PDA

View Full Version : "Packers say one thing, do another as Favre mess linger

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 11:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3508012&sportCat=nfl

So unless he "misremembers" -- to use Roger Clemens' word -- Brett Favre once again confirmed all you need to know about the integrity, or lack of it, of Green Bay Packers management.

First of all, it did the very thing it accuses Favre of doing: It waffled. Actually, general manager Ted Thompson waffled.

A little more than two weeks ago, Thompson said Favre, who mis-retired, could return to the team "as an active member of the Green Bay Packers." Active, as in, on the active roster. But not as the starter.

But the truth is Thompson doesn't want Favre within a Sturgeon Bay of the Packers' training camp. He never did. All that talk of Favre's returning in "some role" was clumsy Thompson propaganda.

The latest proof is in Favre's Sunday interview with ESPN's Chris Mortensen. According to Favre, the quarterback asked Thompson if he'd be "welcome" if he reported to the opening of training camp. A reasonable question.

Thompson, said Favre, "was just about shattered. He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days." Thompson knows what would have happened if Favre had been issued a helmet and a jersey today. Everybody knows. Favre would have been the best quarterback on the field.

Forget the three-ring media circus if Favre had reported. That's the least of Thompson's problems. His backpedaling and then reversal on Favre's supposed "role" with the team is the admission that counts.

Thompson isn't interested in putting the best product on the field. If he were, he'd let Aaron Rodgers, his handpicked successor to Favre, compete for the starting position. Sure, there'd be off-the-charts media and fan scrutiny. Isn't that part of it?

If Rodgers can't handle the pressure of Favre's presence and open competition for the job in July, what makes you think he can handle the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field in December? But Thompson doesn't want the best man to win. He wants his man to win. So no quarterback bake-off.

At the very least, Thompson should have told Favre: "You want to come back? Fine. I think you're making a mistake, but it's your life and your legacy. If you do come back, it's going to be an open competition for the starting job. I give you my word we'll judge it as objectively as possible. But if Rodgers wins, you're the backup and you can't bitch about it. Deal?"

And at the very most, Thompson could have said: "You gave us 16 great years. Here's your release."

Instead, the Packers are trying to trade their best quarterback. I repeat, their best quarterback. Of course, Favre isn't good enough for them, but he is good enough that the Packers reportedly want a first-round draft pick in exchange for his rights.

This is what I mean by Packers flip-flopping. In March, Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy and assistant coach Tom Clements were telling Favre he could "still play at a high level." But now the Packers don't think he's worth the trouble? Yet they think the negotiations for his rights should start at a first-rounder?

If Thompson can get a second-round pick for Favre, take it. Maybe you add some sort of escalation clause -- if his new team advances to the conference championship game, the second-round pick becomes a first-rounder. I'm just spitballing here. The bottom line is this: If you believe in Rodgers as much as you say you do, you trade Favre. And it shouldn't matter where. If NFC North rival Minnesota offers the most comprehensive package, you trade him to Minnesota. If Chicago comes up with the best deal, then off to the Bears he goes. That way you get Favre's name off the roster and draft picks in your pocket. It's a win-win.

Favre didn't do himself or his image any favors by changing his mind on retirement. And he's taken considerable heat for it -- some of it deserved, some of it bordering on the hysterical.

But nobody has bungled this situation more than Thompson. From the disingenuous "We Care About Favre's Legacy" stance, to the convenient and false statement that Favre could return to the team, Thompson has written the textbook on mismanagement.

Thompson keeps insisting the Packers have moved forward, as if the mere act of saying the words makes it true. But until he does one of three things -- trade Favre, release Favre or welcome Favre back -- the Packers aren't moving anywhere, especially forward.

Time to make a decision, Ted. Now it's your legacy at stake.

Fritz
07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Well, yeah, but if other reports are true TT would very much like to trade Favre, but when asked to work with the team on generating a list of twelve or so "acceptable" teams, Favre has refused to do so. He has also refused to speak to officials from Tampa and the Jets.

You can't trade a guy to a team unless that team knows the guy will play for them.

imscott72
07-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Blah blah blah..We don't know what Ted really told Brett. We all know Brett has also said some things and then later contradicted himself by saying something totally different. This is the problem with this whole situation. We don't know what is really being said back and forth. Unfortunately we have to rely on the media to inform us and we know how they are. :roll:

boiga
07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Sorry, pacopete, but that's a crap article. He's taking Favre's word, which hasn't been all that credible the last month or so, and assuming it is gold.

He's acting like he was on the other end of that phone call despite not waiting to here Ted's version of the story. So far, EVERYONE in the Packers organization has said that they'd take Brett back, they just wouldn't offer him a chance to start.

It's brett's call right now whether he'd take that offer, no matter what that dipshit of a journalist wants to believe.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Favre is big 'in Canada'. Loved.

Every day ' of late ', even in the local sports news here in Montreal; and it looks good on ALL the ' that Man ' Favre is.

sharpe1027
07-28-2008, 11:57 AM
And it shouldn't matter where. If NFC North rival Minnesota offers the most comprehensive package, you trade him to Minnesota. If Chicago comes up with the best deal, then off to the Bears he goes. That way you get Favre's name off the roster and draft picks in your pocket. It's a win-win.

This is just stupid. It is not a win to improve a team within your division. The ONLY way this might make any sense is if the team in your division offers you such a lopsided deal that you benefit so much more than they do and so much more than a deal with any other team. The whole point of a trade is for both sides to benefit (i.e., both teams improve). You simply don't help improve a team in your division as it hurts you almost as much it it helps them.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 11:57 AM
while the Packers had their practice this morning... Favre was also practicing down in Hattiesburg, MS

and Boiga... everyone posts articles ripping Favre and now one backs him and you have a problem with it?...

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Blah blah blah..We don't know what Ted really told Brett. We all know Brett has also said some things and then later contradicted himself by saying something totally different. This is the problem with this whole situation. We don't know what is really being said back and forth. Unfortunately we have to rely on the media to inform us and we know how they are. :roll:

A decently educated 10 year old could keep up with this Favre vs Packer Management story and decide who's the wronged party.

His name. Brett Favre.

sharpe1027
07-28-2008, 12:01 PM

A decently educated 10 year old could keep up with this Favre vs Packer Management story and decide who's the wronged party.

His name. Joe Q. Fan.

Fixed. :wink:

boiga
07-28-2008, 12:05 PM
while the Packers had their practice this morning... Favre was also practicing down in Hattiesburg, MS

and Boiga... everyone posts articles ripping Favre and now one backs him and you have a problem with it?...Not at all, I didn't mean to rip you in the least, just Wocisijsdkgfghrur or whatever his name is. Feel free to back up your beliefs with any analyst you choose, more power to you.

I just think don't think very highly of that particular anal-yst at the moment. Just because I don't like the article doesn't mean I disagree with your choice/right to post it. Free Speech, right?

And while Favre has been practicing down south, the fact that one of the big reason he retired was to skip out on the M3's offseason program leads me to believe that he isn't working all that hard down there. Throwing balls to highschool kids doesn't quite make a pro level work out.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 12:20 PM
understandable and I think he's been working harder than we're getting let on to believe... I cant imagine if Favre wants to play so badly that he isn't busting his ass to get in the shape he usually plays at. McCarthy said he looked good as did Mariucci.. while he might not be taking snaps from a packer, nor throwing it to one, i just cant see him not coming in to camp ready to rock..

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, yeah, but if other reports are true TT would very much like to trade Favre, but when asked to work with the team on generating a list of twelve or so "acceptable" teams, Favre has refused to do so. He has also refused to speak to officials from Tampa and the Jets.

You can't trade a guy to a team unless that team knows the guy will play for them.

Favre is playing his 'ace in the hole' card best he can. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

Zool
07-28-2008, 12:30 PM
He's being an ace-hole alright.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 12:35 PM

Exactly.

NFL GMs are not stupid people. Its OBVIOUS that Favre wants to be a free agent, and feels entitled to it. That's what this soap opera is all about. Some speculate that FAvre will become such a pain for the team that they will release him. Why would a GM want to waste his time getting involved in this drama?

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 12:39 PM
If I was Favre...

If the team said I cannot comeback and compete for the job I had for 16 straight seasons without missing a game, I would be the biggest pain in the ass as well. I wouldn't let them trade me to anyone, including the Vikings. I would make it unbearable on the Packers until they did release me and then I would sign with the Vikings no matter how late I got there.

If I was TT...

I would realize that my life as a GM rides on this decision whether I like Brett or not. Or whether I promised Aaron anything. I would make the pressure go back on Favre and tell him alright, you're in... come beat out Aaron if you want the job so bad. The only way for TT to save some face for himself is to let that happen because if a trade happens, or release, or even if Favre stays home and Arod does stink it up.. TT will look like the biggest jackass of a GM of all time.. and if you think some packer fans are being unreasonable now over the situation... it will only get worse

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 12:39 PM
He's being an ace-hole alright.

Nicw Zool. A real example? NO! :idea:

boiga
07-28-2008, 12:40 PM
while he might not be taking snaps from a packer, nor throwing it to one, i just cant see him not coming in to camp ready to rock.. I agree that he'd come to camp at full strength, but my worry is that his conditioning would start to fail him later in the year. Favre looked run down a couple of times last year, but give him a week and he was back to force.

-He was lousy in the Redskins game before the bye, but kicked ass in Denver after a week off.

-In the chicago game, Brett was cold and worn out, but he tried harder to make up for it against the lions. Two week off before the playoffs and he was stellar against the Seahawks.

-But once again, it seemed he didn't have any umph left in the tank for the NFC title.

My point is that the guy is great and all, but it would be hard to argue that age isn't becoming a factor. This could be the year of the big drop off, or not. But that risk might be the reason that the Packer management is pushing so hard for Rodgers.

imscott72
07-28-2008, 12:45 PM

His name. Brett Favre.

And what do you base this accusation on Woody? What Favre has said to the media? Were you on the other end of the phone call from Thompson? A decently educated 10 yr old knows the media more often than not if full of shit too. Think about it.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 12:46 PM
If I was Favre...

If the team said I cannot comeback and compete for the job I had for 16 straight seasons without missing a game, I would be the biggest pain in the ass as well. I wouldn't let them trade me to anyone, including the Vikings. I would make it unbearable on the Packers until they did release me and then I would sign with the Vikings no matter how late I got there.

IF you were Favre? It sounds like you ARE Favre. :lol:

Just a comment about that "compete for the job" phrase: What does this really mean? To make a competition work, both parties in the competition have to be prepared to lose, otherwise it will lead to a destructive situation.

Lets say the coaches allow Favre to compete with Rodgers. The competition does not have to be by objective standards, the coaches can make their own subjective judgement. FAvre and his fans would NEVER accept a judgement against them, Favre would be back with Gretta screaming bloody murder.

"Compete for the job" sounds fair and reasonable. But if you scratch it a bit, you see it is a recipe for more trouble.

imscott72
07-28-2008, 12:46 PM

Favre is playing his 'ace in the hole' card best he can. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

He sure is.. :roll:

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Wojciechowski's always been a Favre sympathizer if I remember correctly. Oh well, another talking ahead disapproves of TT. What's new?

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 12:50 PM
If I was Favre...

IF you were Favre? It sounds like you ARE Favre. :lol:

Just a comment about that "compete for the job" phrase: What does this really mean? To make a competition work, both parties in the competition have to be prepared to lose, otherwise it will lead to a destructive situation.

Lets say the coaches allow Favre to compete with Rodgers. The competition does not have to be by objective standards, the coaches can make their own subjective judgement. FAvre and his fans would NEVER accept a judgement against them, Favre would be back with Gretta screaming bloody murder.

"Compete for the job" sounds fair and reasonable. But if you scratch it a bit, you see it is a recipe for more trouble.

Boy I wish I was Favre right now.. he's being kinda a pussy in the whole situation.. I wouldn't be giving the Packers time, I'd be in green bay and I'd make them stop me from being on that field.

I agree, the competition would be hard to do... but isn't it about the only thing to do? I agree that you cant just say, brett... you are the starter. But I think by mid pre season he would be if given the same amount of snaps as Arod.. and then if Favre stunk it up... he'd have no one else to blame, but himself...

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Boy I wish I was Favre right now.. he's being kinda a pussy in the whole situation.. I wouldn't be giving the Packers time, I'd be in green bay and I'd make them stop me from being on that field.

I agree with you 100%. He is a damn fool to stay out of camp. TT outfoxed him. The opening days of camp are critical psychologically.

boiga
07-28-2008, 12:55 PM

I agree, the competition would be hard to do... but isn't it about the only thing to do? I agree that you cant just say, brett... you are the starter. But I think by mid pre season he would be if given the same amount of snaps as Arod.. and then if Favre stunk it up... he'd have no one else to blame, but himself... I'd absolutely agree with you if I thought that Favre could accept that kind of arrangement without making a stink. But do you remember how miserable he was in the second half of the Dallas game last year? He kept pacing the sidelines, looking like he was second guessing every Rodgers move and wishing he was out on the field. Then he left the field early because he couldn't stand to watch.

He'd be like that EVERY SINGLE GAME if he had to share time with Rodgers. I don't think he's capable of sitting the bench any more, hence his emphasis on how much he "wants to play." If he doesn't get the playing time, I don't think he'd show.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Boiga... thats tough to make an opinion on how a guy looks.. I dunno about that

boiga
07-28-2008, 01:27 PM
There's room for reasonable people to disagree. Just giving my interpretation.