PDA

View Full Version : Does any of this remind you all of Steve McNair?

PackerBlues
07-30-2008, 11:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McNair

Steve McNair was asked to work out some place other than Baptist Sports Park with the team during the Titans' offseason conditioning program, ostensibly for fear that an injury would make the team liable for the entire amount of his $5,000,000 salary cap hit for 2006, which would limit their ability to sign their 2006 draft picks.[2]

Then, on Sunday, April 30, 2006, the Titans allowed McNair and his agent, Bus Cook to speak with the Baltimore Ravens to try to work out a deal. On May 1st, 2006, the Baltimore Sun stated that the Baltimore Ravens might wait for McNair to be released by the Titans during free agency. Speculation was that the Titans might hold onto McNair until the week before training camp in late July if the Ravens didn't come up with a satisfactory trade offer for McNair according to a league source. It's been said that the Titans had less than $500,000 in cap room with McNair on their roster and would have been unable to sign their draft picks. That never happened. On June 7, 2006, The Titans and Ravens worked out a deal to send McNair to the Ravens for a 4th-round pick in the 2007 draft. On June 8, McNair flew to Baltimore, passed a physical, and was announced as the newest member of the Ravens.

A lot of the details are the same:

1) McNair had a bad season with the Titans as the team became the youngest in the NFL.

2) Titans tell McNair he is not welcome at camp.

3) Same agent as Favre.

The biggest difference is the timeline and how quickly management dealt with the problem. In the end, the Titans, an AFC South team managed to work a deal with the Ravens, an AFC North team..............for a 4th round pick. In the meantime, the Packers strategy still seems to be to ignore Favre's desire to play this year in hopes that the problem will just disapear. :roll:

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 11:21 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McNair

Steve McNair was asked to work out some place other than Baptist Sports Park with the team during the Titans' offseason conditioning program, ostensibly for fear that an injury would make the team liable for the entire amount of his $5,000,000 salary cap hit for 2006, which would limit their ability to sign their 2006 draft picks.[2]

Then, on Sunday, April 30, 2006, the Titans allowed McNair and his agent, Bus Cook to speak with the Baltimore Ravens to try to work out a deal. On May 1st, 2006, the Baltimore Sun stated that the Baltimore Ravens might wait for McNair to be released by the Titans during free agency. Speculation was that the Titans might hold onto McNair until the week before training camp in late July if the Ravens didn't come up with a satisfactory trade offer for McNair according to a league source. It's been said that the Titans had less than $500,000 in cap room with McNair on their roster and would have been unable to sign their draft picks. That never happened. On June 7, 2006, The Titans and Ravens worked out a deal to send McNair to the Ravens for a 4th-round pick in the 2007 draft. On June 8, McNair flew to Baltimore, passed a physical, and was announced as the newest member of the Ravens.

A lot of the details are the same:

1) McNair had a bad season with the Titans as the team became the youngest in the NFL.

2) Titans tell McNair he is not welcome at camp.

3) Same agent as Favre.

The biggest difference is the timeline and how quickly management dealt with the problem. In the end, the Titans, an AFC South team managed to work a deal with the Ravens, an AFC North team..............for a 4th round pick. In the meantime, the Packers strategy still seems to be to ignore Favre's desire to play this year in hopes that the problem will just disapear. :roll:You left out the part about trying to trade to the bucs and Jets. Thats not ignoring by any means.

sepporepi
07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
I think the most important difference is the cap room.

Titans had <1M

Packers have >30M (>18M with Favre back)

We can sign all draft picks, Grant and still give 3-5 guys extensions even with Favre on the roster.

PackerBlues
07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
You left out the part about trying to trade to the bucs and Jets. Thats not ignoring by any means.

Not much of a choice either.

Prior to todays news of Murphy's flight to Mississippi, M3 said that Favre would be welcomed back to the Packers..... wonder what happened there. :?:

I seem to remember that the Titans were dragging their feet with McNair too. Didn't it come down to them being told to either work a trade or release McNair as well?

cpk1994
07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
You left out the part about trying to trade to the bucs and Jets. Thats not ignoring by any means.

Not much of a choice either.

Prior to todays news of Murphy's flight to Mississippi, M3 said that Favre would be welcomed back to the Packers..... wonder what happened there. :?

Nothing. M3 never once said Favre wasn't welcome. The only one who has claimed he wasn't welcome was Favre himself. And since Favre hasn't been totally turthful this off season, I don't believe Favre is being anymore truthful with that claim.

sharpe1027
07-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't remember McNair refusing to cooperate with trade efforts, thereby making it difficult to get a deal done.

PackerBlues
07-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't remember McNair refusing to cooperate with trade efforts, thereby making it difficult to get a deal done.

And I don't remember Favre refusing to cooperate with trade efforts either. Just the same, the Titans were willing to make a trade within the AFC, and for a 4th round pick. The Packers want at least a 1st :roll: ..........

Zool
07-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Just the same, the Titans were willing to make a trade within the AFC, and for a 4th round pick. The Packers want at least a 1st :roll: ..........

So by this estimation, you feel that McNair with a bad back is worth about as much as a healthy Favre. Good logic.

Chevelle2
07-30-2008, 12:13 PM

And I don't remember Favre refusing to cooperate with trade efforts either.

He refuses to give a list of teams that he would like to play for.

sharpe1027
07-30-2008, 12:16 PM

And I don't remember Favre refusing to cooperate with trade efforts either. Just the same, the Titans were willing to make a trade within the AFC, and for a 4th round pick. The Packers want at least a 1st :roll: ..........

No they don't. At least you have know way of knowing that for sure. I read that they wanted a 3rd and a player and that there was some talk of a 1st rounder, but that it was likely conditional. It's called negotiations and for all we know the Titans started by asking for a 1st. Also, the Packers are willing to trade within the NFC.

In any event, Favre refuses to talk with teams that might be interested in him and will not offer any teams that he would want to be traded to. I call that refusing to cooperate.

cheesner
07-30-2008, 12:19 PM

And I don't remember Favre refusing to cooperate with trade efforts either.

He refuses to give a list of teams that he would like to play for.
He tried to force the Packers to cut him. Why would a team trade for him if he may be cut?

DonHutson
07-30-2008, 12:39 PM
The difference is McNair didn't retire, come back, back out, then come back again right before camp.

The Titans and Ravens both knew for sure he wanted to play, because he was clear about his intentions.

Chevelle2
07-30-2008, 12:40 PM
The difference is McNair didn't retire, come back, back out, then come back again right before camp.

The Titans and Ravens both knew for sure he wanted to play, because he was clear about his intentions.

He didn't blast the GM or Coach on Natl TV either.