PDA

View Full Version : Murphy heads south, asking Favre to stay home

Pages : 1 [2]

Zool
07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Why am i picturing the end of Spies Like Us with Dan Ackroyd and Chevy Chase playing Trivial Pursuit for control of Eastern Europe?

Zool
07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I thought that was what it was, too? The 08-09 season and the 09-10 season.

He's got 3/39 left on his contract. 08, 09, 10.

Fritz
07-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Nothing interesting here....but the GBPG just put this out......

11:45 a.m. update: Favre's agent meeting with Murphy

Hattiesburg American • July 30, 2008

HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Several media outlets are currently camped out at the office of Brett Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, as the two met with Green Bay Packers’ President and CEO Mark Murphy behind closed doors this morning.
Advertisement

When approached after the workout, Favre told the Hattiesburg American, “I’m late for a 9 o’clock meeting and I’m not lying.”

Favre had just finished running the stadium bleachers with his wife, Deanna.

A spokesperson in Cook’s office confirmed that a meeting between Murphy, Favre and Cook was planned but stressed that no further comments would be forthcoming. The spokesperson said the parties involved would “probably be meeting for most of the day.”

Murphy flew into Hattiesburg late Tuesday night for discussions aimed at keeping Favre out of the Packers’ training camp until the sticky situation can be resolved.

After this morning’s training camp practice, Coach Mike McCarthy said he hasn’t spoken to Favre and is leaving the situation in the hands of Murphy and GM Ted Thompson, so he can focus on football.

Favre, who announced his retirement in March, approached the Packers earlier this month about returning but was rebuffed by team officials who had made a decision to name Aaron Rodgers as the No. 1 quarterback.

Favre still has two years remaining on his current contract with the Packers and has not been given a release by the team. On Tuesday, Favre sent officials paperwork to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell applying for reinstatement. Once Goodell approves the application, Favre is free to report to training camp.

Okay, it's probably just me - I always seem to find one or two really quirky lines that I feel are significant. For example, last week in an article the writer mentioned in passing that Roger Goodell was not available for comment because he was in Iraq. WTF?? What is that dude doing in Iraq? Entertaining the troops by explaining the new tuck rule?

Now, I see that Favre was working out - climbing stadium bleachers sounds like rugged work - but he's doing it with Deanna.

Okay. I'll grant you that she could probably kick my ass up one side and down the other of any stadium bleachers in the country. She's probably in better shape than 80% of the posters on this site. But Favre is an NFL QB, man. So he's been working out with a high school team and running the bleachers with his wife, and we're all feaked out that he's going to go to Minnesota and throw 30 td's and 10 interceptions? The more this goes on, the more I think Favre's comeback is going to be greatly disappointing - for him, and for his fans.

Man, I love that guy. Hall of Fame. Classy the way he handled so much sadness and tough times in his life. Not a media savvy b.s.er - a regular guy. I'm so, so sad at how it's all coming down. And now I wish they could work out a trade.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Man, I love that guy. Hall of Fame. Classy the way he handled so much sadness and tough times in his life. Not a media savvy b.s.er - a regular guy. I'm so, so sad at how it's all coming down. And now I wish they could work out a trade.

Agreed.

packers11
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
pft.com

PLANE LEAVING HATTIESBURG FOR GREEN BAY
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 30, 2008, 3:57 p.m.
A plane is scheduled to leave the airport in Brett Favre’s off-season hometown of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, this afternoon, bound for Green Bay.

A reader reminded us that the web site FlightAware.com makes air travel easy to track, and sure enough, we checked the records for Hattiesburg Muni Airport and found a flight that is scheduled to depart at 4:10 p.m. and arrive at Austin Straubel International Airport in Green Bay at 6:20 p.m.

What we don’t know is who will be on board: Packers president Mark Murphy, getting back to work after wrapping up today’s meeting with Favre? Or Favre, on his way to report to training camp tomorrow?

We do know that it’s not the same plane that Murphy took from Green Bay to Hattiesburg last night. That plane has already left Hattiesburg and is currently en route to Pueblo, Colorado.

Cheesehead Craig
07-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Favre had just finished having sex under the stadium bleachers with his wife, Deanna.

Just fixed that for you.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 03:46 PM
pft.com

PLANE LEAVING HATTIESBURG FOR GREEN BAY
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 30, 2008, 3:57 p.m.
A plane is scheduled to leave the airport in Brett Favre’s off-season hometown of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, this afternoon, bound for Green Bay.

A reader reminded us that the web site FlightAware.com makes air travel easy to track, and sure enough, we checked the records for Hattiesburg Muni Airport and found a flight that is scheduled to depart at 4:10 p.m. and arrive at Austin Straubel International Airport in Green Bay at 6:20 p.m.

What we don’t know is who will be on board: Packers president Mark Murphy, getting back to work after wrapping up today’s meeting with Favre? Or Favre, on his way to report to training camp tomorrow?

We do know that it’s not the same plane that Murphy took from Green Bay to Hattiesburg last night. That plane has already left Hattiesburg and is currently en route to Pueblo, Colorado.
Good god Florio. Don't you have anything else to report on?

boiga
07-30-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/PKR01/80730042/1954/PKR03

3:45 p.m. update: NFL won't reinstate Favre today

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell did not reinstate Brett Favre to the NFL today because he wants to give the Green Bay Packers and their retired quarterback more time to work out a solution to their impasse over Favre's possible return.
Advertisement

“The commissioner is taking no action today,” league spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail. “He wants to give both the Packers and Brett an appropriate amount of time to make decisions, including decisions impacting the team's roster and salary cap. When Brett is reinstated by the commissioner, we will announce it.”Look's like we got a reprieve.

Spaulding
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
He wants to play. Let him play. Does Goodell honestly think this will end up with a Brett Favre saying, sorry guys for all the drama, the Packers brass has finally convinced me to stay retired?

Once he files the papers, the ball starts rolling and we get this mess over with. Right or wrong, it just needs to be over.