PDA

View Full Version : Family Reunion Offers Unique Favre Situation Solution

oregonpackfan
07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I just got back at 1:00 a.m. this morning from a 5 day family reunion in Sheboygan. We had 43 family members there from six states.

Naturally, one of the main topics of conversation each day was the Packers/Brett Favre situation. Just like the PackerRats members, my family offered a wide range of solutions on how the Favre retirement/reinstatement/trade issue should be handled. Almost all the members had an opinion or recommendation which reflected the range of opinions on this forum.

My brother from Montana, however, offered a solution I have never heard before now. He recommends:

1. Favre issues a formal apology to the Packers teammates, management, and fans for this whole debacle.

2. Favre agrees to come back and compete for Rodgers for the #1 QB position. He should not be automatically awarded the #1 position simply because he was the starting QB the past 17 years. At the same time, he should not be prohibited from being the starting QB because TT and M3 have declared Rodgers to be the starter. Favre has to earn his starting positon and has to be given the genuine opportunity to win it back.

Here's the Big clause--

3. Favre agrees to play the entire regular season for free whether he is the starter or the backup. Favre will only be paid for whatever post-season games, including the Super Bowl, in which the Packers qualify to play.

Personlly, I thought clause #3 was very intruiging. The person who would most object, of course, would be Favre's agent. If Favre plays for free during the regular season, Buss Cook does not receive his agent's cut.

What do you think about my brother's proposal?

Gunakor
07-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Ryan Grant won't play football for $400k, what makes you think Favre would play for free?

I suggest Favre stay home and watch each regular season Packer game from his living room sofa for free. If he comes back he better be paid. To not pay him would be the ultimate in disrespect, far greater than telling him his spot atop the depth chart isn't guaranteed.

Besides, if we only paid him for postseason games he plays in, he wouldn't make a damn thing. Once the postseason begins, we have to put Favre on the bench anyway coz his 39 year old body doesn't do as well in the cold as it used to.

cpk1994
07-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I just got back at 1:00 a.m. this morning from a 5 day family reunion in Sheboygan. We had 43 family members there from six states.

Naturally, one of the main topics of conversation each day was the Packers/Brett Favre situation. Just like the PackerRats members, my family offered a wide range of solutions on how the Favre retirement/reinstatement/trade issue should be handled. Almost all the members had an opinion or recommendation which reflected the range of opinions on this forum.

My brother from Montana, however, offered a solution I have never heard before now. He recommends:

1. Favre issues a formal apology to the Packers teammates, management, and fans for this whole debacle.

2. Favre agrees to come back and compete for Rodgers for the #1 QB position. He should not be automatically awarded the #1 position simply because he was the starting QB the past 17 years. At the same time, he should not be prohibited from being the starting QB because TT and M3 have declared Rodgers to be the starter. Favre has to earn his starting positon and has to be given the genuine opportunity to win it back.

Here's the Big clause--

3. Favre agrees to play the entire regular season for free whether he is the starter or the backup. Favre will only be paid for whatever post-season games, including the Super Bowl, in which the Packers qualify to play.

Personlly, I thought clause #3 was very intruiging. The person who would most object, of course, would be Favre's agent. If Favre plays for free during the regular season, Buss Cook does not receive his agent's cut.

What do you think about my brother's proposal?THe only problem is if the PAckers tried to make Favre play for free, 31 other owners would be howling over salary cap violations.

Spaulding
07-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Why would the deciding factor be for him to forego his salary. I do agree with points one and two. He's #(&( up on his retirement waffling for two long and the year he finally decides to do it is the year after his MVP like season with the team poised for a realistic Super Bowl run.

That being said, if TT is completely honest on fielding the best team, what does allowing Brett to compete for the starting position hurt the team? What NFL player (re Rodgers) if fairly beaten in competition would have a valid gripe at being the backup?

The only way this burns is if the competition isn't fair or if one of them wins and then starts out poorly - the other will always be looming over the shoulder.

Either way, we have more depth in the QB position than possibly any other team.

boiga
07-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I'd support it, but a full apology from Favre would be a lot more crow than I think he's willing to stomach.

If he wants to be a Packer again, and maybe even start, it'd be a great answer. But everything we have seen shows us that he would never accept that with the caveat of only "maybe" starting.

Then again, I'm honestly not supportive of QB competitions in training camp. They always really boil down to one guy having the job to lose. Rodgers is that guy right now, and I wouldn't expect Brett to accept that.

SI just had an article on why QB competitions are a farce actually: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/07/28/qb.competitions/index.html

MTPackerfan
07-28-2008, 05:27 PM

Here's the Big clause--

What do you think about my brother's proposal?

I like it because it was from your brother in MONTANA. Sorry but Montana (the state) is not mentioned much around here so I have to revel in it when I can.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 11:30 PM
any hot chicks at that reunion, Oregon?

oregonpackfan
07-29-2008, 12:16 AM

I'm not answering that question, Harlan, until I am notified that you have been neutered! :)

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 12:20 AM

I'm not answering that question, Harlan, until I am notified that you have been neutered! :)

nah, I wasn't going to go poaching on your territory.

Merlin
07-29-2008, 02:11 AM
I personally would love any solution that put the 2007 MVP runner up in as our starting QB. Alas, per Rodgers entire career, word has spread that Thompson said that there will be NO competition for the starting QB spot. Must be nice to do absolutely nothing in your entire career and have everything handed to you without any job competition or having to prove you deserve the position what-so-ever.

Let me guess Ted, it's just good business and you like who you have here. Oh yeah, we also have the "personal feelings don't belong" comments from Thompson. Oh really Ted? What about your inflated EGO and your unwaivering stupidity to not even open up the competition for the STARTING QB SPOT. I am not sure there is anyone in the NFL who with the 2007 runner up MVP and someone who never started an NFL game in his career on the roster wouldn't at the very least like to see who the best QB is in Training Camp. I was patient with all of this but this has gotten pathetic. From draft to starter and not one single day of competition for Aaron Rodgers, and people think Thompson walks on water, just pathetic. Thompson so far in handling this entire mess has reaffirmed everything I believed about the guy.

If it's all about what is best for the Packers, then wouldn't that mean finding the best QB you can to run your team? Open up a competition with all 4 QB's and the winner takes all? I mean if it's all about fielding the best possible team, then this decision not to even have competition for the starting QB spot seems a little, no, A LOT different than the mantra Thompson has been preaching since he got here. To anyone with a pulse it sure seems that Thompson is doing the complete opposite of what is in the best interests of the Green Bay Packers so does that mean by default Thompson should step down or be fired because he is not doing what is in the best interests of the Packers?

Sorry about the rant here but this is unbelievable. I agreed with Thompson to a point because I believe Favre should have to compete for the job since he did retire. I now lean heavily towards Favre's view of the everything as Thompson is a two faced liar. First it was "Favre wasn't interested in competing" and now it's "there will be no competition". Thompson wants Favre to stay retired bottom line. MEH.....I have to stop reading about this whole thing because it just pisses me off and I can't make sense anymore! :x

sheepshead
07-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Pretty cleaver solution. I doubt the players union would sit silent for this one. But I like the compromising take on the whole thing.

cpk1994
07-29-2008, 08:08 AM
I personally would love any solution that put the 2007 MVP runner up in as our starting QB. Alas, per Rodgers entire career, word has spread that Thompson said that there will be NO competition for the starting QB spot. Must be nice to do absolutely nothing in your entire career and have everything handed to you without any job competition or having to prove you deserve the position what-so-ever.

Let me guess Ted, it's just good business and you like who you have here. Oh yeah, we also have the "personal feelings don't belong" comments from Thompson. Oh really Ted? What about your inflated EGO and your unwaivering stupidity to not even open up the competition for the STARTING QB SPOT. I am not sure there is anyone in the NFL who with the 2007 runner up MVP and someone who never started an NFL game in his career on the roster wouldn't at the very least like to see who the best QB is in Training Camp. I was patient with all of this but this has gotten pathetic. From draft to starter and not one single day of competition for Aaron Rodgers, and people think Thompson walks on water, just pathetic. Thompson so far in handling this entire mess has reaffirmed everything I believed about the guy.

If it's all about what is best for the Packers, then wouldn't that mean finding the best QB you can to run your team? Open up a competition with all 4 QB's and the winner takes all? I mean if it's all about fielding the best possible team, then this decision not to even have competition for the starting QB spot seems a little, no, A LOT different than the mantra Thompson has been preaching since he got here. To anyone with a pulse it sure seems that Thompson is doing the complete opposite of what is in the best interests of the Green Bay Packers so does that mean by default Thompson should step down or be fired because he is not doing what is in the best interests of the Packers?

Sorry about the rant here but this is unbelievable. I agreed with Thompson to a point because I believe Favre should have to compete for the job since he did retire. I now lean heavily towards Favre's view of the everything as Thompson is a two faced liar. First it was "Favre wasn't interested in competing" and now it's "there will be no competition". Thompson wants Favre to stay retired bottom line. MEH.....I have to stop reading about this whole thing because it just pisses me off and I can't make sense anymore! :xYou seemed to leavve out the part where Favre goes on national television and refuses tpo compete for the job. But that is your usual way, fitting the facts to support your anti-TT agenda. Maybe you should join Woody in the Asylum.

The Leaper
07-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Nice proposal...until you realize the Packers want no part of Favre competing for the job. They want Aaron Rodgers...regardless of whether or not Favre could prove himself as the better QB.

I think that is stupid, but it isn't my decision.

cpk1994
07-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Nice proposal...until you realize the Packers want no part of Favre competing for the job. They want Aaron Rodgers...regardless of whether or not Favre could prove himself as the better QB.

I think that is stupid, but it isn't my decision.Ands Favre has said on national TV that he refuses to compete, so its moot anyway.

KYPack
07-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Hope you had fun at the family reunion.

BF won't do any of the 3 proposals. Point 3 basically violates the CBA so it can't happen.

This would sound neat at a family picnic, but can't live in the light of day.

prsnfoto
07-29-2008, 09:40 AM

I think that is stupid, but it isn't my decision.Ands Favre has said on national TV that he refuses to compete, so its moot anyway.

He asked WHY? Which is a legit question apparently in our organization the job is handed to someone and that is that. He has since said he will report and compete even though we all know TT will not let that happen the Packers do not want Brett back that is the bottom line, TT has lied and waffled repeatedly nearly as much as Brett.