PDA

View Full Version : Vets want Favre back

Partial
07-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Barnett and Pickett have gone on record saying they want Favre to be the quarterback if he is better.

Way to F this one up Sidewinder. If those guys feel that way, its likely imo that Chuck, Al, Donald, Mark, Chad, Aaron feel that way as well, aka the players that make will make the Packers good this year.

Bojive.

boiga
07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Although I feel like I should know better, I'll give you a little more fuel for your argument.

Woodson was chanting "We Want Brett" to the press on his way back in from practice today.

Sure, he completely recanted that during his press interview, but he did chant. Still, all of the guys are supporting Rodgers until the brass tells them not to. None can see the potential for division on the team. Watch the videos at the official site.

Pacopete4
07-29-2008, 11:54 PM
yessssssssssssss..... of course they want him.. only idiots dont want him

digitaldean
07-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Man, that has to suck. TC is tough enough as it is. Then you have all the national media in asking the same question dozens of times. Plus some have their own opinion on who they want to lead the team.

The coaches and mgmt. had better get this straightened out one way or the other. That being said, those who have voiced their opinions better understand that anything public, no matter how innocent, how it may be could build more division on this team.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2008, 11:58 PM
have you noticed that is always defensive players who speak out on QB issues?

the offensive guys have to hedge their bets .

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Although I feel like I should know better, I'll give you a little more fuel for your argument.

Woodson was chanting "We Want Brett" to the press on his way back in from practice today.

Sure, he completely recanted that during his press interview, but he did chant. Still, all of the guys are supporting Rodgers until the brass tells them not to. None can see the potential for division on the team. Watch the videos at the official site.

You misunderstood, he chanted "we want brett in minnesota" He wants to pad his interception totals.

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 12:03 AM

You misunderstood, he chanted "we want brett in minnesota" He wants to pad his interception totals.

Too good of a chance MN kicks our ass if Favre goes there

The Gunshooter
07-30-2008, 12:06 AM
I think of Brett not as a gunslinger anymore but more of a bed$hitter running in quicksand. Only idiots live in the past.

MadtownPacker
07-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Only idiots live in the past.I agree but 8 months ago is not really much in the past.

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 12:08 AM
not sure about your in the past comment, but if not for Brady's great season last year Favre could have been the MVP. He handles this poorly but he's still a very good football player at the least

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Barnett and Pickett have gone on record saying they want Favre to be the quarterback if he is better.

Source? Or are you just misconstruing words?

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:12 AM
ive been looking too.. cant find anything on that happening...

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 12:13 AM
So much bullshit passed along, it's hard to believe anything.

"Nah, not at all," insisted veteran cornerback Charles Woodson, who had some fun with the media after practice by chanting 'We want Brett' as he walked past the horde of reporters waiting for the start of Head Coach Mike McCarthy's press conference.

"We're expected to be professionals and handle it that way. What we understand is A-Rod is our guy, he's always been our guy, as far as starting quarterback the whole offseason, starting camp. There's no reason for anybody in this locker room to take sides or say in the media they prefer one guy over the other. It's A-Rod's job, and at this point it's his job to keep."

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 12:13 AM

Figures. You always gotta check on that Partial....snake in the grass, that's what he is.

MadtownPacker
07-30-2008, 12:14 AM
have you noticed that is always defensive players who speak out on QB issues?

the offensive guys have to hedge their bets .So what does that say about the team in general? Does it mean that the reality is the players who start want him back? Woodson and Harris have nothing to do with offense so it really isnt going to affect what happens to their side of the ball. They are just speaking what they see as the truth.

No fair competition is what will cause a rift.

Partial
07-30-2008, 12:20 AM

Figures. You always gotta check on that Partial....snake in the grass, that's what he is.

bullshit. Read JSO. Both said they would welcome Favre back with open arms and want the better player as QB.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:22 AM
link it Partial.. cant find it

Partial
07-30-2008, 12:27 AM
link it Partial.. cant find it

"I don't know who else I'm speaking for but I would like him to stay here," Pickett said. "We love him. Great teammate, one of the best teammates you ever been around. 'A-Rod' is our quarterback now. We believe in him and we believe in Brett. I think he'd make us better."

"If it so happens that Brett's here and he ends up being the best for our team, I'm sure he'll play," linebacker Nick Barnett said. "If not, then Aaron Rodgers will play."

Read between the lines.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:28 AM
link me....

packers11
07-30-2008, 12:29 AM
“Him being around, that’s the biggest thing,” Driver said. “We have so much fun with him around. It’s a good thing he’s back and coming back here. You have a different love for him than anybody else.

“My love for him is different than any other guy in the locker room. I’m glad he signed the papers and decided to come back for another year.”

"he said he was looking forward to the moment Favre walked through the locker room door."

- Donald Driver

texaspackerbacker
07-30-2008, 12:31 AM

Way to F this one up Sidewinder. If those guys feel that way, its likely imo that Chuck, Al, Donald, Mark, Chad, Aaron feel that way as well, aka the players that make will make the Packers good this year.

Bojive.

Can't you just imagine the leading question being as to these guys by some shit-for-brains media asshole? IF he is better ....... did the dipshit reporter think to ask whether they think he will be better--or more precisely, whether the team would be better with Favre starting?

Obviously, Thompson, McCarthy, Murphy, and probably a bunch of the players think the team would NOT be better off with Favre starting. WHY do some of you in this forum feel the need to disagree?

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 12:34 AM

Bojive.

Can't you just imagine the leading question being as to these guys by some shit-for-brains media asshole? IF he is better ....... did the dipshit reporter think to ask whether they think he will be better--or more precisely, whether the team would be better with Favre starting?

Obviously, Thompson, McCarthy, Murphy, and probably a bunch of the players think the team would NOT be better off with Favre starting. WHY do some of you in this forum feel the need to disagree?

I've never heard MM nor Murphy say anything about the team being better without Favre... as a matter of fact I never heard TT said it either... he even dodged the question in his press conference about who gives them a better chance to win...

MOBB DEEP
07-30-2008, 12:34 AM
“Him being around, that’s the biggest thing,” Driver said. “We have so much fun with him around. It’s a good thing he’s back and coming back here. You have a different love for him than anybody else.

“My love for him is different than any other guy in the locker room. I’m glad he signed the papers and decided to come back for another year.”

"he said he was looking forward to the moment Favre walked through the locker room door."

- Donald Driver

its been all over nfl network......DUH

Partial
07-30-2008, 12:36 AM
"We Want Brett" - Chuck Woodson

I don't remember Al's words, but they certainly alluded to him wanting Brett back in the worst way.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 12:40 AM

He's screwing around with the media. Jesus Christ, P, become a politician or something. You're great at taking words completely out of context.

Partial
07-30-2008, 12:41 AM

He's screwing around with the media. Jesus Christ, P, become a politician or something. You're great at taking words completely out of context.

He still said it. I'm sure there is truth behind it. You act as if he didn't do it intentionally, full well knowing he probably got scoulded by MM for disrespecting for tarnishing the golden boys confidence.

The Gunshooter
07-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Any NFL quarterback would of had good statistics for GB last year, even Rex Grossman. He got his records and he got to $hit the bed one last time so he has nothing to prove to me. I already knew he was a choker 13 years ago. Do we really need to watch him $hit the bed again to see the obvious?

Hey, maybe Rodgers is not a bedshitter, maybe he will be so brittle he won't get the chance to choke but I would sure like to see GB build into a dynasty around a young QB. That seems to make a heck of a lot sense to me.

Only idiots live in the past.I agree but 8 months ago is not really much in the past.

Bretsky
07-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Any NFL quarterback would of had good statistics for GB last year, even Rex Grossman. He got his records and he got to $hit the bed one last time so he has nothing to prove to me. I already knew he was a choker 13 years ago. Do we really need to watch him $hit the bed again to see the obvious?

Hey, maybe Rodgers is not a bedshitter, maybe he will be so brittle he won't get the chance to choke but I would sure like to see GB build into a dynasty around a young QB. That seems to make a heck of a lot sense to me.

Wasn't he winning a Super Bowl about 13 years ago :?:

Last year he showed what he could do with good WR options

As far as Rex Grossman or any QB being able to put up good stats...hard to even comment on that. GB was 13-3 and IMO any QB would not have been able to bring out those results. Even the majority of anti Favre members would agree with that.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Bretsky.. they will see how good Favre was this season if he is not under center..

please do not type back I'm bashing Rodgers, paaalease.. he just is not going to be as good IMO and we will struggle at times this season and in the future

Partial
07-30-2008, 01:02 AM

How can you say that?!? It has yet to be seen if the offense is nearly as productive without Favre. Furthermore, Favre did it without a running game for half the season and still played quite well. Teams were dropping 6 guys!!

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 01:06 AM

He still said it. I'm sure there is truth behind it. You act as if he didn't do it intentionally, full well knowing he probably got scoulded by MM for disrespecting for tarnishing the golden boys confidence.

I'm sure he has been whipped by Mike for saying that. But these guys look at the media circus and just laugh at the ridiculousness of it. They look at these guys, pleading for something, anything, to write in the paper. And I'm sure guys like Chuck figure "eh, what the hell, why not have some fun?"

I'm sure there are vets that would like Favre back. I'm sure there are vets that are tired of Favre's shadow and would like a new start. I'm sure there are youngins that want to roll with A-Rod. I'm sure there are youngins that want Brett.

However, I can say with confidence that this team has no problem with Aaron as their QB.

Pacopete4
07-30-2008, 01:09 AM

I'm sure he has been whipped by Mike for saying that. But these guys look at the media circus and just laugh at the ridiculousness of it. They look at these guys, pleading for something, anything, to write in the paper. And I'm sure guys like Chuck figure "eh, what the hell, why not have some fun?"

I'm sure there are vets that would like Favre back. I'm sure there are vets that are tired of Favre's shadow and would like a new start. I'm sure there are youngins that want to roll with A-Rod. I'm sure there are youngins that want Brett.

However, I can say with confidence that this team has no problem with Aaron as their QB.

Confidence will be won and lost as the team wins and looses... just as it always has been

boiga
07-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Agreed Ballhawk. If you watch those interviews, it would be hard to imagine the team getting divided over this. They are all big on doing their jobs and not making trouble. Arod's their guy until they are told differently.

Although, James Jones had a great interview today. He was begging the NFLN people to invite him on so that people would start being able to recognize him. Jennings was cracking up in the background.

Merlin
07-30-2008, 02:03 AM
Players will guard their words carefully and not come out and say that they want Favre as the starter. There are too many things thatcan backfire on them. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who has a better change of leading the Packers to a successful 2008 and the veteran players know this. Too bad Ted is a rocket scientist....just ask him, he won't deny it...

The Gunshooter
07-30-2008, 02:04 AM

Wasn't he winning a Super Bowl about 13 years ago :?:

Last year he showed what he could do with good WR options

As far as Rex Grossman or any QB being able to put up good stats...hard to even comment on that. GB was 13-3 and IMO any QB would not have been able to bring out those results. Even the majority of anti Favre members would agree with that.

That's right, 13 years ago. That's 1996 and today is 2008. He would of been hard pressed to choke in his first Super Bowl seeing how GB was way better than NE that year. Don't forget 1995 when he threw the winning score in the NFC final, to the wrong team. That's when I realized he was no Montana.

In 2006 there was talk about Grossman for MVP. That lasted until Chicago started losing players to injury.

Remember how Favre used to start games and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn because he was so nervous? Well guess what? He will crack under pressure and TT and MM know it. In the Giants game the interception he threw late in the 4th quarter rolling left was due to age. A young Favre gets his body around quicker and gets more on the ball. The interception in overtime was typical of evenly matched huge games. The Dallas fiasco when he kept trying to force the ball down field was typical as well.

The Gunshooter
07-30-2008, 02:14 AM

How can you say that?!? It has yet to be seen if the offense is nearly as productive without Favre. Furthermore, Favre did it without a running game for half the season and still played quite well. Teams were dropping 6 guys!!

How can I say that? I watched the preseason games and saw the best QB GB had was Aaron Rodgers and he proved it again in the Dallas game. Now I want to find out how Rodgers plays when he has a chance to decide the outcome of a huge game because I know Favre will choke everytime. Do you really believe TT and MM don't know this? I believe Rodgers has a chance to be really, really good and I will be suprised if he doesn't make the pro bowl this year.

LEWCWA
07-30-2008, 03:26 AM
Of course the players want Brett back. He is the better player. This is a political decision and has nothing to do with who is the better player!

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 04:38 AM

Source? Or are you just misconstruing words?He is miscontuing words. What they really said is "Aaron Rodgers is our qurterback now, IF Brett becomes our QB, we are fine with that too." In no way did they go against Rodgers. like Partial thinks.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 04:42 AM
Players will guard their words carefully and not come out and say that they want Favre as the starter. There are too many things thatcan backfire on them. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who has a better change of leading the Packers to a successful 2008 and the veteran players know this. Too bad Ted is a rocket scientist....just ask him, he won't deny it...No you don't. WE don't know becuase Rodgers hasn' been given a chance yet. And judging by previous camps over the last 10-15 years, Rodgers has a very good chance to beat out Favre as Favre hasn't had a good camp since 1997. IF there had been a true camp competition Matt Hasselback would be our starting QB right now. Only Favre jock sniffers would assume what you do. Of course, the first three letters describe you perfectly.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 07:46 AM

Any veteran is going to want the BETTER quarterback. Players want to win...NOW.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 07:47 AM
IF there had been a true camp competition Matt Hasselback would be our starting QB right now.

Which is why you thankfully aren't involved in the decision making for the Packers.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 07:51 AM

And Rodgers is still under contract through 2009...and the Packers could franchise him after that if need be.

The notion that 2008 is somehow the last chance to give Rodgers a chance is silly. If Rodgers doesn't start until 2009...but has a very good season and bonds with the offense...why would he leave the talented offensive roster we have to go somewhere else and start over? Chances are, he'd stay here...even with all the drama the last few years.

Zool
07-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Or Favre starts again this year, has another good year, retires again in March. In June of 09 he says he wants to come back yet again......fucking circus is getting old.

Lurker64
07-30-2008, 07:55 AM
IF there had been a true camp competition Matt Hasselback would be our starting QB right now.

Which is why you thankfully aren't involved in the decision making for the Packers.

I think it's also largely an indication that throughout his career "preseason performance" has never exactly been #4's forte.

In 2005 he was 26/45 for 250 yards 3 TDs and 2 INTs.
In 2006 he was 34/58 for 451 yards 3 TDs and 1 INT.
In 2007 he was 31/49 for 293 yards 2 TDs and 0 INT.

Nothing against Brett, but he hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire in preseason in recent memory. When you put up a completion percentage better than 60% once in three years of preseason play, that's not exactly something you brag about.

(For comparison in 2007 preseason play Aaron Rodgers was 37/59 for 382 yards 3 TDs and 0 INTs, so he wasn't exactly greatly outplayed by Favre.)

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Or Favre starts again this year, has another good year, retires again in March. In June of 09 he says he wants to come back yet again......fucking circus is getting old.

I'm on record as saying that if the Packers bring Favre back that they make it clear this is his last year in Green Bay.

I agree...the circus is old, but I'd be willing to give Favre one last shot with a team that was on the doorstep in 2007.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Nothing against Brett, but he hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire in preseason in recent memory. When you put up a completion percentage better than 60% once in three years of preseason play, that's not exactly something you brag about.

Who the fuck cares?

What are Brett's career stats when it counts? Oh yeah...he's pretty damn good.

Why the fuck would anyone care what Favre did in meaningless preseason games? The fact you are bringing it up is a huge reach IMO.

Are you suggesting Favre is crappy and should not have been starting for the Packers the last 16 years?

Just what the hell is your point? Teams have gone 0-4 in the preseason and gone on to tear up the league when it counts. Preseason is about one thing for a proven guy like Favre...STAYING HEALTHY.

If Favre was in a competition in camp...believe me, he'd kick Rodgers ass.

mission
07-30-2008, 08:26 AM

Who the fuck cares?

What are Brett's career stats when it counts? Oh yeah...he's pretty damn good.

Why the fuck would anyone care what Favre did in meaningless preseason games? The fact you are bringing it up is a huge reach IMO.

Are you suggesting Favre is crappy and should not have been starting for the Packers the last 16 years?

Just what the hell is your point? Teams have gone 0-4 in the preseason and gone on to tear up the league when it counts. Preseason is about one thing for a proven guy like Favre...STAYING HEALTHY.

uh... when it counts? like the playoffs?

do you really want his stats?

the point fucking is ...

I dont care if aaron rodgers has us go 9-7 and barely make it through the first couple rounds of the playoffs... if eli manning can MANAGE a football game and play mistake free football in consecutive games enough to win a super bowl stats dont mean shit to me.

I DONT EXPECT RODGERS TO HAVE BETTER STATS THAN FAVRE!!!

I EXPECT HIM TO PLAY CLOSER TO MISTAKE FREE FOOTBALL AT A MORE CONSISTENT BASIS (BRETTS CAREER LONG DOWNFALL)

if our LEADER (you know what a leader does right? they lead, they set the tone) curls up in a ball cuz it's cold outside then 13-3 when it's warm outside doesnt mean a fucking thing.

our man needs to SHOW UP every SUNDAY. not just when his bones feel up for it.

brett himself said he cant do 100%... he couldnt even do it last year when he WAS committed.

anyone screaming violently for favre with blind acceptance to TDs and yard statistics has never played football and a relatively high level... i dont know anyone in coaching circles who doesnt see a lot of these "leadership" problems inherent to this situation.

ya driver wants favre around ... he's his old buddy and he's really fun.

but really fun and getting lifted up after a touchdown and locker room practical jokes is a far cry from playing within the boundaries of an offense. something favre has barely been able to do in his most well-behaved moments ... which, given a lot of these comments, i honestly just dont trust the mf'er right now.

i almost think if he got into a sideline argument with MM, that he'd just say fuck it and throw it up ... he's gotta that big baby, my ball and going home attitude right now.

prsnfoto
07-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Players will guard their words carefully and not come out and say that they want Favre as the starter. There are too many things thatcan backfire on them. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who has a better change of leading the Packers to a successful 2008 and the veteran players know this. Too bad Ted is a rocket scientist....just ask him, he won't deny it...No you don't. WE don't know becuase Rodgers hasn' been given a chance yet. And judging by previous camps over the last 10-15 years, Rodgers has a very good chance to beat out Favre as Favre hasn't had a good camp since 1997. IF there had been a true camp competition Matt Hasselback would be our starting QB right now. Only Favre jock sniffers would assume what you do. Of course, the first three letters describe you perfectly.

I would like to know why this poster is allowed to constantly personally attack other posters and when I one time the other night threatened to kick his ass my post was deleted,(because it was a personal attack) he calls everyone that disagrees with him a jocksniffer or some other homosexual term(most likely because he is one and I don't have a problem with that) the guy is a bigger douche than Tank and has no knowledge of football whatsoever, You hate Brett Favre we get it go crawl back on top of your sister and wait to post til ya got something constuctive to say.

Partial
07-30-2008, 08:38 AM

I think it's also largely an indication that throughout his career "preseason performance" has never exactly been #4's forte.

(For comparison in 2007 preseason play Aaron Rodgers was 37/59 for 382 yards 3 TDs and 0 INTs, so he wasn't exactly greatly outplayed by Favre.)

You fail to recognize that Favre would play against legit defenses, and A-Rod/Hass would play against scrubs.

Partial
07-30-2008, 08:40 AM

We'll see how they feel if we start 1-3, a very good possibility with the competition (Dallas, Minnesota against a new QB in his first game), on the road in the Dome in Detroit, then at Tampa in the heat.

mission
07-30-2008, 08:42 AM

You fail to recognize that Favre would play against legit defenses, and A-Rod/Hass would play against scrubs.

Who is Rodgers playing *with* against these scrubs?

:doh:

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 08:59 AM
do you really want his stats?

Sure...post them. Also post the circumstances of the games...such as having several injured starters out of the game, no support from the running game, etc, etc.

Favre's postseason stats are weighed down by two games...the STL debacle, where the Rams were by far the better team and Green Bay was outclassed...and the ATL game where half our starting offense was either out with injury or less than 100%.

I EXPECT HIM TO PLAY CLOSER TO MISTAKE FREE FOOTBALL AT A MORE CONSISTENT BASIS (BRETTS CAREER LONG DOWNFALL)[/b]

Mistake free football? From an inexperienced first time starter? Whatever.

Manning did what he did because guys made incredible catches...that Favre really didn't get. He got Martin dropping a makeable catch in the 4th quarter against the Giants in a crucial situation.

Manning did what he did because his defense was getting incredible pressure on opposing QBs and the entire defense played very well. Against the Giants, the Packer defense looked very ordinary.

Manning did what he did because he had a running game that worked. Against the Giants, Ryan Grant had 13 carries for 29 yards. That isn't much of a help.

If you want to sit here and suggest that all the wrongs of the Packers in the postseason are on Favre, fine.

You are wrong though.

Favre did not have a great game against the Giants, but he kept Green Bay in the game with 2 TD passes when most other QBs would have faltered in those conditions without any support from a running game.

Favre was the main reason the team got to where it did last season. He carried the team in the first half of the year without any kind of running game, and put up a season that was arguably as good as any he ever had.

Criticizing that and questioning Favre's leadership makes you look foolish IMO.

Chevelle2
07-30-2008, 09:01 AM

You fail to realize Arod plays with the second team offense.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Stop comparing preseason performances people.

Favre's stats are meaningless...without a competition, what did he really have to play for?

Rodgers' stats are also mostly meaningless...he was playing with a lot of guys who weren't NFL caliber.

Neither played against defenses that were tuned and tweaked to stop their gameplan or specific talents.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Trying to take meaning out of the preseason is like trying to take meaning out of a pitcher's performance in spring training. Meaningless.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 09:23 AM

Which is why you thankfully aren't involved in the decision making for the Packers.I don't think Matt Hasselbeck would be a bad option. But it is fact that Matt outplyed Favre in preseason for several straight seasons and Favre hasn't had a good camp in over 10 years. All im pointing out is that you can't(as you continue to do as you sniff Favre's jock ans kiss his ass) automatically conclude that Brett would win the competition with ARod hands down. Not my fault you are butt hurt by the facts.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 09:38 AM
But it is fact that Matt outplyed Favre in preseason for several straight seasons and Favre hasn't had a good camp in over 10 years.

The fact is that Favre had no reason to play well in 10 straight camps. All he had to do was stay healthy, because everyone knew what he could do once the lights came on for real.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 09:44 AM

You fail to recognize that Favre would play against legit defenses, and A-Rod/Hass would play against scrubs.Legit defenses that were bacically phoning it in over scrubs who are trying to make the team.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Stop comparing preseason performances people.

Favre's stats are meaningless...without a competition, what did he really have to play for?

Rodgers' stats are also mostly meaningless...he was playing with a lot of guys who weren't NFL caliber.

Neither played against defenses that were tuned and tweaked to stop their gameplan or specific talents.Here come the excuses. I bet if Favre's numbers were greatly superior to Rodgers I wouldn't hear the same thing out of your mouth. Only what fits your agenda.

mmmdk
07-30-2008, 09:47 AM
But it is fact that Matt outplyed Favre in preseason for several straight seasons and Favre hasn't had a good camp in over 10 years.

The fact is that Favre had no reason to play well in 10 straight camps. All he had to do was stay healthy, because everyone knew what he could do once the lights came on for real.

Favre has numerous times, not resently though, said that he'd love to "just" play on sundays. Won't happen with McCarthy as our HC; He'd start Flynn over an unprepared Favre.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Here come the excuses. I bet if Favre's numbers were greatly superior to Rodgers I wouldn't hear the same thing out of your mouth. Only what fits your agenda.

Preseason is mostly meaningless for any established veteran NFL QB.

That is fact...it isn't anything that fits my agenda. I don't have an agenda. Apparently you do.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 10:18 AM
While no player was foolish enough to state his preference on the record, several said there are many young players who support the unproven Rodgers as the starter while a few veterans are thought to prefer the proven Favre...

"We'll handle it fine," said 10-year veteran Donald Driver, who was clearly happy about the news of Favre's impending return. "We'll welcome him in, he's back in business, and when we come in we'll just pick up where we left off."

Compare that to the reaction of second-year man James Jones, who worked out with Rodgers in Southern California this offseason and said, "I have a better relationship with Aaron than I do with Brett, but the organization is going to do what they're going to do. I have no say-so. I just have to catch passes, whoever is throwing them."

Veteran cornerback Charles Woodson found himself torn.

"My feeling is, he never should've retired. I don't believe in being pressured to retire. This is Brett Favre. You don't pressure Brett Favre into retiring. So you wish he never had retired," Woodson said. "(Then again), my opinion is, OK, we've seen Brett play, we know what he can do. We've seen him have bad years, bad games, too. We haven't seen anything of A-Rod for a whole season. So how do we know what we gain or what we lose unless we see him?

"I've seen enough of (Rodgers) in practice to know he can play. Now is just the thing of going out and being a consistent. You don't know until you get further down the line, but I think he's going to be all right."

Patler
07-30-2008, 10:28 AM
While no player was foolish enough to state his preference on the record, several said there are many young players who support the unproven Rodgers as the starter while a few veterans are thought to prefer the proven Favre...

"We'll handle it fine," said 10-year veteran Donald Driver, who was clearly happy about the news of Favre's impending return. "We'll welcome him in, he's back in business, and when we come in we'll just pick up where we left off."

Compare that to the reaction of second-year man James Jones, who worked out with Rodgers in Southern California this offseason and said, "I have a better relationship with Aaron than I do with Brett, but the organization is going to do what they're going to do. I have no say-so. I just have to catch passes, whoever is throwing them."

"My feeling is, he never should've retired. I don't believe in being pressured to retire. This is Brett Favre. You don't pressure Brett Favre into retiring. So you wish he never had retired," Woodson said. "(Then again), my opinion is, OK, we've seen Brett play, we know what he can do. We've seen him have bad years, bad games, too. We haven't seen anything of A-Rod for a whole season. So how do we know what we gain or what we lose unless we see him?

"I've seen enough of (Rodgers) in practice to know he can play. Now is just the thing of going out and being a consistent. You don't know until you get further down the line, but I think he's going to be all right."

The Packers really do have a lot of very level-headed players. I am confident they will handle this well, whatever the outcome is.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 10:31 AM
The Packers really do have a lot of very level-headed players. I am confident they will handle this well, whatever the outcome is.

Indeed. Makes you think how other teams would of handled it. I don't think any team's players could of handled it better than the Packers. I can think of a few teams that could have handled it worse....

Chevelle2
07-30-2008, 10:31 AM

I agree, very level headed, very classy......Driver, Tausch, Woodson, all of them. Very impressive and refreshing.

boiga
07-30-2008, 02:05 PM
You guys might want to check Driver's interview today: http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/2008_training_camp/video_20080730__f007b48a8aa1__ce892b6ee717/

Jones and Jennings have him doing push ups in front of the camera to help him avoid more Favre questions.

He also says that Favre would still be a leader on this team, but that Aaron's doing great. You can tell he's getting sick of the media too.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Here come the excuses. I bet if Favre's numbers were greatly superior to Rodgers I wouldn't hear the same thing out of your mouth. Only what fits your agenda.

Preseason is mostly meaningless for any established veteran NFL QB.

That is fact...it isn't anything that fits my agenda. I don't have an agenda. Apparently you do.I don't have an agenda. All I am doing is supporting the breen Bay Packers. You on the other hand support a player who has

1. Hidden behind his mother brother and agent, letting them talk for him.

2. Went on national TV and threw the orginization under the bus,

3. Distorts or lies about what TT says to him

4. Whines becuase he is not allowed to make GM moves.

Along with that, you refuse to hold Brett accountable for anything and think he should be given his old job back no strings attached, even after every BS stunt he has pulled, simply becuase you have hated TT since day one. Yes you have an agenda.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Along with that, you refuse to hold Brett accountable for anything and think he should be given his old job back no strings attached, even after every BS stunt he has pulled, simply becuase you have hated TT since day one. Yes you have an agenda.

I haven't hated Thompson since day one. I've supported Thompson by and large, although I've had differences with him on some issues. For the most part, he's a very good GM...especially in terms of recognizing college talent, which is the most important aspect to a GM's job IMO.

I don't think Favre should come back and be given his old job back. He should have to earn it, and I think Rodgers should be given a greater role in the offense...to keep defenses honest and Favre fresh. I do believe Favre would have no trouble proving he is better than Rodgers right now...his experience is a trump card that Rodgers simply can't match right now.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM

Players want to win...that is true..but, they don't necessarily want the "better" qb.

Brett may be the "better" qb..but, maybe the qb who makes the least amount of mistakes, who doesn't go off the script and stays within the framework of the offense presents the best chance to win.

That is something that brett will never offer. When the going gets really tough...brett will improvise..and that can kill a team.

mission
07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
edit

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
That is something that brett will never offer. When the going gets really tough...brett will improvise..and that can kill a team.

Yeah...he killed them after they got in a 14-0 hole against Seatlle. The going got tough, and he let them down.

Bottom line: Favre came up BIG last year at least 5 times for every time he came up small.

mission
07-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Yeah...he killed them after they got in a 14-0 hole against Seatlle. The going got tough, and he let them down.

Bottom line: Favre came up BIG last year at least 5 times for every time he came up small.

Yeah that Seattle game got us that big um ... what trophy was that ?

Fuck, I can't remember.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 03:57 PM

Yeah...he killed them after they got in a 14-0 hole against Seatlle. The going got tough, and he let them down.I see your Seattle and raise you a 5-Int game against Cincinatti, 6-int game against STL, and host of games in 2005.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I see your Seattle and raise you a 5-Int game against Cincinatti, 6-int game against STL, and host of games in 2005.

2005? When Favre was playing with guys like Gado and Taco Wallace? Yawn.

The endless campaign to prove that Favre is some kind of threat to Green Bay's success is entirely laughable. The guy proved himself as one of the best QBs to ever play the game...period.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 03:58 PM

Players want to win...that is true..but, they don't necessarily want the "better" qb.

Man, I agree with Tyrone. Maybe a lot of the players think Rodgers is close to Favre in ability and provides the best hope for the future. Throw in the fact that they wouldn't have to deal with the media circus and might get more credit for some of the team's success--and you might have a lot more players supporting Rodgers than many think.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Maybe a lot of the players think Rodgers is close to Favre in ability and provides the best hope for the future.

Best hope for the future...sure. That's a no-brainer.

Close to Favre in ability now? That is just a stretch IMO. How can anyone honestly think Rodgers could put up an MVP worthy performance in 2008 as a first time starter? Yeah, I know Favre isn't guaranteed to do that either...but it wouldn't be nearly as difficult to imagine as it would for Rodgers.

RIPackerFan
07-30-2008, 04:04 PM
What's great about this conversation is that we will actually get to see who is right.

I personally think that Arod will struggle. The experience factor alone is huge. It seems last year that every other TD was an audible called by Favre to the receivers. I just don't think Arod will be able to do that yet.

Who knows, I may be wrong....but we will get to see - won't we.

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM

Brett may be the "better" qb..but, maybe the qb who makes the least amount of mistakes, who doesn't go off the script and stays within the framework of the offense presents the best chance to win.

But you have to admit that 'shovel pass in the snow' was amazing. :wink:

mission
07-30-2008, 04:07 PM
We dont need audibles for touchdowns.

We need 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Close to Favre in ability now? That is just a stretch IMO. How can anyone honestly think Rodgers could put up an MVP worthy performance in 2008 as a first time starter? Yeah, I know Favre isn't guaranteed to do that either...but it wouldn't be nearly as difficult to imagine as it would for Rodgers.

Favre was awesome last year. However, with Favre's mental state and lack of commitment this offseason (plus, his age), I doubt whether he'd have the same kind of success this year. Even if he came back, I would have expected a dropoff. If he provides something closer to 2006 (I think 2005 was an aberration) than 2007, then it's not inconceivable that Rodgers could be close to his level THIS YEAR. Of course, we don't know if Rodgers can stay healthy. The coaches seem to really like him. His teammates also seem to believe in his ability. The only thing we can go off of is preseason and the Dallas game. He looked great against Dallas (but it's just one game) and he's looked good the last two preseasons (but it's just preseason).

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 04:11 PM
What's great about this conversation is that we will actually get to see who is right.

I personally think that Arod will struggle. The experience factor alone is huge. It seems last year that every other TD was an audible called by Favre to the receivers. I just don't think Arod will be able to do that yet.

Who knows, I may be wrong....but we will get to see - won't we.

I don't necessarily disagree, but he's been the offense for 3 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if the learning curve is small. Durability is my main concern. If Thompson doesn't sign a veteran QB, he'll get valid criticism if Rodgers gets injured and Brohm isn't up to task.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Favre will not go out with a bang, I just hope he doesn't go out with a whimper.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
I see your Seattle and raise you a 5-Int game against Cincinatti, 6-int game against STL, and host of games in 2005.

2005? When Favre was playing with guys like Gado and Taco Wallace? Yawn.

The endless campaign to prove that Favre is some kind of threat to Green Bay's success is entirely laughable. The guy proved himself as one of the best QBs to ever play the game...period.
You seem to forget that CIncinatti game. You know the one where the defense kept giving him the ball back, shut down Chad Johnson & Carson Palmer, and Favre kept giving the ball back.

Also, so what if he is proven? He is also proven in 2005 to be a detriment as well. Who cares what the talent was. HE still threw the ints, many of which would have been avoided if he actually used common sense. No one has labeled him a threat to the team. He has been labeled a selfish, whiny petulant primadonna and spoiled brat who got butt hurt becuase the Packers no longer bow down to the almighty Favre and cater to his every whim by dropping all plans to suit his needs. Its people like you that think Favre can do no wrong that has gotten him this feeling of self entitlement.
From the looks of things, you got butt hurt too.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 04:17 PM
You seem to forget that CIncinatti game. You know the one where the defense kept giving him the ball back, shut down Chad Johnson & Carson Palmer, and Favre kept giving the ball back.

C'mon, CPK, you know the drill. When Favre puts up big numbers it's because he's the most talented man on earth. When he puts up bad numbers it's because the team around him isn't good enough.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 04:19 PM

Sure...Favre has bad games. Every QB does. Pointing to a handful of games and saying "Favre sucks...he can't be counted on" is ridiculous.

Guess what...Rodgers will have his share of duds too. And he's likely to have more of them in his first season of action than at any other time.

That is my point.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 04:20 PM

C'mon, CPK, you know the drill. When Favre puts up big numbers it's because he's the most talented man on earth. When he puts up bad numbers it's because the team around him isn't good enough.Yes I know, I forgot. I'll remember in the future. I promise.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 04:21 PM
From the looks of things, you got butt hurt too.

What the fuck is this? Are you retarded, or do you actually try to look like a douche?

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
I give him a pass on the 2005 season. That was an incredibly fluky season with all of the injuries to the skill position. Obviously, he didn't handle being on a bad team with poor skill position talent around him very well, but I doubt any QB would have done well. At least, he showed the heart to keep firing. A lot of guys would have protected their own stats with that team, but he was still trying to win every game--his stats be damned.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM

I prefer that he come up big in meaningful games...like the last one of the season.

What makes brett magical is also what makes him problematic.

Point being is that nothing you've said changes the fact that perhaps what this team needs is less magic and more game manager.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM

Sure...Favre has bad games. Every QB does. Pointing to a handful of games and saying "Favre sucks...he can't be counted on" is ridiculous.

Guess what...Rodgers will have his share of duds too. And he's likely to have more of them in his first season of action than at any other time.

That is my point.But you were the one only pointing to the Seattle game to make a point. I rebutted with a bunch of games. Also sayinbg ARod sucks, like you have is rediculous becuase he hasn't been given the chance.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't necessarily disagree, but he's been the offense for 3 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if the learning curve is small.

My concern for experience doesn't lie with the offense Harvey. I'm sure Rodgers will be fine there.

His lack of experience standing under center and reading a defense during the regular season is my concern. Will he be able to correct diagnose what the defense is trying to do and be able to know where to go with the ball? That is where Favre has a huge advantage on Rodgers.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 04:25 PM
But you were the one only pointing to the Seattle game to make a point.

Yeah...to mock you.

Picking out a game here or a game there is STUPID. As I've maintained...Favre is a FUCKING LEGEND, so sitting here and trying to tell us how much he holds the team back is ridiculous. You don't earn a first ballot ticket to Canton by holding your team back.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 04:26 PM
His lack of experience standing under center and reading a defense during the regular season is my concern. Will he be able to correct diagnose what the defense is trying to do and be able to know where to go with the ball? That is where Favre has a huge advantage on Rodgers.

He'll have growing pains, but I don't think they'll be that pronounced. He's not some rookie. He's smart. He's been learning behind one of the best ever for 3 years. He has a head coach with a proven history for developing QBs. He has talent around him, so he shouldn't feel like he has to do it all--unless all of this media pressure gets to him.

The Leaper
07-30-2008, 04:27 PM
I prefer that he come up big in meaningful games...like the last one of the season.

If he doesn't come up big against Seattle Ty, it is our last game of the season.

Are you arguing that the Seattle playoff game has less significance than any other playoff game?

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Hopefully, he'll be as prepared as Tony Romo was after sitting on the bench for a few years.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 04:29 PM
I give him a pass on the 2005 season. That was an incredibly fluky season with all of the injuries to the skill position. Obviously, he didn't handle being on a bad team with poor skill position talent around him very well, but I doubt any QB would have done well. At least, he showed the heart to keep firing. A lot of guys would have protected their own stats with that team, but he was still trying to win every game--his stats be damned.And this is the exact BS I have a problem with and why Favre has these feelings of self entitlement. No accountability becuase "He was trying to win the game." I don't give a shit if he was trying to win the gaem. That is no excuse for dimwitted INT's. I don't care that he had trhe heart to keep firing. That kept killing the team. Absolute BS.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-30-2008, 04:33 PM

If he doesn't come up big against Seattle Ty, it is our last game of the season.

Are you arguing that the Seattle playoff game has less significance than any other playoff game?

NO, you are mentioning games.

I'm suggesting that "coming up big" or "choking" or "stupid picks" perhaps should be something that can hinder a team.

Brett is a gunslinger..and for the right team that can work...but, the team that is being created and coached by TT and MM seems to be one that doesn't play to brett's nature nor does it want to.

Trent Dilfer won a superbowl. Brad Johnson won a superbowl. Perhaps that is the road that is best to take with this team and for the foreseable future.

MadtownPacker
07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Hopefully, he'll be as prepared as Tony Romo was after sitting on the bench for a few years.Do you really wish that on him? I dont.

packinpatland
07-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Hopefully, he'll be as prepared as Tony Romo was after sitting on the bench for a few years.Do you really wish that on him? I dont.

So....what's the scoop on Aaron's love life.......any Jessicas we need to worry about?
I've got 2 single daughters....... :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2008, 04:36 PM

I'd take Rodgers putting up these numbers:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6624/career;_ylt=AkIPfZEnRppWXmTZEHUGm_r.uLYF

Sure, they've had playoff failures, but so has Favre. It's a team game, right? Maybe Rodgers could put up those numbers and then in the playoffs he shows Tom Brady-like guts.

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
But you were the one only pointing to the Seattle game to make a point.

Yeah...to mock you.

Picking out a game here or a game there is STUPID. As I've maintained...Favre is a FUCKING LEGEND, so sitting here and trying to tell us how much he holds the team back is ridiculous. You don't earn a first ballot ticket to Canton by holding your team back.Thge one you responded to with the Seattle game wasn't me. So your attempt is a FAIL. Im not the one saying he is holding the team back. Im saying the team should not give Favre what he wants after all the BS he has pulled. You seem to be fine with caving and automatically giving him the job back. Im willing to give Rodgers a chance and trust in management on this call. You refuse.