PDA

View Full Version : Getting out an apartment lease

Partial
07-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Anyone have any experience getting out of a lease? My apartment is on the border of Bayview and Walker Points and there has been a ridiculous amount of crime lately and that is very concerning to me.

Are there are rules regarding breakins and breaking a lease? One of the neighbors had their house broken into two days ago.

Each of my roomates had their tires slashed on separate nights in the past week. I've been fortunate to avoid this.

Last weekend, another neighbor had their car broken into and the stereo stolen.

Evidently their is a "fuck the yuppies" thing going on throughout Milwaukee with graffiti tags all over.

Unknown to me when I signed the lease, the basement apartment would be under construction so there are people coming in and out of it all day leaving the door open to the downstairs apartment (I have the third and fourth floor), and worst of all banging hammers, using saws, etc all day and more recently all night. I feel like this was an inappropriate to leave out when negotiating.

In summary, I am getting pretty concerned about my safety and the safety of my belongings in the apartment. I guess in the worst case scenario I would have to eat the 325 security deposit and have a hard time renting my next place, but I guess I could explain it if need be.

I'm really not interested in having my credit rating dinged, though.

It's really unfortunate, I have an absolutely gorgeous apartment (its a year old remodeled unit with 14 ft ceilings and lofted bedrooms, etc), but I just don't see it working out here if I have to live in constant fear for my safety.

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Get some landmines and a 12-gauge. You'll be fine. Just don't go eating at any Papa John's. I hear those places can be pretty dangerous.

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 01:47 AM
you can't just eat the deposit, they can still come after you for the term of the lease if they don't rerent the apt. If it sits empty for 2 months after you leave they can sue you for those 2 months. If you got X months on the lease and you walk, they can make you pay until they get it rerented.

MJZiggy
07-30-2008, 05:53 AM
Slashed tires and a stolen stereo are not a threat to your safety, P. Neither are grafitti tags and you'll have a hard time getting out of your lease because of any of them.

Now if there were a rash of rapes, muggings and murders on your block, you might be able to make a more convincing case.

In this one, what Bobblehead wrote was right. Suck it up and deal because otherwise you're on the hook for lost rent. And good luck finding the place in a city that has no crime at all.

SkinBasket
07-30-2008, 07:01 AM
Someone's learning what life's like outside the womb. It's not all hugs, hot chocolate, and warm blankets.

Zool
07-30-2008, 07:43 AM
You'd have to define "all night" as to the banging hammers. Maybe your downstairs neighbor is a sexual tyrannosaurus? Anything after 9pm and before 7am you can complain about. Maybe is your roommates and their "ho's" that are banging at all hours?

Just stay huddled in the corner till the lease is up. Get your blankey and your binkey. You'll be just fine.

GBRulz
07-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Bring in some roaches and rats and complain about an infestation problem. What I'm trying to say is that unless your health is in danger, you're not getting out of the lease.

If it were that easy, I'd ask my bank if i could get out of my mortgage payments because of area road construction and because my neighbors car got broken into. Think they would let me?

Only other option is to try and find a renter, otherwise you are responsible for the payments until the lease is up. They will take your sec deposit and apply to unpaid rent, yes...but you still have to pay the rest.

Partial
07-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Slashed tires and a stolen stereo are not a threat to your safety, P. Neither are grafitti tags and you'll have a hard time getting out of your lease because of any of them.

Now if there were a rash of rapes, muggings and murders on your block, you might be able to make a more convincing case.

In this one, what Bobblehead wrote was right. Suck it up and deal because otherwise you're on the hook for lost rent. And good luck finding the place in a city that has no crime at all.

A unit in our complex was broken into in the middle of the night. That's a threat imo.

I'm a suburban guy. It's pathetic that you have to worry about your stuff all the time in the city.

Partial
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
You'd have to define "all night" as to the banging hammers. Maybe your downstairs neighbor is a sexual tyrannosaurus? Anything after 9pm and before 7am you can complain about. Maybe is your roommates and their "ho's" that are banging at all hours?

Just stay huddled in the corner till the lease is up. Get your blankey and your binkey. You'll be just fine.

No one lives there. They're redoing some apartments.

All night is literally 24/7. They've got two staffs of people working on them all hours of the day.

Zool
07-30-2008, 09:59 AM

All night is literally 24/7. They've got two staffs of people working on them all hours of the day.

I cant quote MKE noise ordinances, but here its 7am-9pm. Anything outside those boundaries, you can call the police to file a noise complaint.

SkinBasket
07-30-2008, 10:57 AM

I cant quote MKE noise ordinances, but here its 7am-9pm. Anything outside those boundaries, you can call the police to file a noise complaint.

It's probably in your best interest to notify the landlord that you intend to call in noise complaints if the work isn't stopped.

Zool
07-30-2008, 10:59 AM

It's probably in your best interest to notify the landlord that you intend to call in noise complaints if the work isn't stopped.

Fuck that. He wants out of the place anyways. Burn that bridge P and burn it good.

Charles Woodson
07-30-2008, 12:59 PM
P,
Ive been working on some leases for my dads company and basically if you want out you'll have to pay the rest of what your committed to.
It just depends how bad you want out.

Partial
07-30-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't care about the noise. Not going to do anything about it unless I can use it to get out of the lease. I care more about the crime.

SkinBasket
07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't care about the noise. Not going to do anything about it unless I can use it to get out of the lease. I care more about the crime.

You shouldn't have been such a cheap fuck when looking for a place to live I guess. If you want to feel like a debutante, you got to pay like one.

Freak Out
07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Threaten the landlord you pussy. I thought you Spartan dudes were badass? Tell them you're gone...you're tired of the noise and crime and if they don't give you your deposit back and free you from the lease you'll beat the fuck out of them.

Zool
07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
I thought you Spartan dudes were badass?

SPARTANS!

TONIGHT WE DINE IN OUR ROOM WITH THE SHADES DRAWN AND THE DOORS LOCKED!!!!

Tyrone Bigguns
07-30-2008, 03:05 PM
I for one am shocked.

Shocked to find out that a 400 dollar apartment, shared with friends hasn't turned out to be the utopia promulgated by Partial. :roll:

BallHawk
07-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I thought you Spartan dudes were badass?

SPARTANS!

TONIGHT WE DINE IN OUR ROOM WITH THE SHADES DRAWN AND THE DOORS LOCKED!!!!

Epic.

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Personally I would write a letter to the landlord. I would tell him that even though I signed a contract it seems that what they have in mind for you isn't what you want. I would ask for my immediate release for all you have done for the organization.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Personally I would write a letter to the landlord. I would tell him that even though I signed a contract it seems that what they have in mind for you isn't what you want. I would ask for my immediate release for all you have done for the organization.

That is completely the wrong way of going about things.

1. Have your mom, dad, siblings and any other relative speak for you. Disparage landlord constantly.
2. Deny problems with roommates and apartment. You love apartment, but roommates don't want you. Landlord doesn't want you. You have unfailing paid rent, yet they want you gone. You are puzzled.
2a. Protest when roommates find subletter and want you to move, yet you aren't ready to move. Leave subletter hanging.
3. Plead your case that you never wanted to sign lease..you were pressured into it by mom/dad and friends. Is it so wrong to change your mind.
4. Retreat to parent's pad...call news and plead case to bad biz reporter..see what he or she can do.
5. Discuss other apartments you might want to live in, but only because current apartment and roommates don't want you.