PDA

View Full Version : TC report

RashanGary
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I just got back from TC. It was packed, as bad as it was when Favre was here. I was hoping Favre fans would stay away.

The first thing I noticed was that AR had #4's spot in the front center of their warmup routine. That was about the only time I noticed #4 at practice because his red #4 always stood out in the middle of the front row. Today it was a red #12 in the front and center. That was wierd, it made it hit home a little.

Rodgers looked. . . OK. His passes had plenty of zip. He seemed to hit throw very accurately, and did not hold the ball long at all. A couple times he rolled out but other than that it was drop back and wing it quick and decisively. He seemed to complete a lot of passes but didn't have as many big plays as Brohm.

Brian Brohm looked excellent for a young QB. He made the play of the day IMO when Jennings ran a deep fade (probably about 35 yards downfield). Jennings and the CB were locked up when Brohm let it fly. Jennings exploded away from said DB, eventually hauling in a perfect bomb in stride. It was pretty sweet.

The star of the day IMO was Greg Jennings. Several times he was locked up and covered well but exploded away from defenders to create separation and catch passes. He doesn't drop anything and he is extremely gifted at getting separation on DB's.

None of the big WR's dropped easy balls. Driver and JOnes each dropped very difficult deep balls but for the most part Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Martin caught everything thrown their way. There were a couple of the scrubs who dropped passes, but all in all this was the cleanest group of WR's I've ever seen as far as catching the ball.

Like I said earlier, Brohm really stood out. He made a lot of very nice passes and very few bad ones. He looks like he belongs. I remember in the past watchign Ingle Martin and just knowing there was a huge difference between he and Rodgers. Not only did Brohm fit in, but so did Flynn. Flynn seemed to do a nice job hitting his WR's. Brohm and Rodgers seemed to make more plays but Flynn never had the "wow, that was awfull" moments that I remember from Ingle Martin.

Brandon Jackson is much thicker than I remember. He clearly gained weight. His legs looked thick and developed almost like a young Ahman Green. Last year his legs looked thin and underdeveloped for a RB. You can clearly see his hard work. DeShawn Wynn also looked very fit. Last year he had a little belly fat and looked a little soft. This year he's still big but he looks much more cut. I was waiting to see how Wynn looked to get my hopes up because I really liked his talent last year and I"m officially on board. Sign me up for the Wynn fan club.

Jermichael Finely caught a very nice deep seam route (probably 30 yards down field).

Those were just some quick observations. I was closer to the offense and also more interested with Rodgers taking the helm so most of my observations are on offense today.

RashanGary
07-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Jeremy Thompson seemed to move well in the defensive line group. Hawk had a very nice play in coverage breaking up a seam route intended from Rodgers to D. Lee.

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 09:43 PM
nice write up, thanks for someone who cannot be there!

Brohm seems to be everyones favorite right now no matter if its a fan, coach, or just a football fan... it should be interesting if he out performs Rodgers how much of a leash Rodgers will have if he does mess up

ND72
07-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Like I said earlier, Brohm really stood out. He made a lot of very nice passes and very few bad ones. He looks like he belongs. I remember in the past watchign Ingle Martin and just knowing there was a huge difference between he and Rodgers. Not only did Brohm fit in, but so did Flynn. Flynn seemed to do a nice job hitting his WR's. Brohm and Rodgers seemed to make more plays but Flynn never had the "wow, that was awfull" moments that I remember from Ingle Martin.

Good to see Brohm doing good. I heard his morning practice was shaky. I'm more interested/concerned with our defense, which is what I'll be watching for tomorrow while I'm there.

RashanGary
07-28-2008, 09:45 PM
All of the QB's seemed very athletic. Rodgers, in particular, was great in the drills where they were on the move. He just flys out in the flat and throws perfect bullets, on the mark, running in either direction.

ND72
07-28-2008, 09:48 PM
All of the QB's seemed very athletic. Rodgers, in particular, was great in the drills where they were on the move. He just flys out in the flat and throws perfect bullets, on the mark, running in either direction.

If you ever watch any of his Cal highlights, they always had him on the move.

boiga
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah, thanks for the review JH.

Did any of the Running backs make a big run? McCarthy said the Brandon Jacobs had a great day, but you could tell better than we can.

Pacopete4
I am more of a pocker passer guy that moves when he has to avoid being hit, so it could take some getting used to watching Rodgers play

Pacopete4

Did any of the Running backs make a big run? McCarthy said the Brandon Jacobs had a great day, but you could tell better than we can.

its Jackson....................... :roll:

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the recap! I too, am interested to see Rodgers leash with regards to Brohm

Pacopete4
07-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the recap! I too, am interested to see Rodgers leash with regards to Brohm

Here's a question... Who do you think replaces him if he stinks it up?

Favre if he still is sitting at home?

OR

Brohm, a rookie with no expirience?

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I've seen more bad reports than good reports than Brohm. Most say he's picked up the offense, but doesn't have near the ability of Rodgers.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080726/PKR01/80726055/0/PKRspecials&theme=PKR2008TRAIN

Brohm had his share of rookie problems in offseason practices, where his tendency to hold the ball would have led to excessive sacks in a game setting. He’s a pocket passer with average mobility at best, but the Packers like his size (6-foot-3, 223 pounds), touch, vision and intelligence. His arm is good by NFL standards, but not as strong as Rodgers’. He had an unusual number of wobbly throws in the final minicamp, though that didn’t show up in his college game tapes.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=776717

Philbin said he wants to see the rookies in pads before making a move for a veteran.

Rated by some scouts as the most ready-to-play passer in the draft, Brohm's ability to assimilate the system has been phenomenal. But so far Brohm's arm hasn't looked nearly as good as Rodgers' and he was indecisive on his reads and throws.

Harrell has been talking up Brohm since we drafted him, so I'm thinking he's this year's Neon Hawkins.

Bretsky
07-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the recap; good to hear positive things about Brohm. I've taken my shots now and then about Hawkins too HW; but the difference is Brohm was an established college player. Hawkins was all about unrealized potential. I hope Brohm is the real deal.

RashanGary
07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
In defense of myself, I was 23/24 at the time and really didn't know very much about football. I'd like to think I've come a long way in the last three years. I know what to watch for somewhat now and my predictions keep getting more accurate, by my count anyway. Hell, you have to go back 4 years to dig up a really bad one so I have to be doing something right.

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 10:15 PM

Here's a question... Who do you think replaces him if he stinks it up?

Favre if he still is sitting at home?

OR

Brohm, a rookie with no expirience?

Good question. I think with everything that has gone on, Brohm - but who really knows.

dissident94
07-28-2008, 10:20 PM
you still don't understand the importance of QB play though. We have the weakest QB depth going into camp in the NFL besides the Bears, Queens and Raiders.

I was glad to see TT draft 2 qbs in case Rodgers turns out to be a bust. But this team will regress this year.

falco
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM

its Jackson....................... :roll:

too bad we're not all brilliant like you taco

boiga
07-28-2008, 10:26 PM
its Jackson....................... :roll: :oops:

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2008, 11:31 PM
In the morning practice, Rodgers started out poorly but picked things up as the day wore on. By the end of the full pads night practice, he had unofficially completed 18 of 26 passes in 11-on-11 drills.

He showed a nice touch on his deep ball but mostly threw a lot of quick, timing routes. Neither Brian Brohm nor Matt Flynn, both rookies, showed any of the consistency Rodgers did.

"I thought Aaron was sharp," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I thought he was sharp tonight. The ball is being distributed where it's supposed to go. I think the timing a couple times was not what it needed to be between him and the receiver.

"Brian and Matt just need reps. They're not playing to the speed of the game yet. That comes with time."

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 11:36 PM
In the morning practice, Rodgers started out poorly

Bring Back Brett!

Bring Back Brett!

Bring Back Brett!

Bring Back Brett!

Bring Back Brett!

RashanGary
07-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Yeah, I think that is what was my first impression. I really paid attention to him early and he missed his first couple throws. It was funny, I said "bring back Brett" to the people next to me just to see how irrational they were and they were all like, "yeah, we're screwed". . . After 3 throws :lol:

RashanGary
07-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Rodgers didn't make any big, spectacular throws where Brohm hit a couple kick ass bombs, but the best thing I can say about Rodgers is that he dropped back and got the ball out immediately just about every time. He was very decisive. It also looks like his numbers turned out pretty well too.

RashanGary
07-29-2008, 07:11 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again though. Jennings was the star. He can create instant separation. I don't think many guys in the league can cover him. Nobody on our team could.

GBRulz
07-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I just got back from TC. It was packed, as bad as it was when Favre was here. I was hoping Favre fans would stay away.

I disagree 100%. For opening day of TC, the crowd was about half of what it's been in the past. I got a spot right along the fence, where normally it's at least 3-4 people deep. So, I think you got your wish.

boiga
07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Rodgers didn't make any big, spectacular throws where Brohm hit a couple kick ass bombs, but the best thing I can say about Rodgers is that he dropped back and got the ball out immediately just about every time. He was very decisive. It also looks like his numbers turned out pretty well too.You didn't see this play?
• Rodgers and receiver James Jones hooked up on the play of the day during the evening session when cornerback Charles Woodson bit on a great play fake by Rodgers, which allowed Jones to fly past him for a 50-yard touchdown pass. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=777291 Play fake + long bomb make packer fan happy camper.

Fritz
07-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Rodgers didn't make any big, spectacular throws where Brohm hit a couple kick ass bombs, but the best thing I can say about Rodgers is that he dropped back and got the ball out immediately just about every time. He was very decisive. It also looks like his numbers turned out pretty well too.You didn't see this play?
• Rodgers and receiver James Jones hooked up on the play of the day during the evening session when cornerback Charles Woodson bit on a great play fake by Rodgers, which allowed Jones to fly past him for a 50-yard touchdown pass. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=777291 Play fake + long bomb make packer fan happy camper.

Don't you think it's a litle unseemly to be reporting on these guys' personal lives?

RashanGary
07-29-2008, 10:20 AM
I did see that bomb to Jones but the defense caved on that. Jones was wide open. Credit Rodgers with seeing the opportunity and taking it when it was there. He didn't take many shots down field but when he took one he hit it easily. I guess his decision making and ability to get the ball out very quickly was the #1 thing I saw from him.

MadtownPacker
07-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I think youre an ass 60% of the time JH but I do appreciate these cool reports you come though with. Seems to always be more in depth and personal then the media reports.

I see you said Rodgers was OK. Are you holding back saying great because we will think you are being a ARod homer? Did he really kick ass?

RashanGary
07-29-2008, 11:32 AM
It's tough for me to evaluate the QB. I had a very good view of the field but it happens very quickly and I don't know what his progressions were supposed to be. He started slowly like another report said (missing his first 2 or 3) but it's hard for me to say he did GREAT and hard for me to say he did poorly. I can say Brohm and Flynn have much better accuracy than the lower tier QB's of the past. They seem to have more consistancy than Ingle or paul Thompson.

The only real observation I can say that I saw on the positive side was he seemed to rarely throw inot double coverage and got the ball out of his hand very quickly. It was boom, boom, boom, play over.

I just don't think I know enough to come out and say he was kicking ass. I do have some experience watching the 3rd string QB's flounder in the past so I do think I have enough football watching experience to say these two young guys are markedly better at hitting their targets.

LL2
07-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I think youre an ass 60% of the time JH

Only 60% of the time? What is he the other 40%? A geek? A metrosexual?