PDA

View Full Version : "LET ME COMPETE. U KNOW I'LL WIN THIS JOB...!"

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2008, 08:35 AM
LOL....gota love #4 telling mm that. i wonder what arod is sayn bout that PRIVATELY...

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 09:15 AM
LOL....gota love #4 telling mm that. i wonder what arod is sayn bout that PRIVATELY...

Favre always wanted 'to just see it - to believe it'. He's a lot like most of us.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Fritz
07-28-2008, 09:16 AM
i wonder what kind of shape he's in. In the past he's said part of the reason he'd been considering retirement is because it takes a whole offseason of dedication to be in the kind of shape he needs to be in to do what he does during the season.

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 09:18 AM
i wonder what kind of shape he's in. In the past he's said part of the reason he'd been considering retirement is because it takes a whole offseason of dedication to be in the kind of shape he needs to be in to do what he does during the season.

Which is ironic. He said he retired because he couldn't put the offseason work in.

Well, whats he doing now? Working out with HSers....that shows he is committed? What happened to what he said during his retirement speech?

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 09:26 AM

Fritz. I trust what I've read and seen and he's ready. As ' in shape ' and it will all get better soon. Favre has certainly had some distractions, hahaa Re: needed and desired focus. :D

Favre is Favre.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Fritz
07-28-2008, 09:26 AM
I've been wondering about that, too, Chevelle.

This is of course speculation, but I believe he's getting caught up in the emotional part of wanting to payback TT and MM for what he considers poor treatment, so Favre has this idea in his head to come back and play to show the Pack he's still the man - but he only wants to do that for the Queens, apparently.

This could blow up on him. What if TT lets him go and he goes to Minny? I wonder how well he would do? By his own admission, many times in the past, he needs the strenuous offseason work in order to be able to do the kinds of magical stuff he does during the regular season.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 09:32 AM

Which is ironic. He said he retired because he couldn't put the offseason work in.

Well, whats he doing now? Working out with HSers....that shows he is committed? What happened to what he said during his retirement speech?

That speech spoke a thousand words concerning ' the real pain ' Brett Favre was suffering. That had little to do with preparing to use all his experience, talents/skills as a starting NFL QB with the Green Bay Packers'.

Lets not 'spin' on Brett Favre and being or not prepared. PLEASE. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 09:41 AM

That speech spoke a thousand words concerning ' the real pain ' Brett Favre was suffering. That had little to do with preparing to use all his experience, talents/skills as a starting NFL QB with the Green Bay Packers'.

Lets not 'spin' on Brett Favre and being or not prepared. PLEASE. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

But it was more the in-season strain. And Mike knows this, there were numerous Saturdays (before) home games where I was here at 8:30 at night watching film. I had never done that before. It was never enough for me. And Deanna knows this, after numerous games I would come home and after a couple of hours I had the computer out and I was watching film of the upcoming opponent instead of enjoying the win we just had. At some point, you've got to relax and enjoy and I found myself not enjoying it as much. It's fun to win but you've got to enjoy it and relax a little bit. That more than anything was taking its toll on me.

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2008, 01:13 PM

im sure he's in great shape; he's too prideful to come in slacking at this point

shoulda just listened to deanna and came in!

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2008, 01:17 PM

he changed his mind; what a loser

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 02:44 PM
what type of "plan" does MM have when favre reports???

he stated yesterday that he has one in place

Patler
07-29-2008, 02:59 PM

THAT, will be interesting t see. He also emphasized that it is very important for the other three QBs to get their snaps, being so young.

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM
"let me compete. You know I'll win this job"

that is exactly the mentality that made Favre who he is... its the mentality of him zingin a pass in between two guys for a game winning touchdown, or going for it all and looking like the goat when the game is on the line... ya gotta love him for it, no matter what you stance is on this situation

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2008, 03:37 PM

And yet some will criticize Rodgers for his "get on board" quote.

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
you can compare apples to oranges if you want... Rodgers has nothing to say until he goes out and actually does something...

favre cocked off to the media before the super bowl season about sayin just bet against him... only difference is he was already league MVP... see the difference?

Chevelle2
07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
you can compare apples to oranges if you want... Rodgers has nothing to say until he goes out and actually does something...

favre cocked off to the media before the super bowl season about sayin just bet against him... only difference is he was already league MVP... see the difference?

Favre cocked off in ATL and GB when he showed up to practice drunk and hungover.

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Favre cocked off in ATL and GB when he showed up to practice drunk and hungover.

Did you hear him ever say anything back then? He mighta partied a lot, but he was always a "yes mam, no mam" guy... he didnt call out the loyal fans, nothing... i really didnt have a problem with Arod showing he might have a sac after all.. but harvey tried to compare the two situations and its nothing alike

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Did you hear him ever say anything back then? He mighta partied a lot, but he was always a "yes mam, no mam" guy... he didnt call out the loyal fans, nothing... i really didnt have a problem with Arod showing he might have a sac after all.. but harvey tried to compare the two situations and its nothing alike

Actually, I saw an interview with Brett in the offseason he was traded to Green Bay, and he was cocky then. It might even be on youtube somewhere. I don't have a problem with the statement by either Favre or Rodgers. I want my QB to be a little cocky (but not overly arrogant). I have a problem with the double standard though. I'm not saying you had the double standard. Some people did. There were mostly Favre backers who criticized Rodgers for what he said.

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Harv.. while I dont have a problem with a bit of cockiness... i do have a problem with him coming at the fans... thats about my only complaint i have with him so far, otherwise he's handled himself in a very professional manner

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 03:59 PM
LETS GOOOOOOOO.......!!!

like highschool and college days, MAY THE BEST MAN WIN!!!

u think arod is as confident in himself as mm and tt CLAIM to be in him????

hmmmmm...

GBRulz
07-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Actually, I saw an interview with Brett in the offseason he was traded to Green Bay, and he was cocky then. It might even be on youtube somewhere. I don't have a problem with the statement by either Favre or Rodgers. I want my QB to be a little cocky (but not overly arrogant). I have a problem with the double standard though. I'm not saying you had the double standard. Some people did. There were mostly Favre backers who criticized Rodgers for what he said.

Still I don't see a comparison because Favre never said anything that would alienate the fans.

Chevelle2
07-29-2008, 04:00 PM

Still I don't see a comparison because Favre never said anything that would alienate the fans.

Its not Rodgers fault you have thin skin.

mngolf19
07-29-2008, 04:00 PM

THAT, will be interesting t see. He also emphasized that it is very important for the other three QBs to get their snaps, being so young.

And if he stays on Pack, how soon will they waive Flynn? Not gonna keep him around long and likely he'll get scooped up by some other team.

boiga
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
And if he stays on Pack, how soon will they waive Flynn? Not gonna keep him around long and likely he'll get scooped up by some other team.Flynn's safe, for now. If brett comes back, that'll just mean that Flynn will get stuck on the practice squad for a year.

However, it is true that with Brett back they are going to need to lose someone to get back under the 80 man roster limit. I wonder if Harrell will go the same way as bodiford...

mngolf19
07-29-2008, 04:05 PM
And if he stays on Pack, how soon will they waive Flynn? Not gonna keep him around long and likely he'll get scooped up by some other team.Flynn's safe, for now. If brett comes back, that'll just mean that Flynn will get stuck on the practice squad for a year.

However, it is true that with Brett back they are going to need to lose someone to get back under the 80 man roster limit. I wonder if Harrell will go the same way as bodiford...

Boiga, last year the Vikes tried to stash a drafted QB on the practice squad. He was taken by KC. You think that won't happen again? And you have to waive him to put on the practice squad.

GBRulz
07-29-2008, 04:06 PM

Did I say anything about personally being offended by Rodgers comment? No. I simply said that the two comments cannot be compared.

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 04:06 PM
How about one of our 100 WR's that will not sniff this squad?

Chevelle2
07-29-2008, 04:07 PM

Did I say anything about being offended by Rodgers comment? No. I simply said that the two comments cannot be compared.

You said it alienated the fans. You are a fan. Therefore, you were alienated.

Say what you mean, mean what you say.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2008, 04:08 PM

What did Rodgers say that would alienate fans? He was responding to fans that criticize him before he's even had a chance to prove himself. I don't think most normal fans would have been offended. Personally, I'm more offended that Brett appears to want to play for the Vikings. I think that's a much bigger slap in the face than what Rodgers said. Also, I bet if you went back and read Brett's quotes from late 93 or early 94, you'd find similar quotes. When a majority of fans were getting on him during his struggles, I vaguely remember him defending himself in a way that was pretty similar to what Rodgers did. Of course, he's Brett Favre, and he's never done anything wrong.

I still don't get your beef, GBR. You're the one that has said good things about Rodgers when you met him in person. Did you really take offense at his little comment that fans should get on board or shut up?

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
As it might be a slap in the face for Brett to wanna play for them.. its a slap in the face to him that they've turned their back on him...

do you even realize that starting streak could end with him riding the pines.. and not even playin his way to the bench?... one of the most prolific streaks that will ever happen and he's just gonna sit on the bench? fuck no, if i were him I'd wanna be on the vikes too.. they probably have a better team than us anyways, just no coaching so far

boiga
07-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Boiga, last year the Vikes tried to stash a drafted QB on the practice squad. He was taken by KC. You think that won't happen again? And you have to waive him to put on the practice squad.True, and you're right that it is a risk, but not a gigantic one. Flynn needs a fair amount of nurturing before he'll be of any use to us anyways.

GBRulz
07-29-2008, 04:12 PM

Yeah, well I recall you telling me that Favre was their favorite player and was asking if I ever got to meet him, etc. Now you dog on him left and right. Soooo, can you remind me again what you mean by "say what you mean, mean what you say?" :roll:

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 04:14 PM
seriously fellow fans, dont we ALL wanna see #4 lead this talented team to the big dance? i mean, all those years with the whack job sherman and he finally has a team that can challenge for the trip to tampa. he's EARNED that in spite of his "bad' games

btw,
how many QBs have bad games?

imho, he DESRVES to be able to compete for startn spot...

i mean, merely ONE MORE YEAR WITH ARGUABLY THE BEST QB ever, then arod can be handed the torch

my god it's a NO BRAINER

GBRulz
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
I still don't get your beef, GBR. You're the one that has said good things about Rodgers when you met him in person. Did you really take offense at his little comment that fans should get on board or shut up?

I wasn't pissed by what Rodgers said. Where are you getting that from? He pissed off a lot of fans with his remarks but it didn't bother me any.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2008, 04:21 PM
I wasn't pissed by what Rodgers said. Where are you getting that from? He pissed off a lot of fans with his remarks but it didn't bother me any.

I'm guessing the pro-Favre fans? That's my point. If Brett had said the same thing, those fans wouldn't have thought anything of it.

Chevelle2
07-29-2008, 04:22 PM

Yeah, well I recall you telling me that Favre was their favorite player and was asking if I ever got to meet him, etc. Now you dog on him left and right. Soooo, can you remind me again what you mean by "say what you mean, mean what you say?" :roll:

I can like Favre, and disagree with something he does, no?

mraynrand
07-29-2008, 05:59 PM

20 minutes, three times per week on the Bowflex ought to be enough.

mraynrand
07-29-2008, 06:00 PM

I'm guessing the pro-Favre fans? That's my point. If Brett had said the same thing, those fans wouldn't have thought anything of it.

Not true. They would have said: "Favre's right, damn straight!"

mission
07-29-2008, 06:02 PM

I can like Favre, and disagree with something he does, no?

Yup.

Ive been quoted as saying I would boo jesus before favre .... and well, i just hate how this shit is going.

hurleyfan
07-29-2008, 06:12 PM
seriously fellow fans, dont we ALL wanna see #4 lead this talented team to the big dance? i mean, all those years with the whack job sherman and he finally has a team that can challenge for the trip to tampa. he's EARNED that in spite of his "bad' games

btw,

i mean, merely ONE MORE YEAR WITH ARGUABLY THE BEST QB ever, then arod can be handed the torch

my god it's a NO BRAINER

Ok MOBB, back on the track!
I think the majority of fans (Packer fans and NFL fans) want to see Favre at least get a chance to lead this team..

But the question remains, how many playoff games has Favre won over the last few years? The Seahawks in the snow at Lambeau? But I offer Holmgren is as much at fault for playoff game losses due to his stubborness as anyone player. (the 1997 Packers should've kicked the crap out of the smaller Broncos with the power run game and play action pass, not give in to all pass in 2nd half) They get a real hungry team at home, the Giants as underdogs... Favre looks like he'd rather be anywhere but @that game :roll: :roll:

At least give arguably one of the best QB's of alltime the chance to lead the Pack.. let the chips fall where they may..

arcilite
07-29-2008, 06:14 PM

btw,

my god it's a NO BRAINER

Then when we lose another home playoff game, and Favre retires.

Then un-retires next offseason.

We do the same damn thing again.

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 08:00 PM

I think it was the shut up reference they didn't like

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 08:02 PM

Did I say anything about personally being offended by Rodgers comment? No. I simply said that the two comments cannot be compared.

completely agree; it was the snapping at the fans that "can" be criticized

Either comment didn't bug me much; but I don't blame anybody who took offense to AROD's comments

Partial
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM

Telling fans to shut up and saying I can beat the kid I have beaten everytime I have gone against him are two very different things.

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 09:27 PM

thats rich....

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 09:40 PM

dont assume; im pro-favre but had NO problem with it. people read too much into things. waste of time imho

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 09:44 PM

btw,

my god it's a NO BRAINER

I think the majority of fans (Packer fans and NFL fans) want to see Favre at least get a chance to lead this team..

But the question remains, how many playoff games has Favre won over the last few years? The Seahawks in the snow at Lambeau? But I offer Holmgren is as much at fault for playoff game losses due to his stubborness as anyone player. (the 1997 Packers should've kicked the crap out of the smaller Broncos with the power run game and play action pass, not give in to all pass in 2nd half) They get a real hungry team at home, the Giants as underdogs... Favre looks like he'd rather be anywhere but @that game :roll: :roll:

At least give arguably one of the best QB's of alltime the chance to lead the Pack.. let the chips fall where they may..

yeah, holmy (benedict arnold) surely blew it in SD

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 09:58 PM

btw,

my god it's a NO BRAINER

Mobb,

Does it surprise you a bit the strong % in here that want Favre ousted to another conference ?

Cheers,
B

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 10:46 PM

btw,

my god it's a NO BRAINER

Mobb,

Does it surprise you a bit the strong % in here that want Favre ousted to another conference ?

Cheers,
B

VERY interestn

GrnBay007
07-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Mobb,

Cheers,
B

VERY interestn

VERY sad!

LEWCWA
07-30-2008, 03:35 AM
MOBB THE VOICE OF REASON! Like he said its a no brainer. Favre has no problem with a competition for the job. He knows he is the better player....why hasn't Arod come out and said they should compete for Favre's job. Cause he can't beat him out!

Lurker64
07-30-2008, 06:00 AM
MOBB THE VOICE OF REASON! Like he said its a no brainer. Favre has no problem with a competition for the job. He knows he is the better player....why hasn't Arod come out and said they should compete for Favre's job. Cause he can't beat him out!

Because it's not Aaron Rodger's job to decide whether or not there's a QB competition, and if he said there should (or shouldn't) be one he'd be stepping on McCarthy's toes here, since it's really not Rodger's call at all. Rodgers should say something along the lines of "If coach wants me to start, I'll start. If coach wants me to compete, I'll compete. If coach wants me to back up, I'll do that too. I just throw passes, deciding these things isn't my job".

Quarterbacks should not presuppose they are either head coaches or general managers. There are some decisions that they don't get to make, and generally their opinions on these decisions are frankly irrelevant.

MOBB DEEP
07-30-2008, 10:59 AM
do u think holmy or sherm head would favor the "competition?"

in fact, what nfl coach, dead or alive WOULDNT favor inserting the best QB they have the rights to???

BAFFLN

boiga
07-30-2008, 11:01 AM
do u think holmy or sherm head would favor the "competition?"

in fact, what nfl coach, dead or alive WOULDNT favor inserting the best QB they have the rights to???

BAFFLNThey must not think that he is the best quarterback they have rights to, huh?

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 11:25 AM

Telling fans to shut up and saying I can beat the kid I have beaten everytime I have gone against him are two very different things.Favre never beat Rodgers because their was no competition.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 11:33 AM
MOBB THE VOICE OF REASON! Like he said its a no brainer. Favre has no problem with a competition for the job. He knows he is the better player....why hasn't Arod come out and said they should compete for Favre's job. Cause he can't beat him out!Thats not what Brett said. Also, ARod hasn't said anything about competing because to this point Favre was still retired.

PackerBlues
07-30-2008, 11:33 AM
The stupidest part about this whole thing is the simple fact that the Packers could have started Favre this season, then after a bad game or a few bad throws (honestly, this is Favre we are talking about here, its bound to happen eventually), M3 could have put Rogers in without it becoming such a media circus. If Rogers performed well, he could remain the starter, if not, put Favre back in. Favre would not want to be part of a QB rotation, and would have been the bad guy if he wanted to leave under those circumstances.

Instead Thompson has fueled this media circus on pure ego alone. Good job Ted. :roll:

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
The stupidest part about this whole thing is the simple fact that the Packers could have started Favre this season, then after a bad game or a few bad throws (honestly, this is Favre we are talking about here, its bound to happen eventually), M3 could have put Rogers in without it becoming such a media circus. If Rogers performed well, he could remain the starter, if not, put Favre back in. Favre would not want to be part of a QB rotation, and would have been the bad guy if he wanted to leave under those circumstances.

Instead Thompson has fueled this media circus on pure ego alone. Good job Ted. :roll:You are ignorant if you think the media wouldn't make a circus out of a Favre benching during the season. You really underestimate the media.

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 08:40 PM
MOBB THE VOICE OF REASON! Like he said its a no brainer. Favre has no problem with a competition for the job. He knows he is the better player....why hasn't Arod come out and said they should compete for Favre's job. Cause he can't beat him out!Thats not what Brett said. Also, ARod hasn't said anything about competing because to this point Favre was still retired.

who here STILL thinks favre would've won an open competition???

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2008, 08:43 PM

my brain just exploded.

gbgary
10-27-2008, 09:07 PM

who here still gives a shit? http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 09:09 PM

who here still gives a shit? http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

people like chevelle (and others) who make threads comparing their stats....

BallHawk
10-27-2008, 09:09 PM

In a fair competition, Rodgers wins relatively convincingly.

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 09:10 PM

thanx for offering ur opinion...simple question

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2008, 09:12 PM

That's kinda hard to say. He might get psyched-out by having to compete with the Legend.

I'm glad that Rogers is the QB of the PAckers right now, and I don't mean that as a slight to Favre. I like building for the future, and he currently performs at a similar level.

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 09:40 PM

That's kinda hard to say. He might get psyched-out by having to compete with the Legend.

I'm glad that Rogers is the QB of the PAckers right now, and I don't mean that as a slight to Favre. I like building for the future, and he currently performs at a similar level.

good point

Pacopete4
10-27-2008, 10:11 PM

good point

my only beef was this team could have won now... as we stand we will be fighting all year for a playoff spot.. last year we were talking home field advantange.. it just stinks we let one, maybe two years of that slip away but Arod will more than likely be good in a couple years, I just hope we still have the talent here

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 11:07 PM

good point

my only beef was this team could have won now... as we stand we will be fighting all year for a playoff spot.. last year we were talking home field advantange.. it just stinks we let one, maybe two years of that slip away but Arod will more than likely be good in a couple years, I just hope we still have the talent here

as long as tt does good job of puttn folk around him, AARON (thers only ONE arod people!) will make a few pro-bowls

bobblehead
10-28-2008, 04:33 AM

good point

Have you seen how many picks brett has tossed in the last 3 weeks? Last year he put in a HUGE amount of work he is not putting in this year.....which was his gripe with MM....and had a near career year. This year he is the 2001 thru 2006 favre again.

edit: did I see that right? "arod will more than likely be good in a couple years"...Have you not been watching? Arod is playing lights out on a damaged wing no less.

bobblehead
10-28-2008, 04:35 AM

I think rodgers would have won easily. NOw I am asking a question....who here that backed favre would have accepted that rodgers won fair and square if TT and MM had allowed a competition and declared ARod the winner?

Fritz
10-28-2008, 07:08 AM

good point

Have you seen how many picks brett has tossed in the last 3 weeks? Last year he put in a HUGE amount of work he is not putting in this year.....which was his gripe with MM....and had a near career year. This year he is the 2001 thru 2006 favre again.

edit: did I see that right? "arod will more than likely be good in a couple years"...Have you not been watching? Arod is playing lights out on a damaged wing no less.

This was my stated fear at the time. Favre did not want to do the offseason work any more, and the results show during the season. He's playing like he did when he didn't have someone really pushing and guiding him, I think.

Had he worked out in the offseason and been subjected to the usual MM rigors, it might've been that he'd have been better for this offense this year than Rodgers. Maybe. But it wasn't to be so.

RashanGary
10-28-2008, 07:30 AM

Last year we had a top 10 defense. This year it's bottom 10. Last year we were remarkably healthy. This year, really banged up. Last year the scheudle played out just right. This year, not so much. I think this team is what it is. There have been a lot more Favre lead 9-7/10-6 teams than 13-3 teams. The more likely sinerio is that we would be in a similar boat imo. This Packer team isn't as good or fortunate as last years to this point. QB is one position we are getting similar play and there I doubt Favre would have played up to his last years level either (take a look at Brett the jet).

gex
10-28-2008, 08:34 AM

good point

Idk Paco, My biggest worry is that we become nothing but a farm system for the rest of the nfl, by getting them when they are young and letting them go after 4 years cause" Hey we like building for the future" :cry:

Zool
10-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Name 3 players who were young, had potential and not resigned. Or at least come close to some sort of truth in your posts.

gex
10-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Name 3 players who were young, had potential and not resigned. Or at least come close to some sort of truth in your posts.

Settle the fuck down,boy!
I said my biggest worry was......
Down boy down
and you call yourself a mod :roll:

Zool
10-28-2008, 09:24 AM
You sure do hate being called out on your BS. Maybe you should stop typing it?

Chevelle2
10-28-2008, 09:30 AM

Drew Brees....or were you talking about solely Packers?

mraynrand
10-28-2008, 09:37 AM

I think rodgers would have won easily. NOw I am asking a question....who here that backed favre would have accepted that rodgers won fair and square if TT and MM had allowed a competition and declared ARod the winner?

I'll be honest - I would have thought there was a bit of 'stuffing of the ballot box' going on in Rodgers' favor. But watching the JETS play, it's startling to see what happens to an old guy who did (not) physically train for the season and who is undisciplined with the ball. As I said elsewhere, Favre is a caricature of himself now. He actually plays well most of the time - albeit sluggish - then goes into 'chuck one up' mode for absolutely no apparent reason.

edit: forgot to add 'not'

TennesseePackerBacker
10-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Craig Hentrich, Hunter Hillenmeyer, and.......Ahmad Carroll? jk Mike Wahle?

I dont know, I tried...but that's obviously much harder than it looks. The fact is, the Pack don't let too many get away.

I can't stand half-assed accusations without any real proof to back it up.

sheepshead
10-28-2008, 01:42 PM

good point

Rodgers is bad? Can we pin one loss on him?

Zool
10-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Maybe ATL? I didnt get to see it so I have no basis to say, but his numbers were bad.

mraynrand
10-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Craig Hentrich, Hunter Hillenmeyer, and.......Ahmad Carroll? jk Mike Wahle?

I dont know, I tried...but that's obviously much harder than it looks. The fact is, the Pack don't let too many get away.

I can't stand half-assed accusations without any real proof to back it up.

You could add in Allen Rossum - Packers missed his returns for a long time.

BF4MVP
10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Maybe ATL? I didnt get to see it so I have no basis to say, but his numbers were bad.
25-37 for 313 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 109.4 rating is bad?

You must be thinking of Tampa, in which case you would be correct, his numbers were terrible in that game. 14-27, 165 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT, 55 rating. Although Cliffy getting absolutely whipped and letting Rodgers get drilled on that last interception didn't help Rodgers as he was trying to lead a winning drive after spraining his shoulder...

BF4MVP
10-28-2008, 02:14 PM
And to answer MOBB's question, after watching them both play this year, there's no doubt in my mind that Rodgers is the better quarterback right now, and would have won a fair competition for the starting job.

Zool
10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
25-37 for 313 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 109.4 rating is bad?

You must be thinking of Tampa, in which case you would be correct, his numbers were terrible in that game. 14-27, 165 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT, 55 rating. Although Cliffy getting absolutely whipped and letting Rodgers get drilled on that last interception didn't help Rodgers as he was trying to lead a winning drive after spraining his shoulder...

Yeah Tampa.

Chevelle2
10-28-2008, 02:35 PM
And to answer MOBB's question, after watching them both play this year, there's no doubt in my mind that Rodgers is the better quarterback right now, and would have won a fair competition for the starting job.

Agree.

People keep saying "Well Favre is a foreign system, he is BOUND to struggle a bit"

I can agree with this. But Favre's troubles don't appear to be "team specific" That is, the same things that are happening over there, would happen here.

He is holding the ball too long, not willing to throw it away.
He has no mobility.
He still throws a few up for grabs every game.

Those would happen in NYJ, GB, or China.

gex
10-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Agree.

People keep saying "Well Favre is a foreign system, he is BOUND to struggle a bit"

I can agree with this. But Favre's troubles don't appear to be "team specific" That is, the same things that are happening over there, would happen here.

He has no mobility.

Fritz
10-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Ithink Favre not only being in a foreign system, but more importantly not having the rigourous offseason workouts and a coach willing to reign him in might be causing some of Favre's troubles. He seems reminiscent of the Favre we saw in the awful late Sherman years.

He's still got the ability to thread the needle with a rifle shot between three defenders, and he still has the ability to throw it right into a defender's arms - who is often so surprised that he drops the ball....none of those two things has changed.

Gunakor
10-28-2008, 05:03 PM

Agree.

He has no mobility.

It's not BS. Let me go through them one at a time.

1) "He is holding the ball too long, not willing to throw it away."

He didn't usually hold the ball too long as a Packer, but he's always been reluctant to throw it away. It's the competitor in him always thinking there is a play to be made, so I never held that against him. But the drawback to that is that he'd rather fire a fastball into traffic and hope for the best than to throw the ball away and waste a down. That's contributed to more than a few INT's over the years, and several this year as a Jet.

2) "He has no mobility."

Are you really gonna call him a liar? Cmon now, even the most loyal of Favre fans have to realize that Favre is as immobile as they come. He's clever and experienced enough to make that one step at just the right time to make a guy miss, but he's not about to run around a whole lot to create time. Again, if it's not there he'll try to force it and that has very negative consequences.

3) "He still throws a few up for grabs every game."

The moonballs have been part of Favre's repertoire forever. Ask Darren Sharper, he was on the intercepting end of quite a few of them over the years. We saw it twice last Sunday when Favre almost cost the Jets a victory over one of the lowliest teams in the league. There were 2 moonballs and one forced throw into traffic that resulted in 3 INT's and 14 Kansas City points. That's on Favre, and it's nothing new.

Chevelle is right. The mistakes he's making this year are the same ones he's made over and over again throughout his career. I know you don't agree with me, but history DOES agree with me so I don't really care. And to add onto Chevelle's point, these mistakes would plague our team even worse than the Jets because the Jets have been playing better defense than the Packers (save the brilliant performance against the Colts). We could be staring at 2-5 right now if our QB turned the ball over as many times as Favre has. And what would you say then? "Oh, it's just Favre trying to make a play. I know we are 2-5, but Favre's 11 interceptions have nothing to do with that." Sure they wouldn't...

Anyway, the OT was whether we think Favre would have won a fair and open conpetition should one have taken place between he and Rodgers back in August. Look at the two of them and the way they are playing right now - not last year or 10 years ago or the culmination of 16 seasons, but TODAY - and I think it's pretty obvious who is playing better football. I give every bit of credit to Favre for resurrecting this franchise, but Aaron is the better quarterback THIS season and I'm thrilled that he was given his opportunity. Given the objectiveness of our coaches - i.e. not giving in to the energy or caving under the influence of our players or fans - I'm absolutely certain after watching both play this season that Rodgers would have won that opportunity fair and square if he had to.

DannoMac21
10-29-2008, 12:14 AM

Agree.

He has no mobility.

Maybe you need to get your head out of your ass and realize that Favre isn't anything close to what he was.

MOBB DEEP
10-29-2008, 10:07 AM

who cares about truth on an opinion-ladden forum

i prefer the jokes and sarcasm over the narcissistic pontificating

ENTERTAINMENT...

aaron is DEF playn better than #4 this year. not hard to admit...i still appreciate watchn favre more (like i dig watchn denzel and morgan more than pitt or clooney). pretty simple...

MOBB DEEP
10-29-2008, 10:08 AM
[quote="Fritz"]Ithink Favre not only being in a foreign system, but more importantly not having the rigourous offseason workouts and a coach willing to reign him in might be causing some of Favre's troubles. He seems reminiscent of the Favre we saw in the awful late Sherman years.

He's still got the ability to thread the needle with a rifle shot between three defenders, and he still has the ability to throw it right into a defender's arms - who is often so surprised that he drops the ball....none of those two things has changed.[/quote

QFT

MJZiggy
10-29-2008, 08:46 PM
[quote=Fritz]Ithink Favre not only being in a foreign system, but more importantly not having the rigourous offseason workouts and a coach willing to reign him in might be causing some of Favre's troubles. He seems reminiscent of the Favre we saw in the awful late Sherman years.

He's still got the ability to thread the needle with a rifle shot between three defenders, and he still has the ability to throw it right into a defender's arms - who is often so surprised that he drops the ball....none of those two things has changed.[/quote

QFT

Well almost anyway...