PDA

View Full Version : Harrell out for Training Camp, Possibly Season.

boiga
07-28-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2008/07/harrell-suffered-setback.html

Harrell suffered setback
Justin Harrell isn't jumping to conclusions, but he acknowledged it's possible he'll need more surgery after suffering a setback with his injured back.

Harrell had surgery in April after injuring a disc in his back lifting weights. He was back in the weight room by early June but had a setback last week.

"The best-case scenario, I could be out there in a couple weeks," Harrell said. "Worse-case scenario, who knows?"

That worst-case scenario is more surgery, which might land him on season-ending injured reserve. Either way, it seems Harrell will miss at least one preseason game, and possibly more.

"I trust my doctors, and I'm praying," he said. "That's pretty much all I can do."

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

posted by PackersNews.com at 12:06 PM | 0 Comments

Talk about just what we didn't need.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 12:26 PM
god, what a washout Harrell has turned out to be.

I'm not saying it was predictable, but he is a minor disaster.

Lurker64
When it rains, it pours.

Still, I think the title here is misleading.

packers11
Maybe we should have used a draft pick on a DT, or kept Corey Williams. :?

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 12:27 PM
i knew I was upset for a reason when I heard that pick... I knew we were in trouble when DENVER, yes horrible decision maker, Shanahan wanted Harrell... the writing was on the wall from day one

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 12:27 PM
As much crap as people give him, I feel bad for him.

boiga
07-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Still, I think the title here is misleading.I hope so. But if "best case scenario" is a couple of weeks, then I can't see him back in time for the preseason games.

And if he does need that surgery, he might not ever come back, right?

Harlan Huckleby

I want to get on record as opposing the Corey Williams trade, even if it is too late. I just don't get that one.

BallHawk
I agree the thread title is a bit misleading, but with Harrell you never know.

I'm confident he has the talent, but c'mon, he just needs to stay healthy. We don't need Will Blackmon II.

Lurker64
07-28-2008, 12:29 PM
As much crap as people give him, I feel bad for him.

Yeah, keep in mind that this is a "worst case scenario". At least in college the guy definitely played through pain, my guess is that he at least tries to play in preseason. We might need to pick up another body or two at DT as weird as it sounds, though. Here's hoping Muir shows something...

Pacopete4
cut him... sick of him already

MadtownPacker
Looks like that 19 ppg the D held opponents to last season aint gonna happen this year.

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 12:31 PM

Great idea. If only you were GM....

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah, keep in mind that this is a "worst case scenario". At least in college the guy definitely played through pain, .

ya, but the worst case scenario also sounds like the most likely scenario. A guy who needs back surgery is not going to "play through the pain."

Lurker64
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM

The Favre thread is both above and below this one on the list, I think you missed.

Pacopete4
every time I think of how bad our D could possibly get this year (no pass rush except Kampy, no DT's worth a damn, older CB's who cant get it done against good WR's, our saftey play is 50/50 good vs bad, Hawk not being the elite player we thought he was, barnett racking up tackles by jumping on the pile, poppinga getting rich while still not being able to cover a TE) I think of how bad it really could get with basically a rookie QB... put that together with a tough schedule.... could be a long season, i hope not, but damn.. nothing wants to go right, right now

Guiness

I saw an article about the Browns new DL that was humurous. Talked about the 700lbs of new lineman they had, with Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams, and how that was going to make such a big difference to their 4.5 average yds allowed per run. I don't know what they think they've got in Williams, but run stopper isn't it!

This certainly is bad news about Harrel though.

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 12:34 PM

The Favre thread is both above and below this one on the list, I think you missed.

:tup:

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 12:35 PM
When it rains, it pours.

No! and too bad ... sad, for this young prospect, at an important position of concern and now even moreso regarding our success in 2008.

and. . . . the LAWS

Karma. Just 'the beginning'. Sadly.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 12:37 PM
When it rains, it pours.

No! and too bad ... sad, for this young prospect, at an important position of concern and now even moreso regarding our success in 2008.

and. . . . the LAWS

PACKERS FOREVER!

How the hell is this guy still allowed to post here? I havent seen anything actually about football form him, and his posts are barely english.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 12:41 PM

cute. just.

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 12:44 PM
every time I think of how bad our D could possibly get this year (no pass rush except Kampy, no DT's worth a damn, older CB's who cant get it done against good WR's, our saftey play is 50/50 good vs bad, Hawk not being the elite player we thought he was, barnett racking up tackles by jumping on the pile, poppinga getting rich while still not being able to cover a TE) I think of how bad it really could get with basically a rookie QB... put that together with a tough schedule.... could be a long season, i hope not, but damn.. nothing wants to go right, right now

KGB can still rush the passer if he is used sparingly. Pickett is an above average DT, as is Jolly. Cole and Muir could also show some promise. Harris and Chuck still get it done. Burress had the game of his life against Harris and it seems to be all he is remembered for even though he shut down top receivers consistently over the course of the year. Our safety play is a concern. Hopefully, Bigby progresses in pass coverage and either Collins grows some instincts or Rouse steps up and takes his job. Hawk should progress this season and Barnett will be Barnett. Barnett is an all-pro LB, he's proved that more and more as time goes on. Poppinga is an above average starter and with the addition of Chillar I feel good about our LBs.

The season will largely hinge on Rodgers, but it's not as bad as many think.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 12:47 PM
ya, i went overblown on the D.. they did play well last year but they are more of a D that bends and doesnt break. They are going to give up points.. i think we know that.. and it seems at times, but always times where we play a not so good offense, that they make a big game changing play. I just dont see them as a top tier D that scares a good offense from doing what they want to them. And if ball control is not good this year (time of possession) we could be in for a long year.. its key with Rodgers that we are able to chunk out yards on the ground..

PackerBlues
07-28-2008, 12:51 PM
No wonder Thompson wants to start Rogers so badly.

You can hardly give him any credit for drafting Hawk.

I guess having only one starter from the first round of the draft for his first 4 years drafting for the packers was to embarrassing. :oops:

I expect we will see a lot of embarrassment from Thompson before he is done in GB.

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 12:51 PM
No wonder Thompson wants to start Rogers so badly.

You can hardly give him any credit for drafting Hawk.

I guess having only one starter from the first round of the draft for his first 4 years drafting for the packers was to embarrassing. :oops:

I expect we will see a lot of embarrassment from Thompson before he is done in GB.

Lest we forget Wolfs blunders in the first round.

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
ya, i went overblown on the D.. they did play well last year but they are more of a D that bends and doesnt break. They are going to give up points.. i think we know that.. and it seems at times, but always times where we play a not so good offense, that they make a big game changing play. I just dont see them as a top tier D that scares a good offense from doing what they want to them. And if ball control is not good this year (time of possession) we could be in for a long year.. its key with Rodgers that we are able to chunk out yards on the ground..

Agreed on what we need to do with Rodgers. We're going to have to get used longer, more drawn-out drives. No more 80 yard bombs to win games. The WRs are going to have to make plays after the catch. Lucky for us, our WRs are one of the best in the league at YAC.

And, yes, our D doesn't strike fear in the heart of the opponent like other defenses do. I've accepted that ever since Jim Bates, even more so with Sanders as the DC now. To be a "bend but not break" defense you just have to CONSISTENTLY bend and put up enough points to win. It's going to be a challenge, but I think we'll pull through in the end.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Terrell Buckley
Wayne Simmons
George Teague
Aaron Taylor
Craig Newson
John Michels
Ross Verba
Vonnie Holliday
Antuan Edwards
Bubba Franks
Jamal Reynolds

only guy he got to select in the top 10 was Buckley at 5 in 1992

Lurker64
07-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't understand why people are so obsessed about the first round, it's the most overhyped thing in the history of football. First round picks are simply the ones that NFL talent evaluators are more confident of their upside or certain of their production, but championship teams aren't built in the first round. Hell, superstars aren't exclusive to the first round.

Even if we just look at the Packers team of last year: Favre was a second round pick, Ryan Grant was undrafted, Clifton was a second round pick, Tauscher was a seventh round pick, Al Harris was a sixth round pick, Donald Driver was a seventh round pick, Corey Williams was a sixth round pick, etc.

With the notable exception of Barnett, virtually all of our best players from the pre-Thompson era were not first round picks for any team. Most of the first rounders that made the field last year were guys that Thompson brought in (Pickett, Woodson, Hawk), anyway.

If Thompson blows every first round pick he ever makes but drafts well in the next sixth rounds, I'd be happy with that. Worry about the product on the field, not where the guys who step up are drafted. Last year the product on the field was fine, if not excellent. This year, it's too early to tell.

imscott72
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
When it rains, it pours.

and. . . . the LAWS

PACKERS FOREVER!

How the hell is this guy still allowed to post here? I havent seen anything actually about football form him, and his posts are barely english.

Typical Woody stuff. Just have to skip past it. As far as the D line situation TT really screwed the pooch with the Corey Williams trade then passing on Jason Taylor. What could of been a position of serious strength has now turned into a serious problem.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't understand why people are so obsessed about the first round, it's the most overhyped thing in the history of football. First round picks are simply the ones that NFL talent evaluators are more confident of their upside or certain of their production, but championship teams aren't built in the first round. Hell, superstars aren't exclusive to the first round.

Even if we just look at the Packers team of last year: Favre was a second round pick, Ryan Grant was undrafted, Clifton was a second round pick, Tauscher was a seventh round pick, Al Harris was a sixth round pick, Donald Driver was a seventh round pick, Corey Williams was a sixth round pick, etc.

With the notable exception of Barnett, virtually all of our best players from the pre-Thompson era were not first round picks for any team. Most of the first rounders that made the field last year were guys that Thompson brought in (Pickett, Woodson, Hawk), anyway.

If Thompson blows every first round pick he ever makes but drafts well in the next sixth rounds, I'd be happy with that.

Your in fine comedic style today Lurker64. :D

A special breckfast cereal or one of those new Energy drinks? :D

Headline:

" PACKERS survive first round draft pick 'busts' better than any NFL team. All future first round picks are for sale. "

Packer GM Ted Thompson approves that message.

We're going to have a higher first pick next April than this year Lurker64.

We don't need that. [hint]

Packers Forever!

bobblehead
07-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I didn't read every post, forgive me if someone said this. It seems very likely to me at this point that we could benefit from one of the ends like montgomery/hunter/thompson ect to step up or even handle the spot as a rotation so we can move jenkins back inside if necessary.

Packnut
07-28-2008, 01:17 PM

If Thompson blows every first round pick he ever makes but drafts well in the next sixth rounds, I'd be happy with that. Worry about the product on the field, not where the guys who step up are drafted. Last year the product on the field was fine, if not excellent. This year, it's too early to tell.

Blowing a 1st rd pick in the top 20 is a huge negative no matter how you sugar coat it. Thompson had the chance to get one of the top 16 players in the country and he blew it plain and simple. Sooner or later the bs excuses have to stop. Harrell's injury history through h.s. and college SHOULD have thrown up a huge red flag.

Harrell is and will continue to be a pretty big dent in the so called Thompson legacy. Sure would have been nice to have that saftey the Jags got that we should have taken. What was his name now? You know, the guy who made the all rookie team. Sure would have turned a position of questions into a position of strength. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Harrell will be no more a dent in Ted legacy then Buckley was in Ron Wolf's legacy.

Freak Out
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Trade Favre for a starting DT and a 2nd.

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Trade Favre for a starting DT and a 2nd.

I've heard some good things on this Corey Williams guy out of Cleveland.

Anybody know anything about him?

The Leaper
07-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Terrell Buckley
Wayne Simmons
George Teague
Aaron Taylor
Craig Newson
John Michels
Ross Verba
Vonnie Holliday
Antuan Edwards
Bubba Franks
Jamal Reynolds

Wolf didn't do horrible in the first...he didn't do great either. His busts were Michels, Edwards and Reynolds...and as was mentioned, many of Wolf's picks were at the end of the first round.

texaspackerbacker
07-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Good point, Chevelle.

While the Harrell situation does look kinda bad, nothing is sure at this point. We will be OK either way, though.

The doom and gloom crap above about the badness of the defense is sheer idiocy. Our corners are still among the best--with better depth this year too. Our safeties should be solid. Barnett has become an elite player, and Hawk is ahead of Barnett at the same stage of his career. Kampman should be at least as good as last year. I think if Harrell can't play, Jenkins moves back to tackle. It looks like Jolly will be playing as well as Cole, so that's at least four solid DTs in the rotation (including Pickett. You could say DT was addressed in the draft by getting Thompson--which allows Jenkins to move back inside.

Bottom line is everything will be OK.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 02:08 PM
When it rains, it pours.

and. . . . the LAWS

PACKERS FOREVER!

Typical Woody stuff. Just have to skip past it. As far as the D line situation TT really screwed the pooch with the Corey Williams trade then passing on Jason Taylor. What could of been a position of serious strength has now turned into a serious problem.

imscott72 Yes. How come we saw this coming when we had Corey Williams?

and this imscott72:

What is your liscence or proof of claim as ' a real football fan' and knowledgable 'of all things' Packers and NFL ? I'm seriously interested anxious for your informed response imscott72.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Terrell Buckley
Wayne Simmons
George Teague
Aaron Taylor
Craig Newson
John Michels
Ross Verba
Vonnie Holliday
Antuan Edwards
Bubba Franks
Jamal Reynolds

And Jamal Reynolds. Wolf had two top 10 picks and blew both of them. Wolf sucked! Harrell wasn't even a top 10 pick.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 02:45 PM
When it rains, it pours.

and. . . . the LAWS

PACKERS FOREVER!

That post is certainly and all about the Packers Chevelle2.

Secondly. I might suggest you take a good look at you man. Any fascist or at least predudicial tendencies slipping out of you? Concern? Just concerns?

Arn't you the poster that wants to constantly remind us of Favre's last pass in the last Packer game? Yes doggy. We should tar and feather Favre and seal him in a barrel and run his ass over the Niagra Falls for that blunder that you hang all on him.

hey it's tough. I may not get over TT not bringing in Randy Moss. Wow doesn't that make me a bad Packer fan? I wanted a Super Bowl and Favre and Moss looked encouraging to me. I know we get that bad taste in OUR mouths. Rough. :D

But you know all about football? All about that pick Chevelle2? I know ! Just like most of us in here. You have a lot to learn. It's the areas of your weakness that gives me a heads up Re: you.

Ever make a mistake and hope you'll be forgiven Chevelle2? I sure have.

You act like the fella that got cut off by his wife for a couple days for behaving badly. Then turns it around. Rejects her and the kids. Let go of that damn pick please. It happened in our last game. It's gone buddy. History and has zero to do with tomorrow. REALITY THERAPY Chevelle2.

Make any sense to you Chevelle2? It should.

One more thing you Packer fan 'of the most' . What do you know that makes you a better / more dedicated Packer fan that I am? I can't wait for your response Chevelle2.

Finally. Since point of origin ie heritage background or the genes we are born of and with. That you and all others do our best to live with. What's
' you and that ' all about Chevelle2?

Out of real interest since we try to be civil or polite to one another at Packerrats. Isn't that all about respect and this is OUR Packer home.

Are you ' of French heritage' by any chance of my observation Chevelle2?
Looking forward to you enlightening moi.

PEACE OUT! :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

sharpe1027
07-28-2008, 02:51 PM

My thoughts exactly.

imscott72
07-28-2008, 04:05 PM
When it rains, it pours.

and. . . . the LAWS

PACKERS FOREVER!

imscott72 Yes. How come we saw this coming when we had Corey Williams?

and this imscott72:

What is your liscence or proof of claim as ' a real football fan' and knowledgable 'of all things' Packers and NFL ? I'm seriously interested anxious for your informed response imscott72.

I missed the part where I said I was an expert Woody. Feel free to dig it up for us. I give my opinions here just like everyone else. On the other hand you have a knack for calling people out just because they don't all agree with your assessments.