11:36 AM

And bingo number two. These are what I have said for about a week, brett didn't want to work, tried to outsmart TT and MM and lost, now he is pissed and is trying again. He wants to play for minny and no one else, he wants revenge on them for holding him accountable.

I am glad I was old enough to never "idolize" favre, but I really did like him a lot, and now.............well, please retire and come back to graciously retire your number and praise the team in december....its your best move.

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
My God, people, can we not have a quote box the size of Alaska on the page?

Fritz
07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I agree with both of the above posts. In addition, I would again point out that Favre himself has said, the last few years, that he cannot play at the high level he's capable of unless he puts in all the grueling offseason training. Hell, that training is what he said pushed him out of the game.

So this is an interesting season in that Favre now wants to play, but without having done the offseason work. How will he fare if he ends up playing for another team this year? A new system (we know how Favre really likes to have a favorite receiver he's established a rapport with), and no offseason regimen outside of working out at the local high school. Hmm.

boiga
07-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Fritz, I think it's that exact worry that is fortifying Ted and Mike's backbone about Aaron being the starter. If Favre came back to camp, he'd be well rested and ready to go. He'd be as good as ever and A-Rod wouldn't have a chance in direct competition. But as the season goes on and his level of conditioning will become more apparent, Brett will get run down and we'd all start wishing that we had a younger QB.

Favre always used to say that they pay you to train, but you play the games for you. Well, he decided to sit out of the off season regime that they were paying him for, and is now surprised that they won't let him play the games anyways.

M3 has it right.

The Leaper
07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Brett will get run down and we'd all start wishing that we had a younger QB.

That's why we have Rodgers. No need to wish. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Thompson asked Favre for a list of teams he'd accept a trade to on Saturday -- for at least the second time -- and Favre would not give him one. That's because the minute Favre gives Thompson a list, the Packers will get a deal done with one of the teams on the list.

SHOUTOUT to Bretsky!!!!!

Why don't you add this quote to your .SIG

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 12:08 PM

PACKERS FOREVER!

Pot, meet kettle.

Pretty tough seeing how you really are, huh? :oops:You wanna throw out insults and jabs, fine by me. Im not the one trying to act so superior by pointing it out and implying I've never done it before. Pretty tough seeing how you really are, huh? :oops:

Your behaving like an immature fella, ' a boy ' cpk1994. In case your not. Post like you can even resemble a man or if your 21 years of age or over.

:idea: Teenager You cpk1994 ?

Observe BallHawk if you will cpk1994.

If your still in your teens cpk1994, I have confidence in this ' as a fact ' for your development. BallHawk will mentor to you cpk1994 in his posting style. BallHawk posts with intelligence and decency. With a sense of being fair and decent in himself. Now cpk1994. BallHawk has a definite advantage too. Having obvious intelligence. Possessing some self respect in his esteem.

Just a little heads up for you cpk1994. I care for you. :D

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Thompson asked Favre for a list of teams he'd accept a trade to on Saturday -- for at least the second time -- and Favre would not give him one. That's because the minute Favre gives Thompson a list, the Packers will get a deal done with one of the teams on the list.

SHOUTOUT to Bretsky!!!!!

Why don't you add this quote to your .SIG

boiga
07-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Brett will get run down and we'd all start wishing that we had a younger QB.

That's why we have Rodgers. No need to wish. You can have your cake and eat it too.Save that Rodgers needs those reps. Odds are good that Aaron will be a better quarterback at week 14 then he will be in week 1. He'll have the learning curve working for him by that point.

The opposite would be true for Favre, as seen in the Chicago game last year. Favre's learning curve flatlined 10 years ago.