PDA

View Full Version : Mike Montgomery

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 11:05 AM
I know this is off topic in the favre room but:

I stated in an earlier post that this camp is important for some players and one i mentioned was Montgomery. I think he needs a HUGE and healthy camp to stick cuz otherwise they will keep anyone who is equal but even younger.

So as I scanned the 1 on 1 matchups in the JS blog it seems he is looking good in that regard. Where it normally say KGB over Moll or whoever, every time I saw Montgomery it was followed by Dismantles. That is a good sign and if he turns into a player in this critical year for him that would be a huge bonus. Maybe even allow Jenkins to play DT if we are shallow there.

On another sidenote Blackman seems 100% healthy and that is what he needs to stick, at least as the return man, if we are lucky even more, although it seems I read he was beat in 11 on 11 several times.

ND72
07-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Tony Moll got beat 3 out of 3 times yesterday on 1 on 1's...NOT exactly a huge fight. I would rather see Montgomery against a top flight guy. When Montgomery went against Colledge yesterday, Colledge stonewalled him.

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
I saw that too, not looking good for Moll after basically being inneffective last year he also needs a huge camp, he could be gone after we drafted a couple tackles.

ahaha
07-30-2008, 11:41 AM
After reading those play by play descriptions, it seems like Patrick Lee is getting beat by everyone.

boiga
07-30-2008, 11:45 AM
After reading those play by play descriptions, it seems like Patrick Lee is getting beat by everyone.That's to be expected though. He's young and has an extremely limited amount of experience. If he has talent and stays healthy, though he could still be a valuable project. Harris stank for his first couple of seasons over at Philly, but he learned. Tramon stunk last year, but he learned

Lee can learn too.

pittstang5
07-30-2008, 02:59 PM
If I remember correctly. Montgomery was having a nice camp last year and again, if I remember correctly, did pretty well in a preseason game or two, before he got hurt. I honestly can't remember if he got hurt prior to a presason game or not, but something in my mind, I remember thinking, damn...maybe he shows up this year (refering to last year).

DonHutson
07-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I agree on Montgomery. If it comes down to him or Jason Hunter, Hunter might get the nod based on special teams. Montgomery is more useful from scrimmage, but Hunter made some nice plays on the cover teams last year.

However, all the injuries at DT should help him out. If Cullen Jenkins has to play inside more often that means Montgomery would be needed at DE.

falco
07-30-2008, 05:30 PM
After reading those play by play descriptions, it seems like Patrick Lee is getting beat by everyone.That's to be expected though. He's young and has an extremely limited amount of experience. If he has talent and stays healthy, though he could still be a valuable project. Harris stank for his first couple of seasons over at Philly, but he learned. Tramon stunk last year, but he learned

Lee can learn too.

you son of a bitch...and i was just starting to like you :evil:

KYPack
07-30-2008, 05:44 PM
I know this is off topic in the favre room but:

I stated in an earlier post that this camp is important for some players and one i mentioned was Montgomery. I think he needs a HUGE and healthy camp to stick cuz otherwise they will keep anyone who is equal but even younger.

So as I scanned the 1 on 1 matchups in the JS blog it seems he is looking good in that regard. Where it normally say KGB over Moll or whoever, every time I saw Montgomery it was followed by Dismantles. That is a good sign and if he turns into a player in this critical year for him that would be a huge bonus. Maybe even allow Jenkins to play DT if we are shallow there.

On another sidenote Blackman seems 100% healthy and that is what he needs to stick, at least as the return man, if we are lucky even more, although it seems I read he was beat in 11 on 11 several times.

This is definitely Mike M's turn to come on. ND says Colledge stoned him. I assume then Colldege was playing LT. That's good from the standpoint that Daryn is now moved to his natural position. DC is a decent young LT. Playing around Chad has rubbed off on Colledge. The guy gets into his drop quickly and effectively. Let DC be a backup guard (Barbre is a big strong boy) and back-up LT.

Montgomery needs to play his way into a job. He's right there, but if he doesn't shine, give one of the kids a chance.

Blackman?

I love the kid. He ain't much of a DB. Doesn't know how to play safety or CB yet. But he will. He still a fish out of water at DB, but he is a brilliant return guy. We need a spot for this kid. he could make a difference for us.

boiga
07-30-2008, 05:47 PM

Lee can learn too.

you son of a bitch...and i was just starting to like you :evil: I meant at the start of last year. The fact that he improved is my major point.

falco
07-30-2008, 05:50 PM

Lee can learn too.

you son of a bitch...and i was just starting to like you :evil: I meant at the start of last year. The fact that he improved is my major point.

i'm just messing you, everyone's gotta start somewhere, shit even Al the great harris was a nickel back in philly

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 05:52 PM

Lee can learn too.

i'm just messing you, everyone's gotta start somewhere, shit even Al the great harris was a nickel back in philly

If I remember correctly al was on tampa's practice squad first, or was it oaklands...anyway, he couldn't make a roster at first.

bobblehead
07-30-2008, 11:43 PM
shamelessly stolen from the JS chat and bumping my own thread:

Q: Ryan Peterson of Ankeny, IA - Hi Greg. I know if was only a drill, but it sounds like Montgomery was impressive last practice. Do you think he could emerge as a legitimate starting DE? Or just a situational guy?

A: Greg Bedard - Hey...a football question! Montgomery has looked very, very good. I want to see what he does in games before making any determination, but he's been intriguing. He's also been lining up a lot as a tackle in rush situations. I think that's it for now. My head is spinning a little bit (at least more than normal). See you around the blog.

I liked hearing that, maybe I will get on Monty like Falco is on TWill

bobblehead
08-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Ok, here I go again.

from the JS blog:

Defensive end Michael Montgomery continued his strong camp by looking impressive in one-on-ones and two-on-twos. In the latter session, Montgomery shoved 308-pound tackle Ryan Considine out of the way like he was half that size.

I'm liking monty. Falco is on TWilliams. Ballhawk is on Ruvell.

Come on rats, pledge your allegance to a nonstarter who is gonna be big this year.

boiga
08-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Let's see, motife already has Sitton, so I guess I'll go with Tory Humphrey. Considering his bad luck over the past few years and high praise from the coaches, I think he deserves a shot.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
It's too late to jump on a bandwagon.
:D

We all know who is looking good, so far. If I had to pick, I'm jumping on the Tramon bandwagon.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
I still think Jordy is going to be an impact player.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Ok, here I go again.

from the JS blog:

Defensive end Michael Montgomery continued his strong camp by looking impressive in one-on-ones and two-on-twos. In the latter session, Montgomery shoved 308-pound tackle Ryan Considine out of the way like he was half that size.

Come on rats, pledge your allegance to a nonstarter who is gonna be big this year.

I'd say Jordy Nelson, but since Green Bay may start some games going 4 wide I guess that makes him a part time starter.

Hmm.

Aaron Rouse, if he doesn't beat out Nick Collins for the starting job, but I think he might...

This is tough without knowing who the starters are yet!

Guiness
08-07-2008, 01:31 PM

I'm going to go with Sitton.

Partially because of how well he seems to be doing. A rookie getting reps with the first team, ahead of 3rd and 4th year guys, and a DT giving him praise.

Partially because I think that's a big area of need. Having a good, solid guard in there will do wonders for the stability of the line. Whether he starts now, or in week 3 when Coston gets hurt, I'll be pulling for him.

Spaulding
08-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Mark me down for Blackmon. This is the year he stays healthy and although Tramon has nickel down, Blackmon gets the nod in dime packages and kicks ass in the return department.

Joemailman
08-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Tony Moll got beat 3 out of 3 times yesterday on 1 on 1's...NOT exactly a huge fight. I would rather see Montgomery against a top flight guy. When Montgomery went against Colledge yesterday, Colledge stonewalled him.

Montgomery never does well against top guys. He's a stud in the 2nd half of preseason games when he goes up against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I expect he'll be beat out by Hunter and Thompson. Not to be confused with Hunter Thompson.

arcilite
08-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Can someone mark me down for Aaron Rouse?

I love the guy.

I've also had season tickets to VT games...so I may be a little biased too.

But I would love to see him be starter this season.

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 02:07 PM

I love the guy.

You and me both. It's not so much I love Aaron Rouse, it's that I really don't like Nick Collins. I think Rouse can be a very good player, but I'm not sold on him as a top guy. But, hey, he can't be worse than Nick.

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 02:27 PM

I love the guy.

You and me both. It's not so much I love Aaron Rouse, it's that I really don't like Nick Collins. I think Rouse can be a very good player, but I'm not sold on him as a top guy. But, hey, he can't be worse than Nick.

Doesn't seem like we've heard much from Bigby this offseason at all. I've seen plenty of big plays from Rouse and Collins, but nothing (that I can remember) from Atari. Of course, he shows up more when hitting is going on, but it's still possible we see a Rouse/Collins safety tandem.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 02:30 PM

I love the guy.

Doesn't seem like we've heard much from Bigby this offseason at all. I've seen plenty of big plays from Rouse and Collins, but nothing (that I can remember) from Atari. Of course, he shows up more when hitting is going on, but it's still possible we see a Rouse/Collins safety tandem.

You are right, Bigby is a heavy hitter. He won't make much noise during limited contact drills. His ability in coverage has always been suspect.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Montgomery never does well against top guys. He's a stud in the 2nd half of preseason games when he goes up against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I expect he'll be beat out by Hunter and Thompson. Not to be confused with Hunter Thompson.

I don't know. It's too early to write the book on him. He's been a young guy that's slowly gotten better. Maybe he's ready to contribute. There have been a lot of guys that did little their first couple of years in the league, but then turned into good players (Corey Williams and Cullen Jenkins come to mind). Guys get better, but it takes experience and a lot of work in the offseason.

bobblehead
08-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Ok, here I go again.

from the JS blog:

I'd say Jordy Nelson, but since Green Bay may start some games going 4 wide I guess that makes him a part time starter.

Hmm.

Aaron Rouse, if he doesn't beat out Nick Collins for the starting job, but I think he might...

You can pick a guy who isn't starting NOW....if he emerges as a starter that is great.

bobblehead
08-07-2008, 06:19 PM

But he is coming on now, and thus I believe he is going to take the next step. No way in hell Thompson gets more time than monty unless monty somehow misses the cut.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Ok, here I go again.

from the JS blog:

Hmm.

You can pick a guy who isn't starting NOW....if he emerges as a starter that is great.

Fine. Put me down for Aaron Rouse.