PDA

View Full Version : Only two ways out of the impasse

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 12:05 PM
1) Favre accepts that the Packers will never let him out of his contract. Right now, he sees himself as a starting QB on a top-5 team, or at least a Super Bowl contender. He has to lower his expectations before he will compromise.

2) Aaron Rodgers gets hurt. Or a QB on another SB contender goes down.

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 12:07 PM
#2 isn't an option..............Thompson's 'Ego'.....or lack of .....would never let that happen.

retailguy
07-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I thought of a 3rd possibility -

3. GBM runs down Ted later today on the way to his truck, and his replacement promptly trades Aaron Rodgers to the Dolphins...

retailguy
07-29-2008, 12:09 PM
#2 isn't an option..............Thompson's 'Ego'.....or lack of .....would never let that happen.

Sarcasm doesn't work well for you... :wink:

You aren't by chance pissed at the guy, are you? :P

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 12:11 PM

I had to scratch my head pretty vigorously to figure out what you meant. I guess you are saying (in the case of a Rodgers injury) TT would be too proud to take Favre back?

Oh no, he would go to Favre on bended knee, and I think TT and MM have been very careful with their "never say never" remarks to leave open that remote option. It would be zero problem to integrate Favre back into the team.

bobblehead
07-29-2008, 12:13 PM

I think you aren't in tune with TT. He has a huge ego, but if he is as smart as I think he is, he won't let it get in the way of having a backup as talented as favre should favre be able to put his HUGE EGO aside and come to camp in that role.

One thing I can assure you...if rodgers isn't getting the job done and BF is on the bench....well, you don't think MM will lose games over ego do you?

Also, you do realize favre hasn't unretired yet, he can come to camp anytime he wants, then we can actually see what TT would do instead of speculate.

boiga
07-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I had to scratch my head pretty vigorously to figure out what you meant. I guess you are saying (in the case of a Rodgers injury) TT would be too proud to take Favre back?

Oh no, he would go to Favre on bended knee, and I think TT and MM have been very careful with their "never say never" remarks to leave open that remote option. It would be zero problem to integrate Favre back into the team. Agreed.
After all, he did go begging down to Mississippi each of the last two years, begging Favre to come back after pissing Favre off by hiring McCarthy and not getting Moss.

If he was man enough to beg then, I don't see what would be stopping him now.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Right now, a trade as a resolution looks very, very difficult. Favre is probably only interested in being on 2 or 3 teams, including the Packers. The Packers could draw-up a list of 20 teams that work for them.

Possible compromises would be Favre accepting a trade to Tampa Bay type of team. Or Favre accepting the #2 job. Both are out of the question as long as Favre believes he has the better option of becoming a free agent.

mmmdk
07-29-2008, 12:16 PM

Sarcasm doesn't work well for you... :wink:

You aren't by chance pissed at the guy, are you? :P

I was thinking the same thing; don't go whiz in every corner a la Favre. :D

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 12:16 PM

Are you saying he Ain't Too Proud to Beg? I feel a song comin on.

packinpatland
07-29-2008, 12:17 PM

Oh no, he would go to Favre on bended knee, and I think TT and MM have been very careful with their "never say never" remarks to leave open that remote option. It would be zero problem to integrate Favre back into the team. Agreed.
After all, he did go begging down to Mississippi each of the last two years, begging Favre to come back after pissing Favre off by hiring McCarthy and not getting Moss.

Give me a break...........he may have gone down there, but I doubt he begged. Ever since he drafted Rodgers, he's been waiting for this moment.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Give me a break...........he may have gone down there, but I doubt he begged. Ever since he drafted Rodgers, he's been waiting for this moment.

yes, but the scenario is that Rodgers has an owey.

bobblehead
07-29-2008, 12:19 PM

How did you ever get dubbed sophisticated rat? You are whiney pissed I didn't get my way rat....wait, that describes most social aristocrats, never mind.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 12:22 PM
bobblehead, why go to personal attacks.

boiga
07-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Edit: harlan's got a point, bh

Give me a break...........he may have gone down there, but I doubt he begged. Ever since he drafted Rodgers, he's been waiting for this moment. My point is that he went down to Mississippi and did whatever it took to keep Favre on the roster. That probably included some false promises, some stoking of Favre's ego, and yes, some groveling.

But he did what it took then, so I don't see what would be stopping him if he needed to do it again.

Favre was just surprised this year that when Ted showed on his yearly summer visit to hattiesberg, it was to talk about the locker and not to beg him to come back for the 3rd year running. Part of me wonders if he'd started taking that annual ritual for granted.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Favre was just surprised this year that when Ted showed on his yearly summer visit to hattiesberg, it was to talk about the locker and not to beg him to come back for the 3rd year running.

Thanks for the tidbit of information! I am fixated by that locker story, new details always welcome.

MTPackerfan
07-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Did anyone consider that possibility that Thompson wanted Favre to wait a few days to report in the off chance that Rodgers sucked so bad in TC, they would then be glad to have Brett back? Or am I really getting into all these conspiracy theories? :lol:

boiga
07-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Did anyone consider that possibility that Thompson wanted Favre to wait a few days to report in the off chance that Rodgers sucked so bad in TC, they would then be glad to have Brett back? Or am I really getting into all these conspiracy theories? :lol:You're probably getting into them a little much.

My thinking is that Ted didn't want Brett there on Monday because McCarthy wanted to give the team a chance for team unity before Brett potentially incites division. The team showed up, McCarthy told them that Rodgers was their QB, and that was that. That speech would have been awkward as hell with Brett standing in the back of the room.

Now, even if Favre shows up, he will be the outsider coming into a preestablished group dynamic. Thanks to this move, there will be no team division and everyone is supporting Rodgers.

So, no matter what Ted had to tell Brett to get it to happen, the team got what it needed: a buffer between Brett and the Packers team unity.

Patler
07-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Favre was just surprised this year that when Ted showed on his yearly summer visit to hattiesberg, it was to talk about the locker and not to beg him to come back for the 3rd year running.

Thanks for the tidbit of information! I am fixated by that locker story, new details always welcome.

I think the locker is the hang-up for Favre's return. Favre has refused to hang his smelly uniform in anything but his old locker (being superstitious and all). The Packers have already installed a new locker in place of the old one. With the team already in camp, the maintenance crew can only work a few hours every night to make the switch, and that could displace a couple players a few days.

It simply will be much easier to re-install the old locker later in camp, after players have been cut and the locker room isn't so crowded. TT is insisting on it. Favre is mad. I think their rift will all blow over after the old one is re-installed (the old locker AND the old QB!). If only they hadn't "retired" the old ones!