PDA

View Full Version : Murphy heads south, asking Favre to stay home

Pages : [1] 2

packers11
07-29-2008, 10:08 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080729/PKR01/80729136/1058

July 29, 2008

Murphy heads south, asking Favre to stay home

By Rob Demovsky and Pete Dougherty
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com, pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers on Tuesday night sent team president and CEO Mark Murphy on a private plane to visit Brett Favre in Mississippi in an attempt to persuade the quarterback to stay home rather than report to training camp this week.

A source told the Press-Gazette that Murphy will meet Wednesdazy morning with Favre and his agent, Bus Cook, at Cook’s law office in Hattiesburg, Miss.

“They’re asking him not to come up there,” the source said. “They don’t want him up there.”

Today's earlier story

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has faxed his reinstatement paperwork to the NFL and is awaiting approval from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, team and league officials confirmed today.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy confirmed Favre's move this afternoon, as did NFL spokesman Randall Liu.

McCarthy took a barrage of Favre questions from reporters after practice and said the team will move forward as soon as the reinstatement is finalized.

"He has not yet been reinstated," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Press-Gazette in an e-mail. "We received his letter at 5 p.m. The commissioner will take no action this evening."

The Packers issued this one-sentence statement shortly before 5:30 p.m.: "We have been advised that a letter of reinstatement has been received by the league office. As with all matters like these, any questions should be referred to the commissioner’s office."

Once Favre is granted reinstatement, a step considered a formality, the Packers will have 24 hours to release Favre or return him to their active roster.

General Manager Ted Thompson has said the team will not release Favre.

ESPN first reported that Favre sent the letter earlier today.

packers11
07-29-2008, 10:12 PM
how stupid are the packers? you finally send people down there to try to calm the situation down... Sorry, its a little to late, I think Favre is coming to camp...

gbpackfan
07-29-2008, 10:14 PM
This is just getting stupid. The Packers AND Favre are becoming (if they aren't already) the joke of the NFL. Now they are sending Murphy down there to tell him to stay home? Good lord. Either trade the man or get him back him back in GB. I hate that Favre flip-flopped over his retirement. And I think he handled this whole thing poorly. But what's done is done. Make the trade or welcome him back. Pick an option and MOVE ON!

mission
07-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Who are these sources? Where does this shit come from? Who extrapolates all this "content" from situations that are "*going to*" happen.

The media is just continuing to disgust me.

Rastak
07-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Wow, I agree with gbpackfan!

Let the guy into camp and if nobody wants him, cut him.

Sending the team president down to tell a surefire HOF QB to stay the hell away while squating on his rights? Man, I would never have proposed such a crazy story in a million years.

RIPackerFan
07-29-2008, 10:18 PM
This is an area where I think Goodell needs to get involved.

I have to believe that with their past - Favre is not going to believe that the Pack is trying to get things done. He believes that TT told him he was going to get the Moss deal done, but then messed around until Moss found another team. He gave TT a few days to find a trade - but it hasn't happened. I have to believe he is going to show up regardless.

The Pack cannot afford him at camp - regardless of what anyone wants to believe. The media alone will be a circus - and what happens if Favre is consistently outperforming Rogers....the media will report on it, the fans will start to get pissed (since most fans want the best team), and some of the players will start to question why Favre isn't getting a chance. It will prevent the team from focusing on preparing for the season....and that will hurt the team.

Therefore, Goodell needs to get involved and broker a deal - a time period that Favre does not show up - where the Pack can try to get the best deal. He would demand that Favre give the Pack a list of three teams to trade - and if that time period goes by without a trade to one of the teams that Favre mentioned - Favre would get his release. Of course, this would have to be confidential, with Goodell telling Favre if he says anything, he won't reinstate him - and see what happens.

MJZiggy
07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I love that last line..."ESPN first reported that Favre sent the letter earlier today."

boiga
07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I don't get this one either.

I can see why they wouldn't want Brett at camp, but this seems futile. It's also a sign of how bad the situation is that they had to send down the guy he only met 6 months ago, and they're meeting at a lawyers office.

The only possibility I can imagine, is that this is blackmail

If the Packers are going to threaten to release all the real reasons they don't want Brett on the team but don't want to risk exposure to the media, this would be the move to make.

Otherwise, this is nuts.

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080729/PKR01/80729136/1058

July 29, 2008

Murphy heads south, asking Favre to stay home

By Rob Demovsky and Pete Dougherty
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com, pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers on Tuesday night sent team president and CEO Mark Murphy on a private plane to visit Brett Favre in Mississippi in an attempt to persuade the quarterback to stay home rather than report to training camp this week.

A source told the Press-Gazette that Murphy will meet Wednesdazy morning with Favre and his agent, Bus Cook, at Cook’s law office in Hattiesburg, Miss.

“They’re asking him not to come up there,” the source said. “They don’t want him up there.”

Today's earlier story

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has faxed his reinstatement paperwork to the NFL and is awaiting approval from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, team and league officials confirmed today.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy confirmed Favre's move this afternoon, as did NFL spokesman Randall Liu.

McCarthy took a barrage of Favre questions from reporters after practice and said the team will move forward as soon as the reinstatement is finalized.

"He has not yet been reinstated," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Press-Gazette in an e-mail. "We received his letter at 5 p.m. The commissioner will take no action this evening."

The Packers issued this one-sentence statement shortly before 5:30 p.m.: "We have been advised that a letter of reinstatement has been received by the league office. As with all matters like these, any questions should be referred to the commissioner’s office."

Once Favre is granted reinstatement, a step considered a formality, the Packers will have 24 hours to release Favre or return him to their active roster.

General Manager Ted Thompson has said the team will not release Favre.

ESPN first reported that Favre sent the letter earlier today.

ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC IF TRUE

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 10:23 PM

Sending the team president down to tell a surefire HOF QB to stay the hell away while squating on his rights? Man, I would never have proposed such a crazy story in a million years.

:knll:

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 10:26 PM
WTMJ- PACKER FLAGSHIP...JUST REPORTED MURPHY ON PLANE TO SPEAK WITH FAVRE

WHY THE HELL is Mark Murphy, who hardly knows Favre doing this ?????

:bs: :bs2: :bs: :bs2: :bs: :bs2: :bs: :bs2:

RIPackerFan
07-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Too many bridges burned with TT and MM.

HowardRoark
07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
This is an area where I think Goodell needs to get involved.

I have to believe that with their past - Favre is not going to believe that the Pack is trying to get things done. He believes that TT told him he was going to get the Moss deal done, but then messed around until Moss found another team. He gave TT a few days to find a trade - but it hasn't happened. I have to believe he is going to show up regardless.

The Pack cannot afford him at camp - regardless of what anyone wants to believe. The media alone will be a circus - and what happens if Favre is consistently outperforming Rogers....the media will report on it, the fans will start to get pissed (since most fans want the best team), and some of the players will start to question why Favre isn't getting a chance. It will prevent the team from focusing on preparing for the season....and that will hurt the team.

Therefore, Goodell needs to get involved and broker a deal - a time period that Favre does not show up - where the Pack can try to get the best deal. He would demand that Favre give the Pack a list of three teams to trade - and if that time period goes by without a trade to one of the teams that Favre mentioned - Favre would get his release. Of course, this would have to be confidential, with Goodell telling Favre if he says anything, he won't reinstate him - and see what happens.

Might as well forget his idea then.

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't think Favre trusts TT to try to deal him in good faith

This is completely half ass and I hope Favre calls them on it and shows up. That is what will make the TT act un turtle like

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
i cant take any more. playn with my emotions smokie....

RIPackerFan
07-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Boiga - what type of blackmail do you think they could have that is so bad that it would keep Favre from coming back?

And by the way, I think having the meeting at a lawyers' office, with each sides' attorneys present, is the worst place to blackmail.....it is illegal you know.

Bretsky
i cant take any more. playn with my emotions smokie....

mine as well; almost to the point where I'm ok with the release just to end it

Patler
Doesn't surprise me one bit. It is now perfectly clear, Favre will never again play in GB. This is simply the other side of the thread I started about if Favre should even be allowed to practice.

Murphy is there telling him that they will trade him, but no body wants to deal for him right now so it could take a few weeks. He is probably explaining that if they release him, it will not be until the final cutdown; but he will not be on the final roster.

RIPackerFan
07-29-2008, 10:36 PM
I hope Murphy says more than that - Brett has all the power then. They are showing that they are scared of him coming to camp.....what would he agree to waiting until the final cut-down date when he knows that he could just cause them the headache they are fearing.

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Doesn't surprise me one bit. It is now perfectly clear, Favre will never again play in GB. This is simply the other side of the thread I started about if Favre should even be allowed to practice.

Murphy is there telling him that they will trade him, but no body wants to deal for him right now so it could take a few weeks. He is probably explaining that if they release him, it will not be until the final cutdown; but he will not be on the final roster.

Absolutely why FAVRE should show up

Why should Favre trust them to make a deal in good faith

Does it hurt Favre if it takes a few weeks ? ABSOLUTELY. But Green Bay does not care. Which is why Favre should show up or continue to request his release.

THIS IS GOING TO GET UGLY

falco
07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
WWBHD???

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 10:38 PM
WWBHD???

What does this mean ?

And why the hell are they sending Murphy down now; did their repeated attempts to keep him retired fail so now they are taking action ????

Farley Face
07-29-2008, 10:39 PM
WWBHD???

What does this mean ?

And why the hell are they sending Murphy down now; did their repeated attempts to keep him retired fail so now they are taking action ????

What Would Bob Harlan Do

MJZiggy
07-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Actually, B, I agree with you, but for a different reason than you're posting. Favre should show up to camp, go through his physical (you don't fail a player you're trying to trade) and then do his conditioning tests to show any team that might be interested that he is in shape (provided he is) and maybe for once use the media for some good and get them to announce his condition to the whole NFL and speed this whole trade along if that's where we're headed.

boiga
07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Boiga - what type of blackmail do you think they could have that is so bad that it would keep Favre from coming back?

And by the way, I think having the meeting at a lawyers' office, with each sides' attorneys present, is the worst place to blackmail.....it is illegal you know.I have no idea. All I know is that going down to beg makes no sense.

The only way they could expect this move to have any success whatsoever is if they have a stick as well as a carrot. The Packers have avoided disparaging Favre in anyway, not matter what he says or does. This could be the last move they make before they take the gloves off. No matter what Bretsky says, the packers haven't risked saying anything that would tarnish Favre's legacy.

If they decide that protecting Brett is no longer worth it, well... Favre had a long history here. He was at that party with Chmura, he was a alcoholic and drug addict, he's a declining star, there could be much there.

But wow would that be ugly.

Patler
07-29-2008, 10:44 PM

Does it hurt Favre if it takes a few weeks ? ABSOLUTELY. But Green Bay does not care. Which is why Favre should show up or continue to request his release.

By showing up he will not make them trade him any faster. It will just get more uncomfortable for everyone, including Favre.

The Packers have no choice but to eventually move him by trade or release. It will happen when the Packers find the deal adequate, or at the final cutdown. Favre will not change that by coming to GB.

Chevelle2
07-29-2008, 10:45 PM

By showing up he will not make them trade him any faster. It will just get more uncomfortable for everyone, including Favre.

The Packers have no choice but to eventually move him by trade or release. It will happen when the Packers find the deal adequate, or at the final cutdown. Favre will not change that by coming to GB.

Exactly. Mort said this was a real possibility on SC tonight, and he was right.

digitaldean
07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Good God Almighty is this getting sickening! :x

One of Murphy's biggest initial acts as president is to fly down to Miss to beg him not to come back?! WTF?!?!

This has gone beyond stupid. If you are going to trade him, fine. But you know what, bring him to training camp. Don't act like your afraid of having him there!

The Packers had the upper hand on this and now are just mishandling this. Up to this point, I've backed them. But if you are going to do subterfuge like this, you are waving the proverbial white flag.

If I'm Tampa or any other potential trading partner, I'd sit tight. Why would I invest in this if I could get him for a cheaper price? They can't wait till the beginning of the season, but they could wait another 7-10 days.

After listening to that Schefter beatdown of Rich Eisen on NFLN and reading this stuff, man I need a beer!

falco
07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
i've strongly backed the packers organization to this point, but I have to wonder if they couldn't have resolved this by now

Jimx29
07-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Murphy will meet Wednesdazy morning

*looks at calender with confusion* http://i33.tinypic.com/122kpso.gif

Patler
i've strongly backed the packers organization to this point, but I have to wonder if they couldn't have resolved this by now

How?

You can't trade a player by yourself. Some team has to want him. As soon as the injuries start, demand for Favre will go up.

Lurker64
I think there's a few things Murphy could explain to Favre which will hopefully allow this situation to be diffused if Favre cooperates:

1) There is no chance whatsoever that the Packers will release Brett Favre from his contract. If it comes to paying him and using a roster spot until his contract expires they will do so. If Favre comes to camp and tries to generate a disturbance or apply pressure on the organization, he will be fined and/or suspended to the extent that the Packers are allowed to do so.

2) If Favre comes to camp, he will not be allowed to compete for the starting job. Period, end of sentence. If Favre is in camp and lobbies for a shot to compete publicly, he will be suspended and/or fined as is appropriate.

3) The Packers are sincere in their desire to trade Favre, but his value in a trade is very, very low right now. In fact, right now I believe his value is around a 5th or a 6th round pick. The Packers will not trade him for a 5th or a 6th round pick, and in order to increase the value they will need Favre to cooperate. This requires Favre to stop asking for his release since he will not be released, no matter what and to give the organization a list of teams he would like to be traded to, and to honestly show an interest in at least some of these teams.

If Murphy is heading to Mississippi right not to make these things crystal clear to him, that's not necessarily inappropriate.

If they are sincere in their desire to trade him, they're not going to let him practice anyway (i.e. they're not going to have him doing anything while he's on the practice field, due to a risk of injury), so there'd be no reason for him to report to camp.

BallHawk
07-29-2008, 10:53 PM
If Murphy is going down to straighten out some issues or shed some new light in the situation to Favre than I see the trip as worthwhile.

However, if he's just going down there on his hands and knees, asking Favre to stay home, well.....that's just pathetic.

You can't let a player hijack a franchise like this. It's bad for all parties involved.

digitaldean
07-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Lurker,

I hope to God that's what Murphy is going do.

Other wise the whole organization will look inept (rightly or wrongly).

On the flip side, I keep hearing from Peter King's interviews with the local GB media that he's a non-confrontational guy. If that's true, let's hope he is able to see what this will do to the team.

boiga
Lurker, I like your theory more than mine.

I hope you're right.

Bretsky
I think there's a few things Murphy could explain to Favre which will hopefully allow this situation to be diffused if Favre cooperates:

1) There is no chance whatsoever that the Packers will release Brett Favre from his contract. If it comes to paying him and using a roster spot until his contract expires they will do so. If Favre comes to camp and tries to generate a disturbance or apply pressure on the organization, he will be fined and/or suspended to the extent that the Packers are allowed to do so.

2) If Favre comes to camp, he will not be allowed to compete for the starting job. Period, end of sentence. If Favre is in camp and lobbies for a shot to compete publicly, he will be suspended and/or fined as is appropriate.

3) The Packers are sincere in their desire to trade Favre, but his value in a trade is very, very low right now. In fact, right now I believe his value is around a 5th or a 6th round pick. The Packers will not trade him for a 5th or a 6th round pick, and in order to increase the value they will need Favre to cooperate. This requires Favre to stop asking for his release since he will not be released, no matter what and to give the organization a list of teams he would like to be traded to, and to honestly show an interest in at least some of these teams.

If Murphy is heading to Mississippi right not to make these things crystal clear to him, that's not necessarily inappropriate.

If they are sincere in their desire to trade him, they're not going to let him practice anyway (i.e. they're not going to have him doing anything while he's on the practice field, due to a risk of injury), so there'd be no reason for him to report to camp.

After an outsider like Murphy maps out #1 and #2, Favre and his agent will probably be laughing at point three.

The two sides have no trust of each other. WHY would Favre believe any sincerity in #3 when he already feels deceived ?

Favre should report :!:

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Favre should report... and WTF... aha im laughing at that stupid proposal... you cant suspend a guy for showing up to practice and/or talking to the media about playing more.. Favre would have to do a hell of a lot more than that for anything to happen to the guy...

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 10:59 PM

This is where we disagree; Green Bay does not want a circus. Green Bay wants this all to go away and Favre helps them out by not coming to camp.

Favre shows up and TT will move faster IMO

Favre does not trust TT; if I were him I probably would not either.

Coming to camp is his only card to push TT to move him fast so he can be given a fair shake at competing for a job

The longer TT sits on this the harder it is for Favre to play......which is what they want.

Bus IMO will be smarter than this; he will demand a date/deadline of a trade or a release and if they don't no way do they comply

packers11
07-29-2008, 11:01 PM
He already gave the turtle until Wednesday...

He told them since June 20 "Give me my helmet or give me my release"

WHAT THE FUCK IS TAKING THE PACKERS SO LONG...

Keep him or CUT HIM... No team is going to give up shit now, they see the mess BOTH parties created...

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 11:01 PM
TT and the Packers are in a bind, wowzers have the tables turned....

Patler
07-29-2008, 11:04 PM
One of Murphy's biggest initial acts as president is to fly down to Miss to beg him not to come back?! WTF?!?!

I think you all have this wrong. If I am Murphy, there is no begging going on. The conversation would go something like this:

"Brett, we own you until WE decide that we don't. You are NOT going to change this in any way, shape or form. Now you can come to GB and make life miserable for yourself and your friends like DD, Clifton, Tauscher and others who will be harassed continually. Or, you can stay here with your wife and family until we get this done.

"Remember, if you come to GB you will do only what we ask you to, when we ask you to.

"Right now, NO ONE WANTS YOU. You have professed to understand the business side of these issues. Well, now its your turn to experience the uncomfortable part. Do the right thing for everyone involved, including yourself.

"Believe me, we want to be rid of you as much as you want to be rid of us. Divorces are messy only when people make it that way. This does not have to get worse than it already is. We will make this happen as soon as possible. We have no choice in that regard. We know you want to be in camp with your new team ASAP, and we will do that if we can. But it may not happen until September, and that's just the way it is.

Now, what AFC teams are you willing to go to?"

packers11
07-29-2008, 11:06 PM
We know you want to be in camp with your new team ASAP, and we will do that if we can. But it may not happen until September, and that's just the way it is.

Then he responds...

"Go fuck yourself, ill see you there tomorrow"

If Murphy tries to bully / tell Favre what to do, that's only going to get him more pissed and Favre will go to training camp and create a circus just to stick it to them...

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 11:08 PM
i guess this is that grand plan mm was talkn bout huh???

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 11:08 PM

I think you all have this wrong. If I am Murphy, there is no begging going on. The conversation would go something like this:

"Brett, we own you until WE decide that we don't. You are NOT going to change this in any way, shape or form. Now you can come to GB and make life miserable for yourself and your friends like DD, Clifton, Tauscher and others who will be harassed continually. Or, you can stay here with your wife and family until we get this done.

"Remember, if you come to GB you will do only what we ask you to, when we ask you to.

"Right now, NO ONE WANTS YOU. You have professed to understand the business side of these issues. Well, now its your turn to experience the uncomfortable part. Do the right thing for everyone involved, including yourself.

"Believe me, we want to be rid of you as much as you want to be rid of us. Divorces are messy only when people make it that way. This does not have to get worse than it already is. We will make this happen as soon as possible. We have no choice in that regard. We know you want to be in camp with your new team ASAP, and we will do that if we can. But it may not happen until September, and that's just the way it is.

Dear Mark Murphy,

I have little to no trust in you, who I hardly know, or the guys that you say are so diligently trying to move me.

I am coming to camp and I know it's going to be uncomfortable, but it's the only way I know if that will put a rush on your desire...if that is what you care to call it...to move me.

I've given you a few days and for every day you sit on your ass and don't make something happen, my ability to play is lessened.

So tell the Turtle to get something down or give me a release.

Thanks for coming, don't let the door hit you in the ass, and I'll see you tomorrow in Green Bay.

Patler
07-29-2008, 11:09 PM
TT and the Packers are in a bind, wowzers have the tables turned....

Not a bit.

No matter how much of a mess it is for all of August, it will barely be remembered by December if the Packers are headed back to the playoffs.

Nothing has changed.

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 11:10 PM
i guess this is that grand plan mm was talkn bout huh???

ONE WOULD THINK THIS PLAN COULD HAVE BEEN IMPLEMENTED ALREADY

Instead they were doing what they could to talk him out of playing

This was really the plan once the papers were filed ??? :?:

digitaldean
07-29-2008, 11:10 PM

If that's the case, great. I hope that once and for all they shatter this fairy tale that Favre and others have that he should be just released. Guess what it's a business, the employees don't call the shots, no matter how much you've done for the team. (try doing that in the real world)

Patler
07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
We know you want to be in camp with your new team ASAP, and we will do that if we can. But it may not happen until September, and that's just the way it is.

Then he responds...

"Go fuck yourself, ill see you there tomorrow"

If Murphy tries to bully / tell Favre what to do, that's only going to get him more pissed and Favre will go to training camp and create a circus just to stick it to them...

...and it will not help him one little bit if he does.

packers11
07-29-2008, 11:12 PM
“My love for him is different than any other guy in the locker room. I’m glad he signed the papers and decided to come back for another year.”

- Donald Driver

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=777833

boiga
07-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Here's the JSO article:http: www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=777838

It's got some interesting bits:

-Murphy's acting like he's a super spy "I can't talk here," he says.

-Brett hasn't been working out with his trainer this summer

-He refuses to talk to the Bucs or Jets

digitaldean
07-29-2008, 11:15 PM
No matter how much Favre is frustrated with this situation, it'd be easier on the team if he tried to resolve this amicably.

If he goes back to talking through the media, it's just going to make things worse and make it harder to move him. If the Packers are that adamant about not releasing him, then it's in his own best interests to not fuel this fire.

packers11
07-29-2008, 11:17 PM
almost there...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/HTL599/history/20080730/0125Z/KGRB/KHBG

:wink:

Patler
07-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Dear Mark Murphy,

I have little to no trust in you, who I hardly know, or the guys that you say are so diligently trying to move me.

I am coming to camp and I know it's going to be uncomfortable, but it's the only way I know if that will put a rush on your desire...if that is what you care to call it...to move me.

I've given you a few days and for every day you sit on your ass and don't make something happen, my ability to play is lessened.

Thanks for coming, don't let the door hit you in the ass, and I'll see you tomorrow in Green Bay.

Dear Brett Favre;

I don't give a rats ass if you trust me or not. We own you until we say we don't. That's a fact.

If you had half a brain in your head you would know deals like this can't be made in a couple days. They take time, yours will too.

How's you penmanship? When you get to GB you will be holding a clipboard and taking notes, and playing about as much as you did in Atlanta.

We can take the heat and weather the storm. Come if you must, but it will not change anything. We can't trade you until someone wants you, and right now no one does.

See you in Green Bay.

BallHawk
07-29-2008, 11:20 PM
almost there...

That is a cool site right there. Bookmarked.

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Dear Mark Murphy,

Dear Brett Favre;

I don't give a rats ass if you trust me or not. We own you until we say we don't. That's a fact.

If you had half a brain in your head you would know deals like this can't be made in a couple days. They take time, yours will too.

How's you penmanship? When you get to GB you will be holding a clipboard and taking notes, and playing about as much as you did in Atlanta.

We can take the heat and weather the storm. Come if you must, but it will not change anything. We can't trade you until someone wants you, and right now no one does.

See you in Green Bay.

Dear Mark Murphy,

Yes, congrats on your ownership; your threats carry as much weight as they clipboard you threaten to have me hold. If nobody wants me feel free to release me. Otherwise make a deal happen. Your threats are comical as your tone. Be sure that pen works so I can make some nice suggestions in practice.

Care to ride back with me on the plane tomorrow ?

Cheers,
Brett

digitaldean
almost there...

HOLY CRAP.

Let's see if it makes any detours......

GrnBay007
almost there...

LOL too funny!

OMG, this whole thing is too weird....it's like the something out of the twilight zone. This team is going to this extent to keep a HOF QB from showing up to camp? It's sounds so ridiculous.

TT, MM, Favre and Rodgers sit in TT's nice cushy office and make peace and get on with the season. Dang, the Packers got money, make Rodgers some nice deal (extra cash to stick around) and play with both of them. Really, with the way this team is set up is there any way they could not make it all the way with both of them there???

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2008, 11:25 PM
almost there...

lol

packers11
almost there...

HOLY CRAP.

Let's see if it makes any detours......

Could go pick up Goddell...

How bout Randy Moss???

nah... maybe Childress? :twisted:

Or... Mooch from NFL Network studios... :)

Pacopete4
We can't trade you until someone wants you, and right now no one does.

See you in Green Bay.

You really dont think its that simple, do you?... NO ONE WILL EVER TRADE FOR HIM KNOWING HE MIGHT BE RELEASE... its just not "good business"... do you get that concept?...

digitaldean
Patler and B duking it out....

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 11:29 PM
THE PLANE HAS LANDED!!.. where do you think he's stayin?

MadtownPacker
07-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Stunning development.

Like Dean said, this might be where the management's cookie starts to crumble. I can't believe this is happening man. Really messed up. Favre was being an ass and disrespectful while TT played it smooth. But this now smells like desperation and that is something you never want to show.

Bretsky
THE PLANE HAS LANDED!!.. where do you think he's stayin?

Probably the Budgetel

Patler

Sure, we've paid you enough over the years for the one Super Bowl you brought us that your private plane is bigger than the one they gave me for this trip.

Mark

MadtownPacker
THE PLANE HAS LANDED!!.. where do you think he's stayin?Figured he could crash on Ted's couch. :lol:

Patler
07-29-2008, 11:37 PM
We can't trade you until someone wants you, and right now no one does.

See you in Green Bay.

You really dont think its that simple, do you?... NO ONE WILL EVER TRADE FOR HIM KNOWING HE MIGHT BE RELEASE... its just not "good business"... do you get that concept?...

You are wrong. The only team that wouldn't trade for him is Minnesota, because that is where he will go if he is released. Any other team HAS to trade for him if they want to get him. If the Packers release him, they have no chance to get him.

digitaldean
07-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Here's the JSO article:http: www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=777838

It's got some interesting bits:

-Murphy's acting like he's a super spy "I can't talk here," he says.

-Brett hasn't been working out with his trainer this summer

-He refuses to talk to the Bucs or Jets

I got all that except the last point. Didn't say anything about him refusing to talk to NYJ or Bucs. Just said that both had permission, but so far talks haven't progressed.

MadtownPacker
07-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Sure, we've paid you enough over the years for the one Super Bowl you brought us that your private plane is bigger than the one they gave me for this trip.

MarkFine, carry get my bag. I wouldn't want to hurt myself while under contract.

Bretsky
07-29-2008, 11:41 PM

Mark

You are welcome for the Super Bowl; I hope it doesn't take you another 30 or so years to win your next one.

bobblehead
07-29-2008, 11:46 PM
I've been saying this for over a week now. He won't allow a trade to anyone to happen cuz he ONLY wants to play in minnesota....man are they guilty of tampering. I can only imagine what if anything he said to the jets if they contacted him.

He wants his release, he's being a prick, he is trying to be disruptive now by showing up to camp. he is being very chad johnson like all of a sudden. I am losing respect for him daily.

If he talked to the jets, said "I'm excited to get you your camp and play" the deal would be done yesterday, he hasn't, it isn't, now he is coming to camp. HE ONLY WANTS HIS RELEASE.

Every BF thread is a waste of time cuz these are the facts and it says it all. He will show to camp, this will get uglier, and near the end of camp he will be released after not taking a single snap. (can't let him fake an injury or we owe him the money). We aren't going to get a trade done cuz he doesn't want one, and no one is trading for a QB who doesn't want to play for them.

Personally, I would call minnesota, offer him for a first and if they refused I would show him just how bad they really want him.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Dear Mark Murphy,

Dear Mr. Favre:

Welcome to the the 2008 Packer Training Camp! Coach McCarthy has expressed excitement to me at the opportunity to once again work with a future hall of famer. He has prepared a list of objectives that he thinks can best allow you to contribute to the success of the Packers. Mike will discuss your role in detail, and if we have a match, you will be granted admitance to the facility.

Regarding your desire to play for another team, we have twice requested from you a list of 10 teams that you are agreeable to playing with. If you are sincere about pursuing other opportunities, we will be happy to cooperate with you. We have already given permission to two NFL teams, the Tampa Bay Bucs and NY Jets to speak with you, but they report little interest on your part. Perhaps you can meet with Ted Thompson when you arrive Green Bay to advise him on those 10 acceptable teams.

Regarding your unconditional release, please understand that this will not occur before your contract expires in 2010.

Regards,
Murph

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Personally, I would call minnesota, offer him for a first and if they refused I would show him just how bad they really want him.

You guys aren't understanding that teams are not going to pay up big for him.. why would they? They know the Pack is fucked if they plan to not play him if he's on our roster so they will wait it out, just like a "good businessman" would....

Bobblehead... release him, see how many teams want him then... or are you a pussy too, like TT?

swede
07-29-2008, 11:55 PM
Things are really getting strange when Harlan becomes the voice of reason.

The ultimate contrarian strikes again.

Bretsky
Dear Mark Murphy,

Dear Mr. Favre:

Welcome to the the 2008 Packer Training Camp! Coach McCarthy has expressed excitement to me at the opportunity to once again work with a future hall of famer. He has prepared a list of objectives that he thinks can best allow you to contribute to the success of the Packers. Mike will discuss your role in detail, and if we have a match, you will be granted admitance to the facility.

Regarding your desire to play for another team, we have twice requested from you a list of 10 teams that you are agreeable to playing with. If you are sincere about pursuing other opportunities, we will be happy to cooperate with you. We have already given permission to two NFL teams, the Tampa Bay Bucs and NY Jets to speak with you, but they report little interest on your part. Perhaps you can meet with Ted Thompson when you arrive Green Bay to advise him on those 10 acceptable teams.

Regarding your unconditional release, please understand that this will not occur before your contract expires in 2010.

Regards,
Murph

You are a frickin softie :lol:

If this is all Murphy is going to say we'll definitely see Favre in Camp

He's there to make an effort to prevent that

Harlan Huckleby
Bobblehead... release him, see how many teams want him then... or are you a pussy too, like TT?

The answer is about 20 teams would want him. Of course when they found out is wanted to be a starter, that would whittle the list to about 3.

What is your point, PacoPete? Nobody is disputing that Favre is still a valuable commodity.

bobblehead
07-29-2008, 11:56 PM

You guys aren't understanding that teams are not going to pay up big for him.. why would they? They know the Pack is fucked if they plan to not play him if he's on our roster so they will wait it out, just like a "good businessman" would....

Yes, I'm a pussy cuz I wouldn't cave to a whiney little prima donna athlete. Why would I give him to minnesota and let him have the whole camp to prepare for us on monday night?? Or are you actually juvenile and immature enough to think that I (or TT) could be goaded by a being of inferior intellect such as you (or brett). It actually embarrasses me to see you think so little of my composure and intellect.

If I were GM I WOULD release him....the day before I have to pay him.

Partial
07-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Harlan is probably pissed. Why is this guy sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. Shut your mouth Murphy, go back to GB, and get to work on the business side. Favre helps that out big time.[/list]

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Harlan is probably pissed. Why is this guy sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. Shut your mouth Murphy, go back to GB, and get to work on the business side. Favre helps that out big time.[/list]

what I heard on ESPN is that Murphy was encouraged by Goodell to resolve the matter.

digitaldean

Depending on how this plays out, this could very well happen.

The Gunshooter
GB is going to try to keep Favre away from Minnesota up to the point of writing him game checks and Favre is going to do whatever he can to go to Minnesota before that.

I am not concerned if Favre ends up in Minnesota because I believe the Packers are still the better team. The only way GB comes out on the bottom is if they suffer a tremendous rash of injuries.

GB 12-4, MINN 9-7

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm not sure we are the better team to be honest... even with Brett, they've made some moves and AP will only get better.. I know TJack sucks donkey balls, but he will improve too

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 12:02 AM

Depending on how this plays out, this could very well happen.

and that is exactly what I have been predicting....or that brett stays home realizing he can't get to minnesota in time to start the season.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Stunning development.

Like Dean said, this might be where the management's cookie starts to crumble.

Oh my God. It is a nothing development. Nothing has changed, all the basic dynamics are the same. I'm only surprised that Favre waited so long to file his paperwork.

Guess I'll have to read Dean's crumbling cookie theory to see what got you all excited.

STOP WATCHING ESPN!!!! The Green Bay Packers have an inside straight, and Favre has a lousy pair of deuces.

If Favre is in ANY way disruptive, intentionally or unintentionally, the team can pay him to sit home, or he can lead protests outside the Packer facility if that is his pleasure. The team can weather even this worst case storm, this great mass of pressure on the PAcker organization exists mostly in the minds of heartbroken and angry Favre fans.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Harlan.. I'm positive you are wrong... thats all I have to say about it... if you think this is only affecting "Brett Favre Fans'' youre delusional

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 12:08 AM
What does Favre REALLY want, what are his options, and how does he get there? Answer these questions three and you know exactly what he'll do.

1) He wants to play for the Vikings - then he must report, become a cancer and force them to cut him
2) He wants to play for some other team - he doesn't have to report, but if he stays at home, the pressure is less on Thompson to make a deal. If he's in GB, he gets evaluated (don't know if this is better or worse, but makes a difference in Favre's favpr only if he's in great shape). Favre has to apporve a trade and has to pass a physical for the team he's traded to.
3) He wants to play for the Packers - doubtful, but he has to be in camp to do so

Result - Favre has to report to camp. Murphy knows bridges are burned to a crisp and Favre will never play for the Packers and WILL NOT TRUST TT to get a deal done. Murphy has to convince Favre that he is going to get a deal done. Good luck. Favre will report and will become a cancer. I can't imagine TT taking it up the rear and welcoming Favre back in after the 'Greta' debacle.

TT didn't interview Mooch
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/BRIANBORU/CryingFavre.jpg
TT didn't sign Moss
http://images.620wtmj.com/images/620wtmj_030708favrecryjs1.JPG
TT didn't resign Wahle or Rivera
http://community.livinglakecountry.com/blogs/what_the_/Favre%20Cries2.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:09 AM
If he talked to the jets, said "I'm excited to get you your camp and play" the deal would be done yesterday, he hasn't, it isn't, now he is coming to camp. HE ONLY WANTS HIS RELEASE.

yes, and he's not going to get that release.

and till he understands this, the drama will continue. This may not get resolved for several weeks.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:10 AM
I really don't have a problem with Brett looking out for Brett first... cuz isn't that what the team is doing? or so TT says?

Lurker64
07-30-2008, 12:12 AM
I really don't have a problem with Brett looking out for Brett first... cuz isn't that what the team is doing? or so TT says?

The team is putting itself above an individual, that's what teams are supposed to do. The player is putting himself above his team, that's not what players are supposed to do.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Harlan.. I'm positive you are wrong... thats all I have to say about it... if you think this is only affecting "Brett Favre Fans'' youre delusional

Paco, that's not what I am saying.

The Favre Fans have a WILDLY exaggerated view of Favre's bargaining position. Its reason warped by emotion.

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 12:13 AM

yes, and he's not going to get that release.

and till he understands this, the drama will continue. This may not get resolved for several weeks.

I think he gets released before we have to pay him.

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 12:14 AM

The team is putting itself above an individual, that's what teams are supposed to do. The player is putting himself above his team, that's not what players are supposed to do.

At this point it's hard to blame Favre because GB is clearly letting him know he's not part of the team; he should be looking out for himself IMO.

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 12:16 AM

He is under contract, therefore by putting himself first in this manner he is no better then JWalk, or TO or anyone who doesn't want to honor his contract. when he retired he forced the team to move on, anything he does other than return to the team under their terms is selfish in the manner of a chad johnson. If he were a FA I would have no problem with him putting himself completely first in every way...he isn't so he is being an ass.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:18 AM

He is under contract, therefore by putting himself first in this manner he is no better then JWalk, or TO or anyone who doesn't want to honor his contract. when he retired he forced the team to move on, anything he does other than return to the team under their terms is selfish in the manner of a chad johnson. If he were a FA I would have no problem with him putting himself completely first in every way...he isn't so he is being an ass.

Bobble... it is different because he is being told not to come to his team, the team that he is contracted by... thats why he is looking out for himself...

Lurker64
07-30-2008, 12:18 AM
At this point it's hard to blame Favre because GB is clearly letting him know he's not part of the team; he should be looking out for himself IMO.

At the same time, Favre has made no secret that he wants no part of the Packers and thus I, as a fan of the Green Bay Packers, have no particular reason to hold any affection towards him nor do the Green Bay Packers have any good reason to welcome him back.

packers11
07-30-2008, 12:19 AM

At the same time, Favre has made no secret that he wants no part of the Packers and thus I, as a fan of the Green Bay Packers, have no particular reason to hold any affection towards him nor do the Green Bay Packers have any good reason to welcome him back.

"give me my helmet or give me my release"

HE WANTS TO PLAY IN GB OR with the vikings. It pretty much sums it up...

GB wants him to play anywhere but GB and MN...

This is were the problem is...

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:19 AM

THEN LET HIM GO!... haha, if we dont want him, than get rid of him.. why can the Packers be selfish and hold out for their best offer, but Favre cant?... makes no sense

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:20 AM

"give me my helmet or give me my release"

HE WANTS TO PLAY IN GB OR with the vikings. It pretty much sums it up...

GB wants him to play anywhere but GB and MN...

This is were the problem is...

If its down to GB or MN.... boy TT better pick GB cuz he will haunt us for a long time coming

texaspackerbacker
07-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Dear Mark Murphy,

Dear Brett Favre;

See you in Green Bay.

This is very similar to what I was gonna say--a sensible post in a sea of laughable ones. It's just weird how some of you people can get so panicky or how you can hang on every little detail of the mess that this story is.

I would treat Brett with a little more tact than Patler's letter, though, because I honestly don't see him as having bad intentions or calling the Packers bluff, or whatever. I think the celebrated attitude of an 8 year old kid that manifested itself in enthusiasm when he was playing is now manifesting itself in naivete.

Why can you people not just take Thompson at his word that there's no way he will release Favre? Why can't you people just take Favre at his word that he doesn't want to play for the AFC or Tampa or whatever? Why must you people read trouble into the scenario of Favre just thinking it over and saying OK to coming back as a backup? Why can't you people accept the word of Rodgers and a bunch of other players that there won't be anything but normalcy if Brett comes to camp? Why do some of you people fantasize some weird under-the-table deal ending up with something happening that is completely contrary to stated positions? And most of all, WHY do you people think you know more than Thompson, McCarthy, probably a solid majority of players, etc. who clearly believe the team is better off moving forward with Rodgers and ruling out Favre as a starter?

GrnBay007
07-30-2008, 12:21 AM

In one of the recent interview he said he wanted to play for the Packers only. Lord knows I could never fine it with 20 of them posted daily. I remember reading it.

Partial
07-30-2008, 12:22 AM
That makes Mark Murphy a disrespectful dick. So many people are taking "respect" out of the equation. These people owe Brett their jobs. Especially TT. And he bit the hand that feeds.

I predict Brett torches the Pack if and when they meat. I also predict he gets a big hug from all the good players on the Packers, ya know, the vets who actually determine the outcome of games.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:23 AM

ya, very true.

but Favre was misguided to think he could win a PR war. He would have been much better off hammering out a compromise behind the scenes. Why go to war with people who can fuck you, and not in a happy way?

But that's easy to say from the outside, he was devestated by the rejection.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 12:23 AM
If its down to GB or MN.... boy TT better pick GB cuz he will haunt us for a long time coming

Honestly, how long could Brett "haunt" us for? 1 year, maybe 2? Whatever we do with Brett, it's not gonna hurt us in the long term.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Harlan.. please explain how they can fuck him in any way?

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 12:25 AM
The Favre Fans have a WILDLY exaggerated view of Favre's bargaining position. Its reason warped by emotion.

His ability to bargain rests on:
12 million dollars
Ability to become a 'cancer' in GB

That's it.

MOBB DEEP
07-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Dear Mark Murphy,

Dear Brett Favre;

See you in Green Bay.

This is very similar to what I was gonna say--a sensible post in a sea of laughable ones. It's just weird how some of you people can get so panicky or how you can hang on every little detail of the mess that this story is.

I would treat Brett with a little more tact than Patler's letter, though, because I honestly don't see him as having bad intentions or calling the Packers bluff, or whatever. I think the celebrated attitude of an 8 year old kid that manifested itself in enthusiasm when he was playing is now manifesting itself in naivete.

Why can you people not just take Thompson at his word that there's no way he will release Favre? Why can't you people just take Favre at his word that he doesn't want to play for the AFC or Tampa or whatever? Why must you people read trouble into the scenario of Favre just thinking it over and saying OK to coming back as a backup? Why can't you people accept the word of Rodgers and a bunch of other players that there won't be anything but normalcy if Brett comes to camp? Why do some of you people fantasize some weird under-the-table deal ending up with something happening that is completely contrary to stated positions? And most of all, WHY do you people think you know more than Thompson, McCarthy, probably a solid majority of players, etc. who clearly believe the team is better off moving forward with Rodgers and ruling out Favre as a starter?

take heed; lord almighty himself has spoken to YOU people...haha

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:26 AM
I think he gets released before we have to pay him.

I that case, Favre is playing it smart.

boiga
07-30-2008, 12:26 AM
They could trade him to Miami for a conditional 7th rounder that gets upped to two 1st round picks if he plays for any other team in the next year.

Let Parcells deal with the diva.

That would certainly be screwing him over, right?

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:27 AM
They could trade him to Miami for a conditional 7th rounder that gets upped to two 1st round picks if he plays for any other team in the next year.

Favre can veto any trade that he does not like.... next

boiga
07-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Only by retiring... which is what we want, right? Once those papers are in, that is fully within the teams power.

BallHawk
That makes Mark Murphy a disrespectful dick. So many people are taking "respect" out of the equation. These people owe Brett their jobs. Especially TT. And he bit the hand that feeds.

I predict Brett torches the Pack if and when they meat. I also predict he gets a big hug from all the good players on the Packers, ya know, the vets who actually determine the outcome of games.

Actually, Ted owes his job to Harlan, not Brett. Harlan hired Ted and when he did that I'm sure he didn't expect Ted to ride the coattails of Favre for several years. Ted hasn't done that. Has the team been successful in part due to Favre? Absolutely. But, without Brett, it's more than likely Ted would still have a job.

And, if reports are true about Goodell advising Murphy to go down to MS, than this is no disrespect whatsover. It's about finding what's best for both parties involved.

mraynrand
but Favre was misguided to think he could win a PR war. He would have been much better off hammering out a compromise behind the scenes. Why go to war with people who can fuck you, and not in a happy way?

What if they weren't willing to give Favre what he wanted? Since they hold all the cards, what other choice does he have but to either play a really weak PR hand or become a cancer, which then would kill his PR ability (See Favre can only win a 'PR war' if people like him, which they stop doing once he wages an ugly PR war - which for the most part, has already happened). That leaves him with only the 12 million dollar angle, and becoming a cancer.

GrnBay007
07-30-2008, 12:29 AM
I have a question for all of those that, in the last 90 days, decided to dislike Favre -

Lets just say the Packers decide to let Favre come back and compete for the starting QB position and he wins. After all the crappy things you've said about Favre, would you still come out and cheer him on?

Where I believe there is a difference is that those (and I will add, majority, not all) that are supporting Favre will still cheer for Rodgers when it comes down to it. I can't say that about all those spewing all the hatred toward Favre. Of those supporting Favre throughout this I really can't name anyone that has bashed Rodgers the way Favre has taken a beating. I just don't get it.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:29 AM
thats not what I read....

he can refuse to report to anothe team which throws his rights back in our lap is what i've heard

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 12:30 AM

Favre can veto any trade that he does not like.... next

Favre cannot veto a trade. He doesn't have that power. He can choose not to show up to camp, but he can't shoot down a trade.

digitaldean
07-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Answer these questions three and you know exactly what he'll do.

1) He wants to play for the Vikings - then he must report, become a cancer and force them to cut him
2) He wants to play for some other team - he doesn't have to report, but if he stays at home, the pressure is less on Thompson to make a deal. If he's in GB, he gets evaluated (don't know if this is better or worse, but makes a difference in Favre's favpr only if he's in great shape). Favre has to apporve a trade and has to pass a physical for the team he's traded to.
3) He wants to play for the Packers - doubtful, but he has to be in camp to do so

#1). Could happen, we just don't know on that.
#2) Agree with everything except that Favre has to approve a trade. He filed his reinstatement papers, he's back on the team and under the contract that applies for 2 more seasons of service. If he doesn't approve of the trade, tough crap, he can still be traded. (the other team does run the risk of him retiring again, but they'd retain his rights until he fulfills the 2 years of service).
#3). Stranger things have happened he could still be on the team for game 1, but I doubt it.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:31 AM

Well, what they can do to fuck him is obvious. Trade him to Miami. Sit on his contract. Bury him in the depth chart.

At any job the boss has the upper hand.

FAvre has the ability to cause trouble, but also damage himself in the process.

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 12:33 AM
I have a question for all of those that, in the last 90 days, decided to dislike Favre -

Lets just say the Packers decide to let Favre come back and compete for the starting QB position and he wins. After all the crappy things you've said about Favre, would you still come out and cheer him on?

Where I believe there is a difference is that those (and I will add, majority, not all) that are supporting Favre will still cheer for Rodgers when it comes down to it. I can't say that about all those spewing all the hatred toward Favre. Of those supporting Favre throughout this I really can't name anyone that has bashed Rodgers the way Favre has taken a beating. I just don't get it.

I'm annoyed by all the crap Favre has pulled, but I'd be totally behind him when he returns. I just don't think it's going to happen. You can't tear into your GM like Favre did. It's over. He won't play for GB.

Harlan Huckleby

Where I believe there is a difference is that those (and I will add, majority, not all) that are supporting Favre will still cheer for Rodgers when it comes down to it.

Well of course everyone will cheer for Rodgers.

It is only Favre who has (arguably) disgraced himself.

digitaldean
thats not what I read....

he can refuse to report to anothe team which throws his rights back in our lap is what i've heard

Once he gets traded, yes he can refuse to report. But then he can be disciplined (fined, etc.) by the other team that gets his rights. He has NO clause that gives him refusal rights for a trade.

Could he retire again if traded to a team he doesn't like, sure. But they hold his rights until the 2 remaining seasons of service are fulfilled.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 12:34 AM

Yes, without a doubt I would root for Favre. He's been our QB since '92 and he demands respect. I would root for him just like I would root for Rodgers. Now, I would feel better if Rodgers put up big numbers compared to Favre because it'd be nice to see the young guy brush the chip off his shoulder.

I would root for Brett on the playing field, I think all of us would. Nobody would hope he'd get injured or throw 5 INTs, because that'd be against the team and I'd hope we're fans of the team over any 1 player. Off the field, I've lost a lot of respect for Favre and I've come to respect Aaron a lot more.

NewsBruin
07-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Who are these sources? Where does this shit come from? Who extrapolates all this "content" from situations that are "*going to*" happen.

The media is just continuing to disgust me.

This may already be answered, but private planes' registry numbers, flight logs, and passenger lists are public information. The JS may have sources, but the flight data can confirm the tip.

Example: Reporters tracked the president of Colonial Bank taking Auburn University's Athletic Director and University President to Louisville to talk to Bobby Petrino the night before Auburn's biggest rivalry game using his company's jet's tail numbers. Ever since, head coach Tuberville has had huge public support and is untouchable at AU.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm annoyed by all the crap Favre has pulled, but I'd be totally behind him when he returns. I just don't think it's going to happen. You can't tear into your GM like Favre did. It's over. He won't play for GB.

Where is Lance Briggs playing these days?...

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 12:36 AM
The NFLN just reported that Favre had a bowel movement. They counted 18 kernels of undigested corn.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:38 AM

What if they weren't willing to give Favre what he wanted? Since they hold all the cards, what other choice does he have but to either play a really weak PR hand or become a cancer, which then would kill his PR ability (See Favre can only win a 'PR war' if people like him, which they stop doing once he wages an ugly PR war - which for the most part, has already happened). That leaves him with only the 12 million dollar angle, and becoming a cancer.

How is this drama going to finally end? In a compromise between Favre and the Packers. The Packers are not going to be motivated by the bad publicity, that is water over the dam. They are going to be motivated by a desire to have a resolution that looks acceptable to the public, and one which Favre is content with.

That dynamic has not changed one bit since last June when the shit hit the fan. Favre is gaining no bargaining position. He's only damaging his reputation and reducing his value and options. He could have gotten a better deal in June.

Trouble is, he didn't realize how weak his hand was.

GrnBay007
07-30-2008, 12:39 AM
I've come to respect Aaron a lot more.

Can you please explain what Rodgers has done to gain so much of your respect? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really interested in knowing.....

Seems to me he held a clipboard, played 2 1/2 quarters in the Dallas game and has been given the starting QB position. I'm sure he's impressed his coach.....but how has he earned your respect?

digitaldean
07-30-2008, 12:40 AM

Where I believe there is a difference is that those (and I will add, majority, not all) that are supporting Favre will still cheer for Rodgers when it comes down to it.

Well of course everyone will cheer for Rodgers.

It is only Favre who has (arguably) disgraced himself.

I would cheer for #4, but I have a little less respect for him after how this was handled.

Those who think the team is correct to move on, aren't trying to put little pins into Brett Favre voodoo dolls. Some of us think the melodrama of the last 4 years put Favre before the team. Some think that the title game was just another case of his skills dropping off.

FOR ME, it's the melodrama plus the other factors of using surrogates to do your commentary that appeared to be a bit much or throwing M3 under the bus re: Mooch's non-interview. (not to mention having a separate locker room, etc.).

MOBB DEEP
07-30-2008, 12:41 AM

Can you please explain what Rodgers has done to gain so much of your respect? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really interested in knowing.....

Seems to me he held a clipboard, played 2 1/2 quarters in the Dallas game and has been given the starting QB position. I'm sure he's impressed his coach.....but how has he earned your respect?

A: by not being favre....

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Rodgers is at about the same respect level than when we drafted him... to me, players earn respect over time... Rodgers has not had his time yet

boiga
07-30-2008, 12:43 AM

Where I believe there is a difference is that those (and I will add, majority, not all) that are supporting Favre will still cheer for Rodgers when it comes down to it. I can't say that about all those spewing all the hatred toward Favre. Of those supporting Favre throughout this I really can't name anyone that has bashed Rodgers the way Favre has taken a beating. I just don't get it. Yes, I think everyone here would support Favre if the happy fairy land ending occurred and this all got resolved peacefully. Unfortunately though, that's not really possible at this point. Favre wants to start, the Packers don't want him to, and ne'er between shall meet. I would certainly respect him a lot less than I did 2 months ago, but I would definitely cheer him on.

However, I disagree with how supportive the pro-Favre crowd have been for Rodgers. This board was actually civil compared to a couple of others that I had been visiting. Some posters were threatening to go Tonya Harding on him a couple of days ago to get Favre back. People were wishing hell and damnation for the next generation of packer fans for the "the curse of #4." Even woodbuck had to be reminded he was a Packer fan first, which he now reminds us of every single post.

So, I would argue the craziness goes both ways here. The major difference is that A-Rod is trying to be a Packer while Brett is trying to not be one, so supporting the packers means supporting Rodgers at this juncture. People are slowly coming around to that and the vehemence against Rodgers has been abating.

But Favre's been acting more and more like an ass lately... so I suppose anger at him is increasing, which is what you are picking up on.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:43 AM
right now, I think I would throw eggs at Brett Favre.

But I could change my mind pretty quickly, I don't take this stuff too seriously.

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 12:44 AM
They are going to be motivated by a desire to have a resolution that looks acceptable to the public, and one which Favre is content with.

Why should they even do this? They want Favre retired, and he has to behave like a total bastard to get them to do anything different. I'm not even sure that he's capable of being the kind of nasty cancer that would get him relased. Plus, the Packers could always give him the old Terry Glenn (NE) or Keyshawn Johnson (Tampa) treatment and say, you're on the squad, but stay away. The team really can't look much worse, but Favre could kill his whole endorsement future if he makes it ugly.

CaptainKickass
07-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Are there any other reasons why Murph (& the magic tones) would travel to Miss to speak with Brett?

Not necessarily my view but I haven't heard this:

...to tell Brett that the team welcomes him back and will reinstate him as the starter?

Anyone else good at being Satan's Advocate?

BallHawk

To start, he's been excellent with the media. He hasn't disrespected Brett or expressed frustration at the situation. He says repeatedly "Brett will do what Brett will do. I am the starting QB of the Packers and I intend on winning football games."

He's shown the type of poise with the media you look for in a young QB. He's handled it like a gentleman.

And I feel he's gone the extra mile with teammates. Having them over to his house for dinner, video games, etc. He's making himself open and approachable which I think Favre has lacked in the last few years.

Really, the 24 year old kid is outclassing the 38 year old veteran. It's that simple.

Pacopete4
all that has to be done is Rodgers play well... basically all this other BS will end then, i wonder what the odds are of that though

GrnBay007
I would cheer for #4, but I have a little less respect for him after how this was handled.

Those who think the team is correct to move on, aren't trying to put little pins into Brett Favre voodoo dolls. Some of us think the melodrama of the last 4 years put Favre before the team. Some think that the title game was just another case of his skills dropping off.

FOR ME, it's the melodrama plus the other factors of using surrogates to do your commentary that appeared to be a bit much or throwing M3 under the bus re: Mooch's non-interview. (not to mention having a separate locker room, etc.).

Favre made mistakes in how he's handled this IMO, but like I've mentioned before who knows how you would handle it if you walked in his shoes.....plus NONE of us know, or will ever know, all the behind the scene dealings/conversations that went on. As far as him using surrogates to do his commentary, that's not fair. Favre has no control over what his family or friends leak to media....whether it be intentional or by accident.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:48 AM

Favre made mistakes in how he's handled this IMO, but like I've mentioned before who knows how you would handle it if you walked in his shoes.....plus NONE of us know, or will ever know, all the behind the scene dealings/conversations that went on. As far as him using surrogates to do his commentary, that's not fair. Favre has no control over what his family or friends leak to media....whether it be intentional or by accident.

That tell all book will be the best seller of all time

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:48 AM
They are going to be motivated by a desire to have a resolution that looks acceptable to the public, and one which Favre is content with.

Why should they even do this? They want Favre retired, and he has to behave like a total bastard to get them to do anything different. I'm not even sure that he's capable of being the kind of nasty cancer that would get him relased. Plus, the Packers could always give him the old Terry Glenn (NE) or Keyshawn Johnson (Tampa) treatment and say, you're on the squad, but stay away. The team really can't look much worse, but Favre could kill his whole endorsement future if he makes it ugly.

Umm, you're absolutely right, they can Glenn him. That may happen, and I am confident they can get away with it. But they still have a long term interest in sprinkling some perfume on this stink. THEY WOULD PREFER TO HELP FAVRE.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:49 AM
haha if they ban him from being a Packer... TT better watch out for his life, and I think he knows that... you dont treat players like a Favre that way

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 12:50 AM
IMO they have no interest in helping him; they are interested in getting what they deem to be fair compensation. If they do not get that they will wait. If the deal is not good for them they may milk this out...which is exactly why Favre should come to TC because they'll be more apt to rush things along

boiga
07-30-2008, 12:50 AM

Seems to me he held a clipboard, played 2 1/2 quarters in the Dallas game and has been given the starting QB position. I'm sure he's impressed his coach.....but how has he earned your respect?Rodgers has had every opportunity to bash Favre this off season. He could have been a cocky brat threatening the organization if they let Favre back in. He could have whined to the media, etc..... But he didn't. He's been a saint through all of this, which certainly encourages you to root for the guy.

Also, those two and half quarters were pretty awesome, so we at least know the guy has potential. He also is looking decent in camp, throwing long bombs occasionally and not making too many mistakes. If he were a Rex or Tarvaris... my sentiments would likely be very different.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:51 AM
plus NONE of us know, or will ever know, all the behind the scene dealings/conversations that went on.

What do think about Favre taking his private phone conversation with TT, and misrepresenting to the media TT's "they'll fire me if you show up in Green Bay" non-remark? Is that out of Favre's control too?

texaspackerbacker
07-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Dear Mark Murphy,

Dear Brett Favre;

See you in Green Bay.

take heed; lord almighty himself has spoken to YOU people...haha

You got that right, Mobb. Welcome here. It seems like nobody remembers you or is acknowledging you from JSOnline. I remember you.

There is a helluva lot of middle ground between the Favre-worship of some who think he should still start or whatever, and the Favre-hate (or close to it) being expressed by others.

I really don't think he is seemingly reporting to camp to become a cancer and force a trade or release or whatever. I think he just thought it over and decided that getting $12 million to be a backup and hang around with his buddies on the way to the Super Bowl ain't such a bad idea. And that's not even saying that the money is all that big a deal. I think Favre is just a very unsophisticated guy who has been pulled and twisted in several different directions, and who just has a simple goal of being back on field with the guys he knows so well in any capacity that is there for him. I also wouldn't be surprised if a persuasive discussion with Murphy could talk him out of the whole thing, and let him fade back into retirement--the absolute best case scenario here.

packers11
07-30-2008, 12:52 AM
If I was Rodgers I would go to MM/TT and tell them I would accept Favre back as a starter for all that he meant to the organization... He would be an INSTANT FAN FAVORITE / MEDIA LOVED PLAYER.

I mean, if it wasn't for Favre you could pretty much say he would be in Alex Smith's situation... Thrown right into the fire and turn out to be a bust...

But I live in the most optimistic world... :lol:

It would never happen...

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:53 AM
plus NONE of us know, or will ever know, all the behind the scene dealings/conversations that went on.

What do think about Favre taking his private phone conversation with TT, and misrepresenting to the media TT's "they'll fire me if you show up in Green Bay" non-remark? Is that out of Favre's control too?

How do you know he misrepresented TT's comment about getting him fired?... Maybe TT is the one covering that up cuz he looks weak if he actually said it... you are way to one sided in this whole mess Harlan...

digitaldean
haha if they ban him from being a Packer... TT better watch out for his life, and I think he knows that... you dont treat players like a Favre that way

See.. it's posts like this that are completely nonsensical.

For those who have voice opposition towards Favre's approach, no one has once stated Favre better "watch out for his life".

Please think a little bit more before typing crap like that and clicking the "submit" button.

bobblehead

Bobble... it is different because he is being told not to come to his team, the team that he is contracted by... thats why he is looking out for himself...

But its not different, cuz he is not helping us trade him. He is not talking to the jets or tampa. He wants his RELEASE so he can play with minnesota.

I originally wasn't on him too bad and I predicted they would have bus seek a trade for him, but he doesn't want that, he wants to play for our rivals so he can stick it to TT like a spoiled kid who got told no.

GrnBay007
07-30-2008, 12:54 AM
To start, he's been excellent with the media. He hasn't disrespected Brett or expressed frustration at the situation. He says repeatedly "Brett will do what Brett will do. I am the starting QB of the Packers and I intend on winning football games."

C'mon Ballhawk, he's been excellent with the media because during this media circus he's been told how to respond....count on it.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:54 AM
IMO they have no interest in helping him; they are interested in getting what they deem to be fair compensation.

I think you greatly underestimate the appreciation the organization has for what Brett Favre has contributed. I have no doubt that TT gives a lot of priority to accomodating Favre, he is looking for a long term happy relationship with the icon, if possible.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:56 AM

See.. it's posts like this that are completely nonsensical.

For those who have voice opposition towards Favre's approach, no one has once stated Favre better "watch out for his life".

Please think a little bit more before typing crap like that and clicking the "submit" button.

if you couldnt tell by the haha, it more said as people would go insane over the matter... I wouldn't kill TT if that makes you feel better aha I might like to punch him in the gut though

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 12:58 AM

How do you know he misrepresented TT's comment about getting him fired?... Maybe TT is the one covering that up cuz he looks weak if he actually said it... you are way to one sided in this whole mess Harlan...

Paco, why would TT say that he might get fired, why would he confide in Favre? And Favre went on to say that TT was "shaken."

This is simply ridiculous. If you believe this one, you probably believe that the U.S. really landed on the moon.

(BTW, the explanation that has dribbled out of the packer office is that TT joked that he would be fired if he ever released FAvre. Now, isn't that a 1000 times more credible?)

GrnBay007
07-30-2008, 12:58 AM

OR maybe it was said jokingly and the media just forgot to mention that part of it.

And I could throw back to you, why didn't TT settle the cell phone business right away......he sat on the info that Favre NEVER had a Packer cell phone.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Harlan.. thats not the point I was making. The point I was making is that youre just believing everything TT says and EVERYTHING Brett has said is a complete lie... it takes twoooooo baaaaaaaaaby, its taaaaaaaake twwwwwwooooo baaaaaaaaaaaby!

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 01:01 AM
OR maybe it was said jokingly and the media just forgot to mention that part of it.

Uhh, no. it was obviously part of a joke, but the quote came directly from Favre, he says it on video tape.

This is worse than Hillary's Bosnian Snipers whopper.

BallHawk

C'mon Ballhawk, he's been excellent with the media because during this media circus he's been told how to respond....count on it.

Yes, I know the team has told him to keep it cool....that's common sense.

However, it would be easy, after 100s of questions to just snap and really give the media something to misconstrue...much worse than the "shut up" comment.

Even you could admit, anybody could admit, Aaron could not of handled this better. The team can tell you one thing, but it's down to Aaron to perform in those interviews. He's done that.

packers11
so if Murphy's attempt fails...

Is he (Favre) in GB Wednesday night???

Or Friday???

because they have no practice on Thursday...

:?:

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 01:02 AM
so if Murphy's attempt fails...

Is in GB Wednesday night???

Or Friday???

because they have no practice on Thursday...

:?:

No way he is there before Friday, Goodell will take a day, then the Packers have a day to respond.

mraynrand
I really don't think he is seemingly reporting to camp to become a cancer and force a trade or release or whatever. I think he just thought it over and decided that getting $12 million to be a backup and hang around with his buddies on the way to the Super Bowl ain't such a bad idea.

I don't really think Favre has 'being a cancer' in him. But if he wants out, he has to try to force the Packer's hand. But I can't imagine for a second that Favre would be content to ride the pine, hangin' with his buds, to collect a ring. Who are his buddies anyway? Virtually no one on the team. His best friend is the trainer in the locker room. Favre being a backup just doesn't fit his personality or anything he's ever said about his playing mentality.

Pacopete4
Friday seems more likely

GrnBay007
07-30-2008, 01:03 AM
IMO they have no interest in helping him; they are interested in getting what they deem to be fair compensation.

I think you greatly underestimate the appreciation the organization has for what Brett Favre has contributed. I have no doubt that TT gives a lot of priority to accomodating Favre, he is looking for a long term happy relationship with the icon, if possible.

Wow! No, HH the organization is not showing appreciation for Favre. How can they be showing him respect and appreciation by not allowing him to come to camp and compete for a starting position? It's just crazy.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Harlan.. thats not the point I was making. The point I was making is that youre just believing everything TT says and EVERYTHING Brett has said is a complete lie... it takes twoooooo baaaaaaaaaby, its taaaaaaaake twwwwwwooooo baaaaaaaaaaaby!

I started out being pretty unbiased. I have grown increasingly supportive of the boss men, and perhaps I can no longer be fair. But I got here from an objective analysis of the facts.

So feel free to dismiss from here on out.

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 01:05 AM

I'm sure TT appreciated Favre calling him a liar on a national cable program. Probably made him feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Should make TT want to keep up that happy relationship.

boiga
07-30-2008, 01:05 AM

And I could throw back to you, why didn't TT settle the cell phone business right away......he sat on the info that Favre NEVER had a Packer cell phone.Here's what Glazer said about the"you'll get me fired" incident.
In fact, those same sources say that GM Ted Thompson never told Favre he'd get fired for letting him back in the building. Instead, he joked that even the people who don't want Brett back would want him fired if he released the famed gunslinger. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8387530

You should read the full article, it's the best summation of our situation that I've read. Also, the Packers did officially report that the don't offer cell phones to players the day after the rumor started. It's just that no on listened to them.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Wow! No, HH the organization is not showing appreciation for Favre. How can they be showing him respect and appreciation by not allowing him to come to camp and compete for a starting position? It's just crazy.

It's true they don't want him to play on the Packers anymore. They feel the same way about Bart Starr, BTW, and I think he is still held in pretty high regard.

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 01:07 AM

No kidding. They're playing extreme hardball with Favre. They want him retired and out of GB and it looks very much like they're willing to take a 12 mil hit to keep it that way.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Its gonna suck when Favre never comes around the Packers anymore.. and I dont blame him really.. but it sucks because our history is tarnished and really, for no good reason at all

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 01:09 AM

It's true they don't want him to play on the Packers anymore. They feel the same way about Bart Starr, BTW, and I think he is still held in pretty high regard.

That's just stupid, Harlan. Starr is not a threat to return or to play elsewhere. The Packers want their way and they hold all the cards - nothing more nor less.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm sure TT appreciated Favre calling him a liar on a national cable program. Probably made him feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Should make TT want to keep up that happy relationship.

Honestly, I think they let it roll off their backs.

Favre is a man-child, unable to deal with rejection.

Remember what Favre said about his retirement plans last spring? "I'm gonna do nothin." He's unstable, nearing the end of football.

GrnBay007
07-30-2008, 01:11 AM

Yes, I know the team has told him to keep it cool....that's common sense.

However, it would be easy, after 100s of questions to just snap and really give the media something to misconstrue...much worse than the "shut up" comment.

Even you could admit, anybody could admit, Aaron could not of handled this better. The team can tell you one thing, but it's down to Aaron to perform in those interviews. He's done that.

Well, lets wait and see how he handles himself and the media during the season...that will tell us way more then now. My only point is the guy has not handled near the pressure during this ordeal that he will during the season. I think it was Nutz that posted something about this and how Packer management is putting an incredible amount of pressure on the guy(that we will see down the road) I really hope he handles it all well no matter what happens...he really is in a tough spot.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 01:11 AM

That's just stupid, Harlan. Starr is not a threat to return or to play elsewhere. The Packers want their way and they hold all the cards - nothing more nor less.

you seem to be a little weak on the reading comprehension here.
OR maybe I have no idea how your remark fits in because I am indeed stupid.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Well, lets wait and see how he handles himself and the media during the season...that will tell us way more then now. My only point is the guy has not handled near the pressure during this ordeal that he will during the season. I think it was Nutz that posted something about this and how Packer management is putting an incredible amount of pressure on the guy(that we will see down the road) I really hope he handles it all well no matter what happens...he really is in a tough spot.

Agreed, 100%.

Aaron will either make a lot of people look very wise or very foolish. The risk is higher than the reward, IMO. But everybody's behind him, if he's going to succeed he couldn't have a better situation.

GrnBay007
07-30-2008, 01:16 AM

I'm confused. Are you saying the Packers should allow Favre to play wherever he chooses?

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 01:18 AM

you seem to be a little weak on the reading comprehension here.
OR maybe I have no idea how your remark fits in because I am indeed stupid.

Maybe we're not on the same wavelength here. Starr can't play, can't compete for a starting position. Favre can. The high regard in which Starr is held is for his past accomplishments in the 60s, and his character. That has nothing to do with the situation with Favre. Favre is and will always be held in high regard for his on the field accomplishments. But comparing him to Starr at this point is very odd. Did I miss something?

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 01:19 AM
wow, talk about a lost thread of conversation.

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 01:21 AM
If I was Rodgers I would go to MM/TT and tell them I would accept Favre back as a starter for all that he meant to the organization... He would be an INSTANT FAN FAVORITE / MEDIA LOVED PLAYER.

I mean, if it wasn't for Favre you could pretty much say he would be in Alex Smith's situation... Thrown right into the fire and turn out to be a bust...

But I live in the most optimistic world... :lol:

It would never happen...

and what if MM said "gee aaron, why would you say that. You aren't prone to throwing HUGE interceptions, or setting the ball down like brett did in that st. louis game. We actually think you are a better player and you should be the starter" what then mr. theoretical?

Being that you are playing the "if I were rodgers" game, let me ask you this. What if you actually believed in yourself and thought you were the better QB at this point?? I mean, what if you actually had a shred of self confidence, would you still hand the starting job over to favre cuz he is such a great guy?

mraynrand
07-30-2008, 01:21 AM

I'm confused. Are you saying the Packers should allow Favre to play wherever he chooses?

No. They appear to want him to retire, and really as far as I can tell, can keep him from playing anywhere so long as his contract is intact, if they are willing to eat the 12 mil. The only way I can imagine Favre forcing their hand is if he becomes a total distraction.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 01:22 AM
Maybe we're not on the same wavelength here. Starr can't play, can't compete for a starting position. Favre can. The high regard in which Starr is held is for his past accomplishments in the 60s, and his character. That has nothing to do with the situation with Favre. Favre is and will always be held in high regard for his on the field accomplishments. But comparing him to Starr at this point is very odd. Did I miss something?

All I was suggesting is that the Packers are not disrespecting Favre by not wanting him on the team. They also don't want Forrest Gregg in camp. Uhh, never mind. The point is that just because a player is judged to be cooked does not mean he is disrespected.

Merlin
07-30-2008, 01:51 AM
There are as many ways to view this as there are stars in the sky.

Favre needs to show up for camp, period. If Murphy is usurping Ted then you have to know that something is rotten between Favre and Ted. There are always two sides to every story and somewhere in the middle is the truth. Brett is more believable because he shoots his mouth off without thinking. Thompson on the other hand has been deceptive with the fans, not followed his own policies of fielding the best team possible or keeping the best football players. Do I think Favre may have taken some things Ted said differently then they were meant to be? Sure. Do I think Thompson was less then upfront with Favre and may have intentionally at times deceived him? You bet. We aren't privy to the conversations so it's difficult to stay on one side vs the other.

Murphy going down there looks to me like an act of desperation on the Packers part and if Favre is smart, he will do what they Packers are claiming to be doing in the name of their best interests, Favre needs to do what is in his and that is to show up at camp. They cannot prevent him from being there, that is against the CBA. They can relegate him to light practice and busy work but they can't keep him from being there. He would have to really f'up in order to be fined or disciplined. Favre isn't going to do anything but practice football. Anything who thinks otherwise isn't thinking straight because the guy said all he wants to do is PLAY, why would he jeopardize that by being a cancer? If the Packers can't find a suitable trade partner then they will have to keep him on as a backup. And if Ted is a man of his word and your backup outperforms your starter, then the choice is clear, you release the backup, because no one and I mean no one is ever going to get it through Thompson's thick skull that you actually DO field the best team, not the one your ego says is better.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 01:55 AM

Same here.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 01:57 AM

He's shown the type of poise with the media you look for in a young QB. He's handled it like a gentleman.

And I feel he's gone the extra mile with teammates. Having them over to his house for dinner, video games, etc. He's making himself open and approachable which I think Favre has lacked in the last few years.

Really, the 24 year old kid is outclassing the 38 year old veteran. It's that simple.

Agreed.

MadtownPacker
07-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Favre is a man-child, unable to deal with rejection.

Remember what Favre said about his retirement plans last spring? "I'm gonna do nothin." He's unstable, nearing the end of football.
Agreed. But that is also why I understand why he is doing what he is doing. I dont like how he is doing it but the bottom line is that dogging him like this aint right.

HE wanted back in before he wanted to go to the vikings and I doubt he gives a fuck about wearing pruple. He just knows that is where he can get revenge. Is it so wrong to be human. I bet any of us in the same situation would feel rejected as well. We just might have dealt with it differently but I probably wouldnt have.

If there is not a fair competition I will lose major respect for M3.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 04:51 AM

Sending the team president down to tell a surefire HOF QB to stay the hell away while squating on his rights? Man, I would never have proposed such a crazy story in a million years.Ras, I thought you were a level headed one. Are you actually accpeting media's word? We have no idea what Murphy is going down there to do. Who says they are not letting him into camp? They say sources. As someone said who are these sources. I'm willing to bet Bus Cook, Scott Favre or someone close to the family. Im disappointed in you Ras. I thought you were better than that.

Lurker64
07-30-2008, 05:07 AM
My personal hope is that Murphy has gone down there to say:

"Brett, you're not going to be the starter week 1. We'd like to help you play football in week 1, but we're not going to do it by releasing you, that's not going to happen. So we're looking to trade you, but you're not making it easy on us to trade you. Could you please either talk to any of the teams that have expressed interest in trading for you or alternatively give us a list of teams that you would be interested in playing? The sooner you can do either of these things, the better it is for either of us. If you're not going to either tell us the names of teams outside the division you're willing to pay for or actually talk to the teams who want you, you're just not going to be very happy and you're going to make a mess for everybody, especially yourself."

Less to beg him to stay home and more to say "you're not helping your case here, here's how you can help yourself."

Rastak
07-30-2008, 05:22 AM

Sending the team president down to tell a surefire HOF QB to stay the hell away while squating on his rights? Man, I would never have proposed such a crazy story in a million years.Ras, I thought you were a level headed one. Are you actually accpeting media's word? We have no idea what Murphy is going down there to do. Who says they are not letting him into camp? They say sources. As someone said who are these sources. I'm willing to bet Bus Cook, Scott Favre or someone close to the family. Im disappointed in you Ras. I thought you were better than that.

Dude, you think they shipped the president of the team down there to welcome him back? Not the GM, the president. Yikes. What other reasonable conclusion is there? GM asks him to stay away a few days. He files and the team president is dispatched immediately, what do you think his message will be? Screw the media, let's use common sense.

I have to admit this is one of the strangest stories I've come across in my many years watching the NFL. High drama like TO and the Eagles.

Patler
07-30-2008, 06:16 AM
"So we're looking to trade you, but you're not making it easy on us to trade you. Could you please either talk to any of the teams that have expressed interest in trading for you or alternatively give us a list of teams that you would be interested in playing?"

I think the problem is that Favre has said:

"Here's my list:
"Minnesota Vikings
"How soon can you get a deal done?"

Rastak
07-30-2008, 06:21 AM
"So we're looking to trade you, but you're not making it easy on us to trade you. Could you please either talk to any of the teams that have expressed interest in trading for you or alternatively give us a list of teams that you would be interested in playing?"

I think the problem is that Favre has said:

"Here's my list:
"Minnesota Vikings
"How soon can you get a deal done?"

I obviously don't know this for sure but I am guessing his list would be:

1) Green Bay Packers
2) Minnesota Vikings

HowardRoark
07-30-2008, 07:05 AM

"Brett, you're not going to be the starter week 1. We'd like to help you play football in week 1, but we're not going to do it by releasing you, that's not going to happen. So we're looking to trade you, but you're not making it easy on us to trade you. Could you please either talk to any of the teams that have expressed interest in trading for you or alternatively give us a list of teams that you would be interested in playing? The sooner you can do either of these things, the better it is for either of us. If you're not going to either tell us the names of teams outside the division you're willing to pay for or actually talk to the teams who want you, you're just not going to be very happy and you're going to make a mess for everybody, especially yourself."

Less to beg him to stay home and more to say "you're not helping your case here, here's how you can help yourself."

I agree. Murphy is doing his job. He is not going down there to beg. This issue is above TT’s pay grade in my opinion. It is about the organization. And quite frankly, the fact that he is a “new guy” works to his advantage. He has no emotional baggage.

Let TT do his job. Sign Grant, etc.

Let McCarthy coach the football team. He is a football coach. Coaching people who play football. With footballs. On the football field. Next to the football stadium. In a football town.

mmmdk
07-30-2008, 07:12 AM

Wuhuu! Nice post.

HowardRoark
07-30-2008, 07:14 AM
HE wanted back in before he wanted to go to the vikings and I doubt he gives a fuck about wearing pruple. He just knows that is where he can get revenge. Is it so wrong to be human. I bet any of us in the same situation would feel rejected as well. We just might have dealt with it differently but I probably wouldnt have.

This is an interesting point. I have been wondering myself why he wants to go to MN so bad. It certainly is not the facilities, town, etc.

Sure they have a good team that needs a QB, but there are other places that could work for him.

I have read a few places that Brett is non-confrontational. He has never come off as a vindictive person to me.

What he is though, is someone who needs to be coddled. I think that’s the reason he wants to go to MN. He feels with Bevell and Childress he will have a situation like he did with Sherman.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 07:23 AM

Dude, you think they shipped the president of the team down there to welcome him back? Not the GM, the president. Yikes. What other reasonable conclusion is there? GM asks him to stay away a few days. He files and the team president is dispatched immediately, what do you think his message will be? Screw the media, let's use common sense.

I have to admit this is one of the strangest stories I've come across in my many years watching the NFL. High drama like TO and the Eagles.How about this as Lurker said:

Again, I thought were better than taking what the media says as gospel.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Brett, you're not going to be the starter week 1. We'd like to help you play football in week 1, but we're not going to do it by releasing you, that's not going to happen. So we're looking to trade you, but you're not making it easy on us to trade you.

Sorry Lurker...

Favre doesn't have to "make it easy" any more than the Packers have to "release him".

The Packers don't hold all the cards here. They certainly have the strongest hand at the moment, but there are still cards to be dealt...and Favre isn't going to fold before the hand is through.

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Brett, you're not going to be the starter week 1. We'd like to help you play football in week 1, but we're not going to do it by releasing you, that's not going to happen. So we're looking to trade you, but you're not making it easy on us to trade you.

Sorry Lurker...

Favre doesn't have to "make it easy" any more than the Packers have to "release him".

The Packers don't hold all the cards here. They certainly have the strongest hand at the moment, but there are still cards to be dealt...and Favre isn't going to fold before the hand is through.

And he shouldn't

If Bus Cook is on the top of his game he will reqeust a deadline by which the Packers either trade or release Favre for him to agree to do anything to help him

RashanGary
07-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Hopefully Murph can get something done. We'll see.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Hopefully Murph can get something done. We'll see.

The newbie president is going to suddenly solve all this with a trip to see Favre?

Don't get your hopes up.

Fritz
07-30-2008, 08:05 AM
It becomes increasingly clear to me that the best way to put an end to this fiasco is to trade Favre - to Minnesota.

TT is wrong to flat out reject that possibility. Yes, you'd have to play Favre and the Queens - but how many times? Twice this year, maybe once more in the playoffs. And then? Next offseason, Favre does the retirement dance, and then if he came back, you'd have to play him and the Queens twice again. Then it'd be over. And if he came back after that, my sense is his skills will have declined significantly as his desire to put in the offseason work continues to wane.

So the Packers would have a short term issue to deal with - playing the Queens and Favre maybe four or five times in two years. But if the team doesn't resolve this issue soon, the organization will put a drag on this year's team by saddling it with a huge circus. That may well be more damaging than playing Favre twice or three times this year.

If you trade him to Minny, then you've treated Favre as well as possible given the cirumstances. You can say you've moved on, but that you gave Favre his second wish: to play for the Queens. This might help patch up his relationship to the Packers.

The team has a strong inteest in putting an end to this. Having Favre report and then hang around as a backup is not going to be good for this team. Even if Rodgers gets injured, the damage done by having to deal with the media circus every week ("Will Brett play if Aaron throws some intereptions? When Rodgers comes back from his injury, who will start?") will be more damage than Favre can do from Minnesota.

What can TT get from the Queens? I dunno - maybe if he agrees to trade Favre and drop the tampering charges, he could get a third rounder.

At this point, I think that's the best case scenario for everyone. And at the risk of sounding heretical, I don't think Minny having a less-than-conditioned Favre who is with a new team and has no relationship with any of the receivers is as big a threat as you might think. If Childress is the kind of coach he appears to be from afar, we might see more of the Favre-gone-wild kind of play that we saw in the last Sherman years.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 08:10 AM
It becomes increasingly clear to me that the best way to put an end to this fiasco is to trade Favre - to Minnesota.

TT is wrong to flat out reject that possibility.

I agree.

The only way to get the maximum compensation for Favre is to ship Favre where he wants to go and to where they really want Favre.

Thompson and McCarthy painted themselves into this corner when they decided to "move on" without a guy who they had to figure was going to get the "itch" and try to come back. Did they really think Favre was just going to roll over and be their bitch?

I don't think the Packer braintrust really thought this entire thing through when they made their decision to "move on".

Fritz
07-30-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't think they could have predicted it would go this way - but who could? I do think they thought this through.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 08:16 AM
I don't think they could have predicted it would go this way - but who could? I do think they thought this through.

I knew it was going this way.

When he retired the first time, I pointed out there was no way he was going to remain retired when he admitted he still had the ability to play and cried like a baby at his presser.

I was nearly laughed off the forum for it...but I was 100% right, and it was easy to see IMO. A guy at peace with his decision doesn't cry like a baby...he had a phenominal career and went out on a relative high note. A guy who is truly retiring usually doesn't admit that he has gas left in the tank.

The fact Favre changed his mind a few weeks later would even have been a larger red flag to the Packers IMO.

There is no way you can convince me that the Packers somehow could not have predicted this.

Fritz
07-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Then I won't bother to try.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Then I won't bother to try.

Well, you can try for other people who may be riding the fence. :D

texaspackerbacker
07-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I really don't think he is seemingly reporting to camp to become a cancer and force a trade or release or whatever. I think he just thought it over and decided that getting $12 million to be a backup and hang around with his buddies on the way to the Super Bowl ain't such a bad idea.

I don't really think Favre has 'being a cancer' in him. But if he wants out, he has to try to force the Packer's hand. But I can't imagine for a second that Favre would be content to ride the pine, hangin' with his buds, to collect a ring. Who are his buddies anyway? Virtually no one on the team. His best friend is the trainer in the locker room. Favre being a backup just doesn't fit his personality or anything he's ever said about his playing mentality.

I disagree with the part about being a backup not fitting his personality. It fits his personality a lot more than being a troublemaker or cancer.

I think Favre is a very suggestive or impressionable person. People always said he played with the enthusiasm of an 8 year old kid. Well, he's like that 8 year old kid in other ways too. Present it to him in a nice positive way, and he can be fairly easily convinced--just like he was fairly easily convinced into an irrational retirement and an equally irrational un-retirement. I'd rather Murphy be successful in convincing him to stay retired and wait in case of a Rodgers injury, though.

prsnfoto
07-30-2008, 08:54 AM

Right but by coming to camp he can show other teams he is committed and healthy and when the jackass TT does cut him he can be snatched up by a team that has injuries or the Vikings, a QB with Favre's exp. can play very quickly don't let the haters fool you, Favre with two weeks in a system is better than TJ or Grossman with ten years.

GBRulz
07-30-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure how I missed this story. If this is true, how can Murphy make Favre sit in MS and not allow him into camp without the NFL players union getting involved?

This is just going from bad to ugly. I'm at the point where if they don't want him, just let him go already. Wherever he lands up, he lands up. Just end this crap NOW!!

mmmdk
07-30-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure how I missed this story. If this is true, how can Murphy make Favre sit in MS and not allow him into camp without the NFL players union getting involved?

This is just going from bad to ugly. I'm at the point where if they don't want him, just let him go already. Wherever he lands up, he lands up. Just end this crap NOW!!

I understand what you're saying; I'm not at that point...yet.

GBRulz
07-30-2008, 09:27 AM

Reading this story was kind of the last straw for me. M3 can say this isn't distracting to our camp, blah blah blah, but how can it not be??

Favre wants to play for GB. The Packers don't want him back. The Packers won't allow him to compete for the starting job, nor does he think he should have to compete for it. Murphy is in MS telling him to stay home. Oh yeah, yesterday M3 said we will welcome him back into the locker room. uggggg

While I absolutely agree that I don't like how Favre handled this whole thing, I guess I expected better from the Packers, too.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 09:29 AM
While I absolutely agree that I don't like how Favre handled this whole thing, I guess I expected better from the Packers, too.

Both sides have made their share of mistakes...which is why things are about to get ugly.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 09:35 AM

Reading this story was kind of the last straw for me. M3 can say this isn't distracting to our camp, blah blah blah, but how can it not be??

Favre wants to play for GB. The Packers don't want him back. The Packers won't allow him to compete for the starting job, nor does he think he should have to compete for it. Murphy is in MS telling him to stay home. Oh yeah, yesterday M3 said we will welcome him back into the locker room. uggggg

While I absolutely agree that I don't like how Favre handled this whole thing, I guess I expected better from the Packers, too.Again, I want to see your proof where Murphy is going to tell Brett to stay home. All you have is the unsubstantiated claims by the media.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 09:44 AM
I want to see your proof where Murphy is going to tell Brett to stay home. All you have is the unsubstantiated claims by the media.

I want to see your proof that he is going down there to sip tea and tell Brett that he will be welcome in Green Bay, especially when the coach just said as much publically.

Why the need for the plane ride down to Mississippi?

Cheesehead Craig
07-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Personally, I believe that Murphy is done sitting on the sidelines and decided to jump into the fray himself and hear directly from Favre face to face what is going on in his head. Just has to hear it from the horse's mouth.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I want to see your proof where Murphy is going to tell Brett to stay home. All you have is the unsubstantiated claims by the media.

I want to see your proof that he is going down there to sip tea and tell Brett that he will be welcome in Green Bay, especially when the coach just said as much publically.

Why the need for the plane ride down to Mississippi? Do I have to quote Lurkers post again? That is as good an explanation for why he is going down there. Anyway, I don't know what he is going to say, but Im not the one trying to present what I think hes going to say as fact or take the medias word as gospel, which you are doing becuase it fits your agenda.

Cheesehead Craig
07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Isn't this the same source that had that Brett was using a Packer cell phone?

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Anyway, I don't know what he is going to say

Exactly. You don't know any more than anyone else.

So stop trying to act like you know something. Everyone is SPECULATING, yourself included.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Personally, I believe that Murphy is done sitting on the sidelines and decided to jump into the fray himself and hear directly from Favre face to face what is going on in his head. Just has to hear it from the horse's mouth.

There is a proactive president for you. :)

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Anyway, I don't know what he is going to say

Exactly. You don't know any more than anyone else.

So stop trying to act like you know something. Everyone is SPECULATING, yourself included.Im ot speculating. Show me once saying where I said what Murphy was going to say. I have used Lurkers well thought out post as a possibility of what Murphy MIGHT say.YOU are the one that is claimng AS FACT that Murphy is going to tell Favre to stay home.

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Is there any reasonable reason why all parties involved can't sit down TOGETHER in one room and talk? What they are doing isn't working.

Rastak
07-30-2008, 10:06 AM
I have no idea how he'll word it but the message would be this:

"Do not show up for camp".

There is no logical reason to fly to Missisippi to state you are a backup. They already stated they wouldn't cut him. They stated Rodgers was top of the depth chart. It has all been said before. What else is there to say in Missisippi that you can't say in camp other than "don't come to Wisconsin"?

Nothing else makes any sense.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 10:09 AM

There is no logical reason to fly to Missisippi to state you are a backup. They already stated they wouldn't cut him. They stated Rodgers was top of the depth chart. It has all been said before. What else is there to say in Missisippi that you can't say in camp other than "don't come to Wisconsin"?

Nothing else makes any sense.How about sitting face to face with Brett and find out what Brett is truely thinking and have a calm rational discussion behind closed doorsd instead of sniping thru the press? Ever thought of that?

Rastak
07-30-2008, 10:12 AM

Nothing else makes any sense.How about sitting face to face with Brett and find out what Brett is truely thinking and have a calm rational discussion behind closed doorsd instead of sniping thru the press? Ever thought of that?

TT said in his press conference he spoke to him for 45 minutes twice on Saturday. What can Murphy find out about his intentions that TT couldn't in 90 minutes of conversation just a few short days ago? I honestly don't see where you are going with this.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 10:12 AM
How about sitting face to face with Brett and find out what Brett is truely thinking and have a calm rational discussion behind closed doorsd instead of sniping thru the press? Ever thought of that?

So why is he waiting until NOW to do this?

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 10:13 AM
How about sitting face to face with Brett and find out what Brett is truely thinking and have a calm rational discussion behind closed doorsd instead of sniping thru the press? Ever thought of that?

So why is he waiting until NOW to do this?Becuase now Favre has actually filed for reinstatement and is an active player.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 10:13 AM
TT said in his press conference he spoke to him for 45 minutes twice on Saturday. What can Murphy find out about his intentions that TT couldn't in 90 minutes of conversation just a few short days ago? I honestly don't see where you are going with this.

Maybe Murphy feels the relationship is too strained to have a constructive ending without his involvement.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 10:15 AM
I honestly don't see where you are going with this.

Not many of us do. Someone just wants to pick a fight, I guess.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Maybe Murphy feels the relationship is too strained to have a constructive ending without his involvement.

Perhaps...but it would be wishful thinking to assume that if things had gotten so bad that Murphy alone could somehow flip the switch and make things all better. Murphy has no relationship with Favre. Favre doesn't trust Murphy. It would be a meaningless trip.

Rastak
07-30-2008, 10:18 AM

Sure, I understand that and it very well could be. What else can Murphy discuss in Mississippi that he can't in Green Bay though? It seem that the Packers should have a clear picture of his position by now so why send Murphy? I just can't see a scenario other than asking him not to report.
cpk1994 seems to imply there are plenty of reasons to talk.
I can only see the one myself.

cpk1994

TT said in his press conference he spoke to him for 45 minutes twice on Saturday. What can Murphy find out about his intentions that TT couldn't in 90 minutes of conversation just a few short days ago? I honestly don't see where you are going with this.Yeah he did, but Favre is pissed off at TT, therfore has no reason to be truful to hm. Murphy might be able to have that calm rational discusson becuase there is no beef between them.

Zool
If this isnt resolved this week, its a meaningless trip. I'm to the point where I dont care what the resolution is. I just want it over. If he's willing to say "this is my last year, or i want 2 more years no questions" bring him in. If he's not willing to commit to that, send him on his way. I'm tired of the yearly will he/wont he. I was tired of it in 2005.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 10:20 AM

Sure, I understand that and it very well could be. What else can Murphy discuss in Mississippi that he can't in Green Bay though? It seem that the Packers should have a clear picture of his position by now so why send Murphy? I just can't see a scenario other than asking him not to report.
cpk1994 seems to imply there are plenty of reasons to talk.
I can only see the one myself.Green Bay is where the media all is. Go there to get away from the media. Also, re read Lurkers post that I have been quoting. That is exactly what Murphy could say.

Patler
07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Perhaps what Murphy really wanted was a face to face meeting with Favre and his agent. That means either Murphy goes to Cook, or Cook goes to Murphy. As an act of accommodation, perhaps Murphy agreed to travel. His schedule may have been more open than Cooks, if Cook has other players he is trying to get into camp.

LL2
07-30-2008, 10:22 AM

I couldn't agree more. When this all ends both Favre and the Packers need to share a peace pipe publicly and move on. If Favre comes back and plays I will need to remove my avatar.

mmmdk
07-30-2008, 10:23 AM

Yeah! 90 minutes of "Did too!", "Did not!", "Did too"....

mmmdk
07-30-2008, 10:23 AM

I couldn't agree more. When this all ends both Favre and the Packers need to share a peace pipe publicly and move on. If Favre comes back and plays I will need to remove my avatar.

LOL - go figure :lol:

Zool
07-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Dont forget "nuh uh" and 'yuh huh"

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 10:26 AM

Dont forget "nuh uh" and 'yuh huh"

and "You're a doody head!"

green_bowl_packer
07-30-2008, 10:45 AM

Perhaps...but it would be wishful thinking to assume that if things had gotten so bad that Murphy alone could somehow flip the switch and make things all better. Murphy has no relationship with Favre. Favre doesn't trust Murphy. It would be a meaningless trip.

My feeling (speculation) is that he's going down there to tell him how it's gonna be; as he's the only good cop remaining on the Packers side and McCarthy said they would inform Favre of the plan first before the media would find out (Conditioning test, work on the side, no chance at competition, no private locker room, all perks gone, you are now just another guy on the team) in hope's that he'll make it so unappealing to Favre won't come to camp.

boiga
07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Not a good start to the discussion: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/30/favre-shows-up-late-for-murphy-meeting/
Favre's showing up late to the meeting.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/NEWS01/80730013
Retired Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre worked out with the Oak Grove High football team this morning before hustling off to a scheduled meeting with Packers’ President and CEO Mark Murphy.

When approached after the workout, Favre told the Hattiesburg American, “I’m late for a 9 o’clock meeting and I’m not lying.”

Favre had just finished running the stadium bleachers with his wife, Deanna.

A spokesperson in Bus Cook’s office confirmed that a meeting between Murphy, Favre and Cook was planned but stressed that no further comments would be forthcoming. The spokesperson said the parties involved would “probably be meeting for most of the day.”

Partial
07-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Murphy: “Will you not come back?”

Favre: “No. Will you release me?”

Murphy: “No. Will you not come back?”

Cook: “These pretzels are making me thirsty.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 11:51 AM

The fair competition has already happened. The coaches have their reasons for choosing Rodgers over Favre, and I'm not going to run through all the theories, but it is their call. They know what Favre can and can't do.

Farve is a backup QB for the Packers. If he can't accept that role, the Packers are completely justified in locking him out of camp.

If he can accept his new role, there are a couple ways that Favre could become the starter again sometime this season.

MOBB DEEP
07-30-2008, 11:54 AM

The fair competition has already happened. The coaches have their reasons for choosing Rodgers over Favre, and I'm not going to run through all the theories, but it is their call. They know what Favre can and can't do.

Favre is a backup QB for the Packers. If he can't accept that role, the Packers are completely justified in locking him out of camp.

If he can accept his new role, there are a couple ways that Favre could become the starter again sometime this season.

harlan, do YOU thnk #4 or #12 gves us best chance to get to tampa?

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 11:55 AM

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 11:56 AM
#4But TT & M3 believe it to be #12. Theirs are the only opnions that count.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM

right. I see good arguments on both sides. put me under the bright lights, and I'd have to say Favre still is probably better. But the coaches are MUCH closer to the situation, and they look at a TON of variables.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 12:02 PM

right. I see good arguments on both sides. put me under the bright lights, and I'd have to say Favre still is probably better. But the coaches are MUCH closer to the situation, and they look at a TON of variables.Which is why I support their decision and back them 100% in this. Of course, Brett's prima donna, whiny child act makes it easier.

GBRulz
07-30-2008, 12:05 PM
I am so impressed that of the hundreds of times I've read the phrase prima donna on here, that nobody has typed it as "Pre-Madonna". LOL - who the hell did that last year...was that JH??

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 12:06 PM
I am so impressed that of the hundreds of times I've read the phrase prima donna on here, that nobody has typed it as "Pre-Madonna". LOL - who the hell did that last year...was that JH??Actually, I think it was used just weeks ago duriing the Madonna/Alex Rodriguez thing.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 12:07 PM
But TT & M3 believe it to be #12. Theirs are the only opnions that count.

I'm not sure you can say that TT and MM believe that Rodgers is better than Favre right now.

They believe the switch is the best move to make right now. Those guys just got their contract extensions, so immediate results aren't at the top of their priority list. Maintaining a winner long term is.

GBRulz
07-30-2008, 12:08 PM
It most certainly could have been. But I remember last year someone said it and of course, were referencing Favre. It cracked me up.

GBRulz
07-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Nothing interesting here....but the GBPG just put this out......

11:45 a.m. update: Favre's agent meeting with Murphy

Hattiesburg American • July 30, 2008

HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Several media outlets are currently camped out at the office of Brett Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, as the two met with Green Bay Packers’ President and CEO Mark Murphy behind closed doors this morning.
Advertisement

When approached after the workout, Favre told the Hattiesburg American, “I’m late for a 9 o’clock meeting and I’m not lying.”

A spokesperson in Cook’s office confirmed that a meeting between Murphy, Favre and Cook was planned but stressed that no further comments would be forthcoming. The spokesperson said the parties involved would “probably be meeting for most of the day.”

Murphy flew into Hattiesburg late Tuesday night for discussions aimed at keeping Favre out of the Packers’ training camp until the sticky situation can be resolved.

After this morning’s training camp practice, Coach Mike McCarthy said he hasn’t spoken to Favre and is leaving the situation in the hands of Murphy and GM Ted Thompson, so he can focus on football.

Favre, who announced his retirement in March, approached the Packers earlier this month about returning but was rebuffed by team officials who had made a decision to name Aaron Rodgers as the No. 1 quarterback.

Favre still has two years remaining on his current contract with the Packers and has not been given a release by the team. On Tuesday, Favre sent officials paperwork to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell applying for reinstatement. Once Goodell approves the application, Favre is free to report to training camp.

Zool
07-30-2008, 12:22 PM

HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Several media outlets are currently camped out at the office of Brett Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, as the two met with Green Bay Packers’ President and CEO Mark Murphy behind closed doors this morning.
Advertisement

A spokesperson in Cook’s office confirmed that a meeting between Murphy, Favre and Cook was planned but stressed that no further comments would be forthcoming. The spokesperson said the parties involved would “probably be meeting for most of the day.”

Murphy flew into Hattiesburg late Tuesday night for discussions aimed at keeping Favre out of the Packers’ training camp until the sticky situation can be resolved.

After this morning’s training camp practice, Coach Mike McCarthy said he hasn’t spoken to Favre and is leaving the situation in the hands of Murphy and GM Ted Thompson, so he can focus on football.

Favre, who announced his retirement in March, approached the Packers earlier this month about returning but was rebuffed by team officials who had made a decision to name Aaron Rodgers as the No. 1 quarterback.

Favre still has two years remaining on his current contract with the Packers and has not been given a release by the team. On Tuesday, Favre sent officials paperwork to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell applying for reinstatement. Once Goodell approves the application, Favre is free to report to training camp.

I should work for the media. Hell they cant even get it right in his home town.

GBRulz
07-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Another update....yawn....

3 p.m. update: Murphy, agent continue meeting without Favre

HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Green Bay Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy is still meeting behind closed doors this afternoon with James “Bus” Cook, agent for longtime Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

Murphy flew into Hattiesburg late Tuesday night to meet with Favre and Cook about whether Favre should report to training camp. Favre, who retired in March, is seeking reinstatement to the team.

Favre arrived a few minutes late for the scheduled 9 a.m. meeting, then left alone at 12:30 p.m. He had not returned to Cook’s office as of 2:30 p.m.

Michelle Beisner, a reporter with the NFL Network, managed to corner Cook for a few seconds during a break in the discussions with Murphy. According to Beisner, Cook indicated that things “were going well” and the meeting could last at least a couple more hours.

Favre left the meeting without commenting.

GBRulz
07-30-2008, 03:07 PM

Advertisement

I should work for the media. Hell they cant even get it right in his home town.

I thought that was what it was, too? The 08-09 season and the 09-10 season.