PDA

View Full Version : Thompson's Ego

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Thompson was asked Monday about the egos involved in the Favre-Thompson stalemate.

"For me, none," Thompson said. "You can have mine. I don't have one left, I don't think. Not after this."

What a crock. :roll:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3508446

bobblehead
07-29-2008, 12:09 PM
All great leaders have an ego, but the truly great ones don't get into spitting matches...they just go about their business of being smarter than the rest of the populace.

TT is either going to be one of the greatest GM's of my lifetime or he is going to flop in an epic way this year. He is very ron wolf like, except he hasn't made the mistakes wolf made in free agency. IMO he is better in that he truly is sticking to his vision, he isn't gambling now that he is close.

mmmdk
07-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Favre's ego eating away (any ego)! Well...maybe not...McCarthy isn't taking any crap; there's that Pittsburgh attitude for ya. I love that tough attitude.

boiga
07-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Out of curiosity, when did you start to think Ted was an egomaniac. He never grandstands, never gloats, and has never demanded credit for any accomplishment the Packers have made.

So why do you think that he is full of himself?

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Out of curiosity, when did you start to think Ted was an egomaniac. He never grandstands, never gloats, and has never demanded credit for any accomplishment the Packers have made.

I didn't say he was full of himself. But I do think that he's made a mistake and it's that ego that won't let him change things.

Bossman641
07-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Thompson was asked Monday about the egos involved in the Favre-Thompson stalemate.

"For me, none," Thompson said. "You can have mine. I don't have one left, I don't think. Not after this."

What a crock. :roll:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3508446

Yet this is the same guy who left the annual GM meeting early so he could go scout some 6th round player from bumblefuck Tennessee rather than sit there and bask in the glory of being named Executive of the Year. What an egotistical maniac!!! :roll:

Some people. Name me one time where TT has sat around and searched for the spotlight. If anything he just tries to do his job and stay out of it.

BallHawk
07-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Because Ted has a clear idea of what he wants in a football player and because he goes after football players fit to his liking, he is thus declared an egomaniac... :roll:

bobblehead
07-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Favre's ego eating away (any ego)! Well...maybe not...McCarthy isn't taking any crap; there's that Pittsburgh attitude for ya. I love that tough attitude.

Right:

"We don't care about homefield. We'll play them in the parking lot in arlington for all I care. I like this team anywhere"

or something like that after the loss to dallas. He is tough and toughminded, I am looking forward to many seasons of TT and MM.

Bossman641
07-29-2008, 12:17 PM

I didn't say he was full of himself. But I do think that he's made a mistake and it's that ego that won't let him change things.

YOU think. He doesn't. So because he doesn't agree with your viewpoints he is egotistical.

Partial
07-29-2008, 12:18 PM
You all roll your eyes, but TT barely has a winning record, and he has yet to go without a hall-of-fame quarterback. We'll see how successful his teams are with "A-Rod" at the helm.

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 12:19 PM

YOU think. He doesn't. So because he doesn't agree with your viewpoints he is egotistical.

That's right, it's what I think (I didn't bold that, you did).

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 12:20 PM
You all roll your eyes, but TT barely has a winning record, and he has yet to go without a hall-of-fame quarterback. We'll see how successful his teams are with "A-Rod" at the helm.

you're on. care to make it interesting?

(just joking, i know you don't want to bet against the pack)

bobblehead
07-29-2008, 12:20 PM

bookmarking this so I can throw it back at the end of the season. Just like I got to do at JS all last year.

sharpe1027
07-29-2008, 12:21 PM

I'm not saying TT handled the situation perfectly, but it was a very difficult spot to be in. Favre has handled it far worse, IMHO.

Favre bailed on the Pack after a single phone conversation where he for the first time confirmed he was coming back for sure and wasn't handed the starting job immediately. That doesn't strike me as being very comitted to playing for the Packers. Given all the things he and his camp have said and the timing of the things he has done, I find it difficult to believe him when he says he really wanted to play for the Packers all along.

mraynrand
07-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Copied from another thread:

"TT has a way of doing things and a leadership style that he knows works. Great leaders all have confidence in the style and substance of their methodology - and this typically inspires confidence in their followers and organization. From the distance of a fan, it can look like an 'ego.' If he really has a fat head, the people who will know will be the folks who have to work with him, and they will grumble. I suspect that if he had an EGO, we'd know about it. I give as an example what happened with Jones, and how Harlan had to pitch him and restart with Murphy."

BallHawk
07-29-2008, 12:22 PM

Ted barely has a winning record because he had to inherit the team in 2005 that Sherman put in salary cap hell.

Bossman641
07-29-2008, 12:23 PM

That's right, it's what I think (I didn't bold that, you did).

Yea I understand. You think TT has an ego because he has moved on from Favre. Every situation from the past 3 years shows that TT has anything but an ego (staying out of the spotlight, not hogging the credit for the turnaround). You want to base your opinion that he has an ego because you disagree with him. What a fair way to judge a person. Because he/she disagrees with what you want he/she is an egomaniac.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
For an NFL GM, I've always felt Thompson has very little ego. Sure, he has ideas about what he wants in a player or coach, but that's hardly ego driven. I have a hard time understanding people that say otherwise. That's the least of his problems. I think Favre has an ego, and there's nothing wrong with that. Most great QBs do.

Spaulding
07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Here's a former player that each year had to scrap for a roster spot (what ego is there in that), doesn't seek the lime light (again suggests it's not an ego thing) and IMO is just steadfast in how he's learned/believed a GM should do things.

He decides on a value for a player (whether this is a democracy within the organization or not I'm not sure but from what I gather he does solicit the input of others) and sticks to it. He doesn't overbid and is overall quite conservative in his approach.

In summary the consumate poker player and a fine GM in my eyes. The one knock is that's not a charismatic or polished public speaker. Who the hell cares.

Is it EGO you think or ego, as in let go of my ego? Isn't an ego really a fancy word for waffle? If you follow that, then isn't it really Favre with the EGO and not Thompson? And seriously, what player feels ENTITLED to play GM?

God Bless Favre (I won't see a greater Packer likely in my lifetime) but he's paid to play QB and not GM.

BallHawk
07-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Agreed, Bojangles. Good post.

jramsey495
07-29-2008, 02:32 PM
great thread. i've wondered where people get the idea that ted has a huge ego because i don't think he's done much to show that he has one, other than being quiet. sometimes quiet people are viewed suspiciously and come off like their arrogant.

that being said, i'm sure he has a healthy ego. you couldn't do his job without one. but if he really thinks we're better off in the long run by cutting ties with Favre, he's showing a huge set of stones right now by towing the line. if they did/do bring favre back, can you even imagine next year's off-season?

PackerBlues
07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Doesn't really matter if Ted has an ego or not. He is still a dousche bag! :taunt: :lol:

cheesner
07-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Is it EGO you think or ego, as in let go of my ego? Isn't an ego really a fancy word for waffle? If you follow that, then isn't it really Favre with the EGO and not Thompson? And seriously, what player feels ENTITLED to play GM?
:D

Those who think TT has a big ego, here is what a big ego actually looks like:

ego (http://www.dallascowboys.com/team_executive_jerry_jones.cfm)

Keep in mind, this is his website. He wrote this or directed someone to do it.

TT has to be one of the more non-egocentric GMs in the NFL. He appears very uncomfortable in any public setting. I don't know that I have ever heard him say anything taking credit for himself. He defers all success to the coaches, scouts or players.

Spaulding
07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks Ballhawk, dead on Cheesner - Jones is a GM poster child for ego. As for TT's approach as GM, not really exciting, in fact at times downright boring but I'm not one to argue with the results.

Sure he has his knocks:

- screwed the pooch year one on thinking O'Dwyer and Klemm could replace Wahle and Rivera

- jury is still out on his three first round picks (Rodgers = Unknown, Hawk = Solid but not spectacular, Harrell = Injured/Out of shape) but most of his other picks outside of Cory Rodgers have been mostly excellent

- needs to join Toastmasters

But net is that he has to be given some credit for restocking the roster with great young talent, selecting a no-nonsense up and coming coach and generating a team chemistry we haven't seen in a long time. Flat out he'd added not just good atheletes but football players first. Guys that live/breathe/eat/shit this stuff.

Whether this whole Favre fiasco backfires or proves him correct, I have no idea but I do like the way he handles himself and his calm and collectedness under the worst kind of duress a GM has seen since Bilicheat booted Kosar from the Browns.

SkinBasket
07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Doesn't really matter if Ted has an ego or not. He is still a dousche bag! :taunt: :lol:

Douche bags think you're a douche bag for not being able to spell douche.

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Mick Hager column: Thompson showed weakness as leader
By Mick Hager • July 28, 2008
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/GPG0703/807280547/1247/GPG03

Mr. Thompson, I've been watching how you've handled the "Favre Situation" over the past few weeks, and I want to share some unsolicited advice with you.

Let me be clear, Mr. Thompson, I am a not a "wild and crazy" Packers fan like most here tend to be. I grew up in Green Bay, have respect for the team and its history and am proud to call this place home. Furthermore, I am not taking sides here, whatever the outcome is, it's fine with me.

From a leadership perspective, I was extremely disappointed that you decided to speak out when you did and even more disappointed in some of the things you said. First of all your timing was way off. You need only look to Vince Lombardi for advice on this one.

The greatest man to coach this game would probably have said this to reporters, "I haven't talked to Brett (Favre) and more importantly we haven't squared this thing up yet, so get the *&%$ out of here with your questions until we do."

The point here is: Vince knew when to talk to reporters and when to keep quiet in order to maintain the integrity of a situation.

It would have been far better if you had maintained that you wouldn't disclose anything until you "squared it up" with Brett. People may not have liked your answer, but they certainly would've had no doubt about your respect for him and the situation.

Secondly, you didn't do the Packers any favors by sharing how troubled you were and how difficult the situation was — anybody following it probably knew that. Perhaps, you were trying to garner sympathy, but given the circumstances you inadvertently showed that you're not a strong leader. Effective leaders don't show such weakness in the face of adversity, they show strength, genuine concern, humility and resolve. The measure of a leader isn't found in the good times but during the worst possible situations.

Finally, Mr. Thompson you have my respect for the difficult challenges you face. You're dealing with fans whose passion and love for the Packers organization and the game is deeply rooted and whose emotions run very high.

— Mick Hager is a business consultant, author, trainer and professional speaker who has helped more than 200 organizations in the past 20 years improve productivity through effective leadership. Download free resources at www.mickhager.com.

boiga
07-29-2008, 03:04 PM
It would have been far better if you had maintained that you wouldn't disclose anything until you "squared it up" with Brett. People may not have liked your answer, but they certainly would've had no doubt about your respect for him and the situation. I don't get it. Brett call's him a liar, shattered, and panicked about keeping his job, but Ted's not supposed to disclose anything without "squaring up" with brett? That's a rather ugly double standard.

PackerBlues
07-29-2008, 03:04 PM
[quote="mrbojangles"]

But net is that he has to be given some credit for restocking the roster with great young talent, selecting a no-nonsense up and coming coach and generating a team chemistry we haven't seen in a long time. Flat out he'd added not just good atheletes but football players first. Guys that live/breathe/eat/shit this stuff.
quote]

Great........but how many pro bowlers has Thompson brought to the team?

Just wondering, cause I was thinking that just because a guy is left on the roster at the start of the season, it does not neccesarily make the guy a great player. Hell, I'm sure that Harrell lives/breathes/eats/shits football, but he had injuries before he was drafted and still has not panned out.

I also have to question giving that meathead Poppinga a new contract. Why? just to keep him from cryin like a little bitch about the drafting of Chillar? What the hell ever happened to competition being a good thing?

But then Thompson offers a great player that the team actually needs (Grant) an insulting shit contract. :roll:

BallHawk
07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
What is Hager's point? :?:

Bossman641
07-29-2008, 03:14 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/GPG0703/807280547/1247/GPG03

Mr. Thompson, I've been watching how you've handled the "Favre Situation" over the past few weeks, and I want to share some unsolicited advice with you.

Let me be clear, Mr. Thompson, I am a not a "wild and crazy" Packers fan like most here tend to be. I grew up in Green Bay, have respect for the team and its history and am proud to call this place home. Furthermore, I am not taking sides here, whatever the outcome is, it's fine with me.

From a leadership perspective, I was extremely disappointed that you decided to speak out when you did and even more disappointed in some of the things you said. First of all your timing was way off. You need only look to Vince Lombardi for advice on this one.

The greatest man to coach this game would probably have said this to reporters, "I haven't talked to Brett (Favre) and more importantly we haven't squared this thing up yet, so get the *&%$ out of here with your questions until we do."

The point here is: Vince knew when to talk to reporters and when to keep quiet in order to maintain the integrity of a situation.

It would have been far better if you had maintained that you wouldn't disclose anything until you "squared it up" with Brett. People may not have liked your answer, but they certainly would've had no doubt about your respect for him and the situation.

Secondly, you didn't do the Packers any favors by sharing how troubled you were and how difficult the situation was — anybody following it probably knew that. Perhaps, you were trying to garner sympathy, but given the circumstances you inadvertently showed that you're not a strong leader. Effective leaders don't show such weakness in the face of adversity, they show strength, genuine concern, humility and resolve. The measure of a leader isn't found in the good times but during the worst possible situations.

Finally, Mr. Thompson you have my respect for the difficult challenges you face. You're dealing with fans whose passion and love for the Packers organization and the game is deeply rooted and whose emotions run very high.

— Mick Hager is a business consultant, author, trainer and professional speaker who has helped more than 200 organizations in the past 20 years improve productivity through effective leadership. Download free resources at www.mickhager.com.

It was a little difficult for TT and Co. to remain quiet when Brett and his family were spreading rumors all over the place. Not only rumors, but flat out lies. At some point, the organization has to respond. You can't just sit there and continue to allow the other side to spread rumors. The Packers did what they should have: put out a press release detailing the timeline of everything that was said and done. They got their message without bringing in all the emotional bullshit Favre camp has spread.

I don't get how people can badmouth the organization. They've handled this with nothing but class. You can be angry with their decision, but when you look at what side actually handled this correctly there is no question.

Maybe this guy is a business consultant, but the NFL doesn't really work like a real business. If an employee acted like Favre had in any other business, this wouldn't even be an issue. He would have been gone long ago.

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 03:16 PM

It was a little difficult for TT and Co. to remain quiet when Brett and his family were spreading rumors all over the place. Not only rumors, but flat out lies. At some point, the organization has to respond. You can't just sit there and continue to allow the other side to spread rumors. The Packers did what they should have: put out a press release detailing the timeline of everything that was said and done. They got their message without bringing in all the emotional bullshit Favre camp has spread.

I don't get how people can badmouth the organization. They've handled this with nothing but class. You can be angry with their decision, but when you look at what side actually handled this correctly there is no question.

Maybe this guy is a business consultant, but the NFL doesn't really work like a real business. If an employee acted like Favre had in any other business, this wouldn't even be an issue. He would have been gone long ago.

Guess I didn't catch that part.....what did Favre lie about?

SkinBasket
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM

I'll take 13 wins over 13 pro-bowlers on the roster any day. Unless you're really into the outcome of the Pro Bowl, I'm not really sure what relevance winning a popularity contest has to winning games.

I also have to question giving that meathead Poppinga a new contract. Why? just to keep him from cryin like a little bitch about the drafting of Chillar?

*sigh*

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Packers play waiting game
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

GREEN BAY, Wis. – There were no banners pleading with the Packers to bring back Brett Favre. There were no chants of “We Want Brett.”

In fact, there were only a handful of No. 4 jerseys among the few hundred fans around Lambeau Field or by the practice field across the street where the Packers opened training camp Monday.

But if ever there were such a thing as an invisible, 5,000-pound gorilla, its presence could certainly be felt. That was obvious from the deep sigh and almost painful sound of exasperation of Green Bay linebacker Nick Barnett after he was asked what effect the latest round of questions about Favre were having on the team.

By the sound in his voice, you knew it was wearing the team out. Likewise, there was the tense, almost defiant tone of wide receiver Donald Driver.

“We can’t dwell on it because none of us knows what’s going to happen,” Driver said.

There was the “I don’t want to touch that” tone by Al Harris, who repeatedly and politely declined to address the whole mess. There was defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila talking about praying for God to help everyone involved come to a happy resolution. There was the pained look on defensive end Aaron Kampman’s face. Finally, there was the group of 40 or so reporters who spent the entire 30-plus minutes of their time in the locker room camped around quarterback Aaron Rodgers, as if there weren’t pressure enough on Rodgers as it is.

To his credit, Rodgers handled it all with aplomb, smiling to the end. This wasn’t a sideshow, this was the full circus. But at least Rodgers still knew at the end that he was the ring leader, not one of the clowns.

The big question lingers: How long before Favre arrives in Green Bay to put pressure on Packers management to get something done? At the current rate, that’s what it’s going to take for this situation to change.

Only after Favre shows up and creates a stir that coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson don’t want to handle will Thompson be able to budge. That’s because the rest of the NFL knows how this is going to play out.

Or as one other NFL head coach said over the weekend: “What a freakin’ zoo that is.”

Or as another league executive said: “Why trade for the guy right now? First, do you really want to have to kiss his (butt) to get him to play for you? Second, do you really want to pay Green Bay’s price, whatever it is? If I really wanted the guy, I’d just let Favre and the team sweat it out for a couple of more days.”

In his heart, Thompson knows that’s coming. On Monday, he fielded questions for nearly 20 minutes, all but one of them about Favre. When asked about the waiting game that other teams might play, Thompson smiled slyly, as if to acknowledge that he would make that same move himself before playing that off.

“I suppose that’s one way of looking at that. I’m not that smart … but I suppose that’s one way of looking at it,” said Thompson, who at the same time has no plans to release Favre for fear that Favre will sign with Minnesota or another NFC North team.

“Just relinquishing his rights doesn’t make good business sense to me … (it) just doesn’t make a lot of sense from the Packers’ point of view. I have not heard many people say that’s a good option,” said Thompson, ever the analyst. “Even the people who would like to hang me in effigy, they don’t like that option, either.”

Thompson has been in the middle of this maelstrom for weeks now. On Saturday, he said he spoke to Favre twice for at least 45 minutes each time. Over the past weeks and months, Thompson has been the focus of ire from Favre, his family and friends.

To his credit, Thompson has handled that with aplomb, further proving that the real problem in this whole situation is that Favre is too emotional and has too many sycophants around him telling him what he wants to hear.

“This is the National Football League. This is made for grown ups and you can’t be governed by feelings. You can’t be governed because you think someone hurt your feelings. We’re not going to do that. We’re going to be like that. We’re going to take the high road and we’re going to try to make the best decision for the Packers,” Thompson said.

That’s why Thompson really needn’t worry about public backlash over his handling of this situation. Sure, there will always be the Favre-ists who believe No. 4 can do no wrong. But there are plenty of others who see that Favre created this mess, not the Packers.

“As far as I can tell, they didn’t tell him to quit,” said Terry Srebanski, a fan from Green Bay. “He’s been doing this for three or four years now … What do you expect the team to do? Then he starts talking to the Vikings? To heck with him if he wants to do that to us.”

Again, the problem is not necessarily the fans. That showed on Monday at practice and at some recent rallies around Green Bay and in Milwaukee. The first rally in support of Favre attracted a couple of hundred fans. The next in Milwaukee featured roughly 30. The last one at Lambeau featured 60.

That led one member of the media to crack, “They can’t even fill a snack shack with people who want him back that bad.”

Still, in the locker room, the players know the reality: if Favre comes back, the circus continues. Worse yet, Favre could divide the locker room between players who want him out there and management that wants to move on.

McCarthy did a wise thing Sunday night when he talked to the team about Favre. He instructed everyone to consider their thoughts in advance, think about what questions might be asked and, finally, to “speak from the heart.”

By doing that, McCarthy charged his players with responsibility and the freedom to use it. He allowed them to be grown ups.

“It’s extremely complicated and, to be honest with you, I haven’t kept up with all the details,” Kampman said. “It’s just too much and it’s hard if you get caught up in what was said and who’s doing what.

“From my heart, I wish it wouldn’t have come to this point, not even got here. It’s just the reality that there’s a lot of attention being drawn to this. We’ll get through. I don’t know how we’ll get through it, but we will.”

Spaulding
07-29-2008, 03:33 PM
[quote=mrbojangles]

quote]

Just wondering, cause I was thinking that just because a guy is left on the roster at the start of the season, it does not neccesarily make the guy a great player. Hell, I'm sure that Harrell lives/breathes/eats/shits football, but he had injuries before he was drafted and still has not panned out.

I also have to question giving that meathead Poppinga a new contract. Why? just to keep him from cryin like a little bitch about the drafting of Chillar? What the hell ever happened to competition being a good thing?

But then Thompson offers a great player that the team actually needs (Grant) an insulting shit contract. :roll:

I'm not that hung on whose a pro bowler and whose not. Al Harris wasn't better than Woodson last year and yet was a pro bowler. It's a popularity contest in many regards. Granted they have to be pretty good to be considered but you don't need a team of pro-bowlers to win the Super Bowl. How is that we tied for the 2nd best record in the NFL (after the Patriots and equal to the Colts/Cowboys) and yet only had three starters and two reserves. Dallas on the other hand seven starters and five reserves. Do I think they were the better team - at home maybe but at Lambeau nope.

It's a team sport and I'm glad that we have Team first (Kampman, Driver, etc.) players.

Your other points I'm not necessarily disagreeing with, guess I just have more faith that it will work it's way out in the end or that if Harrell busts, another player will step up.

As for Grant, he has no choice but to play. I think he's a stud but given he's never played a full season I don't blame TT for being hesitant to hand him the bank. With the money we have, wish they'd front load the contract with modest annual salaries and that way if he busts although we lose money, it doesn't hurt us down the road.

Fritz
07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I sense a pattern in which the people who don't like TT constantly resort to name-calling ("douche bag")and personal attacks (Ego's in the way!). My own opinion is that this is because they don't have many real examples to support their dislike of the man.

TT is not infallible. As several people have pointed out, he flubbed the guard situation when he got here, though in his defense (Patler has pointed this out) TT did try to renegotiate Wahle's contract but he couldn't come close to what Wahle could do elsewhere, given both Sherman's handling of the salary cap and - some say - Wahle's dislike of Sherman as a coach.

TT has made a questionable first round pick in Harrell. It's not clear yet whether Nick Collins is the guy they need to have back there. Cory Rodgers seemed like a punk. Colledge may be a washout - this is his make or break year.

So there are some points that can be debated in terms of some specific picks. But when others point out the success of TT's system - trade down, get guys you like, not marquee names (passing on Jackson for Jennings, for example), stockpile real players, have a plan and stick with it - some of those who dislike TT often resort to sputtering accusations that don't contain much in the way of logic.

Spaulding
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I sense a pattern in which the people who don't like TT constantly resort to name-calling ("douche bag")and personal attacks (Ego's in the way!). My own opinion is that this is because they don't have many real examples to support their dislike of the man.

TT is not infallible. As several people have pointed out, he flubbed the guard situation when he got here, though in his defense (Patler has pointed this out) TT did try to renegotiate Wahle's contract but he couldn't come close to what Wahle could do elsewhere, given both Sherman's handling of the salary cap and - some say - Wahle's dislike of Sherman as a coach.

TT has made a questionable first round pick in Harrell. It's not clear yet whether Nick Collins is the guy they need to have back there. Cory Rodgers seemed like a punk. Colledge may be a washout - this is his make or break year.

So there are some points that can be debated in terms of some specific picks. But when others point out the success of TT's system - trade down, get guys you like, not marquee names (passing on Jackson for Jennings, for example), stockpile real players, have a plan and stick with it - some of those who dislike TT often resort to sputtering accusations that don't contain much in the way of logic.

Can I get a Jesse Jackson type HALLELUJAH?

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 04:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3508012&sportCat=nfl

Packers say one thing, do another as Favre mess lingers
By Gene Wojciechowski
ESPN.com

So unless he "misremembers" -- to use Roger Clemens' word -- Brett Favre once again confirmed all you need to know about the integrity, or lack of it, of Green Bay Packers management.

First of all, it did the very thing it accuses Favre of doing: It waffled. Actually, general manager Ted Thompson waffled.

A little more than two weeks ago, Thompson said Favre, who mis-retired, could return to the team "as an active member of the Green Bay Packers." Active, as in, on the active roster. But not as the starter.

But the truth is Thompson doesn't want Favre within a Sturgeon Bay of the Packers' training camp. He never did. All that talk of Favre's returning in "some role" was clumsy Thompson propaganda.

The latest proof is in Favre's Sunday interview with ESPN's Chris Mortensen. According to Favre, the quarterback asked Thompson if he'd be "welcome" if he reported to the opening of training camp. A reasonable question.

Thompson, said Favre, "was just about shattered. He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days." (On Monday, Thompson told the media that he interpreted the discussion differently.)

Thompson knows what would have happened if Favre had been issued a helmet and a jersey today. Everybody knows. Favre would have been the best quarterback on the field. Thompson knows what would have happened if Favre had been issued a helmet and a jersey today. Everybody knows. Favre would have been the best quarterback on the field.

Forget the three-ring media circus if Favre had reported. That's the least of Thompson's problems. His backpedaling and then reversal on Favre's supposed "role" with the team is the admission that counts.

Thompson isn't interested in putting the best product on the field. If he were, he'd let Aaron Rodgers, his handpicked successor to Favre, compete for the starting position. Sure, there'd be off-the-charts media and fan scrutiny. Isn't that part of it?

If Rodgers can't handle the pressure of Favre's presence and open competition for the job in July, what makes you think he can handle the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field in December? Thompson isn't interested in putting the best product on the field. If he were, he'd let Aaron Rodgers, his handpicked successor to Favre, compete for the starting position.

At the very least, Thompson should have told Favre: "You want to come back? Fine. I think you're making a mistake, but it's your life and your legacy. If you do come back, it's going to be an open competition for the starting job. I give you my word we'll judge it as objectively as possible. But if Rodgers wins, you're the backup and you can't bitch about it. Deal?"

And at the very most, Thompson could have said: "You gave us 16 great years. Here's your release."

Instead, the Packers are trying to trade their best quarterback. I repeat, their best quarterback. Of course, Favre isn't good enough for them, but he is good enough that the Packers reportedly want a first-round draft pick in exchange for his rights.

This is what I mean by Packers flip-flopping. In March, Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy and assistant coach Tom Clements were telling Favre he could "still play at a high level." But now the Packers don't think he's worth the trouble? Yet they think the negotiations for his rights should start at a first-rounder?

If Thompson can get a second-round pick for Favre, take it. Maybe you add some sort of escalation clause -- if his new team advances to the conference championship game, the second-round pick becomes a first-rounder. I'm just spitballing here.

...Nobody has bungled this situation more than Thompson. From the disingenuous "We Care About Favre's Legacy" stance, to the convenient and false statement that Favre could return to the team, Thompson has written the textbook on mismanagement. The bottom line is this: If you believe in Rodgers as much as you say you do, you trade Favre. And it shouldn't matter where. If NFC North rival Minnesota offers the most comprehensive package, you trade him to Minnesota. If Chicago comes up with the best deal, then off to the Bears he goes. That way you get Favre's name off the roster and draft picks in your pocket. It's a win-win.

Favre didn't do himself or his image any favors by changing his mind on retirement. And he's taken considerable heat for it -- some of it deserved, some of it bordering on the hysterical.

But nobody has bungled this situation more than Thompson. From the disingenuous "We Care About Favre's Legacy" stance, to the convenient and false statement that Favre could return to the team, Thompson has written the textbook on mismanagement.

Thompson keeps insisting the Packers have moved forward, as if the mere act of saying the words makes it true. But until he does one of three things -- trade Favre, release Favre or welcome Favre back -- the Packers aren't moving anywhere, especially forward.

Time to make a decision, Ted. Now it's your legacy at stake.

Bossman641
07-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Guess I didn't catch that part.....what did Favre lie about?

How about the whole "TT pushed Favre out the door" BS that was spewing from Favre camp. Funny how they left out the part about TT and MM welcoming Favre back in March and him backing out, or Favre not committing to football until late July. Even now he has trouble saying he is committed. Claiming that TT and MM rushed Favre, then word coming out that they gave him more time and told him to rethink his decision. The general attitude they have that TT and MM were in a hurry to see him retire and were beating down his door for an answer, when in fact Favre went crying to TT and MM that they had not talked to him recently enough.

I'm so sick of the Favre drama.

I honestly question whether he even wants to play football, or if he is just doing this out of spite.

mission
07-29-2008, 04:24 PM
EGO?

Women shouldn't be allowed to start threads about football...

:cat:

:talk: :talk: :talk:

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 05:03 PM
EGO?

Yeah, you're right, it's a man's sport, only real HE-MEN can appreciate and understand it's complexities........ :roll:

mission
07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Apparently.

I mean, no offense or anything, just observing, noting facts and jumping to conclusions.

You took it well, I was hoping for more fire and brimstone but hey, you had to be thinking "wind up" most of the time anyway.

Tarlam!
07-29-2008, 05:08 PM
PiP, I had no idea you supported Favre so much. You leave the impression with me that you prefer Favre over the actual team. I'm sure I'm wrong.

The articles you're posting all make a bit of a case for your opinion. Ecept, they are full of opinions themselves. I'm sure there are just as many articles that blast Favre's dealings in this mess.

But, your thread critisizes TT's ego.

The immortal Aussie Band Skyhooks had a lot to say about egos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMvpQ50gvI&feature=related

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 07:48 PM
PiP, I had no idea you supported Favre so much. You leave the impression with me that you prefer Favre over the actual team. I'm sure I'm wrong.

The articles you're posting all make a bit of a case for your opinion. Ecept, they are full of opinions themselves. I'm sure there are just as many articles that blast Favre's dealings in this mess.

You know, I've been thinking alot about it lately (apparently) whether I'm a Favre fan or/and a Packer fan. I've come to the conclusion that having to live away from the GB area most of my adult life (grew up in the UP), it was only after Favre came to the Packers, that games started to get televised nationaly. Even before the football package on Direct TV. It was hard being a Packer backer living in AZ, TN, NY and now CT. There aren't too many players in the NFL that when you say their first name, everyone knows exactly who you're talking about. Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers.....it's been one and the same.
Maybe I'm just someone who doesn't like change. I'm one of those that wanted to buy the T-shirt that said 'Got Brett ?' on the front and 'We do' on the back.
I have been and and will always be a Packer fan. And having said that, I would like the Packers to go to the Super Bowl......and I believe Favre gives the Pack the best chance of doing just that.
I don't believe that this situation was handled well....on both sides.
I will say this honestly...........I hope that Rodgers stays healthy and does a good job. If not, it probably won't be 'in effigy' that TT will be hanged.

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 07:58 PM

You know, I've been thinking alot about it lately (apparently) whether I'm a Favre fan or/and a Packer fan. I've come to the conclusion that having to live away from the GB area most of my adult life (grew up in the UP), it was only after Favre came to the Packers, that games started to get televised nationaly. Even before the football package on Direct TV. It was hard being a Packer backer living in AZ, TN, NY and now CT. There aren't too many players in the NFL that when you say their first name, everyone knows exactly who you're talking about. Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers.....it's been one and the same.
Maybe I'm just someone who doesn't like change. I'm one of those that wanted to buy the T-shirt that said 'Got Brett ?' on the front and 'We do' on the back.
I have been and and will always be a Packer fan. And having said that, I would like the Packers to go to the Super Bowl......and I believe Favre gives the Pack the best chance of doing just that.
I will say this honestly...........I hope that Rodgers stays healthy and does a good job. If not, it probably won't be 'in effigy' that TT will be hanged.

We share some similar views PIP; now if you'd just admit BB is the best coach in the NFL and Brady is the best QB in the NFL we'd be all good :lol:
BTW, in about 20 years a man named Brady just might be one of the top picks in the NFL Draft as well.

Cheers,
B

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 08:07 PM

We share some similar views PIP; now if you'd just admit BB is the best coach in the NFL and Brady is the best QB in the NFL we'd be all good :lol:
BTW, in about 20 years a man named Brady just might be one of the top picks in the NFL Draft as well.

Cheers,
B

You know B............in twenty five years there may be several more little Brady's being drafted............with Tommy B's history... :wink:

We may agree on this issue......but, wow..........BB the best coach....that's a stretch I can't make. :lol:

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Cheers,
B

You know B............in twenty five years there may be several more little Brady's being drafted............with Tommy B's history... :wink:

We may agree on this issue......but, wow..........BB the best coach....that's a stretch I can't make. :lol:

20Yrs to be exact; the future HOF is about 6 months old now :lol:

And BB is the best coach[/u]

MJZiggy
07-29-2008, 08:25 PM
EGO?

'scuse me? Somehow this doesn't give me that "well that's just Tony" warm fuzzy.

I have heard the word "ego" come out of more computers owned by men around here--I don't think you want me quoting them all, do you???

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
MJZiggy to the rescue.............what took you so long??!! :wink:

MJZiggy
07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Well I did go get a job remember and it takes a little while to catch up lately for some reason...:mrgreen:

Spaulding
07-29-2008, 09:34 PM

PIP/Bretsky, can't say that we're that far apart in what we believe in. Just a slightly different spin. I agree that this whole fiasco hasn't been handled the best by either side but then it's new territory with a HOF QB wanting to come back after an MVP like season and the organization a little tired of the waffling and moving on at some point. On one hand it's Brett (likely a once in a lifetime player) and on the other hand the he did retire and at some point (be it this year, next year, or the year after) he will be retired for good.

This leads to the ultimate question which Patler had some interesting points on. How exactly provides the best chance for the Packers to win THIS year?

Logic would dictate Brett as he's coming off an MVP like season and is experienced and still has a cannon arm. The actions of the Packers organization suggest otherwise. Their jobs depend on winning (I don't subscribe to the TT ego theory and thus don't buy it's pride that they want to win without Brett) and it appears to be that they believe that Rodgers all things considered provides the best option. I'm guessing that they accept the fact that there will be growing pains but that come playoff time Rodgers minus the turnovers gives them just a great of chance for the Super Bowl. Maybe they are thinking the Brett of 2006 is just as likely as 2007?

Pretty hard to believe but given our lack of playoff success since 1998 who knows. That's where we differ. I trust (unfortunately blindly at times as I have to believe the GM and head coach know a hell of a lot more than I) the organization is doing the utmost to win NOW as well as in the future.

Sorry, feel like Woody with essay like response.

mission
07-29-2008, 10:02 PM
EGO?

'scuse me? Somehow this doesn't give me that "well that's just Tony" warm fuzzy.

I have heard the word "ego" come out of more computers owned by men around here--I don't think you want me quoting them all, do you???

when originally posting and conjuring up such intelligent prose, i had a couple different comments directed at you so you'd know it was a joke (i like you!) but every comment just kinda took away from the ridiculousness of the post.

so i just left it. ridiculous.

basically, you have to picture all my posts as if we were sittin next to each other and i was typing and chucklin and bumpin ya in the shoulder like "har har" ... im playful, you'll see it.

im too cute to be this much of an asshole (and bright to think yall shouldnt be starting threads). it's just fun playin around online.

Chevelle2
09-03-2009, 05:38 PM
This is an amusing read

Pugger
09-03-2009, 06:07 PM
I still scratch my head on why Favre would even hesitate about returning after the 2007 season - unless he wasn't happy for some reason. I mean the Pack was sooo close to the Promised Land and Favre is having a problem returning?? :shock: How come no one talks about THIS? I'm positive if Favre would've told MM a few weeks after the disappointment of the NFC Championship game wore off that he was coming back NONE of this crap would've come to pass! Favre did say at that teary PC that the decision to "retire" that go around was his and his alone. We all bicker over who said what and when but we don't discuss what in the hell would make a guy who professes to want to go to the SB and go out Elway style would 'retire' from a team that was an OT away from the big game?

mission
09-03-2009, 07:02 PM
:oops:

pbmax
09-03-2009, 10:17 PM
"was just about shattered. He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."
I have a hard time believing that any person could say that line seriously to anyone else.

It is especially hard to believe since the scenario the Packers were trying to prevent happened anyway and Thompson is still here.

packerbacker1234
09-03-2009, 10:19 PM
It's going to take more then just this year. I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that we have only 1, count it, 1 winning season under TT and that was in Brett's last GB hurrah.

channtheman
09-04-2009, 04:43 AM
I think if we all relaxed a little and had argued about eggo's we would have had a lot more fun in this whole ordeal. That being said, chocolate are very good.

MOBB DEEP
09-04-2009, 05:40 AM
TT is the man!

MJZiggy
09-04-2009, 06:17 AM
I think if we all relaxed a little and had argued about eggo's we would have had a lot more fun in this whole ordeal. That being said, chocolate are very good.

The problem with that logic is, who doesn't like Eggo's??? Ever had 'em with ice cream on top?

sheepshead
09-04-2009, 07:11 AM
I still scratch my head on why Favre would even hesitate about returning after the 2007 season - unless he wasn't happy for some reason. I mean the Pack was sooo close to the Promised Land and Favre is having a problem returning?? :shock: How come no one talks about THIS? I'm positive if Favre would've told MM a few weeks after the disappointment of the NFC Championship game wore off that he was coming back NONE of this crap would've come to pass! Favre did say at that teary PC that the decision to "retire" that go around was his and his alone. We all bicker over who said what and when but we don't discuss what in the hell would make a guy who professes to want to go to the SB and go out Elway style would 'retire' from a team that was an OT away from the big game?

I go back to his face in the Giants game and the Bears game. He wanted to be home and I didnt want him in there either. He should have rode into the sunset then and there. Its a young mans game and his body and even his head at that time was telling him he's done.

Fritz
09-04-2009, 08:59 AM

The problem with that logic is, who doesn't like Eggo's??? Ever had 'em with ice cream on top?

Eggos are nasty and eggotistical. Aunt Jemima waffles rule!

MadtownPacker
09-04-2009, 02:37 PM
This is an amusing readYoure a real piece of shit. Bumping this just to cause problems. I know your loyalty is with that one piece of crap forum so I dont expect any better from a dumbass college kid. Just wanted to let you know that I find you just as amusing.

SnakeLH2006
09-05-2009, 12:45 AM
I dunno....GM Thomspon looked pretty giddy in his shorts when Jordy came back making a 25 yard grab on the sideline nodding his head and talking some game. GM loves HIS guys no doubt. That's cool, but the hell if I'd trust that SOB even drinking a beer with him.

In a bar..

-Snake: Ted it's your turn to drink.
-Ted: I dunno. My "friend" has not showed up yet.
-Snake: Fuck it...We are all having a good time. Those hotties are looking at us. Drink up.
-Ted: I usually only drink wine at my apartment.
-Snake: Trust me. I got many hotties that will do you.
-Ted: I dunno. My "friend" Todd is stopping over in a bit.
-Snake: (spits drink out)...
-Ted: I stick with what I know. Todd is solid in delivering what I want as a "friend".
-Snake is happy, though, as is Ted. (we tap drinks)
-Mad: (walks by) Fuck both you putos! I started this bar.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 05:41 AM
Snake, MadtownPacker has always been the poster he is. He is a huge reason why JSO was successful and this place became so successful.

Believe me, when I first read his stuff, I was horrified. I wanted to buy a MTP voodoo doll. I was one of his favourite targets.

I will tell you this, though: He is a friend of mine today. I know him personally. I don't know what happened behind the scenes with some posters when PR still belonged to him. There is a rift with some other posters I call friends that really saddens me greatly.

But, everybody from the old JSO days followed him here. And, to complete your history lesson, Harlan started PackerRats. Madtown made it what it became.