PDA

View Full Version : Driver loves Brett, but wants A-rod as QB

boiga
07-28-2008, 04:20 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/28/driver-on-the-favre-situation.aspx

Here's the relevant exchange from his locker room interview:

Q: In your mind you have a preference who you want as the quarterback...
A: Right.

Q: But you're not going to tell us who that is...
A: Right now it's Aaron Rodgers.

Q: What is Brett came back?
A: I still go with Aaron Rodgers because I don't know what Brett's going to do. No one knows if he's coming back. Once we figure that out then we'll be able to tell you what you want.

I love Driver and rather wish we'd all take his mindset. Until Brett commits to being a packer full time again, Rodgers deserves our support.

BallHawk
07-28-2008, 04:25 PM
So who was that saying that the vets like Driver would support Favre 100%?

Me thinks the vets aren't as pro-Favre as one would think.

Jimx29
07-28-2008, 04:29 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/28/driver-on-the-favre-situation.aspx

A: I still go with Aaron Rodgers because I don't know what Brett's going to do. No one knows if he's coming back. Once we figure that out then we'll be able to tell you what you want.

I love Driver and rather wish we'd all take his mindset. Until Brett commits to being a packer full time again, Rodgers deserves our support.I've read and re-read that post a couple times and I cannot seem to see where DD says he "wants" AR as QB :?:

LL2
07-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Theres an article by Jay Glazer over on FOX SPORTS and in it it says the following..

"But how in the world does one of the most beloved sports figures of all time, a man who epitomized toughness and grit turn so soap opera-ish so fast? His PR tactics have gained him little if any sympathy, even from his peers. In my travels through camp so far, not one coach I've talked to agrees with his stance and the players have been split 50 percent somewhat sadly against Favre, 25 percent adamantly for Favre and 25 percent absolutely blasting him for the PR route he's taken."

It seems some support Favre, but I do not think to many do. From this paragraph it looks like most coaches support the Pack, while slightly more than 50% of the players do not support Favre. As Glazer puts it, the PR gamble by Favre has not done Favre any good.

boiga
07-28-2008, 04:33 PM
I've read and re-read that post a couple times and I cannot seem to see where DD says he "wants" AR as QB :?:He get's asked who his preference is at quarterback. He answers Aaron Rodgers, even if Brett does come back.

What's so complicated?

Zool
07-28-2008, 04:36 PM
I actually think the only real info out of this article came from this:

Q: Are you hoping he comes back?
A: Look, I love him to death. If he walks in here and starts playing tomorrow, that'd be great. If he doesn't, then we move on. We all have to move on someday. Someday I have to retire and I will come back in here and say, 'Hey, I want to play again.' But then after that, when I retire, I'm retired. That's my opinion. But most people will want to come back. I may want to come back. I may get the itch but I have to move on.

Sure seems like he's telling Favre to stay retired...itch or no itch.

Partial
07-28-2008, 04:36 PM

No, he says until he unretires and is a Packer he will go with Rodgers. Don't slander his words.

The Leaper
07-28-2008, 04:39 PM

Really?

"Right now it is Aaron Rodgers."

Where in there do you see "I'm behind Aaron Rodgers 100%"?

Believe me...if the decision was Driver's, he'd want Favre back along with Rodgers. Receivers will never force a good QB out the door, because you never know when you might need a spare one to throw you passes.

However, he also supports the organization and its decisions as well...and takes the high road in showing support for Rodgers right now.

The Leaper
07-28-2008, 04:41 PM

I think the point is that Green Bay has made it clear that his career in Green Bay is over...so staying retired probably is Favre's best option at this point.

boiga
07-28-2008, 04:43 PM
The Leaper might be right. In his video at packers.com, Greg Jennings says that McCarthy told the team that (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Aaron's our guy. If Brett comes back, we'll deal with it, but for right now and for the future, Aaron's our guy."

Driver's the kind of player that would take the coaches lead on something like this. So, until McCarthy says otherwise, Driver will be supporting Rodgers.

sharpe1027
07-28-2008, 04:44 PM

A: Look, I love him to death. If he walks in here and starts playing tomorrow, that'd be great. If he doesn't, then we move on. We all have to move on someday. Someday I have to retire and I will come back in here and say, 'Hey, I want to play again.' But then after that, when I retire, I'm retired. That's my opinion. But most people will want to come back. I may want to come back. I may get the itch but I have to move on.

Yeah, he's seems to suggest that he would not unretire. I also took the bold part as suggesting that Favre should just show up (and stop all the BS) if he is going to do so.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Quote:

No dice. The title of this thread is a deception.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 04:51 PM

I think the point is that Green Bay has made it clear that his career in Green Bay is over...so staying retired probably is Favre's best option at this point.

I agree.

Freak Out
07-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Just more bullshit overload. This place is now worse than the romper room and it's not Favre's fault.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Quote:

this one right here tells me he wants Brett back IMO...

if he really wanted to move on, and really wanted Arod as his QB he flat out wouldn't keep it a secret, but it does make sense to keep his mouth shut til Favre's back on who he really wants cuz its Brett Favre.. I think Driver, like us, just wants the BS to end and he get his ass in camp and all parties, TT-MM-Favre-Bus-Deanna... EVERYONE shuts the faaaaawk up

gbpackfan
07-28-2008, 04:55 PM

ZOOL IS SO DEAD ON!

The highlighted portion should tell you EXACTLY what DD thinks of the Favre situation. Everyone, including the players, are ready to get this fiasco behind them. Favre retired. PERIOD. The Packers were FORCED by FAVRE to move on. Then he flip-flops all offseason and when he finally decides that he really does want to play, the Packers are suppose to drop everything. They used TWO draft picks on QBs and modified the offense for A-ROD. Favre should shut his mouth and stay on his 400 acre estate in Kiln.

Jimx29
07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I've read and re-read that post a couple times and I cannot seem to see where DD says he "wants" AR as QB :?:He get's asked who his preference is at quarterback. He answers Aaron Rodgers, even if Brett does come back.

What's so complicated?"right now it's a-rod" is not saying he wants arod for qb. It's only saying that arod currently is our qb

SkinBasket
07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Don't slander his words.

Don't what his whaty-what?

mission
07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Don't slander his words.

not the brighest bulb is he? :bang:

Partial
07-28-2008, 05:01 PM

ZOOL IS SO DEAD ON!

The highlighted portion should tell you EXACTLY what DD thinks of the Favre situation. Everyone, including the players, are ready to get this fiasco behind them. Favre retired. PERIOD. The Packers were FORCED by FAVRE to move on. Then he flip-flops all offseason and when he finally decides that he really does want to play, the Packers are suppose to drop everything. They used TWO draft picks on QBs and modified the offense for A-ROD. Favre should shut his mouth and stay on his 400 acre estate in Kiln.

So what? The 7th round pick is a practice squad prospect (packers kept 2 and 3 qbs at varying points of the year). MM said they did NOT alter the offense and Favre would be able to pick it up no problem.

Partial
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Don't slander his words.

This coming from the wannabe rapper or what have you. OK.

RashanGary
07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Don't slander his words.

The important thing is he understood what he said :)

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
does everyone else's audio cut out during the donald driver interview?

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 05:07 PM
"hey kid"

"and then we'd go back to playing football"

haha Driver on if he saw Brett walk back into the locker room

so funny

boiga
07-28-2008, 05:08 PM
does everyone else's audio cut out during the donald driver interview?yeah, it really sucked. They even cut off the important parts of the interview and switch over to another conversation with him.

Although, to those of you arguing that Driver isn't saying he "wants" Rodgers as quarterback, even though he states directly that's who "his preference" is, don't you think you're cutting the semantics a little too finely?

I didn't mean to use a misleading title, and I still don't really think I did.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 05:08 PM
on if he talked to Brett lately and if he would tell them what they talked about...

well its like a house, would you come in here and tell something your wife talked to you about in secret

mission
07-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Don't slander his words.

This coming from the wannabe rapper or what have you. OK.

uh...

i produce music for video games, movies and vocalists, which does include ... yup, people who rap. you might have heard of tony hawk pro skater 2 (dreamcast) and the italian job (movie)... scroll the credits.

just got a second place in miami (south beach, actually). ill be down there the second week of september if anyrats wants to show me some good spots to eat!

what do you do for a living, partial?

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Does anyone think if Brett comes back that since now he is second string, that he will ride a bike over to the practice field? aha

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Quote:

this one right here tells me he wants Brett back IMO...

if he really wanted to move on, and really wanted Arod as his QB he flat out wouldn't keep it a secret, but it does make sense to keep his mouth shut til Favre's back on who he really wants cuz its Brett Favre.

Makes sense to keep his mouth shut because he's friends with Brett and doesn't want to burn any bridges if he comes back. It's all just reading between the lines, and it's slanted to which side of the argument you are on.

Q: What if Brett came back?

Q: Is there any question in your mind that Brett couldn't step right back into the flow?
A: I don't know. The biggest thing with that is I haven't seen him so I don't know what's going on. I just talk to him on the phone, that's about it.

Q: If he comes back, is it possible the locker room could be divided?
A: Why would we divide ourselves? That doesn't make any sense. It's a team thing. There's no man. I think that's the one thing you guys are getting confused about. You feel that one man runs everything. No, not at all. We know that we have to play football. If you have one guy on the football field, can you play? No. Who is he going to through the ball to? Is he just going to stand back there? No, it doesn't work that way. It's just like receiving. You have to have somebody throw it to you. No, no one man. We stick together. That's one thing we have done over the years: stick together.

mission
07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Does anyone think if Brett comes back that since now he is second string, that he will ride a bike over to the practice field? aha

if so, im sure it'd be partial waiting there in the parking lot with woody, fighting and bickering back and forth on whose bike he was gonna ride and then who had rights to be able to carry his helmet.

with the loser, of course, walking behind, admiring the shape of brett's ass and obstructing the view of our womenrats.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Nice!

Q: What would he look like in a Minnesota Vikings uniform?
A: Pretty ugly. That's what I told Sharper and Ryan Longwell. They look ugly in that uniform. All of them do. Everytime somebody leaves I tell them they'll look ugly in their uniform. It's nothing new.

boiga
07-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Nice!

Q: What would he look like in a Minnesota Vikings uniform?
A: Pretty ugly. That's what I told Sharper and Ryan Longwell. They look ugly in that uniform. All of them do. Everytime somebody leaves I tell them they'll look ugly in their uniform. It's nothing new.Yeah, that's a great line. He even expands on that in his video hoping that he never leaves the Packers so no one will ever tell him he looks ugly in his uniform.

Driver's the man.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 05:30 PM
watch Al Harris's interview.. he could barely answer questions due to the Favre stuff and how he feels..

Jerry Tagge
07-28-2008, 05:34 PM

What's Driver supposed to say?

Reporter: If Brett comes back, who should start at QB?
Driver: Brett should start because TT's cabana boy Rodgers is a weak armed wuss who gets hurt getting out of bed.

I wouldn't expect Driver to say anything else.

boiga
07-28-2008, 05:37 PM
watch Al Harris's interview.. he could barely answer questions due to the Favre stuff and how he feels..Yeah, he seemed genuinely distraught over the prospect of playing against Favre. That guy always did wear his emotions on his sleeve. He'd have his worst game ever against Brett.

Still, he's following the Packer line set by M3.

NewsBruin
07-28-2008, 05:50 PM
From Driver's responses, it's clear to everyone that he wants Favre back, he enjoys left-hand turns more than rights, he has a half Mountain Dew/half Cherry Pepsi suicide in his passenger-side drinkholder, and Thurston Howell was his favorite castaway.

I don't see how anyone can argue with the facts I presented here.

RashanGary
07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
watch Al Harris's interview.. he could barely answer questions due to the Favre stuff and how he feels..Yeah, he seemed genuinely distraught over the prospect of playing against Favre. That guy always did wear his emotions on his sleeve. He'd have his worst game ever against Brett.

Still, he's following the Packer line set by M3.

Al Harris is a very genuine guy. He likes Brett Favre a lot. I'm sure he feels bad for what he's going through right now. Hell, I'm an Ahole and a part of me feels bad for Brett. I know he needs to grow up and become and adult but at the same time he's suffering from his own choices and it's tough to watch him flounder anyway.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Which quarterback gives the Packers the best chance to win a Super Bowl?

Driver knows all about Favre's track record.

"Does the track record really matter?" he said. "Well, what's wrong with Kurt Warner in Arizona? He's got a lot of experience. He won a Super Bowl, didn't he? Matt Leinart's the man, right?"

FritzDontBlitz
07-29-2008, 02:39 PM

I love Driver and rather wish we'd all take his mindset. Until Brett commits to being a packer full time again, Rodgers deserves our support.

Tell that to the offensive line. Especially Daryn Colledge.