PDA

View Full Version : Options

Joemailman
07-28-2008, 10:13 PM
In trying to figure out whether Favre or Thompson have the upper hand in this affair, I think it comes down to one unanswered question: Is Ted Thompson willing to pay Favre 12 million to backup Aaron Rodgers rather than release him? If he is, then he has the upper hand since if Favre wants to be a starter he would then have to agree to give up his desire to sign with Minnesota, and agree to a trade. If Thompson is not willing to do that, than Favre has the upper hand. He can simply wait until the end of training camp and Thompson would have to release him.

Most would assume that Favre would agree to a trade rather than be a backup in Green Bay. But is that certain? What is more important to Favre? A starting job, or a shot at a another Super Bowl ring? If he wants to start, clearly he would prefer a trade. However, if he wants a ring, he could decide that his best chance for that is in Green Bay.

Farley Face
07-28-2008, 10:21 PM
In trying to figure out whether Favre or Thompson have the upper hand in this affair, I think it comes down to one unanswered question: Is Ted Thompson willing to pay Favre 12 million to backup Aaron Rodgers rather than release him? If he is, then he has the upper hand since if Favre wants to be a starter he would then have to agree to give up his desire to sign with Minnesota, and agree to a trade. If Thompson is not willing to do that, than Favre has the upper hand. He can simply wait until the end of training camp and Thompson would have to release him.

Most would assume that Favre would agree to a trade rather than be a backup in Green Bay. But is that certain? What is more important to Favre? A starting job, or a shot at a another Super Bowl ring? If he wants to start, clearly he would prefer a trade. However, if he wants a ring, he could decide that his best chance for that is in Green Bay.

My personal opinion is Favre has sworn off ever playing for the green and gold again. If he shows up to camp it will be only to try and make TT blink.

Rastak
07-28-2008, 10:22 PM
If he is serious about playing he should get his ass to camp and quit screwing around. He isn't wanted, that's obvious. Show up and compete because I'm starting to think a trade is unlikely. Release is likely out of the question.

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't think either of them have the upper hand. They are both in a shitty spot.

TT will not pay Favre 12 mil to back up Rodgers.
TT would not pay Favre 1 mil or 1 dollar to back up Rodgers.....he simply does not want him around anymore to mess with his "plan".

If TT is so confident in Rodgers then release Favre and let this whole thing go...let Favre play!! And if that means with the Vikings so be it.

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 10:24 PM
If he is serious about playing he should get his ass to camp and quit screwing around. He isn't wanted, that's obvious. Show up and compete

Right. And let the cards fall where they may.

falco
07-28-2008, 10:25 PM
If he is serious about playing he should get his ass to camp and quit screwing around. He isn't wanted, that's obvious. Show up and compete

Right. And let the cards fall where they may.

that's all he had to do in the first place and a lot of this mess could have been avoided

just say, hey, I'm coming back, I want to play, and then the ball is TT court, he can do whatever he wants from there (trade, release, bench, etc)

Bretsky
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
If he is serious about playing he should get his ass to camp and quit screwing around. He isn't wanted, that's obvious. Show up and compete because I'm starting to think a trade is unlikely. Release is likely out of the question.

EXACTLY

Get your ass to camp and beat out Rodgers

TT doesn't want you and he'll drop the asking price if you get in camp

boiga
07-28-2008, 10:33 PM
I think that's where you're wrong. TT could more easily spend 12 million on an over qualified back up than Brett could withstand sitting on the bench watching Aaron have a good time. We have the money, but Brett does not have the patience.

If Brett had to choose between riding the bench and sitting in Mississippi, he'd choose Mississippi. Do you remember how miserable he was during that Dallas game?

Joemailman
07-28-2008, 10:36 PM

If you're right, then Favre has 2 choices. Play for the Packers or retire. Let TT force him into retirement, or play for the Packers, and see what happens? Last year, only 10 QB's in the entire league started every game, and it's not like Arod has been an ironman. If Favre agrees to be the backup, he likely starts at some point. Not saying it will likely happen, but crazier things have happened.

RIPackerFan
I agree - I think the best thing that could happen is for Favre to hold a press conference tomorrow and say the following:
1) I asked for reinstatement.
2) I apologize to the NFL, my team - the Green Bay Packers - and the fans for the way this situation has been handled.
3) I understand that because I retired, the Packers moved on and made Rogers the starter.
4) I will accept the assignment as the number 2 QB - since it was I who retired.
5) However, I do this with the expectation that while Arod is the starter, if I outperform him in preseason, I will be the number 1 QB. If I cannot, I will be content with my back-up status.
6) I cannot take any questions since I need to get to camp to be with my teammates.

Then just let the cards fall where they are. If he can't beat out Arod - then he is number 2.

Chevelle2

EXACTLY

To be fair to Brett, I thought they said being his backup wasn't an option?

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 10:37 PM
I think that's where you're wrong. TT could more easily spend 12 million on an over qualified back up than Brett could withstand sitting on the bench watching Aaron have a good time. We have the money, but Brett does not have the patience.

If Brett had to choose between riding the bench and sitting in Mississippi, he'd choose Mississippi. Do you remember how miserable he was during that Dallas game?

No Way!! The guy won't part with money in FA....no way will he pay Favre to sit. Not to mention the fans would be screaming the first mistake Rodgers made. (well, that will happen anyway....but you know what I mean)

dabootski
07-28-2008, 10:38 PM
GrnBay007
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:23 pm Post subject:
I don't think either of them have the upper hand. They are both in a shitty spot.

TT would not pay Favre 1 mil or 1 dollar to back up Rodgers.....he simply does not want him around anymore to mess with his "plan".

If TT is so confident in Rodgers then release Favre and let this whole thing go...let Favre play!! And if that means with the Vikings so be it.

come on that is just plain retarded.

Freak Out
07-28-2008, 10:39 PM
TT asked #4 for a couple of days to work things out and the clock is ticking....if he holds pat then #4 needs to file the letter and show at camp.

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 10:40 PM

EXACTLY

LOL true....silly as it seems. Doesn't even sound like he's welcome at all at Lambeau. Crazy stuff going on in GB.

boiga
I agree - I think the best thing that could happen is for Favre to hold a press conference tomorrow and say the following:
2) I apologize to the NFL, my team - the Green Bay Packers - and the fans for the way this situation has been handled.
3) I understand that because I retired, the Packers moved on and made Rogers the starter.
4) I will accept the assignment as the number 2 QB - since it was I who retired.
5) However, I do this with the expectation that while Arod is the starter, if I outperform him in preseason, I will be the number 1 QB. If I cannot, I will be content with my back-up status.
6) I cannot take any questions since I need to get to camp to be with my teammates.

Then just let the cards fall where they are. If he can't beat out Arod - then he is number 2. That would be nice, but he'd never do it. Brett, Bus and Deanna feel like the wronged party here, so no apologies will be forthcoming.

If he did what you suggest, Packer nation would welcome him back with open arms. But considering Favre's repeated requests to be released, Brett would prefer starting for anyone over being a backup for the Packers.

He doesn't want to be Packer so much that he would risk riding the pine.

Bretsky

EXACTLY

They've implied so many messages I'm having a hard time keeping up.

MM said he could find a role for him on the team if he came in; but then reiterated that AROD was his starting QB. That is the one clear thing.

IMO by coming to camp, it becomes a circus, and TT will wrap us a trade fast
Right now, TT could be asking for too much; but that won't keep up if Favre gets to Green Bay IMO

Chevelle2
07-28-2008, 10:41 PM

Then just let the cards fall where they are. If he can't beat out Arod - then he is number 2.

People will fall in love with him all over again. Balls in TTs court if he does this.

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 10:42 PM
GrnBay007

Why? He's confident Rodgers is "the guy".

See what happens.

He's the "ultimate draft man" ...prove it.

boiga
07-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Bretsky, you're assuming that Favre would accept the trade, though.

He doesn't like the Jets or Bucs, although apparently could be convinced after a talk with their Head Coaches.

If he decides neither of those teams are what he wants, there's no one else willing to pay for him, so no other trades would really be possible.

Joemailman
07-28-2008, 10:44 PM

EXACTLY

From MM's PC today:

(Now that camp has started, do you still have a role in the resolution of this whole situation?) Yeah, I would definitely say I'm still involved. Conversations between Ted Thompson and I happen throughout the day, so I would say I'm definitely involved.

(Would he be doing this team a disservice by showing up at camp and creating a distraction?) I don't view it that way. It's an option. Once again, this is a very unusual situation that we're in. It really falls under the terms of a business decision. Those are one of his options. We have a very strong locker room. I have great confidence in our players. If you look at the makeup of our locker room, 25 percent, 21 players, have never even met Brett Favre. There are a lot of things that we talked about, I wouldn't say a lot of things. We talked about it as a team yesterday. I don't foresee Brett Favre coming in here as a problem. Brett Favre is a big part of the Green Bay Packers history, and he may be a part of the future as we move forward, and that's an option that he has if he reinstates.

dabootski
07-28-2008, 10:46 PM
GrnBay007

Why? He's confident Rodgers is "the guy".

See what happens.

He's the "ultimate draft man" ...prove it.

regardless of how confident TT is in rodgers, that is just plain bad strategy. even if we 100% absolutely KNEW rodgers was better than favre, it would still be a shitty move strategically.

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 10:49 PM
regardless of how confident TT is in rodgers, that is just plain bad strategy. even if we 100% absolutely KNEW rodgers was better than favre, it would still be a shitty move strategically.

I would think it's also bad strategy NOT to allow a QB competition in order to put the best QB on the field for the 2008 season. I guess that sounds "retarded" too.

boiga
07-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Quarterback competitions don't really work though. All they do is engender bad feelings. Think Leinart/ Warner last year, or what the Bears put themselves through.

Here's a recent SI article on why QB competitions are a farce: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/07/28/qb.competitions/index.html

Edit: QB competitions merely mean that if one guy loses the job, the other will get it. The rest is grandstanding.

dabootski
07-28-2008, 10:52 PM

I would think it's also bad strategy NOT to allow a QB competition in order to put the best QB on the field for the 2008 season. I guess that sounds "retarded" too.

i'm not opposed to the QB competition although i don't think it will happen. please don't assume i'm a blind follower of TT. just pointing out the fact that releasing favre to go wherever (vikings) would just be a ridiculous move strategically.

bobblehead
07-28-2008, 10:55 PM
GrnBay007

No its not, and if DD and kampman ask to be released to join minnesota we should man up and let them too.

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Quarterback competitions don't really work though. All they do is engender bad feelings. Think Leinart/ Warner last year, or what the Bears put themselves through.

:lol: That made me smile.......what a completely different spot the Packers would be in compared to the Bears.

Packers - which good QB do we play

Bears - which, umm, you know the guy that throws the ball, do we play

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 10:58 PM

The problem is that Favre fans think a "competition" means that Favre is the starter.
What would be your reaction if Rodgers won the competition, particularly if there was some good evidence that Favre outplayed him?

bobblehead
07-28-2008, 10:59 PM

People will fall in love with him all over again. Balls in TTs court if he does this.
and when MM declares rodgers the winner because he isn't prone to nearly as many interceptions and fumbles....what then? All of you will be screaming that it was never a fair competition, all QB's throw picks inside their own 10 right between uhrlachers numbers in tight games, MM just hates favre.

Anyway all this is silly, who are the idiots saying favre isn't allowed at camp? He is retired.....if he files his stinkin papers he can come to camp...WE CAN'T STOP HIM!!!

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 11:00 PM
and when MM declares rodgers the winner because he isn't prone to nearly as many interceptions and fumbles....what then?

well stated, this is what I was thinking. There are a LOT of factors in naming the starting QB. And the coaches have the right to make that subjective decision.

boiga
07-28-2008, 11:01 PM
:lol: That made me smile.......what a completely different spot the Packers would be in compared to the Bears.

Packers - which good QB do we play

Bears - which, umm, you know the guy that throws the ball, do we playI can't really argue with that. I like our QB position a lot more too.

My point is that even if there were a QB competition, the job would be Rodgers to lose, and I don't think Favre or most of his fans could accept that.

woodbuck27
07-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Favre has to be frustrated with Ted Thompson. He knows that he and TT arn't on the same page. Their personality's are so different. Favre impulsive and impatient and TT in knots and has his hands tied. Ted just wants Favre gone.

Favre as a back-up. too funnny. NO!

I also believe that he wants to continue his streak, the achievement he takes the most pride in. So realistically it's a trade. No release. So Favre has to wait as he agreed to tomorrow and reinstate and get into it.

He has to stop healing to Ted Thompson.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Favre as a back-up. too funnny. NO!

I have to agree, actually. He's coming off a stellar season, well, stellar regular season. If I were in his shoes, I would go ahead and take the backup job, hope to move but. But I understand his view.

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 11:07 PM
I can't really argue with that. I like our QB position a lot more too.

My point is that even if there were a QB competition, the job would be Rodgers to lose, and I don't think Favre or most of his fans could accept that.

The thing is, Rodgers never out-performed Favre in order to take it from him. It's probably the only thing that is bothering TT's conscious, if he has one.

dabootski
07-28-2008, 11:07 PM
GrnBay007

No its not, and if DD and kampman ask to be released to join minnesota we should man up and let them too.

you really think making personnel decisions in the nfl should have anything to do with "man-ing up"??? i think its hypocritical to say that TT should "man up" by letting favre go wherever he wants (minnesota) and also say they should put the best person on the field regardless of the situation. to me that is inconsistent logic.

not that i'm opposed to the "put the best guy on the field" argument (i would love for #4 to be our starter this year) but what is the difference between putting the best guy on the field and not letting the best guy on the field go play for the enemy? its a cut-throat business man. dont hand your weapons to the bad guy. simple as that.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 11:09 PM

The thing is, Rodgers never out-performed Favre in order to take it from him. It's probably the only thing that is bothering TT's conscious, if he has one.

Well, there you go. Maybe in the Coaches minds Rodgers DID outperform Favre! They might be very unhappy with the look in Favre's eyes in the Giants game. He looked like he didn't want to be out there at times.

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 11:09 PM

The problem is that Favre fans think a "competition" means that Favre is the starter.
What would be your reaction if Rodgers won the competition, particularly if there was some good evidence that Favre outplayed him?

It wouldn't happen HH. If there was a chance, TT/MM would allow it.

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Well, there you go. Maybe in the Coaches minds Rodgers DID outperform Favre! They might be very unhappy with the look in Favre's eyes in the Giants game. He looked like he didn't want to be out there at times.

So now you are saying TT and MM liked the look in Rodgers eyes more than Favre?

:roll: You are watching too much porn blue dog.

The Shadow
07-28-2008, 11:12 PM

He had that beaten Y.A. Tittle look from the 63 Giants championship loss.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 11:13 PM

Actually, since a coaches decision is subjective, sure, sexual attraction might very well play a role, especially if TT has input.

The coaches get to be the king makers.

Bretsky
07-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Come on 007, you've always said there is no such thing as "too much porn"

J/K

:lol:

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 11:16 PM
[

Yeah, he had that beaten look on 12/22/03 too, and we all saw what he did to the Raiders that night.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2008, 11:16 PM

you really think making personnel decisions in the nfl should have anything to do with "man-ing up"??? i think its hypocritical to say that TT should "man up" by letting favre go wherever he wants (minnesota) and also say they should put the best person on the field regardless of the situation. to me that is inconsistent logic.

not that i'm opposed to the "put the best guy on the field" argument (i would love for #4 to be our starter this year) but what is the difference between putting the best guy on the field and not letting the best guy on the field go play for the enemy? its a cut-throat business man. dont hand your weapons to the bad guy. simple as that.

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.
:D

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 11:17 PM

I was thinking of Horatio Hornblower in the 1947 Championship game, Horatio looked like he was at his own funeral. A sad, cold day, I'll never forget it.

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 11:17 PM

Come on 007, you've always said there is no such thing as "too much porn"

J/K

:lol:

yeah, so? different porn. :P :wink:

boiga
07-28-2008, 11:18 PM
The thing is, Rodgers never out-performed Favre in order to take it from him. It's probably the only thing that is bothering TT's conscious, if he has one. I don't think that comes into play much, really. The coaches believe that they can be setup for the next 5 years with Rodgers. The same can not be said of Favre.

Even if Favre plays better right this instance, would you rather wait for him to decline into obsolescence before getting his backup ready? The coaches determined Favre's backup was ready over the summer and now don't have any reason to invest in Favre's decline when they already have a guy who can play (we all hope.)

dabootski
07-28-2008, 11:20 PM

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.
:D

haha! yeah i think you are right. too quick to the goddamn keyboard...

damn you brett favre for making me feel these crazy emotions!!!

GrnBay007
07-28-2008, 11:20 PM
The thing is, Rodgers never out-performed Favre in order to take it from him. It's probably the only thing that is bothering TT's conscious, if he has one. I don't think that comes into play much, really. The coaches believe that they can be setup for the next 5 years with Rodgers. The same can not be said of Favre.

Even if Favre plays better right this instance, would you rather wait for him to decline into obsolescence before getting his backup ready? The coaches determined Favre's backup was ready over the summer and now don't have any reason to invest in Favre's decline when they already have a guy who can play (we all hope.)

LOL that's silly. The NFL is all about winning now. Nobody knows if Rodgers will ever be ready in that respect.

Anyway, it's been fun. Night Favre-haters. :D

The Shadow
07-28-2008, 11:21 PM

I was thinking of Horatio Hornblower in the 1947 Championship game, Horatio looked like he was at his own funeral. A sad, cold day, I'll never forget it.

Sidd Finch, in that frigid 23' title game at the Guano Grounds, was also a beaten man, even as he ran out onto the field.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Sidd Finch, in that frigid 23' title game at the Guano Grounds, was also a beaten man, even as he ran out onto the field.

a little before my time. my parents wouldn't let me attend ball games then, too much bootleg liquor in the stands.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Sidd Finch could also hurl a baseball at 110 MPH. Dude had an arm.

The Shadow
07-28-2008, 11:26 PM

a little before my time. my parents wouldn't let me attend ball games then, too much bootleg liquor in the stands.

I was selling it from within the voluminous folds of my raccoon coat.

Chevelle2
07-29-2008, 09:36 AM

EXACTLY

From MM's PC today:

(Now that camp has started, do you still have a role in the resolution of this whole situation?) Yeah, I would definitely say I'm still involved. Conversations between Ted Thompson and I happen throughout the day, so I would say I'm definitely involved.

(Would he be doing this team a disservice by showing up at camp and creating a distraction?) I don't view it that way. It's an option. Once again, this is a very unusual situation that we're in. It really falls under the terms of a business decision. Those are one of his options. We have a very strong locker room. I have great confidence in our players. If you look at the makeup of our locker room, 25 percent, 21 players, have never even met Brett Favre. There are a lot of things that we talked about, I wouldn't say a lot of things. We talked about it as a team yesterday. I don't foresee Brett Favre coming in here as a problem. Brett Favre is a big part of the Green Bay Packers history, and he may be a part of the future as we move forward, and that's an option that he has if he reinstates.

OK because on ESPN ticker, they said Favre can't come to TC, which is also what my friend told me.....is that true? What are peoples thoughts on this (Im in an argument with my friend and she said its not fair that they arent letting him into camp, and I need a rebuttle)

Rastak
07-29-2008, 09:41 AM

I remember him!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

boiga
07-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Favre is fully allowed to come into camp, it's just that unless he confirms to everyone that the wants to stay with the Packers, he won't be particularly welcome there.

Take this from M3's perspective, a guy walks into your practice field who likely will only be there until a trade can be arranged. Do you take away reps from the QB's that will still be here a month from now? Do you get him up to speed on your revamped offensive game plan, knowing he'll be telling it all to your rival's defensive coordinator?

Favre might come in, but unless he gives up on trades/releases, I can't imagine McCarthy trying to get him involved.

mmmdk
07-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Right on! You can't have a guy that knows the playbook come into camp; get all the new dinks and dunks only to split via trade or the near unthinkable release. Should never happen.

Now if only Favre could be our LS then... :lol:

Fritz
07-29-2008, 10:16 AM

I remember him!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When Jim Thorpe slammed into him and Sid's right shouldere was hanging by a single tendon from its socket, the coaches could see in Sid's eyes that he'd lost the will to compete.

texaspackerbacker
07-29-2008, 11:25 AM

Excellent analysis, Joe--pretty much what I've been saying all along.