PDA

View Full Version : Fox : No Fan outcry for Favre at Training Camp

motife
07-28-2008, 09:09 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8389832/No-Favre-outcry-at-Packers-camp

Green Bay, Wis. - The sparkling weather conditions at Green Bay's first preseason practice Monday morning belied the storm brewing on the horizon.

Heck, Wisconsin will issue its first hurricane warning should Brett Favre track north from Mississippi later this week and report to training camp ... all in hopes of being released.

(HAD ENOUGH? Hard to believe, but NFL does not stand for the "National Favre League" — there are actually other things going on around football. Non-Favre NFL News:
Chad Johnson out with ankle injury
RB Jackson continues Rams holdout
Goodell decides not to punish Lynch
Latest NFL training camp chatter)

Favre's threat to emerge from retirement has added to the dark clouds that will surround the 2008 Packers even after his NFL future is ultimately decided. Unless the Packers stage an about-face and reinstate a future Hall of Fame quarterback as their starter ahead of the unproven Aaron Rodgers — something that general manager Ted Thompson reaffirmed Monday isn't in the offing — Green Bay's handling of this situation will continue to generate a flood of controversy.

"I understand why there are people out there that think, 'Holy smokes! You're crazy,' " Thompson acknowledged.

But if the roughly 1,500 Cheeseheads attending Monday's practice had objections to Thompson's methods, they certainly weren't being loudly voiced. Even with Favre's pedigree, this scene wasn't like Cleveland in 1993 when coach Bill Belichick's in-season release of hometown quarterback Bernie Kosar sparked widespread outrage and ultimately contributed to his firing.

No protesters stood in front of Lambeau Field waving signs reading, "Beep for Brett." There were no chants calling for Favre's return or Thompson's head. Only two "Bring Back Brett" T-shirts were spotted along the long line of fans watching a Packers post-practice tradition: Players riding bicycles from the practice field to team headquarters as children ran behind carrying their helmets.

Maybe this group of Packers faithful, like team management, has grown tired of Favre's perpetual waffling on the retirement issue. Maybe they believe Favre's return to the first-team offense would emasculate Rodgers, ruining a player that Packers brass believes can become a standout replacement. Or they fear Favre's dreadful performance in last season's NFC Championship game is a harbinger of things to come at age 38.

Regardless, Packers coach Mike McCarthy's credo of "moving forward" — which he used 10 times alone during a Saturday news conference — has gained traction with fans like Charlie and Mickie Wyatt. The two Green Bay-area residents attended Monday's practice with their three children, including one (six-year-old Billy) who still idolizes Favre.

"We were expecting people to be yelling, 'We want Favre!' " Charlie Wyatt said. "I would say 90 percent of the people here would love to see Brett in uniform again, but it's a business when it comes down to it. I think it's over and he's going to be moving on. Let's just get it done with."

Said Mickie Wyatt: "A lot of us, as much as we like Favre, support the Packers as a team ... It's going to be terrible to see him in a different jersey, but I'll cheer for him and be a Packers fan."

There were still more No. 4 jerseys in the stands than for any other Packers player. One was worn by Tammy Cooper, who drove 2 ½ hours from Jefferson, Wis. to attend Monday's practice. She hopes Favre returns to the Packers — "He's Brett. There's nobody else like him." — yet also understands the team's stance.

"If you quit your job," Cooper said, "somebody's got to fill it."

That somebody is Rodgers. Like most of his teammates Monday, Rodgers seemed nonplussed by the Favre furor. After a sharp practice performance, Rodgers answered wave after wave of Favre questions from the 90-plus journalists that converged upon the Packers locker room.

"The things I can't control, I'm not going to worry about," said Rodgers, who has spent the past three seasons as Favre's understudy. "That's easier said than done. But when you realize things happen for a reason and you truly believe that, you just don't question the things that happen — as crazy as they may be."

"Crazy" is Favre requesting reinstatement from his March retirement and reporting for training camp. Knowing the Packers are refusing to open the starting competition, such a move would be designed to generate enough internal chaos and outside controversy that Thompson decides to sever ties. But any return would come at a heavy price: The tarnishing of Favre's stellar Packers legacy and the loss of respect from teammates upset about their preseason being undermined by a player clearly not in the club's plans.

Thompson also remains steadfast that Favre won't be traded within the NFC North — sorry, Minnesota — and said an outright release "doesn't make good business sense."

"I've not heard many people say that's a good option, even people that would like to hang me in effigy outside," Thompson said.

For now, the other options aren't much better. The Packers have been unable to strike a trade with potential partners in Tampa Bay and the New York Jets. Favre's release also could be inevitable. Even if the Packers tried freezing a returning Favre by only using him for individual practice drills during the preseason, Green Bay would be forced to swallow his $12 million salary for 2008 if he remained on the opening-day roster. And there's scant chance that the Packers would pay that sum for a player of Favre's stature to ride the pine.

During two telephone conversations Saturday with Favre, Thompson said there was one thing the two could agree upon: "This is a unique and at times difficult situation."

And it may only get worse.

boiga
07-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Uh Oh Brett, if FOX is turning on you, you're screwed. Say good bye to the free pass from the Media.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't understand why youre against Favre? Or anyone that is a Packer fan for that matter... even if the guy never puts on a Packer uni ever again... how are you against him?... the guy WANTS TO PLAY FOOTBALL AGAIN... big deal, let him, WHY IS THAT SUCH A PROBLEM FOR EVERYONE?... if its not with the Packers, then ok, he understands that... but to sit there and rip on him for loving the game he's played all his life and wanting to play some more of it, is absolutely stupid..

arcilite
07-28-2008, 09:37 PM
not against him.

just against the way he is going through it.

ND72
07-28-2008, 09:39 PM
good writeup

RashanGary
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Everyone was very civil about Brett Favre. There was a kid (prolly 14 years old) sitting next to me. He said he understands that they want to move on but it's not fair that TT won't let him play and is forcing him into retirement.

I said "That's not the case. Favre is rejecting trades. He is choosing not to play elsewhere. He wants to be released so he can go to the Vikings and beat the Packers". I said the Packers have his rights and owe it to themselves and their fans to get something from a quality player.

The kid just looked at me like I was full of shit.

People really do not know the facts. Mortenson gets the scoop and relays the message in a way that Bus Cook wants so as to keep his connection. They are playing up this "Free Favre" thing adn people are buying it. I think TT needs to come right out in a very clear one line statement and say the Packers are working on a trade so the papers can print it clear and unmistakably.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 09:51 PM
maybe it was the fact that he was 14 and doesn't really understand yet?

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Everyone was very civil about Brett Favre. There was a kid (prolly 14 years old) sitting next to me. He said he understands that they want to move on but it's not fair that TT won't let him play and is forcing him into retirement.

I said "That's not the case. Favre is rejecting trades. He is choosing not to play elsewhere. He wants to be released so he can go to the Vikings and beat the Packers". I said the Packers have his rights and owe it to themselves and their fans to get something from a quality player.

People really do not know the facts. Mortenson gets the scoop and relays the message in a way that Bus Cook wants so as to keep his connection. They are playing up this "Free Favre" thing adn people are buying it. I think TT needs to come right out in a very clear one line statement and say the Packers are working on a trade so the papers can print it clear and unmistakably.

Yup...my friends status on FB was "hates TT" I want to explain things to her, but she just wont get it, that I know....

boiga
07-28-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't understand why youre against Favre? Or anyone that is a Packer fan for that matter... even if the guy never puts on a Packer uni ever again... how are you against him?... the guy WANTS TO PLAY FOOTBALL AGAIN... big deal, let him, WHY IS THAT SUCH A PROBLEM FOR EVERYONE?... if its not with the Packers, then ok, he understands that... but to sit there and rip on him for loving the game he's played all his life and wanting to play some more of it, is absolutely stupid.. I'm not ripping him. I'm just saying that this was the first general news article from Fox since the Greta interview that didn't glowingly talk about how much desperate Packer fans would be for the guy. Even their coverage of the 30 man rally was bent towards how those Packer fans want their Brett back and are going to run Ted out of town.

Now, the media is more skeptical of Favre's statements and are no longer assuming that Packer fans will universally support him. Favre had been getting a free pass from the media, but if articles like this continue, that will no longer be the case.

gex
07-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I think the reason nobody was creating a comotion is because Packer fans really are the most knowledgable and classiest fans in the league, and even though 85-90% want Favre back they would not disrupt the team when practice is on its way. ITS FOOTBALL TIME!!!
I still want Brett to come in and win his job back.

ps. dont be polluting young-uns mind with your craziness Justin Harrel, we are adults here and know how to take you, 14 yr olds don't. :D

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 10:09 PM
haha I have to agree... what would we do? start chants about Brett so the team decides to practice inside and it ruins the special thing we have with our team>>> I think not....

The Shadow
07-28-2008, 10:53 PM
This must be driving the Cult absolutely crazy!

The Shadow
07-28-2008, 10:55 PM
I think the reason nobody was creating a comotion is because Packer fans really are the most knowledgable and classiest fans in the league, and even though 85-90% want Favre back they would not disrupt the team when practice is on its way. ITS FOOTBALL TIME!!!

ps. dont be polluting young-uns mind with your craziness Justin Harrel, we are adults here and know how to take you, 14 yr olds don't. :D

Some folks could even easily spin the South winning the Civil War, I suppose......

Bretsky
07-28-2008, 10:59 PM

If there is a cult they are probably considering you to be pretty shallow for all your cult like references

motife
07-29-2008, 07:48 AM
I doubt Favre puts a link to this headline on his website like he has with the anti Ted Thompson stories :

"No Fan Outcry for Favre at Packers Training camp".

cpk1994
07-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Uh Oh Brett, if FOX is turning on you, you're screwed. Say good bye to the free pass from the Media.You forgot FavreSPN. HE will always get a free pass.

cpk1994
07-29-2008, 08:02 AM

Some folks could even easily spin the South winning the Civil War, I suppose......or France defeating Hitler.

cpk1994
07-29-2008, 08:04 AM
I don't understand why youre against Favre? Or anyone that is a Packer fan for that matter... even if the guy never puts on a Packer uni ever again... how are you against him?... the guy WANTS TO PLAY FOOTBALL AGAIN... big deal, let him, WHY IS THAT SUCH A PROBLEM FOR EVERYONE?... if its not with the Packers, then ok, he understands that... but to sit there and rip on him for loving the game he's played all his life and wanting to play some more of it, is absolutely stupid..Because he is acting like a selfish whiny, petulant prima donna prick. IS that clear enough for you?

The Leaper
07-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Because he is acting like a selfish whiny, petulant prima donna prick. IS that clear enough for you?

You better stop following pro football then...your team will ALWAYS have a least a few of these kind of guys. That's the nature of professional athletes these days.

The bottom line in the NFL is winning, not assembling the roster with the best attitude.

Dallas will be full of jackasses this year...but they likely will go further than Green Bay this year with Aaron Rodgers.

prsnfoto
07-29-2008, 08:55 AM

If there is a cult they are probably considering you to be pretty shallow for all your cult like references

Bingo. The article is misleading if they interviewed the fans most would say they want Brett back but understand that is not going to happen so what is the point of picketing. TT has made up his mind and we will all have to live with the outcome.

prsnfoto
07-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Uh Oh Brett, if FOX is turning on you, you're screwed. Say good bye to the free pass from the Media.You forgot FavreSPN. HE will always get a free pass.

This is bull since the beginning I have heard many diss Brett only in recent days have more anti-TT articles and commentary popped up mainly because of his waffling on the issue and the outright lie leaked about the cell phone.

cpk1994
07-29-2008, 09:01 AM

This is bull since the beginning I have heard many diss Brett only in recent days have more anti-TT articles and commentary popped up mainly because of his waffling on the issue and the outright lie leaked about the cell phone.YOu obviously ignore Mort, Gene W, everybody on FirstTake, should I continue?

EDIT: only one guy has had the guts to call out ESPN on it's ass kissing of Favre. Amazingly that guys name is Stephen A. Smith.

prsnfoto
07-29-2008, 09:06 AM

Stop hanging around little kids and your theory is flawed the cell phone was a lie put out by the Packers TT finally came clean yesterday there is no proof Brett even wants to go to the Vikings nor is there proof they want him. Everyone assumes why would'nt they over TJ but he has a vast amount more experience than our starting QB. Favre also called M1,Andy Reid,Matt Millen and as he put it 10 other teams representatives maybe you should tell the kid Brett Favre thinks he is so fucking good he can play for ten teams at the same time. That would be just as Factual.

AV David
07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
"Because he is acting like a selfish whiny, petulant prima donna prick. IS that clear enough for you?"

This is pretty much the bottom line for me. I honestly thought BF was different all these years, a salt of the earth , "aw shucks" tough guy who just liked playing football. His image seemed to fit the Wisconsin blue collar, "I'll have another beer" mentality. It is tough to finally learn it was all bullshit.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass Brett.

GBRulz
07-29-2008, 09:09 AM
"We were expecting people to be yelling, 'We want Favre!' " Charlie Wyatt said. "I would say 90 percent of the people here would love to see Brett in uniform again, but it's a business when it comes down to it. I think it's over and he's going to be moving on. Let's just get it done with."

I agree with that statement as I attended the morning practice yesterday. Most people would prefer to have Favre as our starting QB, but are pretty much sick of the drama and are ready to move on.

Personally, I heard the "Bring Favre back" chant from a few people mostly young kids. But like I said, the general census seems to agree with the above statement.

One thing noticeably different about camp this year was the attendance. Normally, there are people 3-4 deep all along the fence. This year, I walked right up and got a good spot to watch. On the very first day of practice, too....I couldn't believe that. You can bash Favre all you want, but you can't deny he brings people here....and in the past tons of people come to TC solely to see him.

hoosier
07-29-2008, 09:11 AM

Stop hanging around little kids and your theory is flawed the cell phone was a lie put out by the Packers TT finally came clean yesterday there is no proof Brett even wants to go to the Vikings nor is there proof they want him. Everyone assumes why would'nt they over TJ but he has a vast amount more experience than our starting QB. Favre also called M1,Andy Reid,Matt Millen and as he put it 10 other teams representatives maybe you should tell the kid Brett Favre thinks he is so fucking good he can play for ten teams at the same time. That would be just as Factual.

Who you calling a "little kid"? That 14 year old Favre worshipper was the poster known as Partial.

cpk1994
07-29-2008, 09:29 AM

Who you calling a "little kid"? That 14 year old Favre worshipper was the poster known as Partial.No, I think that was Woody.

cheesner
07-29-2008, 10:09 AM

It wasn't a lie, but your post is. The Packers never said he had a cell phone issued by the Packers. That was speculation by some sports writer who said the Packers had all the cell phone records of calls between Brett and the vikes. The writer found out that only the issuer of the cell phone has access to that so he reported Brett may be using a cell phone issued by the Packers. The next day this was reported as fact.

TT did not lie. At least not in this instance.

Partial
07-29-2008, 11:36 AM

That's because you are full of it.

If the Packers are unwilling to allow a veteran player, 3 time mvp, etc a chance to start or even be on their team, than he should be allowed to go where he wants. He's not a malcontent, cancer, or problem that they're disciplining. They've simple chosen not to want him. Essentially, they're holding him hostage and it is horrendous treatment of a great player.

This situation has made me lose a lot of respect for Packer brass. Do a trade for a 7th and let him choose wherever he wants to go except the Vikings.

Chevelle2
07-29-2008, 11:39 AM
If the Packers are unwilling to allow a veteran player, 3 time mvp, etc a chance to start or even be on their team

From TTs press conference yesterday. When asked, does the organization even want Brett back?. He answered: "There are a lot of different scenarios and Brett and I talked about that. That's one scenario, where he comes back."

texaspackerbacker
07-29-2008, 11:56 AM
It's all about the TEAM--not the individual. Most Packer fans understand that. That is the reason for the normalcy and civility at the camp. The God damned media doesn't give Packer fans credit for having the sophistication to understand that TEAM comes ahead of individual.

Also, if Thompson and McCarthy plus most of the players think the team is better off with Rodgers at the helm, it's kinda ridiculous that some people (certainly not most) want to buy into the know-nothing media crap that the team would be better with Favre. I'll take Thompson and McCarthy's assessment over the God damned media's any day.

mngolf19
07-29-2008, 12:30 PM
This is also because the Pack fans are trusting that TT and M3 will win with Rodgers this year. If something else happens then you will see it go 90% screaming at TT and M3 and cars burning in the streets. (slight exaggeration)

packers11
07-29-2008, 12:31 PM
This is also because the Pack fans are trusting that TT and M3 will win with Rodgers this year. If something else happens then you will see it go 90% screaming at TT and M3 and cars burning in the streets. (slight exaggeration)

correct...

If they go into playoffs all is good...

If they miss the playoffs and Rodgers fails, T.T. is on everyone's shitlist for not welcoming Favre back...

T.T. rolling the dice and hoping Rodgers turns out to be a gem, if not he could be in deep shit if he turns out like Wrexy...

boiga
07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
T.T. rolling the dice and hoping Rodgers turns out to be a gem, if not he could be in deep shit if he turns out like Wrexy...Very true, but I can't imagine he could possibly that bad. Heck, I'd put Flynn as our starter ahead of Rex.

Injury is still the bigger risk. The complaints about Rodgers being injury prone are bogus, but anyone can take a bad fall in this sport. And if Rodgers does, there goes the neighborhood.

Chevelle2
07-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I think this should be put on a shirt

http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/image13.jpg

GBRulz
07-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Gosh, never saw that one before.

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 01:15 PM
good writeup

GREAT signature; i quote that all the time and have it on a plaque

PackerBlues
07-29-2008, 02:33 PM
I think the reason nobody was creating a comotion is because Packer fans really are the most knowledgable and classiest fans in the league, and even though 85-90% want Favre back they would not disrupt the team when practice is on its way.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head Gex. Seems like everyone (the media :roll: ) was expecting problems at the share holders meeting too. Never happened, so the people who support Thompson somehow feel more justified. :bs:

I am sure that most fans are content to let this play out for now, but I think Favre has a lot more support than what the media and the clowns in these forums think.

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 02:38 PM
I think the reason nobody was creating a comotion is because Packer fans really are the most knowledgable and classiest fans in the league, and even though 85-90% want Favre back they would not disrupt the team when practice is on its way.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head Gex. Seems like everyone (the media :roll: ) was expecting problems at the share holders meeting too. Never happened, so the people who support Thompson somehow feel more justified. :bs:

I am sure that most fans are content to let this play out for now, but I think Favre has a lot more support than what the media and the clowns in these forums think.

dito, what did folks expect? tt being hung in effigy??? he he

brett will start vs queens

gex
07-29-2008, 10:58 PM
If you've noticed that on these forums, it really is like 8-10 posters doing all the anti-favre posts and threads and boy, do they post ALOT. Seams most of the Favre fans chime in when they want or are waiting for all this to be played out.

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 11:03 PM
If you've noticed that on these forums, it really is like 8-10 posters doing all the anti-favre posts and threads and boy, do they post ALOT. Seams most of the Favre fans chime in when they want or are waiting for all this to be played out.

I get the other impression Gex; I'm in the Bring Favre Back Camp. But I think we are the minority. More seem to believe in the TT/MM can do no wrong so let's give AROD a shot camp. Time will tell

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2008, 11:39 PM
More seem to believe in the TT/MM can do no wrong so let's give AROD a shot camp. Time will tell

I think it's more The Tired of Brett's Shit camp. I like McCarthy a lot. I like Thompson because I think he's moving the team in the direction it needed to move, but I'm no Thompson worshipper. I love Brett Favre. How many times have I defended him against Bulldog? Did I not create this thread?

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=10929&highlight=1992+brett+favre

digitaldean
07-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Ditto.

I was critical of TT during the Moss debacle last year.

But M3 and TT have done a great job with this team after Shermy put the team through salary cap hell. Brett should be a part of it, but not on his own terms. Though he's not saying it, he sure is acting like he wants it to play out his own way. Unfortunately, most NFL players get the call from the "turk" to show them to the door of their NFL career.

I agree with Harv, this will or won't he crap for the past 4 seasons was tiresome.

Brett had a great season last year, though he was a huge reason, he was just ONE of the reasons the Packers got to the NFC title game. Favre was stellar vs. the Seahags when they fell behind early. He made some great passes to win games for us. He faded in the title game but wasn't the only reason we lost that game.

M3 and TT are stating their trust that ARod's good to go now. The odds of Brett having another season like last year aren't great. Rodgers would have to go now or they'll have a lame duck season with him next year.

I've been so torn on this, but I have to eventually side with the management on this one.

AV David
07-30-2008, 09:02 PM
"This situation has made me lose a lot of respect for Packer brass. Do a trade for a 7th and let him choose wherever he wants to go except the Vikings."

I am really disappointed learning Brett Favre is nothing close to the public persona he has projected all these years. It would probably be best if they traded BF to anyone except Minnesota. The compensation is really immaterial.

That is difficult to do when Brett refuses to give you any idea where he wants to go. Brett won't even speak with any potential suitors.

I tell my daughters people always do things for a reason ... and it is usually the obvious reason.

The MOST obvious MOTIVE here is: "I want to go to Minnesota and only Minnesota"

Brett checked out as a Packer weeks ago. In my view he wants to stick it to the Packers to vindicate real or imagined sleights and indignities thought to be suffered in the past.

I was a Packer fan a long time before I was a Favre fan.

I don't see how an actual Packer fan can wish cataclysmic consequences upon the Packers as retribution for these self same real or imagined sleights and indignities thought to be suffered in the past.